Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction / Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Cowboy Bebop Meets Trigun ❯ The Escape ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Uh, nope. Not mine.
 
A/N: Another day, another chapter. I hope you like this one. I wrote it at about 3 AM one morning. Yep! That's how devoted I am to my stories! Anyway, enough of my ramblings. On to Chapter 21!
 
 
Chapter 21: The Escape
 
Knives followed the mind-controlled human down the corridor of the ship as quicky as possible. Despite all his days of confinement, Knives did not feel taxed in the least. After all, he had managed to keep himself busy with mental as well as physical exercises. In this way, Knives had kept himself trim and fit and his mind sharp.
Knives fingered the cool metal of his gun. It fit in the palm of his hand perfectly. But of course it did. Knives had made it so. Every part, every mechanism, had been carefully constructed and put together to form the gun in his hand. A weapon of mass destruction, capable of so much. Knives grinned. He held the fate of the human race in the palm of his hand.
As Legato's human slave led Knives through the ship, Knives noticed how quiet it was. There seemed to be not a soul on board. Knives almost felt disappointed. He had always taken pleasure in the pain of humanity, that only slightly more intelligent breed of animal.
At that thought, an image of Nightingale flashed in Knives's mind. Knives glowered at the mental picture silently. That foolish woman! She had actually believed she could keep him a pisoner. Him! Millions Knives! How could she have possibly hoped to contain someone who was the right hand of judgement for humanity?
Yet, despite his reservations about her, Nightingale was indeed an autonomous plant angel. How Knives wished he could forget her! He was almost certain now that she had allowed herself to get caught, ever so briefly, in their sparring match just to make a firmer imprint upon his psyche. Knives could not dismiss her from his mind. He could not claim she was an ignorant fool like Vash, yet he could neither claim that she saw all humans as evil, as he did. She was somewhere in between, neither for nor against humanity. It was maddening!
Knives, although calm on the exterior, growled at her silently. Suddenly, Knives felt a vage presence on the edge of his mind. He determined that it was Nightingale. She had sensed his agitation somehow. She would now be aware that he had escaped. The fact that she could sense him at all would be enough to alert her.
“Master? What is it?”
Knives looked down at his guide, who had noticed his sudden distraction. “We have been found out. Quickly! Lead me to the escape pods!”
“Yes, my Master.”
The two resumed their fast pace, this time moving at an even faster rate. Knives clamped down on his thoughts and emotions. If they were how Nightingale had found him in the first place, Knives would make sure she could not locate him again. Even though she could not read his thoughts, his emotions, if not kept under control, could possible lead to him. Knives would not let that happen. After all, if Knives did not succeed in his mission to destroy humanity, not only would the suffering of plants continue, but the pathogenic organisms known as humans would continue to spead their vile influence across the healthy universe and infect everything within their grasp.
They will pay for their transgressions. Mark my words, woman. They shall pay...
 
 
Nightingale was sitting in her room, alone, savoring the scent of her black coffee, when she felt agitation. She knew at once it was not hers. As she reached out woth her mind, she felt the mind of another, so much like her own. Her body stiffened. It was Knives's mind she was sensing. But, that shouldn't even be possible. Unless...
Nightingale stood up, leaving her coffee mug half empty as she punched the intercom button on the wall. “Lieutenant, is anything amiss?”
The voice of a young man came through. “Nothing that I can see, ma'am.”
“I want you to check the secirity cameras for anything out of place in the residential area. Open doors, unlocked doors, anything unusual.”
“Yes, Captain. Hold a moment while I run a system scan.”
Nightingale waited patiently for her Second Lieutenant to report back. She almost regretted sending her First Lieutenant to pilot the Bebop, but she knew Jet Black would have accepted nothing less. Still, if Knives truly was out of his cell, all hell was about to break loose.
`They will pay for their transgressions. Mark my words, woman. They shall pay...'
“Ma'am,” the Lieutenants voice buzzed back on the intercom, “nothing seems to be unusual. However, there does seem to be a slight malfuntion in the surveillance equipment. The camera film seems to skip every hundredth of a second.”
Nightingale's eyes widened slightly. “They're feeding us a loop,” she hissed under her breath.
“Ma'am?”
“Lieutenant, I want this ship on Yellow alert!”
“Yellow alert? What for?”
“There is a traitor on board this ship! I want him found immediately! Also, the prisoner has escaped. The ship must be searched thoroughly if we are to find him.”
“Which prisoner?”
“Millions Knives.”
“No...”
“Yes.”
“Where shall we search?”
“Everywhere. I want no corner of this ship left unchecked or unturned.”
“Understood. But, Captain, what about the others from the Bebop?”
“I will inform them myself. They and I will search for the escapee and traitor.”
“Yes, ma'am. Do you intend to ask for help from the other prisoner?”
“I would think the escape of Millions Knives would be of some concern to Vash the Stampede, considering the fact they are siblings. Don't you agree?” Nightingale asked cooly.
“Y-yes, ma'am.”
“Good. Now, stop wasting time! Locate them at once!”
“Yes, Captain!” he said smartly before cutting off the communication.
Nightingale quickly strapped on her whip and katana and pulled the cape over her shoulders. She did not yet now what Millions Knives was attempting with this, but she would soon find out. It was true that she had anticipated an escape attempt. However, she had not expected a traitor. Unless...
Could it be that Knives's followers, the Gung-Ho Guns, had followed her ship to this remote region of the solar system merely to recover their captured master? Yes, it was possible, especially with Legato Bluesummers, neither man nor plant because of Vash's left arm. His devotion to Knives and his cause definitely merited a rescue attempt.
However, the question remaining was how Legato had managed to find Nightingale. The Gung-Ho Guns were not familiar with this part of the universe. It seemed very unlikely that they could have found he ship without outside assistance. But who?
The blood drained out of Nightingale's face. Surely not him... But, it would explain so much...
Then, as she tightened her grip on her composure, Nightingale strode out of the door towards the residential areas. If it was true that he really was aiding the Gung-Ho Guns, Nightingale would have to act quickly to prevent Knives escape, not only to protect the fate of the human race, but to protect Millions Knives as well.
 
 
Spike woke up to the sound of the door to his room sliding open. He grumbled a bit before looking to see who was barging in. It was Faye, hands on hips (as usual). However, she seemed worried about something. That in itself was enough of an indication for Spike to tell something was amiss.
“Faye, what're you doing here?”
Faye glared at him, but with less vehemence than she usually did. “Lazy ass, I just heard from Nightingale that Knives has escaped.”
Spike came wide awake at that. “How the hell did that happen?”
“No idea, but she wants everyone to help her find him.”
“Great,” Spike muttered. He got out of bed and began to pull on his shirt. Then, he noticed that Faye was staring at his bare chest. “What're you looking at.”
“Nothing. You're just as scrawny as a chicken. Did you know?”
“Shut up, Faye.”
The two left the room and found everyone else assembled in the hall. However, there was one person missing.
Spike frowned. “Where's Nightingale?”
“She went to get Vash,” Wolfwood informed him.
“All this nonsense over one escaped prisoner?” Spike asked incredulously.
“Don't get cocky, Spike,” Jet grunted. “You remember what happened back on Earth? The guy's a monster. No way in hell can someone like him be allowed to escape.”
Fine, fine, I gotcha.” Spike held up his hands in a placating gesture. “I just want to know, how can he escape? We're in the middle of space.”
“Think, Spike. Ships this size always have escape pods,” Jet pointed out.
“Even so, how would he find them?”
“A traitor.”
Everyone turned to face Nightingale, who had just arrived with a certain outlaw clad in red. Vash seemed a bit pale, but other than that, just fine.
“I hope you all recognize the severity of the situation. If Knives escapes, all humanity will be placed in jeopardy. Even so, that is not what most concerns me.”
Spike narrowed his eyes. “What in the hell is that supposed to mean.”
Nightingale looked Spike squarely in the eye. “At this point, it has become clear that there is a traitor on board this ship. This individual released Knives from his cell and is undoubtably guiding him through the ship.”
“So, where can we head them off?” Wolfwood asked.
“Hopefully, we will be able to cut in front of them before they reach the escape pods. However, there is not much time. We must leave now if we are to catch them.”
“Tell me one thing, Nightingale. Is there any other reason, besides the obvious `danger to humanity' one, why Knives can't be allowed to escape?” Spike asked shrewdly.
Nightingale's face was expressionless. “I have my suspicions, but until they are confirmed, I do not wish to share them with you.”
“So now you're hiding things from us?” Spike wanted to know.
“Um, guys, I think we have more important things to worry about,” Vash interjected nervously.
“Needle Noggin's right,” Wolfwood said. “We have to hurry. Lead the way, Nightingale.”
Without aother word, Nightingale swept to the front of the group and walked purposefully before the rest. Vash followed right after her, followed by Meryl, Millie, Wolfwood, Jet, Faye, and Spike taking up the rear. (Ed and Ein had been left behind in the room, asleep.)
Spike groused for a bit in the back. He didn't like it when people kept things from him. Of course, he wasn't one to talk. If Nightingale hadn't revealed all that stuff about the Red Dragon Syndicate and Vicious, Spike probably would have never done it and left his friends in the dark. Still, it wasn't the same when it was being done to you.
Ah well, it looks like a bunch of shit is about to go down. And when it does, I'll be ready.
 
 
The human in front of Knives stopped abruptly. As both came to a halt, yellow lights began flashing in the hallways. Knives and Legato's mind-controlled human exchanged looks before resuming their fast pace towards the escape pods.
“Warning! Yellow alert has now been activated! A prisoner has escaped. Repeat: a prisoner has escaped! Be warned, the escapee may be armed and is extremely dangerous. He is a man with light blonde hair and blue eyes. This is not a drill!” a voice blared from one of the overhead speakers.
Knives smirked. Did those pathetic humans really believe they could subdue him? Ridiculous creatures. If anything, they should be avoiding him, not actively seeking him and their own deaths. While Knives was unable to fire his Angel Arm in this confined space, his black hangun still functioned normally. In addition, Legato had recently supplied Knives with ammunition.
Suddenly, a human garbed in a grey uniform, much like the one belonging to the human Legato was controlling, stepped out from behind a corner. All three froze. After a moment of staring, the officer in question swiftly drew his own gun and pointed it at Knives.
Knives stared at the gun, a bored expression on his face. “Do you really believe you are capable of shooting me successfully? Do you even know who I am?”
“I don't give a damn who you are,” the officer said calmly. “All I know is that I am under orders to bring you in. So, are you going to come quietly?”
Knives shook his head in mock sadness. “Such a pity.” Then, his mouth curled into a cruel sneer. “Had you not been so unfortunate, you might have lived a little while longer. Perhaps even long enough to see Judgement Day.”
A gunshot echoed through the hallway. The officer slumped over, his blood a crimson pool around his fallen body. Knives stepped over him disdainfully. Knives looked down at the pathetic creature as his life's blood seeped out of him. Legato's human bent over the dying officer and grinned.
“But...why...Sam...?” the man gasped out before he took a last rattling breath, eyes glazing over as he died.
Knives stared down at the man Legato had killed. He had no regrets. The fool had gotten in his way. He had even had the nerve to point a gun at him, Knives! Such insolence could not be tolerated. The spider had deserved his fate.
“Master, we must hurry. It will not be long before we are discovered.”
“Lead the way, then.”
As Knives continued to follow Legato, he couldn't stop thinking about the human he had just killed. He had been a parasite. Nothing more than a disease, a plague capable of such horrors. Nothing more, nothing less.
But, if that is indeed the truth, why am I attempting to justify my actions?
 
 
Vash heard the gunshot go off. All color drained from his face as the sound echoed through the ship. Then, he shoved his way past Nightingale at a sprint, ignoring his companions shouts for him to come back. He ignored them as he followed the scent of gunpowder and smoke left over from the gunshot. Vash skidded to a halt.
Vash stared down at the corpse of the officer, his blood seeping all over the floor. Vash's eyes began to water, and the tears slid down his cheeks. This officer, whoever he was, hadn't deserved to die, not like this. He had only been doing his job, after all. For Knives to up and kill an innocent like this was...unforgiveable.
Vash didn't bother to wipe the tears away. He stepped over the man's corpse and began to run. As he ran, the tears slowly dried, making the places where the tears trailed across his face feel stiff. However, Vash didn't care. All that mattered to Vash was finding Knives and bringing him to justice, once and for all.
Then, as Vash made another sharp turn, he saw them. Vash stopped and stared. The escape pods of this ship, they were so similar, if not identical, to the ones that had been on the Project SEEDS ship all those years ago.
Vash's fury at his brother faded slightly as he gazed miserably at the pods. It was in a place just like this where Vash had lost Rem so long ago. She had stayed behind to save the humans. Vash never saw her again. It was also in a very similar escape pod that Knives had first revealed his disdain and hatred for humanity. It almost seemed like yesterday when Knives had beaten Vash savagely for comparing him to humans after they had landed on Gunsmoke. All those years wandering in the desert alone, the guns, July, Augusta...
“So, brother, have you come to wish me well?”
Vash was startled out of his reverie at the sound of his brother's voice. Vash whirled around to see Knives standing right outside the open door of a pod. What surprised Vash was the grey-uniformed human standing next to his brother.
“What have you done to him?” Vash growled.
“Absolutely nothing.”
“Don't play games with me, Knives. I'm warning you.”
“You are in no position to be dealing out threats, Vash the Stampede,” a low, smooth voice said.
Vash narrowed his eyes. That voice... “Legato!”
The human grinned insanely. “Indeed, Vash the Stampede. I am pleased you remember me.”
“How could I forget,” Vash snarled, “after what you did to me?”
“I did nothing you weren't already capable of. I merely gave you...an incentive.”
“Do you call destroying an entire town `incentive'? You sick bastard!”
“Temper, temper, dear brother,” Knives interrupted. “I can see you are still rather touchy about that subject. What do you say we move on to another, shall we?”
“Oh, and what subject would that be, Knives? Let me think...oh, yes. How could I forget? Why don't we talk about how you killed Rem? Or her last relative? Or countless other people who never did anything to you, including the dead officer back there? You want more? I could go on like this for days.”
“Dear brother, is there even a point to your incessant rambling?”
“Knives, you're a murderer!”
“Are you trying to flatter me?”
“Knives,” Vash began again, “Rem didn't raise us so this could happen. She never wanted-”
“Silence!”
Vash stared at his brother, somewhat shocked. He had never seen Knives loose his cool like this before. Knives's face was flushed with rage, as if all the emotions he had kept under lock and key for so long had finally broken free.
“Rem this. Rem that. Can't you hear yourself, brother? That damnable woman brainwashed you! She duped you, and you were fool enough to believe her!”
“Knives, she wouldn't do that. She was like our mother.”
“She was not our mother! What kind of mother allows her children's siblings to die because of torture?”
Vash didn't answer. Knives grinned maniacally. “Oh yes, Vash. Your perfect Rem was a sinner, too. Remember, Vash? Remember Tessla? I know you do. You read the report. You saw her dismembered corpse. Just like I did. So tell me, dear brother, why do you insist upon defending these parasitic organisms known as humans?”
Vash stared at Knives sadly. “Because, no one has the right to take the life of another.”
“Idealistic nonsense, Vash. Have you nothing more to say?”
Vash merely stared back at his deranged twin, a sad look on his face.
“Well, Vash, as entertaining as this has been, I have to be somewhere. Therefore, I shall bid you farewell.”
As Knives entered the pod, Vash began to charge after him. Then, Vash felt something hard hit the back of his head. As the world began to grow dark and fuzzy, he caught a glimpse of the human controlled by Legato stepping out from behind him. Somehow, he had snuck behind Vash while he and Knives were talking. The last thing Vash saw, was his brother's arctic blue eyes gazing back at him through the pod's windows.
Knives, why...?
 
 
Yep. Chapter 21 is over. Was it good? Bad? So-so? Anyways, review for me now so I know if I'm losing my touch or getting better at this writing business.