Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ When Two Lonely Hearts Meet ❯ Developments ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Fanfiction by SilentChild

Chapter 2: Developments

Eriol shifted slightly, and leaned against the cherry blossoms tree at the roundabout. He glanced worriedly at his watch for the umpteenth time that morning. "It isn't like Tomoyo to be late, especially not on the first day of the semester. Frowning, he fingered his sun key, breathed in deeply, and held back his worry.

Tomoyo tossed restlessly in her huge bed. Her hair was spread out about her like a halo. Her brows drawn tight, she moaned, and then turned on her side. Besides her, an anxious maid called her name frantically, but Tomoyo did not hear her, for she was trapped in a nightmare.

" Sakura… I like you…" murmured the Tomoyo in the dream. Sakura stared, understood and turned pale. Then came anger, and despair followed.

"How could you, Tomoyo? You were my best friend… How could you do this to me? How could you?" Sakura stepped closer, and closer. Tomoyo felt something wet in her hands, and glanced, but then turned away in horror. Her hands were covered in blood. Screams came, and Tomoyo jerked her head up, to the mutilated figures of Sakura and Syaoran. Blood flowed from the inhuman figures, and Tomoyo saw their blood in her hands. She, Tomoyo Daidouji, had killed her best friend and her best friend's lover. "You destroyed our lives, Tomoyo," came the bodiless voices from their mutilated corpses. "How could you? How could you?"

Tomoyo wanted to stop their accusations, to say that she was innocent. But her hands were covered with their blood. Evidence was clear. She tried to block the voices by covering her ears, but they only grew in volume, accusing, blaming. "No!" cried Tomoyo, her voice sounding over their incantation.

And opened her eyes to the deep darkness of Eriol's concerned-filled eyes. All at once, Tomoyo flung herself from the bed into the warm compassion of Eriol's embrace. Tears flowed uncontrollably. Eriol closed his eyes, and hugged Tomoyo tightly, tying to pass on some of his courage. Behind them, Sonomi and the maid retreated quietly, leaving the couple to their privacy. Sonomi was worried. It was the first time, after Sakura's and Syaoran's departure for Hong Kong that Tomoyo had broken down. Sonomi had known that Tomoyo was suppressing her misery, but she did not interfere, hoping that her daughter would be able to overcome it alone. But it seemed that she was wrong. Sighing, Sonomi shook her head forlornly, and wondered about the dark-haired boy. He seemed genuinely concerned about Tomoyo. Then a thought occurred to her. "But… isn't Tomoyo gay?"

Eriol looked down at the bundle in his arms that was Tomoyo, and at once felt that similar rush of love and compassion flood him. Smiling sadly, he kissed her hair lightly, and felt her stir. Drowsy amethyst eyes looked up into dark blue eyes in slight confusion, and recognition came. She flushed, and tried to pull away. "I'm sorry," Tomoyo started, but stopped when Eriol placed a finger on her lips to quiet her.

"No apology need, Tomoyo. How do you feel?" asked Eriol, his gaze never leaving her.

"I'm fine now. It's just a bad dream," replied Tomoyo, flushing at his concentration at her, but could not help but shudder when memories of the nightmare came rushing back.

"Sometimes dreams mirror our deepest fears." At her startled look, Eriol explained," My dreams were often what I feared. Sakura failing to pass Yue's test even after the second chance, my failing to help Sakura change the Clow cards," he paused, wondering if he should continue. At Tomoyo's questioning yet encouraging look, he braved on. "And I fear that I would lose you, Tomoyo."

I fear that I would lose you, Tomoyo. The words rang in her mind. Her brows narrowed in confusion, and her eyes conveyed the silent question, `What do you mean?'

Sighing a little at her naivety and innocence, Eriol leaned in, and kissed her on the cheek. Letting out the breath he never knew he held, he smiled softly when he heard Tomoyo gasped. "My feelings to you remain true, my dearest Tomoyo."

All at once, Tomoyo was reminded of the nightmare that had just passed. Confusion reigned over astonishment. "Sakura… Syaoran…" Looking down at her pale clean hands, Tomoyo could almost envision the blood again. "I'm sorry, Sakura… Syaoran… I didn't mean to…" Tears trickled upon the nearly dried tear tracks and down onto her hands.

Eriol blinked in surprise at the sudden change of emotions in Tomoyo. Clasping her tightly wrung hands into his chest, he gazed deeply into the wells of hurt in her eyes. "Tell me, Tomoyo," was the only encouragement she needed to pour out her nightmare, her fears of losing Sakura even as a friend, and fear of betrayal to Sakura, and of her insecurities.

Unable to resist, Eriol gathered Tomoyo into his embrace once again, giving comfort silently, understanding her pain fully, yet unable to help her ease it. Pressing his lips to the top of her head, he held her close, until her sobs quieted down, her shaking eased, and her breathing slowed to that of sleep. Gradually, gently, unwilling to part from her, Eriol placed her down onto her bed, and tucked her in. Kissing her lightly on the cheek again, he retreated from the room quietly.

To cheerlin, I purposely made Eriol kiss Tomoyo only on the forehead, to show the development between them.

Hmm … it's rather short. A bit busy, trying to cope with the so heavy mountain load of work that the teachers insist are good for us. Well, remember to read and review, and do that too for my other stories.