Case Closed Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Fires of Vengence ❯ The Return of Innocence ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Fires of Vengeance
 
AN: Yes, I'm starting a new fic, but unlike all my others, this is a crossover between: Detective Conan, Inuyasha, and Ranma 1/2. To understand some of this story, you might want to read Icka's Shinigami Universe. The Detective Conan side is based off of that AU. While it is not required to enjoy the story, it will definitely help out. Also, remember: Bold is flashbacks, italicize is thoughts.
 
Chapter 1 - The Return to Innocence
 
Love - Devotion
Feeling - Emotion
Don't be afraid to be weak
Don't be too proud to be strong
Just look into your heart my friend
That will be the return to yourself
The return to innocence
If you want, then start to laugh
If you must, then start to cry
Be yourself don't hide
Just believe in destiny
Don't care what people say
Just follow your own way
Don't give up and use the chance
To return to innocence
That's not the beginning of the end
That's the return to yourself
The return to innocence
It's a return to innocence
"Return to Innocence" - Enigma
 
It was a crispy Saturday morning, in the middle of summer. There was hardly any noise at the moment, for not many people were up and walking around at 5 am. This was the reason no one noticed the sudden shimmering of a light in an alley was. Nor was there anyone around to see what looked like a gate or a portal open up, spilling three weary travelers out and shutting after them. The three humans picked themselves up, gathered the belonging they had brought with them, and set off at a normal pace, looking around as if making sure no one had seen them appear.
As the sun rose over the horizon, it's rays bounced off of the travelers. The man in the forefront squinted his eyes as he continued down the street. His clothes were torn and he had bruises all over, his right arm wrapped with a bandage that was soaked with blood. The 22-year-old did not care. Walking beside him was his two companions, both male. One of them had blue eyes and black hair in a pigtail. He was wearing a red Chinese shirt and black pants. The other was a little different from the other two. He had unusual silver hair that went down past his waist. What made him different, though, was the fact that he had dog's ears on the top of his head, instead of human ones.
"Ranma, Inuyasha, We've made it," Shinichi said as he saw the Mouri Detective Agency. "We've made it back. Back to the time where our fiancées are still alive…"
 
------------
 
Kagome sat on her bed, hugging her pillow. She'd been in her room ever since she first returned home from the Sengoku Jidai era. Everyone was worried about her, for she'd not left since arriving last night…
 
BAM!
The door slammed open and Ms. Higurashi looked out of the kitchen to see her only daughter drop her backpack and run up to her room. Immediately, she knew something was wrong with Kagome, and there was only one person it could be about: Inuyasha. Some people might consider not ver bright, but the Higurashi matriarch knew where her daughter's heart lied. It was with a silver haired, inu youkai 500 years from the past.
"Kaasan?" a young voice by her side broke through her thoughts. "What was that?"
Ms. Higurashi looked down at her son, Souta, and smiled. "That was just your sister returning. She seemed a little upset, so let's give her sometime."
Souta grinned up at her. "Okay! I hope Inuyasha-niichan's coming too!"
The Higurashi matriarch just laughed as she returned to making dinner for her family.
 
When her mother had come up a few hours later, she was surprised to find Kagome asleep, and looking like her whole world had ended. Ms. Higurashi moved Kagome around so that she could cover her daughter with her blanked and turned out the lights, knowing in a little while, Kagome would come down the stairs and tell her what was wrong. I wonder what the fight was about this time, the Higurashi matriarch had thought as she shut the door and headed back down to her son.
 
------------
 
"Why do I have to wait?!" Kudo Shinichi shouted at his companions, staring in their direction as if daring one of them to go against him. "I've waited for 5 years to see her again, I'm not waiting any longer."
"Calm down, Shinichi," Saotome Ranma told his friend. He too wanted to see his girl, but he also knew the ramifications about see her too soon. "We'll see them soon, just not yet. Remember, you're not the only one to lose a loved one."
"I don't care! I want to see her NOW!"
"Shinichi, surely because you're a Shinigami, you know what might happen if we change the past too much. We only have a limited time here, so we need to be careful," Inuyasha said, putting in his two cents worth.
"Alright, Alright, you guys win. But what are we going to do? I don't want the future to happen again. I don't ever what to see that again…"
"We know, we know. Now let's get down to business. What are we going to do? We only have two weeks to change the past. At least, that's what the old ghoul said, so I wouldn't push it." Ranma looked at his friends for suggestions.
"I think we'd better gather a bit of information first. There are a few things we need to know: One, what today's date is; Two, what is going on in our past selves lives; Three, where the heck the Hell's Fury gang is. The last one can wait until we can more prepare everyone for the fights," Shinichi said, starting to layout a plan. "Let's first work on what we'll teach our previous selves. After all, they can't learn everything we know now in two weeks."
"Agreed."
 
------------
 
"Akane?" Kasumi opened the door and looked in on her younger sister. In the dark room, she could barely make out the shape of the youngest Tendo lying on her bed, curled into a fetal position. "Akane? Can you please come eat?" Kasumi tried asking again.
The blob on the bed moved a little bit, but no sound came out. Sighing, Kasumi opened the door more and walked in, shutting it behind her. Moving over to Akane's desk, Kasumi sat down in the chair and took a better look at her sister. Akane was still curled up into a fetal position, hugging her stuffed P-chan with all her might. Kasumi could see the tear tracks on her face. The eldest Tendo sister's heart went out to the broken girl in front of her.
"Akane, you can't blame yourself for what happened. It was an accident."
"Why?…" Came the question, miffled from behind her stuffed animal. "Why'd he have to die?"
"We all die at some point in our lives. Some just come sooner than others."
"But why did he have to be the one to die? Why couldn't it have been someone else? Why'd he have to die now?" Akane broke off her questions as sobs came out, racking her whole body.
"There, there, Akane. You should be grateful. He, at least, died a hero's death," Kasumi told her as she moved to sit on the bed.
"But I didn't get to tell him!" Akane wailed, dropping her stuffed toy and throwing herself into her sister's arms. "And I'll never know if he cared or not? Why'd he have to go so soon?!" Akane couldn't say anything more as her tears overpowered her and she just clung to her sister for dear life, letting wave after wave of anguish and suffering pass through her.
For her own part, Kasumi was at a loss. Her little sister was hurting, and for once, there was nothing she could do. Why did it have to end like this? They would've been so good for each other! Kasumi thought to herself.
Akane kept her hold onto Kasumi even when she'd cried herself back to sleep. Every time Kasumi tried to move or get her to let go, Akane'd whimper and pull her sister closer, seeking a safety Kasumi knew didn't exist outside of his arms. That was who Akane really wished was there, holding her: the man she grew to love.
As she continued to hold her sister, Kasumi reflected on the past couple of years. Ever since their mother's death, all three Tendo girls had changed. For her, she had almost no childhood, being somewhat forced to take over her mother's position and grow up quickly. Nabiki had a similar situation. She had to grow up fast also, but instead of taking care of the house like Kasumi did, she took care of the finances. This caused a poker face to grow, over taking the kind hearted little sister that Kasumi once knew.
Out of the three of them, you could say that Akane had it the worst and also the best time. She was still able to keep a childhood and grow up normal in that sense, but what happened to her was much worse. Akane'd shut off all feeling and emotions of love or companionship, allowing no one to get any closer, for fear of losing them too.
When Ranma and Akane had first met, Kasumi hoped the red-haired girl would be able to become a much-needed friend for Akane, since it'd looked like they very well couldn't complete their fathers' arraigned marriage. But when they found out that Ranma was actually a guy, Kasumi felt like there was no one out there who could help her sister. Because of the way the male side of Ranma and Akane had met, it'd put a damper on any feelings growing between them, thus cause more pain for both of them in the end.
Kasumi shook her head to clear her thoughts as the bedroom door opened to show Nabiki.
"Kasumi? How is she?" Nabiki asked as she sat down on the desk chair.
"Not good, I'm afraid. I think this maybe the last straw for her. She finally opened to someone and they were once again taken away from her. I don't know what to do anymore, Nabiki!" Kasumi surprised her sister by breaking out into tears. "Akane's hurting and there is nothing I can do. What am I supposed to do now? I'm not god. I can't bring him back. And yet, if he doesn't come back, I'm afraid we may lose her for good."
Nabiki stared at Kasumi in shock. Never had the happy, almost oblivious Kasumi shown so much emotion or pain. To be honest, Nabiki wasn't for sure what to do either. Ever since they'd gotten the word of his death, she'd been worried about Akane's continued health. For once, money couldn't fix the problem.
Looking down at her younger sister, Nabiki ran her hand over her cheek and spoke, for once, with rare insight. "The only thing we can, Kasumi: show her we're still here for her."
 
------------
 
"Alright, let me get this straight," Ranma said as he went over their plans once again. "We each split up and go to our respective selves. We somehow convince them to believe that we are from the future and then once again, convince them that we need them to go to the meeting."
"That about sums it up," Shinichi replied.
There was a pause for a few seconds before Ranma spoke once again. "Well, I like it. So when do we begin."
"As soon as we are done here. I don't know about you guys, but I'm hungry. No offence, but none of your cooking is anything like Kagome's Ramen," Inuyasha said, his stomach growling.
Shinichi and Ranma laughed. "You've been living in our era for five years and you still haven't found anything better than Ramen. You are one crazy demon, Inuyasha," Shinichi replied.
"Hey, potato chips aren't too bad!"
All three broke out in laughter at his comment, but quieted down when the food came. After they were done eating and had paid the bill, they split up, going their separate ways and promising to meet up again in three days, at the designated spot and time.
 
------------
 
"Conan-kun! Tousan! Breakfast!" the young woman's voice rang through the house, bringing the two out of their pleasant dreams. For Mouri Kogoro, it was a date with the newest pop star model. For the not so young Edogawa Conan, it was about being his true self and going on a date with the girl of his dreams. As they both treaded down the stairs, they could pleasant aroma from Ran's cooking and it speed up their booting processes. By the time they had reached the dining room, both were capable of intelligent speech.
Conan watched with fascination as Ran turned a simple breakfast into a feast for the three of them. Just as she was about to sit down at the table, though, a knock came from the door.
"I wonder who that is, this early in the morning," Ran stated as she walked out to answer it. Conan heard her open the door and then her startled gasp.
Wondering who it was that could surprise Ran, Conan got down and was heading towards her when he heard her cry of, "SHINICHI!"
Shinichi? Conan thought as he continued on his way. But I'm right here. Why'd she say my name, unless… All of Conan's thoughts shut off as the scene at the door came into view. Standing there, holding Ran ins his grasp, was none other than Kudo Shinichi, the famous teenage detective.
HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?! Conan thought as the world turned black and he fainted from shock and lack of food.
 
------------
 
Inuyasha sat in the tree, contemplating what was going on. It was unusual, for the window was shut and locked and the blinds were closed, not allowing him view of the room. As far as he could remember, she'd never done that while she was in her time, and he could tell she was here because of her scent. It was one of the few scents he'd memorized because of the time he'd spent with her. The absence of his scent didn't surprise him, for he knew his behavior from this time did leave much to be desired. Spending five years without her had made him grow up a lot.
Sighing, Inuyasha resigned himself to doing what he didn't want to do. Jumping down, he went to the front door, and rang the bell. After waiting for a few moments, the door opened to reveal Kagome's mother.
"Inuyasha?" To his amusement, she sounded surprised. "What're you doing here? Did you somehow unseal the well?"
That shocked the dog demon. The well as sealed? If so, he had a major problem on his hands. Deciding to think about later, Inuyasha asked the one question he'd never thought he'd be able to again: "Where's Kagome?"
Silently, her mother motioned to her bedroom and Inuyasha took off with a leap and landed at the top of the stairs. He slowly opened her bedroom door and looked in, seeing her on her bed, facing the wall and hugging her pillow. He could smell her tears quite strongly, meaning she'd been doing a lot of crying. Inuyasha was determined to fix that. He stepped into the room and shut the door behind him and turned to face Kagome, who still had her back to him.
"Kagome?"
 
------------
 
Ranma was busy jumping over the rooftops, hoping to stay out of sight from anyone he knew. He didn't want to arouse suspicion just yet, and knowing the Nerima Wrecking Crew, once someone spotted him, his life would once again go down the drain. Just as he passed Furinkan High School, a familiar cry rang out.
"DAMN YOU, RANMA!"
Curious to why the shout, Ranma headed over in the direction of the eternally lost boy, for once, not understanding his predicament. After all, when someone blames you for something, don't you want to know what you supposedly did? And, as everyone knew, Ryoga blamed everything on Ranma, whether it was really his fault or not.
Ranma finally caught up with the martial artist near the edge of the forest. For some reason, Ryoga looked a lot more down that usually, like he'd just lost someone close to him. Not understanding the situation, Ranma approached the depressed boy and gave is usual remark.
"Yo, Ryoga, how's it goin'?"
Instantly, Ryoga flipped around and brought his hands up to fight. "RANMA, PREPAre t…." Ryoga trailed off when he realized what he was saying and whom he was saying it to. "No," he spoke, his face full of fear and dread. "It's not possible…you can't be here…."
"Okay, man, you're starting to freak me out. Why can't I be here?" Ranma asked, moving closer.
"You…you can't be….you're dead!"
 
------------
 
"Conan-kun? Conan-kun, you okay?" Ran's voice filtered through the haze surrounding the detective's brain. "Come on, Conan-kun. Time to wake up."
Conan slowly opened his eyes to look into Ran's concerned ones. Shaking his head lightly, Conan moved to sit up. "Ran-neechan, I just had the weirdest dream. Shinichi-niichan returned home and was hugging you."
Conan watched in horror as Ran smiled. 'That was no dream, Conan-kun. Shinichi's finally returned!"
Instantly, Conan shot up, ready for action. "Where's Shinichi-niichan right now?"
"I'm right here, Conan-kun." Conan looked up and saw Kudo Shinichi standing in the doorway leading to the dinning room. "Ran, do you think I can have a word with Conan-kun privately for a few moments? It seems he doesn't particularly like me."
Ran sighed. She'd hoped to be able to not lose sight of Shinichi for many hours, as he had a bad tendency of disappearing in a moment's notice. "Fine, but don't take long. Breakfast is almost ready."
She disappeared into the kitchen and Conan motioned for Shinichi to sit down on the couch, his watch pointed at the older detective. "Okay, who are you really?"
Shinichi smiled. "What? Can't tell by my appearance?"
"Appearances can be deceiving."
"Alright, I'm Kudo Shinichi, 22 years old. Meitantei of the West."
"Now I know you're lying. Shinichi isn't 22 years old."
"He would be if he was from the future."
"Yeah, but everyone knows time travel is impossible in real life."
"That's what you think. How shall I prove it to you? Ah yes: Let's see, Hattori's only 1/4 oni; Koizumi-san's a witch; Toyama-chan's a neko; Ran's an ice/snow maiden; Kuroba Kaito, AKA Kid, is a kitsune, and a white one at that…oh, and of course, we're both Shinigami's!" Shinichi smirked at the shocked expression on Conan's face.
"Yes, I do know you are Kudo Shinichi, age 17, reduced to being a school boy, Conan-kun."
"There's no way….I'd have felt your Shinigami power's by now…you can't be me…oh man, oh man, he knows my secret!" Shinichi shook his head as Conan's antics. Ever since he'd been force fed that pill that'd reduced his body, he'd developed a fear to being exposed. He didn't like it when anyone knew about his alternate identity. At least, that was the way it was until he'd found the cure.
Shinichi sighed and changed into his shinigami form, startling Conan out of his fear induced haze.
"You…you really are a shinigami…you really are…me…" Conan said in bewilderment.
Before Shinichi could respond, though, his cell phone rang. Answering it, he recognized who was on the other line.
"Hello, Ranma. How'd it go?"
"We've got problems.” Came the reply.
"What are they, and how bad?"
"I'm dead…"
 
AN: Well, what'd you think? Some may say that I haven't done enough with the Inuyasha side of things, but give it time. Each series will have their chance to stand in the spotlight. I hope everyone is enjoying this story and will give me feedback. After all, it's nice to know one's story is appreciated…