Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction / Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Cowboy Bebop Meets Trigun ❯ Touching a Nerve ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I would have to be really good to own them, wouldn't I?
 
A/N: Another day, another chapter. It's longer than some of my others. As the title would imply, this chapter involves getting under people's skins, both in a bad way and a good way. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it!
 
 
Chapter 19: Touching a Nerve
 
Nightingale walked purposefully through her ship. It was time for yet another training session with Vash. For the past several days, he had been progressing well enough as far as hiding his memories behind the doors of his mind. However, some memories continued to make themselves known, mostly the more horrific ones. However, the more control Vash gained over his memories, the less damage they would do to his psyche.
In addition to Nightingale's training, Vash also received much support from his friends, especially Meryl Stryfe. Everyday, she would go visit and share a meal with him. What they talked about when they were alone was a mystery that Nightingale did not care to solve. One time, however, his friend Jet had asked why it was taking so long to arrive at their destination. When Nightingale explained that there were no hyperspace gates to GENE HQ to keep its location less accessible, he had grumbled a bit. However, it was enough that Vash was progressing.
Knives, on the other hand, was an entirely different class of problem. Nightingale's brow furrowed slightly. Ever since their debate over humanity, Knives had not spoken a word to her, and she had not spoken either. She delivered his meals, ate them with him silently, cleared the plates away, and left. This routine had been going on for a while now. Perhaps it was time to change that.
Nightingale smirked. I suppose we could have a sparring match today.
However, first she had to pay Vash a visit to see how he was progressing. He practiced on his own a great deal, and that did help his progress. He also seemed determined to get what she was teaching him right. However, he had yet to face the most serious challenge in his training. It was time he attempted to repel someone who was actively trying to invade his mind.
Nightingale arrived at Vash's room. She placed her hand on the scanner. As the green light moved swiftly across her hand, she thought, I wonder if he'll be able to handle it.
 
 
Vash was sitting on his bed, eyes closed, when he heard the door slide open. He didn't bother to open his eyes to see who it was. He already knew.
“Still practicing, I see.”
Vash opened his eyes. “Yeah.”
Nightingale's lips twitched. “You are an enthusiastic student.”
Vash stretched a bit. “I have a good teacher.”
Nightingale drew up a chair in front of Vash. “It is time for you to attempt one of the most difficult things I am going to teach you.”
“Which is?”
“Blocking someone from your mind.”
Vash stiffened. What Knives had done to him in their last battle was still fresh on his mind. The pain had been indescribable.
Nightingale had a knowing look on her face. “I see you remember what happened before. However, with my training, such a thing will not happen.”
Vash smiled weakly. “How do you know?”
“Experience. I visit your brother everyday. I have never been assaulted mentally by him.”
Vash gaped. “You visit Knives everyday?”
“Yes. No one else is qualified.”
Vash stared. “And Knives lets you?”
The corners of Nightingale's mouth twitched again. “It's not like he has any say in the matter. He would not be able to eat if not for me.”
“Oh,” Vash said, not very satisfied with the answer. Something else was going on, but he made a mental note to himself to ask her about it at the end of the lesson.
“Are you ready to begin?”
Vash started. “Um, how do I start?”
“First, you must clear your mind of all thoughts.”
“Right. Gotcha.” Vash closed his eyes and almost instantly found himself in the room that was his mind. It was clear.
`Now what?'
`Now, you must envision a sort of block or barrier around your mind.'
Vash struggled with that for a moment before he managed to picture a wall in his mind's eye.
`Ok. Done.'
`Very well. Now, I am going to attempt to break into your mind. There may be some discomfort, especially if your barrier does not hold. Are you prepared?'
`Yeah, I'm ready.'
A split second later, Vash began to feel pressure being applied to the wall he had erected. It felt like someone was pounding on it in an attempt to break it down. As the pressure increased, Vash found it more and more difficult to maintain his concentration. The wall began to quiver, not only from the blows, but the lack of support behind it.
Suddenly, the wall gave way. Vash felt pain. It wasn't as pronounced or excruciating as when Knives had done it, but it still hurt. A lot. Images began to flash in his mind. Rem, the Great Fall, July, Augusta, and many more.
“Wake up!”
Vash felt someone slap his face. He sat up with a start. “Who, what, when, where, why?”
Nightingale was leaning over him, scrutinizing him carefully. “It would appear that the strain was too much on your mind. I appologize. I had forgotten that Knives merely sent messages of pain through your nervous system as opposed to actively attempting to break into your mind.”
“Um, could you explain that in English, please?”
Nightingale blinked. “Your brother did break into your mind. However, he did not try to read it. He heard your surface thoughts, of course, but that is different from digging through one's memories. He merely sent signals of pain to your nervous system.”
“Oh. So, what does this have to do with my lesson?”
“It means that I made a mistake.”
Vash stared. The way she say the word “mistake” made it sound like a dirty swear word.
“So, what are we going to do then?”
Nightingale rubbed her brow. “I suppose I will have to show you how to strengthen your barrier before we attempt this particular exercise again.
“That sounds good. So, what happenes when your barrier gets really strong?”
“Eventually, the barrier will maintain itself without constant concentration. At that point, no one will be able to penetrate your mind unless you allow them.”
Vash looked down at his feet. “So, does that mean that no one will be able to control your mind, either?”
Nightingale blinked. “Why do you ask?”
Vash hesitated. “It's just that, I've had some problems with that. Not exactly mind control, but something else...” His voice trailed off.
“I see.”
Vash looked up at her. Nightingale seemed deep in thought. Her voice had been filled with understanding. After several days of watching Vash try to shove his memories behind the doors of his own mind, Nightingale had most definitely found out about the two incidents where Vash used his Angel Arm, but not of his own free will. She had never brought it up (for which Vash was very grateful), but it had still lingered in the back of Vash's mind.
“Well, I have never encountered someone who could control a person's body. I would think, however, that controlling one's body requires controlling some aspect of the body's nervous system. When your mind has its barrier, that is virtually impossible to access.”
Vash sighed with relief. “Good.”
“Now,” Nightingale sounded business-like once more, “shall I show you how to strengthen your mental barrier.”
“Definitely.”
And so, they toiled. Nightingale showed Vash some techniques for strengthening the mental barrier. Vash attempted them all and managed to make it somewhat stronger. After that, Nightingale tried to break into Vash's mind again. They repeated this several times. Eventually, Vash didn't pass out anymore, and the barrier held longer. However, Vash never managed to keep Nightingale out, only delay her advance.
“Man, no matter how hard I try, I can't keep you out of my mind,” Vash grumbled, the pain in his head a dull ache a few minutes after their latest attempt.
“Remember, I have had a great deal more time than you to master this,” Nightingale said.
“Great. Now I have a question. How did you learn all this stuff anyway?”
“Much the way your brother did. I taught myself.”
“WHAT?” Vash exclaimed. “But he's had over a century of practice!”
Nightingale stiffened. “I have had a similar amount of time to practice, also.”
“What do you mean by that? Wait,” Vash gaped at her, “does that mean your a-”
“Yes. I am an autonomous plant angel, much like you and your brother. In fact, I do believe we are cousins.”
Vash sat back in disbelief, pain forgotten. “I have a cousin...”
Suddenly, he began to wail. “Oh! This is a great day! I have a cousin!” He jumped up, ready to hug her.
Nightingale's eyes were like chips of ice. “Do. Not. Touch. Me.”
Vash sat down. He had never seen Nightingale like this. Her jaw seemed tight, and her eyes were stone cold. Her entire body was stiff. He stared at her in disbelief. Had he really done something so wrong? Then, he noticed, she wasn't even looking at him. Well, she was, but Nightingale seemed to be staring straight through him, beyond him, beyond everything.
Suddenly, she blinked. Her entire body visibly relaxed, and her eyes took on their characteristic emotionless cast once again. Vash continued to stare. There was something weird going on here.
“I...appologize for my behavior,” Nightingale said, her voice hesistant. “I like my personal space. That's all.”
Vash raised an eyebrow. I seriously doubt that's it.
Nightingale stood up abruptly. “I have some matters I need to attend to. Please, excuse me.” Without another word, she left the room.
Vash sat on his bed, staring at the door. This whole thing was becoming complicated. Nightingale was his cousin, yet she had looked almost ready to kill when he had tried to embrace her.
What was that all about?
 
 
Wolfwood lay on his bed, staring up at the ceiling of his room. His Cross Punisher sat idly in the corner, leaning against the wall. The shadows that lingered on it gave it a wicked look.
Wolfwood sat up and sighed. Life was so dull now. No action, no adventure, no life-or-death situations to get out of. Everything was calm and ordered on this ship. Not like the Bebop where Spike and Faye were constantly getting into fights (much to Wolfwood's amusement). Of course, they still did (Wolfwood could hear them even when he was in his room) but not as much. It amazed Wolfwood that they hadn't admitted they had at least some feelings for each other. Of course, Spike seemed to have feelings for that Julia woman, but Wolfwood didn't think it would hinder him too much in the long run.
Vash and Meryl seemed to be getting along pretty well to. Of course, when everyone else went with her to see him, she acted the same way she always had: exasperated to no end with Vash. However, when they were alone (something that was getting more and more frequent), Wolfwood was sure they acted differently. He had no proof, but he was sure of it.
And as for me and my big girl, she deserves to know the truth...about me.
The door slid open. “Excuse me, Mr. Priest?”
Wolfwood smiled. It was his big girl.
“Yeah, big girl?”
“Have you seen Meryl? I can't seem to find her anywhere.”
Wolfwood shrugged. “She probably went to visit Needle Noggin. She seems to be doing that a lot lately.”
Millie smiled widely. “You're right, Mr. Priest. I'm glad Meryl and Mr. Vash are finally getting some alone time. They've liked each other for a while now.”
Wolfwood smiled. That's my big girl. Always perceptive. “Yeah. So tell me, big girl, how've you been?”
“Oh, I've been great, Mr. Priest! You know, Ed is such a nice girl! Really smart to! I can't seem to beat her at chess, though. We always tie.”
“Keeps you busy, though, doesn't it?”
“Yeah. Well,” Millie began, “I guess I'll go see what Ed is up to. She always seems to get herself into something.”
Wolfwood caught her hand as she turned to leave. “Mr. Priest?” she asked, puzzled.
“Could you stay with me for a minute?”
“Oh, um, sure.”
She sat down on the bed beside him. “So, what do you want to talk about?”
“Do you remember what Jet asked me when Vash and Knives were fighting?”
“Yes.”
Wolfwood sighed. “Do you want to know the answer to that question?”
Millie blinked. “Do you want to tell me?”
“...I do.”
“...Ok.”
So, Wolfwood told her everything. His involvement with the Gung-Ho Guns, his assignment from Knives, his teacher Chapel, the December orphans, everything. It took a while, and Wolfwood left nothing out.
Millie didn't interrupt him as he laid it all out before her. Her face seemed uncharacteristically solumn. When Wolfwood was finished, she was silent for a long time. Wolfwood wondered what she was thinking about.
“Why haven't you said anything?”
“Anything?” Millie asked.
“About what I just told you, damnit!”
“Oh. Well, I guess I don't know what to say. But...”
“But...?”
Millie looked up at him and smiled. “I think you've changed a lot, Mr. Priest. You're not the same person you were, and you've quit working for Mr. Knives, haven't you?”
Wolfwood frowned slightly in thought. “I was ordered to protect him. It was my job to be there for him. But, that doesn't matter anymore. I honestly want to do those things, regardless of any order I was given.”
“See?” Millie said cheerfully. “Everything's fine, Mr. Priest.”
“Yeah, you're right.” Then, without any warning, Wolfwood leaned forward and hugged her, whispering, “Call me Nick.”
Millie was still for a moment before returning the hug., replying, “Sure thing, Nick.”
They stayed that way for a long time, taking comfort in each other's warmth. Then, a few hours later, Millie pulled herself away from him, her eyes sparkling. Without another word, she left the room, a brilliant smile on her face.
Wolfwood watched her go. Damn! I must be the luckiest man in the world!
 
 
Knives heard the door to his room slide open. He didn't bother to see who it was. He already knew. That foolish woman who honestly believed humans and plants could coexist. Such nonsense! Humans were parasites that needed to be exterminated!
Knives frowned. Then why is what she said to me eating away at my mind?
Knives glared at Nightingale coldly as she rolled the tray of food into the room. She ignored him and began to fill her plate full of food. She sat down at the table and began to eat. Not long after, Knives did the same.
A few minues passed. The only sound was the clinking of utensils and plates. Knives found himself glancing at her now and then. Her lips were pursed. The expression on her face was hard and cold. Knives recognized that look. He had seen it on his own face many times.
Knives curled his lips. I wonder what has you so out of sorts today, woman.
“Finish your food quickly. We are leaving in a few minutes.”
Knives stared at her. “I am leaving this prison of a room? Why?” he asked suspiciously.
She looked at him straight in the eye. “There is not enough room to spar in here.”
“Spar?”
“You do know how to wield a katana, do you not?”
Knives's eyes narrowed. “Of course I do, woman. I merely want to know why you have suddenly decided to allow a dangerous individual such as myself out of this room.”
“It is my assignment to look after your well-being. Wouldn't you say exercise is included in that?”
Knives narrowed his eyes some more. What is she up to?
Nightingale stood up. “Come with me.”
Knives stood up. He followed her to the door. Possibilities began to click in his mind. By accompanying Nightingale, Knives could learn more about the layout of the ship. That might facillitate his escape. Also, after the humilliating experience he had suffered at her hands the first time he had met her, Knives was ready to grasp an opportunity to put her in her place, namely, as his subordinate.
Nightingale faced him, her eyes narrowing. “You are forbidden to use your mental abilities. If you do, I will sense it. And,” she said in deadly earnest, “I will not hesitate to stop you with extreme prejudice if necessary. Do you understand?”
Knives almost laughed at her impudence. Despite the fact that she was a superior being like himself, she could not possibly assume to command him. No one could. However, he simply said, “I understand.”
“Good.”
Nightingale opened the door and stepped out into the hall with Knives close behind her. She walked quickly through the maze of hallways. Knives followed her closely, carefully scrutinizing and memorizing every detail of the ship. The most interesting thing about the ship was that no one appeared to be on it. It was as if Nightingale had planned the entire thing so no one would see.
How interesting...
Finally, they stopped outside another door, which looked very much like the rest of the doors except for markings above the door itself. Two swords crossed in the shape of an “X”. Nightingale placed her hand on the scanner. A few seconds later, the door opened, and the two stepped inside.
The room was large and expansive, yet non-descript. There was a mat covering the entire floor, soft yet supportive. Nightingale stopped and removed her boots. Then, she looked at him expectantly. Knives did the same.
Then, Nightingale walked over to the far end of the room to another door. After another quick scan, she disappeared inside it for a few minutes before re-emerging with another katana. She was also wearing a white yukata that stopped slightly above her knees, and her black hair was held up with a claw-like clip. She tossed a piece of clothing to him. Knives caught it.
“Put those on.” She pointed towards the door.
Knives walked into the room without a word. Then, after removing his own clothes, he put on the clothes she had given him. When he stepped out of the room, he was wearing loose white pants and white undershirt. He stepped into the center of the room. She was waiting for him, katana in hand.
She tossed him the other. He caught it deftly with one hand. He smoothly drew the katana from its sheeth. Nightingale fluidly struck a fighing pose. Knives did the same. The moments ticked by slowly.
Then, Nightingale charged. She attempted to slash across his chest, but he easily blocked it. The two blades clashed, making a clacking noise at first contact. They remained that way for a while, arms trembling as each tried to shove the other back.
Then, they broke a apart, leaping back, only to immediately attack again. Nightingale was on and off the offensive, constantly switching tactics trying to throw Knives off his guard. Knives, on the other hand, was mostly on the defensive, blocking Nightingale's strike by slightly shifting his blade each time.
Suddenly, Knives attempted to swipe at her legs. Nightingale nimbly sidestepped it, responding with a quick thrust. Knives batted her katana away, attempting to slash her arm. Nightingale got a away, but barely. Knives then went on the offensive, slashing and cutting in every way possible way. Nightingale managed to block or dodge them all, but there were a few close calls.
The two backed away from each other. They began to circle, each eyeing the other warily. Both knew that the other was their equal, or better.
“Not bad,” Nightingale commented.
Knives smirked. “The same might be said of you, woman. Although, you still pale in comparison to myself.”
Nightingale's eyes narrowed. “Is that so? Well then, prove it to me, if you can!”
Nightingale charged at him, her feet flying over the floor. She brought her katana up, administering a few quick slashes before practically lunging. Each time she did so, Knives blocked her, creating a grating sound that resonated throughout the room. Each time they clashed, they looked into each other eyes, noting the determination in them. Their smooth faces furrowed with the effort, and their bodies glistend with sweat.
Then, suddenly, during one of their clashes, Knives unexpectedly let his weapon fall away. Nightingale managed to keep her balance, but her attempt to steady herself had allowed Knives a few precious seconds to get behind her. He struck out with his katana.
Knives felt his blade hit something hard. There was a clacking sound. Knives watched as something fell to the floor. It was the clip Nightingale had put in her hair. Knives looked up at her.
Nightingale had narrowly dodged the attack but had lost her clip in the process. Her long black hair tumbled down her shoulders, reaching all the way down her back. It was matted and had waves in it, probably from being in a bun so long. It fell about her face messily, giving her a wild appearance.
Knives blinked at her appearance. He had never seen her so...undignified before.
Nightingale was still for several moments before reaching for her hair. She fingered it for a moment before dropping it.
Nightingale sighed. “Having my hair down is such a bother.”
She swiftly reached down for the clip and effortlessly put her hair up again. Then, she walked into the other room. When she came out, she was wearing her standard attire again, although she still looked quite ruffled after such a hard workout. Knives also changed back into his own clothes, although they felt slightly uncomfortable and restrictive.
Then, without another word, Nightingale guided Knives back to his room, closed the door, and locked it.
Knives took a cold shower once he arrived back at his room. He toweled himself dry quickly when he was done and dressed once more. Then, he lay in bed, staring up at the ceiling.
That was unexpected...
 
 
Yes, people. Despite popular belief, Nightingale does have feelings. She got kind of touchy about stuff in this chapter didn't she? Well, in any case, I hope everyone liked the fight scene. Yes, it was short, but it was kind of hard to describe. I did my best so please don't flame me for it. Also, I thought the scene with Millie and Wolfwood was cute despite the fluffiness. I thought that I should develop their relationship a little more because I already have some development for Vash/Meryl and Spike/Faye. I think the Spike/Faye pairing still needs a little more work, though.
Anyway, I hope you liked it!
Love and Peace!