Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction / Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Cowboy Bebop Meets Trigun ❯ Reunions and Partings ( Chapter 26 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: -cries- No, I don't own it! Leave me alone!
 
A/N: Uh, I have nothing random to say so, on with the show!
 
 
Chapter 26: Reunions and Partings
 
Knives was aware.
There was no other way to describe the sensations he was feeling. Of course, there had been that one time where he had felt energy being drained from his body in large amounts. The extraction, although not painful, was uncomfortable. However, Knives had a feeling that the more energy was drawn, the more discomfort it would cause.
He was floating in a void. But if it was a void, why was everything so white?
Knives's eyes were shut. He could not see, yet he could but not with his eyes. It was more a feeling, or maybe a mental picture. However, he was aware. He knew how he had gotten there. He knew what had been done to him. Yet, in this place where all was calm, anger and hatred had no place here.
Oddly enough, Knives felt like he was hanging from something. He shifted his mind's eye to his back. Had he been able, he would have widened his eyes in shock. He was connected to a bulb with the same type of harness used on plants on Gunsmoke. His back had sprouted, of all things, wings which were also tied into the harness. The scene was surreal.
Knives could feel a slight ache in his back. Was it pain? He couldn't tell inside the void. Thoughts had no place here. Only emotions and sensations seemed to work here. All of Knives's rational and mathematical logic were useless. It made Knives feel naked, helpless. He also felt the primitive emotion of rage beginning to build.
Yet, he could do nothing. Nothing but wallow in his own solitude. It was indeed a humbling experience for one such as Millions Knives. Knives bit his lip, drawing blood, although he was barely aware of it.
Then, suddenly, Knives felt the light in his imprisonment diminish. As it did so, Knives began to feel the first semblances of pain. The harness, imbedded in his back, was being removed. At the same time, he felt the wings that had sprouted from his back begun to pull themselves back into his flesh.
He screamed. He screamed from the pain. He screamed from the injustice of it all. But most of all, he screamed from his own helplessness.
Then, the screaming stopped. Knives was lying in something warm and slick that contrasted the cool, hard floor. As Knives eyes flickered open, his body still awash with pain, he realized the liquid was crimson.
That's...my blood...
Then, someone gently lifted him into a sitting position. Knives winced from the pain in that movement. Looking down at himself, he saw that he was covered with a blanket of some kind, indicating that he was in the nude. He also realized that he was not alone.
Blue met blue as their eyes met. Knives found himself staring into a pair of eyes much the same color as his own. Yet, unlike his which were cold and indifferent, these were warm, yet bearing a sort of sadness. Knives blinked.
His rescuer was a woman. She had long, golden blonde hair, a fair countenance, as well as her azure eyes. He had never seen this woman before. Who was she, and why had she released him from his imprisonment?
She smiled sadly. “I'm sorry if you're in pain, but I couldn't just leave you in there. In a few more minutes, the wounds in your back should heal themselves. After that, you'll probably fall asleep to recover.”
Even as she spoke those words, Knives could feel the wound in his back beginning to close. Then, his eyes began to droop. Knives fought against his bodies desire to rest. He didn't know this human female. He couldn't trust her or any others in her pathetic race. That was becoming increasingly moe apparent.
“I brought your clothes. Before I dress you, I'll have to wash you so you don't get blood all over them.”
Knives glared at the woman. Dress him? He was no child! He had gven up all claims to being a child 130 years ago before this spider was even concieved! She ignored his icy stare however and began to sponge bathe him as gently as possible. All the while, she was humming.
Soon after, Knives's own weariness and the her soothing voice began to lull him to sleep. His eyes glazed over as he fell back, only to be caught and set down gently by this strange woman whom he knew nothing about.
This woman...who is she...?
 
 
Wolfwood didn't wait for the goons to attack. He anchored himself on the floor before launching a rocket out of the shorter end of the Cross Punisher. Goons scattered as the resulting explosion caused debris to fly everywhere.
Nightingale took advantage of the confusion. She slipped in amongst the ranks of the henchmen, her katana and whip moving in sinc, a fluid combination. She immediately came to a stand off with a goon handling a club. As the two battled for supremacy, Wolfwood saw one goon aim a gun at her back.
“Behind you!” Wolfwood shouted.
Nightingale merely flicked her whip in the man's direction, disarming him. Then, she ducked smoothly as another tried to catch her from behind. She struck out with her heel, knocking the man with the bat unconscious. Then, she landed a right hook in the other's face.
Wolfwood turned his attention back to his own half of the 200 members of the goon squad. Wolfwood opened fire with the Cross Punisher, aiming widely so he didn't kill any of them. He injured a few and disarmed some more. Realizing his tactics, the henchmen suddenly charged Wolfwood, trying to get in close quarters.
Wolfwood grinned. “Come on, guys! Don't tell me that big, strong syndicate henchmen such as yourselves are afraid of little old me?”
There was a collective roar from the charging men as they reached Wolfwood, guns and clubs at ready. Wolfwood quickly drew a handgun. When anyone got too close, Wolfwood whacked them with the Cross Punisher, sending them flying. However, sometimes, a goon got smart and decided to hang back and wait for an oppotunity to shoot him. What that happened, Wolfwood merely disarmed them with his handgun.
And so, the fight raged on, Wolfwood carrying the Cross Punisher in one hand and a handgun in another, pausing only briefly to switch handguns. Every now and then, Wolfwood would glance over at Nightingale. Her efficiency with the katana and whip were deadly, yet despite all the blood on the ground from injured goons, there were no corpses.
We may yet pull this off...
 
 
As Vash heard the explosion, the ground under his and Spikes feet began to shake. Both clutched at the narrow passage's walls to steady themselves. Once everything had become still again, Vash released the wall, slumped down on the floor and let out a sigh of relief.
“What the hell was that?” Spike asked.
Vash grinned slightly. “Sounds like Wolfwood is having some fun.”
Spike blinked. “That was the PRIEST?”
“Heh, yeah. He's probably having the time of his life blasting syndicate goons with his Cross Punisher. Wait,” Vash said, alarmed, “I hope he doesn't kill anyone!”
“Are you saying that that huge cross he carried around is a GUN?” Spike asked incredulously.
“Yeah! I better go back! I have to make sure he won't hurt anyone!”
Spike grabbed Vash by the front of his red coat. “No, you aren't. If he does kill those men, they deserve it. If he doesn't, that's his decision. You can't go back now. You have your own responsibilities.”
Vash blinked. “Uh, yeah. You're right. I'm sorry. It's just that I hate to see people die.”
“It's like I said before: Don't force your way of life upon others. Got that?”
Vash nodded solemnly. Spike had a point. No matter how much he might believe that his way was the only right way, there were going to be others who didn't agree. It wouldn't be fair to force someone to change. Of course, with Knives case, forcing might be the only way.
Spike held out his hand. Vash took it, allowing the other man to help him to his feet. Without another word, Spike continued to walk down the hall. Vash followed. Little by little, the light in the passage became brighter, allowing for better visibility. Finally, the passage ended.
Vash found himself staring at a bulb-like device from a distance. Much to Vash's consternation, it looked like the bulbs back on Gunsmoke where plants were housed. As Vash's gaze shifted upward, however, he saw the massive cannon known as the Angel Annihilator.
Spike stopped right next to Vash. He appeared to be staring at something. Vash looked down in the direction Spike was looking at. What he saw puzzled him.
Someone, a woman, judging by her figure, was emerging from the shadow of the Annihilator. It was impossible to make out the details of her face in the shadows, but she seemed to be supporting anothe person, a man. As she came closer, Vash felt his throat tighten. The person whose arm was draped over this strange woman's shoulder was his brother Knives, apparently unconscious.
Vash, completely oblivious to Spike at this point, rushed forward. Upon seeing him, the woman hesitated, apparently unsure of his intentions. When Vash reached her, he immediately skiddded to a halt right in front of her face. The woman blinked her sky blue eyes before pushing some golden blonde strands out of her face. She smiled slightly.
“I see. So, you're his brother, I take it?”
Vash blinked, surprised. “Yes, but how did you know that?”
“It's not important right now. Would you mind? Your brother is heavy.”
“Oh! Yeah, sure!”
Vash quickly removed the burden of his brother from the woman and placed him gently on the floor.. Knives moaned a little but didn't wake up. Vash looked his brother over carefully. He didn't seem to be hurt, but why did he sense such pain from Knives?
Well, I guess now is as good a time as any to try out my new telepathic skills. Hopefully Knives won't b too pissed off at me when he wakes up.
Vash placed his right hand over his brother's brow, closed his eyes, and concentrated. Much to Vash's surprise, he entered Knives's mind with little difficulty. Bits and pieces of memories flashed through Knives mind. The more recent ones revealed Knives time inside the bulb and brief glimpses of the woman standing next to him.
Vash opened his eyes again and looked at the woman gratefully. “You saved my brother's life. Thank you.”
She shook her head. “Don't thank me.”
“Why not?” Vash asked, puzzled.
“Because, it's her fault we're here in the first place,” a voice said.
Vash looked at Spike. His face was expressionless, but there was a strange mix of emotions in his voice that Vash could not identify. Disappointment? Sadness? And...love?
“What do you mean, it's her fault? She just rescued my brother!”
“No, he's right. It is my fault.”
Vash stared. “How?”
The woman smiled sadly. “You can't guess? My name is Julia.”
“Julia? Wait, you mean AGENT Julia? The woman who betrayed GENE?”
“The very same,” Spike said.
“Uh, ok. This is getting complicated.”
“Vash.”
“Yeah, Spike?”
“Take your brother and go.”
Vash blinked. “What? I can't leave you here!”
“Vash, you came here for a reason. You came to save your brother. No matter how much I might doubt your ability to reform him, I have to respect that that's what you want. I also came here for a reason. Are you trying to tell me that you're not even going to show me the same courtesy? Now, get out of here!”
Vash stared at Spike. He was serious about this. Spike really was going to go through with this. Yet, it was true. Vash couldn't stop him. Everyone has the right to make their own decisions, including Spike. Vash would have t accept that.”
“Yeah, ok. I'll go. But you better be careful!”
Spike smirked. “Hey, it's me you're talking to!”
Vash shook his head. What a hopelessly hard-headed guy. Without another word, Vash slung his brother over his shoulder as gently as he could and began to make his way out of the building. He hope he would be able to find his way out again.
Spike, you better make it out of here in one piece `cause if you don't, a certain someone will never forgive you.
 
 
Spike and Julia stared at each other for a long time. Neither spoke. After all this time, Spike had finally found her, the woman he loved. The woman he had been willing to give his life for. Yet, she had left him. Despite that, he still had feelings for her. He still cared about her.
But, is it still love that I feel for her?
“Long time no see,” Julia said solemnly.
“Yeah. Three years, right?”
“Yes.”
“Julia, tell me something.”
She blinked. “What?”
“Why didn't you tell me? You could have told me.”
Julia sighed. “No, I couldn't have.”
Spike glared. “Yes, you could have. If you had just tolf me the truth, all this might never have happened! Don't you get it? We could have had something!”
Julia looked at him solemnly. “Could we? And once you found out about GENE, would you have trusted me, knowing that I was an agent, someone sent to spy on you?”
“You wouldn't have done that.”
“Wouldn't I?”
“It would have been better than selling your soul to Vicious!”
Julia was silent for a long time. “Maybe. But how do you know any of this wouldn't have happened? All these `what ifs' that you keep mentioning, that's all they are. `What ifs.' Everything that happened was my choice. I made them. Proud of them or not, unhappy wih them or not, I can't change them. What's done is done. Move on with your life, Spike.”
Spike stared at her. Was she actually saying what he thought she was saying? How could he forget about her? She was the one woman in the world who meant something to him...wasn't she?
Have I been obsessing over Julia so much that I've failed to notice anyone else?
“Julia...”
“Spike?”
“Tell me one thing then. Why are you here now?”
Julia stared at him, long and hard. Finally, she said, “I guess, maybe, I felt like I needed to do something decent, for once in my life.”
“Julia, I-”
“How sweet,” a cold voice said. “Together again.”
All of a sudden, Spike heard Julia gasp. As she looked down, there was a blade protruding from her gut, blood dripping off the end.
“NO!”
Spike rushed forward to catch her falling body in his arms. As she fell back into them, he cradled her to his chest. He felt a tickling sensation at the back of his throat, and his eyes were hot and watery. But he refused to let the tears fall.
Julia reached up and brushed her hand across his cheek. She smiled slightly, her face lined with pain and blood trickling out of her mouth. “Spike...I'm...sor-ry...” Then, her clear blue eyes began to glaze over.
“No! Julia, stay with me!”
She smiled again. “Don't...be sad...for...me...”
Then, she closed her eyes forever.
As Spike held her limp body in his arms, he could almost feel the warmth that had been so vibrant in life, fade in death. He heard maniacal laughter. Spike set Julia gently down on the floor, fists clenched, and stood to face Vicious.
“You bastard!” Spike growled.
Vicious grinned. “Don't lecture me, brother. Your hands are just as stained with blood as mine.”
“Maybe so, but at least I don't take pleasure in it.”
“Ah, true enough. Tell me, did any of that idiot's ridiculous philosophy of `love and peace' rub off on you?”
“Hell, no. He's entirely too optimistic about the world in general.”
“I see.”
“You know your world-domination plan won't succeed, don't you? Vash has already taken his brother and gone.”
Vicious laughed. “What better compensation could I get than your head on a platter?”
“Well, Vicious?” Spike said. “Shall we finish what we started three years ago?”
Vicious grinned. “But of course.”
Vicious strode over to Julia's dead body. Spike kept his distance as Vicious pulled his blade smoothly out of her. Vicious held the blood-stained weapon at ready as Spike drew his handgun, extra bullet clips handy. It was a stand off.
Vicious, even if I die trying, I'm taking you to hell with me...
 
 
-sniffle- Poor Julia.
Knives: Good. The pathetic human died.
Hey! Knives, you know that's mean! She's the one who saved you!
Knives: I don't need help from humans!
Hehe, but if you hadn't been rescued by her, Vash would have had to do it.
Knives: ...I hate to admit it, but that would be worse.
Vash: Hey! That's not very nice!
Vash! Get back in the story right now!
Vash: Why can't I be here?
Because! Only people in touch with their subconscious may converse with the omnipotent authoress.
Vash: Who?
ME, you idiot! -chases after Vash, hitting him on the head with a baseball bat-
Vash: Owowowowowowowow!
Knives: While my idiot brother and the foolish human are occupied, review the story. If you don't, I will kill you.