Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction ❯ Our Kind of Christmas ❯ Remembrance of the Past ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Cowboy Bebop -

Our Kind Of Christmas

Chapter 1: Remembrance Of The Past

The sound of carolers rang softly in her ears as white, fluffy snow fell upon the streets of Mars. Everywhere she went, she felt the enthusiasm of the people, mostly the kids who were eagerly waiting for Santa Claus to bring them their presents. She saw how joyful everyone was and she felt a sting of jealousy in her heart. She couldn't quite remember the last time she had a Christmas present nor the last time she spent with her family. It was all blurry to her and she couldn't understand why fate was being so cruel to her. Ever since she woke up from her synchronized sleep, she could not help but wonder why was she given another opportunity to live. For her, dying was much better than living in a world where she knew no one. Where the only people who had little acknowledge of her were either dead or in a wheelchair at the border of dying.

She felt, in fact, like a sleeping beauty. Or maybe even worst, she felt like she was being preserved to contemplate the hardships of time and loneliness. Times like this always made her wish to go back time. She wanted so badly to return back to her time and save herself from her stubbornness. If only she would of listen to her friend this would of never had happened. She would of never been frozen and her friend would of never have died.

She shivered lightly as she felt the harsh wind blowing on her pale face. She's been on the streets for almost two hours now with only a light jacket as a protection. She knew the temperature was going to drop, but her, being the stubborn person she was, still decided to go out. Anything to get away from the Bebop.

Everything seemed to be different since Spike died. His cocky and carefree attitude was missed, mostly his ability to hunt bounties. Both Jet and Faye tried their best to pretend they never met Spike, or at least to get over him, but nothing seemed to work. They tried destroying everything that reminded them of Spike, only to find themselves not being able to do it. That was Spike room and everything in it belonged to him, dead or alive nothing was going to change that...though it hurt.

Ed and Ein returned three months later, saying that she was bored as hell with her father and she missed the crew. When she was informed about Spike's dead she stayed quiet. Only a few minutes after was that she responded, saying that she knew. She had a presence that someone she knew died and that was later confirmed when she saw a star falling down on Earth. The star of a pitiful soul who could not find his way to the lofty realm where the Great Spirits awaits them all.

Faye Valentine shook her head violently, trying to clear any thoughts of Spike and continued walking along the allies of Mars. She looked around her surroundings with pure boredom. It wasn't until she saw them that she stopped dead on her tracks. It was a woman, not older than her thirties with a young girl at hands. The little girl pointed her hands towards the toys store as the smiling mother nodded. It was obvious that the girl wanted her mother to buy her one of the dolls in display. A small tear escaped from her emerald eyes as a sudden flashback came to her.

She remembered a day almost like this one. Snow cascading smoothly from the sky to the already white carpet in the floor. Her mother, a beautiful women with long and radiant purple hair held her hands protectively. She skipped happily, her carefree laugh braking the tension of the air as her mother couldn't help it but to smile. She was truly, one of the happiest girl who ever came upon the earth. I mean, she had it all. Money, friends and a beautiful mother who was always there for her.

...It was on a day like this that her mother died...

It was her fault! It was because of her that he mother had to died. If she wouldn't have asked her mom to buy her that stupid ring she would of been alive...

...And Faye Valentines probably would of never been in that car accident...

She felt hurt and betrayed by her mom. She promised her that she was never going to go away, yet the same day she goes off and dies, and Faye never had the chance to tell her how special she was to her. So she called up her best friend in desperation. But even though her friend was there to try and comfort her, she still wanted to get away. Run from her problems and her despair. Taisha asked her to stay since it was still snowing rather hard and she could easily get in an car accident like her mother did but Faye was too stubborn to listen, and so Taisha being the friend she was, accompanied her. Little did they know that that day was going to be the end of Taisha and the eternal sleep of Faye.

A tear began to flow from her eyes as it was soon followed by more. Every time she remembered something from her past she would end up crying, for nothing good ever came out of it. All memories were nothing but nightmares that she had lived. And so she couldn't take it anymore. Deciding then that she was going to run away just like she did in her youth, she dashed through the multitude of people as her vision blurred by her tears.

Without knowing it, she crossed the street, never taking notice that the traffic lights had signaled for the cars to move on. A speeding driver tried to stop the car as he saw Faye crossing the streets, but his attempt proved to be futile for the road was slippery and the car lost control. Only then did Faye looked up to see her life flash to her in a second. She knew she wasn't going to have enough time to get away. What an irony, in a day like this one her mother and her best friend lost their lives both in car accident. Faith was cruel to her. She closed her eyes tightly waiting for what seemed the unstoppable but only felt her body being yanked away from danger as a strong arm embraced her into safety. She opened her eyes lightly, still blurred by her tears and the excitement of the day when she lay her eyes upon the mismatch pair of eyes she hasn't seen for a whole year.

"Spike..."

And before any of them knew it, she fainted.

"Damn you Faye, why did you have to faint? I swear, you are nothing but trouble."

Taking her carefully into his arms, he carried her away from the crowd of staring people who were still amazed at the young man who saved the woman's life.

AN: Cowboy Bebop does not belong to me. It belongs to Sunrise Inc. Actually, this story was supposed to be a one a one-shot fic, but as I went through it, I decided to make it a multi-chapters on. I hope you like it. Please R&R.