Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ Dream ❯ Dream ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]
DREAM
A Detective Conan Fanfic

Written by Miyu, Vampire Princess


AUTHOR'S NOTES:
My second "Detective Conan" fanfic and a follow-up to the vignette, "Wish". Please be gentle but fair. Told from Shinichi's point of view. A short introspective on how badly he wants to tell Ran the truth. Comments are encouraged and welcome. A standard disclaimer follows the story.




Lately, I've been having this reoccurring dream. Well, it's not the same dream really. Each case is different, but the end result is the same.

And I don't like it.

That's why I came into Ran's room. I felt uncomfortable and I needed to remedy that. I will admit, but not out loud, that I am comfortable with Ran. We've been friends since we were children. She knows me better than...well...me. I'm always amazed by her grace under fire and firm resolve under pressure. She tough, smart, and pretty. As Conan, she looks out for me. I like having her looking out for me, even if it does get annoying sometimes.

But in my dream, she's no where to be found.

Gone. *POOF!* Just like that. I switch between my seventeen-year-old self and my seven-year-old self, but I'm always running, always searching. I follow all the clues, all the leads, and yet, I can't find her. It's like she just disappears. Like she never existed.

That...scares me.

Especially since I haven't told her the truth.

That I'm really Shinichi!

But isn't that why I'm NOT telling her? Because I DON'T want her to disappear?

Sure she'll get all upset. She may even be angry enough to beat me to a bloody pulp. Then she won't speak to me for a while. While those things are indeed scary, I've mentally prepared myself for all those thing over the last six months. I'm not worried about her leaving me behind if she knows the truth. She won't. I know it!

I'm more concerned that the goons that turned me into a child would take her away. Or change her into what I am. She was cute as a kid, but I don't want to have to wait to confess to her. I've already waited too long.

When she sits by the window, staring out at nothing in particular, I know she's thinking of me. Shinichi. She doesn't sulk. Oh no. Her mood turns meloncholy, her entire body sinking into the chair. She's quiet. Very quiet. And she looks...lost. Is that right? Like she lost her best friend.

'I'm right here, Ran! I'd never leave you. Never!'

But I can't say that out loud. Not yet.

There are times when I think she's got me figured. Ran's smart as well as tough (a trait she picks up from ehr mother, thank goodness), and some days I'm just horrible at hiding my identity. The only thing that helps is that I'm roughly one-fourth my original size. The glasses help, too, I think.

But my wardrobe hasn't changed much. The bow tie should be a dead giveaway. And old habits die hard.

I need to learn another way to concentrate other than kicking around a soccer ball. She gets this look of recognition if she catches me. And she's accused me of "being just like him" one more than one occassion. I'd always laugh it off, as if it were a joke and yet....

I wonder...if she doesn't aleady know.

Some day, I'll tell her. I swear. Anything to keep her by my side.

Anything to get rid of the nightmares.

Right now, I'm comfortable. Safe. So is Ran. There are only good dreams when I sleep with Ran.

And the ocassional nose bleed.

"Ran?"

"Hmm?"

"Can we...walk through the park tomorrow? Maybe eat lunch at that noodle stand you like?"

"If I didn't know any better, Conan, I'd think you were asking me out."

"Aren't I a little too young for you?"

I hear a yawn behind me, followed by a muffled answer. "True."

"And what about Shinichi?"

There's a long pause. A longer pause than I would have liked. She's usually quick to respond to the mention of my name. Oh gods I hope she's not crying again!

"Ran?"

I roll over, but she's only asleep, a small smile curving her lips. I can't help but smile, too. I love how she looks when she's asleep. A real angel. How did I get so lucky? Kissing my fingers, I then place them on her cheek. She stirs but doesn't wake. Turning back around, I snuggle under the covers, ready for sleep to take over.

'I love you, Ran. I hope you'll understand...one day.'


~OWARI~


DISCLAIMER:
I do not own any part of "Detective Conan". That prestige honor goes to creator Gosho Aoyama. The characters in this story are used without permission. No money is being made from the production of this story, so it is pointless to sue.