Clamp School Fan Fiction ❯ Fallen Angel ❯ Recovered faith ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Chapter 3: Recovered faith
Jared
Disclaimer:
All the following characters belong to CLAMP and are only borrowed for the fanfic. Information on tear gas was taken from http://www.millennium-ark.net/News_Files/NBC/Chem.Agents.Tear.html

Suoh resisted the temptation to bang on the door. All the pressure of the past few days had built up to an unbearable level, and he could barely restrain himself from crying out loud. It hurt him to see his best friend change so drastically, and live with the guilt.

"Kaichou, watch out! Suoh was frantic, he tried to push through the crowd that had forced them apart in their panic after the initial explosion. Just as he reached his target, however, the a slight movement in the crowd caused him to be separated once again.

Cursing under his breath, Suoh forced his way the best he could, his instincts screaming of a possible danger. // What if this is another attempt to get to Kaichou? I've got to get to him fast. Darn this crowd. Why can't they just stop pushing? //

To his horror, men in black suits appeared out of nowhere, and taking advantage of the mayhem, began to try to force the boy along with them, knowing that within minutes the Imonoyama bodyguards would arrive and their chance would be lost. Suoh could see the bar hit his friend on the head; the blood that stained the shiny surface red; the frantic grabs… Finally, the crowd thinned and he could sprint towards his charge, shuriken and throwing knives already in his hands as he ran.

A swift grab, toss, kick… the movements were familiar to Suoh; all of these were little more than an easy training session with his mother. However, being outnumbered, he failed to see the man pull a can out of his pocket, aiming it for his eyes.

Just as the man pressed hard on the can, emitting the lethal gas which would blind Suoh for the few precious seconds they needed, a sudden blur pushed the intended victim out of the way, taking full blast of the liberal mist that emitted from the can. As soon as this was done, the older boy slid unconscious from the extreme concentration of gas he had inhaled, his face tear-stained.

Suoh watched in horror as the one that he had risked tooth and nail to defend fell to the ground in a dead slump. His arms swiftly moved to catch the falling body, his legs straining with the calculated leap he took out of the ring that the men had formed around them. Hurried footfalls indicated the arrival of the backup that he had been waiting for. The help that had come too late.

His hands were tightly balled that the knuckles were white. It was a nightmare, reliving that memory over and over again. // Why did he do that? The idiot! I'd rather it was me, not him; never him. Why did he take the blast for me? Wasn't it enough that he took the bullet for me already? //

// Because he cares for you; he doesn't want you to get hurt- not now, not ever. He wanted to protect you then, he wants to protect you now. There's nothing that you could have done, or that you can do to stop him. //

// But I'm supposed to protect him, not the other way around. And he's not letting me help him. // Suoh shook his head to clear his mind. It had been ages since he last had a conversation like that with himself. Yet it felt strangely comforting.

// Feeling sorry for yourself and wallowing in self- reproach isn't going to help him you know. //

// Then what should I do? //

// What you always knew you had to do- be there for him. He needs your help and support, now more than ever. You can't abandon him now; don't give up on him. If even you give up on him, then there really is no hope for him. //

// Yes… I understand now. I promise you, I won't fail you this time, Kaichou. //