Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Detective Prince ❯ Two Birds of A Feather ( Chapter 37 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Detective Prince
Chapter 37
Two Birds of A Feather

The walk to school that morning proved to be most refreshing, allowing for him to sort his thoughts which seemed to be all over the place. Conan was one of the first to class that morning, heading straight to his desk. He pulled a pencil from his bag, fiddling with it in between his fingers to help pass the time.

"I wonder if Haibara was able to find out the name of that other company involved with the merger."

One by one the rest of his classmates made their way in, Conan keeping to his thoughts as they did. He could see the smile to her face, taking to the seat behind him.

"Conan did you see what happened last night?" Ayumi asked.

"Do you mean the chase?"

"It was great seeing Kaitou Kid and Red Robin working together," Ayumi stated. "I was cheering for them to get away the whole time."

"As was I." Conan said.

"That must confirm Kaitou Kid wasn't responsible for the shooting," Ayumi said. "Red Robin is a good guy, I doubt he'd team with a killer."

"True," Conan agreed. "But then we don't really know what brought the two of them together in the first place."

"I guess you're right."

He turned back to face the front with the motion of his pencil coming to stop. The rest of their classmates piled in within the next minute, everyone ready to get Friday underway.

"Tim never answered his phone last night, even after their little run from the law," Conan thought. "I'm betting he had a good reason why he didn't."

He looked to Ai who sat facing front, opening her journal to jot down the instructions listed to the board.

"Let's hope Haibara has a name," Conan thought turning to the board. "The more we know, the better."

Being to the halls was as crowded as any other day. Tim pushed his way through, still exhausted from last nights occasions.

"First class of the day," Tim said with a deep breath. "How I've been looking forward to this."

Tim arrived to class to find everyone scattered about, only a few already to their seats. He did the same, opening his bag to layout all he needed for class. Just as he sat back in his chair he felt a tap to his shoulder, looking to find Airi standing over him.

"Tim did you catch that chase of Kaitou Kid last night," Airi asked. "One of the wildest things I've seen, wish I could have been there in person."

"Was a little busy last night, so I didn't see it," Tim replied. "Though I did catch a glimpse of it on the morning news."

"Who do you think that other guy was?"

"What do you mean?" Tim questioned.

"The masked man who was with him of course." Airi answered.

"They say his names Red Robin," Sonoko said joining the two. "I'm betting he's Kid's sidekick or something."

"Sidekick." Tim remarked turning to her.

"Why not," Sonoko said. "He's a very influential guy, it was only a matter of time before he took someone under his cape."

"Wow Sonoko, I never thought of it that way." Airi said. "But wasn't he that guy the police have been looking for, for a couple days now?"

"I believe so."

Tim directed his attention back to the front of the room, opening his book to where they had left off the previous day.

"Sidekick huh," Tim thought with a smile. "And here I thought I was my own man finally."

Mrs. V came through the door in the following minute, those still standing quickly taking to their seats.

"The first thing I need to do when I get back to the apartment is to enhance that footage," Tim thought to himself. "If all goes as I think it will, we should know what was written to that sheet of paper Chianti and Freil passed around."

Without paying much attention to the time, the final bell of the day hit. It had seemed to fly by. Maybe it was the fact it was a Friday. She had been the first of her friends to arrive to the front of the school, Conan being the second.

"You're usually the first out." Ai said as he stopped in front of her.

"Got stuck in traffic," Conan stated. "So were you able to find out the name of the corporation you overheard those men speak of?"

"Not yet," Ai replied. "Whatever is going on must be under tight wraps, I found nothing on any kind of merger."

"That puts us straight back at square one," Conan said. "Guess we'll see what Tim was able to find out."

"You had Tim look into this as well?"

"Not exactly, he did this in his own regard," Conan replied. "After Tim heard what happened to us he decided to go to a press conference which was held yesterday just outside the building."

"So I take it you haven't talked to him since?"

Conan nodded.

"He must have been busy last night," Conan said. "I tried contacting him a few times."

"What are you expecting to hear?"

"I don't know," Conan responded. "Something that could possibly shed some light on this whole ordeal."

The two of them then turned to see the rest of the Detective Boys heading their way.

"I guess we'll discuss this later." Conan said.

"I'll keep searching," Ai agreed. "In the mean time you should go and find out what your new friend may have learned from that conference."

"Will do." Conan said as the others joined them.

"Finally," Genta said looking to the sky. "The weekend has arrived."

"What do you guys want to do?" Mitsuhiko asked.

"We could go see a movie." Ayumi suggested.

"That sounds like a good idea to me," Genta said turning to the others. "What do you guys think?"

"I don't see why not," Mitsuhiko said. "But what should we go see?"

"That's a good question." Genta said giving it some thought.

The five of them resulted to walking from the school grounds, making their way up the street.

"What do you think Conan," Ayumi asked. "What would you like to go see?"

"It depends on what's playing," Conan replied. "I'll have a look in the paper when I get home."

"We'll all check," Genta said. "There's got to be something we can all enjoy."

"Then it's settled," Conan said. "We'll meet tomorrow and decide on what we'll see."

The halls were nearly empty by this time. Just like most other days, Tim was one of the last to leave the building. He was surprised to see her waiting to the wall once exiting through the front entrance.

"Sonoko what are you still doing here," Tim asked. "You're usually long gone by the time I get out."

"Who says I was waiting for you?"

"You have a point," Tim said turning away. "I guess I just assumed."

He headed toward the street at his regular pace, hearing the sound of someone running up to the side of him.

"I thought you said you weren't waiting for me." Tim said looking to find Sonoko.

"I never said that," Sonoko stated. "You just assumed that if I recall."

"So why is it you waited for me, did you have something to ask?"

"It's about Ran."

"What's wrong," Tim questioned. "Is she ok?"

"That's what I'm trying to figure," Sonoko replied. "It seems like something is bothering her."

"I don't know Sonoko," Tim said. "She seemed ok to me."

"I know Ran better than most," Sonoko stated. "There's defiantly something on her mind."

"Well if you feel that way, why don't you just try talking to her," Tim questioned. "It's a idea than this speculation circle you've got going."

"Of course I've gone to her about it," Sonoko informed. "She keeps denying that anything is wrong."

"That's all good and said," Tim stated resting his hands to his pocket. "But why now are you coming to me about all this?"

"Without Shinichi being around much, I thought I'd ask you to try talking to her."

"Why bother," Tim said. "If she wont tell her best friend, what makes you think she'll tell me?"

"Why did I even bother," Sonoko said turning away. "Just forget it, it's probably nothing anyway."

They found themselves walking in opposite directions, neither looking back to face the other.

"That didn't go to well."

Tim arrived back to the apartment, heading straight for the elevator. His phone began to ring once in, pulling it out to find a surprise call. He answered it, a conversation ensuing on his way to the room. He turned the corner to see Conan standing to the side of his door. He unlocked it, allowing for the two of them to walk in. Conan took a seat to the end of the bed, waiting for him to finish his phone conversation which lasted for about another minute.

"I heard you mention Sonoko," Conan said. "Is that who you were talking to?"

"No, it's just someone I'm supposed to meet down in Fukuoka next week some time."

"Friend of yours?"

"I guess you could say that," Tim replied. "Though we've never actually met."

"Before I forget," Conan said releasing his bag from his shoulders. "Heiji called just a few minutes ago."

"Is that so," Tim said. "What did he say?"

"He wants you to meet him in Osaka as soon as you can," Conan replied. "He said something about having a lead on something."

"You plan on going with me?"  

"Sure, I'll just check with Ran first."

"Speaking of which," Tim said sitting to the chair. "According to Sonoko, Ran hasn't been feeling all to good."

"Is she sick?" Conan asked.

"Sounds more like she has something on her mind," Tim answered. "You should try talking to her."

"I see."

There was a long pause between the two. He could feel something was wrong, but what could it be.

"Is everything ok Kudo," Tim asked. "Anything you need to get off your chest?"

"...I'm fine," Conan said assuringly. "So how'd that conference go, were you able to find out anything?"

"Not much, but we do know who runs the place," Tim stated. "Bondo Salvonte."

"Now that was unexpected," Conan said. "Did you get a chance to talk with him?"

"Went for a ride with him after his little speech was over," Tim confirmed. "From the way he talked I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't know what was going on."

"So you don't think he had anything to do with what was going on?"

"Don't know," Tim replied. "They've had a few breaches in their system, Bondo believes there is someone within the company running their own little operation."

"That's a twist," Conan said. "Should be fun figuring out who it is, if that truly is the case."

Tim turned to the desk, flipping the computer up with the tap of the power.

"What about Ai," Tim asked. "Have you talked with her yet?"

"She doesn't remember much," Conan stated. "But she did overhear something about a merger between the two companies."

"A merger huh," Tim said becoming interested. "So what's the name of this other company?"

"She hasn't been able to find out yet," Conan replied. "But she's still looking."

"We have a lot to do, so we better get started." Tim said sitting up.

"So what happened between you and Kaitou Kid?"

"It's a very complex situation."

He headed over to the drawers, packing a small margin of things he'd need for the coming hours. Once finished he looked back to Conan who laid square to his back.

"What are you doing Shinichi," Tim asked. "Aren't you going to call and ask Ran if you can tag along?"

"I changed my mind," Conan said sitting up. "I've decided to stay here, besides he's coming back with you."

"He is?"

"That's what he said." Conan stated.

"What do you plan on doing in the mean time?"

"I'll head over to Agasa's," Conan answered. "Once we have a name on that other company I'll let you know."

"Sounds good to me."

He finished the last of his packing, dressing into something more casual before the two headed out the room. Tim reached for his phone as they walked, calling him right on the spot.

"Heiji I'm on my way."

"That was quick, didn't expect you to come so quickly."

"You're the one who said as soon as possible remember," Tim stated. "So where am I supposed to meet you?"

"I'll be at the station waiting for you," Heiji replied. "No way we'll miss each other."

"See you then."

He hung up with those final words, the two of them stepping from the elevator down into the lobby.

"What do you think this lead he found is all about?"

Conan shrugged.

"Your guess is good as mine," Conan said. "Why didn't you just ask him when you were on the phone?"

"Good question."

They continued on through the front entrance, coming to a stop once reaching the sidewalk.

"This is where we split paths," Tim said. "See you soon, most likely tomorrow."

"That's what I was thinking," Conan said. "Try not to let Heiji take you guys off the case at hand, it doesn't happen much but he can get a little side tracked from little things here and there."

"Thanks for the heads up," Tim said. "I'll keep that in mind."

Conan took to the right with Tim going to the left. It wasn't to far of a walk from where he was, arriving to the train station within thirty minutes. He paid for a ticket, taking to the line where everyone waited.

"This should be a rather long ride," Tim thought to himself. "The question now becomes, what to do within that time."

Once making it into the train he took to the back, finding himself an empty seat. Five minutes into the ride he could feel it, resting his head back in comfort.

"This is going to be longer than I thought."

Hours had passed, the search still in full affect. He stood to the chair beside her, looking to see if they were any closer to gaining additional information on what they already knew. The door bell rang loud and clear, shattering the silence of the house.

"I'll get it." Hiroshi said heading for the door.

He opened it, looking down to see Conan standing before him.

"Come right on in," Hiroshi said stepping to the side. "We've been expecting you."

"Would have been here sooner," Conan explained. "Got caught up in a few things, but I'm here now."

The two walked over to the computer, Ai glimpsing back as they approached.

"Find anything yet?" Conan asked.

"Not yet," Ai replied looking to the screen. "But I'm still looking."

"I went through a few files myself," Hiroshi stated. "I wasn't able to find anything either."

"We have to keep looking," Conan said. "There's got to be something, unless those men had no idea what they were talking about."

"They sounded pretty positive, desperate even." Ai said.

"Desperate," Conan questioned. "What do you mean by that?"

"The way they talked," Ai replied. "It sounded like they were in a hurry, almost like they were on some kind of deadline."

Conan brought a hand to his chin. What could that mean? He began walking from side to side, trying to make meaning out of what was given.

"What are you thinking Shinichi?" Dr Agasa asked.

"I don't know," Conan replied. "What if they were trying to make or construct something."

"What do you mean?" Hiroshi asked.

"The merger, a deadline possibility even," Conan said. "Maybe they were trying to make something to match their competitors, and with time coming to a close on their business they might be forced to a merger."

"That's a bit of a stretch don't you think?" Dr Agasa questioned.

"True, but I'm just going off of what we know," Conan said. "I'm not saying it's the case, just a possibility."

"If we can find the name of this other company, we should have all the answers we need." Ai said.

"Then let's keep looking." Conan said joining to the left side of her.

It had been a long one, just as he expected. The sound of the train coming to a stop awoke him from his nap, tossing his bag to his shoulders. He made his way out, looking in all directions as those around passed by.

"Now where could he be."

With that thought he felt a hand lay to his right shoulder, turning to be greeted by Heiji.

"Glad you could make it on such short notice," Heiji said. "Right this way, and try not to get lost."

"What is that meter over there," Tim asked noticing something pinned to the wall with a frequent level change. "What exactly is that thing measuring, the temperature?"

"Good guess, but no," Heiji replied. "It actually measures the pace everyone is moving at,"

"Interesting, I wonder why they'd make something like that."

"I could find out for you if you'd like," Heiji said. "We have them at our airports to."

"Let me guess, you can see the speeds of the planes before take off?"

"That's correct," Heiji confirmed. "But enough about that, let's get going."

"Whatever you say captain."

He followed him up a fleet of stairs, looking to the night sky as the two continued to walk for minutes to come. The noise level drastically dropped once making it to the road way, Tim catching up while taking to the side of him.

"I'm surprised Kudo didn't come with you," Heiji said. "What happened, was he to busy?"

"He's actually looking into something else," Tim replied. "So what was so important that you wanted me to come all the way here?"

Heiji reached into his back pocket, pulling a folded folder out. He unrolled it, reaching in to reveal a few pictures.

"What happened here," Tim asked taking the freighting images in hand. "Was this gang related?"

"One witness was present," Heiji informed. "They were able to get a shot of one of the men leaving the scene."

Heiji held out the picture.

"See that," Heiji pointed to the back of the neck. "That's the same sideways 'w' Ryo had to the back of his neck."

"That must mean the Black Yangs were involved," Tim said. "How far from here did this happen?"

"About two miles," Heiji replied handing him the image. "Using your little handy dandy computer I'm pretty sure you can enhance that."

"With any luck we might be able to make meaning out of these markings." Tim said accepting it.

He slid the image into his bag, zipping it shut once done.

"That can't be all you called me here for," Tim said. "You could have brought that down to Tokyo, or sent it through an email even."

Heiji laughed, pivoting the position of his hat as he did.

"I guess you have a point," Heiji said with another laugh. "I mainly asked you here so I could show you around."

Tim shook his head from side to side, a slight smile coming to him.

"And this is exactly what Kudo was talking about."

"Come on Drake," Heiji said with the signal of his hand. "I know some places you'd find most interesting."

"Your kind of interesting or my kind?" Tim asked.

"A little of both," Heiji replied. "Come on, we don't have all night."

"This better not be some senior chess club meeting." Tim joked as they walked once more.

They caught a cab shortly there after, Heiji pointing out many different things as they drove. Many activities took place along the sides of the street, even passing by a few live events. Tim looked to him as they drove through a dark tunnel, seeing that eased look in his eyes.

"I never really thought about it up until this point," Tim thought. "Besides Damian, Heiji is the only other person to address me by Drake..... and you know, I don't mind it."

The cab came to a stop after another few minutes of driving, the two stepping out in the following seconds. He looked to the building before him, knowing exactly where they were.

"The police department," Tim said turning to Heiji. "What are we doing here?"

"Don't worry, this won't take long," Heiji stated. "There's someone I want you to meet, and knowing him he should still be here."

Tim followed him through the front doors, walking through to see many closing up for the night. Heiji received a few side comments on their way, arriving to his office door a short time later. Heiji gave it a few knocks, taking a step back after doing so.

"The doors unlocked." A voice spoke from the other side.

With the ok the two walked in, coming to a stop in front of his desk.

"Tim, this is Hattori Heizo," Heiji introduced. "My father."

"Nice to meet you." Tim said holding out his hand.

"You must be Drake," Heizo said shaking it. "My son has mentioned you a few times, I hope you've been staying out of trouble."

"Of course sir," Tim said. "And if I were Heiji would be on it in no time."

"How much longer do you plan on staying here?" Heiji asked.  

"Maybe another hour or so," Heizo replied. "I have a few things to sort through."

"Does mom know you're working late?"

"I've been working late for the past few days now," Heizo stated. "She's accustomed to it now, especially given the situation at hand."

"What's wrong," Heiji asked noticing the change in tone. "Did something else happen?" Heiji asked.

Tim took a few steps back, turning for the door as he did.

"I'll let the two of you talk," Tim said. "Heiji I'll meet you outside."

"Join you soon."

With that he exited the room, walking back through the front doors where he waited. Tim leaned to the side of the wall, looking to the sky to see if he could single out the brightest star. He quickly found himself in somewhat of a trance, his mind more rested than it had been all day. Minutes passed as he waited. The sound of a whistle snapped him back to where he stood, looking to see Heiji heading his way.

"Sorry about that little delay," Heiji apologized. "Just had to go over a few things in there."

"What were the two of you discussing?" Tim asked.

"Just a little update on the guys we're dealing with," Heiji replied. "Similar violence has been noted from here, all the way up to Akita."

"These guys really do get around."

"There attacks have increased in the past week," Heiji said. "It was never this bad before, it's almost as if something triggered them."

He could see the look in his eyes, knowing exactly what he was thinking.

"You're not implying this has something to do with me are you?" Tim asked.

"They've already seen you going after the Outworlders," Heiji said. "They must figure you'll come after them next, the attacks are their way of daring you to come."

"Anything else you want to add?"

"I think now would be the perfect time for you to call in one of your allies," Heiji answered. "Things are only going to get worse from here on out."

"Like I said before, there is much going on back home," Tim stated. "If I felt it wasn't something we couldn't handle I'd have made the call right on the spot."

There was no use in arguing it. His mind had been made, and there was no changing it.

The time continued to click away, and still they had no name to the company they hoped to find. He sat to the couch with his head rested back, something coming to mind. Conan jumped down, heading back to the computer.

"Haibara do you have anything yet?"

"I've looked everywhere," Ai replied turning to him. "There's just nothing here mentioning a merger."

"Maybe it's just because we're not being flexible enough."

"Shinichi what are you suggesting?" Hiroshi asked.

"Let's start from the ground up," Conan said. "Check to see if anyone has been funding them and vice versa, any ongoing activity between them and any other large company."

Ai did as he said. Both Conan and Hiroshi stood in wait, minutes passing before she looked back to the two.

"Did you find something?" Hiroshi asked.

"Out of all the searches I was only able to find one result," Ai said. "It seems this is the only company doing business with the one we were held captive."

"Where's it located," Hiroshi asked. "Is it around here?"

"No, far from it," Ai replied. "It's located in New Troy, Metropolis."

"What's the name of the company?" Conan asked.

"LexCorp," Ai replied. "The organization being run by a man named Lex Luthor."

"This must be the company you heard them mention," Conan said. "Maybe there are talks of a merger, but not something completely set in stone."

"I guess that's a wait and see situation." Hiroshi said.

Conan looked to his watch, almost forgetting how late it was getting.

"I better get going," Conan said. "I'll be back some time tomorrow, we'll figure out what to do next from there."

"I'll walk you to the door."

Conan made his way over, accompanied by Dr. Agasa who walked by his side. He slid his shoes into place, opening the door while waving on his way out.

"Be careful on your way home."

"Don't worry, I've got my eyes pealed."

The door closed from there, Conan dropping his hands to his side as he walked. Though they had learned the name of the company, he felt they had gained no further ground from where they had been.

"He's probably busy right now, but come tomorrow I'll ask Tim what he knows about this LexCorp," Conan thought to himself. "And Lex Luthor for that matter, I'm sure he must know something."

They had made their sixth stop, walking into a coffee shop for a late run. Tim sat across from him, reading through the paper that lay to the table. Heiji took a sip from the mug, looking out the window to the roadway.

"Hey Drake, can I ask you something?"

"Go right on ahead." Tim replied continuing to flip through.

"What do you like to do for fun?"

He set the paper down, giving what he asked a moments thought.

"Well besides computer work, I love to come up with new ideas," Tim began. "I have a few gadgets I've been working on back at home, I'm sure you'd love to see them once I've finished."

"..Ok."

"Besides that I try and keep up with my staff training," Tim continued."To be proficient at what you do, training is always a big part of that."

"That's nice and all," Heiji said. "But I was actually wondering if there's anything you like to do that doesn't relate to your night life."

"Oh," Tim said sitting back with the grab of the paper. "Why didn't you just say so?"

"I guess that's my fault for not clarifying."

Heiji sat back as well, nearly a minute passing as he waited for an answer.

"Let me guess," Heiji said sitting up "You don't have anything you like to do outside of your carrier, do you?"

"Hold on a sec, I'm still thinking."

"With the way things are going we could be sitting here all night."

Heiji laughed as he felt someone take a seat beside him. Tim seeing who it was raised the paper over his eyes.

"Kazuha," Heiji exclaimed. "What are you doing here?"

"I've been trying to contact you all day," Kazuha snapped. "You've been ignoring me, haven't you?!"

"I was busy," Heiji replied. "So many cases to look into."

"That doesn't mean you can't answer your phone once in awhile," Kazuha said turning with the snatch of the paper from his hand. "And I don't know who you think you're hiding from, because you're sure not fooling me."

"I wasn't hiding from anyone," Tim said with a smile. "The print was rather small, so I had to bring it in."

"How come you haven't been answering my calls," Kazuha asked pushing toward him. "I thought you said you'd call if you were ever down in Osaka."

"I was goanna call," Tim stated. "I swear."

"Me too," Heiji added. "It's just that my phone was dead."

"Is that so," Kazuha said turning to him. "Let me see your phone."

"I... left it at home," Heiji came up with.

"Fine, then I guess you don't mind me checking your pockets."

"Go right on ahead."

Heiji reached his hand around Kazuha as she searched, dropping his phone to the table while sliding it across. Tim took the phone into his hand, shaking his head as he slipped it into his pocket. She sat up once cleared, looking back to Tim who did his best to keep a straight face.

"Ok then smart guy," Kazuha said. "What were you going to call me about?"

"Heiji and I plan on heading back to Tokyo in the morning," Tim replied. "I was wondering if you'd come along, we can do anything you want when we get there."

"Does that mean you'll go shopping with me?"

"Of course, Heiji and I would love that," Tim replied. "We can even invite the others."

"So this whole thing was supposed to be a surprise," Kazuha said sitting up from the table. "I'm going to go pack, I'll see the two of you in the morning."

"See you then." Tim said as she walked off.

He then turned to Heiji who glared over at him.

"What?"

"All I asked was for you to get one of your guys to help out, but no," Heiji stated. "But when it comes to Kazuha and her mystery mystical powers you can't help but suck up, and to make matters worse you said I'll go shopping to."

"Relax Heiji, I'm already planning our way out of this," Tim said tossing him his phone back to him. "Don't worry about a thing."

"When it comes to you, worrying comes with the slip."

"I'm just curious," Tim said as they stepped up from the table. "How did she know we were here anyway?"

"This is one of my favorite spots to hang," Heiji replied. "If anyone were looking for me this would be one of the first places to come."

"That would explain."

"So where do you plan on staying tonight?" Heiji asked.

"On my way back to Tokyo." Tim replied.

"I thought you said you weren't leaving until the morning."

"I guess I kinda lied," Tim said. "Besides, I'm sure you and Kazuha have many topics you can discuss on the way."

"You're to much."

"Better than to little," Tim said as they stepped out from the coffee shop. "Bring your A game, we're going to need it."

"You don't have to tell me," Heiji said. "You just better keep your end of the deal and get us out of a shopping spree tomorrow."

"Deal."

Things had finally calmed down to their comfort level. They had usually met sooner than this, but given the fact who they were dealing with extra precautions were taken. A knock came to the door, followed by two quick ones confirming their code. He opened the door to allow the two of them in.

"Where's Gin?" Chianti asked as the door closed behind them.

He stepped from the shadows of the room, joining the three of them.

"I see Mr. Craig is still alive," Gin said. "From your brief message you sent Chianti, I'd say you ran into a little trouble."

"It was Red Robin." Korn answered.

"That would explain that chase I saw on the TV," Vodka said. "Even the police couldn't bring him down."

"What happened?" Gin asked.

"He confronted me in the womens bathroom, knocking me unconscious," Chianti replied. "When I awoke I was hanging upside down."

"What is this, some kind of game to him?" Vodka questioned.

"It was strange." Chianti said.

"Strange," Gin questioned. "What do you mean?"

"The way he talked to me," Chianti replied. "It's like he knew me, all of us for that matter."

"Like he knew us?"

"He dressed as you in an effort to full me," Chianti replied. "It seems he may know us, but even with that mask... I don't believe I've ever met him."

"Now he's disguising himself as us," Vodka stomped. "This guy has a lot of nerve."

"I want him for myself," Chianti stated. "I'm going to put one right through his head."

"Your ego is what got you caught in the first place," Gin said. "I think it's time we alerted everyone else about this... problem."

"I've had enough!"

Vodka stormed out, leaving the three of them looking to one another. Gin followed after him, stepping to the side of him as they exited the broke down motel.

"Something's been on your mind, I think it's time you told me."

Vodka stopped, staring to the ground. They both knew what was on his mind,but there was something he had held back after the second encounter.

"It's what Chianti said," Vodka began. "About him knowing who we are."

"What are you trying to say," Gin asked. "If you're thinking he could be Akai, then drop it, there's no way.."

"That was my first thought as well," Vodka said. "But if it were Akai he'd have probably tried killing us by now, but this Red Robin guy seems to have some code that goes against that."

"Well if it's not Akai, then who?"

"It all adds up, no body, the poison having no affect on him," Vodka said. "The way he's been able to play around us, the only detective that had knowledge of us.... it has to be Kudo Shinichi."

"You're crazy." Gin said.  

"Think about it Gin," Vodka continued. "No one's seen the guy, he's been out there training, waiting until he was prepared enough to challenge us."

"That's insane, no one could get that good in such a short amount of time."

"No one but that detective it seems," Vodka said. "It's the only thing that makes sense, it has to be him."

Gin turned away, he didn't want to believe it. But the more he thought about it, the more sense it made. The question now became, where to find him. He looked back to Vodka who still held his stance.

"So what do you think?"

"It's a stretch, but one we have to take into account," Gin said turning to walk.

"This time we'll finish the job." Vodka said walking along side him.

"It seems we may have our masked bird locked in," Gin stated. "Shinichi Kudo will meet his end come the end of the week."

The sun shined bright upon him, his eyes slowly opening at the sight. The door to the room cracked open, Conan looking over to see Ran standing in the doorway.

"You sure slept in," Ran said looking to the clock which read ten after eleven. "I'm going to the mall, would you like to come?"

He pushed up, taking a couple seconds to think it over.

"Heiji's going to be there," Ran said tipping the scale. "He and Kazuha got on a train early this morning."

"What time are they going to be up there?" Conan asked.

"We're supposed to meet anytime between one and two." Ran replied.

"You can count me in."

Conan dressed quickly there after, dropping a cap to the top of his head. They left the house within the next hour, Sonoko meeting up with them on their way there. Conan tried calling Tim, not receiving a response. He just assumed he was busy, paying little attention to it.

"Where are we supposed to meet them?" Sonoko asked.

"At the fountain." Ran replied.

Conan trotted close behind with his hands to his pocket, his mind to LexCorp. He was anxious to find out what kind of company it was. Once to the fountain they had a seat to one of the benches, watching as those near them continued to walk. Sonoko looked to Ran who remained quiet. She decided not to say anything, at least not yet. He looked over noticing a strange man in a Yankees cap staring over to them. Conan narrowed his eyes at this.

"What's that guys problem?"

In the next few seconds they were joined by both Heiji and Kazuha. Ran looked to her watch in surprise.

"Wow, I didn't expect the two of you this quick." Ran stated.

"Where's Tim?" Kazuha asked noticing he was not present.

"I didn't know he was coming." Ran said.

"No worries there," Heiji said. "I already left him a message on his phone where to meet us."

The two of them sat down as well, joining the three at the table. Heiji looked to Conan who looked back in return.

"Don't worry Kudo," Heiji whispered. "Tim said he has a plan to get us out of this shopping stuff."

"Why do I get the feeling that means he's just not going to show?" Conan thought to himself.

They continued to wait, five minutes turning into fifteen.

"He's not coming, is he?" Heiji asked not expecting an answer.

"I could have told you that." Conan said.

"Ran do you see that guy over there," Sonoko pointed. "He's been staring over at you for the past ten minutes."

Everyone looked over. It was the same guy Conan had noticed when they had first arrived. Heiji laughed at this.

"What's the big deal," Heiji asked. "What guy doesn't find his eyes wondering to Ran, it's probably nothing to worry about."

"What's that supposed to mean," Kazuha asked. "Are you saying you can't keep your eyes off of her either?"

"That's not true," Heiji said. "You're taking things out of context."

"How so?"

Ran couldn't help but laugh at this. Conan kept his eyes to the man in the corner, watching his every move.

"Why is he watching us, unless..."

He turned to the other side, looking to find a man holding a large black bag standing to the opposite wall.

"That's what it is," Conan thought. "He wasn't watching us, he watching whoever this guy is."

Conan continued his look out, watching as someone joined the man holding the black bag. They talked for over a minute or so, the man holding the bag opening it to reveal what was inside.

"As you can see it's all there."

"It's to bad you were late getting it to us."

"What do you mean?"

He grabbed the bag from his hand, pulling a gun from his jacket, while firing two rounds as he took off. The others sitting to the table were alerted by the gun fire. Ran jumped up from her seat, immediately chasing after him.

"Ran don't do it!" Sonoko yelled chasing after her.

Conan did the same, hoping he could get a clean shot using his stun gun. He turned at the sound of them pursuing him, looking back with the aim of his gun. Ran froze, the gun pointing straight to her. His finger touched down upon the trigger. There was no way he'd get to her in time.

"Ran!!"

The sound of the shot went off, Conan feeling someone zip past him. Ran fell stiff, feeling her body lifted upward with Sonoko being kicked to the ground all in one motion. The bullets flew by as they safely fell to the ground.

"It's him, the man in the baseball cap!"

He flipped back to his feet, kicking the tray a waitress held in her hand next to him into his possession. Thinking quickly he used it as a Frisbee, knocking the gunmen over the head as he ran.

"Stay down." He instructed to both Sonoko and Ran.

Conan watched as he raced over. The gunmen quickly got back to his feet ,swinging a knife at him. The man in the cap fell backward catching balance on one hand with the extention of his foot knocking the gunmen to the ground. This time he didn't get up.

"Wow, this guys good." Heiji said stepping up beside Conan.

"Extremely." Conan added. "He just defied what any normal man shouldn't be able to do."

"He's quick, maybe even quicker than Drake." Heiji stated.

"But who is he?" Conan questioned.  

"Are you two ok?!" Kazuha asked running over to Ran and Sonoko.

"We are, thanks to that guy." Sonoko pointed.

"Isn't he the same guy who was staring over at you Ran?" Kazuha asked.

"That's the one." Ran confirmed.

They watched as he engaged in conversation with one of mall cops, no doubt telling him about what happened.

"Lets just head back to the bench," Kazuha suggested. "We can wait over there."

Conan looked to the other side, watching as they put the man who was shot onto a stretcher.

"Looks like he'll live."

They took back to the bench, letting their nerves clear from what had happened. Minutes passed, and there was still no sign of Tim. Conan looked back to the wall to see him still standing there. Everyone else noticed him as well.

"Sonoko, Ran, aren't you two going to go over and thank him?" Heiji asked.

The two of them looked to him once more, there was something mysterious about him. Something that seemed to scare them, but they weren't sure what.

"I think we'll hold off on that one." Sonoko replied.

"Why don't you try talking to him," Kazuha said tapping Heiji. "The rest of us will join you as soon as the cost is clear."

"I don't know, it doesn't look like he likes me to much," Heiji said sitting forward. "Though I'm betting you could win him over with your charm."

"Fine," Conan said jumping down from the bench. "I'll go."

"Go where?"

The five of them turned to see Tim come to a stop.

"What took you so long?" Kazuha asked stepping up to him with the cross of her arms.

"I was told two O'clock," Tim said looking to his watch. "I'm five minutes early."

"Heiji and Kazuha arrived earlier than we thought," Ran said. "That must be what threw everything off."

"So where exactly was Conan about to go?" Tim asked.

"There," Sonoko pointed. "Do you see that man there?"

Tim's eyes narrowed, heading straight for him.

"Don't you want to hear what happened before walking into the lions den?"

Tim ignored her, coming to a stop once reaching him. Neither said a word for the first few seconds.

"So... this is what you do during the day time."

"This is a special occasion," Tim replied with a smile. "You know that cap over your eyes can't fool me, though I will say I'm a little surprised to see you here."

"You shouldn't be," He said pushing the hat from his eyes. "Your little TV stunt you pulled isn't sitting very well with Bruce, it took a lot for me to convince him to let me come in his place."

The two of them looked down as Conan approached.

"Tim, do you know this man?" Conan asked looking from one to the other.

Tim nodded in response.

"Conan, this is my brother," Tim said looking back to him. "Dick Grayson."

"I've heard much," Dick said with a welcoming smile. "It's a pleasure to finally meet you, Shinichi Kudo."

To Be Continued

 








Converting /tmp/phpZOt2Fo to /dev/stdout