Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ You Lose, Miko! ❯ What Are You Doing here? ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I don't own any part of Inuyashaor Yu Yu Hakusho. I make no money from this fic.
 
 
 
---- ----------
I decided to post this early.
 
------------ -----------
 
They continued in an amiable silence as they arrived onto the shrine grounds and started up the steps. Suddenly Hiei froze and stared at the top of the steps with narrowed eyes. Kagome remembered what happened the last time she saw that look and without another word she started running up the stairs and throwing her aura out to try to trace her family. Her miko energy flared up and she pushed her senses out as she ran.
 
“Mama, Souta, Grandpa!” Kagome shouted as she reached the top of the stairs. She saw Mama just walking quickly out of the house.
 
“Kagome, are you alright? What's wrong?” Mama looked worried.
 
“Am I alright? Are you alright? Who's here? Hiei stopped suddenly partway up the stairs. He had the same look he got when Souta was attacked. Then I felt youki also. Are Souta and Grandpa safe?”
 
“Of course they are safe. I don't know why Hiei would cause you concern. A friend of yours stopped by to bring a gift and wait for you to come home from school,” Mama said. At that moment Kurama stepped calmly out of the door of the house.
 
“Eh?” Kagome was relieved and confused at the same time. She felt like sitting down before her suddenly rubbery legs gave out.
 
“I'm very sorry to worry you, Kagome chan. It was a mistake for me to assume you would recognize my youki and not be concerned.”
 
“I wasn't really analyzing whether or not the youki was familiar. Once Hiei got that look on his face I was so worried I just raced up the stairs. It seemed really strong.”
 
“Why thank you, Kagome chan,” Kurama said with a smile.
 
“What are you doing here, fox?” Hiei demanded with a scowl.
 
“Kagome, why don't you come inside and join us for some tea?” Mama moved out of the doorway and Kagome started to go into the house. Kagome stopped and turned back.
 
“Hiei, please come have a cup of tea also.”
 
“Hn.” He eyed the fox suspiciously as he followed them. Kurama and Kagome continued into the house, but Mama stopped Hiei. He gave her a quizzical look.
 
“Don't think I didn't notice that bandage on Kagome's arm. She's been holding it very gingerly. What happened?”
 
“The miko dropped her shield,” Hiei replied. Mama gave him a narrow eyed look.
 
“I won't have my daughter hurt,” she said fiercely.
 
“Then she should improve her barrier.” Hiei started into the house but stopped and turned back to Mama. He gave her a severe look. “The miko must learn how to protect herself. Her barriers only last 20 minutes and she still can't attack easily without her bow. She ignores her senses. A hostile youkai would kill her before she realized it was there; or she would die trying to `make friends' with it.” Hiei looked disgusted. “Do you want your daughter to live? Then a cut on the arm is nothing. She is a powerful miko, onna. Youkai will always be drawn to her. She must train or you will lose her.” He turned and went after Kurama and Kagome. Mama eyed him thoughtfully and slowly followed him into the house.
 
“What are you doing here, fox?” Hiei said again.
 
“I was just bringing Higurashi san some flowers,” Kurama responded pleasantly.
 
“Minamino san came to visit and wait for you to come home from school, Kagome. He's been telling me a little more about your training. Look at the gorgeous flowers he brought me.”
 
“Wow, you brought my mother flowers. That is SO considerate of you,” Kagome said as she gifted Kurama with a big smile. Mama laughed softly to herself. She was under no illusions about who the flowers were designed to impress. It did look as though they had had the desired effect.
 
“It has been five months since we first met and I thought that deserved some recognition,” Kurama said.
 
{That and I thought Hiei was gone and it was a good time to gain her attention} Kurama continued privately to Youko.
 
Kagome went to smell the flowers. They were a beautiful arrangement of white and coral blossoms with greens and vines accenting the flowers. Except for some huge coral roses, Kagome didn't recognize any of the blooms.
 
“Don't touch those,” Hiei said sharply.
 
Kagome pulled back from the bouquet. “Eh? Why?”
 
“Kurama's plants bite. Those are Makai flowers. Kurama has plants which can put you to sleep or wrap you in a death grip for 100 years.”
 
Both Kagome and her mother looked at the arrangement with some trepidation. Kagome remembered Kurama's rose whip and the flowers suddenly didn't seem quite so innocent anymore. Kurama growled at Hiei.
 
“Don't be absurd, Hiei. Every blossom there was selected for its beauty and aroma as well as for its safety. There isn't so much as a sticker or a thorn in the entire bouquet. They are all perfectly safe to both touch and smell. Kagome, I would never bring a dangerous plant into your house or give one to your mother.”
 
“I'm sure you're right. I'm sorry.” She leaned over to smell the flowers and then smiled at Kurama again before turning to Hiei. “Hiei, it was very considerate of Kurama to bring Mama the flowers.”
 
“It was considerate of Kurama to bring your mother flowers; very appropriate, too. He is over 1,000 years old.”
 
Both Mama and Kagome looked startled. “1000 years old? Kurama, you're 1000 years old? That does seem rather old,” Kagome said in a small voice. “Myouga said Lord Sesshoumaru was 600 years old and while he looked young, he certainly didn't act at all young.”
 
Hiei took the opportunity to smirk at the fox. *Yes, Kurama. That does seem rather old* Youko responded by snarling at Hiei mentally.
 
{Don't be concerned, Youko. I can fix this.}
 
“I thought you were the age you seemed,” Mama Higurashi said. She was rather taken aback. “You mentioned a mother, a step father and a step brother. I thought they were all human. You said you were in school.”
 
Mama Higurashi had been very pleased to meet Kurama. It was apparent he was interested in Kagome. He was a male who was powerful, good looking and different enough to potentially interest Kagome; but he also seemed to have a stable life in the Ningenkai. If Kagome developed a relationship with Kurama she wouldn't lose her daughter and future grandchildren to some strange land. Mama was more than a little disconcerted to find out her approved potential suitor was 1,000 years old.
 
“They are all human. My family is very important to me. My current life is here in the Ningenkai. I am only 21 years old in this body. I work part time in my step father's company and attend University. Actually, I'm probably a little dull,” he said with a self deprecating smile.
 
“In this body?” Kagome asked delicately. Then her voice got firmer. “Just what are you anyway? I've been wondering that for a long time. You aren't a hanyou, but you don't appear to be a full kitsune youkai. You seem to have dual natures like you are part human and part youkai. Are you a hanyou?”
 
“Not exactly; I am an avatar. I am Kurama, a blending of the youkai Youko Kurama and Shuuichi Minamino, who I would have been if Youko hadn't entered our mother when I was in utero.
 
Kagome gasped. “He stole a body like he stole Shippou's picture?” She looked horrified.
 
*Fox, you are digging yourself in deeper.*
 
“No, no. It is a blending.”
 
“Was the soul who would have become Shuuichi Minamino given any choice when Youko `blended with him'? Kagome snapped.
 
“There was no time and my soul was too unformed. The person who would have been Shuuichi virtually didn't exist. Instead I became Kurama.”
 
“That's horrible. He stole your life? No, he stole Shuuichi's life.”
 
“No he didn't. He added to my life. I am Shuuichi. I'm just… more. I can't imagine being anything but Kurama,” Kurama said earnestly. “Without Youko, I would have been a normal ningen boy. I would have been intelligent, but not as intelligent as I am. I wouldn't be able to do the things I do or have the memories and experience of 1,000 years to fall back on. I'd have lived a normal, common ningen life. There would have been no spirit detectives and no Makai. My mother would have died of a wasting disease 5 years ago if Youko hadn't chosen her to enter. She is alive today and happily married because I was able to steal something from the Reikai. Through this blending my life will be decades longer than that of an ordinary ningen and I will keep my youth for decades we think. We really don't know how long. And there is something just as important as all that.”
 
“What?” Kagome asked.
 
“Without Youko I would never have met you,” Kurama smiled sweetly at her. Kagome sat silently and stared at him. Hiei growled mentally and Youko smirked.
 
[Heh. Clearly my 1,000 years of experience has rubbed off on you, Kurama.]
 
 
 
. . .
 
 
True to his word, Hiei tried to attack her at unexpected moments. It was summer so her school was spending more time outside. He would attack her at gym and lunch. A couple of times she was in the school hallway and suddenly felt youki. She threw up a barrier and something crashed into before it vanished. Kagome looked around but all she could see were other students in their school uniforms. She saw a kid in his uniform head around the corner, but by the time she got there he was gone. When she asked Hiei about it he just said “I told you I would not be predictable. Use your senses.”
 
Kagome was enjoying a soda with her friends again about a week after Hiei came back. She decided Hiei was right and she didn't want to be too predictable either. She told her friends Hiei had shown up and seemed to forgive her for her mistake.
 
She was relaxed and just listening to Eri and Yuka talk about the boys in their high school. This one was cute. That one was cute but really dumb. A third one was still seeing his girl friend from middle school and wouldn't look at anyone else. Most of the boys were dismissed by Eri and Yuka without much discussion. Suddenly Eri sat up straight. She and Yuka could see the door; Ayumi and Kagome were facing away from it.
 
“Babe Alert! Look out, there's two major drool factors headed this way; prime Kobe beef on the hoof. No, no, don't turn around. It will be obvious you're staring at them.” Despite Eri's comment, Ayumi turned to look at the two new boys who had just entered the restaurant. Kagome just took another sip of her soda.
 
“Wow, they are cute,” Ayumi said.
 
“Cute is not the word I would use to describe those two. Those are beautiful, drop dead gorgeous male specimens. Let's smile at them when they go by,” Yuka said. “Maybe we can get them to stop and talk to us.” She patted her hair and sat up straighter.
 
Yusuke and Kurama walked past the girls and Kurama noticed Kagome sitting there. He stopped and Yusuke stopped beside him. “Kagome chan, how nice to see you.” Three jaws dropped and Eri, Yuka and Ayumi's eyes all went wide when Kurama and Yusuke stopped and said hello to Kagome.
 
“Hello Kurama kun, how are you doing today?” Kagome asked
 
“Very well, thank you. Yusuke and I just stopped by to get a drink. It is warm out today.”
 
“Yes it is,” Kagome agreed politely. Watching them critically, she could understand why her friends were going gaga over Kurama and his friend. They were truly worthy of some admiration. Walking side by side, they were breathtaking contrasts of masculine beauty.
 
Kurama was 21. He had grown some from his days with the spirit detectives. Today he was wearing jeans and a buttoned shirt. They displayed his slender but muscular physique well. His face had lost some of the sheer beauty which made people mistake him for a girl and had developed more angles and less softness. Now he was clearly a man with red hair and piercing green eyes. He wore his red hair long and in a topknot which flowed down past his shoulders. He was very exotic looking in Japan.
 
Yusuke had changed even more than Kurama. He had been 14 years old during his days as a spirit detective. He was now 20 and had grown up a great deal. Some of the changes in his body were caused by time and some of them were caused by his Mazoku blood. Some of them were even caused by psychological maturity. Yusuke had stopped gelling his hair against his skull. He still wore it fairly short, but the thick brown hair curved gracefully around his head and shone from natural highlights instead of artificial products. Yusuke's face had also developed more mature masculine angles and he had added a lot of height. He wasn't slender, though. His muscles were built up from work and blood and he had a very broad chest and slender hips. The t-shirt and jeans he wore displayed this to great advantage. The t-shirt was tight and delineated his deltoids and biceps on the outside of his arms. They bulged with health and projected power to even the most spiritually obtuse ningen female. His eyes were the same deep chocolate brown they were when he was younger. Rather than penetrating the people he looked upon, though, most women and some men wanted to just fall into his eyes and disappear.
 
“Kagome chan, you haven't met Yusuke yet, have you? Kagome chan, this is Yusuke Urameshi. Yusuke, this is Kagome Higurashi.”
 
Kagome remained seated but gave Yusuke a short bow of greeting. “I have heard a lot about you, Urameshi san. It's very nice to meet you.”
 
Yusuke snorted and waved his arm dismissively. “Yeah, I've heard a lot about you, too. Who'd have thought the old hag would find someone else to torture. Hell, we've both been trained by Genkai. That practically makes you my sister. While we're at it, you should call me Yusuke, no honorific. Everyone else does.” Then he laughed and continued, “Well, except for a bunch of freaky monks who call me `Your Majesty.'” Kurama smiled and all the girls laughed at this. Kagome was the only girl who realized Yusuke wasn't joking about being called `Your Majesty.' Kurama and Hiei talked about the human turned Mazoku frequently.
 
Eri spoke up. “Kagome chan, do you know these gentlemen? Why don't you introduce us,” she said eagerly.
 
“Yes, of course I will Eri chan. Kurama Kun? Yusuke Kun? These are my friends Eri chan, Yuka chan and Ayumi chan. Everyone, this is Yusuke Urameshi and Shuuichi Minamino.”
 
“Are you the Shuuichi Minamino they still talk about at Meiou Academy? You have to be the same one. No one else could have that red hair or green eyes,” Yuka stated.
 
“I'm not sure if they are still talking about me but I did attend Meiou.” Kurama said briefly.
 
“So everyone calls you Kurama kun?” Eri continued.
 
“No,” Kurama said firmly. “I am Shuuichi Minamino.” Even Eri picked up he did not want to be called Kurama by strangers.
 
[The nerve of her] said Youko to Kurama in an offended mental tone.
 
Do you live here in Tokyo, Yusuke Kun? Eri asked?
 
“Pretty much I do. I split my time between here and my ancestor's lands. The monks get anxious if I'm gone too much. You know how freaktoids can be.” He just shrugged his shoulders. Half the women in the restaurant sighed at the movement.
 
“Your ancestor's lands? That sounds very interesting,” Eri said with a smile. “Have you inherited them?”
 
“Oh yeah, mores' the luck. I manage to get out of most of the day to day crap, but I still spend more time there doing dumb shit and not enough time on the fun shit like kicking somebody's ass.”
 
“Yusuke, please,” Kurama said meaningfully. “We are in the presence of lovely ladies here.” It wouldn't be beyond Yusuke for him to pop out with a story about shooting the wings off some rampaging bat youkai. Virtually everyone he knew already knew about the Makai and Yusuke didn't think to censor his conversation anymore.
 
“That's alright. I'd love to hear more about your lands,” Eri was quick to say.
 
“I had this big contest to find someone to take it over. It worked, too, but really he's more like a boss over everything. He doesn't concern himself with the little day to day shit. There are always things to do. I enjoy kicking the idiots' asses when it's needed and sometimes it's needed to show a bunch of fools they can't take over Raizen's old lands; but man, there's actually paperwork involved in being the boss. Yuck. Who'd have thought it? Better yet, who'd have thought I'd be doing it halfway willingly.” He laughed at himself. “Coming to Tokyo is like taking a vacation. I can relax.”
 
“Do you get to Tokyo very often? Do you get to see many movies? There's a really great one that just came out. I don't think any of us have had a chance to see it yet,” Eri continued quite boldly. Kurama smiled. He could tell Yusuke was just chatting with Kagome and her friends. He was completely oblivious to this approach.
 
“Hell yeah, my fiancée Keiko would kick my ass if I didn't spend enough time in Tokyo. Now there's a scary woman.”
 
“It takes a strong personality to keep you in line, Yusuke,” Kurama said slyly. Yusuke laughed. He didn't mind.
 
“Oh, that's nice.” Eri visibly deflated before turning to Kurama. “So what have you been doing since high school,” she asked brightly. It didn't take 1000 years of experience or youkai blood for Kurama to recognize a predatory look when he saw one.
 
“This and That,” he said before continuing quickly. “Kagome chan, please excuse us. Yusuke and I should get our drinks and get going. We don't want to interrupt your visit with your friends and we should get back to what we were doing. I look forward to seeing you at Genkai's temple this Saturday.” He neglected to mention he and Yusuke had been doing nothing more critical than catching up on the news. He recognized Eri's type and both he and Youko wanted to depart.
 
“Yes, of course, Kurama kun. Have a nice day.”
 
“Thank you.” He and Yusuke both said goodbye, purchased their sodas and then left the restaurant. Kagome's friends watched them silently during this process before turning to her. Yuka started the interrogation.
 
“Where did you meet Minamino san? He is still famous at the school and he's been gone for several years.”
 
“He and Yusuke know Genkai sensei. Kur… uh… Shuuichi kun practices martial arts with Hiei.”
 
“Who is Hiei?”
 
“Oh, he's one I was telling you about last week. He's the one who is helping me train.”
 
“I remember now. I can't imagine why you are concerned about him if you have Minamino san to drool over.”
 
Kagome just shrugged her shoulders. “I guess I'm weird that way.” She drank some soda. A couple of girls Kagome vaguely knew came over to ask Yuka and Ayumi about the hunks with whom they had been talking. Kagome listened to the conversation but didn't add to it. It seemed a little surreal to her for her school life and her miko youkai hunting life to intersect this way. She supposed it wasn't all that much of a coincidence. People did go to WacDonalds and clearly youkai got thirsty just like ningen.
 
About 10 minutes later Kagome decided it was time to leave. “I should go. If he is waiting to train he will very annoyed I'm not there.”
 
“You were the one who said you didn't want to be too predictable,” Yuka said.
 
“You're quite right,” Eri agreed. “Always keep them guessing. Have you kissed him yet?” She asked eagerly.
 
“No. I told you. I don't think he likes me that way.”
 
“Well, why not? You should just take the initiative if you are interested. That's what I do.” Eri said when Kagome interrupted her.
 
“Could we talk about something besides my non-existent love life?” She said in a loud voice in a suddenly quiet restaurant. Kagome cringed and banged her head on the table. “Ayumi, kill me now,” she said forlornly. Eri and Yuka sat bolt upright again when they saw the cause of the silence.
 
“Oooo, Oooo, Oooo, dibs on this one,” Yuka said. She bounced on the seat.
 
“Ha. It's every woman for herself,” Eri said enthusiastically. “A gorgeous model hunk of manhood just walked in the door. Kami-Sama! What luscious shoulders. I want; I want; I want! How does he get his hair to do that? It's fantastic. Those eyes! NO! Ayumi don't look around. He'll see us. Oh, he did. He's coming this way. Quiet. Maybe he likes my looks,” Eri said.
 
“Or mine,” countered Yuka.
 
`Or maybe he's just an irritated hiyoukai who's pissed I stopped to spend time with my friends,' Kagome thought. She sighed. She didn't need to turn around to know who was walking through the restaurant.
 
Hiei stopped at the table. He gave the three ningen a cursory dismissive glance before settling on Kagome. He was wearing his usual black pants which gathered at the ankles. They were accented with two belts. Kagome had been fantasizing of late about what would happen if she managed to burn the belts with miko energy. Would the pants fall down? What, if anything, would he be wearing underneath? Today he wore a blue scoop necked shirt on top which was cut off at the shoulders. The blue went well with his eyes. He crossed his arms over his chest and watched her with a narrow red eyed gaze. His arm and shoulder muscles flexed due to their position and Kagome had to admit he did look spectacular standing there glaring at her. Admiring the curve of his arm and shoulder muscles was more entertaining than looking at the glare in his eyes.
 
“Hello, my name is Eri. I'm so pleased to meet you.”
 
Hiei looked at her briefly before returning his attention to Kagome. “Miko!”
 
“Yo…” Kagome had to bite her tongue. Hiei smirked. He knew she couldn't call him youkai in front of her friends.
 
“Miko, what are you doing?”
 
Kagome looked down at her soda cup as though she just noticed it. “Why look at that. It appears I'm enjoying a drink with some friends.” She smiled at Hiei.
 
Hiei frowned at her and growled. “Your school ended.”
 
“Well, you were the one who said we were too predictable,” Kagome said. “I am entitled to have an occasional afternoon with friends,” she continued. Hiei growled again.
 
“Miko, you are late. You should be training, not sitting here discussing your non-existent love life.” He frowned at her.
 
Kagome flushed and banged her head on the table again. “Ayumi, kill me now. Please!”
 
“Why ask her? I would be happy to oblige,” Hiei said bitingly.
 
Yuka spoke up. “Those are the most realistic red contacts I have ever seen. Where did you get them?”
 
“What?” Hiei turned to Yuka. He looked perplexed.
 
“Your eyes - You have amazing colored eyes. Where did you get them?”
 
“My mother.” Hiei gave her a strange look and turned back to Kagome. Kagome just smiled. She had found her equilibrium again. Who knew Hiei could have a sense of humor, she thought. Then again, he may not know what Yuka meant by contacts. All the humanoid youkai she had met were either naturally magnificent or didn't care about it. Physical enhancements just didn't strike her as being a `youkai thing.'
 
“You choose, Miko. We begin here or we leave now.” Hiei boosted his youki up a small degree to show he meant exactly what he said. Kagome growled at him but jumped to her feet. Neither one of them noticed a slender male eye them warily and scrunch into the corner.
 
“We can definitely go practice at the shrine. I know there is an arrow or two with your name on it,” Kagome said with a smile.
 
“Wow,” Ayumi said. “You both must practice growling a lot. It's very realistic.”
 
“Hn; much practice since meeting the miko,” Hiei said. Kagome gave him a dirty look but didn't say anything.
 
Eri, Yuka and Ayumi watched them go out the door. Then Ayumi turned to the others and sighed.
 
“Don't they look cute together? He must have come looking for her because he missed her. Kagome chan may not think he likes her, but that's a very good sign,” she said with a nod of her head.
 
“Who cares if he likes her,” Eri said with a small scowl. “Now that I think about it, that bad boy she was seeing in middle school was really good looking too. You know the one I mean with his silver hair and unusual eyes.”
 
“Where does she find all these gorgeous men?” Yuka wanted to know.
 
“More importantly, why isn't she sharing them with us? Eri asked pointedly.
 
. . .
 
 
 
 
There you go; eye candy times three. I tried to make them physically distinct.
 
I loved how the cliffhanger got all sorts of responses. It was great. I decided not to be evil and make you wait longer for this chapter. The good news is I posted the chapter early. The bad news is because I posted chapter 8 early, it will be a good two to three weeks until I can put up chapter 9. It's only about half written. I figured you'd rather have the end of the cliffy early and then wait a bit extra for the next chapter.
 
Thank You to each and every one of my reviewers. You are all wonderful to take the time to comment.
 
Whether you think Kurama is a `good youkai' or a `bad youkai' depends on your point of view <g> Hiei certainly wasn't thrilled to find him there.
 
This time it was Hiei's turn to tell Mama a few “home truths.” A cut on the arm is trivial compared to the alternative. <g>
 
I have no idea how age became such a theme in this fic. It all started out with a piece of birthday cake. I have always thought there could be issues pairing a 1 - 2,000 year old being with an innocent 18 year old. It was a tough sell for me. It just occurred to me that perhaps Kurama really would be too old for Kagome. Naturally, I think Hiei is just right ;-)