Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ When Two Lonely Hearts Meet ❯ Trust ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

One-Shot Fanfiction by SilentChild

Chapter 1: Trust

It was Sakura's wedding with Syaoran. They were eighteen, young and totally in love. And Tomoyo should be happy. She had urged the couple together, helped them to overcome their shyness and fear of denial. Now, they were to be united together forever, without her, and she should be happy. But why wasn't she?

Eriol hid in the safety of the trees, staring at the love of his life, yet not daring to approach her. As Clow, he had given of himself to his parents, magic, Keroberos, Yue and the Clow Cards. As Eriol, he have given of himself to help Sakura to transform the Clow Cards into her Sakura Cards, created Ruby Moon and Spinel Sun. His first love, Kaho Mizuki who had refused him, said that he was too young, yet too mature. He could not deny the truth in that. He was centuries younger than she was, yet was too mature, too solemn, because of Clow Reed's memories. It was totally unlike Kaho. To heck with the one who said unlike poles attract, and like poles repel. Kaho had gotten married to a cheerful Japanese man, just like her. Eriol had wept over his loss, and had finally moved on, onto another love death trap. This time, he dared not tainted her innocence with his centuries old memories and experience. Compared to Tomoyo, he felt like dirt. Literally.

Tomoyo felt the tears come. They were a sign of her weakness, a side of her that she showed no one, only herself. She buried her face into her hands, and her tears trickled past the cage her fingers made, onto the cold hard soil, absorbed greedily. She made not move to stop her weakness, for she thought herself alone. Her tears flowed like rain when the clouds opened, for her love of Sakura, her loss, for her sorry self. She would never have what Sakura had. No one would love her like the way she did Sakura. No one understood her. But it did not occur to her, that no one understood her, because she refused to let anyone understand her. People knew her mask, not her.

Eriol watched Tomoyo sob, his heart constricting at his inability to help her. He started slightly, when he felt a gentle hand upon his shoulder. He had been too absorbed within himself to notice any comings and goings around him. He spun around, only to see the Card Mistress's sad emerald eyes. Her sad smile seemed out of place, he mused. "Go," said Sakura, "She needs you now."

"But…" Eriol wanted to protest, protest that he was unclean, not fit to touch such a beautiful soul. But he could not say such things to the Card Mistress. She would not be able to understand, being still the young adult she was.

"I understand more than you think, Eriol," replied Sakura, smiling at his startled look. "I know how Tomoyo feels about me, but I feel guilty about not able to return her love." Shaking her head at his widening eyes, she continued, "I'm not as naïve as all of you think I am. I know how you feel towards her, but you're afraid, because of your own reasons or hers, I have no idea. But I do know that you two would be best together. Trust me," she winked, and Eriol understood her meaning. Her blossoming powers had grown to include visions of the future, especially of people she cared. She pushed him slightly in the direction where Tomoyo sat. Eriol sighed, and then inched closer slowly, forgetting about the card Mistress behind him. Sighing, Sakura turned to bury her face into her husband's comforting embrace, sobbing out her sorrow, and pain, that she hid from all, but her husband.

"Don't worry about them. Tomoyo will be fine. Hirigazawa is the best medicine she could have," soothed Syaoran, even as he smoothed her long silky head, an act he had come to love. A muffled sob sounded, then two, and a silent storm broke out full-scale upon Syaoran's shoulder.

Tomoyo stiffened slightly, and hastily wiped away her tears when someone settled beside her. "You don't have to hide from me, Tomoyo," said the dark haired, dark-eyed Eriol gently.

"I'm not hiding," replied Tomoyo, but even her voice sounding hoarse to her.

"I know, and so am I." Tomoyo lifted her head to glance in confusion at Eriol, but found herself lost in the dark deep eyes of the magician. `Eyes are the windows to one's soul,' someone had once said that, and Tomoyo understood the meaning. Eriol's eyes mirrored the hurt, pain, and sorrow that she knew her eyes held.

"What are you hiding?" Her curiosity got the better of her, but Eriol did not hesitate to answer.

"Me." The answer shocked her. "What about you?"

Tomoyo did not know. She had never asked herself such a question before. What was she hiding? She questioned herself, but no clear answer surfaced itself. She saw the pain she had always kept to herself, prevented others from seeing. Perhaps that was it. "My weaknesses," replied Tomoyo, "I don't want other people's pity."

"Everyone has weaknesses, Tomoyo. Even me, or Sakura," Tomoyo glanced up sharply at that, "no one is perfect."

"Sakura is," replied Tomoyo softly, tears gathering once again at the edge of her eyes. Eriol heard her. Titling up her chin with his finger, he stared soulfully in her amethyst eyes.

"As you are, Tomoyo dear, in my eyes," he whispered. Brushing his lips not against her lips (hah!) but her forehead, a fatherly action he could not resist.

"But… what about … Mizuki…" started Tomoyo. Eriol stopped her babbling with a finger on her lips.

"She has found another, as I have. I would not force you into this, Tomoyo, but I would ask of you to give me at least a chance," Tomoyo stiffened," not as a lover, but as a friend." Surprised, Tomoyo glanced at Eriol, and saw the sincerity that was undeniable. Unable to swallow any more of the tears, Tomoyo flung herself into Eriol's embrace, and wept her heart out. He was heartened by this start of a friendship build on trust in loneliness. Smoothing her long hair, he comforted her silently. In the cover of the trees, the newly weds left the two lonely hearts to fill the void in each other's hearts.

There! A few minutes here and there, behold, my masterpiece! Well, read and review. The next chapter is up, and so will the last one. I hereby promise that this story will not last longer than three chapters. R&R, please?