Code Lyoko Fan Fiction ❯ Through Their Eyes ❯ Ulrich's Story ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: In this fic, there will be three parts telling the same story from three different viewpoints. First will be Ulrich, followed by Xavier, and end with Yumi. If you haven't noticed before, this is a Code: Lyoko fic.
 
AN 2: The song featured in this fic, from Ulrich's POV, is Aiden's The Last Sunrise. I own no rights to the song or show. The song belongs to Aiden (Wil, Jake W., Angel, Jake D., Nick W.) and the show to Antefilms and MoonScoop, in association with France 3 and Canal J. So pretty much, not to me.
Underlined- Song
Bold- thoughts
Italics- Lyoko
 
*~*~*~*~*
 
You sink your teeth in
Bite the blood that drains the life inside of me
And fills your soul with love and hate
and all those things you need to breathe
 
“Aelita, run! We'll handle these guys.”
 
I watched the pink-haired girl run into the activated Tower as Yumi and I turned to face off against the remaining wasps Xana had sent after us. Yumi whipped out her fans and I already had my sword out. I jumped into the air and tried slicing into one of the few around us, but I missed. While I was distracting them, Yumi threw her fan and hit one of them. One down, three to go.
 
Then Yumi was hit squarely in the chest by a wasp's bolt and she began de-virtualizing.
 
I heard Jeremie speaking.
 
“Alright Ulrich, Aelita's done, de-virtualization process beginning now.”
 
As I watched, the wasps turned and flew away, realizing the battle was over. Then I felt the tug at my feet and I began disappearing.
 
*~*
 
Scanner room
 
When I stepped out of the scanner, Yumi was leaning her head against the inside of the scanner she came out of. She was paler than usual and that worried me. Sure, her skin was like a pale lily flower in the morning sun, but this was like, deathly white.
 
“You alright, Yumi?”
 
She nodded, although I could tell it was with an effort. This was odd, since usually fighting Xana doesn't leave us this tired. The third scanner by us opened up and Aelita stepped out, noting Yumi's condition.
 
“She doesn't look good, we should get her home.”
 
My body dies
but still my soul remains eternally
in search of Caspian waves and shallow graves
Explain, why me?
 
*~*~*
 
Aelita, Jeremie, and I all took Yumi home, but she leaned on my shoulders for support. Once or twice we could've sworn she'd almost throw up, but when we rang the doorbell and her mother answered, we explained that she fainted and wasn't feeling all too cold (She was burning up, if we said she wasn't feeling hot we'd be lying.). Aelita offered to stay, and was welcome to, so Jeremie and I headed back to Kadic by ourselves. We didn't talk at all, just kinda walked in silent contemplation. We said our goodnights and headed off to our own dorm rooms when we got back at school.
 
I had nightmares the whole night, dreaming about life if I ever lost Yumi. I kept tossing and turning, but couldn't find a comfortable spot. Odd came in late and went straight to bed, sleeping peacefully until I woke him up. He threw a pillow at me, telling me to shut up.
 
*~*~*
 
A week after Yumi returned to Kadic things started seeming almost normal, though we still didn't know what was wrong with her. Xana hadn't attacked lately, and Jeremie was always on alert. It was starting to feel like he maybe had given up.
 
That evening, the group all gathered in Odd's and my room to discuss this odd calm.
 
“There hasn't been any activated Towers all week. Xana hasn't attacked, and it doesn't seem like he's cooking anything up at all. But we can't drop our guard, he could attack any second.” Jeremie explained to us all, even though we knew the story already.
 
“Still,” I added, “maybe we should do one more check before we all head our separate ways for the night.”
 
Yumi and Aelita agreed, so Jeremie began a scan of all the Towers on his laptop. Halfway through, we jumped at a knock at the door. Odd walked over to answer.
 
“Yeah? Who is it?”
 
He opened the door a small crack and I turned to see a student I'd never seen before. Short blackish hair, black pants and boots, and a crimson shirt are what I noticed first. Then his eyes- they were black and had a slight edge in them, as if he knew something at each and every moment that nobody else did, which annoyed the you know what out of me.
 
“Um, hi, I'm new here. Could you tell me where room 106 is? I'm kind of lost.”
 
“Why certainly. I'm Odd, woman expert extraordinaire of Kadic. Behind me is Ulrich,” he pointed to me, “that's Yumi, Aelita, and Jeremie over there by the computer. So what brings you here, uh…” he made the `finish for me' gesture.
 
“Xavier. Xavier Nichols-Anderson. I just moved here with my dad from America. He got transferred for his job, so we had to move here and this is where he signed me up for school. It's nice to meet you all.”
 
I watched him as he eyed all of us, taking extra long on Yumi. Don't even think about it buddy, she's mine. You may be new, but you'd better learn quick who's dating who. Odd reached behind him for the doorknob and shut it behind them, walking down the hall with Xavier. There's something about him I don't like.
 
This nightmare won't last long.
Are you scared? So sing this song.
I'm right there, by your side.
Tonight we've got a chance.
 
Jeremie called our attention and showed that the scan had come up empty. This put an edge in the air, since it wasn't like this to be a week late in Xana attacks.
 
Oh well.
 
Jeremie and Aelita left, and I offered to walk Yumi home. She accepted my arm and we walked off Kadic's grounds with her head on my shoulder, and my head resting on top of hers. We stopped off for a moment on one of the bridges across town along the way and stopped to watch the sun set.
 
When we stood up from watching, the streetlights were starting to buzz to life. I walked her up to the porch and kissed her on the cheek, said my goodnight and headed home.
 
I watched the sky bleed grey
with see-through shades of violent, bloody stains
and felt the evil prime and wicked start
a course right through my veins
I'm so alive, my skin so cold and fake
I close my eyes
I know that now's the time to take my chance
with death and realize
Sunrise, Sunset
will you wash away the rain?
Sunrise, Sunset
can you wash away the pain?
 
*~*~*
 
Gymnasium, the next day
 
I watched as Yumi and Aelita raced along the track, vying for first place among the other girls. With the workouts they both received from Lyoko, it's not wonder they could run so fast in our world.
 
My god, she looks so good running like that. I wonder how Jeremie feels about seeing Aelita like this. Probably making him uncomfortable, knowing all the other guys are watching with him. I don't care that they see Yumi running- all the more chance of me to show her off and claim that she's mine. … Why do I feel horrible for thinking that?
 
It turns out that even though Aelita ran more often than Yumi did before, she could still whoop her. I often wondered how she could manage to outrun me in Lyoko. Oh well, Yumi won and I stood to congratulate her.
 
“Stern, line up and leave the girls alone! Flirt after class!” Jim yelled at me. The girls giggled and I heard Odd laughing from the starting line. I jogged over and took the starting position. Jim was about the shoot the starting pistol when someone shouted, “Wait for me!”
 
Xavier was jogging over as quickly as he could while trying to preserve his strength for our own run. He was wearing some semblance of the gym uniform.
 
“Who are you?”
 
“Xavier Nichols-Anderson. I just moved here. Sorry I'm late, I got lost again.” He panted lightly as he explained to Jim about his tardiness. I grew agitated-I wanted to run, to show off to Yumi.
 
“Very well Xavier, line up and get ready to run. And don't think that you can get away with doing this again, next time you'll have to help me clean the locker rooms. Both of them.” Jim threatened.
 
He got in line with the rest of us and the pistol was shot. We took off at a decent pace, but soon Xavier and I were competing for first place. I glanced at him from the corner of my eye- he wasn't even breaking a sweat from this, and I had already started forming circles around my armpits.
 
Eventually he passed me for good, speeding up. He wasn't even going full out while being tied with me for first; he was saving it to break the record before me. Jerk.
 
I came in second, as opposed to my usual first place, and watched as all the girls, including Yumi, walked over to talk to him. But did Jim yell at him for flirting with the girls? No, but he had the rest of us do pushups. Lovely.
 
The bell rang and he sent us to get changed, but had Xavier wait after.
 
This nightmare won't last long
Are you scared? So sing this song.
I'm right there by your side.
Tonight we've got a chance.
This nightmare won't last long.
Are you scared? So sing this song.
I'm right there by your side.
Tonight we've got a chance.
 
*~*~*
 
Two days later
 
I casually approached Yumi in the hallway, tickets sticking out of my back pocket. She turned and greeted me.
 
“Hey Ulrich. What's up?” she enquired casually.
 
“Oh, nothing, just wondering if I would have any takers to go see the NuFix concert Thursday night. Interested?”
 
Then I knew something was wrong. I got the eyes that said, `Oh no, I'd love to, but…'
 
“I'm sorry Ulrich, I've already agreed to go with someone else. I hope you don't mind.”
 
Ouch. Talk about crushed when your own girlfriend is going to a concert with somebody else. Oh well, maybe it's Aelita…
 
“No problem, who with? I might see you two there.”
 
“Xavier. He asked me this morning. He's a really big fan, and got backstage passes. But yeah, maybe I'll see you there.”
 
The bell rang and she pecked me on the cheek, said a quick `Bye,' and ran off. I just stood there, crushed, when Xavier walked by.
 
“Hey Ulrich, you all right?” he asked, worry in his voice.
 
“Yeah, I'm fine. Thanks.”
 
“No problem…guess what Jim wanted.”
 
“What?” I tried to keep the boredom and annoyed-ness out of my voice as best as I could.
 
“He wants me on track team. Ain't that awesome?” He was hyped, and had all reason to be. The track team didn't let just anybody run for them, they wanted the cream of the crop. And I was supposed to be the next one on the team. It made my blood boil.
 
“Great. I heard you're going to the NuFix concert. See you there?” The fakeness of my voice could've won an Oscar.
 
“Definitely. See you then, Ulrich.” With that, he ran off to class. I stayed there for a minute or ten after that, and when Jim came around and asked me why I was in the hall and not class, I pretended to be sick and wanted to go back to my dorm, asking him to tell my teacher. I really did feel sick, and went back to my dorm to lie down. I decided not to go to the concert.
 
So mute and beautiful to me
a promise kept on high
an angelic look at life through open eyes.
Don't be scared, we'll make it work
We're right on time, don't make things worse.
Now I'm right there, by your side.
 
*~*~*~*~*
 
1 month later
 
Everyone was on his or her toes. Xana hadn't attacked for one full month, which wasn't like him at all. But Xana wasn't the only thing going wrong. The whole boyfriend/girlfriend deal between Yumi and me just wasn't working out as it had before. Namely, she was now spending more time with Xavier than me. Messed up, isn't it? We're still supposed to be a couple, too, but all I see of her is the Lyoko meetings and in the hallway for some quick chatter before class.
 
It was the evening, Odd was out on some blind date off campus, Aelita and Jeremie were off doing who knows or wants to know what somewhere else, and Yumi was, as far as I knew, home alone. Which made me want to check up on her.
 
When I turned the corner to her house, I saw a dark figure in the doorway. The figure stepped into the light and I saw who it was. Xavier, leading Yumi away and towards the factory. Not good.
 
Oh hell.
 
Looking closely, something was wrong with Yumi. She didn't seem bothered that he was leading her to the factory, or in the direction of it, and she wasn't, well, herself. I stayed hidden in the shadows and followed from behind.
 
My fears were confirmed when he led her across the bridge to the factory.
 
How does he know about this?
 
I waited and followed them in, making it to the scanner after they had scanned themselves in. I watched, and then made a split decision. I jumped back into the elevator, went for the main computer level, and did my best to enter the virtualization process for myself. When that was done, I ran back to the elevator and somehow managed to jump into the scanner just in time to be scanned into Lyoko. Bad move, I know.
 
When I virtualized, I was in the Forest Sector. Then again, so were Yumi and Xavier. I followed them still, virtually through Lyoko, until they came upon a Tower. They entered, and I followed after them a minute almost too late.
 
“Xavier, what are you doing? How do you know about Lyoko?” I shouted at him from inside the lower half of the Tower. It seemed I couldn't get up to their level fast enough.
 
Xavier was facing me, and he had a bad look in his eyes. Like, the sign of Xana, for instance.
 
“Why, my dear Ulrich, you never did know my full name. Xavier, Adam, Nichols-Anderson.. X-A-N-A. Get it? Xana.” He laughed at his own joke. It wasn't funny.
 
“What? Xana? How did you materialize yourself in our world?” I shouted at him.
 
“The same way you did. But my mission? To get my queen. You see, there are some things about evil computer viruses you didn't know. And quite frankly, you probably will never have the chance to.” His voice seethed with malice.
 
Wait, if Aelita's Lyoko's princess, then who's the queen? …Yumi! What the heck?
 
“Leave Yumi out of this!”
 
(Sunrise) I will avenge.
(Sunset) I can't pretend
(Sunrise) I won't forget this vain
(Sunset) attempt and promise kept.
Just one more night to make up
for the loss of love and time.
 
Fury clouded my judgment, and I charged at Xana virtualized, sword pointed at his chest. He didn't try to defend himself, just let me phase right through him.
 
Wait, that didn't sound right.
 
Yep folks, this Xana was a hologram. I looked around bewildered, and then heard a snapping of fingers and Xana's voice.
 
“Well Ulrich, it's been fun, but I'm afraid I really must dash. Give Yumi my regards.”
 
There was laughter, but then it faded and was replaced with Jeremie's voice.
 
“Ulrich! Yumi! Are you guys alright?”
 
I looked at Yumi- she was fine, but looking around, obviously confused.
 
“Um, Ulrich, how did we get into Lyoko? Is Xana attacking?” Her voice betrayed her confused face.
 
“Yes, Yumi, we've been under attack for almost a month. It's over now. For now, at least.”
 
“Then why is your sword out? Or are you just glad to see me?” Yep, Yumi's back folks, nothing to worry about.
 
Then I felt the de-virtualization tug at me, and saw she was de-virtualizing too. Jeremie was back at the helm.
 
*~*~*
 
Main Computer Room, Factory
 
“…So Xavier was, all that time, Xana in disguise. Damn. That means he's found a way to materialize himself in our world.”
 
“Looks like it Einstein. What are we gonna do about it?” Odd asked.
 
“It hurts to say, but I don't know. I'll have to do a lot of scans, check and update the antivirus, and then I'll have to…”
 
I stood up, not in the mood for technical talk, and headed outside and onto the bridge. The sun was coming up. I heard footsteps from behind me.
 
Here comes the sun to rid this world
Of see-through blood and swollen light
Sunrise, Sunset
Will you wash away the rain?
Sunrise, Sunset
Can you wash away the pain?
This nightmare won't last long
Are you scared? So sing this song.
I'm right there by your side
Tonight we've got a chance
 
I turned and Yumi sat next to me. She didn't say anything, just sat there with me watching the sunrise. After it was almost fully up she laid her head on my shoulder, and I put my head on hers. We still sat in silence, until it was fully up. Then we separated.
 
“Ulrich, I'm sorry if you thought that I was more into Xavier than you while he was here. I had Jeremie do a scan of me before I came out to join you-turns out that when I was sick, a week before he came, Xana's monster's attack had put into me a poison that, when the time was right, would allow him to control my mind. You understand, don't you?” She was almost pleading, as though there was something wrong with her not being able to help being taken over by some demonic virus.
 
“It's okay Yumi, it wasn't your fault. If anything it was mine for being jealous.” I admitted.
 
She was silent for a minute.
 
“Then, Ulrich, let's promise that no matter what, we'll never let anyone else ever come between what we have. Promise?”
 
“I promise.”
 
We looked into each other's eyes before leaning in to share a nice kiss on the lips that lasted until we needed air.
 
We smiled, stood up, and headed home.
 
 
This nightmare won't last long.
Are you scared? So sing this song.
I'm right there by your side.
Tonight we've got a chance.
Sunrise, the last sunrise.