Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction / Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Cowboy Bebop Meets Trigun ❯ Close At Hand ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: By this time, surely everyone knows I own nothing except the characters I create. Right?
 
A/N: Well, this chapter is a little fluffy, I think. Not too much so, though. Also, there is a little interesting something at the end that might interest you readers. And don't you dare skip down to the bottom! The other parts are good, too! Now, on to Chapter 20! (Wow, what a big number!)
 
 
Chapter 20: Close At Hand
 
“Have you made any progress in your search?”
Legato was sitting with the man who called himself Vicious. For the past several days, Vicious had contributed men and supplies to repair the Omega. So far the man had been true to his word, which stuck Legato as suspicious. This human was a dangerous individual, although Legato himself never felt threatened by him. After all, was he not chosen by the Master to bear his own siblings left arm?
Nevertheless, Vicious had proven himself to be ruthless and efficient in everything he did. A desireable quality. Perhaps this human would be useful to the Master after they freed him. One never knew. Vicious had all the makings of a Gung-Ho Gun.
In any case, the ship had been repaired a day ago. After that, Vvious's ship and the Omega had taken off after the other two ships. All that remained was to discover their location, a task Vicious had assumed.
Vicious nodded. “Yes. We discovered the two ships leaving Mars a few days ago.”
“And their destination?”
Vicious smirked. “You don't need to know.”
Suddenly, Vicious found his own blade at his throat at his own hand.
Legato grinned. “I believe it would be in your own best interests to tell me.”
Vicious grinned back. “On the contrary. It would be in your best interests to keep me alive, not kill me.”
The girn faded slightly from Legato's face. The human was right. He and the Gung-Ho Guns were in an unfamiliar enviornment. They needed this human's familiarity with this place to get where they wanted to go. Legato was not pleased. He released Vicious, who sheethed his blade, still grinning.
“You are fortunate that you are still of use. I would kill anyone else who spoke in that manner to me,” Legato said, his voice in deadly earnest.
Vicious returned the cold smile. “So would I.”
The threats hung in the air, and silence pervaded the room for a long time.
Finally, Vicious broke the ice. “Come now. We shouldn't strain our mutually benficial arrangement like this.”
Legato nodded slightly. “Then, answer me this, how long will it take to catch up to them?”
Vicious grinned. “A day or so.”
Legato smile his empty smile. Both men, more aptly labeled “monsters”, stared back at each other, their grins a reflection of their dark souls.
 
 
Vash sighed. All this work with mental powers, despite the challenge of it, was getting boring. He had been practicing for a long time now, but without someone to test his prowess against, he had no idea how far he was progressing. The last time he had seen Nightingale, recently revealed to be his cousin, she had acted strangely. Then, Meryl had come to visit.
“Meryl, I have something to tell you.”
“What?”
Vash hesitated.
“Come on, Vash, you can tell me.”
“I don't know where to start.”
“Vash, tell me.”
Vash took a deep breathe. “Nightingale, she's my cousin.”
Vash watched, very frightened, as the emotions on Meryl's face shifted from surprise, to disbelief, to anger.
“Is that all you wanted to tell me?” Meryl asked in her dangerous voice.
“Um...” Was this supposed to be some kind of trick question?
Meryl tapped her foot impatiently. “Well? I'm waiting, Vash.”
“Yeah...”
Meryl looked about ready to explode. “THAT'S IT? AFTER EVERYTHING THAT'S HAPPENED, YOU'VE ONLY JUST NOW FIGURED IT OUT? AND HERE YOU LED ME ON, MAKING ME THINK YOU WERE GOING TO TELL ME SOMETHING IMPORTANT!”
Vash gulped. “What do you mean?”
“What I mean is that, how could have possibly have not figured it out for yourself, you idiot?” Meryl growled. “All the things she can do, her teaching you things about yourself even you don't know, how coud you not know?”
“Um, I dunno.”
Meryl huffed. “It's because you're an idiot, that's why.”
Hey! That's not very nice!”
Meryl sniffed. “Nice or not, it's true.”
“Meryl...” Vash said questioningly.
“What?” she snapped.
“You said you were expecting me to say something important. Like what?”
“...”
“Meryl?”
“It's...nothing.” Without another word, she stormed out of the room.
Vash sighed. Why was it that women were so hard to figure out? Especially a certain short girl Vash knew. She could be so sweet, so caring one moment, and then the next, she could be like a raging typhoon. It was really confusing.
The sound of the door sliding open shook Vash from his thoughts. Vash turned. It was none other than a certain priest garbed in black.
“How ya doin', Needle Noggin?”
“Wolfwood, why do you keep calling me that?”
Wolfwood grinned. “It suits you, Needle Noggin.”
“Can't you call me something else?”
Wolfwood had a mock thoughtful look on his face. “Well, I guess I could always call you `Spiky.'”
Vash groaned. “Please don't.”
“All right, then! Needle Noggin it is!”
Vash grumbled for a moment before becoming silent. Wolfwood pulled up a chair next to Vash and sat down.
“So, how're things?”
“They're ok, I guess,” Vash said. “I'm getting better with this mind stuff, and-”
“That's not what I meant,” Wolfwood interrupted, a mischevious gleam in his eye.
“Oh.”
Wolfwood sighed. “You had a fight with Meryl, didn't you?”
Vash stared at him in surprise. “How'd you know?”
Wolfwood laughed. “It's written all over your face! So,” Wolfwood asked, more serious now, “what happened?”
So, Vash told him. He even included the bit about Nightingale being his cousin, which caused Wolfwood to blink. Then, he repeated the exchange he and Meryl had had. When he was done, Wolfwood sat back and rubbed his chin.
“So, you have a cousin. I wonder if Knives knows.”
“I don't know. But seriously Wolfwood, what did I say?”
Wolfwood grinned. “Actually, I don't think it's a matter of what you said. More like, what you didn't say.”
“Huh?”
“Come on now, Needle Noggin! Don't tell me you don't know!”
“Know what?”
Wolfwood shook his head in mock pity. “You really don't know, you?”
“Know what?” Vash asked, somewhat irritated now.
Wolfwood winked. “If you don't know, I'm ure as hell not going to tell you.”
“Oh, come on, Wolfwood!” Vash whined.
Wolfwood crossed his arms over his chest, a grin on his face. “Nope! Not gonna say anything.”
Vash glowered at him. “Fine! Keep your secrets!”
“I will,” Wolfwood said smugly.
“So, what about you?” Vash asked, trying to get on another topic.
“What about me?”
“I mean, what about you and Millie?”
“Me and Millie? Whatever do you mean, Needle Noggin?” Wolfwood asked innocently.
Vash grinned. “You know what I'm talking about.”
Wolfwood winked. “Things are good.”
Vash raised an eyebrow. “How good?”
“If you're implying what I think you are, Vash, no, things have not gotten that good.”
“Me? Implying something? I don't know what you're talking about, Preacher Man,” Vash said innocently.
Wolfwood laughed. “Oh, I'm sure you do!”
Vash grinned. “Maybe...”
“Ah-HA! An admission of guilt!” Wolfwood said triumpantly.
“Fine, fine! Call it whatever you want! Sticks and stone may break my bones, but words will never hurt me!” Vash announced.
Wolfwood grinned evilly. “Be careful, Needle Noggin. You just might have those sticka dns tones thrown at you to see if you really are impervious to them.”
“And let me guess. You'll be the one chucking them at me, right?”
“Of course! Someone has to keep you in line!”
The two friends laughed heartily. They had come a long way from where they had been even a few days ago. Laughing felt really good. After their laughter died down into occassional chuckles, Wolfwood stood up.
“Well, Needle Noggin, it's been fun, but I think I better be going now.”
“Ok, Preacher Man. See ya later, then.”
“See ya, Needle Noggin,” Wolfwood said as he walked out the door.
Vash watched as the door slid shut. He got up and began pacing around his room, a thoughtful look on his face.
So, it was something I didn't say. I wonder what that could be...
 
 
Spike sat on the bed in his room, chin in his right hand, as he began to thik about the past couple days. So much had happened. All that stuff Nightingale had told them about the Red Dragon Syndicate was mind boggling. If someone had told Spike all this stuff just a week or so ago, he would have lughed in their faces and asked if they had a few screws loose.
Vicious was still out there. That much Spike was sure of. Since Spike had survived the incidednt at the chapel, so had Vicious. The two had been like brothers, but now, they were two sides of the same coin. The existed together yet separately.
Spike grimaced. By that analogy, both would perish together. I should probably think of a better one.
Spike thought for a while until he realized the same was true for Vash and his brother Knives. Two sides of the same coin, different, so different. Since they were such opposites, maybe they would be able to escape that fate. Spike didn't plan on dying, but he would be prepared for it if necessity demanded it.
Suddenly, Spike heard the door to his room slide open. Faye stood in the doorway, hands on her hips, glaring menacingly.
What have I done now?
Faye marched into the room. “Spike, you lazy ass, how long do you plan on sitting around and moping in here?”
Spike sighed. “Faye, why is it that every single time you barge in on me like this, I always have the same thing to”
Faye narrowed her eyes. “And what's that?”
“Not in the mood.”
“Tough! Just because you learned some not-so-good things about your past doesn't mean you get to mope around all the time!”
Spike blinked. “Faye, it's none of your business. Why do you care?”
Faye flushed. “I dont!” she huffed.
“Then, why are you in here?”
Faye looked down, biting her lip. “I don't know.”
Spike blinked. Well, that's weird. “You don't know?”
Faye glared at him. “Don't look so smug. I only came in here because you won't stop moping. I'm pissed off because you haven't been irritaating me lately.”
What did she say? “Let me get this straight. You're pissed because you haven't been pissed recently?”
Faye scowled. “Old habits die hard, you jackass. Besides,” she said dismissively, “you have less reason than most to mope around.”
It was Spike's turn to narrow his eyes. “And how would you know?”
“First of all, that idiot Vash the Stampede has had it worse than you by a long shot, and you know it. I don't see him moping around, do you? Secondly...” Her voice trailed off.
“Secondly?”
Faye looked down. “At least you still have your memory.”
Spike's expression softened slightly, his face taking on a somewhat curious cast. Since when does Faye think about things like this?
Spike rubbed the back of his neck. “Well, I guess you got me there.”
Faye smirked. “Of course I do. I'm not the one who's a stupid ass.”
Usually, Spike would snap back a witty reply, but he didn't feel like it. Besides, Faye had made some good points, even if the last one was kind of iffy. But still, she was probably right about him not moping. Now that everyone knew about his past, he didn't have anything to hide anymore, although he would probably still internalize a lot of stuff. Still, his friends were there.
Friends...
Spike savored the word in his mind. He hadn't thought of people in terms of friendship in a long time. Jet had been a comrade-in-arms, Ein was just a dog (albeit a smart one), Ed was...just Ed, and Faye...
Faye was a complicated woman. Bitchy, whiny, a tomboy, Faye represented everything Spike couldn't stand about the female species although it was a lot of fun to give her a hard time. Still, this side of herself that she had just shone, it was different. It was, warm, solumn, yet sad. Of course, she had covered it up immediately, but it was still there. Spike wondered at it.
“Hello? Anybody home?”
Spike blinked. Faye was waving her hand in front of his face and snapping her fingers occassionally, as if to wake him up from some dream. That annoying smirk wasn't present however. Spike caught her hand.
Faye blinked. Suprisingly enough, she didn't try to yank her hand away. The two of them just stood there, staring into the others eyes, one set emerald green, the other brown. Neither spoke, not willing to ruin the moment.
“Faye-Faye! Where are you?”
The door slid open and Ed ran into the room. Spike felt Faye's hand slip from his grasp. Ed looked from one to the other, a happy smile on her face. Then, she grabbed on of Faye's hands and began to pull her out of the room.
“Come on, Faye-Faye! Ed wants you to play with Ed!”
“Why don't you get Millie to do it?” Faye asked.
“Because, Faye-Faye, Millie-person is playing chess with Wolfy-wood!”
Spike chuckled. “And how's he doing?”
Ed smiled even wider. “Wolfy-wood is losing.”
Spike laughed. “Well, in that case, you better go play with Ed, Faye.”
Faye glowered at him. “Why don't you do it?”
“Faye, I'm still recovering from mopeyness. Have a heart, won't you?” Spike asked innocently.
Faye grumbled and muttered something about him being a pathetic piece of shit before she allowed Ed to drag her from the room. Spike grinned.
Who knew Faye would be the one to lift me out of my funk...
 
 
Knives sat at the table, drumming his finger tips on the surface. The past few days had passed slowly. Nothing remotely interesting had occurred. Granted, Nightingale had continued to come, bringing food with her. They still ate together, but neither of them even attempted to have a conversation.
Ever since that night when she had sparred with him, Nightingale had seemed distant. She hadn't said one word to him since then. Not that Knives missed her often impudent comments. However, the silence between the two was an awkward one, and Knives didn't understand why. But, Knives had determined that he would not be the one to try to break the silence.
That woman perplexed him. Nightingale's mannerisms were similar to his own, the same formal speech, the same often emotionless face, and the list could go on. However, they differed on one major issue: humans. Filthy, disgusting creatures! They deserved extermination! However, despite their similarities, Knives and Nightingale could not agree on that one issue. It was infuriating! She was quite obviously not ignorant of the plight of plants, yet she refused to do anything about it, unlike his idiot twin brother who didn't know much of anything.
Not only that, but Knives was beginning to be affected by her. Yes! That foolish woman who had somehow wriggled her way into his mind, without the use of her mental powers, and left her mark there. What she had said about humans had been true enough, that they sought to improve their condition. However, at what cost would they do so? Nightingale failed to see the price of humanity's progress: the death and destruction of their own race! Had she learned nothing from the lesson of Tessla?
Knives knew what had to be done. He had to escape this blasted ship and prove once and for all that humans were vile, unclean creatures that needed to be annihilated before plants became extinct!
Suddenly, the door to Knives's room slid open. Knives looked up, expecting Nightingale. However, it was not her. It was a human.
Knives narrowed his eyes. What was a human doing here? Nighitngale had said that she would be the only one to visit him. Then, as he scrutinized the grey-garbed human, he noticed something unusual. The filthy spider's eyes were blank and unseeing. Knives had seen that look before.
Knives grinned. “I see you took your sweet time, Legato.”
The human bowed. “I appologize, my Master. I was delayed.”
Knives made a dismissive gesture. “No matter. You are here now. I assume you have an escape plan in mind?”
The human grinned insanely. “But, of course, Master! Follow me.”
Knives quickly put his space suit on, which had been cleaned. Then, he followed the mind-controlled human out the door into a maze of hallways. Knives grinned. He was free again.
“Master, before we proceed any farther, I have something for you.”
“What is it?
The human held out something wrapped in a white cloth. Knives took it and felt a familiar weight settle in his hand. He unwrapped the item. In his hand, Knives found the gleaming, black handgun that had so long been at his side. The second piece needed to create the Angel Arm.
“I thought you might need that, Master.”
Knives grinned insanely. Beware, humans. The day of judgement is close at hand.
 
 
So, people, what'd you think of Chapter 20? Kind of fluffy, with all the conversations between people, but the end is interesting, yes?