Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Detective Prince ❯ Face of The Unknown Revealed ( Chapter 97 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The Detective Prince

Chapter 97

Face of The Unknown Revealed

The gathering they came to see upon arriving in front of the large building far exceeded their expectations. Finding a place to park was no easy task. There were many vehicles swirling in all directions which made for a bit of a jam.

"Here we are," Heiji said looking out the window to the giant structure in the wait. "This wasn't hard to find."

"I had heard there would be a large number of guests in attendance, but I could have never imagined a showing quite like this."

"Nor did I," Heiji agreed. "It's nearly impossible to find a parking space in this vicinity with the conditions like this."

"Why don't I pull up to the sidewalk and let you out there," Alfred suggested. "That is if you don't mind walking a short distance to the entrance."

"That would be perfectly fine," Heiji said. "No need to drive around any longer."

"Very well."

He did just that, pulling up to the walkway before unlocking the door.

"I'll see you soon." Heiji said before exiting.

"Good luck." Alfred replied with the tip of his hat.

He brushed off the sides of the shirt as he headed for the entrance which was a couple yards away. He kept his eyes wide as he walked, not familiar with anyone who stood around the front of the building.

"No sign of Rick, maybe he's already inside," Heiji said. "That or he has yet to arrive."

He reached the entrance in no time, stopping for a brief moment before looking upward.

"So this is it huh.. the Futures Building."

Both doors were locked off to the side, making for an easy transition in. Where to go next was the question. There was a long straight ahead with two different directions to choose from. He listened to the voices that carried throughout, making for an easy decision. He followed the voices which lead him to the right, eventually finding his way to a large room filled with many people.

"This must be it," Heiji said. "The foyer Wayne was referring to."

He reached into his pocket to pull out the piece of paper, looking over the layout of the building in relation to his position.

"This is the place alright."

He put it away soon after, no longer feeling the need for it at that given moment. He then checked the time, coming to find there was a little over forty five minutes until six.

"They had better hurry, there's not much time left before the show begins."

He looked around the room once more, this time only to have someone step up to his side from behind.

"I see you made it in a timely fashion."

"Rick," Heiji said turning at the sound of his voice. "I didn't see you on my way in, did you just get here?"

"I've actually been here with the other guys setting up shop for the past hour, I was actually wondering when you'd show," Rick said. "Have trouble finding the place?"

"Not at all," Heiji replied. "It would be hard to miss, it's one of the larger structures around."

"You have a point," Rick said. "Come on, I'll introduce you to the other guys."

"Where are they?" Heiji asked.

"Located throughout the place."

"You lead the way."

After minutes of shooting it down their efforts were finally awarded. The fire had finally been put out, all that remained was the ruble left behind from the explosion. Many still continued to gather around, wanting an explanation for what had happened.

"Alright everyone, get back," One of the security guards instructed. "We need this area cleared out."

They did a good job of moving everyone back, setting up crime scene tape around the area in the moments that followed. He stood in place, still monitoring the movements of the man who had taken off.

"Looks like he's in a real hurry, he's already left the premiss."

It was then that he felt a tap at his shoulder, looking up to come face to face with on of the officers.

"Hey there little boy, I'm going to need you to keep moving back," He instructed. "We need to close this area off as best we can."

"Yes sir."

Just as he was to make a move for the other side of the park they were joined by another security guard who showed distress in his face. Seeing this he pulled back with each step taken to try and hear what was to be said.

"Natt we have a problem."

"Yea I know, we're handling it now."

"I wasn't referring to the explosion."

"Do I even want to hear this?"

"If the bathroom incident wasn't enough, one of our employees was found stripped and tied down to a chair in one of the lower level closets."

"Someone tied up..?" Conan mumbled.

"You're not serious, who was it?"

"That janitor, the new guy."

"You mean Garrett?"

"That'd be him."

"What away to open up on your second week on the job."

"Yea, no kidding."

He had heard enough, finding it was now time to move on.

"Looks like we don't have a name after all," Conan thought as he walked. "The tracer planted is our only link to this guy now."

He grabbed hold of his phone as he walked, quickly dialing his number before bringing it to his ear.

"Hey it's me, we have a problem."

"Yea, I know."

He looked up at the sound of his voice, putting his phone away in the process.

"There you are," Conan said. "I was wondering when you'd come."

"I heard all of the commotion clear from the other side of the park," Tim said. "I came as soon as I could, what happened?"

"The bathrooms on this side of the park exploded."

"Something like that doesn't just happen by chance."

"They have things under wrap here, our focus is needed elsewhere."

"You running away from a potential case, never would have predicted that."

"I think catching the criminal is just as important as the analyzing process."

"Criminal," Tim questioned. "You saw who did this?"

"And I have a good idea of how they set it up."

"Did you get a look at their face?"

"Clear as day," Conan confirmed. "Believe it or not, I think it's the same man I encountered on the bus the other night."

"The shooter?"

"Yes."

"Small world."

"And a lucky break," Conan said. "Come on, he's still on the move."

"You managed to place a tracer on him?"

"He's currently moving across the parking lot," Conan confirmed. "We better hurry before he falls out of my range."

"How do you know he was the one to cause the bathrooms to explode?"

"A series of things," Conan replied as the two began to walk. "I'll give you all details on the way out, if not later."

The clock struck past twenty after, inching in closer to the widely anticipated opening for the Futures Building. He sat at the edge of the bed, all possible scenarios looming large to his mind. A gentle knock came from the other side of the room, ejecting him from his train of thought.

"Just a moment."

He stood up from where he sat, taking each step at a time as he made his way for the door. He opened it to see the two of them standing there.

"I got your message, I came as soon as I could."

"Come on in." Bruce invited.

"I'm surprised you haven't left yet," Dick said. "The opening is set to erupt in less than twenty minutes from now."

"And my appearance isn't scheduled until roughly seven," Bruce informed. "There's still plenty of time between now and then."

"I already visited both locations you'd like us to stand guard," Dick said. "Everything is a go."

"Good," Bruce said. "Have you gone over the details with him once more?"

"I know the plan," Damian declared. "I'll be watching out for any suspicious activity east of the facility."

"And in the case you see anyone making a run for it you redirect their escape route to the north," Bruce instructed. "Which will take them to where Kelver Side Crafts is located, also where a large sum of police officials will be."

"In the case that doesn't work out, force them to the west," Dick said. "You can be sure I'll lock them in."

"We've already gone over this," Damian said. "Besides, what are the chances someone would be foolish enough to try and escape on foot with a big crowd such as this?"

"Never doubt a method," Bruce stated. "Nearly anything is possible if planned to high excellence, and executed with just as much care."

"What time do you want us to get into position?" Dick asked.

"Anytime around six thirty, the main event doesn't begin until seven," Bruce said. "Whatever they plan to steal most likely won't be revealed until then."

"Sounds good to me."

"I need top focus tonight from you all, this is our moment," Bruce said. "The one we've been waiting for."

The signal remained strong, moving at the same pace as it had been before. They continued to follow it, exiting out from where they had entered. He explained all details as they walked, becoming clear on all events leading to what had happened. Only a couple more steps were taken before coming to a stop just before reaching the parking lot.

"What's wrong, why are we stopping?"

"Because he has," Conan replied. "He's about sixty two yards from where we stand, directly ahead."

He looked into that direction in response to this information.

"An apartment complex and a series of smaller city buildings."

"You think he's camping it out somewhere?"

"That's a possibility, which is why we need to move in with extreme caution," Tim said. "If this is the man you say you saw on that bus, then there's a chance that he could be armed."

"That's the thing that bothered me about this latest incident," Conan said. "All other kills were in the use of a firearms or blade, why the sudden change to an explosive?"

"Anything to get the job done is the way I see it."

"How long do you think we should give it before progressing on?"

"No longer than five minutes, unless they make a move before then," Tim said looking down at his watch. ".. Let the time begin."

They were joined by several others who exited the theme park as well.

"You think they're evacuating everyone from the park?" Conan asked.

"That or they all might have been rattled enough to want to leave," Tim replied. "At most I think they'd simply close off that small section in particular."

"So what happens when we apprehend this guy, are we going to hand him over to the police?"

"The jury's still out on that one, I'm not certain we're going to bring him in just yet."

"What, why not?"

"We need to learn as much about him and his operation as we can," Tim replied. "he's bound to have acquaintances, if we take him down on the spot I'm betting he won't be too forthcoming with any of that information."

"So what do you suggest, that we spy on him for a period?"

"That might be our best option."

"I can't disagree," Conan said. "Besides wiring his home and any potential software he may have, how else shall do you propose we proceed?"

"Once we know his game plan, we'll insert ourselves into the fray."

"Close and personal, that seems to be your ace card."

"Fastest way to get to the core of things."

He continued to monitor the time, closing in on two minutes before their move was to be made.

"Any movement from our run away?"

"Nope, he still in the same spot."

They stood there for a little longer, still watching as those from the park continued to move past. It was at that second that the heard their names called, turning to see two familiar faces heading in their direction.

"Bernadea Fournier and Nathan," Tim greeted. "What a surprise this is."

"We could say the same," Nathan replied. "We had no idea we'd run into the two of you here."

"Just another day in the park." Tim stated.

"How long have the two of you been here?"

"For over two hours," Tim replied. "We were actually just on our way out."

"Did you have fun?" Bernadea asked looking down at him.

"Tons," Conan replied. "Just as advertised."

"On the way through the parking lot we heard there was some kind of disturbance," Nathan said. "Either of you know what they were talking about?"

"Some kind of explosion," Tim replied. "Wasn't there when it erupted, only heard it from a distance."

"Is that why the two of you are leaving?" Bernadea asked.

"Oh no," Tim assured. "We just have somewhere else to be."

"Do you think it will be safe to go in?"

"The incident occurred off to the side, yards away from the entertainment areas," Conan informed. "Everything should be a go."

"That's good to know," Nathan said. "Any idea if anyone was hurt?"

".. No one knows yet." Tim quickly replied after slight hesitation.

"Let's hope not."

"What's in the bag." Conan asked taking notice of the long strap across his shoulder.

"Yea no kidding," Tim said. "Looks like you could fit a sword of staff in that thing."

"I asked him that very question on the way here," Bernadea said. "But he refuses to tell me."

"Like I said before," Nathan said. "It's a surprise, I'll reveal what's inside at the end of the evening."

"I hate surprises." Bernadea muttered.

"Well I guess it's about that time," Nathan said. "Maybe we'll catch the two of you around again some time."

"We'll be looking forward to it."

"As will we, later you two." Bernadea waved as the two of them took off for the entrance.

He reactivated the tracker at that given time, coming to find little to no movement had been made.

"He has yet to make another move," Conan said. "Are you ready to move in?"

"Let's go, we've held off long enough."

Everything had finally been set in motion, all that remained was the arrival of the others. In his mind the game had already begun. He searched the room for anything less than normal, quickly coming to find nothing alarming.

"You've been rather quiet for the last minutes," Rick said. "Is everything alright?"

"Nothing to worry about," Heiji assured. "Just looking around."

"You expecting someone?"

"Maybe a friend or two."

"Just remember to keep your focus on the task," Rick reminded. "If the thief is in fact here we're going to need all eyes and ears."

"Of course."

"We've already got two guys covering the front exit and two watching the back," Rick said. "That leaves you, detective Galldon, and I to observe everything that goes on in here."

"We still have time before the big reveal, if we could some how figure out what they're after we'd be a step closer to stopping them in their tracks."

"How do we figure," Rick questioned. "We have no leads to their true intent."

"Of course we do, it's all within the riddle."

"And what part might that be?"

"We've accounted for almost all sequences, all for except two lines," Heiji said. "a tune to Hear with a misdirection Red (1)' and 'for the Diamonds eye is for all to see'."

"Ok."

"Minus the 'misdirection' and 'red', which seems to be this guys theme, I believe lies our next hint," Heiji said. "A tune to hear (1)."

"I'm clueless as to what that could mean," Rick said. "Unless they're hosting an opera here tonight we've yet to be informed of."

"It's more subtle than that."

"Then there's the second part of the riddle you mentioned," Rick said. "'for the Diamonds eye is for all to see."

"What of it?"

"That's exactly why Kelver Side Crafts makes the most sense, they're hosting an auction tonight," Rick said. "Which of course will also include many rare brands of jewels."

"Did it ever occur to you that's what the thief wants you to belive," Heiji questioned. "Yes the riddle mentions a diamond, one that could be symbolic for something else."

"Like what?"

"The 1... which in affect could mean the ultimate prize."

"What now?"

His phone rang from below before he had the chance to respond.

"One moment," Heiji said after checking the incoming number. "I better take this."

"Who is it," Rick asked out of curiosity. "The commissioner?"

"Just an off to the side assignment." Heiji replied before turning for the opposite wall.

He immediately brought the phone to his ear before answering the call.

"It's Lonard, I have an update for you."

The signal became stronger the closer they got, still showing no sign of movement. This only kept him more alert for anything to come.

"Any change in his position?"

"No, he still seems to be sitting it out in the same location," Conan replied. "Makes you wonder what he's up to."

"I don't like it."

"You actually think he might know someone has caught onto his trail?"

"Why else would he be sitting still?"

"I guess we're about to find out, we're almost there."

"Wait, we better make a plan for an approachment," Tim said. "The last thing we want is a casualty."

"I don't think there will be cause for concern if I move in alone."

"We still don't know exactly where he is," Tim said. "For all we know he could be camping it out in one of the buildings here with a rifle in hand."

"You're thinking way to into this." Conan said as they continued to walk.

"How close are we now?"

"Less than fifteen yards away." Conan replied before slowing it up.

He stopped after reaching the front of an apartment building, seeing that they were now in the red zone of things.

"Wait here."

"Where are you going?"

"I'm going to move in a little closer, there's a light pole right over there," Conan said pointing to the left. "I'll take cover there before moving in any closer."

"You sure about this?"

"As long as you watch my blind side."

"I'll see to it."

Without further ado he turned for the other side, heading straight for the light pole just as he said he would. He leaned to it once there, checking his location versus that of where the tracer was.

"According to the tracker he should be directly behind a little over ten yards from this spot."

He peaked around the pole to see an alley in the wait. He then took a deep breath, taking a step away from the light pole as he made his way in that direction.

"Shinichi, wait." Tim whispered from where he stood.

He had already made up his decision, paying no mind to what was said as he carried on. He kept a straight face, resting his hands into his pocket to look as casual as possible. The signal continued to heighten, leading him further into the unknown of the alley. It lead him all the way near the back, coming to find the signal was coming from a garbage bin.

"There's no way he'd be hiding it out here, he must have dumped the clothes."

There was only one way of finding out. He lifted the top open, coming to find the clothes that were worn by the man along with the tracer laying there.

"Just as I thought, he ditched the clothes," Conan said. "That puts us right back where we started."

He reached in, removing the tracer from the shirt before turning back from where he had come.

"The coast is clear," Conan loudly spoke. "He's not here, only the clothes and the tracer were left behind."

It took all but a few moments for him to appear from around the corner. He made his way toward him, stopping halfway through the alley. There was something wrong, he could see it in his eyes. He chose not to say anything, at least not for the first seconds that passed. He watched as he pulled out a small square shaped device from his jacket before pressing down to it.

"What is that?" Conan asked.

He didn't answer at first, letting a little extra time go by before looking up to him once again.

"It's a signal disrupter."

"Signal disrupter," Conan questioned. "Why?"

"We've been had."

"What do you mean?"

"The guy you planted a tracer on must have found out about it relatively quickly, he set up a video camera to the wall right behind." Tim pointed.

He looked into the direction pointed out, and there it was, clamped down to the side of a window.

"I can't believe it."

"This guy is much more organized than we originally thought." Tim said reaching up to grab the small camera.

"Are you sure it was him who set it up?"

"Now I do," Tim said bringing the camera into his possession. "There's a wire attached enabling for wireless viewing."

"How far from here are we talking?"

"Sixty, a little over a hundred yards maybe," Tim replied. "Less than a mile for sure."

"How did you know that it was there?"

"The shade," Tim said pointing to the shaded area of the alley. "Light from the sun projected off of the lenses which gave me the heads up."

"How did you know there was a wired feed before using that signal disrupter?"

"I didn't," Tim admitted. "I used it in case there was."

"Smart thinking," Conan said. "Are you saying they didn't get a clear shot of your face?"

"Correct, only one of my backside."

"I see."

"Whoever this guy is now has a clear shot of you, not that he's unfamiliar with you since the two of you have met on more than one occasion."

"But now he probably knows I was the one to plant that tracer," Conan said. "Fortunately that's all he got, thankfully he didn't get a good shot of you."

"We need to be really careful with this from here on out," Tim said. "The bad part about this is this guy now has more on us than we do on him."

"Not necessarily," Conan said. "Let's not forget I got a distinctive look at him as well, good enough to produce a sketch."

"Point taken."

"What about the camera?"

"I'll take it with me, though I doubt there will be anything to find," Tim said checking the time. "And it looks like we're going to be late for our appointment at the Futures Building, Bruce isn't going to be pleased?"

"For being late or for what occurred here?"

"Double jeopardy."

"You want me to explain?"

"No, I think it'd be better if I did the talking," Tim replied stashing the camera away. "Come on, we better get moving before the real rush hits."

"Right behind you." Conan said following from behind.

Six was now fast approaching, only twenty five minutes remaining before the scheduled time. He watched as the room continued to fill with those in attendance. The longer this went on the more impatient he became.

"I guess I'm the only one who remembers the importance of tonights proceedings."

Following up on his train of thought was the ring of his phone from in his pocket.

"Please let it be who I think it is."

He reached down to grab it, answering almost immediately after bringing it to his ear.

"Hello."

"It's Dick."

"Where are you?" Heiji asked.

"Just about ready to get into position," Dick replied. "How are things looking from your end?"

"Besides the absence of the others, relatively normal."

"Bruce should be there soon, I just spoke with him a minute ago," Dick informed. "Have you tried contacting the others?"

"Neither responded."

"I'll try giving them a ring myself, in the mean time sit tight and stay focused," Dick said. "There's no telling when this guy will make his move."

"You're telling me, it's been a hassle looking out for things on my own till this point," Heiji said. "Of course there's the hired guards and the officers sent in by Gordon, but it would be nice to get the other guys involved as soon as possible."

"I'll see to it, stay sharp," Dick said. "You'll hear back from me soon enough."

"Loud and clear."

He put an end to the transmission, bringing his complete focus back to the task at hand. He put the phone away before looking across the room to see Rick heading toward him.

"Where did you run off to?"

"Just checked in with the guys monitoring the front and back entrances, everything is clear thus far," Rick replied. "No sign anyone of suspicions nature entering."

"And I don't think there will be, whoever wrote the riddle is probably already registered to the guest list."

"Have you had a look at the list yourself?"

"Yes, but at this point they're all just names," Heiji said. "We don't exactly have enough time to run a background check on each and everyone attending."

"You don't say," Rick said checking his watch. "We have less than an hour until the presentation begins."

"There's still a margin of time before now and then, giving us a small time frame to try and figure what they're after."

"Sounds to me like you're working another case." Someone spoke from behind.

He turned at the sound of the voice, coming to find a familiar face.

"Hello Heiji Hattori."

"Matthew Thompson right, or is it that you preferred Matt?"

"So you do remember me, I'm pleased."

"You know each other?" Rick asked.

"Yea, we met at the City hall days ago." Heiji confirmed.

"I couldn't help but over hear the two of you talking," Matt admitted. "Is there something going on?"

"We believe so, and that is all I'm entitled to say." Heiji replied.

"I fully understand."

"What about you," Heiji asked. "Where is the rest of your crew, are you here alone?"

"Not quite, Aldon Boomer plans to come as well," Matt replied. "Last we spoke he was on his way."

"When was that?"

"About twenty minutes ago," Matt replied. "But with the traffic on this side of town I'd give it a couple more before he makes an appearance."

"Spoken for the truth." Rick commented.

"I'd hate to interrupt what you've got going, so I'll go find amusement elsewhere until the showing begins."

"I'll catch you later then."

Before he could make a move for the other side of the room a loud sound could be heard peering in through the walls, a sound similar to that of a helicopter finding its way down to ground levels. High pitches of joy soon followed, pitching through the halls all the way into the room where they stood.

"What's going on out there?" Heiji questioned.

"I think that one's pretty self explanatory," Matthew stated. "It can only be the arrival of Gotham's favorite son."

"And who might that be?"

"The Bruce Wayne himself," Matthew replied. "Don't tell me you've forgotten him already, he was attending the town hall meet along with us the other night."

"Bruce Wayne, yes of course," Heiji said. "How could I forget, he was one of the many interviewed in the questioning process."

The voices and and excitement only heightened with the seconds that followed. There prediction of his arrival was proven correct in the short time to come, all eyes looking to the left side of the room upon him entering.

"That's Wayne alright, his popularity always seems to stay intact," Matthew said taking a step forward. "If you don't mind I'd like to go over and give him a proper greeting."

"Be my guest," Rick said. "You can do it for the all of us."

"Will do," Matthew said. "See you gentlemen around."

With that he made his way forward, carefully making his way through the crowd to the other side of the room.

"Grayson and the kid are already in place, and Bruce has arrived," Heiji thought. "That only leaves the other two, where they are is anyones guess."

He was determined to answer that very question. Just as he reached for his phone it ringed once again, not hesitating to answer.

"It's me again."

"Any luck getting into contact with any of the others?"

"They're still unresponsive," Dick replied. "Whatever they're tangled in must require a set of distance, I'm sure they'll reach us when all is cleared."

"I'll try asking Bruce, he just arrived a few moments ago."

"Yea, I saw the Wayne helicopter pass by not too long ago," Dick said. "Keep me updated on anything going on in there, I'll move in if need be."

"That's the plan."

"Good, then I'll leave it to you and the others," Dick said. "Gotta go."

He hung up with those final words spoken, placing his phone back into the security of his pocket before making a move for the other side of the room.

"Where are you headed off to now?" Rick asked taking notice of this.

"I have to speak with someone, I won't be long."

"Remember to keep your eyes peeled for any ongoing activity."

"No worries," Heiji assured. "I haven't lost sight of the importance of our task, this will take all but a moment."

"Your claim is well trusted, I'll keep an eye on things on this side of the room."

"Thanks."

He carefully moved through the crowd, closing in with each step taken. He finally reached him, joining the several others who were crowded around.

"Well look who it is," Bruce said taking notice of him almost instantly. "I'm glad to see you were able to make it."

"That was always the plan remember?"

"Oh yes, that's right."

"Wayne, I wasn't expecting you so soon," A man dressed in a suit of white said joining the fray. "I was told you wouldn't arrive until close to seven."

"I had a change in plan Mr. Irvin."

"Works out for the better, there's actually a couple guys I'd like you to meet."

"In time, I have some preparations to see to first."

"Of course, I'll catch up with you at a more convent time."

"I'll keep an eye out for you." Bruce said watching as he turned for the other end of the room.

"Bruce," Heiji said redirecting his attention. "I haven't been able to get ahold of Drake, any luck with you?"

"Oh.. yes, he'll be here soon," Bruce replied. "There's just a little something he had to, to take care of."

"I figured that much," Heiji said. "I wonder why he didn't call and let me know."

"Why don't you ask him when he arrives detective, I'm sure he'll give you the answer to that," Bruce said. "Now if you would, I have some important matters to see through."

"Wait, what about our?"

There was no use in talking on any further. He watched as he wrapped his arm around a woman who followed him to the far side of the room, still accompanied by the few who had greeted him upon his arrival.

"Detective... when does he refer to me by that?"

He continued to watch him from afar, taking note of his every move from his departure to the other side of the room.

"What's he doing, he doesn't seem to be taking our task very seriously," Heiji said. "Unless of course this is an act of his to deeply blend in with the other guests, which does pose for advantage on our side."

He left it as that for the time being, focusing his attention to all other areas of the room. He began to walk along once more, moving at a pace matched with everyone else's. Rick could be seen standing under a vent across the room, clearly scaling the room for any suspicious activity as he was in the process of doing. He stopped after circling half the room, finding he was now in an ideal location to keep an eye on most of what could possibly take shape. He remained there for several minutes to come, watching as someone took to the stage straight ahead for the introduction speech.

"It's ten after six, where are they?"

This question lingered on as he continued to wait.

"Didn't recognize you without that cap of yours." Someone spoke from behind.

He turned at the sound of the familiar voice. There she was, standing in a black dress with a matching fitted flat hat atop her head.

"Selina," Heiji said. "Selina Kyle."

"Pleasure you remember me."

"What are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same," Selina replied. "You've been up and down the room since you arrived."

"With good reason."

"I bet."

"How did you know my name?"

"Pardon?"

"The first we met at Starlest you knew my name without any mention of it," Heiji clarified. "You also disappeared around the time the diamonds were stolen from that glass case, the same ones you had been talking about before the incident occurred."

"I thought they caught the person responsible for that."

"No, they haven't."

"Tells you how much I follow the news." Selina said pushing away from the wall.

"Where did you disappear off to after we talked?"

"Are you suspecting me?"

"Should I be?"

"I had to leave on short notice, I received an emergency call from the fire station about a toxic leakage around my apartment complex," Selina informed. "You can check my phone records if you don't believe me."

He felt a tap at his shoulder, turning to face someone he had never encountered before.

"Excuse me sir, but someone has asked to speak with you."

"With me?" Heiji asked.

"Yes, he said it was important." The young woman replied.

"And who might that be?"

"That little boy," She replied. "He's the only one of that age that I believe is in attendance."

"Where did you see him?"

"He should still be next to the door leading into this room, that's where he pointed you out to me."

"Thanks, I'll go look into this right away." Heiji said before heading for that direction

"Does that mean we're done?"

He turned back to face her, that same astute look still present across her face.

"Yea, I'm sorry."

"Don't be, after all you have an investigation to run."

"How did you.."

"You questioning me about what happened the other day at Starlest and your obvious moping around tonight tells it all," Selina said cutting him off. "It doesn't take a detective to figure what you're doing here."

"Fair enough," Heiji said. "But that still doesn't answer how you knew my name."

"You're one for questions aren't you?"

"Only if necessary."

"I thought you might say that."

The sound of a ring interrupted, taking only a couple moments to find it was none other than her own phone from below.

"We'll have to continue this another time," Selina said. "This is an important call that I must take."

"Of course."

She stepped away while answering the phone. He turned for the other side of the room in that very moment, heading in the direction he was told he was needed. Most everyone had their eyes fixated to the stage, now listening to the second speaker to take the stage.

"She's too comfortable.. confident, I had better continue to keep an eye on her."

He slowly moved along, not wanting to disturb anyone in his path. It didn't take long for him to sight the two of them, joining the pair within the next steps taken.

"Where in the world have you two been, you didn't answer when I called."

"We got stuck up with a little something." Tim informed.

"How do we look," Conan asked. "We picked these suits up on the fly."

"Presentable," Heiji replied. "Now onto what happened."

"The same man I crossed paths with on the bus nights ago was at the theme park we were investigating," Conan informed. "Turns out he had an agenda of his own."

"What happened?"

"Long story short, he's increased his body count by one," Tim replied. "And now has a visual of the two of us."

"How did that happen?"

"Another story to tell."

"That must mean he knows we're onto him."

"Unfortunately, yes," Tim answered. "Assuming he was the one to plant the camera."

"Camera?"

"We'll explain later," Conan said. "How have things gone here thus far?"

"One person of interest," Heiji replied. "Other than that everything's been straight forward."

"Who should we be looking at?" Tim asked scouring the room.

"Ms. Kyle."

"Didn't expect her to be here."

"Nor did I."

"Am I to assume that was the woman you were speaking with just now?" Conan asked.

"That'd be the one."

"Good, then you keep an eye on her," Tim instructed. "Shinichi and I will focus our sights to everything else."

"Before you go I think you had better have a word with Bruce."

"Why?" Tim asked a bit surprised by this.

"I spoke with him when he arrived, something seemed odd," Heiji stated. "Like something was wrong."

"What do you mean?"

"Like when I asked about your whereabouts, he was a little hesitant in his response."

"Hmm, I'll speak with him when the chance presents itself," Tim said in response to this. "In the mean time we better get started."

"No argument there."

"Here, I already gave a pair to Shinichi in the case things do flip a one eighty on us."

He looked down to what was handed to him, raising it up to see what appeared to be some type of goggles.

"What's this for?"

"Night vision," Tim replied. "There's always the possibility of a staged black out, especially if the thief plans to get away with a prized item undetected."

"The goggles are a form of insurance so to speak." Conan added.

"Sounds simple enough."

"Alright, I'll take the east side of the room," Tim said. "Shinichi, the west is yours."

"And me?"

"You're keeping an eye on Selina remember, that's a whole task in itself."

"I'm curious as to what you means by that."

"Stay sharp, that's all that is required of you," Tim replied. "Of us all."

"I've already set my phone to vibrate, I think it'd be best if you two did the same," Conan said. "That way if we need to contact one another through phone it won't cause a scene."

"Agreed," Tim said. "Especially if someone is in the middle of a speech."

"So this is it huh, anything else we should know before we part ways?" Heiji asked.

"That's it, what happens next squarely falls on us," Tim replied. "Let's not disappoint."

"Not once did that cross my mind." Conan thought as he made his way further to the west side of the room.

Everything seemed normal on his initial look of things. This prompted him to dig deeper, looking to the expressions showcased across their faces to the posture everyone showed. Everything was clear in that regard as well.

"Whoever plans to rob this place isn't showing any signs, that must be a sign of comfortability," Conan said. "Or.. or could it be we're not looking out for the right person?"

In his mind this was something he felt needed the time of thought, taking all but a few moments for his mind to revert back to the riddle. It wasn't the individual messages that crossed his mind, but the constant theme that covered it as a whole.

"It's all about deception, from the beginning and most likely to the end," Conan thought as he looked to those towered around him. "What could the thief possibly have up their sleeve that fits the criteria?"

All that came to a halt as he looked to the stage ahead to see Bruce had taken to the center, which resulted in a positive response from most.

"Thank you, I thank you all for the warm hospitality I've received since arriving," Bruce began. "I'd first like to direct everyones attention to the man standing beside me, Armond Stanton, CEO of the Futures Building."

"I'm glad to be joined by you all," Armond commented. "This facility wasn't built for the intent of today or next week, but for the future which is always so forthcoming."

"Which is why I agreed to speak here on behalf of the cause," Bruce said. "I will also be the first to reveal one of the new devices this company has been working on for the past year."

He focused his attention to a box laid out to the side of the podium, reaching inside to pull out a triangular shaped device.

"I wonder what that is?" Heiji thought.

"This here is the beginning of what is to come," Bruce said setting it to the podium. "The very item that signifies what this company plans to achieve, the one device that symbolizes all other production."

He froze at this statement, something subtle clicking from within.

"misdirection Red (1).. could this be it, the 1," Heiji thought. "Could this in fact be the item referred to in the riddle?"

He looked back to the stage, only to hear the sound of a loud pop ring from all sides. Most everyone reacted by covering their ears. This was it, the moment had finally come, but in no way was he prepared for what happened next. Unaware of where it came, a flash of light streaked across the room, blinding anyone who looked on. He brought a hand to his eye in the wake of it all, slowly removing it to find his vision to be jittered about. This lasted for seconds to come; rubbing his eyes as his vision slowly began to mellow back into place.

"What the hell just happened?" One questioned from the near distance.

"I was just about to ask the same thing." Another spoke.

Many other complaints followed in the seconds that came. He paid no mind to this, looking straight ahead to the podium to see the device that had been set there was now gone, replaced by a red diamond of beauty.

"I don't believe it," Heiji said. "That device is gone."

It didn't take long for the others to notice this as well after regaining their stance on the matter. Bruce looked down at the diamond laid out before him in shock, turning to Armond who was just as surprised.

"What just happened?" Bruce asked.

"Our four million dollar hand held device is now gone," Armond replied. "We need to contact the police, seal all exits, no one is to leave."

Those who stood amongst the crowd were as confused as ever, some more verbal than the others.

"Hey, what's going on," A man standing near the front spat. "What was that bright flash of light all about?"

"We're looking into that as we speak," Armond replied. "In no way was that planned."

"This diamond, where could it have come from." Bruce questioned.

"Whoever took the device must have switched it out," Armond said in response. "The question is, why?"

He still stood at the west side of the room, his vision finally settling in after a small period of time.

"So much for the night vision goggles." Conan thought with the roll of his eyes.

He looked to the stage, coming to realize the device that had been there was now gone, replaced by a diamond that seemingly captivated the sights of everyone in the room.

"Can't say I saw this coming."

He paused within that moment, feeling there was a connection.

"for the Diamonds eye is for all to see," Conan said thinking back to the riddle. "This must be the first part of their trick, I'm certain whoever took the diamond is still amongst us.. but who?"

He searched the room once more, most everyone he laid an eye to more rattled than anything from what had happened.

"Everything seems normal considering the circumstances," Conan said. "I've observed all guests, could it potentially be one of the employees who staged this?"

He looked to the stage once again, seeing a group of security guards had taken to the center stage of things.

"Looks like the investigation is underway," Conan said. "Speaking of which, where did Bruce run off to, he was there moment ago."

He checked the surrounding area, finding no sign of him there either.

"Wait, could it be?"

He stood in place, looking around the room to try and relocate her position.

"Great, I lost her." Heiji said.

"Lost who?" Tim asked stepping up to his side.

"What are you doing, aren't you watching things on the right side of the room?"

"No one has shown any signs to call for our attention, besides the first move has already been made," Tim said. "It's time we changed up in strategy."

"Yea no kidding."

"What they were after was obviously that device Bruce was showcasing," Heiji said. "I discovered that while in the middle of his speech."

"As did I," Tim said. "Which bothered me about it."

"What do you mean?"

"If I recall Bruce had no idea what they would be presenting tonight."

"Yea, so?"

"When he was up there speaking I got the impression he was very familiar with the material, like he had been briefed ahead of time."

"Maybe he did."

"Not to the level of familiarity he showcased in a matter of minutes."

"You make a good point."

"You said something seemed strange about him when he arrived, right?"

"What are you implying?"

He didn't reply, simply looking to the stage to find he was nowhere to be seen.

"Don't tell me," Heiji said. "You're thinking."

"We need to find him, and now."

Before either could make a move the sound of a phone rang from below.

"It's mine." Tim said reaching down for it.

He answered the phone on contact, his claims confirmed by the sound of his voice.

"I just arrived, I'm on my way down the hall now, anything I should know about concerning the situation thus far?"

"Bruce?"

"You sound surprised, is everything alright?"

"No it's not," Tim replied. "We have a serious situation."

"I'll be right there."

He hung up, looking to Heiji who did the same in return.

"Yea, you were right to worry," Tim said. "That man who took the stage wasn't Bruce."

"How do you know?"

"I just spoke with him, he's on his way now."

"If that wasn't him, then who?"

"Stay here," Tim instructed. "I'm going after our imposter."

He took off before anything further could be said, heading straight for the stage. He wasn't left alone for long, joined by Conan who came running to his side.

"We have a problem."

"Is this under the lines of Bruce not being what he seems?"

"So you figured it out too."

"It was actually Tim who made the claim," Heiji said. "He went to go and confront the look alike as we speak."

"I guess it's our job to make sure they don't try and re-route past us."

"How did you know that it wasn't Bruce?" Heiji questioned

"That blinding flash of light," Conan replied. "Given the circumstances and our knowledge of a potential thief don't you think he'd have tightly held onto the object in hand, to the point where no one could disarm it from him?"

"I see."

"He was the only one near the podium who could have set the diamond there and hid that device away within the security of his jacket in such a short amount of time," Conan continued. "And with everyone blinded for those very few moments it gave him the time he needed."

"What made you become suspicious?"

"Your earlier comments about him seeming off," Conan replied. "That coupled in with everything I just said along with the riddle."

"The riddle?"

"The thief’s motto has been deception, what better way to deceive us all then by taking the face of one of this city’s finest."

"You really put some thought into that didn't you?"

"Let's just hope Tim gets to them in time."

He had made his way to the stage, no one clear as to where the imposer had gone off to. He finally approached Armond Stanton who was nervously pacing in one area of the stage.

"Mr. Stanton," Tim said stopping in front of him. "Would you happen to know where Bruce went to after his short lived speech?”

"Back stage," Armond replied looking to him. "He said his eyes were still bothering him."

"Mind if I go back and check on him?"

"Fine by me, as long as you're escorted by one of the security guards."

"Well understood."

"Very well."

He looked to one of the guards, signaling for him to come to his side. It took all but a few seconds for him to walk over.

"Could you escort our good friend here back stage, he wishes to speak with Mr. Wayne."

"Yes of course," The guard said turning toward him. "Right this way."

He followed him past the curtain that concealed a small set of stairs which lead to the lower levels. He followed him down, stopping once reaching the door at the bottom of the stairs.

"This is it, the room I saw him enter."

"Thanks."

He opened the door, greeted by a cool chill that drifted by the two. What they saw laying on the ground left them in a state of shock. The suit that had been worn along with a latex mask could be seen in the center of the room.

"What in the world?"

"Someone was posing is Bruce Wayne."

"I can clearly see that."

"Whoever it was is now gone, you had better go and inform Mr. Stanton."

"How can you be so sure of this?"

"The opened window," Tim said pointing to the right corner of the room. "There's not many who couldn't exit through there."

"I don't believe this." The guard said taking off.

Time was now slim and he knew it. He pressed down to the codec piece inserted in his ear, contacting him immediately.

"Please tell me you have something, things have been that of a bore these last thirty minutes."

"That all might change, someone might be headed out."

"From where?"

"The Futures Building, don't take your eyes off of it," Tim said. "And report back to me if you do indeed come across something."

"I'll leave that option open, Robin out."

The transmission ended with that.

"Better go and let the others know what's going on."

He took off in the heat of things, heading back into the direction he had come. He returned to the stage to see Armond was already being informed about the situation. He skimmed over the crowd, quickly finding where the two of them stood. He dropped down from the stage, wasting no time in rejoining the two.

"So what's the verdict?" Heiji asked.

"Too late," Tim replied. "Whoever orchestrated this escaped through a window, but no worriers I've already got Damian keeping an eye on the situation."

"I'm even more worried than I was before." Conan mumbled.

"What about Selina," Tim asked. "Have you relocated her yet?"

"Been looking," Heiji replied. "Can't seem to single her out."

The ear piece buzzed, informing him of an incoming message.

"What do you have?" Tim asked pressing down to the ear piece.

"Someone's defiantly on the roof, I can see them from here." Robin informed.

"We can't seem to pin point Selina's location, would you say this figure resembles her?"

"The cat lady Selina?"

"Yea."

"Don't think so." Robin replied.

"Are you sure?"

"When's the last time you saw her sporting a cape?"

"A cape," Tim questioned. "Stay put I don't want you making any further moves until."

His message was cut short by the disconnection of the transmission.

"I don't believe it."

"What happened?" Heiji asked.

"The darn kid just cut off our link," Tim replied. "I better call Dick and inform him about the situation."

"Before you do that, I'd like to know exactly what is going on."

They turned at the sound of his voice, coming to find Bruce had finally arrived. The look on his face said it all, nothing but business.

"Alright Tim," Conan said stepping aside. "You said you'd handle the talking."

He watched from afar, waiting for their next move to be made before springing in with one of his own. The figure held something into the air as if to examine it. What it was, was unclear to him. This left them in a state with their sights set to something else other than their surroundings, leaving it open for him to move in undetected. But that's not the approach he had in mind. He lunged from where he stood, free falling with an air diving glide toward the figure standing atop the Futures Building. He landed a few feet behind with a loud thump, springing to his feet almost immediately. He got a clearer view of the unknown.

"The game ends here, place the item down and hands in the air."

He received no response at his first attempt, stepping in closer to further his point.

"Let me guess, you have hearing disability?"

"I was not expecting any company tonight." A soft and comforting voice spoke in return.

"Funny that you should say, being that you're the one who sent out that invitation for many to have."

"Yet you're the only one to attend, or are there to be more?"

"I'm not here to carry conversation," Robin stated. "Who are you?"

"I was wondering the same," The dark figure replied turning to face him. "By the looks of your apparel I'd associate you with some kind of Robin Hood."

"Minus the hood and you've got a winner."

"Robin it is."

"Enough, you have one last chance to answer to me thief," Robin snapped. "If you don't I can't fully be held accountable for what happens to you next."

"My what a brash one you are, but if you're going to address me by name I'd advice to get it right," The figure said moving toward him. "For the new kid is in town."

He stepped out into the light generated from the moon, smiling down at him with a pleased look in his eye.

"Joy meeting you Robin," He said stopping a few feet across from him. "Call me Kaito Kid."

To Be Continued