Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Detective Prince ❯ A Challenge ( Chapter 50 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Detective Prince
Chapter 50
A Challenge

The traffic throughout the streets had drastically declined from thirty minutes prior. The vehicles that had been involved in the crash had been towed away which allowed for a clear path to drive. Conan made his way across the street after the light turned red, heading for the detective agency to see Kogoro step down from the stairwell.

"What are you doing here so quick," Kogoro asked. "Don't you still have forty five minutes until class gets out?"

"They let us go early."

"Is that so," Kogoro said. "I wonder why that is."

"There's been a... they're having teachers constructing day." Conan quickly came up with.

"Teachers constructing day," Kogoro questioned. "What is teachers constructing day?"

"It's where all the teachers come together to pitch new ideas on any upcoming tests or events," Conan replied. "Concerning all the students of course."

"Isn't that something they usually do on a teacher work day?" Kogoro asked narrowing his eyes.

"It's because... the test is tomorrow," Conan said. "They wanted to get together to discuss what they're going to include in it."

"I see." Kogoro said still skeptical on the matter.

"You can call the school if you don't believe me." Conan said with a slight gulp.

"It's not that I don't believe you, I just find it strange they'd let you out so early for something like that."

"Where are you heading off to?" Conan asked in hopes of changing the subject.

"To visit an old friend," Kogoro replied. "I won't be back until late tonight."

"Does Ran know about this?"

"I told her this morning before she went to school," Kogoro answered. "My phone will be on if there's any problems, so don't hesitate to call me if you need me."

"Of course."

"If the two of you go somewhere later make sure you lock the door," Kogoro instructed. "With all the crazy stuff that's been going on as of late, I don't want to take any chances."

Conan nodded in response. Kogoro then signaled for a cab which didn't take long for one to arrive. Conan watched as he drove off, breathing out in relief.

"That was close, I defiantly got away with one there," Conan thought. "It's not often he goes to visit an old friend out of the blue like this, I wonder what he could be going to see them about?"

After a few hours of sitting in front of the computer he finally decided to take a small break. He shut off the lights on his way out, checking to make sure he had his ID as he did. It was still relatively early, the clock hitting past five PM. With the amount of extra time on his hands he decided to head up to ROTI.

"Would you like me to wait here for your return?"

"I don't know how long this will take," Tim replied while handing the cab driver a sum of money. "You're free to go."

He closed the door after stepping out, immediately making his way toward the front entrance of the research facility. Once in he made his way over to the front desk which was located in the left corner.

"How may I help you?" The clerk asked from behind the desk.

"I was wondering if Bondo was around," Tim replied. "There's something I'd like to discuss with him."

"Anyone looking to speak with Mr. Salvonte must set up a meeting ahead of time," The clerk stated. "I'm sorry, but you are unable to speak with him until doing so."

"Could you at least tell him I stopped by," Tim asked. "I'd really appreciate that."

"You know him personally?"

"We met about a month ago," Tim confirmed. "Things have been pretty solid since."

"I'll give you the benefit of the doubt," He said reaching for the phone at the side of him. "What's your name by the way?"

"Just tell him it's the Wayne kid from Gotham," Tim replied. "He'll know who I am."

He stood in wait as a conversation ensued over the phone. It took less than a minute for it to come to an end.

"I'm sorry to say, but Mr. Salvonte is out of state right now," The clerk informed. "I can't directly reach him at this time."

"Do you know when he will be back?"

He shook his head from side to side.

"Sorry, but no," He replied. "You're free to stop by anytime, I'm sure he'll be back as soon as he can."

"Thanks for your time, Mr. Bennet," Tim said sighting his name tag. "I'll keep that in mind."

With that he made his way toward the exit.

"That little scenario turned out to be a lot quicker than I was expecting it to be," Tim thought to himself. "Didn't expect Bondo to be out of state, probably should have asked where he took off too."

It was something that laid in the back of his mind throughout the remainder of the day.

The night had come early with the emergence of thick dark clouds flowing in from the west. It was well past two that morning. He continued to wait at the table where he had been seated from the past hour. After a margin of silence the sound of the door cracking open alerted him of someone entering. He stood up from where he sat with an anxious look on his face.

"So..?"

"Njoo's idea worked as planned, there's nothing to worry about concerning our former problem," Gin replied closing the door softly. "He's dead Vodka."

"Are you sure," Vodka asked. "I'd like to be assured this time, considering how many times he's managed to survive our several kill attempts."

Gin pulled something from behind, an evil grin coming to his face as he held it out in front of him.

"I'd say his garments found at the site are a token for our assurance," Gin said revealing the cowl and cape. "It seems we've finally beaten the detective at his own game."

"Best news of the week," Vodka said in relief. "Now we can move forward with this next deal without worrying about his interference."

Gin made his way past him. Vodka looked over at him in confusion once Gin came to a stop in front of the fire place.

"Gin, what are you doing?"

"Just paying a little trivial to our old friend," Gin replied setting a fire. "It's about time he burned in hell."

With those last words he tossed the cape and cowl into the blazing flames, the two of them watching until there was nothing left of it.

"Farewell, detective."

The next day brought an early beginning for him, getting up much sooner than he usually did. After dressing himself for the day he made his way into the bathroom, heading out after brushing his teeth.

"It's awfully quiet," Conan thought as he dropped the bag over his shoulders. "I wonder if there is anyone here besides me."

He then made his way into the main room. Just as he thought, there was no one to but him. He looked down at his watch to check the time.

"I have about an hour until school begins," Conan said. "Surely Ran hasn't left already."

Conan made his way to the front of her room, giving it a few knocks before taking a step back. The door didn't open, nor did she answer from the other side. He tried knocking once more only to receive the same results.

"I wonder where she could be?"

Conan finally gave in after trying for a third time. He slid on his shoes which laid at the side of the wall before heading out the front door. On his way down the stairs he caught sight of Kogoro who was pacing back and forth in his office. After giving it a seconds thought he decided to walk in.

"First you were early getting home from school yesterday, and now you're going almost an hour early," Kogoro said. "Is there something going on up at your school again?"

"No, just another day," Conan replied with the shake of his head. "Have you seen Ran around by any chance, she didn't answer when I knocked on her door."

"That's because she left awhile ago."

"I wonder why that is, class doesn't start until another good fifty minutes."

"She said something about going on a field trip," Kogoro informed. "Is there something you needed?"

"No, just looking to say good morning," Conan replied. "On a side note, how'd your visit with your friend go yesterday?"

Before he could reply the phone on the desk began to ring. Kogoro waked over and answered it.

"Looks like that'll have to wait for another time." Conan thought while making his way out.

He continued down the stairs, arriving down at the sidewalk to find his friends waiting for him.

"What a surprise this is." Conan said more than glad to see them.

"It was kinda of weird not having either of you at school yesterday." Ayumi said.

"So you stayed home for a second time?" Conan asked looking Ai's way.

"I didn't feel well enough to go."

"What about you Conan," Genta asked. "Why weren't you at school yesterday?"

"To tell you the truth, I didn't feel to good myself," Conan replied. "I think it had something to do with how long I waited to eat the night before, woke up with a headache of my own."

"Well we're glad to have you both back," Mitsuhiko stated. "Now let's get going shall we?"

"Why did you guys come here," Conan asked as they began walking. "You could have just waited for me up at the school."

"We wanted to make sure you were ok and that you were coming today," Mitsuhiko said. "Lately you've had the tendency of not answering your phone, that's why we came over instead."

"Well I'm glad you did, it gives me someone to talk to on the way there," Conan said. "So, what did I miss yesterday?"

They past by one light to the next, continuing to make their way up and down the streets. He pushed up from where he sat, looking out the window to see some kind of event taking place in an open field not very far away.

"I wonder if we're almost there, we've been driving for over an hour now."

He turned on his phone which laid in his lap, checking to see if anyone had left a message since the last time it was on.

"No one has called since last night."

He looked up into the sky to see the clouds that had been clustered together earlier that morning were nowhere to be seen.

"Looks like whatever was brewing must have passed over."

Another solid minute of driving went by. The bus finally slowed down after passing a gas station, taking a right which lead them toward large facility which overlooked a lake in the near distance.

"Looks like we're finally here, bout time."

The bus came to a stop shortly after making it's way into the parking lot. He was the last one to come out, looking around to see at least fifteen other buses sitting throughout the lot. He followed close behind the other students who made their way to the front of the building, feeling a hand touch upon his left shoulder after taking a few steps forward.

"Did you enjoy the ride here?"

"Should have brought something along to read," Tim replied turning to face Ran. "What about yours?"

"Not much better than yours by the sounds of it."

"Where's Sonoko," Tim asked. "Didn't the two of you ride on the same bus?"

Ran pointed to the side of him. Tim turned to find Sonoko standing to the right of him.

"Did I hear someone call my name?"

"I had a feeling you'd be close," Tim said. "You never did tell me what you're participating in."

"Speech," Sonoko informed. "I've already practiced several times over on what I'm going to say."

"Speech huh," Tim said a little taken back by this. "I took you as someone who might get stage fright speaking in front of a large group."

"Then you had me figured wrong, I can handle the spot light just fine."

"What about you Ran," Tim asked. "What are you here for?"

"The same thing as Sonoko." Ran replied.

"Ten bucks says Sonoko talked her into that one." Tim thought to himself. "Ran never took me as a stage person either, or it just shows how much I know on the matter."

They made their way in through the front entrance, welcomed by the cool air from inside.

"You've gotten awfully quiet," Sonoko said. "Is something wrong?"

"It's nothing to worry about," Tim assured. "Just thinking is all."

"What about you," Ran asked. "You never did tell me what you would be taking part in."

"He's doing what most of the guys in school are competing in," Sonoko informed. "Running in a little track and field."

"And what's wrong with that?" Tim questioned.

"I never said anything was." Sonoko stated.

"That's strange, because I don't recall seeing a track when we arrived." Ran said

"I bet it's around back somewhere," Tim pointed. "That seems to be where more than half the students are going."

"I guess this is where we part ways." Ran said.

"Hopefully you two haven't gone by the time I get back, I'd really like to see what the two of you have to say."

"Just make sure you represent Teitan well by not coming in last." Sonoko said as he followed after the others.

"No need to worry there," Tim said looking back. "I rarely ever take last in anything I compete in."

"We'll see if that holds true," Sonoko said. "I'll be checking the chart to see the results later on."

He gave her the thumbs up before turning into the opposite direction. They took a right after making it to the end of the hall which lead to a steel door.

"I sure hope I'm going in the right direction."

It didn't take long for him to have an answer to his thought, arriving outside to find many gathered around large track.

"Looks like I arrived just in time," Tim said. "From the looks of it they should be starting anytime now."

Most everything beyond the track was nothing but open field and a few trees here and there in the far distance. Located to the left about a quarter mile up was the lake he had seen while on the bus. He stood in the same spot as he continued to observe the area, hearing his name called by a familiar voice.

"Aoko," Tim said turning to face her. "What a surprise this is."

"I wasn't expecting to see you here," Aoko said. "How have you been doing?"

"Busy would be the best answer," Tim replied. "But other than that I've been doing pretty good for the most part."

"Come with me, there's someone I want you to meet."

He followed her through the large group, wondering who it was she was taking him to see.

"He's right over there." Aoko pointed as they approached the track.

They could see him standing alone, stretching as he waited for everything to begin. He turned at the sound of them coming to a stop at his side.

"Allow me to introduce you to.."

"Tim."

"Kaito."

"You two know each other?" Aoko asked.

"Yea, we met at a museum over a month ago," Tim confirmed. "Isn't that right Kaito?"

"How could I forget," Kaito said. "That speech you gave about the arts was unforgettable to say the least."

"I've always had a way with words, it's something that runs in the family."

"I'm glad we have the opportunity to talk once more."

"I hate to interrupt," Aoko said stepping in between the two. "But I was wondering where Keiko ran off to."

"She left a few seconds after you did," Kaito informed. "She said she was going to go see if she could find a water fountain."

"I'm going to go find her," Aoko said turning to walk. "Will the two of you still be here?"

"I have a race to run," Kaito stated. "I'm not going anywhere."

With that she took off, leaving the two of them standing alone.

"So, you're running track just like me," Tim said with a smile. "Just out of curiosity, what's your time on the forty yard dash?"

"I landed a five three straight," Kaito replied. "And you?"

"Nice, you beat me by a few," Tim said. "Last time we recorded I ran a 5.502."

"Huh, looking at you I'd expect better."

"I could say the same for you." Tim said.

"Who says I was trying," Kaito stated. "I could have easily knocked off three additional seconds if I had wanted."

"I'd like to take you up on that."

"What are you proposing," Kaito asked. "Because if you ask me I'd say you are suggesting some kind of challenge."

"That's exactly what I was aiming for," Tim said. "Whoever finishes with a better time wins."

"What's the wager?" Kaito asked.

"The consequences for the loser will be decided after the race," Tim replied. "So what do you say, are you in?"

"Be prepared to eat my dust." Kaito replied.

"You mean that same dust created from the fire I'm going to burn you with after I pass you up?"

"Good counter," Kaito complimented. "Let's just see if your production on the track is as good as your mouth running capabilities."

"You won't disappointed."

While they continued to wait they stretched out their muscles, making sure everything was loosened out for the race.

"Haven't had any competitive fun like this in a long time," Tim thought. "Im going to enjoy this as much as I can."

After another minute of waiting a loud whistle could be heard, grabbing everyones attention who stood near the track.

"Alright everyone, can I have your attention?"

"I think that was already gained with the whistle." Kaito thought to himself.

"You can address me by Mr. Keian, I will be the one hosting all track activities," Mr. Keian informed. "We're going to begin with the boys, so if I could get six volunteers so we can get started on recording times."

Kaito and Tim both looked to one another.

"You ready?"

"Don't see how a few extra minutes are going to make me any readier." Kaito replied.

They were the first two to make it onto the track. Four others joined them shortly after.

"It looks like we're all ready to begin Mr. Keian." Kaito said.

"I take it you all know how to get set before a race?"

They all nodded in response.

"Good, now let us begin."

They lined up from there, watching as Mr. Keian walked forty yards up the track. Once there he held a timer out in front of him, the whistle resting in between his lips. Kaito and Tim glimpsed at one another for a last time, looking toward the ground in the seconds that followed. They cleared their minds from everything, waiting for the go ahead ring. The whistle was loud and clear, each runner sprinting off from there.

"No contest," Kaito thought passing by four of his competitors. "Only one man to beat."

Everything seemed to slow down as they closed in on the last fifteen yards, Kaito's head swayed to the side as the two of them neared the finish. It was no contest, they were clearly faster than those who competed against them.

"What happened," Kaito asked walking up to Mr. Keian after everyone had finished. "What were the times?"

"You and that other kid came in at a 4.3002 and a 4.3402." Mr. Keian replied.

"So which one of us came in first?" Kaito anxiously asked.

"Sorry to say, but your friend came in a little before you."

Kaito slowly turned around to find Tim standing a few feet away with a grin on his face. He made his way over with his shoulders slouching downward.

"You already knew, didn't you?"

"You could have beaten me you know."

"What do you mean?" Kaito asked.

"You got caught looking before we crossed the finish line," Tim replied. "Never look at the person at the side of you as you run, it can take away any momentum you may have."

"Thanks for the tip," Kaito thanked. "I guess it's time to pay my dividends, so what would you like in regard to our bet?"

"Give me a few minutes," Tim said savoring the victory. "I'll let you know as soon as I come up with something."

Kaito crossed his arms at this.

"I wonder what's taking Aoko so long, it shouldn't take that long to find Keiko."

Someone caught his attention from the other side of the track. He hadn't really noticed at first. He took a few steps forward to get a closer look. There was no doubt, it was clearly someone he had seen before.

"She looks so familiar, yet I can't quite remember where I saw her."

He  turned to his left after feeling Kaito lean up against his shoulder with the use of his arm.

"I see you've finally come to a decision."

"What are you talking about?" Tim asked.

"Don't play dumb, I saw you eyeing her," Kaito pointed. "I could put in a word for you if you'd like."

"You know her?"

"Of course, she's a classmate of mine," Kaito replied. "Her names Akako."

"That's it," Tim thought. "That's where I remember seeing her, she's the girl I encountered in the subway when I was chasing after Kid."

"Hey Tim," Kaito said waving a hand past his eyes. "You still with me?"

"Yea, I guess I dosed off for a second," Tim said. "Must have something to do with the heat."

"Couldn't agree more, it's one hot day."

"To bad we can't go have a swim with the fishes over in that lake."

Kaito gulped at his comment. Tim immediately took notice of this.  

"What's wrong," Tim asked. "You scared of taking a dip with the fishes?"

"It's been over five minutes and they're still not back," Kaito said changing the subject. "I think we should go see if we can find them."

"Right behind you captain."

The both of them headed toward the door once again, Tim glimpsing back at Akako one last time.

"Kaitou is not always an easy person to come across," Tim thought. "She could very well be my way of getting to him sooner rather than later."

It had been a relatively easy day in class, completing everything handed to him in a timely fashion. He finished the last paper assigned five minutes before the final bell of the day was to ring, giving him a little extra time to sit back and relax. He was one of the first to make it out with Ai walking at his side.

"You were noticeably quiet today," Conan said. "Are you sure you're feeling better?"

"I feel fine," Ai said. "Today was more solo projects anyway."

"Even then, you weren't as talkative when we were allowed to collaborate on certain problems."

"Are you going somewhere with this?"

"Never mind, just forget it." Conan said finally dropping the subject

"About yesterday, were you really feeling sick," Ai asked. "Or was there another reason why you didn't go to school?"

He wanted to tell her, but knew he couldn't. At least not until the right time presented itself.

"Like I said before, I was to ill to go," Conan replied. "If I had felt well enough to go I would have."

They pushed there way past the front doors of the schools, noticing there friends were nowhere to be seen.

"They're usually never this slow getting out," Conan said. "You want me to go back in and see what the hold up is?"

"I'll go," Ai said. "I wont be long."

Conan waited by the front doors, looking at his watch as he waited. The sound of a car honking over at him caught his attention, looking over to see Dick parked at the corner of the street.

"I wonder what he's doing here." Conan said before walking over.

The windows rolled down as he approached.

"Just the guy I was looking for," Dick said unlocking the doors. "Get in, there's something we need to discuss."

"But I'm waiting for my friends," Conan said. "I can't just run out on them."

"I'll give them a ride as well," Dick said. "Now that we've solved that little debate why don't you get in."

Conan took him up on his offer, opening the door to the passenger seat. He settled in, strapping the belt in place after doing so.

"So what's so important we need to talk about?"

"The next hit is tomorrow," Dick stated. "If we don't figure out the when and where someone else is going to die."

"The next hit," Conan questioned. "What next hit?"

To Be Continued








Converting /tmp/phpfTJWWO to /dev/stdout