Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ Vindicated ❯ There Is Only One Truth ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Vindicated

 

Disclaimers: I do not nor ever will own Conan or Jimmy and co. It’s a cruel sad world, isn’t it?

 

I decided, since Going Down is at a decent stopping point- to continue this story. I really want to get to the juicy action. Right now it’s being kind of dull.

 

I promise that this story will start getting interesting real soon. Hopefully- this chapter will go fast. We need to get to main plot instead of shooting around the bush.

Onward with the next chapter!

-LAST TIME ON VINDICATED-

He was tired of this game that he had to play.

“Conan? What’s a matter? You look upset.”

“Rachel... What if- what if Jimmy never came back?”

“I’d wait forever.”

He was just an actor leaving his role on stage.

One bullet, two bullet, three bullet, four.

You, the lips moved.

And by the time Rachel had returned with soup- Conan had fallen asleep.

XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxX

Chapter Five: There Is Only One Truth

XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxX

"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

-Conan Doyle

---

Morning came softly- lining the apartment with a kind glow. It chased away the lingering nightmares with its overwhelming strength. When, at last, the sunlight was able to stretch itself over the couch, it was already well past ten o’clock.

Richard’s consciousness surfaced from a pleasant dream, of holding another woman he couldn’t have, very reluctantly. He waited quietly in the shields of his shut eyelids- not quite ready to wake and face a sober morning.

Attempting to pull himself back into the imaginary, Richard shifted. But something hindered his movement.

The shock hit Richard like a ton of bricks. He felt again- thumbing the shoulder that was definitely not his own. The frame was delicate and young. Richard found his heart racing- almost afraid to open his eyes and find it another false dream.

Grinning like an idiot- he opened his eyes. Almost immediately- his smile disappeared.

Conan was leaning against him- in a deep undisturbed slumber. His bangs were pushed to one side- revealing the band-aid, the smirking taunt of a magician, at the elder detective. Richard sighed in deep disappointment and resisted the urge to push the child to the floor.

The digital clock blinked 10:57 from the sun drenched desktop. Richard frowned and then looked to the chair across from him- where Rachel rested softly. Her cheek pressed delicately against her shoulder- sleeping upright and quiet.

It was almost as if she realized he was watching her- for she suddenly blinked and awoke.

“Otousan,” She smiled. “Ah. You’re awake.”

“And you’re late,” Richard frowned nodding over his shoulder to the clock.

Her face blanched as she quickly jumped to her feet. “Oh no! Is that really the time?!”

“Ah, don’t worry about it,” Richard yawned. “I’ll call you in at school. But-...” He frowned eying her peculiarly. “What’s the occasion?”

“No occasion,” Rachel stretched- a little more relaxed at her father’s generous offer. “Conan wasn’t feeling well last night.”

Her face darkened as she eyed the sleeping child. Richard looked to Conan too- not so surprised by Conan’s illness. The boy slept onward, unlike Rachel, completely unaware that he had a audience.

“He fell down the stairs last night.”

“Down the stairs?” Richard repeated, only mildly concerned. “Why? Was he goofing off?”

“No,” her frown deepened. “He said he was fine but I was worried for him. I went to get him something to eat and he fell down the stairs. A nasty fall- right down the stairs.”

“Why were you worried?” Richard inquired. “And what do you mean? He just randomly took a tumble down the stairs?”

“He wasn’t acting well. He was quiet and asking strange questions. I was just worried- that’s all,” Rachel sputtered defensively, “That and he kept- iunno. When he fell he had the strangest expression on his face... like- he meant to fall.”

Rachel knotted her hands deep into her lap- her face flushed a hot pink. She shook her head hastily and responded to the silence with a quick, “No. I’m just exaggerating. He couldn’t- why would Conan-kun purposely fall down the stairs?”

Her father didn’t answer her- but instead cast a look at the child beside him. Conan slept peacefully onward and Richard found his frown sagging even farther down.

“Rachel?” He said in calculation. “Did he fall asleep after he fell down the stairs?”

“Uh- Yes, he did.”

“Dammit!” Richard suddenly spat harshly. “He could have had a concussion! Rachel! You should never let a person fall asleep after a head injury like that!!!”

“But- But I checked and-!”

Rachel’s stammers went unheard. She had never seen her father so upset. He quickly rose and lifted Conan’s light body up in his arms. His face twisted with a mixture of anger and urgency, Richard ordered for his daughter to help him call a taxi.

“What for... Dad?!” Rachel cried, chasing her father out the door in her slippers.

“We have to take Conan to the hospital!” Richard spat, hurrying down the apartment steps. “He’s sleeping far too deeply! He may be in a coma!”

Rachel’s face blanched with fear. Frozen on the last step of the apartment complex, she watched as her father frantically tried to catch a taxi driver’s attention.

And in his haste, Richard tossed Conan’s head just a bit but just enough. Slowly the blue eyes opened, and looked up in annoyance at their captor.

Richard froze- finally able to catch a taxi- and met Conan’s gaze.

“Ojisan. What are you doing?” Conan muttered grumpily from his awkward perch.

Rachel couldn’t help it. It was just too bizarre a scene. Before either of them could regain their wits, Rachel burst out into a fit of laughter.

That didn’t improve their moods any.

---

He put on his biggest smile. It didn’t fool Rachel though.

“Let me see the thermometer, Conan.”

“Oh come on, Rachel-oneesan. Even if I did have a fever you wouldn’t let me go.”

She gave him that look. The look he despised so much. Grumpily, Conan handed the object over.

She glanced over the temperature and frowned, “Well you still have a slight fever...”

“Slight! Slight! I won’t die if I go to school!” Conan riposted. “Please Rachel-oneechan! You have to let me go!”

The teenager smiled and ruffled back his bangs- just because she knew he hated it.

“Sure. You can go to school, Conan-kun.”

The triumph on Conan’s face made Rachel smile all the more. He had only been bedridden a day and he acted as if he was jailed for years. His restlessness reminded her so much of a certain detective she had once known.

I wonder if Tetra has found him yet. Does Jimmy even know he has a stalker?

Conan strapped on his book bag with amazing haste- and then proceeded to stuff his feet into his new sneakers. Rachel only chuckled- already prepared for the morning’s departure,

“I’m not gonna leave you, Conan-kun.”

“Sure,” Conan retorted- having a rather fierce argument with his left foot and shoe. “You say that now.”

The shoe finally fit- and like Cinderella and her Prince they made their way to the exit.

Surrounded in laughter and happiness, Conan bounded out the door at Rachel’s side. He still wanted her- He still cared. But for the moment- just the moment, Conan was glad just to be alive. And glad just to be with her.

Wrapped up in the promise of a new day- Conan almost didn’t see her standing there. And even as they turned he still didn’t notice, save for the spot she caught in corner of his eye. But when Conan did, notice, all other things melted away. And then the teen-turned-kid realized, with a start, that his happiness might soon be short lived.

Tetra brushed past him on her way into the Detective Agency. Conan watched her- eyes wide and face pale. An outsider, with enough clues and persistence, could figure it out all too well. Tetra was this persistent outsider. And this truth was far too simple and easy to miss- even if it did seemed somewhat improbable.

She moved with such bold determination- her elegant body looking out of place. Tetra didn’t see Conan. She only saw what lay inside the Detective office. What answers she might get. What money would reel in at her discovery. What lives she could ruin.

Interviews. She’s interviewing everyone Jimmy knows- everyone I know.

“Conan-kun. Come on. We’ll be late.”

“Coming.” Conan chirped- eyes still nervously on the Detective Agency.

Damn. It’s all up to you, Ojisan. Don’t say anything too suspicious.

Conan turned and caught up with his teenage guardian. But the worry was still far from leaving his mind.

---

It didn’t leave the whole day. Bothering him relentlessly through math problems and English verses. At the end of the day he hardly waited for Rachel to keep pace. He had to know what was revealed- exactly how much a secret he had left.

He had to know where he stood.

He had to know- if Rachel would know sooner than he’d like. Sooner than was safe.

Damn all meddling reporters... Damn them all.

“Ojisan! We’re home!” Conan practically shouted through aspirated gasps.

The door swung open and nearly off it’s hinges at it’s rude awakening. Rachel caught it before it decided to recoil back upon the nine year old. Her breath was short too, unable to formulate much of a greeting to the detective somewhere in the apartment.

“Otousan? Where are you?” She was finally able to sputter.

“Here.”

Both pairs of eyes turned to see Richard- slumped on his desk skimming through a binder full of pictures. Conan figured he had never see the man so sober before.

His eyes were soft yet determined at the same time. The boy did a somewhat awkward bounce when removing his shoes so as to get a better view of what was written on the binder’s cover. Conan’s heart did a flip in his chest as he saw what exactly the old man was looking through.

Photo albums.

No! No! It can’t possibly be! She couldn’t have- could she?!

“Otousan? What are you doing?” Rachel asked innocently- coming up beside her father.

Richard quickly shut the binder and stuffed out of her line sight. Beneath, Conan could just make out forms of important looking value.

“Studying some new case files,” Richard cast her a funny stare. “Miss Tetra came to see me today. About Jimmy-san.”

“Really now?” Rachel asked, sitting down in a seat that Tetra herself might have taken. “What did she ask?”

“The normal questions you would inquire about missing persons.” Richard shrugged.

He was still eyeing her funny. But not eyeing Conan. Not even noticing Conan. The boy came closer- as if in fear of waking the lion.

Did he really know? Why is acting so funny? Of course he knows- Conan blanched. He just doesn’t want to break Rachel’s heart. Oh damn! The visions! They were true! Agh!

Conan pulled at his hair roughly still not drawing enough attention to himself. I sound like Heiji! Shoot me! Somebody, please, just shoot me!

“She asked me a lot of questions about you and him.”

Both Conan and Rachel looked up at that.

“Questions- about me and Jimmy?” Rachel inquired saving Conan the need.

“Yeah,” Richard smiled. “I had a hard time answering them. Rachel- I know that you and Jimmy grew up together but... How close are you two?”

Rachel and Conan both went bright red at that. In spite of himself, Conan even looked to Rachel for an answer.

“Hm.” Rachel replied fighting off her embarrassment. “Just friends. Just real good friends, dad.”

She cast Conan a glare as if daring him to correct her. Conan only slunk away- reassuring her secret was safe.

“She’s going to question that,” Richard frowned leaning back in his arm chair. “When you go next.”

“What?!” Both kids responded in bewilderment.

“She is.” Richard nodded, finally giving Conan a look. “You might want to be prepared.”

Conan let off a visible shiver. Those eyes were on him. Never had they been so directly on him- calculating and searching his face for flaws. Conan held his breath. He could almost see the lips- forming the word he never wanted to actually hear.

“I gotta go!” Conan announced suddenly making way for the door.

“Con-?!”

“I just remembered I was supposed to go talk-er... play with Ai-chan today. I’ll be back later!” Conan waved behind him- avoiding the eyes that followed him out.

---

“What do you mean she talked to you too!”

“Exactly what I said, Jimmy.” Agasa smiled softly trying to straiten bookshelf that looked beyond repair.

Agasa had tested another experiment- in his living room this time. Conan missed out of the details of the invention but it was enough that Conan knew it would explode. It always exploded. He guessed that he should count their blessings this time. The Professor retained not a scratch and at least most of the smoke had been vacated from the house now.

“Professor!” Conan whined tearing his eyes from the wreckage. “What did you tell her!?”

“Nothing, Jimmy.” Agasa frowned casting a couple of charred items over his shoulder. “Only that you were a old friend of mine and I hadn’t see you for a couple of months. I said it was perfectly normal,” Agasa chirped getting into story mode. “The boy has a tendency to go were the wind takes him. Or cases in our case, right?”

He nudged Conan playfully but the boy did not return the smile. Conan let out a loud huff of frustration and plopped down on the lopsided couch.

His frown deepened at the discomfort. The explosion must have blown one of the feet that used to hold it up.

“Perfect.” Conan sighed leaning forward as the couch leaned with him.

“Jimmy?” Agasa asked in concern, taking the seat beside his detective friend. The couch groaned in response. “Jimmy? What’s this all about? You don’t usually get this bothered by someone asking about you.” 

“That’s just it, Professor. She’s not just asking about me,” Conan sighed. “I think she’s made the old man realize a thing or two about me... and Jimmy.”

“Well... That was bound to happen sooner or later.”

“Wha-?!”

“Well it was, Jimmy,” Agasa sighed softly. “Your parents knew you when you were younger. They could recognize your face. You’re their son. You used to hang around Rachel all the time as a child. It’s only natural that, with all the time Richard’s been with Conan, that he’d start to recognize the Jimmy in you.”

“But he’s a drunk old man!”

“So it took him longer than most.” Agasa frowned. “But the question is not how to make Richard forget- but rather to make you and Richard deal with it. He can’t go telling everyone that Jimmy Kudo is living in his house.”

“He won’t.” Conan frowned, pulling his knees up to his chest. “At least I don’t think he will. He’s managed not to accuse me in front of Rachel.”

“Well there you go.” Agasa smiled. “But know this,” He rose a lecturing finger. “You could be jumping to conclusions. Richard may be suspicious but that doesn’t mean he knows yet. So just lie low. Knowing Richard- it will all be over with the next drink.”

Agasa rose from the couch- lightening it’s burden. He stretched lazily and then offered, “You want something to drink then, Jimmy? I have some tea that will make you feel even better after that head cold of yours.”

“Professor... She’s going to question Rachel soon too.”

Agasa looked over at the boy sitting quietly on the dismembered sofa. His head was resting against his knees- the boy looked absolutely desolate.

I suspect he may need something stronger than tea.

“Rachel too- huh?” Agasa frowned, taking back his seat. “So you think that Miss Tetra will arise some questions in Rachel as well?”

“Yes.” Conan looked round his knees at the Professor. “What should I do?”

“Relax, boy.” Agasa smiled. “Acting rashly will only get you into trouble. Don’t worry so much. We are all still here.”

Conan blinked and looked at the Professor but the man had already continued. Conan drowned out all other words that followed- listening only to that one phrase- over and over.

We are all still here.

What the hell was that supposed to mean?

“Do you want me to borrow the bowtie for awhile? You know- so I can make a few phone calls while you’re with Rachel and the others?”

“Don’t bother.” Conan huffed, pushing himself off the couch. “Rachel always thinks I’m drugged or something when you use it. Says I talk like a old man.”

Agasa laughed whole heartily at Conan’s bitter remark. “Well see you then, Jimmy-san. I hope it gets better for you.”

“And be careful,” He added softly at the boy’s exit.

Conan gave a wave only to stop at the door as Haibara reached the bottom of the staircase. They gave each other awkward stares until finally the detective spoke, “I’m sorry, Ai. For being so harsh the other day.”

“No biggy.” She shrugged heading off to the living room.

Conan watched her leave- somewhat miffed by her response. But he took it just the same. That was Haibara for you.

“No biggy?” Conan repeated in amusement. “She’s hanging around too many kids.”

“Conan.”

Conan whirled about. Haibara was giving him the most peculiar expression... she was smiling. The detective-turned-shrimp could only blink at that.

“You might want to stop her, Conan. Don’t let Tetra turn Rachel on you.”

“Uh... Hai.” Conan nodded determinedly.

“Good luck!” Haibara shouted at his exit. 

---

Tetra trembled with great excitement as she shuffled through her notes. She had nearly everything- every detail on this Kudo boy. His friends, family, blood type, favorite things, even his assumed fears. This boy was a wonder. A miracle maker. Much like his distant cousin, Conan.

He was a hottie, that he was.

People would want to read about this pretty face. A famous detective- good looking and was even part American. The story could turn heads anywhere. He was missing. Missing for an entire year and the only contact he’s made were the occasional cases he solved under a different name (and man, was that a pain to get out of the inspector) and the phone calls to a Ms. Moore.

The very woman she was most anxious to meet.

“Miss Tetra?”

“Ah,” The brunette practically bounced out of her chair to that voice. “Rachel-san!”

“Yes. Hello.” Rachel smiled awkwardly as Tetra took Rachel’s hand in a friendly shake. “You wanted to ask me some questions?”

“Ah yes. And I do believe... you have all the answers- Rachel-san.” Tetra grinned.

Rachel shrugged nervously.

---

He wasn’t late. He hoped he wasn’t late...

“Rachel!?”

He arrived just as the door the detective’s office opened.

“Rachel-oneesan?!”

Conan looked up at the teenager with large pleading eyes. Rachel cocked her head sightly and smiled, “What is it, Conan?”

“What did she ask you, Rachel-neesan? What all did she ask you about Jimmy-niisan?”

“Hmm,” Rachel smiled. “It was alright, Conan. She just wanted some clues to help find Jimmy-kun. I just gave her-...”

“But what if Jimmy doesn’t want to be found?!” Conan cried, startling Ran into silence.

She stood- staring down the boy before. Feeling as if she had betrayed something dear- something she didn’t know she had to protect, Rachel couldn’t answer.

“Jimmy-niisan might have a good reason for not coming back,” Conan continued in a much softer voice. “Maybe- maybe he doesn’t want to.”

“Why wouldn’t he... Conan!” Rachel demanded grabbing the boy. “You’ve talked to him, haven’t you? What did Jimmy say, Conan?! What did Jimmy say to you?!”

Conan shook his head roughly only making Rachel angrier.

“Conan-kun! Tell me where Jimmy is!!!”

“Oh.” A small voice made them turn.

Rachel flushed as Tetra stood somewhat baffled in the doorframe- staring at the quarreling couple. She brushed back a loose hair and smirked softly at the two,

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to interrupt.”

“Tetra-san!” Rachel called just as the woman made her way to the exit.

“Yes?”

And Rachel faltered. She was going to sick the reporter on the boy. On Conan. That was what she intended to do. To get him to tell her where Jimmy was. But the sad and desperate look in Conan’s eyes made her stop. It made her sick and made her hesitate.

But what if Jimmy doesn’t want to be found?!

“Never mind. Have a good day, Miss Tetra-san.”

Tetra gave a curt nod in response, got in her already flagged taxi, and took off. Rachel watched her go sadly knowing that she had let a chance slip through her fingers.

“Conan.”

Conan froze in mid escape. Funny how Rachel always did that to him. Although nothing about Rachel’s wrath was that funny. 

He turned, with a great reluctance, to face his teenage guardian. But what met his eyes was not the burning hellfire he had expected. Tears. Tears were coming down Rachel’s cheeks.

“I don’t want to know where Jimmy is anymore.” Rachel muttered determinedly through sobs. “Tell him that. Tell him- Tell him I just... I just want him to come home.”

No. Don’t make me say it.

“Jimmy will come home, Rachel. I know he will.”

And the bastard returns.

---

Rachel watched the rain pour outside the large glass windows of her home. It hadn’t stopped all day. But yet nobody seemed to ever be home.

Leaning against the window pane, Rachel could just make out the silhouettes of the poor souls caught in this hellish storm. They were few and far between. But they were still there- clinging to their slickers for warmth. The wind was whistling so hard, Rachel could hear it. No fool could cart an umbrella around in that.

Hurricane like conditions. Was a perfect spring day.

And at least a week since Tetra tiring investigations started. Since then it was inquires day in and out. Richard had long since lost the patience and Rachel the interest.

Each and every question she answered made her miss the stupid jerk more. She figured her longing was pretty evident by now. Even Conan seemed more cautious around her.

Rachel’s head snapped to the sound of footsteps heading for the door. Conan paused only momentarily at her stare.

“Where are you going, Conan-kun?” Rachel muttered, genuinely hurt at his sudden departure.

“I have to go pick something up at Doctor Agasa’s. I’ll be back soon.”

He flashed a smile that Rachel both hated and loved, “Don’t miss me too much while I’m gone.”

“Hm.” Rachel smiled tenderly in return. She could have sworn it was Jimmy who smiled and said that- but to her, nowadays, everyone was Jimmy.

“Don’t stay out long.”

“I won’t.”

“And take a jacket!”

The slam of the door left Rachel with an incredibly hallow feeling inside. She sighed softly and leaned against in the pane just in time to see Conan’s dark figure race the rain towards the Doctor’s house.

“Hm. I hope he remembered his jacket...”

It didn’t seem like she was sitting there long when the phone rang. She stared at it for a moment- watching it ring until finally picking it up.

“Hello. Detective Moore’s Agency.”

“Hey Rachel.”

Rachel’s heart flipped and landed awkwardly somewhere in the pits of her stomach. Watching the rain wash the world, Rachel found the strength to smile.

“Jimmy.”

---

Somewhere in the on other side of the waterfall like night, a boy sat propped between a bowtie and phone. He fell into the softness of her voice. In a way he need this, far more than she needed it.

Conan would usually take a random pay phone on the street- but the last time he had done so he retained an annoying visitor who wanted to play with his voice changing ‘toy’. Conan was able to brush the incident of- but it took a lot of convincing lies to tide that one over.

The spot he chose for this night was the bottom floor a old hotel that was working on it’s renovation. Thanks to some snooping, help from the detective boys, Conan was able to find that the phone had not yet been disconnected.

And he figured they wouldn’t charge a eight year old for breaking and entering. Including when most of the doors weren’t in place yet.

As George would say it, “They had it coming to them.”

“I missed you so much, Jimmy.” No matter how many times she said it- it still forever brought a smile to his lips. It was good to know.

“I miss you too.”

With all my heart.

“Then why don’t you just come home, Jimmy?”

“Ha. I wish it were that simple.”

“Why can’t it be?”

“This case. It has me tied in knots, Rachel.”

“They never did before.”

“This time it’s different.”

“If the case is so hard then drop it. It’s been nearly a year, Jimmy... Come home.”

“I can’t just drop it,” Conan frowned, pulling the bowtie closer. “I can’t let those responsible escape.”

And I won’t let them. I’ll make them pay, Rachel. For what they did to us.

“I promise I’ll be home soon.”

“Define soon.”

“I can’t. You know I can’t.”

“Well, I can’t wait just keep waiting for you, Jimmy. Just who do you take me for?”

The second where Conan was supposed to say something clever or comforting filled up with a thought that he never meant to repeat. Before he said it, he knew he shouldn’t. After he said it- he knew he screwed himself over.

“I’d wait forever.”

The silence afterwards was agonizingly long.

“I can’t believe you.” Came the reply. “You little creep. You had Conan spy on me, didn’t you!”

“No Rachel. I wouldn’t- I couldn’t-!”

“I can’t believe you would do this to me. I can’t believe you would do this, Conan! He really looks up to you, you know?! How dare you!”

“Rachel- no!”

“I hate you, Jimmy Kudo! I hate you!”

Conan flinched, expecting to hear the slamming of the receiver and the unpleasant but yet all to familiar dial tone. But instead he heard a door shut and a new voice speak. Conan assumed it to be Richard.

Who’s...on th... phone?

“Nobody. Just a baka.” Unfortunately, Rachel’s voice came in loud and clear.

Is... Kudo?

“Yes. It is.”

No! Hang up... tapped! She... find him!

Conan didn’t have time to wonder why Richard was warning him. He didn’t have time to hang up the receiver. But he had just enough time to duck as the flash light burned over to where he sat seconds before.

He pulled his tiny body under the desk as the footsteps neared. The high heels clapped the hard tile surface as they came. Voices still came from the phone- crying his name into the dead night air.

The storm blew on outside while one began to brew in.

Conan tensed as he heard the receiver move back into place- cutting the voices short. His heart wouldn’t stop beating. He was sure he’d be heard.

“I’ve caught you. Now come out from behind the desk, Kudo. Isn’t hiding just somewhat juvenile for a great detective such as yourself?”

Lady, you have no idea.

“Do I have to come get you?”

Conan tightened his grip on the bowtie as the flashlight glare started to work it’s way around the desk corner. He, with nervous hands, flipped- blindly, it to its highest and most painful frequency. Crossing his fingers and closing his eyes, Conan took a deep breath.

And just as the light struck his foot he let loose hell.

Tetra stumbled back from the pounding noise. The flashlight was ripped from her grasp- and shattered eerily on the unpolished floors. Windows quivered and dogs from the distance joined the painful song.

Conan didn’t stop until Tetra’s knees hit the floor- and when his own ears popped.

Taking the second, his only second, Conan fled. There was no place to hid- no place at all. Hoping against hope, Conan pressed himself as flat as he could manage against the corner wall.

Lighting flashed far too often than he would have liked.

As disoriented at Tetra was- it wouldn’t have mattered much.

She stumbled to her feet- unable find the source of the noise nor her prey. The halls- to her- were deserted.

Her searching lead her nowhere fast. Coming upon the decision that he must have already escape- Tetra stumbled right past Conan’s hiding nook.

Her ears sting rung and her head was beginning to pound. But above all else she was disappointed in herself. Jimmy would be more careful next time. Couldn’t use the same trick twice. It would be harder the next time.

She reached the large unfinished glass doors. Indifferently, Tetra gazed at the cold gray complexion that her reflection cast- feeling it fit quite well.

Conan took this moment as one for a hasty retreat.

But neither had timed the moment of the flash. When Zeus hurled his adored bolt across the blanched heaven- it did far more damage then scaring the child in bed- or adding a unwanted effect to movie in the making.

The flash lit not only her reflection but that of a figure behind her as well. He was there- pressed pathetically against the wall corner like a deer caught in the headlights. Why it was none other than her friend, Edogawa Conan. His face was as white as a sheet, and his eyes were the bluest blue they had ever been.

Their eyes met in a fierce deadlock of fear and confusion. None could beat the other in either category.

And Tetra couldn’t help but wonder how he appeared.

But his terrified expression answered it all, if only in a befuddled and somewhat bizarre way. She knew. She knew.

He pried himself from the wall and ran. Conan sprinted out from one storm and into the other unaware but yet fully aware of the damage done. He ran faster than his legs could normally support-

But he could never outrun the revealed truth.

Tetra stayed where she discovered it, transfixed at her own reflection. She smiled at the smirk her reflection returned.

“Is that so, Conan-kun.”
To Be Continued... Please R & R!

I stayed up all night writing this because the computer ate it the first time through. I started crying I was so upset- but it’s done now.

And yes, Heiji and Kazuha will be in this story. So you guys can stop asking me about that. ;) But they will not be in Going Down. That story is too short to have too many people popping up for a visit. That and- when I wrote it- Conan didn’t even know Heiji yet.

And yes, I will be using Heiji’s Japanese name not the English. Harley Hartwell is Heiji Hattori for those of you who don’t know. But I’ll just the Japanese for him because it’s awkward that he’d have a English name and his girlfriend- who hasn’t shown up in the dub yet- to not.

I hope you all liked the ending. It was a lot longer than I thought it would be. It was actually supposed to longer then this but- I had to cut it off because I felt like I was rambling.

That and the computer ate all my previous work.

So on that note I leave you with the next file of Vindicated.

Please review and remember-

With a keen eye for detail, one truth prevails.












< br>













< br>