Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction ❯ Cowgirl Ed ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Cowgirl Ed

(Or The Continuing Adventures of a Cracker and Her Super-Intelligent Welsh Corgi)

A Fanfic Written By: Christian "DoC" Hagen

Prologue

The winds swept across the arid landscape, sending dust in waves over the fiery-haired girl and her dearest friend, Ein. It had been two weeks since they'd left the safety and warmth of the ship, but she did not regret her decision to leave. She was already beginning to forget them. Her focus was farther, more obscure. Her father's face was forever burned into her mind's eye, making any other thought nearly impossible. She glanced down at Ein, whose orange-tinted brown fur glowed in the sunset. He'd fallen fast asleep, and his diaphragm expanded and contracted slowly and calmly. He'd been so tired since they'd left, and hungry.

The girl wished she'd never brought him. Yes, he was her best friend, but this wasn't where he belonged. He wasn't accustomed to the great exercise, the aching hunger, or the brutal heat. And yet he trudged onward, spurned on by adventure and a true companion as he'd never had before. She turned slowly and cradled the poor dog ever so gently.

"Thanks, Ein," she whispered softly.

His tail gave a curt wag and then fell limply as his sleep renewed. Holding him, she could feel his breathing calm her, causing her to sink into her own blissful dreams. Dreams of her father, of Bebop, and of all the people she'd met. Her wanderings through the galaxy were coming full circle, and at last she was back where she started. Earth.

Her peace would not last for long, however, as she knew that tomorrow they'd begin the search. Their search for a man they barely knew, whose life was in constant motion. He didn't even know the name she'd adopted for herself all those years ago: Edward Wong Hau Peppilou Tivrusky IV. Or, more commonly, Ed…