Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ True Colors ❯ Red Orange-Danger ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sorry I haven't updated in quite some time, again I have been busy. But this is the longest chapter yet, so enjoy. I will probably take a hiatus for a little while, these past few days I feel like I have only lived in front of my computer, typing out my handwritten stuff. Plus, finals are coming up and I gotta study if I want to keep an `-A' in Government. Oh, and I got a job as a Manga Summary writer over at CardCaptor Studios so check that out too, or just know that my updates will be coming slower. Anyway, enjoy and R&R!
 
Title: True Colors
Rating: T for Teen
Genre: Romance/Adventure
Type: Alternate Universe
 
Summary: Sakura is a servant in the castle of the kingdom, sold by her family when they are in crisis and finds many surprises awaiting her. One is Syaoran, who is cold and rude but softens under Sakura's influence and another is a plot that holds the balance of everyone's she loves future hanging in the balance. Can Sakura save all she loves? And can she find a loophole that can bring Syaoran and her together? Read to find out! S/S
 
Sakura: 17
Syaoran: 17
 
Disclaimer: Card Captor Sakura and all its characters are owned by me only in my dreams (No, really it is owned by CLAMP). Everything else is mine (I think…).
 
Red Orange-Danger
 
Getting knocked out does not leave you with the best feelings afterward, let me tell you. You feel nauseous and like you have a hangover, not that I have ever had one, but from what my parents tell me, this is how it would feel. This is what I woke up to. Already I could tell this day was going to suck.
 
Plus, I woke up to almost complete darkness. The moon was a decent height in the sky and I knew I was late to the inn. By the looks of things, I had been out cold for at least ten hours.
 
Not only that, I knew I wasn't alone. A clue to this was light snores I heard coming from a shadow beneath a tree. Normally I would have crept forward to get a closer look, but my hands were bound behind my back and that was resting against a tree, and my feet were tied together too.
 
Okay, so I panicked. I had never been tied up in my life and that feeling of helplessness scared me. I tried to wiggle my hands free and only succeeded in tipping over and getting cuts on my wrists.
 
'Stupid, stupid, stupid! Never panic, that was one of Onii-chan's lessons; I've got to be more careful from now on.' I tried again more slowly, to free my hands, but it was to no avail. I felt my eyes tear up and there was nothing I could do to stop them, just like the situation.
 
I am alone and I have no idea what they would do to me, where they would take me, and above all, why. I wondered what Ady would do when she noticed I wasn't back yet and how Kero and Ruby would fare.
 
'No, this is not the time to be thinking such thoughts, I must escape! Now, think, Sakura, think!'
 
I felt around with a hand for some sharp rock to cut the ropes with. Something tapped my palm and I reactantly grabbed it. It was definitely not a rock and it was attached to something...
 
My charm! I could use this to get free, if I just imagine it in a different shape. I loosely closed my fist and pictured what I wanted in my head. My hand glowed for a moment and grew in size until it was the small knife I had pictured. I wasted no time in cutting off the ropes that tied my hands and feet, and then returned the bracelet to normal.
 
I felt no need to get a look at my captor because I had a feeling who it was, so I began to hurry back to the village. Unfortunately, nature had other plans.
 
I had taken five steps when a twig snapped. The snores ceased, I assumed I'd woken him. He called out, "Who's there?" In a voice that was heavily accented, one I'd never heard before. There was a rustling of leaves and I saw his silhouette stand and begin to make his way toward where I had been tied up.
 
He hadn't noticed me yet, so I slowly backed up and prayed there wouldn't be another branch. Unfortunately luck wasn't on my side today because he noticed I wasn't still at the base of the tree tied up and the discarded ropes took my place instead. He quickly scanned the area and spotted me with no problem thanks to the moonlight.
 
“Hey, how did you get free?” He advanced toward me and I matched each of his steps with my own going backwards. I saw his right hand slowly moving toward his belt and I remembered my own “lucky charm” and grabbed it.
 
“I guess I'm just good at getting out of tight spaces. Small hands don't hurt either.” I answered back. I recalled on of oniichan's lessons, “Keep your assailant talking and they are less likely to focus on attacking you.” I gave a silent prayer of thanks for his invaluable lessons.
 
His face was shadowed from the moon's rays so it made reading his expression difficult, but the glimmer in his eye gave away his indecent intentions. “It doesn't matter how you escaped, only how killed yourself because you didn't want to go through with working in Faulanda, that's all that matters.” He drew his dagger from his sheath and charged forward holding it above his head for a downward strike.
 
“Release!” I yelled as his dagger was raised above my head. Little did he know that I had been muttering the incantation under my breath to release my sword as he berated on about my “death”. Metal me metal to his astonishment giving me the opening I needed to bring my leg up and twist to my right and land it in his gut, combining otou-san's and oniichan's lessons in that combo.
 
He clutched his belly while muttering what I could only guess to be curses under his breath, in a language I didn't recognize; all the while I didn't drop my guard. He called out a name loud enough to wake up something that had been snoozing under a tree. It came into the moon's rays and I recognized her to be the shrine maiden from back at Menace Cachée village. She stood blinking for a moment before the man shouted something in that language from before. She seemed to just realize the situation at hand and did, what I can only guess, what he ordered.
 
She began to circle me while he got into an attack position. It was hard to keep track of both when they were both on either side of me. I turned most of my attention to the big man since he seemed like the bigger threat. “This doesn't seem very fair, two-on-one!” I whined.
 
“Your sword doesn't seem fair compared to my dagger.” He countered.
 
I was feeling rather flippant; I mean you would to given the situation, so I remarked, “Let's test that theory.” I advanced and feigned bringing my sword. He brought his dagger over his head to shield himself and I quickly changed to bringing my left fist up into his jaw. He flinched for only an instant and brought his dagger back and forward. I used a middle block and his dagger glided only over my blade.
 
I saw his eyes shift to my right for a second and I realized an instant too late that I had left Ms. Shrine Maiden all alone. She grabbed a handful of my hair and hooked her left arm around mine to pin it behind my back. Mr. Kidnapper had shifted his attention back to me and lunged again with his dagger. I used a middle block again but this time his dagger slid right off my blade and I used this opportunity to do a complex move that went up and around, giving him a deep cut in his shoulder. He stepped back and clutched his wound, completely dropping his guard, but I had someone else in mind.
 
To take care of Ms. Shrine Maiden, I brought the hilt of my sword straight into her gut. She instantly let go of me and doubled over in pain. I figured that she wasn't much of a fighter, so this worked to my plan.
 
I didn't waste an opportunity. I ran from there as fast as I could down the dirt road in the direction I thought to be west. Mr. Kidnapper's voice called out one last time, “You bitch! Don't think you can escape the Red Dawn!” But I was too busy running for my life to care or even think about what he said at the moment. And that's pretty hard in geta sandals and a kimono.
 
**Back in Menace Cachée village**
 
Ady had grown restless, “Where do you think she could be? I specifically told her 10 o'clock.” She directed the question to Natalie, who was watching her pace the room.
 
“You really care about her, don't you?”
 
“Yes, I mean she grew to become like a best friend to me! I would have given my life up for her; she is such a sweet, beautiful, and somewhat clumsy person. And now she is missing! I was foolish to let her explore the village alone, after all with the danger you told me was lurking about. You yourself said there were sightings of rebels in the area, I just didn't figure they would harm an innocent girl. I even bought a charm to cure her bad luck! I guess I just didn't give it to her in time…” Tears coursed down Ady's cheeks.
 
“Is she really still just a girl? I mean, she seems to already have been through so much hardship. I would call her a young lady, she is getting to the age after all.”
 
“She is still just a girl, she hasn't even started wearing a woman's kimono yet! What does it matter? This is my entire fault!” She fell to her knees and cried in her hands.
 
Natalie came and gave her a hug, “It's okay, all we can do is sit and wait. I'm sure she will be fine.”
 
Ady sat up, “Wait, there is something I can do.” She got up and strode over to the window. She opened the shutters, letting in a cold wind.
 
“What are you talking about? You can't just go and look for her! You're leaving tomorrow! Wait, what are you…”
 
Ady was kneeling now in front of the sill and was at eye level with a robin that, oddly, seemed to be staring back. “You can find her right? Can you bring this to her when you do? And make sure she is okay too!” She held out a necklace to the bird that took it in its talons. It took flight into the inky darkness, flying with the frigid winds in the night sky. “Thanks!” Ady called back one last time.
 
Natalie gave her a look, one that said “Do I need to send you to get some mental help after all I just saw you talking to a bird and you gave it an expensive necklace expecting it to save your friend”. Ady sighed, “What?! That's Sakura's bird friend Ruby. She might be able to help!”
 
“Whatever,” was Natalie's exhausted reply.
 
“If that bird even understood what I said.” Ady muttered under her breath, just enough so Natalie couldn't hear.
 
**Two hours later, traveling with the Dancing Dove Gypsy Troupe**
 
“I can't believe we couldn't even stay the night at that inn!” Hakari pouted. She was a sixteen year old tight-rope walker, dancer, and tambourinist with brown hair cut tomboyishly short and hazel eyes. Despite her age, she still acted childish, more so than the youngest member of the troupe who happened to be twelve.
 
Sumiya sighed, “You know just as well as I do that they were full because a merchant caravan was staying the night. Besides, it's not like sleeping on the road is anything new to us.” She had a serious and intelligent personality considering her age of twenty-three. She was a lute-player, singer, and gymnast. She had long black hair and grey eyes that made her look as mysterious as her personality. She also had little tolerance for Hakari's whiney side.
 
“A real bed is nice every once in a…” She paused and squinted, peering into the velvety darkness, “Hey, look!” She pointed in the distance Sumiya noticed it at once when she pointed at it.
 
“Wake everyone up,” she ordered, “We may have bandits coming up so I want everyone ready.” Sumiya was the one holding the reigns so she herself could not fulfill the task so she ordered Hakari, who had only been talking (or whining), to do it for her. Hakari climbed back, “Psst, PSST! Wake up everyone! There might be thieves ahead!” She kept her voice low, just in case. There was some groaning but everyone was on the alert.
 
They neared closer until Hakari could faintly recognize some details. “It's a girl, she doesn't have a weapon, and she seems weak. It looks like she's wounded!”
 
“Approach with caution,” Ryu warned, “She could still have accomplices.” Ryu is Sumiya's twin and they share many of the same characteristics. He is the leader and also a fire-breather and percussionist. He wasn't as serious as Sumiya, only when he needs to be. He has the same eye and hair color as his twin and he left it longer so it sometimes draped in his eyes.
 
Hakari made a face at Ryu for his inhumane comment. She would show him how to be kind, starting with this girl. `Ryu is just too cold so I'll just have to change that!' She smiled at her thoughts.
 
**A few minutes earlier, Sakura's POV**
 
I had just been walking forever in the same direction, or at least it felt that way. Really, I had been constantly checking the moon's position after that first five minutes of straight running. I was now tired, hungry, thirsty, dirty, cold, and wounded on my wrists and ankles. They had throbbed from my abuse when I was fighting and running, but by now they were just sore, dirty and had stopped bleeding.
 
`I would give anything to be in that worm bed waiting for me back at the inn. I wonder if they'll wait for me tomorrow. Will they look for me? Is there some way for me to even communicate with them? Is there even a chance I will make it to Faulanda?' All these thoughts flitted through my tired head. But, I didn't even know if I was headed in the right direction to the inn.
 
I was just thinking of taking a rest break when I thought I heard something. I tuned my ears in to the sound. `Yes, it most definitely isn't just me; I think I hear the clop of hooves and the grinding of wheels.'
 
I know I definitely wasn't to my full senses, otherwise I might have thought, `Oh my gosh, these could be bandits,' and hiding myself behind a bush, but I was delirious with hunger, thirst, and blood loss, so I kept walking, all too happy at that. As I neared, I got a better look at them, and I realized what a mistake I made.
 
They were all about my age, which was well enough and they all wore frowns and carried weapons, with the exception of one. She had short brown hair and had a welcoming smile on her face. I stopped walking when they were about ten feet away, afraid to come closer; after all, they looked hostile.
 
The smiling one smirked to her friends, “Look, it's just a girl! I told you there was nothing to worry about!” She hopped down from the driver's seat and came up to me.
 
A man with black hair grimaced, “Hey, Hakari! Come back here!”
 
The girl, Hakari, took my hands with hers, “Look, she's harmless, she is unarmed and she's wounded. See,” She pointed to my scabbed wrists, not too pretty to look at by the way. “Come over here, we'll take care of you,” She led me over to the wagon, still holding my hands. The black haired man looked ready to protest but Hakari held up a finger to silence him while everyone else watched, mouths agape.
 
She led me to the back of the wagon, rummaged through some trunks, and came out with her hands full. In one hand, she carried some bandages and a canteen of water and in the other she had two yellow-colored apples. My eyes grew wide, not at the site of the bandages, but at the apples.
 
She must have noticed my starved look because she chuckled and told me to sit. She handed me the fruit and began cleaning my wounds. I was not too completely hunger driven to forget my manners, so I quickly muttered my thanks before diving in. I savored the taste, the juicy white flesh and the crisp texture. My new friend let me finish eating before moving on to the cuts on my wrists.
 
I felt so grateful toward her kindness I couldn't help thanking her again, “Thank you again, for everything, especially the apple, I haven't had one in years!”
 
“It's no problem really, I'm just showing the kindness we should give all people,” she glared at her comrades who were pretending to go about their work, but you could tell they were eavesdropping. “I'm Hakari by the way. What's your name?”
 
“Kinomoto Sakura, pleased to meet you Hakari-san.”
 
“Oh please, no `san', it makes me feel old, `chan' or Hakari is just fine.”
 
“Okay, Hakari-chan.”
 
“So, what happened to you, Sakura-chan?”
 
The laughter left my eyes, “I was kidnapped while I was praying at a shrine. The knocked me out and when I woke, I found my hands and feet tied. I escaped but I don't know how to get back to the village.”
 
“What village was it?”
 
“Menace Cachée,”
 
Hakari smiled at me, “We were just coming from there. We wanted to stay the night, but the inn was full.”
 
My eyes brightened, “Yes! I was traveling with them to Faulanda!”
 
Hakari put her hands on her hips. If I would have known her really well then, I would have known that she puts her hands on her hips when she is taking charge of the situation, in this case, me. “You know what? I'm making you an honorary member of the Dancing Dove Traveling Gypsy Troupe!” She smiled up at the sky, looking proud of herself and waiting for an applause, but I was too stunned to do anything but stare with my mouth wide open, the same with everyone else too. I mean me? A part of a gypsy troupe? What had I gotten myself into? I needed to get to Faulanda!
 
Hakari stopped and looked at me quizzically, “What? We're going to Faulanda anyway. You might as well tag along. We'll find you an act and get you to where you need to go. We'll take care of you, on my honor as a no-good gypsy!”
 
I was stunned by the kindness of others, of how many people had shown me such generosity. I was a complete stranger, yet she didn't hesitate to offer me a place to stay. “Thank you, Hakari-chan. I will gratefully accept your offer.”
 
Hakari clapped her hands, “Then it's settled! Come over here everyone!” As if they didn't know already.
 
All of the Dancing Dove Traveling Gypsy Troupe crowded around us. She relayed the news with great earnest while I just stood around and smiled. At the end of it all, everyone came to greet me in their own way and introduce themselves, all except for one handsome man who I presumed to be Ryu. He had crossed his arms and was glaring at the bouncing Hakari. When he couldn't stand it anymore, he grabbed her arm and drew her aside.
 
Meanwhile, everyone seemed to be taking an interest in me. A few were giving me ideas of me “new look” as a gypsy and others were asking questions about me. I caught a glimpse through the crowd and saw Ryu talking with Hakari who remained calm. I felt bad for causing so much trouble so I decided I would do whatever I could in my power to make it up to Hakari.
 
“So, do you have an idea of what your act could be?”
 
This caught my attention and brought it to Sumiya who had asked. “Um, I don't know.”
 
“Can you do flips?”
 
“Yes,”
 
“There's a start, can you play an instrument?”
 
“Well, sort of. I haven't played in years though.”
 
“What is it you play?”
 
“The koto, but I haven't played in so long that it would probably hurt people's ears!”
 
“We'll see, we just happen to have one in the wagon so maybe that would work out. Don't worry, we can figure it out later today, but for now, we should get back on the road.” She let out a shrill whistle and made a gesture for everyone to get back in the wagon. I wasn't sure what to do so I watched others as most climbed into the wagon while Sumiya climbed into the driver's seat. Hakari was about to follow her but she saw me standing dumbfounded and came over.
 
“You should climb into the back, you must be tired from your ordeal Sakura-chan. Everyone is going to fall asleep, besides Sumiya-san and I.”
 
“But what about…” I wasn't sure if I should finish, but I decided she was a friend, “Ryu-sama…I mean I don't want to push his limits. I know he doesn't like me…”
 
She patted my shoulder and gave me a reassuring smile, “Don't worry about it. He'll warm up to you in no time Sakura-chan! He was just worried about thieves but I know for one that you aren't a thief!” She actually ruffled my hair here, as if I was the younger one and not she. “He'll see that soon, but for now just get some sleep.” She trotted off and I would have too, but I had another area of business.
 
I had known for a while that I had been being watched, ever since the commotion, but now I could confront it. The watcher had noticed I was alone and didn't waste the opportunity; it quickly came over and landed in her hands. “Ruby, I should have known you would find me.” I quickly updated her, saying that I would be traveling with the troupe and Ruby said that she would try to contact me daily. She also gave me a charm attached to a ribbon and said it was from Ady to protect me from my bad luck. With a kiss, I sent her off and hurried to the wagon. I saw a small space left for me and I snuggled in with a sigh of contentment.
 
**The Next Afternoon**
 
Okay, so I'm still haunted by bad luck, just maybe not in the same sense. I figured this out when all the girls literally jumped me to give me a makeover. I would call this bad luck, most others would probably not. I know that my kimono was probably in bad shape, but what they did, I say, was completely uncalled for.
 
I'll start at the beginning when I was surprised that Hakari didn't even mention my act like I thought she would. I should have suspected something right off then. Then I caught another female member holding up clothes in my direction and squinting, as if they were a size check. Some of the others were digging through jewelry and other treasures, setting some aside and putting others back till they had a small pile. These were all part of a plot for my doom.
 
So we took a break from the wagon and lunch was started, though to my shock, only the men were cooking. I decided to chip in and hunt for berries, and told Ryu so, though he gave me a funny look. I figured this was because he didn't like me. So I made my way through the local forest and didn't make it far.
 
They pushed me behind some tall bushes and shoved some clothes in my hands telling me to try them on. I did the math while I changed. If I tried to run, I would have to escape from five girls, FIVE. I stood no chance.
 
After trying on all the clothes and deciding on one to wear today, they bombarded me with accessories. Rings, necklaces, bracelets, and hair ornaments flew on and off me. In the end, The had me in a long sleeved kimono style top that was pale green with white and yellow butterflies embroidered all over. I wore a light yellow skirt that was cut at an angle on the hem. Two small braids framed my face with a white ribbon laced with my hair. They'd even coaxed me out of my geta sandals and traded them fro leather slippers.
 
When they were done, they stepped back to take a look at the finished product. When no one said anything, I feared it had turned out worse I than I though but Hakari broke the silence with a grin, “You look perfect!” All the girls unanimously agreed and ushered me out of the forest to present me to the rest of the group.
 
The girls walked in front of me like a living curtain, so as to keep the element of surprise. They called for everyone to watch and when they were satisfied they had all the attention, they parted to reveal the “new” me. Koriko, a joker I've found and about my age whistled making me blush even though I knew it was all for fun. Ryu was even smirking I noticed, even though I'm not sure that is a good thing.
 
Hakari jumped in front of me, “Now that we have you looking like a star, let's hear you play like one,” I hadn't noticed before, but Sumiya had been shuffling things about in the bottom of the wagon and now brought out the most beautiful koto I had ever seen. Mother-of-pearl was inlaid with the reddish wood and shined in the light. I thought I could never bring justice with my playing to this thing of beauty.
 
“We bartered this off a seedy merchant a while back in a port. He said it was imported from the Krimean Islands. He sold it lower than what it was worth since he apparently didn't know what a masterpiece it is. Problem is, none of us can play one, but I wasn't about to pass the offer up. Maybe you can finally put it to use.” Sumiya laid it down in front of me. I knelt down and plucked one shiny string. Its sweet sound filled the air and racked my nerves. I could never play this well enough than what it deserves, but at least I could try.
 
Everyone seemed to be waiting hopefully for something and I looked up to meet a sea of eyes. I gulped when I realized what they wanted, to hear me play. My fingers shook as I set the bridges to where I remembered for this song. I closed my eyes as I recalled the song from my memory, my favorite, “Yoru No Uta”.
 
The introduction was always the hardest part for me because it not only needs to capture the listener's attention and keep it, but in this song, it is one of the most emotional parts. I began as the sweet song filled the air around us and I felt as if I instantly became one with the koto, a feeling I had never had before. The intro passed sooner than I remembered, maybe because it was one of my favorite parts, and it blended in to where the words began:
 
Yoru no sora ni matataku (In the night sky, they twinkle)
Tooi kin no hoshi (The far stars of gold)
Yuube yume de miageta (The same color as the small bird)
Kotori to onaji iro (That looked up in my dream last night)
Nemurenu yoru ni (In this sleepless night,)
Hitori utau uta (I sing this song alone)
Wataru kaze to issho ni (Together with the blowing wind,)
Omoi wo nosete tobu yo (I fly riding on my thoughts)
Yoru no sora ni kagayaku (In the night sky, it sparkles)
Tooi gin no tsuki (The distant moon of silver)
Yuube yume de saite 'ta (The same color as the wild rose)
Nobara to onaji iro (That was blooming in my dream last night)
Yasashii yoru ni (In the gentle night,)
Hitori utau uta (I sing this song alone)
Asu wa kimi to utaou (Let me sing with you tomorrow)
Yume no tsubasa ni notte (Riding on the wings of dreams)
Yasashii yoru ni (In the gentle night,)
Hitori utau uta (I sing this song alone)
Asu wa kimi to utaou (Let me sing with you tomorrow)
Yume no tsubasa ni notte (Riding on the wings of dreams)
 
I sang along with the koto's melody. Such happiness flowed through me as I played my favorite song with this beautiful instrument. After the last note, I felt as if I had come from a trance, one that left me feeling more joyful than normal. Claps and cheers broke out from the audience who had looked so large before my “devestation” and now looked way undersized as this being my greatest performance. Hakari put her hands on her hips, “I think we just found your act!”
 
I beamed with pride. Oh, how Okaa-san would be proud of me, after all those lessons. I never knew how much I missed playing the koto after our family sold ours for cash!
 
“Where did you learn that song?”
 
I was surprised to find Ryu had asked, after all, I thought he hated me! “My Okaa-san used to sing it to me and later taught me to play it on the koto,” I answered a little uneasily. His grey eyes were like steel when he wanted them to be!
 
Koriko yawned, “Tomorrow's a long day, we should go to bed.”
 
Everyone agreed and either climbed into the wagon or slept around the campfire. I chose the fire because I would be warm and I could stretch out. Hakari settled across the fire and stared into it. The thrill of my experience with the koto still burned in my viens, but wouldn't last for long.
 
She looked up at me, “Tomorrow we cross the Neigé Mountians. I just thought you should be prepared. We've all been across countless times, so they probably forgot what it feels like the first time and therefore forgot to warn you.”
 
**The Next Morning, around 5:30 a.m.**
 
I awoke this morning not to the rumbling and creaking of the wagon, but to a critter hopping on my chest. I opened one eye and almost screamed in surprise, but quickly contained it. The site of a giant bird in one's vision is not comforting. Ruby hopped off my chest and flew to the nearby forest. I didn't need another sign to let me know that this was important. I tiptoed past the sleeping Hakari and the remains of the campfire straight into the forest. Ruby was perched on the branch of a pine tree that was about fifteen feet off the ground, a height dissatisfying to my tastes but manageable.
 
After climbing for a minute, I reached Ruby who was busy preening herself. She finally got serious after she was satisfied with her work. “Your friend Ady wants to know how you are doing and since I can't talk human she gave me this,” she turned around and brought out a small rolled-up piece of paper secured by a ribbon. I untied the ribbon and out tumbled a quill and inkwell into my lap. “She didn't even ask if you could read and write, she just assumed and handed me this,” the robin grumbled. I wrote down the quickly all the details I had told Ruby two nights before and then looked for something to tie back up with. I really didn't want to use the ribbon again, it was of a fine quality and its cream color was so appealing.
 
Getting an idea, I climbed back down out of the tree with Ruby fluttering down too. Spotting what I wanted, I grabbed a few wild daisies and made a small daisy chain that fit around my letter. Before flying off, I gave Ruby a kiss and she muttered something about how Kero was miserable without me. I told her to “make Kero eat his food, as a direct order from Sakura.” She flew off and I promised myself that next time, I would have food to give her as thanks.
 
I hurried back, ribbon in hand, to find everyone still asleep. I made up my mind to get dressed for today first, in preparation for the day in the mountains. I changed into a Faulandian style skirt that was dark red and made of wool for warmth. I had a top that was also in the Faulandian fashion that was gold with dark red embroidery and a lower neckline than I was used to, coupled with a black wool cape, secured loosely by a ribbon.
 
That done, I began breakfast and prayed that my new charm would protect me from Fraudeur's minions. I chose to stay safe with fried eggs and bacon, not over-salted oatmeal. I found them in the back of the wagon and quietly began breakfast. I was so in tune to the cooking that the only thing that broke my reverie was a hand placed on my shoulder.
 
I must have jumped five feet and would have yelled “HOE!” if not for a hand that covered my mouth. I swore it had to be a ghost, I mean it was so silent and deadly it had to have been inhuman to come up so quietly. But no, I could feet his well-toned body against my back and his smell of a campfire filled my nostrils, ghosts don't smell right? When he was sure I was clam, he removed his hand, allowing me to turn around to see who it was.
 
Ryu. Of course, who else would get a kick out of scaring me, besides Koriku. He motioned for me to whisper even though I already knew to do so. He helped me cook and I kept glancing at him expectantly. He finally spoke up, watching my face intently, “You're not from the merchant caravan. What I mean is, you're not a permanent member of their group, are you?”
 
I shook my head and let it all spill out, my story anyway. I felt he should know for letting me stay with them. It felt good to let it all come out, from my family's trouble to my employment in Faulanda, except leaving out the part about being able to talk to animals. The last thing I need is for him to think of me as a freak. He listened patiently to my tale, flipping over bacon and eggs when needed. When I was finished, he looked up and simply said, “Okay,” and I saw something new in his eyes, respect. A deep respect that told me he would never doubt me again.
 
A groan came from across the firepit as Hakari awoke. She was still half asleep when she sniffed the air greedily, “Do I smell…BACON?!” She crawled up to the fire to investigate, “It is! It is!” She started cheering and jumping up and down.
 
“She loves bacon,” Ryu explained. “Oh,” was all I could say.
 
**Later in the Afternoon, Somewhere in the Neigé Mountians**
 
It turns out Hakari had woken everyone with her cheering, which wasn't too bad, it just meant we could get moving earlier. Of course, once the girls were fully awake, they immediately fixed my hair by adding a red flower clip. They would have done more, but Koriku rescued me. I feel like I'm beginning to like him more and more!
 
Anyway, we started up through the mountains. Vegetation became sparse, dirt became rock, warm turned to cold, and my fear grew with every second. The path grew narrow to the point where there were only a couple inches on either side of the wagon wheels. At first I was curious at my new surroundings, but then I caught a glimpse of the edge of the cliff, right at the side of the road. The drop must have been thirty feet at least! I quickly backed away into my corner in the back of the wagon. My eyelids drooped and I fell asleep.
 
When I woke, I felt lightheaded and sick. I asked Hakari about my symptoms and she said it was because of the mountain air. I asked her if she felt this way and she laughed. She says that she has been though the mountains so many times that her body got used to it. She also said that this was the same for everyone else. How reassuring.
 
Ryu's voice rang out above the clop of hooves, “Sakura-san, can you check the back wheels? I think one is loose.”
 
Okay,” I flipped my upper body down to get a view of the wheels. Sure enough, the right one was rickety. I noticed at once the jiggling peg that held the wheel in place. To fix it, I would have to bend down further with a risk of falling out. I gulped, remembering that the cliff was mighty close and a mighty far drop down to the next cliff. I summed up my courage, took a deep breath, dropped down further, and popped it back into place.
 
I sighed with relief and was about to climb up when the wagon hit a rock. I plunged forward with a scream and my hand extended. I closed my eyes at time seemed to slow down. I would never have imagined that I might die like this, falling off a cliff. What would the afterlife be like anyway? How would my family be informed of my unfortunate death? Would Hakari or Ryu tell them? What would I look like when they found my body, or IF even? But I didn't have time to even pray to my gods when someone grabbed my hand.
 
I opened my tear-filled eyes, “Hakari-chan!”
 
She groaned from my weight, “Give me your other hand!”
 
I did and she, with the help of Sumiya, pulled my up. We were both panting at the end. Then, I remembered something, “Oh, and Ryu-san, your wheel is fixed now.”
 
**Five Days Later**
 
The journey went smooth the rest of the way to Faulanda's capitol. On the way, Sakura had performed the koto a few times while Sumiya sang and another girl taught her how to do fortune telling with a deck of cards. She had grown to become like a little sister to the group and they would be sad to see her go. S instead they said she could rejoin the gypsy troupe whenever she wanted to.
 
Ruby continued to deliver messages back and forth for Sakura, ribbons included. Through them, she and Ady had set up a plan that they would meet in the same town so Sakura could rejoin the merchant caravan. When they met up, Sakura said farewells to all her gyupsy friends and Hakari made he plromise that they would see on another again. The troupe also gave her the koto she had grown to love. At first she would not accept so splendid a gift but through much urging, she finally did with a sunshiney smile on her face. Kero was also glad to have her back, as well as Ruby. Now back with the merchant caravan, they wre nearing the capitol of Faulanda, Monque.
 
Sakura had finally mustered up the courage to ask a question she was dying to know the answer to. They were back to doing needlepoint and she couldn't concentrate, yet again. “What are those animals that you are embroidering? I know some, but most I haven't seen before. Like that's a butterfly,” I pointed to a big blue butterfly I knew as being the Blue Emperor. “And that's a wolf,” I pointed to a big wolf that was grey and brown. The butterfly seemed to dance over his head while he sniffed the air below it. “And that's a horse,” The one I pointed to looked playful with its lively eyes and brown hair and mane. “But that's all I know.”
 
Ady smiled, “The rest of these are Faulandian animals. This is a deer,” She pointed to a tall and graceful creature with brown fur speckled with black spots. I gave me a feeling of warmth. “This is a badger,” She showed me a squat animal that was longer than was tall. It was grey and black and gave off a mysterious feeling. “This is and owl,” This one was white and had to have been the biggest bird in the world! “And this is a dragonfly,” It was green and blue and iridescent. `I really want to see each of these animals!' I thought.
 
“Koishi! Arigatou, Ady-chan!”
 
She smiled then something caught her attention outside the wagon, “Oh, look! You can see the capitol now!” I leaned over the side to look. “Sugoi!” I exclaimed. High walls surrounded the huge city and crowds of people flowed in and out. Smoke billowed out in stacks and buildings crowded each other while seeming to race on another to a higher height in the sky. But highest of all buildings, the castle towered above all. My new home beckoned.
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
Word is up to 48 pages, HOLY COW! This one alone was 15 pages. And for those of you not fluent in Japanese, the above meant:
 
Koishi=I see
Arigatou=Thank you
Sugoi=Amazing
 
I got those from the television show, so spelling might be off.
 
Love,
EmyBlossom