Code Lyoko Fan Fiction ❯ Through Their Eyes ❯ Yumi's Story ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: Last part of a three-part story. I do own NuFix and their lyrics, as well as the ridiculous storyline.
 
Song: `Somewhere' by and belonging to Within Temptation (Sharon, Robert, Ruud, Martijn, Stephen, Jeroen). Don't own the song too.
 
Bold-thoughts
Italics-Lyoko
Underlined-song
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Lost in the darkness
Hoping for a sign
Instead there's only silence
Can't you hear my screams?
 
“Aelita, run!” I heard Ulrich shout as he and I turned to face off against the four wasps Xana had sent after us. I pulled my fans out as he jumped up and sliced at one of them, missing, but my fans hit and deleted one of the others. After the fans came back and I jumped up to catch them, I was stung right in the chest and began dematerializing.
 
As soon as the Scanner opened, I knew something wasn't right. My head swam and I leaned against the doors for support moments before Ulrich's Scanner opened up and he stepped out. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest, and heard him asking if I was all right. I nodded, but that made me even dizzier.
 
Aelita stepped out of the third Scanner beside me, and I obviously looked as bad as I felt, because I heard her saying, “She doesn't look too good, we should probably get her home fast.”
 
*~*~*~*
 
I blacked out for a minute. When I came to I had my weight on Ulrich, and he was taking me home with Jeremie and Aelita. We walked a few blocks from Kadic to my house, and although a few times I felt like I'd throw up, we made it there without incident. We walked up the steps, and after a moment of knocking on the door I heard my mother speak, then the others, and then I passed out again.
 
When I woke up again, it was close to noon. My mother was knitting by my bed and looked up when I tried to speak. She shushed me and gave me some food, and then walked out.
 
When I finished eating I began to flip through a magazine, one on rock bands from all over the world. Slowly I drifted off into sleep.
 
(AN: These italics are dreams.) I was riding along horseback through the countryside, all adorned with jewels and rare fabrics from lands abroad. In a week I was to be wed to some foreign king of a land I had studied about as a young girl. I was fourteen then, but at this time it was common for girls that age to be wed to older men. Two guards rode on either side ahead of me, and two more behind. My father rode at the front, discussing something with the king's man he had sent to escort us to his palace. I wasn't much for the palace life, my father being merely a duke, but I was told I'd get used to it.
 
I had met my betrothed only once before, at a party my father hosted once. He was a prince then, and was riding with his father and several of their men when they were ambushed just outside our borders. The then king was shot through the arm and was rushed to our castle. While our physicians and his men were trying to save him, his son was sent into our party to eat and do as he wished. I was ten at the time, and he was sixteen. We had spoken briefly, but it was enough. I was entrapped by him, and him by me.
 
“Excuse me, are you the young lady of the house?” His courtly manners took me slightly off guard; all I had ever heard about him was that he was rude and arrogant.
 
“Y-yes, I am. I'm Isabella. Is there anything I can get you?” I tried to be polite to him, he was considered more royal than I was.
 
“No, just stay and talk with me while I still can. Please.”
 
When it seemed all right for his father to leave, we were both saddened; we couldn't speak to one another again. I watched from my room their departure, silent tears flowing down my face. Word came days later that the king had died from infection and blood loss, and that his son was to be crowned the new king.
 
Weeks after my fourteenth birthday, King Xavier's man was received by my father in his private study. The man stayed with us, and at dinner my father asked me my thoughts on marriage. When I told him if he found me the right suitor I'd be delighted, he asked if a king would do. I took his hint and asked, “King Xavier?” and he smiled as he nodded. I nearly jumped up out of happiness, but stopped myself quickly and regained my composure before responding, “Well, if you think it would be a good match.” Of course he thought it would, and he sat with Xavier's man to arrange everything.
 
*~~~~~~*
 
As I dreamed, I tossed and turned in my sheets, sweat dripping out of me like I was a roasting pig. Occasionally a dream would lapse and I could feel my mother pressing something cold onto my head, or my father whispering to a doctor about my condition.
 
*~~~~~~*
 
The morning of our wedding, I was taken aside by the previous queen, Xavier's mother. She asked me if I knew what was going to happen. I didn't, and the answer surprised me. It was rare for one to talk openly of that topic, but even though I had guessed I wanted to make sure. After our `talk,' we had the ceremony. Nobility from every province and kingdom had shown up. Xavier's father was popular among the other royals, and he was growing in respect on his own. The gifts were piled high in the reception hall, and I had counted several new horses out in the yard as we walked from the church to the hall through the crowd gathered. Many of the guests, after congratulating us, commented on how fond we seemed of each other, which was very much true.
 
After the reception, we walked alone to the `just married' bedroom in his palace. As was tradition, he scooped me up and carried me into the room and onto the bed. A steward that had been waiting for us locked the door on the way out and we heard it click as his footsteps receded down the hall. The only light in the room was the fireplace across from the foot of the bed, and the sheets were velvety below us as we consummated our marriage.
 
Never stop hoping
Until you know where you are
But one thing's for sure
You're always in my heart
 
*~~~~~~*
 
Slowly I regained my strength and brainpower as the week progressed. The fevers went away, and so did the dreams. Two played themselves back and forth, but I never told anyone about them, even back at school.
 
One night, we had all gathered in Ulrich and Odd's room to discuss our problems with Xana. Jeremie opened the discussion with the facts, like he always does.
 
“Okay, Xana hasn't attacked for a week, and he doesn't seem to be cooking anything up. However, you all know that we cannot drop our guard, due to the fact that he could attack at any second. Any ideas?” He pushed his glasses up his nose.
 
“Well, let's do one more Tower scan before we all head off for the night, huh?” Ulrich suggested. I smiled at him. We all turned and watched as Jeremie clicked away at the laptop's keyboard, followed by the screen showing a scan of the Towers in Lyoko. About halfway through, there was a knock on the door. Jeremie turned the screen away from the door and Odd walked over to answer it.
 
“Yeah, who is it?” He opened the door, and there stood a boy in my grade wearing all black, except for his crimson shirt. Even his hair was black, and he looked extremely pale.
 
“Um, hi, I'm new here. Could you tell me where room 106 is? I'm kinda lost.” Quickly Odd gave out introductions, pointing at each of us in turn. His eyes narrowed at Ulrich, but widened when he saw me. He introduced himself as Xavier Nichols-Anderson, and then he and Odd left to go find his room.
 
The computer beeped behind us, and Jeremie pointed to the screen, showing that no Towers had been activated. The air had an edge to it now, but we decided to get some sleep and think on it. Jeremie walked Aelita to her dorm, and Ulrich offered an arm to take me home. I accepted and we walked off Kadic's grounds, my head on his shoulder and his head on mine. We paused at one of the downtown bridges and watched the sun set before continuing on. At my door, we said our goodnights; he kissed me on my cheek, and then turned to leave. I watched him turn the corner before going inside.
 
I'll find you somewhere
I'll keep on trying
Until my dying day
I just need to know
Whatever has happened?
The truth will free my soul
 
*~~~~~~*
 
(AN: Still dreams) A year after our marriage, we were well respected among our neighboring countries; so well that one sent a knight over to us as an anniversary gift. Sir Urian was very handsome, with short brown hair and no beard on his face. He was extremely friendly, and would go out of his way to please me, it seemed. However, he was also the best man we had in handling swords, so he proved to be invaluable to us.
 
Our main interest for our kingdom was learning and advancement, so it came to no surprise that a young wizard, James, presented himself to be our court magician, and his wife Adele to be a cleric. With them came a hunter, Oliver, who had skill with animals, especially dogs. Oliver always had his own dog, Kaden, with him. Xavier and I debated which of Oliver's quirks was the weirdest-his oddly placed wit or his insatiable love of the color purple. James and Adele were obviously very much in love with each other. They spent most of the day, aside from while they were at work, together, talking with others or just each other.
 
On one occasion while I was walking alone in the halls, Sir Urian had come jogging up to join me. The hallway was empty of servants or anyone else.
 
“Milady Isabella, I was wondering…what are your feelings towards King Xavier?” There was a touch of curiosity in his voice, and what seemed to be fake sincerity.
 
“Why, I love him of course. Why, do you doubt it?” We had met five years ago, and had been married only one, but I truly did love him.
 
“Well, no milady, it's just that I have heard rumors of planned attempts on his life, and if someone were to succeed in killing him, the kingdom would need you to decide on a new king. So I am suggesting that you begin to consider a new king just in case his bodyguards fail to protect him, nothing more.” His tone was respectful, but somehow it made me feel uncomfortable.
 
“Sir Urian, please let me b-“ He cut me off, pinning me against the wall with his body, his face only a few inches away from mine.
 
“Please, milady, when you choose, choose wisely. For the kingdoms sake.” His tone had lost all its respectfulness and was now harsh and angry.
 
*~~~~~~*
 
Gym, next day
 
My chest heaved as I ran alongside Aelita and all the other girls in our gym class. The two of us and three other girls were in the lead, and we had just entered the final straightaway on the track. Halfway to the finish line, I poured on the steam and apparently so did Aelita, since we pulled away out in front of all the others. Even though she ran more than I do on a regular basis, I crossed the finish line first and ran on, slowing down and stopping in the curve of the track.
 
Ulrich stood over in the grass and jogged over to talk to me, a smile on his face, when Jim yelled at him to line up with the boys. I walked over with the other girls onto the grass where the boys just were and caught my breath, and then yelled encouragement to the boys. Jim was just about to shoot the pistol off when Xavier came running up, yelling at him to hold on. The two spoke for a minute, and then Xavier lined up with all the guys. Jim shot the pistol.
 
The girls all got their wind back and began to gossip about how cute Xavier was, and watching him, how good a runner he was. Some even ventured to say that was probably some indication of how good in bed he was. Somehow I knew he was amazing in bed, but didn't share that with the others. Instead I shut them out and watched the boys. Ulrich and Xavier were fighting for first place. About halfway through the race, Xavier poured on speed like there was no tomorrow and easily beat Ulrich's record. He wasn't even breathing hard or sweating; when he slowed to a stop he just stood there. I got up with all the others and walked over to talk to him.
 
Jim yelled at the other boys, and had them all do pushups while he let us go get changed. He stopped Xavier and called him over to talk to him before sending the boys to change. Ulrich had an angry look on his face, and it worried me.
 
*~~~~~~*
 
Two days later, I called a quick goodbye to my mother and headed out the door. I usually walked to Kadic alone, occasionally meeting up with others from school on the way. I looked around-it was warm out this morning, and the sun was shining brightly. Even though it was supposed to be getting up into the seventies, I still had on my favorite black sweater. You couldn't part us if our lives depended on it.
 
“Yumi! Hey Yumi, wait up!” I turned around and saw Xavier standing at the corner, smiling and waving. I smiled and waved back, and he jogged over. We began walking together.
 
“Hey Xavier. What're you doing out this way this early?” I looked at him sideways.
 
“Just grabbing some food. I spent all night in line for them, and I got one too many.” He looked at me as we walked. I was immediately curious about what he had gotten.
 
“So, what did you get?”
 
“Tickets for the NuFix concert. Backstage passes, too. I was first in line and spent most of the night waiting for it to open this morning. So, would you wanna go with me? Or don't you like them?” The sound of his voice would've made me go with him if I wasn't already jumping in the air.
 
“Would I! We get to go backstage and meet them? Awesome. I'm a huge fan of theirs, and someday I'm going to be just as big. But I'm surprised your dad let you wait in line all night. How'd you convince him to let you go?” I was super-excited, although a bit curious about his dad. My parents aren't as cool as that.
 
“Oh, it was easy. I just told him I'd do stuff around the house all week and he agreed.” We were arriving at Kadic now, and at the gate we said our goodbyes and went separate ways.
 
*~~~~~~*
 
Later I was looking around in my locker for a book for the next class I had, science. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Ulrich walking towards me. I turned and smiled.
 
“Hey Ulrich, what's up?” I turned back to my locker and kept searching for the book.
 
He was smiling. “Oh, nothing, just wondering if I would have any takers to go see the NuFix concert Thursday night. Interested?” When I turned my head, he was holding two tickets out in front of him, indicating that I should grab one. I felt a pang of guilt in my stomach.
 
“I'm sorry Ulrich, I've already agreed to go with somebody else. I hope you don't mind.” Oh man, I was genuinely sorry about this. He was crushed, I could tell.
 
“Oh, no problem. Who with? I might see you two there.” Ulrich was trying a last ditch effort to put on a brave front, you have to give him that.
 
“Xavier. He asked me this morning. He's a really big fan, and got backstage passes. But yeah, maybe I'll see you there.” The bell rang and I pecked him on the cheek. “See you after class.” I turned and ran off down the hall where the science room was. For the entire class I couldn't focus. There was a sour taste in my mouth and an upset feeling in my stomach.
 
Lost in the darkness
Tried to find your way home
I want to embrace you
And never let you go
 
*~~~~~~*
 
Saturday night, I met Xavier at the concert arena. About a half hour after we got in, the concert started. We were up close, by the mosh pit. I was happy to be here, sure, but nowhere in the crowd or in the line did I see Ulrich. He was at school earlier, and he was fine, although maybe a little bit bummed out.
 
During one of my favorite songs, while I was singing along like everyone else there, I glanced over at Xavier. He was looking at me funny, with a secretive smile. I smiled back at him, good-naturedly, and looked back at the band.
 
Almost like you're in heaven
So no one can hurt your soul
Living in agony
Cause I just did not know
Where you were
 
*~~~~~~*
 
1 month later
 
I was sitting at my computer desk in my room, doing homework and on the side, looking at some cool websites Aelita had shown me. She'd said that she found these in Jeremie's files online before he found a way to bring her to our world. It was interesting, really. Someday I'm going to have to bother him about what the rating XXX means. (AN: Use your imagination.)
 
I heard a noise and quickly closed out the box I'd been looking at, afraid it was Ulrich sneaking in. I turned around, saw Xavier standing there and then wave a hand at me, and black out. Images swirled through my mind.
 
(AN: Dream-ish confusion thing going on.) A castle under siege on the cliffs above a vast sea/a candlelit dinner for two in a closed villa/thousands of warriors on a battlefield engaged in bloody combat/a king and queen being threatened by an old hag a mother grieving her lost child/a knight smiling behind a curtain, holding a vial of poison/a double funeral for father and son/an old lady standing by two graves as a single tear falls on the ground before she collapses in between the two.
 
Thunder and lightening piercing the sky as a funeral procession walks past/a new baby is born, beginning a long line of new queens and kings to later become commoners with the rest as the world modernized/an anxious Japanese father watching the clock in the waiting room as his wife gives birth in the hallway through the doors/the young baby grows up and becomes embroiled in a fatal love triangle.
 
An angered king, felled by a jealous knight in his service/years waiting to exact revenge, precious time spent planning/a new day the king finds an outlet for his anger/the creation of new creatures and a logo that will one day strike fear in the hearts of millions worldwide.
 
I'll find you somewhere
I'll keep on trying
Until my dying day
I just need to know
Whatever has happened?
The truth will free my soul
 
*~~~~~~*
 
I woke up, startled and standing in a Tower. Ulrich was watching me, an angered look on his face that was quickly replaced with relief. His sword was drawn, and he seemed tense.
 
“Um, Ulrich, how did we get into Lyoko? Is Xana attacking?” This was weird. I black out and the next thing I know I'm on a virtual program half a mile from my house.
 
“Yes, Yumi, we've been under attack for almost a month. But it's over. For now, at least.” For some reason, the relief in his voice just made me say this.
 
“Then why is your sword out? Or are you just happy to see me?” He rolled his eyes and smiled, and I laughed as Jeremie began to de-virtualize us.
 
Wherever you are
I won't stop searching
Whatever it takes me to go
 
*~~~~~~*
 
Main Computer Room, Factory
 
“…So Xavier was, all that time, Xana in disguise. Damn. That means he's found out a way to materialize himself into our world.” Jeremie nearly punched the wall as he spoke.
 
“Looks like it Einstein. What're we gonna do about it?” For once, Odd was serious about the matter at hand. As Jeremie responded to him, Ulrich sighed and stood up, turned, and left through the elevator. Odd got up to go talk to him, but I stopped him.
 
“Wait, Odd. Give him time to cool off. Jeremie, could you possibly do a scan of me, just to check my systems and everything?” I wasn't sure whether he had the right technology to do what I asked of him. He turned and tapped a few keys on the keyboard. A light from his computer went up and down my body as I stood by the computer, and an image of my internal systems showed up on his screens. A red light blinked on the screen that showed my bloodstream.
 
“You see, there.” He tapped a few more keys and something popped up on the screen. “This says that there's traces of a viral poison still working its way out of your system. This could be what Xavier used to trap and control you. It's just a guess, but it's still the most likely reason it's there.”
 
This left me with some difficult emotions, but I thanked him and went up to Ulrich.
 
*~~~*
 
I stepped onto the bridge connecting the Factory to the mainland and saw Ulrich sitting on its side, watching the sunrise. I quietly walked over and sat next to him, and then put my head on his shoulder. He put his head on mine, and I smiled. We stayed like this until the sun was fully up, and then we separated.
 
“Ulrich, I'm sorry if you thought that I was more into Xavier than you while he was here. I had Jeremie do a scan of me before I came out to join you-turns out that when I was sick, a week before he came, Xana's monster's attack had put into me a poison that, when the time was right, would allow him to control my mind. You understand, don't you?” I was almost pleading with him, and there were small gatherings of tears in my eyes, but I stared at him intently.
 
“It's okay Yumi, it wasn't your fault. If anything it was mine for being jealous.” he admitted.
 
I was silent, thinking his answer over. Then, “Ulrich, let's promise that no matter what, we'll never let anyone else ever come between what we have. Promise?”
 
He smiled. “I promise.”
 
We looked at each other, smiled, and leaned in for a kiss. We pulled away when air became necessary, stood up, and headed home.
 
I'll find you somewhere
I'll keep on trying
Until my dying day
I just need to know
Whatever has happened?
The truth will free my soul.