Case Closed Fan Fiction / Fan Fiction ❯ The Mezumi Detectives ❯ Canine Catastrophe: A Test Of Wits ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: I own all of my OCs, and no characters from Detective Conan. ^.^



It was a cold, breezy Saturday afternoon, a crowd of people gathered around a brown brick building. A tall, well built police officer was holding everyone back. "People, please stay behind the line. I know this seems... odd but I think this will be benificial to the city." What he meant was a detective agency with a twelve-year-old being the mastermind of the idea. Diane Mezumi, Jimmy Kudo's cousin on his mother's side, had proved to have an IQ higher than some adults. Although ownership belonged to her father, Raymond Mezumi, everything was her idea. She solved crimes along with her 18 year old brother Riku, her two best friends Serenity, 12 and Janet, 11, and their two dogs, Whitney, a small maltese dog with a red bandana tied around it's neck, and Nikko (pronounced Nee-co) a mixed breed with a flag bandana in honor of being born on July 4. People found the idea absurd but really couldn't do anything about it.

~at Mezumi Detective Agency (script format)~

Diane *on the phone*: "Yeah Jimmy, we just opened the place today, although I'm probably thinking we won't get much business."
Jimmy: "That's fine Diane, I'm guessing you should expect that. You're only twelve after all."
Diane: "But Jimmy, if people would just stop and see that kids can do as good of a job as they can, I wouldn't be worrying."
Jimmy: "Diane, do you think they took me seriously when I became a detective? They'll warm up to you I promise."
Diane: "Alright, but you will come visit sometime right?"
Jimmy: "Uh sure, if I could just get away from Rachel long enough. *chuckles*"
Diane: "Alright, bye Jimmy." *hangs up*

Jimmy was always her favorite cousin. She appreciated anyone who could be smarter than her. Jimmy's shrinking was no secret to her or her family (her brother and father) but she always thought he could have avoided it. She would let this thought go thinking it was one of his off days. After all, being stuck in a child body was no laughing matter. All of a sudden, she heard loud barking and running footsteps. She went outside to check it out. All she saw was a note under a small rock.

Diane: "Guys! Get over here!"
Riku: "What is it?"
Diane: "Well, the dogs are gone and I found this note?"
Janet: "What does it say?"
Diane: "Detective Diane must come to this address alone. If she doesn't, the dogs will not see the light of day again. Well that's not good."
Serenity: "Of course it's not! Diane you have to do something!"
Diane: "All right! Keep your pants on! I'll go investigate. If I'm not back in two hours, come look for me."

Diane left the building and soon came to an old warehouse. "I think this is the place." She entered through the giant, red steel doors. The few broken windows made the room barely visible in the dim sunlight. She found another note taped to a nearby wall. She sat down on an old crate and try to read. All she could see was a list of numbers: 20-8-5 4-15-7-19 1-18-5 23-8-1-20 25-15-21 19-5-5-11, 20-8-5 14-5-24-20 3-12-22-5 9-19 23-8-5-18-5 9-20 18-5-5-11-19. They seemed to be some sort of code. She adjusted her glasses while figuring out what it would mean. It didn't take her long to figure out that each number represented a letter of the alphabet which translated into: The dogs are what you seek, the next clue is where it reeks. "Where it reeks? Hmm... that's it! The dumpster!" She ran outside and, in plain sight, there was the next clue. Although she was disgusted by the repulsive odor, she snatched the sheet and read it.

"ruoy sgod era ton ni s'mrah yaw, si lla I nac yas. What is that supposed to mean? Wait, it's backwards! Your dogs are not in harm's way, is all I can say. First they threaten my dogs and now this!?! They must have been trying to lure me out of headquarters." She soon noticed some muddy tire tracks on the ground nearby. She followed them into a dark alleyway. Wedged between two boards in a wooden fence was a red bandana; the same bandana Whitney was wearing today. Diane grabbed the bandana and heard a sound like crumpled paper. She opened the bandana and found yet another clue. "How long must this go on!?! I'm not built for traveling long distances!" The note had read: "If you solve this case before light, some people will see that they aren't right, your dogs I did take, here the law is not fake." "Honestly, whoever writes these things isn't a very good poet... the law... that could only mean one thing." She ran off, the sun soon setting and the sky turning dark.

~at the police station~

Diane kicked opened the door to Police Chief Therrigos's (pronounced There he goes. It's a pun.) office. "Detective Diane, nice entrance." "Thank you, I've been rehearsing but that's not the point. I know that you took my dogs." "Why do you say that?" "The clues lead to your office; you wanted to test my skills as a detective so people wouldn't complain anymore. Is that right?" "You got me, I knew you'd be able to crack this case." "Actually chief, any kid my age would be able to solve it if they were smart enough, and you really need to practice your rhymes..." "Well it's not my fault I didn't pay attention in Literature when I was younger, I might as well show you your dogs."

He opened a door and both dogs ran out and almost knocked Diana over. She refastened the red bandana on the little white dog. "Um, chief? You mind giving me a ride back to headquarters?" He chuckled and said, "Of course not. We'll use one of the police cars." They drove back to the detective agency and when they got there, Diane explained everything and soon things returned to normal. "I guess Jimmy was right again. Like he says, one truth prevails."



This is my first try at mystery fics, review and tell me what you think! I'm kinda desperate...
Converting /tmp/phpwoVMBt to /dev/stdout