Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Fourteen ( Chapter 14 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Fourteen

Inuyasha stretched in his corner of the cabin, unfolding from the position he had slept in. He hoped that they would find land soon, as being cooped up in the small space of the ship frustrated him. Glancing over, he saw Kagome still asleep, the blankets covering everything but the back of her head. Inuyasha sighed and stood up. He stretched quietly, and exited the cabin.

As he entered the deck, he sniffed the sea air before crossing to stand at the railing. He idly watched the waves lap at the sides of the ship, and a yawn escaped him, the utter boredom of being trapped overwhelming. If Inuyasha hadn't felt so trapped in the cabin, he would have remained there fast asleep. Instead, he was left to stare at the dark water, wondering when there would be an end to the endless sea.

Fidgeting, Inuyasha twitched his ears in annoyance. He muttered, “Are we there yet? I've seen more sea than I ever wanted.”

“Thou hast enough of the sea?” The strange speaking man joined him at the railing, now only in a light chain mail suit and tights.

“Yeah.” Inuyasha scooted down, glaring at him from the corner of his eye. “Don't you have some where else to be?”

“I have no interest in offending thee.” The man's curly hair whipped in the breeze. “I have come to apologize and ask for thy forgiveness for my behavior the other day.”

Inuyasha crossed his arms, turning towards the man. “Feh.”

“Does that mean thou hast accepted my humble apology, my lord?”

“Lord? Wait a minute, I'm not a lord.” Inuyasha glanced around the ship, spotting his brother sitting on deck, his eyes watching the exchange. “If anything, you should be calling him a lord. I'm not one of those.” Inuyasha turned his back, glaring out towards the sea.

“So you are not a lord, but he is?”

Inuyasha pinned his ears. He was already restless. It didn't help to have this weird man asking questions he had no right to ask. “Yeah. So what.” He turned from the railing, stalking across the deck to sit. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Sesshomaru's eyes flicker with amusement. “Don't even start with me, jackass.” Glancing over his shoulder, he saw that the man had followed him. Inuyasha sighed. “I accept your apology. Now can you leave me alone?”

“I only ask one more favor of thee. I missed thy name when we first exchanged words. I am the Baron of Vo Mandor, Sir Mandorallen, the mightiest knight on life. And thine?” Mandorallen extended his hand towards Inuyasha.

“Feh.” Inuyasha pinned his ears tightly to his skull. “Inuyasha.”

“And the one you said is a lord? What is his name?”

“That's my half-brother, Sesshomaru.” Inuyasha crossed his arms, refusing to extend his hand towards this odd man. He blew some hair from his face. “So, you're the mightiest knight on life?”

“In all of Arendia I am honored as such by my prowess in battle.” Mandorallen glanced towards Sesshomaru. “Those strange markings of the crescent moon and stripes of thy brother, are they some sort of tattoo?”

Inuyasha choked back a laugh. “No. They're his natural markings.”

“How strange. And thou, thy only marking is the ears affixed atop thy head?”

“Yep. He's a full blood and I'm not.” Inuyasha swiveled, his back now to the man. “Listen, I accept your apology, you know my name. Is there anything else you want?”

“I also apologize for how I behaved towards the fair Lady Kagome, as I was unaware of thy courtship. It is my deepest regret that I might have been the root of any difficulty you might have had after our banter.”

Inuyasha felt himself blush slightly. Apparently everyone was aware of how he felt about Kagome. Even strangers who had no idea about his name and origin knew. He snorted. “Feh.”

Before he could say any more, he felt himself careen into the deck and heard a giggle. A little girl voice said, “Inuyasha-sama!”

“Oi. Pup, you have to stop jumping on me.” He sat up, turning to face the smiling Rin. “How are you doing this morning?”

“Kagome-sama said she had a special thing for me this morning. Is she up here yet?”

“Nope. I'm sure she'll be here soon.” He ruffled her hair.

Mandorallen asked, “Is this thy daughter?”

Inuyasha's eyes grew wide, looking from Mandorallen towards Rin. He gasped before replying, “No. She's not my daughter. She's Sesshomaru's ward.”

Polgara stood in the cabin doorway. “Mandorallen, don't pester our guests.” She smiled slightly. “Why don't you go below and talk with my father? He said he had some information he wanted to share.”

Mandorallen bowed slightly. “Yes, Lady Polgara. I'll go converse with thy father anon.” He went below deck, much to Inuyasha's contentment.

Rin disentangled herself from Inuyasha's lap as she ran towards Kagome. Kagome yawned, stretching by the cabin door. She smiled wide when she saw Rin. “I have something for you. Why don't you come below deck and get it with me and we can bring it back up here?”

Polgara said, “Why don't I go with you two. I want to take your travel dress and wash it since it hasn't been washed in awhile. Alright?” The women disappeared down below deck, leaving the two brothers up above.

Inuyasha jumped when he heard Sesshomaru remark, “What does the miko have for Rin? Is it from her---time?” He sounded as if he still hadn't grasped what had been said last night.

“Yeah. I think so. She said something about cray-ons last night. She gives them to Shippo all the time. He draws pictures.” Inuyasha crossed his arms, sitting down onto the deck.

“I see.” Sesshomaru's brows knit together.

Inuyasha looked up to the sky, seeing birds flutter above the ship. He crossed his legs, his hands holding his feet. He stared at the deck, boredom setting in. Silver tresses draped down over his eyes and he shook his head to clear his vision. He listened to the shouts of some of the sailors as they guided the ship. Their voices were loud and coarse as they shouted commands to one another.
 
Kagome's light laughter brought him back to his portion of the deck. She said, “There, you're all set, Rin-chan. You can do what ever you want with the crayons and the paper. Have at it.”

Rin sat down onto the deck, her tongue poking out of the corner of her mouth as she began to survey the colors in the crayon box. Inuyasha saw her from the corner of his eye as she sat not far from him. Rin said, “Thank you, Kagome-sama.”

Inuyasha looked up and immediately felt the blood rush to his face. Kagome stood on deck in her school uniform. It had been so long since he had seen her wear the outfit that he had forgotten how much it revealed. Not only did it reveal her legs, it accentuated her bust much more than the gray peasant dress Polgara had lent her. The outfit was certainly one that he identified as belonging solely to Kagome. Inuyasha took a deep breath and regretted it as the scent of Kagome's perfume infected his nose. He blushed more as he felt his body react, and to cover, he sat up, turning his back towards her. Inuyasha glanced over his shoulder before turning his attention to the sky again. Anything but to look at Kagome.

A soft chuckle reached his ears and Inuyasha glared at Sesshomaru. “Can it asshole.” He hissed it so as to not alert Kagome to the problem.

Kagome sat next to Rin, coloring with the small child. She ignored the two brothers and asked, “What color should I use next, Rin-chan?”

Rin pointed to a crayon and both the brothers glanced in their direction. It was a gold crayon. “This one, Kagome-sama. It's like the color of Sesshomaru-sama's and Inuyasha-sama's eyes.”

Distracting Inuyasha from his dilemma was his brother. Sesshomaru crept upon the two as they drew pictures with the crayons, picking one up. Inuyasha wrinkled his nose in confusion as to why his brother would participate in such an activity when he saw him lift the crayon, sniffing it. Sesshomaru then placed it onto the paper, dragging it. Inuyasha rolled his eyes. Apparently now that Sesshomaru knew about Kagome's true era of origin anything and everything that she produced from her time became fodder for his curiosity.

Rin asked, “Sesshomaru-sama, would you like to color with us?”

Inuyasha had to stifle a chuckle as his brother's eyes grew wide. Sesshomaru set the crayon back down where it had lain and resumed sitting where he had a moment before. He didn't answer the small child's question. “Rin, keep on working.”

Inuyasha whispered, “Feh.”

He looked away from the group, looking up towards the masts of the ship. He flinched when he felt a hand rest onto his shoulder. Glancing upwards, he saw Kagome. She asked, “You look bored. Want to go below deck and find something to bring back up here? I can't find the deck of cards so I thought I'd ask you to help me find them.”

Inuyasha gulped in air before responding. “Feh.”
 
He stood up, following Kagome below deck. The dimness of the cabin contrasted with the brightness of the deck. He blinked a couple times to adjust his eyes. Looking over, he saw Kagome tossing items onto the floor from her backpack. Her back was turned to him and he blushed as he noticed her skirt raised a little high. Sitting down into the corner, Inuyasha refused to help with the cards for fear he might take action he'd regret later.

Kagome blew some hair from her eyes. “Inuyasha, aren't you going to help me at all?” She turned around, her hands on her hips.

Inuyasha stood, averting his eyes from her. He looked over the items she had dispersed on the floor, finding the little box the cards were always stored in. Inuyasha bent over, grabbing for them when he felt his head connect with Kagome. She had also reached for the cards. Inuyasha grunted before complaining, “Warn me next time, okay?”

Kagome shook her head, sitting down onto the bunk, giggling slightly. She gasped for air. “I'm sorry Inuyasha. I didn't mean to bump into you.” Her arms were crossed across her chest as she continued to laugh.

Inuyasha let his ears droop. He sat down next to her, the deck of cards in his hand. “Here.”

Kagome took them, her laughter finally passing. She set them onto the small table by the bunk. “Well, let me get this stuff repacked into the bag and we can go up on deck and play a game if you want.” She slid off the bunk, picking up a book.

Inuyasha stood, reaching for an item to help her when his hand brushed hers. He blushed, feeling foolish for being so awkward around her especially over such a simple touch. Inuyasha sat back down, watching as she repacked the book bag and set it into the corner.

Kagome sat down again, reaching for the cards over him. He inhaled her scent, drawing it in. She pulled back, the deck in her hands. “Found them. Should we go upstairs?”

Inuyasha shook his head. He leaned in, kissing her, his tongue tasting her lips. He eased his hands into hers, the deck of cards thudding onto the floor. Kagome's mouth opened in surprise. Inuyasha took the invitation, delving his tongue deeply in. He disentangled his hands from hers, supporting her as he deepened the kiss. Kagome placed her arms around his neck, one hand threading through his hair as it moved to rub an ear tip. He groaned into her mouth, his eyes fluttering completely shut.

Kagome leaned back, letting the bunk support her. Inuyasha broke the kiss off, gasping for air. Kagome breathed shallow breaths. She remarked, “Well, we should grab the cards and go back up.”

He said, “Forget the damn cards.”


Out of the corner of his eye, Sesshomaru watched Rin as she continued to use the crayons that the little miko had provided. He let his eyes close, the boredom of being cooped upon the ship overwhelming him. He opened one eye when he felt a tap on his hand. Rin looked up into his face, holding her piece of paper that she had colored. “Look Sesshomaru-sama. Look what I did.”

She held a picture of some flowers and two stick-like figures that he supposed were meant to represent the two of them. The childlike representations didn't resemble either of them accurately whatsoever. The crude drawing of him had something he didn't: a smile. Sesshomaru responded, “Go make another.”

Rin clapped her hands as she sat back down next to the crayon box and the papers. She grabbed some crayons, dropping them onto the blank paper. Rin then set out to make another drawing. Her tongue stuck out of the side of her mouth in concentration as she set to work.

Sesshomaru turned his gaze to the vast sea surrounding them. It looked calm as the ship drifted across the water. He watched some of the sailors work, manning the sails. Sesshomaru stood, crossing towards the railing his brother had often stood since boarding the ship. The water slid by the wooden sides, splashing against it every so often. He leaned, sighing. This sea travel took more time than he had thought it would.

Shouting broke his thoughts and Sesshomaru glanced up from the water. A smaller ship approached, black in color. The men on the ship seemed inept compared to those manning the Seabird as they shouted commands and often the men fumbled them. A strange man stood on deck, black robes hanging from his frame, a hood pulled over his face.

Sesshomaru's brows knit together. Why would they challenge a bigger ship? He looked towards Rin, then the rest of the deck. What was taking his brother and the miko so long to return to the deck? Hadn't they gone below to find something of hers to keep the half-breed occupied? He said, “Rin, go below until I tell you to come back up.”

Rin looked up from her piece of paper. She nodded, setting the crayons onto the paper, going inside the cabin door. “Okay Sesshomaru-sama.”

Sesshomaru turned his attention back to the deck of the black ship as soon as Rin disappeared. The man let his hood drop. His face looked cadaverous, his beard yellowed with age and his cheeks sunken in. He raised a bony finger, pointing towards Sesshomaru. The ship moved closer to the massive Cherek war boat, the men wary of their interception. Sesshomaru placed his hand onto Tokijin's hilt, preparing to defend from any attack.

The sailors on the Seabird stopped manning the sails, jumping to the deck, swords drawn. The large man who captained the ship, his red hair and beard flapping in the wind approached the railing. He shouted, “Stand down. Let us pass!”

The gaunt man responded, his voice a low hiss, “It is you who shall stand down. You children of the Bear God have no right to infest our waters.”

Belgarath arrived on deck, also joining the group at the railing. He looked at the man. “Grolim, do you understand that you're begging to have a fight with a Cherek war boat?” He looked closer. “You're a Murgo Hierarch as well. Aren't you a little out of your depth coming towards us from Mallorea?”

“Ancient Belgarath, I suspected you'd join the discussion.”

Zakath joined the group at the railing. “You do realize that by using a ship from my fleet I can take that as a declaration of war. All those who also man a ship of my fleet for your purpose can also be constituted as traitors. What business do you have with my ship?”

The man turned his gaze onto the Emperor. “Ah, Kal Zakath, I see you have also sided with our Malloreon brothers in the enterprise of blaspheming the memory of our deceased God. We find it sacrilege that the remaining Disciple of Torak has accepted a half-demon as Torak reborn.”

“That doesn't explain to me why you're hijacking one of my ships, Hierarch. I am full aware that you have power of your office in Rak Cthaka, but not over my person. I have no business with the half-demon in Cthol Mishrak. In fact, that is precisely why I have Ancient Belgarath with me.” Zakath's voice became cold. “I also suggest you let us pass before I contemplate a fate you would rather not like to discover.”

The man's laugher rasped. He said, “If you have no business with the half-demon, why is it that you are traveling with the demon there? If you profess to adhere to the teachings of Torak why do you profane yourself by being near such filth?”

Sesshomaru looked from the Emperor to the black robed Hierarch. He said, “Human, this Sesshomaru can hear quite well. Do not offend me. Explain what you want.” He eased Tokijin out from its place at his side, preparing to strike.

“That is for the Dread Hierarch of Rak Hagga to discuss with you.” The man pointed to a man, then commanded, “You. Steer this ship closer or I will sacrifice your beating heart to Torak.”

Belgarath sighed. “You really are asking for a lot of trouble. You should know that Cherek warships are always going to have the upper hand in sea battle. Don't say I didn't warn you though.”

The hooded man sneered. “Try it, Ancient Belgarath. See how well that overbearing hunk of wood handles battle with mine.”

Barak shook a fist. “You Murgo dog, insulting my ship is the last straw.” He turned, stomping towards the rest of the sailors to prepare for the ensuing battle. They prepared pitch, setting torches on fire. Then, they set them into catapults that were dragged across the deck. Each were set up, a rope keeping them taut until a Cherek sailor cut through it and the boiling liquid and fiery torches launched towards the ship. Each launch missed the target as it hit an invisible wall and fell harmlessly into the ocean.

Sesshomaru lifted Tokijin, pointing it towards the Hierarch. He said, “You are in my way.”
 
Releasing Tokijin's energy, he blasted the other ship, the energy blinding everyone on board Seabird briefly, the blue color melding with something. As it subsided, the ship still remained and Sesshomaru clenched his teeth. He should have known, a barrier was in the way and his brother was still below deck with the Tetsusaiga. If his blast with Tokijin didn't break it then it meant he'd have to wait.

Belgarath whistled. “That's quite the weapon you have there.” He looked over at the Grolim. The old sorcerer stood up to his full height, glaring. He whispered a word that Sesshomaru caught as “Lash.” The skeletal man across from them writhed briefly. Belgarath released the fist he had clenched and the man stopped. Then, the old man pointed a finger at the Hierarch. “You will let us pass or we shall let the Chereks do as they wish to this ship. Remember, the Emperor of Mallorea is not generous to traitors.”

Garion rushed towards the railing, his great sword drawn, the blade encased in blue fire. He stoically glared at the Grolim. The fire of the blade seemed to intensify slightly. Belgarath shook his head. “Don't, Garion. Let's hear what he has to say first.”

Sesshomaru leaned over towards the old sorcerer. “Is the barrier down then?”

Belgarath nodded. “I wrenched him from his concentration. What do you intend to do?”

Before Sesshomaru could answer the man laughed on the deck of the other ship. “Belgarath, you think you've removed my barrier? Try me. I've always wondered what it would be like to duel with someone such as yourself.”

Belgarath sighed. He muttered, “They always do this. They always have to challenge me.” He raised his voice, “You know, we both could just avoid a whole lot of trouble by going on our separate ways. We'll both just pretend that neither one of us saw one another and tell no one about it. I'll just tell Zakath to turn the other cheek for now and we'll go our ways.”

The man clenched his fists at his sides. “You cannot bribe me when I feel obligated to defend my faith from those who worship demons. Since Kal Zakath is traveling with one, I can only assume he is siding with the Malloreon Church in this matter and has turned to the practice as well.”

Zakath passed a hand over his eyes. He looked up, his expression stony. “Either you stand aside or I will have to take this assault on my character and the hijacking of my ships as an act of war. I know a few Chereks behind me who would be willing to find out how well one of my ships burns.”

“So you think you've broken my barrier?” The man's rasped laugher reached Sesshomaru's ears.

Sesshomaru narrowed his eyes. He had had enough of this talking corpse. Gaging the distance from the deck he stood on and the deck of the black ship, he figured he'd have no problem attacking in one leap. He glanced towards the other men before leaping high into the air. He landed on the deck in one smooth motion, his hand gripping the gaunt man by the throat. His hand dripped with poison, searing the withered flesh. Sesshomaru hissed, “You will either remove yourself from our path or I will remove you.”

The man gasped for air, making a gurgling sound as none came in. Sesshomaru watched as his eyes began to bulge. Easing up on the man's throat, he scraped a poison claw across his neck. The man rasped, “We will let you pass. Please, just stop hurting me.”

Sesshomaru let go completely. He let the man fall limp at his feet. Edging one foot to lift him up by his chest, Sesshomaru said, “Good.” Sesshomaru then leapt over to the Seabird. He faced towards the man as he sucked in air. “Let us continue on our journey.

Belgarath whistled. “My, we are impatient, aren't we? Well, if anything, my theory proves true then.”

Both ships returned to their courses, neither crew remarking anything to one another. Sesshomaru scanned the deck for his brother. When he saw neither the half-breed or the miko, he wondered why they had not returned to the deck. Crossing towards the cabin door, he opened it, letting Rin back into the sunlight.
 
Rin looked up at him, “Is it safe now, Sesshomaru-sama?”
 
Sesshomaru nodded. He sat back down in the same spot he had before the other ship had approached.
 
She smiled. “I'm glad. I'm going to finish my picture now, okay?”