Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ Wish ❯ Wish ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]
WISH
A Detective Conan Fanfic

Written by Miyu, Vampire Princess


AUTHOR'S NOTES:
This is my first fanfic for "Detective Conan". Please be gentle but fair. This little vignette is told from Ran's point of view. A short introspective on the many times she thinks she has Shinichi/Conan figured out. Comments are encouraged and welcome. A standard disclaimer follows the story.




Some days, I think I almost have it all figured out.

Like today. Conan and I went out to dinner with dad, only to get caught up on another case. This is par for the course, mind you. No big deal. And within a few hours my father had it solved. Again, also normal.

But Conan...he's the engima.

I understand that children are curious. I'm sure I was at the age. But they way he looks at things, his point of view, it's too adult. He gets too invovled in dad's cases, and most times I'm certain he knows who did it before the grown-ups. Maybe he's a genius.

Or maybe he's not who he claims to be.

Oh, it's so confusing!

Tonight, Conan was his normal, curious self. His keen eyes picked up several clues father so blatantly missed. The dirt near the window. The glass in the carpet. Perhaps given some time forensics may have found fingerprints or been abel to detail the scrap fo cloth he found on the ground outside the window, but there wasn't any. Time that is. Conan said that if they waited, the killer would escape.

And he would have had father not pointed him out as the murderer.

But how did dad know about all the evidence? He hardly ever listens to Conan so it's not like they conversed over the matter. The police had missed most of the clues as well. It's a wonder they solve anything!

Without Conan, I wonder what would happen.

Or should I say, without Shinichi?

They can't possibly be the same person. It's not logical. It's not! Shinichi's a high school student. Conan's in grade school. Yet, they're both very smart. They both excel at problem solving. Conan's even good with a soccer ball. I've seen him kick one around like it's old habit. Like Shinichi.

And, Conan only showed up after Shinichi disappeared.

Will he disappear when Shinichi reappears?

Will Shinichi reappear?!

I never even had the chance to tell him how I feel about him.

No, scratch that. I did have the chance. And I blew it. As usual.

"Ran?"

"Oh, hi Conan. What are you doing up so late?"

"I couldn't sleep. You?"

"Same here."

"Do you mind...?"

"Mind what?"

"Do you mind if I sleep in here, with you?"

I can't help but smile. Saying no to Conan is a lot harder than saying it to Shinichi. I pull back part of my comforter and pat the mattress. I don't have to tell him it's an invitation. He smiles at me, all childlike and cute before crawling onto the bed and under the covers. From the pillow, he looks at me with those wide eyes and says, "Ran, are you all right?"

"Why do you ask?"

"Because you're staring at me...and you look like you're going to cry."

I raise a hand to my cheek, just as a tear falls. I hadn't realized I'd been in a mood to cry. Frustrated. Angry. Hurt. I suppose it was to be expected. Why do I always have to feel this way when I think about him? Them?

"Ran?"

"I'm all right."

"I'll go get you a tissue."

"Just...go to sleep, Conan."

He had tossed aside the covers, only to pull them up to his chin again. "You sure?"

"I'm sure."

He settles back into bed. Wiping away my tears with the back of my hands, I turn off my bedside lamp. I can feel Conan's body heat as I settle under the covers. Rolling over, I find him facing away from me. Good. Like any other night in bed together I curl up close to him, but I'm careful not to touch. He sighs, unknown tension leaving his body. I smile.

"Good night, Conan."

"Good night."

Conan, if you are Shinichi, I wish you'd just tell me.

I'm not going to think any less of you. Sure I might be angry and feel the need to beat the crap out of you. I may not speak to you for a while and I'd be all embarrassed about all the baths we've taken together. But I love you. Honest.

Besides, I'm not the detective here.

And I'm tired of guessing.


~OWARI~


DISCLAIMER:
I do not own any part of "Detective Conan". That prestige honor goes to creator Gosho Aoyama. The characters in this story are used without permission. No money is being made from the production of this story, so it is pointless to sue.