Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction ❯ Play Me Some More of that Old Blues ❯ Chapter 19 ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Chapter 19
 
 
 
 
 
Faye opened her eyes, realizing she must've blacked out after that first thunderous explosion. The ship still vibrated beneath her, and her teeth chattered violently. After a few seconds, she tried to move, and immediately regretted it as breathless pain fired across her abdomen and into her legs. She gasped, unable to hold back moans of pain. She tried to wrap her arms around her stomach, then clenched her teeth in frustration when they wouldn't move- they were still held firm by the rubbery binding. That bastard Mathis was so proud of they way he'd “shackled” her that he bragged about it as he locked the boots on her feet.
 
`Ingenious isn't it? A gift from a guy in the lab. The irony was that he was developing it for the same people that are coming to see you. Maybe I could sell it to them for some pocket cash… considering its creator won't be needing it anymore.'
 
He'd laughed then, that braying lunatic laugh that made the hair on her arms stand on end. Faye bit her lip as she tried to roll onto her back. Though heavy, the boots hadn't kept her upright when she was shot at point blank range. However, now that she was horizontal, the weight of the boots dragged on her again. She realized she'd twisted her ankle, but couldn't move it to relieve the pain.
 
There was a sound at the door.
 
Her head turned quickly, and she could discern the shape of someone in the entrance, their outline haloed by red emergency lights. Biting her lip, she looked around for any sort of weapon. Just beyond the reach of her hand, she saw the gun she'd been shot with. Mathis must've dropped it in the explosion.
 
Stretching her fingers, she reached for it.
.
.
.
.
Spike steadied himself against the door. That sound of slight movement came again, along with an intake of breath. Damn it, he'd been spotted.
 
He had only one shot at this.
 
Gripping the doorway in his fingers, Spike launched himself into the room at an angle, lifting his gun to fire at the same time. In the blur of movement, he saw the figure grab something off the floor and whirl towards him at the same time. In the reddish light, he saw her face.
 
“Oh Shit!”
 
He didn't fire, but she did.
.
.
.
.
Faye nearly screamed as the slender figure leaped into the room at her. In that same instant, her fingers found the handle of the gun. Rolling onto her back, she fired at the shape in the air, and gasped as she heard the curse he uttered.
 
He hit the floor and didn't move.
.
.
.
.
He wasn't sure why he was doing this. Hadn't he himself been the one to tell his people not to reveal anything to Jet Black about the location of his partner? Yet, Richard Caulder was also one to recognize when the cards were stacked against you. He knew it was time to cut his losses. In conversation, Mr. Black had revealed himself to be a stubborn and hard-headed individual, set in his ways. Yet, he had also shown the depth of his heart. He was willing to go anywhere, and do whatever it took to recover his lost friend. Richard could easily relate to that. Which was why he was currently standing with the bounty hunter at the foot of his son's bed.
 
Jet's voice was subdued in the large room, as was the voice of every person that came in here. It was as though the room itself was weeping, and the occupants responded to its sorrow with hushed tones.
 
“How long?”
 
Richard brushed his hand over Ethan's forehead. “Three years. He's been… gone, three years.”
 
His arms crossed, Jet studied the figure in the bed, feeling the weight of the other man's grief pressing on him almost physically.
 
“You thought Faye could cure him?”
 
Caulder took his son's hand. “Those machines inside her have the power to regenerate tissue. They can heal him, I know it.”
 
Jet shook his head. “Sure, maybe they can. But maybe they can drive him insane too. Look at what happened to Vincent. For that matter, look at what your friend Mathis is doing. Faye was lucky.”
 
Caulder shook his head. “You're wrong. My best researcher was close to a breakthrough when all this occurred. Trust me Mr. Black, we've done our homework.”
 
“Have you? Maybe you should have researched your researchers a little better then. Did you happen to realize that your friend Mathis is a wanted man? ISSP has been looking for him for a long time. Only his name's not Mathis, it's Wallace Dempsey. He's been on the run for about seven years. Yeah, probably found hanging out here real cozy; real easy to go unnoticed for a while.”
 
Caulder placed his son's hand back on the bed and straightened upright. His eyes were dark and filled with regret, an emotion he normally kept hidden when he was around others. His sigh was heavy.
 
“You're right, we did fail in that regard. But I am positive we can get this thing back on track. We just need to get those nanomachines. A few more tests…”
 
“You listen here!” Jet grabbed the other man by the lapels, shaking him slightly. “I don't have time for any more bullshit! My friend is out there, and I'm going to get her back! You need to face the fact that your son died three years ago, and nothing that Faye has will help him now! Now either let me out of here willingly, or I'm going to beat my way out! Either way, I'm leaving, now!”
 
Dropping the other man, Jet began striding for the door. Behind him, Caulder clenched his hands. “Stop, wait… wait, please.”
 
Against his better judgment, Jet turned. His eyes were dark as he stared at Caulder. “Look, I'm sorry about your son, I know you love him. But you need to understand, I care about my friend too… she's one of the few I have left. I'm going to get her back… don't stop me.”
 
Caulder met his gaze unflinching. “Mr. Black… she isn't the only friend you have here.”
.
.
.
.
Faye groaned as the pain took over again after the rush of adrenaline started to wear off. She was starting to feel cold. Glancing over to make sure the other figure was still down, she gasped as she saw him start to move. Gripping the gun, she tried firing again… and swore when all she heard was clicks.
 
“Damn it!” She threw the gun at the approaching shape, hearing it bounce against the metal floor. The figure continued to advance, limping slightly as he moved closer. Faye grit her teeth. She could still bite if she had to. Then he spoke.
 
“Hard to aim when you're lying on the floor. Lucky for me.”
 
The figure was still in silhouette… but that voice…
 
“Who… who are you…”
 
An arm slid beneath her shoulder, and the face was suddenly visible in the reddish glow.
 
“Spike…”