Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Detective Prince ❯ Dynamic Trio ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The Detective Prince
Chapter 16
Dynamic Trio

Voices raced throughout the halls. She lay in the hospital bed staring to the ceiling. The door opened a split second later.

"Hope you enjoyed your night, got you some tea just as you asked." Kogoro said walking over to her bed side.

"Thanks Dad."

Ran sat up giving him a hug then taking the hot cup into her hand. She sipped small amounts at a time.

"What exactly happened yesterday?"

"I was talking with Tim after school, we heard someone scream from a garden across from where we talked."

"Then what happened?"

"He told me to stay put, I followed anyway. We came across a small box which released a gas, everything went blank from there."

"When you awoke where were you?" Kogoro asked.

Conan pushed the door to the room open, heading over and taking a seat at one of the chairs near the corner.

“Hi Conan, how are you doing this morning?" Ran asked cheerfully.

“I'm just glad you're ok."

"What about Tim, is he alright?" Ran asked turning back to her father.

"Ran...he wasn't there. We searched the whole place, there was no sign of him." Kogoro said.

She laid back, her head touching down upon the soft pillow. A frown of displeasure coming to her face.

"I can't believe it, I trusted him."

"And this is why he should have listened to me." Conan thought to himself.

"Ran it's ok." Kogoro said reaching forward.

"No it's not ok, he promised me he'd come back!" Ran yelled sitting back up.

"Yep....boy is Tim going to get it." Conan thought to himself with a semi grin sliding across his face.

"Are you positive he was with you?" Kogoro asked.

Ran looked over giving him a good glare. Kogoro made the best out of the situation as he could.

"Let's just be happy you sent us your location, who knows what could have happened had you not." Kogoro said changing the subject.

Confusion came to her face.

"What do you mean, I never sent you a message. They took my phone."

"If you weren't the one who sent the message then who did?" Kogoro questioned not expecting a response.

Music boomed down the hall, contents on the wall swaying from side to side. The sound of stomping and laughter could not only be heard, but felt as well. The door cracked open as someone entered, slamming it behind them. He popped up from the sheets to see an unfamiliar woman dressed in a black latex suit approaching him.

“Sorry if I startled you?”

“Who are you, and where am I?”

“A hospital ofcourse, I am one of it’s many nurses.” She replied taking a seat at the side of the bed.

“This place sure dosen’t look or sound like one.”

The walls were accompanied by different types of posters, the loud music still sinking through the walls. He closed his eyes, everything slowly coming back to him. She reached over placing a hand on his chest, sliding downward.
His eyes reopened removing her hand.

“What are you doing?”

“Just trying to make you comfortable.” She replied.

“I’m fine, now if you don’t mind I’d like to be alone.”

She stepped down heading back out. He turned to observe the rest of the dark room, his side burning out in pain. He looked to see his cut had been bandaged up.

“Everything is clear now.... but where is Heiji, was he the one who brought me here?” Tim thought to himself as the door opened once more.

He looked over to see Heiji enter the room with a pile of clothes in his hands.
They looked to the other, not a word spoked.

“He’s more fit than I thought, he’s also got a lot of scars.
... I wonder where how he got them?”

“He’s studying me, just as Shinichi did.”

“I see you’re awake, hope you didn’t mind me borrowing the key to your apartment. Stopped by and picked up some clothes for you.” Heiji said tossing the clothes onto the bed.

“Where the hell did you bring me?” Tim asked.

“Sorry about all the noise, this was the most low profile place I could think of which could give you medical attention.”

“Yea no kidding, what is all that commotion anyway?”

“There’s a bar just above us.” Heiji replied.

“Talk about low scale, but you must have a good reason for bringing me here instead of a real hospital.”

A smile came to Heiji’s face, taking a step in his direction.

“I know you were with Ran when she was taken, we found blood all over her clothes. I’m betting it’s yours, so I wouldn’t try denying you were there.”

“I see....you’re a man with questions.”

“That is correct.”

“I’ll tell you what, if you give me an alibi for not being there I’ll tell you everything you want to know.” Tim proposed.

“Alibi?”

“I’m sure the police will come and question me, I want you to tell them I was with you for part of the day, which should clear me of any involvement.”

“What about Ran, she’ll know you’re lying.”

“You let me worry about her, I’m pretty precise in my calculations. So do we have a deal Heiji Hattori?”

“It’s wrong for me to even consider this, Ran is my friend.”

He walked back and forth a few feet away, thinking if he should agree to these terms.

“Why don’t you wait outside while I get dressed, hopefully your mind is made up when I come out.”

“Hold on there Drake, you’re still to weak to be walking around.” Heiji protested.

“Didn’t know our plan involved you acting as my mother, I’ll be fine.”

Heiji nodded heading over and exiting the room. He paced near the door way giving the proposition some thought. On one hand he’d find out everything he’d been looking for,on the flip side he’d be lying to the authorities. Tim walked out less then a minute later placing on his school tie.

“So Mr. Hattori, have you come to a decision?”

“You have yourself a deal.” Heiji said with slight hesitation.

“Great, I could use a guy of your status, there was only so much Conan could do for me in his state.”

“I knew it, so you and Kudo were working together all along.”

“Not at first, it took us a bit to figure eachother. I see you know Conan’s little secret as well.”

“What else should I know?” Heiji asked.

“Come, walk with me.” Tim said as they trailed down the hall.

They reached the end of the corner. Tim grabbed his wallet getting a bottle of water out of one of the machines. Heiji lead the way as they headed up the stairs, heading through the bar he had spoke of. Tim looked down at his watch checking the time.

“Looks like I have twenty minutes until class begins.”

They headed out the front door, walking down the block.

“So how much digging have you done on me?” Tim asked.

“A pretty good deal I must say, from your parents death to the program you currently have running.”

“I see....how much can I trust you Heiji?” Tim asked.

“Trust me?”

“I could really use a guy like yourself for my mission while here, I need to know if I can trust you.”

“I’ve been pretty good about Kudo’s secret, I’d say I’m pretty trust worthy.” Heiji assured.

“That’s what I wanted to hear.”

“So what is it, what do you have to tell me?”

“Follow me, all will be answered shortly detective.”

He tried calling her phone once more, no one answered. He slid the phone back into his pocket taking a seat.

“Still no answer, whoever has your phone might have been the one who sent us the message.” Kogoro said.

“I don’t really care about my phone, I just want to go home.”

“We can always get her a new one.” Conan said walking over.

“I’ll be right back, I’m going to go see how long until we can get you home.” Kogoro said sitting up heading for the door.

The two of them waited in silence. Conan jumped up next to her.

“What are you going to do when you get home?” Conan asked.

“To be honest I’m not sure.”

“You planning on going to school today?”

“I don’t even think that’s in the equation, dad would advice against it anyway.” Ran said with a smile.

Conan smiled as well.

“I’m lucky to have you, you’re one of the only guy’s who seems to be there when I need someone.” Ran said wrapping her arms around his neck, resting her chin on his head.

“I’m lucky to have you to.” Conan whispered.

The door opened once again as Kogoro entered with a smile.

“Good news, you’re clear to leave any time.”

“Great, I was hoping I wouldn’t have to spend another night here.”

“Let me swing by the house and pick you up a pair of your clothes.” Kogoro said.

“I guess I better go to, don’t want to be to late for class.” Conan said jumping down.

“Hey Conan do you mind if I borrow your phone, I promise I’ll give it back to you when you get home from school.”

Conan reached into his pocket handing Ran his phone before turning and heading out along with Kogoro.

The two of them continued walking, approaching the forest to the side of the apartment.

“Where exactly are we going again?” Heiji asked becoming a little confused.

“We’ll be there shortly, patience.”

Heiji shrugged as the two walked on. This lasted for another five minutes or so. They came to a stop as Tim pulled out a remote, he clicked down as the ground before them cracked open. Heiji’s eyes widened as Tim jumped in. He stood, frozen in place. Tim looked up at him, signaling for him to follow. After slight hesitation Heiji jumped in after him, the top shutting shortly after. The floor lights switched on, Tim continuing to lead him to their destination. He looked up as the system scanned his eyes, yet another passage way opened. They stepped into the shed, he looked over, more confused than he’d been previously.

“Well...this is it, feel free to look around.” Tim said.

“I don’t get it, is he some top secret agent or something?”

Tim walked over sitting infront of the computer, while Heiji walked over coming to a stop
facing the locker. He slowly reached forward pushing the door to the side. What he saw left him stunned. He took a step back, his head less than clear. Everything finally coming together, the pieces fitting into place.

“You’re...you’re Batman.” He finally managed to get out.

“No, but close,” He said turning in his seat. “I’m Red Robin, family and ally.”

“You’re a vigilante, I can’t believe Kudo would work with someone like you!”

“Is that what you see me as, a vigilante?” Tim asked.

“Might not be what you call it.”

“A man is measured through and defined by his actions,” Tim began standing to his feet  “Not by a word or phrase, vigilante has a meaning... a symbol, meaning and reflection.”

“So is that how your logic works Drake?” Heiji questioned.

“It’s a fact detective.”

“Your parents death must have got you all twisted up inside, vengeance has become your life.”

“Really now, since when did vengeance and justice become the same thing?” Tim asked.

The two stood in silence, looking into the others eyes. A small sense of understanding soaking in.

“A vigilante and what I do have their clear differences, just as vengeance and justice have.”

“I don’t think I fully understand where you’re coming from.” Heiji said.

Tim smiled taking a seat.

“You will.” Tim said turning back to the computer.

“So what is it you want from me?” Heiji asked.

Tim turned looking over his shoulder.

“Simple.. you get what I can not, I’ll get and go where you can not. We help eachother in more ways than you think, so what’s it going to be Heiji?”

Tim turned back to the computer, giving him time to think. Heiji took a step back leaning up against the locker, staring to the ceiling.

He walked up to the door giving it a couple knocks. Ms. Kobayashi opened the door a few seconds later.

“Conan, so good for you to join us.”

Conan walked in heading straight for his seat.

“I wonder why he’s late.” Ai thought to herself.

Conan sat down pulling out his pencil to find it rather dull. He reached into his bag pulling out his sharpener. Sumiko talked on as he began sharpening his pencil, listening. He felt the tap of a pencil from behind, turning to see Ayumi
with a friendly smile on her face.

“Why are you late to class?” She whispered.

“Looks like Ran being abducted didn’t hit the news, that saves me from needing to explain anything.” Conan thought to himself.

“I lost my glasses, spent the whole morning looking for them.” Conan quickly came up with.

“Ohhh, where were they?”

“Behind the couch.” Conan stated.

“How’d they get there?” She laughed.

“That’s a good question.”

He directed his attention back to the front of the room, listening to the lecture at hand. He knew this was going to be a long day.

The last bell rung, everyone heading for the door. As usual he was the last one, stashing his books into his bag. Tim stood up from his seat, walking out of the classroom turning the corner to see Sonoko standing at the end of the hall. He headed her way, a smile coming to her face.

“Hi Tim.”

“You were less talkative in class today, you feeling alright?”

“I’m feeling just fine.”

“So how’d your family thing go?" Tim asked.

“Oh, it went...how should I put it."Sonoko began stepping up giving him a clean smack across the face.

She walked off with a cocky smile still on her face.

“She baited me
, Ran must have called her already......they are best friends after all.”

They walked to the near park, waiting for the others. Within a minute Genta and Ai strolled over. Conan looked up from the ground as the two headed straight toward him.

“Hey Conan, why were you late to class today?” Genta asked.

“Lost my glasses, took me awhile to find them.” Conan replied.

Ai’s hands slid down to her hips, giving him that..... ‘you’re lying’ look. He had no response to this.

“On a side note, has anyone found any additional information on Black Robin?” Mitsuhiko asked.

“It’s Red Robin.” Ayumi corrected.

“I did, saw him swoop by last night.” Genta proclaimed.

“Really?!” Both Ayumi and Mitsuhiko commented at the same time.

He shook his head up and down with reassurance.

“Let me guess, he flew by your window.” Conan said with a little sarcasm.

“That’s right, his big red glowing eyes simmering down at me...sending a slippery sensation down my throat.”

Ai rolled her eyes while Ayumi and Mitsuhiko listened on with high interest. Conan stepped to the side directing his attention to the sky. Ai stepped infront of him, causing him to look over to her.

“So why were you late to class, the true edition if possible.”

“Ran was abducted yesterday, I was with her at the hospital through this morning.”

“Is she..is she going to be ok?”

“Ran will be fine, she should be at the house by now. If you want to stop by, you’re free to walk home with me.” Conan offered.

“As much as I’d like that, I’m helping with dinner tonight.”

“I’ll tell her you said hi.”

“Thanks.”

They hung around for the next hour. Conan walked home alone, twirling his pencil inbetween his fingers thinking of his partnership. He walked up the stairs heading for the front door, steadily pushing it open. Ran sat at the table along with Sonoko.

“You feeling a little better?” Conan asked heading over.

“Not one hundred percent, but I’m getting there.”

“Haibara sent her best, she wasn’t able to make it over today.”

“That’s ok, here’s your phone back.” Ran said handing it over.

Conan placed it into his pocket then looked back up.

“I heard you were in the girls bathroom with that Tim guy.” Conan said turning to Sonoko.

“We were only talking.”

“I bet, heard you were in there for over an hour.” Conan said with a dark look.

“Conan!” Ran yelled down at him.

“Kidding, it was only a joke.”

Ran continued glaring at him as Sonoko stood up from her seat.

“I convincingly ended my friendship with him today anyway, so there won’t be any more secret meetings between us.”

“How’d you do that?” Conan asked.

“The old fashioned way.” Sonoko proudly stated.

“Old fashioned way?”

“Can we just talk about something else, I really don’t want to talk about him.”

“He can’t be all that bad.” Conan said.

“Are you kidding me, he left her behind!”

“I’m sure he had a good reason for doing so.” Conan said in his defense.

“Is that so... then why is it when he approached me at school he acted like nothing had happened, you’d at least think he’d be the slightest bit concerned.” Sonoko questioned.

“Why are you defending him, aren’t you on my side?” Ran asked.

“Ofcourse I am, just saying there’s always two sides to the story.”

“I think it’s clear on his side of the story.” Sonoko said.

“I give up.”

Conan turned heading for his room. He closed the door connecting his phone to the charger. He sat up on the bed, thinking about the events of the past two weeks. Deep down he knew he had an important decision to make. He spent the rest of the day in his room writing up a paper for school. The clouds filled the sky, making it a rather bleak and damp. Without really realizing it night came. Conan finished up, walking over to his phone to find it fully charged.

“Looks like I’ve made my decision, better go over and let him know.”

Conan grabbed his phone as he headed into the hall. He walked by to see Kogoro asleep infront of the TV. Ran was in her room, listening to something on the radio. Conan gently opened the front door, stepping out with a small gulp.

“Made it.” Conan thought to himself quietly closing the door behind him.

Within the next forty minutes he found himself standing infront of the door. He knocked twice with the door opening not long after.


“Conan, what are you doing here?” Tim asked.

“We need to talk.”

“Why didn’t you just call, isn’t it past your curfew?”

“Thought it’d be better if we talked in person, it’s important.” Conan said.

“Come on in.” Tim said pushing the door open.

Conan headed to the bed taking a seat. Tim walked to the chair sitting infront of the computer.

“What happened between you and Sonoko at school today?”

Tim smiled.

“Don’t tell me you came all the way here just to ask me that.”

“Not quite, just curious.”

“Just a few exchanged words and a slap.” Tim answered.

Conan laughed at this. Tim shook his head from side to side.

“Mind telling me why you really came here?”

“First I’d like to thank you for all your help, but.” Conan said as Tim’s phone began ringing.

He looked down to see who it was.

“Hold on one second, I have to take this.”

He stood up from the chair heading out onto the balcony. Conan sat in silence. Nearly five minutes went by, the sound of thunder singing in the distance. Tim walked back in sliding the door shut behind him.

“You’re wet.”

“Guess I got caught up in the drizzle.”

“Who were you talking with?” Conan asked.

“Cass, she just updated me on a few things I had her check up on.”

“Who’s Cass?”

“Cassandra Cain.” Tim said.

“Cassandra huh....is she a woman of interest, I mean you did take that call out there in the rain. Not many guys would do that unless it’s someone special.”

“You’re analyzing way to much into this Shinichi.....why don’t you just tell me what you wanted to talk to me about.” Tim said with a small laugh.

The humor dropped from his face. This alerted him Conan had something serious to tell him.

“As much as I enjoyed our time together, I’m going to have to call it quits.”

“I see..”

“Lying to Ran and my friends has gotten a little out of control, I hope you understand.” Conan said.

“I do, stay safe out there Conan......maybe we’ll solve another case together someday.” Tim said directing his attention back to the computer.

“Sure thing....”

Conan turned to head for the door, neither saying a word.

“So that’s it huh, he didn’t
even seem to care all that much, I wonder why?”

As Conan came within a few feet of the door a knock can be heard coming from the other side. He froze in place, another knock pressing up against the door.

“The doors unlocked.” Tim informed.

“What is he thinking, he didn’t even give me a chance to hide!” Conan thought to himself.

Conan watched as the knob slowly turned, the door cracking open as someone stepped in.

“Heiji!” Conan exclaimed.

“Hey Drake, you never said Kudo would be here.”

“Didn’t know he would, he just showed up, ending our partnership.” Tim said.

“End it, we were just about to get started.”

Conan looked from Tim to Heiji, lost for words.

“Wait a minute, time out. What exactly is going on here?” Conan asked.

“I’m working with Tim now, or Red Robin depending on how you look at it.” Heiji said.

“You told him?” Conan asked flashing his attention over toward Tim.

He stood up from the chair taking a deep breath, releasing with the same flow.

“Yea, it was time he knew.”

“When did you plan on telling me, either of you for that matter?” Conan asked looking from one to the other.

“You kind of quit before I could.” Tim stated.

“I tried calling, but Ran answered and said she was temporarily using your phone.” Heiji added.

Conan stood in thought, the rain pouring down harder than before. Thunder can be heard, lighting bringing the sky to life. He felt a hand come to his shoulder, gentle yet strong.

“Go home to Ran, she needs you.” Heiji said.

“What about you?” Conan asked.

“I’m intrigued by what he’s proposed, if we need your help with anything we’ll call.”

“O...ok.” Conan softly spoke.

He headed out, looking back to see Heiji head over next to Tim just before the door shut. He turned, walking down the hall. Conan reached up pressing the button for the elevator. He stood there, every second with the sound of a tick clicking in the back of his mind. The elevator arrived shortly after, he stared into the empty space, not moving a muscle. He closed his eyes for a brief period. When they reopened it was clear where his path would lead him next.

“As they say, your first answer or decision you choose
when taking a test tends to be the right call.”

Conan turned heading back down the hall, pushing the door to the room open.

“So guy’s, what’s on the agenda?” Conan asked.

The two looked over, not to surprised at all.

“I expected you back, just not this soon. Care to fill him in Heiji?”

“There was just a murder about a mile from here, the weapon used was that of a knife.”

“Any known suspects?” Conan asked.

“He chased after one just last night, the guy had tatts present on the back of his neck.” Tim stated.

“A capital ‘L’ to the left, a tiger emblem in the center, and a sideways ‘W’ to the right.” Heiji added.

Conan placed a hand under his chin, thinking of all the possibilities this could mean.

“How did he escape?” Conan asked.

“A purple van.” Heiji informed.

“Did you guy’s check the escape route?”

“The police did, but I’m going to go give it an additional look myself.” Tim said.

“What about the tattoos?”

“I’m thinking it might be gang related. If that indeed is the case, let’s just hope there isn’t an uproar of violence from yesterdays event.” Tim said.

The storm continued on, the three of them stood in place, listening. It was almost like a stimulus, relaxing the mind from all that surrounded them. Tim slowly extended his hand out. Conan and Heiji both quickly became confused by this.

“I don’t think we quite understand.” Heiji said.

“Evil may lurk through the dark, but justice will prevail by dawn......together til the day death consumes us.”

Heiji placed his hand on top of Tims, understanding what he meant.

“Don’t know about his extreamly corny oath, but...”
Conan thought to himself.

Conan reached over placing his hand over Heiji’s.

“Then it’s settled detectives, we’re a team.”

They removed their hands from one another as Tim walked over grabbing a phone from the top of the TV.

“Heiji if you don’t mind me asking, could you take Ran’s phone back to her?” Tim asked handing him the phone.

“Why me, can’t Kudo do it?”

“I’m good with my calculating, it’d be best if you did it. Just make sure you wait until tommarrow.” Tim said.

“What am I supposed to tell her?” Heiji asked.

“Just say you found it in the grass near that warehouse, she’ll believe you.”

“Like hell she will, that dosen’t explain who made the call to me and her father.”

“If you’ve got something better than be my guest.” Tim remarked back.

Conan watched on as the two of them continued arguing. He couldn’t help but be humored by this.

“So this is our team huh.....criminals beware.”

To Be Continued


Converting /tmp/php1FvfXT to /dev/stdout