Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Try Again ❯ Try Again [ONESHOT] ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

http://www.mediaminer.org/fanfic/view_ch.php/101883/342480/
 
A.N.: Written for Media Miner's Summer ONESHOT Mini Fanfiction Contest. I'm not making money out of this, simply `cause the characters aren't mine. So don't sue me `cause you probably wouldn't get the money anyway.
 
Card Captor Sakura FANfiction!
 
Title: TRY AGAIN [ONESHOT]
By Syaoran-Lover
 
Summer vacation… and my mom, Wei, my sisters and I came here, of all places! The last place I wanted to be ever since that happened: Japan, specifically in the province of Tomoeda, the same city where I once competed against Kinomoto Sakura for the Clow cards… though all I was really doing was to help her gather them. It had never been for me, though I had foolishly misled myself by saying that it was.
 
Tomorrow, July 7th, is the Tanabata Festival, and though today's big Japanese cities don't celebrate the holiday any longer, this one does. I never wanted to think about this festival again, not after what happened two years ago, one year after the Void was turned into Hope and I thought we could finally get along… I really thought it would work out between the new owner of the cards and I.
 
Well, it didn't… it went pretty bad, actually. Sakura is too social, while I am too quiet. I like staying indoors and going out once in a while… she had to be out 24/7. It didn't work out well, no matter how many exceptions I tried to make, and I know she sometimes gave in to what I wanted too, but it took too much out of the both of us.
 
We broke apart one year after she finally confessed to me at the Nadeshiko Festival when we starred a play as princess and prince, respectively she and I. That day should have been our 1-year anniversary, and I returned to Hong Kong, having lost the only reason that kept me here. We still exchanged letters once in a while, but it still hurts to think about how much I loved her… only to have it all break into a thousand shattered pieces right in my face on a Tanabata Festival night. It had come as a big blow back then, even though I had already been feeling signs of distance between us, but none-the-less I was still very shocked… to the point that I never wanted to be back here again.
 
And yet, despite my protests, when my four sisters heard about the legend behind the Tanabata Festival, the six women dragged me back here again: my closest cousin, my sisters and my mother. It didn't really take much to convince me, now that I think about it; only five suffocating hugs and a pointed look was all it took for the “NO” I was so ready to pronounce when they suggested coming here died in my vocal chords before it even had the chance to be formed.
 
So here we are, in Tomoeda, and though I'm grateful that I haven't run into her yet, my thoughts keep tracing back everything that happened until we got together… and things after that. Right now, as I watch my sisters play and soak each other in the one of the pools, I remember when the whole gang and I came to this water park during the winter. Sasaki Rika almost drowned back then due to Eriol's pranks, but Sakura saved the girl by transforming the Watery into a Sakura card and using it to stop the unnatural waves. I remember Clow's reincarnation had been very worried about our timid classmate, Sasaki, back then, but became quite relieved when everything turned out okay… thanks to Sakura and Daidouji, whose idea gave the Clow cards master a chance to perform her magic without being seen.
 
I'm suddenly jerked out of my thoughts as a splash of water soaks my t-shirt and face. With the corner of my eye, I catch a very innocent-looking Meirin beside my sisters, and I instantly know my cousin's trying to convince me to join their water fight by irking me.
 
I'm not in the mood for that, so all I do is point a glare at her before removing from my spot to a more quiet place, somewhere I could think without being disturbed. A frown replaces Meirin's wide smile as she silently watches me walk away.
 
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// ////////////////////////////////
 
We're back to our temporary home now: the same apartment I had owned when I lived here before. Once again I'm secluded in my room, training with my sword. I don't want to be here; I keep remembering all the times I tried to tell her what I felt, only to have someone interrupt me time after time. When I finally managed to tell her, it was right after the ordeal with Eriol was over, when the night was turned into day again with the help of the newly transformed Light.
 
I've never been much of a social person, but I'm sure my family is concerned about the fact that I keep isolating myself on this trip more than usual, especially since it's a place I had already been to. I'm not sure why I'm doing that myself, but I think it's because I'm trying to forget that I'm back in this city, though contradictorily I only keep reminding myself of that fact… of everything that happened here between Sakura and I.
 
I sigh; there I go again, reminding myself of what I don't want to remember. I put away my magic sword and head to the veranda of my bedroom. As soon as I open the door, a cool breeze rushes to my face and I feel it refresh my senses. I really needed that. Through my slippers I can still feel some of the cold linoleum floor. My arms rest against the guardrail as I look up at the starred sky… I'm not very surprised to see a shooting star falling right then.
 
I don't believe in wishing on a shooting star any longer; in fact, I believe they'll only make your most desired wish go opposite… or that they don't grant your wish at all. Of course they don't, they're only falling stars after all. They always remind me of that day. It was the last time I saw a Tanabata Festival; I had just seen a shooting star then and fervently wished things between the person I loved most and I would someday go right, preferably soon. Only half an hour later, Sakura told me we were over because things weren't going right for us.
 
I know she was right; if we kept on going in that same rhythm, we'd never be very happy, only mildly content... and that's not nearly enough to make a merry couple. Still, I've never been able to completely let go of the feeling; something kept calling me back, begging me not to forget what I felt… what I feel.
 
These feelings overwhelm me always… I can never seem to let go of them. As my thoughts drift between past memories and the present, Meirin interrupts door them, knocking on my door, to announce that dinner is set. I take one more look at the stars before heading back inside, closing the balcony door behind me.
 
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// ////////////////////////////////
 
This is it, the Tanabata Festival, two years after the disastrous last one I had been to. And of all the places, this year the festivities are being held in none other than the Tsukimine Shrine. I can't believe it! She'll surely come… and I definitely don't want to see her while I'm still feeling like this. Still, the same six women drag me all the way there and all I can do is look around in the hopes that I don't find her.
 
It seemed to be going my way at first, even though I'm acting uncharacteristically like a coward, but things suddenly changed one hour after our arrival at the shrine. Sakura was there with Daidouji Tomoyo, near the shooting booth… and she spotted me even though I had grown considerably since the last time we saw each other and had my back to her. Maybe she sensed my magical presence; I certainly didn't feel hers… not like I could with the nervous jumble I currently had for a mind. I didn't realize she was there until her voice yelled my name to get my attention. “SYAORAN!”
 
I froze on my spot as though the Freeze had chosen me for a target and hit home. By the time I managed to turn around and see her, it was already too late to run away like I always had, not like my body would obey yet, anyway.
 
As my ex-girlfriend approached me with her friend, I noticed Sakura seemed very joyful, as though she no longer minded that I wasn't with her any longer. It hurt and even stung a bit, and most probably it showed in my face because the first thing she asked upon reaching where I stood, her radiant smile turning into a slight frown, was, “You still haven't gotten over us, have you?”
 
Her face came so close to mine that for a minute I thought she intended to kiss me, but rapidly realized I was just making a fool of myself. I pulled away many inches, but I never voiced any reply. With a sigh, she held my face in her palms and brought me eye-level to her again.
 
“Listen, Syaoran, it's not the same as before, but I still love you, which is why I'll tell you the same thing Yukito told me that day when Eriol made me transform the “Maze” and “Illusion” cards. It's not me you love most, Syaoran. It's someone else, and believe it or not, that person's also here. I'm sure you'll bump into each other soon, and then you'll realize that what I'm saying is true. I wish you happiness… from the bottom of my heart. So get over this already and stop sulking!”
 
The cheerful grin she offered at the end of her speech was enough to bring a small smile to my lips. I had always known how much of a fool I had been since we parted, but I had never been able to behave otherwise until I heard those words from her; it was as if Sakura was freeing my spirit, and I was grateful for it. “Yeah. Thanks… Sakura.”
 
At that point, Daidouji, who had been standing a few feet behind to give Sakura and I some privacy, approached us and greeted me. “Good evening, Li-kun. I see you brought your sisters along this time, huh?” She asked nodding with her head towards the excited female group - with the exception of my mother, who always looked serious through any situation - a few feet behind me. Sakura's best friend's beautiful smile complimented the silky voice. I had always wondered where she managed to pull out such a pretty voice and smile. “Are you enjoying this year's Tanabata Festival?”
 
“A little,” was my hasty reply.
 
“SYAORAN!” My cousin suddenly yelled.
 
I sighed, “Well, I gotta get going,” I explained before turning around and heading towards my family; I stopped midway to say something I felt I had to. Looking back towards my ex-girlfriend, I whispered, “Really, Sakura, thanks.”
 
She gave me a beaming grin before answering. “Don't worry about that! Just don't forget what I said! And don't waste your chance!” Were her words as she walked away with Daidouji right beside her.
 
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// ///////////////////////////////////
 
Three hours later and we're still here. I have had enough of this festival, but I really don't want to leave my family alone either, no matter how much they are older than me, except for Meirin, but the latter should be even better to take care of herself here than the others. I silently isolate myself from them and fall behind, my feet guiding me to the pond hidden behind the bushes at the back of the shrine. I hadn't even realized I was walking until I actually arrived at the spot. It seemed like my feet had a mind of its own and was leading me here for some reason I didn't know. Since I had nothing better to do, I decided to just stay there.
 
The view was pretty much the same as when Eriol used his magic to give movement to the statue of a horse. Thunder and Glow were transformed that day thanks to him.
 
After a few moments of admiring the beautiful scenery and recollecting its memories, an idea struck me… something I used to love doing a long time ago. Looking around, I was relieved to find out that there was no one in sight… and I couldn't pick up any presence whose owner might be close enough to see the pond; it was a perfect opportunity.
 
Grabbing the ofudas I always carry with me, I chose the one I needed in order to call upon the magic. “Uho,”my voice barely pronounced. Once the spell was cast, I put the paper charms back in their place and stepped lightly on the surface of the pond…
 
And didn't fall in it. Slowly, I enjoyed the feeling of each step as I walked on water, heading towards the center of the small lake. Upon reaching it, I stood there for quite some time while gazing at the stars; somehow the feeling they wanted to tell me something didn't leave my mind. At that instant, I was reminded of Eriol; he always did seem to act at night when he was creating situations for Sakura to transform her cards.
 
Right then, much to my surprise, I heard my name being called. It startled me so much that I nearly broke my concentration and fell in the water, but my trained reflexes were fast enough to avoid it. “Who could have approached me without me realizing it?” I thought, simultaneously reprimanding myself. Thankfully, the voice didn't seem very surprised, so it was surely someone who already knew of my magical powers. Good, because I really didn't want to get scolded later by my mother about not being careful when using magic.
 
I turned around in order to meet the person, but was quite shocked to discover that it was none other than the reincarnation of Clow himself who was standing in the exact same spot I had been a few minutes before. His dark blue eyes met mine and they locked onto each other for a few seconds. His silent smile warmed me up.
 
“What might you be doing here, Li-san?” He asked as calm as I remember him to be.
 
I didn't know how to reply: there were so many things he might have asked by that question that I dared not try to answer and make a fool of myself while at it. Not so surprisingly, Eriol used his own magic to reach me as he also walked on water. When he finally came within an arm's reach, the ex-troublemaker halted… and then he just stood there looking at me.
 
“What is it?” I asked a little bit irritated some quiet minutes later, but all he offered as an answer was that warm smile of his. I couldn't quite understand what he was doing, but I knew I was starting to burn with a warm feeling I couldn't quite get rid of. Eriol seemed to know what was going on with me as he suddenly stepped forward and wrapped his arms around me tightly.
 
I didn't know what to make of it; my body seemed paralyzed. I just stood there and let him embrace me. Seconds later, I heard his soft voice almost pleading. “Why don't you understand it, Li-san? Have you never noticed what I feel towards you?”
 
The question startled me a bit. Confused, my idiotic reply was, “No; what do you feel?” I suppose that was still a good answer considering it came from me; usually it would probably have been just the first word if I were in the fowl mood I always seemed to be.
 
Eriol loosened his hold and looked into my eyes before descending his lips upon mine softly. It was so quick that I barely registered the touch, but I knew it had fired something in me that Sakura had never been able to do before. I somehow wanted more of it.
 
“Was that enough?” I heard him question almost desperately. At that moment, with Eriol looking intently and expectantly at me, still holding my upper body in his arms, memories of everything he had done for me and my ex-girlfriend flashed through my mind, and I finally realized what Sakura had tried to tell me earlier tonight. She had known that my heart had gradually stopped beating for her and had instead chosen another to pound for. That “someone else” had progressively muttered helping hints and kinds words to me in such a way that I had fallen in love without even realizing it…
 
Until now. I am such a retard on these subjects! However, I finally comprehended; years after my heart had changed, I now understood things Sakura probably knew even before she broke up with me. It finally seemed to make sense… the reason why I kept remembering him, even though what I thought I was remembering were moments I had shared with her. He had helped us often enough, and we even became stronger thanks to his doings. So many things had happened all at once that I most probably had not been able to understand the most important one.
 
I finally realized I fell in love with Hiiragizawa Eriol. As a cloud seemed to be lifted off of my mind, my arms, which had been hanging on either side of my body until that instant, slowly raised and encircled the upper body of the one who still held me then.
 
“No,” I answered truthfully. Said boy smiled before happily complying with my needs. Our lips met again… and this time, the touch lingered a lot more.
 
Our first real kiss happened during a Tanabata Festival; I came from Hong Kong and he from England to meet under the Japanese sky. Faint stars glittered above us while clear water gently swayed under a bridge of invisible wings holding us above it.
 
“I love you,” he whispered against my mouth. “Since the day we met.”
 
I barely saw it then, but at that moment, another shooting star crossed the sky before disappearing... I just know that a light smile graced my face.
 
I don't know, but maybe I'll start believing in wishes again, like the one I once made to a shooting star during one Tanabata night.
 
“I wish, I wish, I wish… that the person I love most and I will be happy forever. Together… always.”
 
END of TRY AGAIN [ONESHOT]
 
A.N.: Phew! That was a bit hard, but I think I managed to pull it off. In reality, I was wondering if Syaoran wasn't a bit too sentimental in this fic, but then I realized that he actually is very emotional, whether in Card Captor Sakura or Tsubasa (Reservoir) Chronicles… manga or anime for either title. Though he initially (in either storyline) does not show it, my cute little boy gradually begins to understand what feeling and expressing a feeling means… and stops being so non-emotional… ^^'''
While I was editing this, I just realized that, though it turned out better than I had originally planned, the ending still leaves us (yes, us) at a lost of what happens later. In other words: will Syaoran go back to Hong Kong? Will he move with Eriol to England? Will they both stay in Tomoeda (or somewhere else in Japan)… or maybe move somewhere entirely different? And what will Syaoran's family say? I still have to figure that out. ;p.
When I reach the 100 pages I'm aiming for in another fic, I'll get back to writing a SEQUEL ONESHOT for this one. I hope that doesn't disrupt anything in the contest, though. ^^
 
Thanks for reading this wonderful piece of trash that I just had to write! ^_~
 
Syaoran-Lover signing out!