Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Detective Prince ❯ Dinning At The Den ( Chapter 53 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Detective Prince
Chapter 53
Dinning At The Den

It was a relatively noisy ride back, hearing the sound of sirens as a police car drove past from the left. He rolled up the window to help block most sounds. There was a lot on his mind. He arrived back at the crime scene not long after, parking in the same spot he previously had his last visit.

"Now to see if they know what happened with that car explosion."

He made his way past the crime scene tape, joining Megure who was standing by the car along with three other officers.

"Grayson," Juzo said looking up as he approached. "I wasn't expecting you back so soon."

"How has your inspection been coming along?" Dick asked.

"It's just as I thought," Juzo replied. "What caused the car to explode was that wire we found, it was connected to an explosive which was attached to the bottom of the car."

"I assume it was on the driver side."

"That's correct."

"What about the victim, where was the body found after the explosion erupted?"

"Inside the car," Juzo replied. "Why do you ask?"

"That means when they opened the car door it didn't set off the bomb, at least not right away." Dick stated.

"Do you think there's deeper meaning to it?"

"Don't know."

"Well if anything comes to mind feel free to share."

"Of course, I wouldn't have it any other way." Dick said.

"I heard you got around to reading what that note had written on it."

"Officer Sato was kind enough to share it with me." Dick confirmed.

"She called me after reading it herself," Juzo said. "So what do you make of it?"

"Lets just say I'm in the midst of figuring that one out."

The sky darkened with each passing minute. They had finally arrived after a time consuming walk, coming to a stop a few inches away from the door. He knocked once, taking a step back after doing so.

"Do you think anyone is here?" Tim asked.

"The gate was left unlocked, that's not usually the case if they're not around." Conan replied.

The door slid open moments later which grabbed their attention.

"To what do I owe the honor?"

"Good to see you as well Agasa." Tim said.

"How may I be of service to the two of you?"

"Just dropping by for a little visit." Conan replied.

"Well come on in," Hiroshi said pushing the door aside. "It's been a rather quiet morning, we could use the added company."

"Glad to be able to help." Tim said stepping in along with Conan.

"Where's Haibara?" Conan asked after the door closed from behind.

"She went upstairs a couple minutes ago, I'd expect her back down anytime now."

He removed his watch as they made their way further into the room, handing it to Dr. Agasa who looked down at him.

"What's wrong," Hiroshi asked. "Is it not working?"

"I'm actually down to my last stunner," Conan replied. "I was hoping you could refill it."

"Of course, just give me a minute."

"We'll be right here." Conan said.

They watched as he made his way up the stairs, walking past Ai who was heading in the opposite direction with a magazine in hand.

"We were just asking about you," Conan said as she stepped down. "How's your day coming along?"

"Slow start." Ai replied continuing toward the couch.

"What's that you're reading?" Tim asked catching a glimpse of the front cover.

"A new brand of designed clothing which is slated for a fall release." Ai replied after having a seat.

"Are you looking forward to it?"

"I suppose so."

"You never took me as a fashion kind of person," Tim admitted. "I guess you learn something new about someone everyday."

Conan's phone began to vibrate at that second. He pulled it out from his side looking to see an incoming call.

"I wonder what he wants."

Conan stepped to the side, answering the call as he did. The conversation lasted for a little over thirty seconds, putting his phone back into his pocket once finished.

"Who was that?" Ai asked lowering the magazine from her eyes.

"It was Mitsuhiko," Conan replied. "He was just telling me about the car explosion which I already found out about earlier."

"Where did this happen?" Ai asked.

"A few miles from here, across from a fire station near a construction site."

"Was anyone hurt?" Ai said.

"Only one that we know of." Tim replied.

The three of them looked toward the stairs at the sound of Agasa making his way back down.

"Here you are Conan," Hiroshi said handing him his watch back. "It's all good to go."

"Thanks doc, you never know when a situation may arise."

He snapped his watch back into place, looking outside the window to see a light rain had began to come down.

"Looks like we may have to change our plans for another day," Conan said walking over. "Not exactly the ideal conditions to go out and do something."

"We should probably talk to Ran about that."

"Where were the three of you planning on going?" Hiroshi asked.

"We hadn't decided on that yet." Tim answered.

"What a coincidence," Hiroshi said. "I plan on going out myself."

"And where might that be?" Conan asked out of curiosity.

"I would tell you, but it's a little bit of a secret."

"A secret?"

"He's been hinting at it all week," Ai informed. "But has yet to tell me either."

"Must be some kind of surprise." Tim thought.

"We better get going, the sooner we find out what we plan to do the better."

"Would the two of you like a ride?" Hiroshi offered.

"We'll be ok," Tim replied. "It's nothing but a small drizzle."

"Haibara, would you like to come along," Conan asked turning away from the window. "It could be fun."

"I'd rather not, I'm in no mood to get wet."

"Suit yourself." Conan said before he and Tim headed for the door.

Agasa held it open for the two of them, waving as they made their way past the gate.

"Call me if you need anything." Hiroshi called out.

Conan nodded in response. The rain picked up headway as they continued walking, hearing the sound of thunder in the far distance. It was a short walk there, coming to a stop at the bottom of the stairwell.

"Am I going up alone or are you coming along?" Conan asked.

"You don't think they'll mind?"

"Of course not." Conan said walking forward.

With little hesitation Tim followed after him. Conan opened the door once they reached the top of stairs. The two of them walked in to find Ran who had her sights set on the TV.

"I'm home." Conan said drawing her attention.

"Hi Ran." Tim said as she looked their way.

"I didn't even know you were up," Ran said. "When did you leave?"

Conan looked down at his watch, making sure he came up with a reasonable time.

"About fifteen after eight."

"He's been with me the whole time." Tim added.

"What prompted you to stop by so early," Ran asked. "We aren't supposed to go out until well over an hour from now."

"That's why I'm here," Tim said. "The weather has taken an unexpected shift, so I was checking to see if we were still going out."

"I don't know," Ran said in response. "I've been trying to reach Sonoko for the past hour but she hasn't been answering her cell phone."

"And she won't," Tim informed. "She left it over at my apartment on her way out."

"Did you try her home phone?" Conan asked as he had a seat next to the table.

Ran nodded.

"No one picked up from there either."

"I'm sure it's nothing to worry about," Tim said assuringly. "She did say she had a family matter to attend to."

Ran crossed her arms, sharpening her eyes at him. This caused him to take a step back, feeling his back touching up against the door.

"What's wrong," Tim asked with a smile. "Is there something I did?"

"What was Sonoko doing at your apartment anyway?"

"It was only school related, I promise."

She looked at him for a moments longer, dropping her hands to her side in the seconds that followed.

"Well you have been good with the truth lately, since we're waiting would you like to hang here with us for awhile," Ran asked with a smile forming across her face. "We could play some board games until she calls back."

"Board games?"

"Come on, it'll be fun." Ran said grabbing him by his wrist.

She pulled him over next to Conan who smiled up at him as Ran forced him to have a seat.

"I'll be right back," Ran said before turning for her room. "I have a few stashed away in my closet."

The two of them sat in silence for the next minute or so. She returned with five different board games, placing them onto the center of the table atop each other.

"Conan did you happen to look into the office on your way up?" Ran asked.

"Was there something I was supposed to see?"

"Was my dad in there by any chance?"

"He sure was," Conan replied. "I saw him sitting in the chair staring up at the ceiling, I'm betting he's waiting on a call."

"Hold on just one minute." Ran said as she made her way for the door.

"Where are you going?" Conan asked.

"To try and get him to join us," Ran replied. "I know the two of you can find something to talk about in the meantime, I promise I won't be long."

She closed the door on her way out, leaving them in the silence of the room for a second time.

"Sorry," Conan said. "I had no idea things would turn out like this if you came along."

"Don't worry about it," Tim said looking down at his watch. "This will help burn off some time until tonight."

"What's happening tonight?"

"Setting up for our next move."

The rain came to a halt by nights beginning. He drove through the wet streets, rolling his window down to feel the coolness of the night breeze. He checked the time on his watch after taking another right, looking to see he was already five minutes late to their scheduled meeting.

"Better hurry, I'd hate to keep him waiting any longer than I already have."

He drove up a few more blocks before finally coming to a stop in front of a junk yard. He made sure everything was secure, locking all doors before getting out. He came upon a rusty steel gate after taking a few steps forward, looking to see sharp pointy edges sticking out.

"Doesn't look like anyone has been here in quite some time."

He reached into his jacket for a pair of gloves, not wanting to accidently cut himself. He successfully made his way past the gate with no harm done, heading deeper into the bowels of where everything was stacked up.

"This place is like a maze, he must have a good reason for why we're meeting here."

The wind whistled through a car hood from above, startling him ever so slightly. He circled past a stack of laying wheels, turning the corner to see him standing in the middle of it all.

"Takagi, what took you so long?"

"I got backed up in traffic, not to mention the wet conditions of the road," Wataru replied. "But why are we meeting here Megure?"

"What do you mean," Juzo questioned. "It was you who said you had something to show me."

"But you called me." Wataru stated.

"Well if it wasn't you or I who set this up, then who?"

The two of them jumped at the sound of someone landing onto a pile of stacked cars from behind, immediately turning to see who it was.

"I'm glad to see the two of you were able to find your way here."

"Red Robin," Juzo said more than surprised. "I take it you're the one who set this whole thing up?"

"We need to talk." Red Robin said jumping down to join them in the center of it all.

"Why are we meeting here," Wataru asked looking around. "Did a crime happen around this place?"

"No, just thought this would be a better place to meet instead of at the station." Red Robin replied.

"That must mean you have something to share with us." Juzo said.

"As a matter a fact I do." Red Robin confirmed.

"Is it about that explosion that occurred earlier today?"

"That's something I've thought about, but not why I called you two here tonight."

"We're listening."

"It's about the Outworlders," Red Robin began. "I have a way we can shut them down, and with your help and corporation I know we can pull it off."

"You seem confident," Juzo stated. "That must mean you know who's the head man of their operations."

"I've know that for awhile now."

"Well if that's the case then why didn't you tell me?" Juzo asked.

"That wouldn't have been enough," Red Robin replied. "Even if I had brought him into custody it's not like he would have spilled to us what his plans were."

"So what have you been able to find out up till this point?"

"Lets just say I've made some streaks," Red Robin replied. "They had originally planned on having a meeting tomorrow night but rescheduled for tomorrow morning instead."

"Where at?" Juzo asked.

"A low key inn called Branneys Den."

"Never heard of it." Wataru said.

"Wouldn't doubt it," Red Robin said. "It's not an easy place to find, I'll be the first one to tell you that."

"So how were you able to find this place," Juzo asked. "About the meeting even?"

"I could take the time to explain that and about their recent activities, but we don't have much time," Red Robin reminded. "They plan on meeting within the next seven hours."

Juzo took this moment to glimpse down at his watch, looking back toward him after doing so.

"That would mean they're scheduled to meet at anytime after five A.M. some time," Juzo said. "And you're positive about this whole thing?"

"I wouldn't have called you here if I wasn't."

"So what exactly did you have in mind?" Juzo asked.

He reached down, digging into the contents of his utility belt. The two of them looked on in confusion as he held a mini circular device out in front of him.

"What is that?" Juzo asked.

"It's for you." Red Robin said tossing it to Wataru who caught it.

"Me?"

"We need an inside guy, and you'll fit the bill just fine."

"What is this thing exactly?" Wataru asked.

"A communications device, once in your ear it will enable us to be able to speak to one another within a fifty yard radius."

"What do you want me to do when I get inside?"

"I'll let you know as soon as you're seated in a secure spot," Red Robin replied. "And don't worry, I'll be watching every move made from the outside window."

"Which will leave the back exit for me." Someone said dropping down from behind the two.

They instantly spun around, taking a step back as they did.

"Who the hell are you?" Juzo questioned.

"His names Nightwing," Red Robin replied. "He's the guy I wanted you to meet."

"Is that so," Juzo remarked. "How many of you masked men are running around anyway?"

"You'd be surprised." Nightwing replied.  

"Nothing really surprises me at this point."

"Can't argue that," Nightwing said. "Time will do that for you."

"Won't they become suspicious of someone unknown sitting around?" Wataru asked

"Not in the least, their little group won't be the only ones who will be there," Nightwing replied. "There will also be those usual customers who come in at that hour for their normal cup of coffee, I'd know since I've observed the place for the past two nights."

"I know we're low on time, but I would really like to know what you have planned before sending Takagi alone into that place." Juzo said.

"All we want is to gather information," Red Robin said. "That's what this whole operation is about, and with anything learned you'll hear it for yourself rather then second hand."

"How is he supposed to get close enough to hear what they're are saying without them becoming suspicious?"

"He won't need to," Nightwing replied. "The communications device will handle it all, we already know where they will be seated."

"And with that in mind we took the liberty of installing a hidden mic under the table," Red Robin added. "All you have to do is pivot the center piece back and it will allow you you to hear and record anything they're saying."

Wataru took this time to place it into his ear, making sure it was secure.

"Fits perfectly."

"Now that we have that all sorted out, what about me," Juzo asked. "What will I be doing during all of this?"

"We'll have you watch from the streets below," Nightwing replied. "Make sure you're parked in an area that doesn't bring too much attention to yourself."

"What should I be looking for?"

"Anything alarming or out of the ordinary." Red Robin answered.

He reached to his side, pulling out a rolled up piece of paper. He walked up to Megure who took the slip of paper into his hand.

"What's this?" Juzo asked.

"Directions to Branneys Den," Red Robin replied. "It shouldn't be to hard to find once you figure your way around."

"The two of you are free to kick it back until then," Nightwing said. "Just try to be there an hour early, that way we have time to set up."

"Couldn't have said it any better myself." Juzo said in agreement.

"We'll let the two of you go for now, there's something we have to do before then." Nightwing said before jumping over a pile of stacked cars.

"Make sure you don't lose that ear piece, it's essential you have it."

"Loud and clear."

"See you there." Red Robin said before following after him.

This left the two of them standing alone. They listened to the chants of the crickets who happened to be in the near distance.

"I don't think I fully understand what's going on." Wataru said.

"That makes the two of us," Juzo said. "But I'm sure we'll have a better understanding in the next few hours."

"Time will only tell."

"Can't argue that," Juzo said heading back from where they entered. "Come on, I think we could both use a little rest before then."

"Can't argue that."

The following hours seemed to drag, making for a long wait. A car drove past from where he stood, feeling the frost breeze slide across the side of his face. This caused him to grip the insides of his pockets. He adjusted his cap to where it hung over his eyes, looking both ways before crossing the street. He removed his right hand from his pocket to reach for the handle of the door, reading the sign upon the wall which read 'Branneys Den'.

"So, this is it."

Warmth came over him once inside, keeping his poise and position all the way through. A large sheet hanged from the ceiling which blocked the path. He pushed it to the side which revealed a spaced out room. There were several tables throughout the area. He headed toward a booth seat in the far right corner of the room, removing his hands from his pockets once situated.   

"This should do it."

Not surprisingly he heard a ring coming from his left ear, pressing down on the device to take the call.

"I see you've picked your spot, not a bad choice Takagi."

"Where are you?"

"On the roof adjacent to where you are just like I said." Red Robin radioed back.

"What about Megure, is he all set?" Wataru asked.

"As set as he's going to be," Red Robin replied. "How are things on your end?"

"There's no one here," Wataru said. "I didn't even come across clerk on my way to this seat."

"They're probably just mopping around somewhere," Red Robin stated. "Sit tight, we have less than an hour until their scheduled meeting."

"Roger that."

The temperature seemed to lower with each minute that went by. He tried calling him for a fourth time from within that hour, still unsuccessful at getting ahold of him. He took a deep breath, wondering if they may have to slightly adjust their.

"Shinichi usually answers when I call, no matter what time of the day it is," Red Robin thought. "Looks like that leaves officer Takagi the lone man to dine in the Den, everything has gone as planned thus far.... hopefully it stays that way."

To Be Continued




Converting /tmp/php6tHkPl to /dev/stdout