Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ Don't Wait For Me ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]
I don’t own Detective Conan. Sorry.



Kaito looked sadly up at the house in front of him. It was the last time that he would see it.
Or, at least, the person inside.
To onlookers, it would seem like he was a young man, coming home from a long trip, looking up at the house with sad eyes, remembering how long it had been. His pack full of souvenirs.
But it was filled with all the supplies that the illusive Kaitou Kid would need in his heist.
Yes, Kaitou Kid had done what Kaito never would have imagined.
Kid had taken over the 19 year old boy.
He had long since found the Pandora and successfully destroyed it. But ever since Kid had been put to rest, Kaito wasn’t able to sleep. Every time he went somewhere, he had to use every ounce of will power not to take something shiny.
Even the blonde hair detective had tried to help him.

III


“Kuroba-san…I’ve noticed that you have been…edgy…”
“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”
“You haven’t seemed to be yourself.”
“Who else would I be?” Kaito said coldly.
“Kid.”
“…”
“I fear that since he has ‘disappeared’ you don’t quite know who you are anymore.”
“I KNOW EXCATLY WHO I AM!” he snapped.
“There is no need to shout.”
“Sorry…”
“…”
“…”
“Have you noticed that Kid’s eyes are an almost purple color?”
“No…They’re blue.”
Your eyes are blue Kuroba-kun, not Kids. My career was tracking the thief. I think I would know his eye color.”
“Nakamouri-keibu says their blue.”
“Because they can be mistaken as blue.”
“…”
“You’re eyes.”
“What about them?”
“During this conversation…your eyes have changed between their normal blue color and the purple color that resembles that of Kid’s four times.”
After this statement, Kaito started to panic. “Hakuba…What do I do?”
“Personally? Leave. Get away for as long as you need. You don’t want to make yourself go mental.”
“What…what about Aoko?”
“Would you rather sort yourself out or her find out the one thing that would break her heart?”
“Where should I go?”
“Anywhere. Perhaps Europe? Perhaps someone from my family would take you in or at least find you a place somewhere. Or perhaps you could drift. Travel.”
“O.K.”
Hakuba grabbed Kaito’s shoulder. “Don’t worry. Everything will work out.”
Kaito looked Hakuba in the eye, grabbing him in tight hug. “Thank you.”
“Don’t worry about it. Try making yourself famous for your magic and not your sticky fingers…” The blonde patted him on the back comfortingly.
“Take care of Aoko for me.”

III

“Kaito?” Aoko exclaimed, seeing her best friend staring at the front of her house, seemingly lost in thought. It seemed as though her voice brought him out of the trance; he looked at her, making her heart drop as his eyes looked full of sorrow and regret.
He put on a fake smile. “Hey.”
“What are you doing?” she noticed the bag flung over his shoulder, “Kaito…are you going somewhere?”
“Yeah…” he choked, looking back up at the house.
She noticed his eyes were glossy. “Kaito…” she felt a knot build in the back of her throat. She touched his forearm.
At the touch he turned, pulling her into a tight embrace, burying his face in her hair, starting to shake uncontrollably.
“Kaito…” she returned the embrace, bringing on hand up to stroke the hair on the back of his neck.
They stood silent, Kaito taking in Aoko’s scent, she stroking his soft hair.
“I’m…I’m…sorry Aoko…” he sobbed into her hair, trying to pull her closer, breaking the anything but peaceful silence between them.
“It’s alright. It’s alright.” She cooed, feeling the lump in her throat grow bigger, trying to fend off the tears that were trying to escape.
“No…It’s not okay…I shouldn’t have to leave you…but…but it’s something that I have to do…I have to piece together who I really am…”
“Kaito…”
He raised his head, pulling back so he could look her in the eyes. “I will come back…I promise.” He bent down and kissed her softly on the lips.
So softly that, if Aoko didn’t know better, she wouldn’t have thought he did it at all.
“But please,” he said with pleading eyes, “don’t wait for me.”
“NO!” Aoko brought him back in a hard embrace, tears finally spilling from her eyes.
“AOKO!” he pulled her back by the shoulders, “NO! YOU HAVE TO PROMISE ME!”
“But…”
“I know…I love you too…” he rested his head against hers. “But I won’t be able to live with myself if I know that you won’t get on with you is life…because of me…”
She nodded. “O…okay Kaito…” Tears pouring freely down her face, “I…I promise…”
He truly smiled, kissing her on the forehead. “Thank you.”
He stepped away, making Aoko feel very cold. He picked up his long forgotten bag and started off.
“KAITO!”
He looked back.
“Come back soon…”
“I will…I think I’ll go crazy if I don’t get chased by you and your mop.” This made both of them smirk.
“Good bye…”
“Until we meet again…my Aoko.”