Crossover Fan Fiction / Crossover With Non-anime Series Fan Fiction / Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ NAvatarUTO ❯ Invasion ( Chapter 23 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Katara opened her eyes to see Sakura crouched next to her. The last thing she remembered was watching Toph's fight. How could she have fallen asleep at such an important time? Katara tried to get up but Sakura pushed her down again signaling for her to be quiet. It was then that Katara noticed the clang of metal to metal and sounds of battle surrounding them. The two girls made their way down the isle on hands and knees, rousing Aang, Sokka, and Naruto on the way. Sakura was furious when she found Shikamaru pretending to still be under the genjutsu. She was about to go on a rant when Kakashi promptly showed up, carrying a battered Toph in his arms. “Naruto, Sakura, Paccun and Shikamaru, your mission is to escort the avatar and his friends to safety.” He said.

The gaang and their escorts hurried down the abandoned stadium stairs as fast as Toph could manage with her injuries. She had an arm around both Shikamaru's and Naruto's shoulders supporting part of her weight, but still their pace was much too slow.

“Just leave me behind! I'll manage.” Toph insisted. “Get the others to safety first.”

“No.” Sakura said.

Naruto nodded in agreement. “If we've learned anything from Kakashi sensei it's that you never abandon a friend.”

“Really?” Katara asked. That didn't seem to fit the picture of him that they were piecing together.

Sakura suddenly looked concerned. “Yes,” she said, “that's why I'm so worried about Sasuke. Orochimaru put a cursed seal on him when we got separated from you. Just now he went chasing after Gaara, but if he uses too much chakra the curse will take over his body.”

The gaang looked at each other guiltily. It seemed team 7 had always been on their side.

“You should go find Sasuke.” Shikamaru said. Naruto and Sakura looked at him in surprise. Shikamaru picked Toph up. “I can take it from here.” He reassured. “Their flat is almost down the block.”

“Since when do you volunteer for anything, shirker?” Naruto asked.

Shikamaru shrugged and hefted Toph higher on his back. “It's a drag, but somebody's got to do it. Now go. Sasuke needs you.”

The two nodded and headed off.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0

Shikamaru and the gaang reached the inn just as the ground began to shake from the power of the giant snakes' attempts to break down the village wall. “Ah shit!” Shikamaru swore. “It looks like a full scale invasion.”

They all looked horrified at the monsters before them. “If we don't do something soon, they'll get into the village!” Aang yelled over the roar of destruction. “I'll call Appa!” Taking a huge air bender breath, Aang blew his bison whistle as loud as he could.

“What do you think you're doing?” Shikamaru yelled. “I'm supposed to protect you, not lead you into battle!”

“Well we can't just stand by and watch!” Katara retorted.

“What about Toph?” Sokka yelled.

“I'll stay at the Inn!” Toph screamed over the din.

“Isn't that dangerous?”

“Not any more dangerous than attacking giant snakes atop a bison speeding at high altitudes!” Toph shouted back. “Now go! Save the village, I'll be fine!”

Shikamaru looked back and forth from the group climbing onto the newly arrived Appa and the little blind girl.

“Are you coming or what?” Sokka shouted in his direction.

Shikamaru sighed. “What a drag.”

“What?”

“Nevermind.” Shikamaru grouched as he pulled himself onto the furry beast.

“You know mr. smarty pants,” Sokka said with a grin, “At least my plan to wander around the fire nation wouldn't have landed us in a war Zone.”

Shikamaru rolled his eyes.

Toph limped inside, unaware of the scarlet gaze that fixed upon her by the man in the black and red robes.

Itachi frowned. He was disappointed that he had to miss his brother's fight in the tournament to stake out the avatar's quarters. Now not only was the girl he faced not the avatar, but she also seemed to be blind, meaning his genjutsu would be useless against her. He could always knock her out and take her hostage, but he decided against it. Itachi didn't know if the girl even had any connection to the avatar and even if she did, the Akatsuki wanted Aang to come to them of his own free will. He sighed. This had been such a waste of time. Making a handsign he vanished out of the apartment and reapeard next to Iroh.

“Any luck?” He asked the old man.

Iroh shook his head. “The vessel took to the woods and I lost him. It's a wonder how fast he was even after his fight with my nephew.”

“Hn. Who won?” Itachi asked.

Iroh furrowed his brow. “The boy did. We may have underestimated the nine tails jinchuriki.”

0o0o0o0o0

Kakashi frowned at the idea of leaving the arena. He and Guy along with a couple anbu members had managed to take out the most of the enemy, but the hokage was still trapped in the barrier put up by the sound four. Would Hiruzen Sarutobi have the heart to kill his former student to save the village, or would Orochimaru kill him once and for all?

Guy put a hand on his old rival's shoulder. “Come Kakashi.” He said. “There's nothing we can do here. We need to stop further invasion at the edges of the village.”

Kakashi nodded grimly. There were others who needed his help. But if there was one thing Kakashi had learned from Obito, it was to never abandon a comrade. Back then he was a snob who only played by the rules. His father had forsaken a very important mission so as not to leave a friend behind, only to have that friend kill him in return. `Rin isn't Chang Bo!' Obito had yelled. `Those who break the rules are scum, but people who abandon their friends are worse than scum!'And benders who betray their friends are the worst scum of all.

How could Kakashi leave his leader behind after all that Obito had taught him? Kakashi had to have faith in his hokage and the anbu that they would do their part and stay alive while he and Guy did their part.

“Let's go.” Kakashi said, and with that, the two jonin took off.