Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction / Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Cowboy Bebop Meets Trigun ❯ Divide and Conquer ( Chapter 25 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: If I owned Trigun and Cowboy Bebop, I would have made a crossover movie of them by now!
 
A/N: Here comes Chapter 25! Who likes the title? I know I do. Now, read on!
 
 
Chapter 25: Divide and Conquer
 
Meryl sat on the edge of her bed, her chin resting on the palm of her hand. She felt so useless. Vash, Wolfwood, Spike, and Nightingale were preparing for the infiltration of the Red Dragon Syndicate's headquarters. Jet and Ed were hooking up Ed's computer Tomato to the Eden's console to hack into the syndicate's network. Millie was with Wolfwood. Faye was locked in her room.
And as for me, I'm sitting here sulking. Is there really nothing I can do to help the situation? Am I just useless baggage?
Meryl sighed. Such thoughts weren't helping her self-esteem at all. She knew she had the ability to fight. They didn't call her “Derringer Meryl” for no reason. Besides, as her father had always told her, one bullet could make the difference in a difficult situation.
“It may be small, but it's power is sufficient.”
Meryl smiled wistfully. Her father had been right. Her derringers had saved her on more than one occasion. However, in a battle like this one, she was completely out of her league. She could freely admit that. Of course, that still didn't stop her from feeling helpless.
What is the real reason I'm so nervous about this whole business?
Meryl frowned. Sure, it was true that this Vicious character could continue his rampage if he wasn't stopped, especially with the Angel Annihilator. Then, of course, there was the matter of Vash's older brother Millions Knives. Even if Vash succeeded in recuing him, Knives just might continue his crusade against the human race, especially after being used as a battery in a human's diabolical schemes. Still, that wasn't the reason.
I can admit to myself, if no one else, that he is what worries me the most. I'm worried if he'll come back unhurt or even alive for that matter. Even though he irritates me sometimes, I can't help myself. I worry.
The clock was ticking. About an hour had passed since Vcious had destroyed one of the many asteroid colonies. Hopefully, that horror wouldn't be relived. Anything could go wrong with this rescue mission. It really was mind-boggling to think that the actions of so few would determine the fate of so many.
A wry smile twisted Meryl's mouth. How typical. It almost sounded like a story from out of a fairy tale. Unfortunately for them, fairy tales were just that: fairy tales. Happy endings were so rare in real life. Fables and such were bedtime storires for small children to give them hope in a world where little or no hope existed.
Since when am I so cynical? It must be these times we live in.
There was a knock on the door.
“Who is it?”
“It's me, Meryl,” came Millie's voice.
Meryl stood up, stretching slightly before walking over to the door. She unlocked it. The door slid open revealing a beaming Millie.
“Hey, Meryl! I just came to tell you that Mr. Vash, Mr. Priest, Mr. Spike, and Miss Nightingale are about to leave. Do you want to see them off?”
Meryl looked down. “Millie, I can't.”
“Huh? Why not?”
“I can't do anything to help them.”
“Meryl, that's silly! Why are you saying these things?”
“Millie, what could I possibly say now? Could I say I don't want them to go for fear of their lives? No. Could I stop them if I tried? No. So, what's the point?”
“Meryl...”
“I couldn't even say anything to him! When he said he was leaving, I didn't say anything. I couldn't. Why should I try now?”
“You're wrong, Meryl!”
Meryl stared at her friend. She had never seen Millie so vehement about anything before.
“The only reason you don't want to talk to Mr. Vash is because you're afraid he won't come back. Besides, Mr. Vash has too great a sense of responsibility to just sit around when he can help people. Even if we hadn't come on this journey, Mr. Vash still might have been put in this kind of situation. Besides,” Millie added cheerfully, “it's just like my big-big sister always said: `Never hold back in matters of the heart.'”
“Millie, how can you be so strong?”
Millie smiled. “That's simple, Meryl. Mr. Priest promised me he'd come back, and I trust him.”
Meryl couldn't help but smile. That was Millie all over. She always put such faith in people. Ever the optimist, that was Millie Thompson for you.
“Well, they're probably gone by now,” Meryl sighed.
“That's ok! You can tell him everything when he gets back! You can go nuts on him!”
“Yeah. I guess you're right...”
One things for sure, if I ever see Vash again, I have to tell him...
 
 
“Edward, are you ready?”
“Yes, Bird-Lady! Edward is ready!”
Spike, Vash, Wolfwood, and Nightingale were all standing outside the Red Dragon Syndicate's headquarters. As Spike sized up the building, he began to stare at it absently. It had been a long time since he had been here. Three years, to be exact. It didn't look the same, or rather, it didn't feel the same. Despite the fact that the building belonged to a crime syndicate, it had used to feel more welcoming. Now, however, it seemed dark and and sinister.
Or, maybe, it's just because I'm now an intruder, Spike thought wryly.
“Good,” Nightingale said into her communicator. “But, Edward, you must lower the volume of your voice or we will be discovered.”
“Oh,” Ed whispered, “sorry about that, Bird-Lady.”
“It's fine. Now, put Mr. Black on the line for a moment, please.”
“Okey-dokey. Jeeeeeeeet-perrrrrrrrsoooooooooooon!” Ed called loudly, making everyone flinch from the sound.
“Tone it down a bit, Ed,” Jet's gruff voice said.
“Awwwwwwww,” Ed pouted, who was joined by Ein whining and whimpering.
“Ugh” Jet muttered. “Anyway, you wanted to talk to me Nightingale?”
“Yes. I would prefer if you would relay conversations between Ed and ourselves. Discretion in this venture is essential.”
“Ok, fine. I'll do it. Now, what needs doing first.”
“First, tell Ed to hack into the Red Dragon Syndicate's network.”
“Wait, she can so that?” Vash asked.
Spike nodded. “Ed might not look it, but she is the foremost computer hacker in the galaxy.”
“I bet that comes in handy,” Wolfwood observed.
“Yeah, it does,” Spike replied.
“Hacky-hacking all done-done!”
“Ed says she's done hacking into the system,” Jet said, quite unnecessarily.
“Already?” Vash asked incredulously.
“Yep-yep, Vash-person!”
“Mr. Black, next, tell Edward to access the surveillance system.”
“Ed, Nightingale wants you to-”
“Ed heard Bird-Lady! All done!”
“Good,” Nightingale said, ignoring the flabbergasted expression on Vash's face and the amusement on Wolfwood's. “Now, I want you to feed them a loop.”
“A loop?” Vash and Wolfwood asked together.
“Yeah. It's a technical term for basically bypassing surveilance equipment by playing the same video clip over and over on the monitors,” Spike explained. “It prevents anyone from seeing what's actually going on.”
“Ah, I see,” Vash and Wolfwood said, but judging from their tones of voice, Spike doubted they had any idea what he had just said.
“So, which way into the lion's den?” Wolfwood asked.
“We can't go in the main entrance,” Spike explained, “so we'll have to go in a back way.”
“Uh, and what back way would that be?” Vash wondered.
Spike grinned. “Oh, you'll see.”
 
 
Damn! Why do I always end up in these kinds of predicaments?
Nicholas D. Wolfwood, Vash the Stampede, Spike Spiegel, and Nightingale were currently scrunched together in a a ventilation shaft. Luckily, Wolfwood had been able to squeeze the Cross Punisher in. Plus, thanks to the cloth wrapping, it didn't grate against the metal of the shaft. However, that didn't make it any easier to drag.
Still, despite the discomfort he had to put up with, Wolfwood was glad he came. He had a feeling Needle Noggin would be needing him at one point. After all, how often was it that one went up against a powerful crime organization that wanted to basically rule the entire galaxy with a giant weapon powered by an autonomous plant? The answer to that question would be: Not often or never.
Not only that, but Wolfwood had been going stir crazy in that ship. Of course, his big girl had been there, and they had made some progress in their relationship. Not as far as Needle Noggin had once insinuated, but they were still getting close. Merely thinking about Millie made Wolfwood smile wistfully. Like all women, she was a marvel. Not only that, but she had accepted his less than sterling past, saying that the past was over so he could move on. And so, he had made his big girl a promise to come back safely.
I intend to keep that promise.
Finally, several neck cricks, one back ache, and two head bangs on the shaft wall later, Nightingale stopped. She reached for her communicator and drew it out slowly, trying to make as little noise as possible.
“Mr. Black,” she whispered, “what is our current location?”
“Checking...” he muttered. “Ok, according to Ed's computer-”
“Tomato!” Ed chimed in.
“Ok, then, according to Tomato, you are currently above the main reactor for the Angel Annihilator.”
“Is there an outlet close by?”
“Unfortunately, no. You'll have to make your way to the end of the shaft you're currently in before you come out in a hallway. Once you reach that hallway, there is one pathway you can follow.”
“Where does it lead?” she asked.
“The area surrounding the main reactor of the Annihilator. However, the entire area is literally swarming with syndicate goons.”
“Is there any way to bypass the personnel guarding the reactor and go directly to the reactor itself?”
“Hold on while I check.”
There was the sound of something being snatched away from Jet. “Ed has already done the checking! There is another way, Bird-Lady! Through the secret passage of DOOM!”
“Give me that, Ed!” After another brief scuffle for the communicator, Jet's voice resumed. “It looks like there's a secret passageway to the reactor room from the same hallway.”
“So, should we all use the secret passage?” Vash asked.
“No,” Nightingale said firmly. “We should split up.”
“Split up? Are you crazy?” Vsh asked.
“She's right, Needle Noggin. Just think about the possibilities. Two of our group could bypass the goon squad while the other two occupy them.”
“In other words, you plan on being a decoy,” Spike observed.
Wolfwood grinned. “Basically.”
“Now the only question is, who will be the decoys?” Jet said.
“I'll be one,” Wolfwood said, grinning evilly. “I haven't had some fun in a long time.”
“Uh, I can be one,” Vash said without much conviction.
“Don't be an idiot, Needle Noggin. You have to rescue your brother. It's fine so don't worry about it.”
“Heh, I must be really transparent,” Vash said sheepishly.
“Nah, I just know how you are,” Wolfwood smirked.
“So, who's the second decoy?” Jet asked.
“I will go,” Nightingale said simply.
Everyone stared at her.
“Listen, I am the one with the communicator. Therefore, I must be paired with one who does not know the layout of this building. Mr. Spiegel does know the layout. Hopefully, his knowledge of this complex will aid Vash the Stampede. Also,” she added, giving Spike a meaningful look, “I have a feeling you will find what you have been searching for.”
Wolfwood raised his eyebrows. Well, that certainly is suspicious, but whatever. It's not my business, and I'm not one to pry.
“Then, it's settled. Vash will go with Spike to the main reactor while Wolfwood and Nightingale act as decoys. Good luck. You're gonna need it,” Jet muttered under his breath.
“No worries! Ed's friends will come back safely, yah?”
Vash smiled solemnly. “We'll try, Ed. We'll try.”
Wolfwood sighed. This had been a long journey. He couldn't believe it was already coming to a close. A lot had happened, and a lot had yet to happen. Still, he was going to see it through.
Looks like I'll get my chance at ass-kicking soon. They won't know what hit `em.
 
 
Vash walked slowly along the path ahead of him. Both he and Spike were in the secret passage. After wishing Wolfwood and Nightingale good luck and splitting up with them, they had entered the passageway. It was dark and gloomy which made Vash feel a little claustrophobic, but nothing too serious. Luckily, there were some dim lights in there so it wasn't completely impossible to see.
Glancing over at his companion, Vash noticed that Spike's gaze was focused straight ahead. The look in his eyes was steely with determination. Vash was aware of the on-going grudge between Spike and Vicious, but Vash hoped it wouldn't lead to too much bloodshed. However, considering the arsenal of guns, bullet clips, and grenades that Spike had brought along, he was fully prepared for an all-out war. Sure, Vash had brought his silver handgun, Wolfwood had brought his Cross Punisher, and Nightingale had brought her whip and katana, but Spike seemed to be the only one ready and willing to kill.
“Hey, Spike?”
“What?”
“What are you going to do when you find Vicious?”
Spike glanced at him. “I'd think the answer to that would be obvious.”
“Listen, I know it's a lot to ask, but please don't kill him!”
“Like hell I won't kill him! He deserves it after everything he's done!”
“But, everyone can change!”
“Like your older brother?”
Vash became serious at once. “That was uncalled for, Spike.”
“No, it wasn't. You've got to accept the fact that people don't change.”
“They can change if they want to!”
“That's just it, isn't it? They have to WANT to change, don't they? You can't make them, no matter how hard you try.”
“That doesn't mean you have the right to take away their chance to change by killing them!”
Spike gazed at him cooly. “Look, I respect the fact that you're a pacifist and that you believe in the ideals that Rem woman set down for you. But, YOU should realize that YOU don't have the right to force YOUR ideals upon others!”
The two stared at each other for a long time, the tension running high. Then, Vash sighed. “You're right. I...I'm sorry.”
Spike made a dismissive gesture. “Don't worry about it.”
The, without another word, the two continued their journey throught the secret passageway.
 
 
Nightingale ducked into the shadows, ever aware of the presence of the priest Nicholas D. Wolfwood at her side. They had separated from Vash and Spike about thirty minutes ago, but it seemed like much longer. With occasional help from Jet and Ed, they were able to navigate the corridors of the syndicate's HQ without much trouble. However, something felt amiss.
“It's too quiet,” Wolfwood commented, voicing her own thoughts.
“Yes. It does seem suspicious. Let us continue on.”
So, the two of them continued to make their way through the corridor, neither saying a word.
“Can I ask you something?”
Nightingale blinked. “It would appear that you already have, but yes, you may.”
“Why are you here?”
“I'm afraid I do not understand the question.”
“I mean, what is your reason for being here? Why is it that you feel you have to be here, in this place, at this time?”
“It's quite simple. It is my mission as a member of GENE to silence this threat.”
“That's not what I meant. Why do you feel you have to be here?”
Nightingale stopped walking and stared at Wolfwood. Feel? What was that supposed to mean? She hadn't felt anything for a long time. Of course, there was him. He seemed to elicit unwanted emotion in her, but other than that, feeling was not what she did. Cold, hard reason and logic was what Nightingale was all about.
“That question has no relevance. Now, shall we continue?”
“Ok. Just wondering.”
The two continued walking, neither looking at the other. Then, suddenly, Nightingale heard a gun cock. She froze, aware that Wolfwood had done the same.
“Mr. Black?”
“Yeah?”
“I do believe we have reached our destination.”
“You're right, but how did you know?”
“We're surrounded,” she replied calmly.
Lights blared into existence, revealing a horde of Red Dragon Syndicate thugs, each hold some form of weapon, ranging from clubs to guns. Each goon appeared to be grinning and guffawing at Nightingale and Wolfwood's current situation. However, neither lost their cool.
“How many are there?” Wolfwood asked.
“About 200,” she replied.
“Really? Well, that's not very fair to them.”
Then, Nightingale heard the clamp on Wolfwood's Cross Punisher unlatch, causing the cloth wrap to fly right off, revealing a sleek, cross-shaped machine gun. Nightingale drew her katana in one swift motion and held her whip at ready. All the goons gaped stupidly at them, either because they couldn't believe the two intruders were actually going to fight all of them or at the sight of Wolfwood's Cross Punisher.
Wolfwood grinned. “Come and get me if you dare!”
 
 
SWEET! I LOVE the Cross Punisher! It is the coolest gun EVER (besides the Angel Arm).
Knives: No weapon can compare in power to my masterpiece, the Angel Arm, especially human-made weapons.
Didn't you get the memo, Knives? The Angel Annihilator is much more powerful than the Angel Arm, and it is a HUMAN invention.
Knives: I despise you.
That's ok.
Knives: I will see to it that your corpse is dismembered by the end of this story.
No you won't.
Knives: Why not?
Because, I said so. And my word is law because I am the omnipotent authoress!
Knives: ...Damn you...
-evil grin- Now, REVIEW THE CHAPTER!