Crescent Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Remedy ❯ Life Gets Weird(er) ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I would've updated sooner, but six weeks into the school year and the days just start to blur together.
It was mentioned that Keiko did not have her powers in someone's review. Untrue. She has her powers, but in her current job she is forced to exploit it, which is hard to do with power that is hard to control.
Still No Title
Chapter 2: Life Gets Weird(er)
Keiko stirred her coffee lazily. Nearly nine in the morning and the fairway was packed. Ten people had come in before eight when she was dressed in an oversized t-shirt and sweatpants. Nine had gone away crying. The tenth had gotten his money refunded when she threw the crystal ball at him.
She had at least six spares, so it didn't really matter that much.
By nine she'd changed into a green skirt and a violet top. By ten she knew she'd need to exchange the coffee for tea.
Last night the female Katsura twin had found Mutsura Hayashi mauled. His face had been scratched out and his side was split open, letting his insides flow out. Hokuto had passed it off as an animal attack and buried Mutsura with a proper (but quick) burial. He'd then proclaimed the dead were dead and the next day would still be open.
The door clattered open and Keiko looked up. It was the blond girl she'd seen Akira with. Where was Akira?
“You're Mahiru,” she said.
The blond smiled and took the seat across from her. “You really are psychic.”
“Akira told me your name yesterday.”
Mahiru's smile dimmed. “I wanted to ask you something about Akira.”
“Go ahead, though you probably know more about him than I do.”
“I was wondering if you… This is gonna song ultra-weird, but did you sense something from him?”
“What do you mean?” This girl was starting to weird her out, and she lived with a family of freaks.
“Like… Anything out of the ordinary?”
“Er, no… He seemed fairly normal to me.”
“Okay, thanks.” She got up quickly and hurried to leave.
“Wait a second. Why would I sense anything weird from Akira?”
“Oh. No reason. Just…” Mahiru stopped and sighed. “I need to get back, so let me make this quick. Was there a death last night?”
“Yeah. How did you-”
“I'm just making sure it had nothing to do with Akira.”
And the door closed behind her.
><><><><
Keiko had taken the day off. It would piss of Hokuto, but that was only a bonus. All she wanted to do was sit around in normal clothes like a normal person for one day.
It was the usual crowd: similarly dressed people there to gawk at the freaks. A few people really stood out, but their intention was the same. It was the beginning of the weekend, so a band was getting ready for the nightly parties. Scents from the various stalls rose up and covered the fairground. If she could bottle the scent she would sell it as perfume and make millions.
Keiko purchased a few sugar-filled treats and watched the people go by. That lasted about five minutes before she began wandering between caravans, seeing what she could see.
It was between the Creepy Snake Guy's tent and the Girl Who Can Speak to the Dead's caravan that she saw the blond. She was speaking with a short man with large glasses that she recognized as Misoka Asagico, manager or something of that sort. Wondering exactly what business Mahiru would have with him, she crept in to do some eavesdropping.
“…not the first time,” Misoka said. “Why are you so upset over this?”
“I don't know,” Mahiru answered. “He said the guy attacked him.”
“Do you suppose there are more?”
“He came from the camp, right? I don't want Mitsuru hurting anyone else.”
“He does seem to have an overzealous nature. Perhaps you should stay with him. You do seem to calm him down fairly well.”
“I'm going to go back now. Are you coming tonight or do you have to stay here?”
“Staying here. I suppose it'll be hard to keep the guys away, but try.”
Mahiru gave a little wave and ran off.
For some odd reason, Keiko followed.
><><><><
The woods surrounding the campground were thick, but Keiko could see clearly the path Mahiru had taken. She continued on it until she could hear distinct voices. Then she stopped and listened.
She could see Mahiru , her arms crossed and a frown her face. She was facing a tree where Keiko could barely make out a figure sitting in the branches.
“This is all your fault, you know,” she said sternly.
The figure jumped down, revealing an aqua-haired boy with intense brown eyes.
“I don't see how it's my fault,” he answered.
“You killed a human!”
Keiko gasped and stepped back. Was this the guy who had killed Mutsura?
The boy straightened, gazing around with his tawny eyes. “There's someone else here.”
“What? Really?” Mahiru looked around, confused.
And Keiko ran away.
><><><
It wasn't until she was within the safety of her caravan that Keiko stopped running.
Her life was weird enough already.
Why did it have to get any freakier?
Author(ess) Notes:
This is really an update as I please story. You'll learn to live with that.
Not quite as long as the last chapter, but I felt like updating. So I did. Deal.
Reviews anyone?