Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ True Colors ❯ Green-A New Beginning ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I've got to get this story moving, otherwise I may not clean out my brain of all the plot-bunnies (instead of dust bunnies!) and down on paper in time! Anyways, you will see a few more references to CCS in here that I thought was mighty creative of me! I will also try to add the color of the chapter in more. If you are interested in where I am getting much of my color info, here is a website I would recommend: http://people.smu.edu/bbnelson/colors.htm. Oh, and a side note, it will probably be Sakura's POV for a while, hope you don't mind, but I've got much of this figured out, so it is just a matter of getting it upload (and typed, unfortunately I am a slow typist, but bear with me!). Please, R&R!
 
Title: True Colors
Rating: T for Teen
Genre: Romance/Adventure
Type: Alternate Universe
 
Summary: Sakura is a servant in the castle of the kingdom, sold by her family when they are in crisis and meets Syaoran, who finds his that icy heart melts when he sees the vulnerable Sakura. Will love prevail when status gets in the way? S/S
 
Sakura: 17
Syaoran: 17
 
Disclaimer: Card Captor Sakura and all its characters are owned by me only in my dreams (No, really it is owned by CLAMP). Everything else is mine (I think…).
 
Green-A New Beginning
 
She returned, made some anonymous, overused excuse to where she had been, and started dinner with what little they had. Everything went smooth, until dinner, when her father and Touya returned home from the fields.
 
Sakura had been picking at her meal, dreaming of Wolf with his amber eyes, and less of the tragic news she heard last night. It was when Fugitaka cleared his throat that Sakura came to full attention after going back through her time spent with Wolf, after all she hardly met anybody that struck her so, let alone an attractive man. “I have come to a decision,” he simply stated.
 
Sakura tensed, knowing what was coming next, “I have come to the decision through much debate that Sakura will no longer be living with us. She will travel to her cousin Tomoyo and find work in their company. She will send us a generous portion of her wages and we will not have to feed her, though I wish I could…” the last part of his speech trailed off as he looked down to avoid the shame of his family seeing his tears.
 
Touya stood up immediately, his defense mechanism kicking in, “How can you do this?! We can afford to keep her, after all I will be married soon, so feeding and housing will not be needed from you anymore.” Fugitaka cut him off here, with the silent signal of his hand, “I have talked to Kaho-san's parents and the wedding will be held off until the fall harvest is finished. I need you this year, Touya-san, I need to just finish this year then I can sell off a section of the land and plant a smaller amount of crops than previous years. But we can't keep Sakura-san any longer; otherwise we may not make it.”
 
Silence entered the home as all its residents stared at their plates, all in deep thought. It was finally Sakura that broke the silence, “I'll do it, for my family.” Touya began to protest but was silenced when the weakest of the group spoke, “Sakura-san, this is your destiny.” All stared back dumbfounded at not only her speaking (for the first time this story I might add) but at her words also.
 
“Many years back, when Sakura-san was a baby, I went to the market with Sakura carried in a basket and Sonomi, before she moved. There was a fortune teller present and I could tell that she was a powerful one at that, but I did not like to trifle with powerful things such as the future so I would have walked right on by. But Sonomi was intrigued and wished for me to get my fortune told, at her expense. I protested but finally resigned and allowed her to pay. But I foolishly asked for Sakura-san's fortune to be told instead of my own, with Sonomi being very unhappy.
 
“The fortune teller looked at the little sleeping baby in the basket and placed the cards in front of her. She then, after placing several and moving many around, turned over three. The first had a picture of a great white bird with giant wings enclosing it along with the words `The Fly' at the bottom. The second card laid down in front of me was the picture of a red heart with white wings coming out at the sides, without any text scrawled at the bottom. The last was that of a sword wrapped in chains with `The Sword' at the bottom.
 
“She studied the cards, looked back at Sakura-san, and made her prediction. I never forgot her words, maybe because of her great powers or the great claims she made. She said, `This child will go on a journey, where she will find love, danger, death, and her wings. Do not try to protect her from this task because no one can escape the inevitable forever.' Even though she said not to try to stop this from happening, I tried my best. There were many times where Sakura-san could have started her journey, but just as the fortune teller said, no one can stop the inevitable forever.”
 
Silence seeped into every being of the Kinomoto household, that even the floorboards seemed to emanate it. Even Touya was unusually quiet and only ate in silence. Sakura was the one to shatter the silence, “When do I leave?” Touya had stayed quiet for too long and burst forth, “You can't possibly still be thinking of going? Did you not hear the fortune teller say DANGER and DEATH! Do you not think that that could mean YOU as in YOUR death! I don't want to see in the near future your spirit wandering around near the farm!” Everyone in the family knew of Touya's ability to see spirits, as he had gotten it from his mother, but what was most odd was that it seemed that Sakura seemed to possess very little of this power, only being able to sense when one was around. Unfortunately, when a young Sakura would question to whom Touya was talking to when no one was around, he would say that ghosts were around and went into a horrifying description that sent her to tears, to this day Sakura is afraid of ghosts, storms, and things she doesn't understand (Now, back to the conversation after a brief history lesson!).
 
“I will go,” Sakura replied after Touya momentarily paused for a breath after his ranting, “No, I must go, if not for this family, then for myself, after all it is my destiny, even if it will be my undoing.” Touya's face turned several shades of purple, “Otou-san, how long do I have?” Touya then excused himself, wanting not to hurt anyone out of rage and exited to the outdoors.
 
“You have one week. A merchant caravan will be passing through here and on to Faulanda. They will take you to the market where Sonomi-san will be waiting. Sonomi-san will ensure employment and is trusted with a share of your wages to send home. She said that she has persuaded a young woman to hire you, plus it is the same woman Tomoyo-san works for.”
 
**Later that same night…**
 
Sakura slipped away from her parents after dinner and headed outside to check on her brother. She didn't notice him at first until the shadows seemed to move and she yelled “HHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEE!” Touya stepped out and put a finger to his lips signaling her to be quiet. As she caught her breath he then gestured for her to follow him. Touya led them to around the back of the house, where the moon shone dim rays on the ground and had some sight (Weird sentence, I know!).
 
Touya's back was facing her, in the direction of the moon, but Sakura was too perplexed by his odd behavior to notice its beauty, “Oni-chan, what is it you wanted out here?” Touya turned and faced her but his eyes would not meet hers, “When you leave, there will not be me or Otou-san to protect you, you will have to manage yourself. You already know of the many stories elderly ladies talk about that concern…um, well, you know.” Sakura nodded as her face flushed, “So to protect yourself, I will teach you some basic self-defense moves and Otou-san will practice with you on your sword techniques.”
 
Sakura took some time in digesting this information, that her brother would actually show her how to fend off bad men and that her father will practice sword techniques with her again. Her father had been a country knight before settling down to start a family. As a young child at the age of 4, she learned to wield a sword, that is, until her mother banned practice as it was not proper and needed for her to learn it when she turned 9. Sakura herself had not practiced with her childish wooden one, which she had hidden away from her mother, in many weeks (ok, I know, if she could use a sword why was she so scared when she saw Syaoran? The answer is that I hadn't thought of her using a sword until a few nights ago and at the time I wasn't that deep into the plot, like I am now. I am dying to get it all on paper SOON!). “When do I start?” she said a little too perky, maybe because she actually got permission to practice her swordplay.
 
“With me, now and after dinner every night, with Otou-san, in the mornings, so no sleeping in for you!” he added the last part with a snicker as he thought back on all the hundreds of times she has overslept. Unfortunately for him, she had gotten better at waking up with the sun. Sakura grumbled at his last comment. “Now, I will begin by showing you the weak points on a person.”
 
**The Next Day**
 
Sakura muttered under her breath curses upon herself and her stupidity. She was panting, sweat-streaked, and in some of her brother's clothes because she didn't want to do it in a dress. Either way, she was way out of practice and was the one lying on the ground with her wooden sword lying dejected to her left. She glared at it, wishing it would somehow give her magic skills to become a master swordsman (Neh, CCS reference to the sword card! I've got skills when it comes to these things *winks*!). Sitting up, she saw her father bringing back a flask of water. He handed it to her and she gratefully drank.
 
“I see that we will have to work hard if you want to be able to keep up with the average swordsman,” Sakura nodded and allowed him to continue, “But I know that you are putting your heart into it, so I am sure you will be fine. Just remember to practice your guard on your left side and to practice when you aren't doing chores.”
 
Sakura smiled up at her father, “Arigatou, Otou-san. I will practice and work hard!” Confidence burned in her eyes, `I hope before the week is up, that I will be able to make him proud!' Fugitaka's twinkled as he knew that this was the truth, “I must now get to work in the field and you must start breakfast, unless you want Touya-san to have another reason to tease you.”
 
Sakura's eyes widened, “I certainly don't!” She stood up and ran back inside, thinking of what to cook. Unfortunately for her, Touya was already up and complaining that even if Sakura as a cook, she was not worth the money if she always prepared it late (By the way, I apologize for my pathetic spelling skills when it comes to spelling out Japanese. If there is an error, please do not hesitate to complain and tell me *wimpers out of sorrow*).
 
Sakura continued her morning chores until almost noon where she practiced her sword techniques. When she felt ready to collapse from exhaustion and the heat (It is hot weather, partial to the drought's effects, and remember that she ha been exercising in the morning and now, plus they don't eat much. Now that I've ranted enough I will hopefully shut up for a while…Hopefully…), she went inside and began to pack her things.
 
She slowly lifted each of her possessions up, smelled its scent, and gently placed it in her trunk. All her dresses (as few as she had) her old, home-made cornhusk doll, her books, and the blanket her mother weaved for her. Tears stung her eyes as she shut the lid and took in her now half empty room. Without her special things, the room exuded a characterless aura (hint, hint, aura, that topic will be coming up later) that could only suit someone say, like her brother. She wiped her face with the back of her hand to erase the evidence, just in case her brother shows and has another embarrassing moment to report to his friend, Yukito.
 
She used to have a crush on him, until she saw him with another woman in the market. She cried for days after but in time she reasoned with herself that all along she knew that she wasn't meant to be with him. The day after this, she greeted Yukito normally, minus the blushes, and she wished him well, with whomever he chose to be with, which sent Yukito into a flurry of confusion.
 
She now knew that she could handle this change. Out of anyone she knew, she would be the one to overcome this challenge. She had faith and a fragile heart, but she would do this for others, even if she was the one to pay the price.
 
**Sunday, 5 days later**
 
Sakura had tried to act as normal as possible today, but knowing that that day is your last night at home is about as comforting as watching yourself bleed (at least I don't think that is comfortable!). She had prepared all the meals, cleaned the house, and practiced with her father and brother one last time. Fugitaka had been proud and impressed by her improvements that he himself bowed to her, causing her to blush in embarrassment. Touya, at best, had patted her head with his hand after they were done. In total, from all her lessons, she had polished her skills with a sword until she finally was able to disarm even Fugitaka and, from Touya, she had learned all the weak points on a person, several punches, kicks, and even more guards (I love girls who kick butt!).
 
It was late at night now, but no one had made any move to try to sleep. They all sat staring into the fire, all in deep contemplation. Sakura was the first to stand up and Nadeshiko followed. She motioned to Sakura to follow and did. She led her to their bedroom and opened her trunk at the end of their bed. She carefully laid out her jewelry box on the floor and lifted the lid. Inside were the few valuable treasures the Kinomoto family owned that had been passed down through the generations. Nadeshiko's fingers lingered over her amber amulet before taking it out and handing it to Sakura, “Sakura-san, I want you to have this. I know you have always fancied it and now it is time for it to be yours.”
 
Sakura began to protest and hand it back until she was silenced, “Please, take it, I don't have any other daughters to pass it on to. Even if you never come back, at least I will know that it made it through one more generation! Please, my dear Sakura-san…Please…” The tears in her mother's eyes only made Sakura sad too, so she held her mother in her arms. When both their tears subsided, Sakura looked into her mother's eyes, “Thank you, Okaa-san, I will never take it off,” she lifted the necklace over her head and positioned it under her dress.
 
A knock sounded from the door and Fugitaka came in. Seeing his wife on the ground he lifted her up and carried her back to the living room. After setting her back in a rocking chair, he returned and retrieved a bundle from a chest that had intricate carvings of creatures from Clow mythology. Sakura had never before seen the inside because her father had never aloud anyone but him to open it. He lifted out a small box and handed it to Sakura. She carefully opened it and found a small pendant inside.
 
It was shaped as a sword and was grey in color. At first glance it appeared ugly, especially for a girl, but it had a special quality to it that Sakura could not explain. “Is it a pendant?” she asked politely, not trying to offend her father who had just given her something that seemed important to him. “No, it is better,” he took the pendant from her hand and by whispering an incantation that she could not make out, the pendant grew to the size of a normal sword. It had a golden hilt and a silver sheen on the blade. Sakura was in awe of not only its beauty but also that it had just been seconds ago a small, grey pendant. After a moment, the great sword shrunk again to its portable size.
 
“This has been passed down through the generations in the Kinomoto family. It was created by a great grandfather of yours who was a sorcerer. I would like you to have it for your protection, after all defending yourself against assailants would be useless if you used your wooden practice sword! Here, place this in your palm and recite with me, `Key of the sword who protects the innocent, show your true form before me. I, Kinomoto Fugitaka, command you under the covenant. Release!'” Sakura did as she was told and said the spell along with him, adding her name instead of his, with the pendant growing brighter with each word. After the final part of the incantation, it grew to the perfect weight and size for her, it even looked different from when her father had used it.
 
Its hilt now was pink inlaid with gold and the blade was shiny silver until it reached the tip, where a gold coating and star detail was added. Sakura's eyes held awe, joy, and most of all, respect for her father and the weapon itself. “With every Kinomoto that has used that blade, it represented each person differently and individually. As you can see, it appears much different from the one I conjured. You can even change its appearance when it is small just by merely wishing it,” he then noticed that tears were streaming down Sakura's round cheeks, “What is it? Is something wrong?”
 
Sakura shook her head, “No, it is perfect, it is just that since I was little, I had wanted a sword such as this one, but when Okaa-san made me stop, I cast the wish away. Now that I have it, it just brings back memories of me yearning to begin lessons again and of owning a sword like this. I can't thank you enough for making one of my dearest wishes come true!” she hugged her father and he stroked her head. She pulled away after a little while and asked, “Now how do I make this small and change its appearance?”
 
Fugitaka chuckled, “All you have to do is merely wish it,”
 
“Really? It's that easy?” He nodded in reply. Sakura closed her eyes and imagined it in its portable size. She felt her hand become lighter, and when she opened her eyes, she only saw the pewter sword in her palm. She closed her hand around it and pictured the tree outside her house, the Sakura tree, the tree she was named after. When she opened her hand, she found not a pewter sword, but a pink and white cherry blossom charm.
 
She hadn't noticed her father disappear when she was in her imaginings and he then returned with a length of pink ribbon. He took her wrist, measured the right length, cut it, and tied a knot. “I'll leave enough ribbon so you can slip it off when need be,” he murmered, “Ther4e you look beautiful, just like your mother when she was your age,” Sakura blushed in return.
 
She had been told many times how she looked just like her mother. She was in fact, mostly like her except for her athletic abilities and her eyes. Here eyes could be compared to many things, clover, grass, mistletoe, any plant really, and most of all, emeralds. Her eyes were a rare shade amongst the most common in the country, brown. They would have attracted boys, if they all were not afraid of her infamous, protective brother, Touya.
 
Fugitaka patted Sakura's head, “I think it is a fine time to get some rest, tomorrow is a big day.” Sakura nodded solemnly.
 
**The Next Morning**
 
The merchant caravan arrived just when they said they would, a letdown for Sakura who only wanted to remain as she was for as long as possible. Her trunk had already been loaded onto one of the wagons and the caravan was waiting for her to say her farewells.
 
Sakura hugged her mother with as much strength as she felt comfortable with considering her weakened state. “I'm glad to see you wearing the amulet, you look so grown up with it on,” she put a hand on Sakura's amulet then cupped her face, meeting her dark eyes with Sakura's own green ones, “You now have wings and must leave the nest.”
 
Sakura's voice was filled with determination, “But I will fly back soon and return to a healthy you, okaa-san.”
 
“And I will await your return.” They broke the embrace and Nadeshiko wiped the tears that sprung in her eyes.
 
Fugitaka approached his daughter and handed her a basket, “Inside is a small amount of food for your journey. Since we have on many occasions given them hospitality, they are only too happy to return it by providing you with food and shelter until you reach you the capitol.”
 
Arigato, Otou-san.”
 
“Take care of yourself. We will see you in the fall and will contact you by letters.” They shared a hug and Touya approached Sakura. He hugged Sakura, which surprised her, and she stiffly hugged back even though she found this whole gesture a bit odd. It wasn't until hot breath tickled her ear that she understood why, “The rebels have entered the capitol and are at their strongest. Be on your best guard.”
 
The rebels. They started out as a group of agitated farmers that lost their land due to poverty and inability to pay taxes. Local gangs soon joined alongside them as they too were tired of the king's rule and his old, reserved ways. All this occurred the previous year and now it seemed a piece of the capitol was theirs, probably not too far from here too. If the king did not improve the forces, the country would be under the rebels' rule.
 
Touya broke the hug and rubbed Sakura's head, messing up her hair in the process, “See ya, Kaiju.” Sakura grumbled but restrained herself from stomping on his foot as her mother would chide her for it being `most inappropriate and unladylike.' `Just the way to ruin a perfect moment,” she thought, “Is this what I want to remember when I reminisce back to my last moments at home!', which she would be daydreaming quite often.
 
It is hard to think of any persons last anything's. It only depresses in the moment, but in the future it would become a comfort, even when Touya spoils it.
 
Fugitaka laid a comforting hand on Sakura's arm, “I am sure you will return to us safe and sound, so we will be eagerly awaiting your return.”
 
A teen boy came up to them from the merchant family, “We had better be leaving now if we want to make good time before nightfall.”
 
Sakura ran to where the ladies where assembling, requiring her to take small and fast steps do to her cotton, pheasant kimono and climbed in, a little unsteady do to the restriction of room her feet had. She allowed her feet to hang out the back and she waved as the wagons slowly retreated. Even though she kept a bright smile on her face as her family disappeared behind the trees, she felt her insides screaming. When they were long gone from view, she stopped her waving and allowed the built up tears to fall. Her shoulders sagged and she covered her face with her hands. She calmed when a comforting hand patted her shoulder. Sakura looked up to find a friendly face beaming down at her, “Goodbyes will get easier with time, trust me, but seeing how they looked when you left, I am sure the feeling was mutual. The best thing to do is to look toward the future. Let's start, I'm Adrienne,” she held out a calloused hand. Sakura took it with her own, “I'm Sakura.”
 
The woman seemed to be in her early twenties and had long, brown hair that reached to her middle back. On both sides near her face, strands were braided and tucked behind her ears. She wore red wool travel clothes and plain brown, leather shoes. Even though they did not have any embroidery, they were obviously done in the Faulandian fashion with the skirt blossoming out a little at the bottom.
“Is Adrienne a Faulandian name?” Sakura asked, stumbling over the `r' in her name.
 
Adrienne giggled, “Yes, it is, but you can call me Addy. I am from Faulanda but learned Clowese (the language of the Country or Clow, it is a pathetic name, but Clowd or Clown doesn't quite seem to cut it, right!) from the locals and my parents. In Faulanda, you say an `r' with a hard `r' sound, like you would if you were to say `grrr'.” Her face contorted into a mock menacing one as she growled, making Sakura laugh. “You try,” Adrienne said.
 
Sakura attempted to make a menacing face and this sent Addy into giggling fits, especially when she growled. Even though she could growl, she could not put it into the context of Adrielle's name. This caused Sakura to pout.
 
After Addy had settled and began to breathe normally she managed to talk, “It will get easier with time, though I think it will be in your best interest to learn Faulandian.”
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
Finally, this story is beginning to take shape! I am so glad it is starting to get moving! Next chapter, Syaoran should make an appearance, maybe even in his POV. Oh, and I just found out that my POVs aren't exactly in first person format, so maybe I will fix my previous chapters and I know for sure they will be correct in the future! And for all you avid readers out there (I already have fans! And it is only my first fanfic!), I have decided not to scrap this considering I only think of the twists and innuendos and the plot every day. So, stay tuned! Oh, and by the way, on Word this story is already 20 pages long (too bad MediaMiner makes it seem shorter…)! PLEASE read and review *begs on hands and knees*!
 
Wishing to get all this down on my computer soon,
 
EmyBlossom