Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Detective Prince ❯ Unexpected Turn ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The Detective Prince
Chapter 12
Unexpected Turn

"Cat get ahold of your tongue, where have you been going for the past three days?"

Conan took a step back, nervously looking up at her. He then turned to Heiji.

"I was...with."

"With, with who?" Ran asked becoming impatient.

"Think.....think."

"Dr. Agasa." Conan finally blurted.

"Oh really now, we'll just see about that." Ran said reaching down, dialing his number and taking a seat at the couch.

"Kudo, what's going on?" Heiji whispered.

"Later." Conan whispered back.

Conan and Heiji stood by, waiting. She was on the phone with Dr. Agasa for nearly over a minute. She closed her phone standing to her feet with a huff. Ran walked over as she looked down at him.

"Why didn't you just tell me you were at Dr. Agasa's?" Ran asked.

“Good, he went along with it."

"I...um." Conan said as Ran's phone began to ring.

She looked down at it, rolling her eyes.

"Looks like you're off the hook for now, I have somewhere I need to be." Ran said as she walked out the front door.

"I wonder who that was." Conan thought to himself.

Conan took a deep breath in relief. He then turned to see Heiji with his arms buried in his pockets, glaring down at him.

“Alright Kudo, what’s been going on?” Heiji asked.

“Just like what she said, I’ve been hanging over Dr. Agasa’s.” Conan said stepping around him as he made his way to the couch.

“You do realize you’re talking to me and not Ran, right?”

Conan came to a stop, looking back at him.

“What are you hiding from me?” Heiji asked.

The two stood in silence, studying eachother through their eyes and posture.

“I need to watch my choice of words
.....If there is any man on this planet who can link me to Tim Drake and Red Robin, it’s him.”

Conan’s phone began to ring a couple seconds later.

“You going to answer that?” Heiji asked.

Conan reached into his pocket, pulling his phone to his eyes. An incoming call from Ai awaited.

“Haibara must have been with Dr. Agasa when Ran called, she must want answers.”


Conan slid the phone back into his pocket.

“Looks like I have a lot of answering to do, I hate lying to my friends but..
.

Heiji took a step forward, placing a hand upon Conan’s shoulder. He looked up at him, a smile coming to his face.

“There must be a good reason why you’re hiding something, but I would like to know one thing.” Heiji stated releasing his hand from his shoulder.

“What’s that?”

“Is your life in any kind of danger?”

“Our lives are always in danger, you know, with the line of work we deal with.” Conan replied.

“Good response, he’s keeping me on edge.” Heiji thought to himself.

“How have things been in Osaka?” Conan asked changing the subject.

“So that’s how you want to play it Kudo, we’ll see just how long you can hide this little secret of yours from me.”

“Everything has been shallow for the past couple weeks, nothing to serious.” Heiji said answering the question.

“Good, that means you should have time to help me on a case.” Conan said.

“You talking about the abducted couples?”

Conan nodded.

“Heard a lot about it back west, so how much information do you have?” Heiji asked.

“Not very much, but I’m pretty sure down at the station they might have more details.” Conan answered.

“Good call, you coming with?” Heiji asked.

“Wouldn’t miss this for anything.”

With that the two detectives headed out.

The computer gave off a beeping sound. He reached over, tapping the enter button as a new screen popped up. He sat back in the chair, a map blown up on the screen.

“Looks like Katina Sugo hasn’t made any recent moves.”

Tim sat in silence for the next few minutes, fixing the broken com link on one of his suits.

“Need to remember what brought me here. It’s not like Deadshot to drop out of a hit, there must be something I don’t know.”

He finished shortly after. He stood up placing the suit into the locker next to the others.

“I wonder how things are going back in Gotham.” He thought to himself as his phone vibrated a few feet away.

Tim reached over looking to see who was calling.

“Sonoko, I wonder what she could possibly want now.”

He placed his phone back on the desk ignoring the call.

They pulled up at the station, exiting the cab. As they walked Conan looked over as a slight grin came to his face. Heiji noticed.

“What’s so funny?” He asked.

“I was just wondering how you found out.” Conan replied.

“What do you mean?”

“How did Ran confront you about this whole situation?”

“She called two nights ago telling me to remind you to brush your teeth, it wasn’t long after that we both realized you weren’t with me.” Heiji said with humor in his voice.

Conan snickered a little at this.

“You should have called and informed me of your little scheme Kudo.”

His snickers quickly turned into laughs.

“This is something we’ll look back on some day and get a good laugh.” Conan stated.

“It would make it even funnier if I knew what you were hiding, that way we could both laugh together.” Heiji said pushing for information.

“Good try, but you’ll defiantly have to do better than that.” Conan replied as they entered the station.

The first person to approach them was Ninzaburo Shiratori.  

“Hattori Heiji, surprised to see you here all the way from Osaka.” Ninzaburo said.

“Thought I’d drop in and see if I could help with the double abductions case.” Heiji said.

“Any help is appreciated, how familiar with the cases are you?” Ninzaburo asked.

“I was hoping you could enlighten me.” Heiji replied.

“Follow me, we’ll talk around back.”

Conan and Heiji followed him out the front door as they took to the back of the building. They took a seat at a table. Ninzaburo gave him a quick scoop of what’s been going on, along with all the evidence they had collected.

“What about the forensics?”

“You’ll have to head down town, that’s where the bodies are being held.” Ninzaburo informed.

“Very well, your insight has proven to be very helpful.” Heiji thanked standing to his feet.

“Until next time then.”

Heiji nodded as Conan and himself headed back to the streets, catching yet another cab. The two sat back in comfort, having a brief conversation about sports. They came to a stop shortly after. Heiji lead the way as the entered the large facility, crowded by multiple people walking around. They headed to the front desk as Heiji reached for his wallet.

“How may I help you today sir?” A woman asked from behind the desk.

“I’ve come to have a look at some bodies, the one’s from the recent abductions.” Heiji replied holding his ID up.

She looked at the id, then back to him.

“You’re that famous detective from Osaka, I knew you looked familiar.”

“Yea, that would be me.” He proudly stated.

“I know I shouldn’t,but can I get your autograph?”

“Sure...why not.” Heiji answered leaning forward.

“Stay focused.” Conan stated tugging at him.

Heiji ignored this as he wrote down his signature on a blank piece of paper. She gripped the paper as a smile came to her face.

“So where are the bodies located?” Heiji asked.

“Dr. Mick’s office is located just down that hall, last door on the right.”  She replied.

“Thank you for your time.”

Conan stepped infront of Heiji as they continued on their path. They made it down the hall, coming to a stop at the final door. Conan reached forward knocking. It slid open a few seconds later.

“How may I assist you two?” A man dressed in a full body rubber suit and protection helmet asked.

Conan looked up to see his name tag which read ‘Dr. Mick’.

“What’s with the suit?” Conan thought to himself.

“I was wondering if we could take a look at the bodies.” Heiji said.

“I thought they wrote down everything they needed at the crime scene.” Dr. Mick exclaimed.

“They did, I just want to give the bodies an additional look myself.” Heiji answered.

“I’m afraid that won’t be possible at this moment.”

“Why not?” Heiji asked.

“The bodies contain toxins which can be harmful if breathed in.”

“Have you diagnosed what kinds?”

“They want us to keep things close to the chest for now, I’ll have a full list of everything tommarrow morning.”

“Great.” Heiji thought to himself.

“Is there anything else I can help you with?”

Heiji looked to Conan, then back to Dr. Mick.

“Here’s my card, if either of you have any questions just give me a call. My assistant Mr. Zale will be in tonight, covering the last tests.” Dr. Mick said handing the two of them a card.

“We’ll keep in touch.” Heiji said as they headed back down the hall.

They walked on in disappointment. Conan’s phone began to ring as they neared the exit. He pulled his phone from within his pocket to see an incoming call. He came to a stop as he looked around, catching sight of a bathroom not to far away.

“Be right back, got to use the restroom.” Conan said taking off.

“Sure he does, I wonder who that is.”  

Conan pushed past the doors while bringing the phone to his ears.

“Not a good time Tim.” Conan said.

“Get any new information?”

“Not yet, Doctor Mick wouldn’t allow us to examine the bodies.” Conan informed.

“Why not?”

“According to him they are toxic, must have been something inside them when he cut them open. He said they’ll hand out the results tommarrow.”

“We need to find out what, we don’t have time to spare. Where are you now?” Tim asked.

“Inside a bathroom not to far from his office, why?”

“Are you carrying the backup remote?”

Conan felt around, pulling it from his left
pocket.

“Yes, I’ve got it.” Conan answered.

“Good, now slide the bottom off.” Tim instructed.

Conan fiddled with it for the next few seconds, but couldn’t get the bottom to budge.

“Tim it’s not working.”

“Use your thumb to grip the left side as you pull, it should slide right off.”

Conan tried once more
this time succeeding, sliding the bottom piece off. A small, sticky, circular device fell out landing in Conan’s left hand. It gave off a red flash every few seconds.

“What is this?” Conan questioned.

“It’s a HWSS, do you have a secure area you can latch it on to?” Tim asked.

Conan’s eyes flopped from side to side. He walked over placing it under one of the sinks.

“It’s planted Tim.”

“Nice going Conan, it’ll only take about a minute for it to fully capture everything.”

“Capture, what do you mean?”

“It’s a heat wave based sonar tracking system, can spread out up to mile radius.” Tim answered.

Conan raised a brow in confusion.

“What now?”

“As we speak it’s making up a map of the whole facility, this way I have the blueprints to the building.”

“You plan on breaking in or something?”

“I’m in the planning stage, but that’s how it’s looking.” Tim stated.

“You really are something.” Conan said as the small device began to beep.

Conan kneeled down to see it flashing more erratic than before.

“I think something’s wrong, it’s making a beeping sound now.”

“It just completed it’s scan, I’ve got the data stored to the computer. Just press down on it, that should stop the beeping.” Tim said.

Conan reached forward pressing down on the small device.

“All done Tim.”

“Good work Conan, I’ll catch up with you later.” Tim said hanging up.

Conan hung up as well.
He stood in place for a few seconds, taking in everything that just occurred.

“Can’t believe I’m helping in his little heist
...is this even something I should be involved in?”

Conan shrugged this off making his way out of the bathroom to see Heiji speaking with the woman at the front desk.

“At least he had someone to keep him company.” Conan thought to himself.

They left shortly after making their way back to the Mouri residents. Conan was surprised to see neither Ran or Kogoro were present.
Heiji leaned up against the wall while adjusting his cap. It was well past three.

“I guess you can summerize our day as a recap of what we already knew.” Heiji stated.

“Pretty much.” Conan agreed.

Heiji began whistling a tune as Conan reached for the remote. He skimmed through the channels to see if their was any additional information exposed about their case.

“Hey Kudo, how do you think the toxins got onto the bodies?” Heiji questioned.

“Your guess is good as mine, we’ll have to wait until Dr. Mick reveals the results.” Conan said.

Conan switched the TV off once more after seeing no new information. He took a seat at the couch, resting his head in the palm of his hand. The sound of traffic gliding by, just outside the window.

“So you’re really not going to tell me where you’ve been hanging.”

Conan didn’t respond.

“Well whenever you decide to talk, just know I’m willing to listen.” Heiji said.

“Yea, I know.” Conan finally spoke.

“I’m going to go up and see someone not far from here, I’ll see you tommarrow.” He said while heading to the door.

“Heiji.” Conan said as Hattori reached for the knob.

“Yes?” He asked looking back toward him.

“Thanks.”

Hours went by as darkness hoovered over the city. He sat at the desk, finishing up the small details to his plan.

“The safest way in would be through the sewage system, there’s an entrance leading to the room.”

Tim stood from the chair a short time after, walking over and flipping the locker open. He strapped himself in, the cowl sliding into place.
He breathed in, tightly snapping the utility belt in place.

“Show time.”

He glided with the wind, staying in rhythm with it’s circulation which made for a smooth transition. Not long after he found himself standing, looking down at a building from the one he stood upon.

“Time to see what the HWSS is picking up.”

Special implanted eyelids flipped down over his eyes as he viewed the inside of the building through heat signatures.

“Looks like I have a location of where the bodies are
being held. Someone is currently in there, probably examining them.”

Red Robin stood there, thinking up a strategy to get the bodies alone. Using his com link he dialed Conan’s number.
He waited a few seconds before Conan answered.

“Hello?”

“Hey Conan, it’s Red Robin.”

“How many number’s do you have?” Conan asked.

“This is the com link.” Red Robin said.

“So what’s the latest, you get in yet?”

“Not yet, I have a little problem.” Red Robin began.

“What is it?”

“There’s someone in there with the bodies.” He said.

“Must be Dr. Mick’s assistant, I think I might be able to create a diversion.” Conan declared.

“Please do share.”

“Hang tight.” Conan said as a click can be heard.

“Nice.” Red Robin exclaimed knowing he’d have to wait in limbo for the time being.

Conan walked over as he pulled his bag into his arms. His phone began to ring. He looked over to see who it was.

“Looks like Haibara is still trying to contact me, I’d rather discuss matters with her in person.”
 

He continued pushing through his bag, a smirk coming to his face as he pulled it into his grasp.

“Found it.”

Conan began testing different voice level sequences on his mechanical bow tie trying to hoam in on the precise level.

“There.” Conan said out loud.

He grabbed his phone, quickly dialing the number he had in mind. Conan waited as the phone rang, holding the tie tight in hand. The next second someone answered.

“This is Dr. Mick’s office, how may I help you?”

“It’s me Mr. Zale.” Conan spoke.

“Dr. Mick...I didn’t think you would call.” Mr. Zale said.

“Special day, a special one indeed.”

“I’m sure you’ve called for a reason, what is it you need sir?” Mr. Zale asked.

“I want you to take a thirty minute break.” Conan said.

“But sir, we have to have this wrapped up by tonight.”

“Don’t sweat it, I just want you to do a clean sweep of the desks and counters.”

“Yes sir.”

“This way our clients are kept satisfied.”

He stood there waiting, waiting for his opportunity. Red Robin stood up as he saw the figure which accompanied the bodies clear the room.

“What ever Shinichi did, it worked.”

He glided down toward the street, quickly making his way to the sewer. Using the Heat Wave Sonar System through his cowl he found his way t
o the location of the bodies. He pushed up to the room where the bodies rested through a metal cage door, which happened to be clamped to the ground. He looked around to see five separate bodies laid out on five different tables.

“Got to make this quick, not sure how much time Shinichi was able to buy for me.”

Red Robin looked to see they were all cut open. A weird odor came to his attention as he reached down, placing a mini gas mask over his mouth.

“He did say something about toxins, might be safe to have this on
, nor would it hurt.”

Red Robin walked up to the first two bodies, looking them both over. He focused his attention on their insides. His eyes slightly perked up, something catching his eye.

“Their lungs are
swollen, some boldness on the edges.”

He walked around as he swiped DNA samples of the lungs
, from all five victims. Red Robin then noticed a gray substance under one of the victims finger nails.

“Just like Kudo said. I better swipe samples from
under all their nails, just in case it proves to be a viable source of information.”

Red Robin gave each of the bodies one last look. They all were consistent with rope burns to the wrists, all showed signs of exhaust to the feet, and the lungs were all balloted.

“What happened to their lungs, yet another new twist.” He thought to himself as foot steps can be heard approaching.  

Red Robin walked over lifting the cage door, dropping back into the sewer. He quietly pulled the door down, heading down the dark tunnel he had come.

“The question now posed....motive. Looks like Red Robin and Detective Conan will have their hands full, in defiant.” Tim thought to himself.  
  

To Be Continued




Converting /tmp/phpofGWvb to /dev/stdout