Case Closed Fan Fiction / Fan Fiction ❯ The Mezumi Detectives ❯ Schoolhouse Shock ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: Wait a minute, nothing to disclaim here. Any names that relate to real people/locations are unintentional.




Just because Diane Mezumi can run her own detective agency, it doesn't mean she'll get to miss school. She was sitting in the math class of Akutagawa Junior High half asleep. It was pure chance that her last few cases actually happened on weekends. Suddenly, a voice came on the announcements: "Pardon the interuption but I need to see Diane Mezumi, Serenity Hoang, and Janet Nguyen right away." That voice was Mr. Kydman, the principal of the school. She snatched her binder and headed to the office. Serenity and Janet were already there waiting for her. "What's the problem Mr. Kydman?" "Well, I know the three of you are detectives and I need your help. This is not a job the school staff can deal with." He sounded serious about this. His chestnut brown hair was in a slight mess and his scarlet red tie was slightly crooked on top of his sky blue shirt. "Someone has robbed the locker of Flora Whitedove." Flora had red hair in curls, and was the richest girl in school. She thinks the universe revolves around her just because she can get anything she wants. "Your point, Principal Kydman?" "Well, you'll have to see for yourself."

He led them to a orange locker with a heavily dented door. "What happened?" "That's the part we need your help with. Please look to your right." We did, of course and saw a damaged security camera on the ground next to the base of the ramp leading to a nearby hallway. "We recovered some footage, but it doesn't really help us at all." "Why not?" "You'll see." We found the nearest VCR in the science class which was empty at the moment. We watched the footage, but all we saw were the lockers, and then static. "Someone must have destroyed the camera from the ramp to hide something. Was there anything stolen Mr. Kydman?" "With help from Flora, we found that the security card used to enter her home was stolen, along with a piece of paper with the back-up password. We did find this." He handed us a paper with a crude stick figure representing Flora that said: "Look at me! I'm a preppy fat-head who's really ugly!" Diane thought, "At least they were honest in my opinion..."

Suddenly, we heard crashing footsteps coming our way. It was Flora, and she did not look happy. "Mr. Kydman, I've been looking for you everywhere! Just now, two thieves broke into my mansion and stole almost everything in my room!" Her cold gaze shifted to Diane. "Oh, you finally found some half-decent help." Diane was unfazed. Half-decent? She's been called worse. She asked, "Flora, do you have any enemies?" Diane already knew the answer to that, but she just wanted to see what Flora knew. "Me? Who could possibly hate the wonderful, gorgeous me?" "The people who drew this." Serenity handed her the drawing. She took a moment to analyze it. "Fat-head?... Ugly?... They're going to pay for this!" Janet was studying the locker door which could hold some clues to this while Diane stood next to her. "Hmm... this couldn't have been done by hand..." Flora was getting impatient. "Hello? Like, are you going to help me or not?" It was times like these Diane wished she could knock her lights out. (As she normally wouldn't hurt a fly...)

It turned out that the investigation took longer than they thought so Diane had to make a call. She turned on the silver cell-phone she had in her locker. "Riku? I'm investigating something in the school; if you want, you can come by and help out." "Alright, I'll see what I can do. I'll be there in... ten minutes." She hung up and continued the search for more clues while listening to Flora's whining. "Why do I have to stay? I'm going to miss my hair appointment, my petticure, my spa treatment, my soap operas - -" "Flora, if you don't want to be here, you can go home. I can call you when we found out who done it. Although for all you know, I could just quit right now and not care..." "Oh, fine. I can manage to keep my face looking beautiful for an hour longer or so... but I'll just sit in the office until you're done. I can't risk walking around too much and ruining my beautiful legs." Diane thought, "Finally! Now I can hear myself think!"

Riku arrived at the front door of the school and greeted Principal Kydman. Soon they split up in groups of two, Serenity and Janet in one, Riku and Diane in another. Serenity and Janet went to check upstairs while Riku and Diane split up to cover more ground. Diane knew someone who could possibly have some information. She inspected a brick wall near the counselors' office and tapped a hollow brick three times. It slid to reveal a speaker with a voice asking "What's the password?" "April showers bring wet students." "Alright, you may enter." A small passageway opened and Diane went through as the door closed behind her.

This led to the office of "Scout". Only a few select people know the location, including Diane. It was only a nickname seeing as no one knew his real identity. Rumors had it that he was experimented on for an artificial brain that gave him almost infinite knowledge as a young boy and graduated early so he spent his days hacking into the school security system until he was old enough for an actual job. These "passwords" he comes up with change weekly but Diane could always keep up. It did make her wonder if he's even human. Diane soon came to a white room with a camera and a speaker hooked up. The same voice said, "Ah, it's you detective. What brings you here?" "Scout, I need some info on the robbery of Flora Whitedove's locker. So far, I got nothing." "Interesting, maybe I can enhance the security footage." A large screen lowered and where there was once static, a clear picture of one of the thieves holding a crowbar about to bust the security camera. He had grayish-blonde hair and gray-brown eyes... Diane soon exclaimed "That's Clayton Shakum. He's just some guy I know back in elementry." She continued that statement in her thoughts. "Knowing him, he was the one who drew that portrait... but why did he do it? And who was the other thief?"

She finally had a lead. "Scout, you got anymore footage?" "I'm sorry, I can't recover anymore than that." "Alright, that'll be all. Take me out of here." She was soon lifted by an elevator-like platform and was raised into the higher dimension of the building. She exited out of the school elevator and wondered how he does that. "That's another mystery I'll probably never solve." She sped off to find Riku and tell him about the clue.

She caught up to him and he said he'll keep looking for any other clues. Diane explored the school and wound up within the large gymnasium. It seemed empty until suddenly... "Detective, don't interfere." Clayton stepped out from behind the bleachers. "Well, maybe I have to. You can't just steal from other people." Diane mentally added, "No matter how much they deserve it." "I'm just taking back what was rightfully mine, and other stuff too." What he said didn't make any sense, but she'd have to ask him about that later. "I know there's someone working with you. Where are they?" "He's locking the doors while continuing with our plans." She ran to the doors and, sure enough, they were locked. He pulled out some keys. "I can't let you leave, we have to do this." She glared at him and said, "Clayton, no matter what your reason, this is still a crime. Hand them over." He simply smirked and said "Make me."

Diane had no choice; she had to fight him."It was a good thing I had karate lessons then, Clayton." Their fists were flying but soon he got the advantage. He wrapped the strap holding the keys around her neck and she was soon close to suffocating. Diane struggled and somehow managed a backflip and kicked him in the face. His head smacked against the wall and he passed out. Diane checked his vital signs. He was still alive so she simply took the keys and exited out of the gym. As she wandered through the empty hallways, she soon noticed someone running out of the building. Diane ran after them and snagged their backpack while sharply turning them so she could see their face. It was Dallas Daye. He's one of Clayton's close friends. He had short dark-blonde hair and one green eye and one blue eye, both which were filled with fear at the moment.

He started to struggle. "Let me go!" "Tell me where you were going." "Um, somewhere?" "What's in the bag Dallas?" "Nothing! Just my stuff." Diane pulled the zipper and out spilled a CD player, a watch, a bracelet and other assorted items. He looked sheepishly downward and said, "Well, some of it is mine..." "Dallas, what's going on?" "Listen, it was Flora's fault!" "Answer the question Dallas." "OK! Flora, she said if we had something to trade for, she let us borrow money from her. Only thing is, she wants us to pay her back double, or we won't get our stuff back. Everybody was getting tired of it, so Clayton and I, we decided to get everyone's things back. Only, we kinda had a problem getting past security..." "Dallas, how would I know if this is the truth?" "You're the genius. You figure it out."

He did have a point there. "Dallas, what would happen if you never pay back the money?" "Well, she'd either keep the stuff, or she could auction it on E-bay if we didn't pay in thirty days." Talk about cruel. At that moment, a large brunette girl walked by. She appeared to have just came in from outdoors as the sweat rolled down her face. It was Katie Sanders, a friend of Diane's. "Hi guys, oh Dallas! You got my bear back!" She plucked a purple stuffed animal from the pile. Diane stood there dumbstruck. "OK, why didn't someone include me?" "Well, we figured since you're the nice never-do-anything-wrong kind of person and get the wrong idea about this, we figured you wouldn't get involved anyways." She pondered at the fact and said, "You know Dallas, there might be something besides rocks in your head after all." "Thanks Diane I... hey!" Diane grabbed some stuff and ran off. "I'd talk more but I've got something to do!"

She sifted through the belongings and selected some for her plan. She soon ran into Flora and she said, "Oh, it's you. Did you find out who took my things yet? This school is so boring." "Well one, yes I do know, and two, it's not your stuff." "What? How would you know?" I pulled out some items. "Well, for one, none of these things has your name on it." "Well, I, um..." "And you're rich, you might as well buy these things if you want them so much." "Oh, alright then! But it's all a matter of business." "Business is auctioning other peoples' things on Ebay?" "Well, what's business without profit?" "That's it Flora. I'm taking you down once and for all!" Principal Kydman appeared right on cue at that exact moment. "Excellent work Diane. You found the real thief." Flora was in shock and sputtered out explanations. "Um, this isn't what it looks like. We were just-- uh... she did it?" "Nice try Flora, it looks like we'll be writing you a suspension for a long time..."

Diane checked my watch, seeing that it was 5:00 p.m., Diane went to check on Clayton and saw that he was alright. Everything was cleared up and the next day we had given everyone their belongings. Before she left the school, she thought for a moment. "I should've been able to catch on to this sort of trouble if it was happening right under my nose. These kids get smarter everyday! Well, it looks like this is another mystery solved for us."




Yes, it is pretty long. I had to make sure it made sense and do some adjustments but here it is! R&R!

Converting /tmp/php32H9Eu to /dev/stdout