Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction ❯ Full Circle ❯ Chaos ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"Are you coming, or aren't you?"

Jet's voice cut into her sleep. She sat up groggily, and looked up him. The first thing that always seemed to catch her eye was Jet's mechanical arm. Perhaps it's the light reflecting off of it, she thought to herself. She looked into his coal black eyes, and she knew.

"He's dead, isn't he? The one with the fluffy hair....."

She refused to say his name. The same thoughts that she had when she came back to deliver the message to him from Julia rang in her ears. If I don't use his name, it can't be true....I can save him from it, if only I don't invoke his name....

"...yeah."

"...And Vicious?"

"Dead."

"The Syndicate?"

"Complete chaos."

"So it is as he always said it would be....."

"What's that?"

"Vicious told him....on the night he came to save me, Vicious told him ' I am the only one who can kill you.' I once heard him in his sleep tell Vicious that the same went for him...."

"Perhaps that is the way it is...."

"Yes..."

"So are you taking the Red Tail, or are you coming with me?"

"What else have I got? The only other place I had to go back to is gone...."

Jet nodded solemnly and walked out of the room, his heavy boots clanking on the metal floor of the ship.

Faye sighed, and went to the only place she could think of to hide the tears that threatened to spill over at any minute-the shower.

She tried to turn off her mind and let the water relax her muscles. She usually enjoyed showers, but her thoughts were too dark to enjoy anything at the moment. That stupid stupid bastard. He knew it. He KNEW he was going to die..... His last words flashed through her mind: "Maybe I've been dead this whole time..." You were in love with a dead man, Faye. He's been dead since before you met him. "NO!" she shouted. "NO! There was still life in him. A spark. Enough. I could have brought him back. Damn her. Damn that ordinary, beautiful, dangerous BITCH! Damn you Julia. Damn you Vicious. AND DAMN YOU, You stupid fluffy-haired BASTARD!"

Jet heard her screaming from the other side of the ship. In the room where he kept his Bonsai trees. He heard her shouting, but couldn't make out most of the words. He didn't need to-he knew who she was screaming about. He looked to the hose on the floor, and suddenly missed Edward. He remembered asking her to water the Bonsai if he didn't come back, and how she'd happily agreed. She never seemed to be upset. Ever. Her father abandoned her. TWICE. And she had lost so much. So sad. But she never seemed to mind. She was the truest form of Spike's insistence on never letting the past catch up to you. The girl was vibrant, if a bit insane. She'll be fine on her own.....her and Ein.... Jet didn't know if he missed the girl or the dog more. He watered his Bonsai and tried to shut out Faye's screaming.

Neither of them knew of Vicious' last act of hatred, bestowed upon the Bebop.

***