Clamp School Fan Fiction ❯ Fallen Angel ❯ Broken spirit ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Fallen angel
Jared
Disclaimer:
The following characters belong to CLAMP and are only borrowed for the fanfic.

Chapter 2: Broken spirit

"Still no luck?" Akira asked.

A despondent shake of the head confirmed his suspicion. "He's taking this a whole lot worse than I expected. Now he doesn't even try to do anything anymore. It's like he's lost all confidence in himself."

Akira remained silent. It was safer to say nothing when Suoh was in one of his moods.

* * * * *

"Kaichou, it's me- Suoh."

"Oh, hi Suoh." He forced a smile. "I wasn't expecting you. I would have thought there was tons of work to be done at the campus, especially after my accident."

Suoh's eyes blazed at the response. "Why don't you come back and take a look for yourself? It's been ages since you last went to the campus."

"I'm really tired, Suoh." It was more of a statement than a plea. // Besides, it's not like I can do much anyway. // he added silently.

Suoh barely felt the pain when his teeth made contact with his lip; he was only aware of his action when he tasted blood in his mouth. // How am I going to get Kaichou back on his feet? He's… different. I want Kaichou back the way he was. //

Aloud he merely murmured, "How about we just go and take a short walk? I'm sure fresh air would do you good." // Please, Kaichou, just agree. I'll do anything to help you. Help me, please… // To his disappointment, Nokoru replied in that same tone of false cheerfulness, repeating the wretched sentence, "Suoh, I'm really tired."

It was a dismissal, and Suoh knew it. Reluctant as he was to leave, he knew that Nokoru wanted some time to himself, to think things over. He rose to his feet, and moved gracefully to the door, pausing only to say, "I'll be back later then. Maybe we can have a picnic tea or something." His hand closed on the door handle and he wrenched the door open with more force than was necessary.

// I'm sorry, Suoh. I'm just not strong enough… Maybe you'll give up soon. I don't want to be a burden to you. //