Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Twenty Seven ( Chapter 27 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Twenty-Seven

Miroku watched as the two brothers were both escorted away from the table, the ladies following not far behind. He sipped from his water glass, glancing around the fancy ball room. Sango sat not far from him, picking at her food. If he could have it his way he'd stay put, watching her the rest of the night. The lavender dress accentuated her skin well, and what lovely skin it was. Miroku smiled to himself, inching his hand towards her shapely bottom.

“Stop right there, monk. Just because I'm dressed up in this ridiculous outfit doesn't mean I'll let you cop a feel. I don't care how cursed your hand is. You touch, you lose that hand.” Sango didn't even look in his direction and Miroku sighed. How did she always know when he was going to attempt touching?

He reluctantly pulled his hand back, setting it into his lap. It felt strange not to be wearing his robes or holding his staff. He ran his other hand across the soft, crushed velvet of his doublet. Miroku shook his head. He said, “Why, my dear Sango, what ever do you mean? I wasn't going to do anything of the sort. You misunderstand me.”

Shippo snorted on the other side of Sango. “You never learn, do you?” The small fox child started to eat his meal, turning his gaze away from the pair. “What an idiot.”

Sango glared in Miroku's direction. “Right. As if I don't know about that hand of yours. Keep it to yourself.” She looked back down at her food, chasing it around on the plate.

The juggler drew Shippo's attention, “Why don't we go down there and entertain these fine lords and ladies with a few tales? I've been feelin' the need to tell some delightful stories to some of the ladies and I'd like some of yer help, don't ya know.” Shippo nodded, standing to follow the strange acrobat they had picked up on the road.

The little rat faced man leaned over, whispering to Miroku, “I take it you're not having that much luck.” He smiled.

Miroku sighed. “She just doesn't understand that my intentions are pure.”

“Right. Why don't you come with me for awhile, let me show you around all the political intrigue. It'll keep her from killing you, maybe.” He winked, his nose twitching.

Miroku looked back over Sango, following the curves of her body underneath the fine silk. He liked the exposure of her shoulders and the creamy color of her skin blending nicely into her bodice. Miroku cringed when he saw Sango glare at him. “Alright, although I do so with reluctance.”

“Wise decision. She looks like she'd gut you without thinking twice.” He sighed. “Welcome to the tedious nature of the royal dinner party. If you'll look over there you'll notice that the kinglet from Voresbo is trying to wheedle his way into a higher rank within the city. Just because he's considered a king at home doesn't mean he's worth that much here.” The little man smiled wickedly.

“Rank can be purchased?” This idea intrigued him greatly.

“Oh certainly. Everything is for sale in Mal Zeth. The corruption smells sweetest here in the palace.” His nose twitched. “I'm a general, actually.” Silk polished a ring on the front of his doublet. “I rarely do business in the city as I try to avoid the authorities, but it does grant me certain clout, I'll admit.”

Miroku nodded, absorbing the information. He asked, “What business do you exactly do?”

“Well, lately we've been trading in the gem stone industry and Malloreon rugs. I'll never bet against the military again on beans, that's for sure.” Silk shuddered. “Look over there, see that man? He's one of Zakath's personal spies. I can bet you that if I set my mind out to do it I'd have everything he knows in less than an hour and then some he doesn't. The agency here in Mal Zeth is nothing like Boktor. If they would only arrange it slightly differently they'd have it up to speed.”

“So you spy for a living?” Miroku rubbed his chin.

“Of course. Though I don't know if you could call me as loyal to the Drasnian crown as my dear aunt Porenn would like me to be.” He shook his head.

“But you're a prince of Drasnia, at least that's how you were introduced.”

“I'm so many different people that I can't even tell you who Prince Kheldar really is.” Silk pulled on his nose. “I will say I do not envy Garion over there. He's stuck talking to that offensive stench that is the king of Pallia.” His nose wrinkled. “That one is an unabashed thief, cheat, and bootlicker. If he would only learn some class in those enterprises I'd respect him more.”

Miroku sighed. “Mind if we meet some of the ladies?”

“My, you are evil. After that one told you she'd rip your hand off you sure you want to talk with more?” Silk's dark eyes flashed in amusement.

“Why certainly. There are so many lovely ladies to talk with, after all.” Miroku glanced back up, noticing that Sango had been escorted to the floor by Polgara. She looked uncomfortable, her hands clasped in front of her as she walked along. Her dress snuggly molded to her form, the rich silk fitting to her nice bottom. Miroku absentmindedly reached out as if he could touch it from where he stood. He sighed, letting his cursed hand fall to his side.

Silk led him towards a pair of very lovely ladies. He whispered, “These are the princesses from Celanta. They're utter bores with no sense of anything except how beautiful they think they are. After five minutes your mind falls asleep.” He smiled. “Why hello there, ladies.”

The dark haired one dressed in a fine, red velvet curtsied. “Why hello, your Highness. How have you been? It's been so long since you've visited Mal Zeth.”

“I've been well. Liselle and I have been very busy the past couple of years.”

The girl's expression looked crestfallen. She then looked over Miroku. “Well, aren't you going to introduce me to your friend?”

“Oh, how very stupid of me. Lord Miroku, this is her Highness Cella and her sister her Highness Vesca.” Silk rubbed his rings again on the front of his doublet.

Miroku nodded. “It is a pleasure meeting you ladies. Mind if I made a proposition to you?”

Silk leaned in and whispered, “Oh no you don't. Not that one. If you make that proposition to one of these ladies you'll regret it.”

Miroku slumped. He said, “Ah, well, I suppose I'll have to retract that for now. I apologize. You do look quite lovely, none the less.”

Cella and Vesca exchanged glances before smiling wide. Cella said, “Are you free? I think we might have time to get acquainted.”

Miroku rubbed the back of his neck. He saw from the corner of his eye that Sango wasn't all that far away, talking with one of the other members of the court. She had her gaze trained on him. He said, “Perhaps another time, maybe?”

Vesca looked crestfallen. Her blonde hair fell around her face. “Such a pity. You are quite handsome, after all.”

Silk pulled him away. “I'm afraid, ladies, we have pressing matters with others in the court. It was delightful to see you, none the less.” He whispered into Miroku's ear, “I saw that woman, Sango, glare over here. Just what is your relationship with her before I end up getting into more trouble than I really bargained for?”

“Sango? We're, we're not like that.” He blushed, glancing towards her. Her dark eyes bore into his. Even in the finery she currently wore she looked formidable. Miroku gulped. “Then again I suppose it'd be best not to anger her, perhaps.”

“Wise decision.”

They were heading through the crowd, when a servant stopped Silk. “Excuse me, your Highness, but I was asked if you could visit with his Majesty a moment. He has some important matters that he says only you can handle.”

“Me? How could I possibly know what to do?” Silk sighed.

Miroku glanced around the floor. Inuyasha and Rin were together and both Sesshomaru and Kagome had disappeared. Something was going on and he felt nervous. It baffled him that the over-protective demon brothers would abandon the girls that accompanied them and he questioned what might be exactly going on. The way Inuyasha had acted about the party earlier convinced Miroku that he would have been glued to Kagome for the majority of the night. It was also the first time he hadn't seen Sesshomaru no more than a few feet away from the little girl.

Before Silk could abandon him in the flux of the crowd, he said, “I'll go with you.”

“Alright.”

When they reached the emperor, he leaned down. “Ah, your Highness, thank you for coming.”

He hissed under his breath, “Why all the formality?” Silk glanced around. “Just what is going on?”

“I want you to keep an eye out for any suspicious individuals. I'm not talking the typical political players. I want you to ferret out any potential spies.” Zakath glanced around the room. “Be discrete. Don't destroy my court more than you need to, please.”

“Your wish is my command, your Majesty.” Silk sounded as if he had mocked Zakath.

“Silk, must you be an unmitigated ass all of the time? Just find out anything you can. I don't want to be caught off guard by any mischief makers.” Zakath sighed, passing a hand over his eyes.

“Certainly. Does it happen to have anything to do with our friends to the north?”

“You mean that mess that got us here in the first place? Yes. Keep your ears and eyes open.”

Silk glanced towards Miroku. “Well, I guess you're going to get a crash course in spying. Let's go.”

They canvased the court, briefly visiting with other dignitaries as they went along. Miroku caught Sango staring in his direction a few times and he sighed wistfully that he couldn't spend his time contemplating her dress. Silk jabbed him in the ribs, pointing towards a conversation taking place ahead.

“I see that Zelleth has pulled off his objective. Hopefully they'll buy his diversion and we'll get closer to that group the emperor brought with him.”

It was two men, huddling in the corner together. One was darker than the other, his eyes scanning the crowd. Silk pulled Miroku behind a column, sneaking on silent feet closer to the pair. “Well, Asteca, do you see that girl that came with that one in red? We're supposed to get that little bottle she carries. Zelleth is supposed to start a feud between that pompous ass we call emperor and that country bumpkin who calls himself a king.”

“I don't know. What do you think it'd take to get rid of that one in red, anyways? He's not all that big, really.” Miroku choked back a snicker at the remark, knowing that Inuyasha wouldn't break out into a sweat killing the petty spy.

“That one in white looks like he'd be a push over if you ask me. He sure put on airs as he went through the crowd tonight. Lord of the Western lands, what ever that is, my ass.” This time his eyes went wide. Miroku had seen Sesshomaru be the most ruthless of opponents. If these two were stupid enough to anger either brother it would signal their demise.

“I don't really care about the rest of them. It's that girl with the bottle we're looking for. If I can help it, I'd rather not pick a fight with either of those silver haired men. I wouldn't mind getting to know that girl, though. We can do what ever we want with her after we get that bottle.” The thin man rubbed his hands together, his eyebrows waggling suggestively.

“I hope this pays off. I really don't want to find my head on the chopping block if this doesn't go as planned. Red eyes can rot in hell for all I care if I end up getting caught. He gives me the creeps, anyways. You ever seen someone with eyes like that before?” The other man was shorter, more portly. Miroku's eyes widened. Could the man have been talking about Naraku?

“No, can't say I have. Don't worry. If it doesn't pan out, we'll just sneak out of the city and disappear to Gandahar or something.”

Silk whispered, “Seems Zakath was right.”

Miroku glanced over his shoulder, watching as the party continued into the dancing portion of the evening. He sighed again, dejected that he had missed an opportunity with Sango. On the other hand, the situation at hand disturbed him. Just what was going on and why were these two openly discussing such treacherous matters at a public function? He whispered back, “Why aren't they doing this in private?”

Silk nodded. “I wondered that myself. Maybe another ruse?” He pulled back. “I think that's about all we need to hear, frankly. I'll have to wait until this blasted party is over before I can really canvas the palace.” He brushed his hand across his doublet. “What I don't understand is what do they want with that little bottle Kagome has.”

“Well, if who ever hired them knows what it is they know what's inside.” Miroku clenched the hand with the Wind Tunnel into a fist. “Who ever is setting up a lot of this must know something or they wouldn't know to target that. We're the only people who really even know she has it at all.” After hearing the description of who had most likely hired them Miroku had the sinking feeling he knew exactly why that bottle might be a target.

“And who ever it is must know something about our governments and history. Why else would they have another plant in the party to try and stir up trouble between Garion and Zakath? Belgarath is going to want to know this one for sure.” Silk put his hand onto his chin, his nose twitching.

Behind them they heard the two men hiss. “No! Zelleth, you bumbling idiot. You're supposed to get the red head!”

“I knew we shouldn't have accepted this idiot into our group. All he ever does is go on and on about how holy he is.” The portly man snorted. “Now what?”

Silk scanned the party revelers. He said, “I see Ce'Nedra. She must have gotten out of the trap that Zelleth was supposed to set. Come on, these two are severely in need of a new plan and that might take awhile.”

They made their way back through the crowd, nodding at various individuals. When they reached the center, Silk offhandedly brushed against Zakath. “Two men are at at the party after that little bottle Kagome has. They said someone named Zelleth was here to start a war between you and Garion.” He continued on his way, Miroku not far behind.

Zakath said without looking in their direction, “Keep digging. After the party ends see if you can locate where they are in the palace. I want to know where they've set up their headquarters and set a trap.”

“Will do.” Silk turned, looking at Miroku. “Well, I must say you're not half bad at this. You wouldn't be interested in joining the Academy in Boktor by any chance?” He winked. “Look, try to act natural the rest of the party. If we keep ourselves low key we'll make them comfortable and they'll screw up.”

Miroku nodded. “I don't know about you, but I don't like this one bit. I have a sinking feeling.”

“Me too. Let's act natural and slip back into the dull boredom that is court life. It's all a lie that it's fun.” He smiled, mischief dancing in his dark eyes.

Miroku noticed that Sango's eyes were trained on him again and he sighed. It was such a pity that all of these spies had been sent to the palace when he could have been enjoying Sango's attire. He heard the orchestra start up a song; it would have been his biggest opportunity and now he couldn't get it back. He shook his head. “Ah well, maybe another time.”

“For what?” Silk followed his gaze and he shook his head. “You don't know when to quit, do you? Come on, I think we should rescue Barak over there from that overdressed peacock.”

Miroku shook his head again, turning to follow the little thief into the crowd. Perhaps he'd get at least once dance with her before the night was over. Even if he didn't, he could hope at least, couldn't he?


Ce'Nedra led Kagome through the crowd, smiling at the various women. It was obvious to Kagome that the tiny girl relished in the attention. She glanced over her shoulder as she saw Inuyasha melt into the crowd, his gold eyes staring at her. The desire that pooled in them made her blush. Although a spell kept most from seeing his ears, she saw that they were flattened against his head. Then he was gone and she was stuck with Ce'Nedra.

Ce'Nedra said, “Come on, Kagome. We can't always be attached to our men. We ladies should have some fun, too, you know.” She winked.

Kagome blinked, wishing she could have kept track of Inuyasha's whereabouts. She turned, smiling weakly towards the red-haired queen. “Sure.”

Ce'Nedra touched her arm. She said, “I think you'll have a good time. Most of the ladies here are green with envy about you, I think.”

They approached a slightly large woman in a red dress. She wasn't fat but she certainly hadn't starved. She gushed, “Your Majesty, you look absolutely darling tonight.”

Ce'Nedra flashed a winsome smile in the woman's direction. “You, too, your Highness. You look delightful in red. I wish I could pull of that color without looking absolutely washed out.”

“Oh, and who is this here, your Majesty? She looks just beautiful.”

“This is Lady Kagome, your Highness. She's with the one with silver hair. The one in red.”

“Oh, you lucky girl, you. He's very handsome indeed. I wish I could have found one so dashing.” She gushed and Kagome felt her cheeks flame. The small talk and superficiality of the whole affair bothered her. So far none of these people seemed to actually see her. They simply saw who she was attending with. It was clear to her that this dinner was a political game and she had become a piece to move within it.

Kagome nodded her head. “Yes, well, he can be stubborn sometimes, too.” That was the understatement of the century. She thought back to the fight with the shoes. She was certain that he would have worn them if she had only a little more time, but all the people had to come into the room and interrupt. She sighed. It didn't really matter now.

“Is his brother unattached at all? He's just as exquisite.” The large woman sighed dramatically.

“He's currently free though he really isn't looking.” Kagome hoped that the answer would satisfy.

“One so young not to have a wife? He should remedy that situation. If only my daughter was old enough. Such a pity, I suppose.” She smiled.

Kagome shook her head, not replying. She wasn't about to tell this woman that Sesshomaru was at least four hundred and fifty years older than this petty queen let alone her daughter. She knew he was young for a demon, but a young man? Hardly. She hid a smile behind her hand.

The woman turned her attention towards Ce'Nedra. “Oh, your Majesty, how is your husband by the way? King Belgarion is always a delight to see at court. He's always so courteous.”

“Oh, he's wonderful.” Ce'Nedra tilted her head, a slight bell sound coming from her earrings. She said, “I am afraid we must take our leave. Lady Kagome has many to meet tonight, after all.”

Kagome whispered. “Just who was that?”

“An oafish pig from Peldane. Wasn't she utterly disgusting in that red?” She smiled. “I know, I'm awful, aren't I? After awhile all their gushing comments get to you. They're after power.”

“I see.” Kagome brushed her hand across the silk dress she wore, feeling as if all the eyes in the place had settled on her. She saw several men glance in her direction, smiles on their faces. Without Inuyasha hovering around her, they must figure she was fair game. It unnerved her how unabashed they were in their courting. Kagome wished she had grabbed onto Inuyasha's arm and went with him instead.

Ce'Nedra smiled. “Well, how do you like court so far? This is much bigger than the Stronghold, wouldn't you say? You're doing just fine. Don't stress so much about those young men ogling you. Relish in it. You already caught your fish and now you can sit back and deflect their advances with ease. It just proves you still have it, that's all.”

She nodded, flashing another weak smile. Kagome looked around the candlelit room. She saw the ornate tables with their fancy tablecloths and the sculptures throughout the room. It amazed her that she was here in a royal court, dressed in a fancy medieval dress. If the girls from her time could only see her now! She smiled wide.

They met with several more kinglets and queenlets, all which repeated the same conversation over and over as the first they had met. Kagome started to calm down, and she relished in the attention of the young men there. While Kagome had been nervous at first, the idea that she was being sought after intrigued her. She knew she wouldn't want anyone but Inuyasha, but it did make her feel desired to have a few of the men look in her direction. She said offhandedly after leaving behind another man with dashed hopes, “Yes, it is quite a bit bigger than the Stronghold. I must say, I've never been to a court this big.”

“Oh, someday I should take you and Inuyasha to Tol Honeth. You'd love it there. It's always warm there and it's such a beautiful city. It's my girlhood home before I was sent to dreary Riva.” She shook her head again, making the earrings tinkle. “I think you'd enjoy it.”

Kagome nodded. “Maybe we'll get to go there sometime.”

Ce'Nedra waved at a man across the way. She said, “I love making conquests. They all know I'm taken but they do fawn so well. I know they could care less about what I say, but I'm not here to have an in depth discussion.”

Kagome blushed as she saw one of the men approach. He was tall, dark haired, and in a rich purple doublet. The oily smile on his lips unnerved her and she felt anxious without Inuyasha by her side to fend off such obvious suitors unaware of her already taken status. Ce'Nedra didn't seem to help as she encouraged the man, flirting ever so slightly with him. She shook her head so her acorn earrings made a tinkling sound. Kagome had no doubt in her mind that the queen had no intention of cheating on Garion, but she wished that the attention Ce'Nedra gained for them would dissipate. It had been fun but now she wanted to find Inuyasha back and retire for the night to their suite.

The man arrived, bowing. He took Ce'Nedra's hand into his and said, “Your Majesty, you look magnificent tonight.” Before the tiny girl could reply, he kissed her hand. “It is a shame that you are quite taken, my dear.”

Ce'Nedra blushed, flirting in turn. “You're too kind. What is your name?”

“I am known as Zelleth.” He turned his attention towards Kagome. “And who is this lady here? Was it Kagome?”

Kagome was astounded that the young man had remembered her name. She blushed, nervous around him. She nodded and said, “Yes.”

He took her hand into his, kissing it. “It is my pleasure to meet you, Lady Kagome. Might we find time to get better acquainted?”

“I'm, I'm with someone tonight.”

“Tonight? Oh, that strange silver haired man in red, right? How about tomorrow for tea, then?”

“He's my ma—husband.” Kagome stuttered, unsure if the man would understand the term mate and the implications that went with it.

“Oh? I did not realize you were entangled as such.” He flashed a smile. “I must say he is an unusual fellow, your husband that is. Where is he from? You look like a fine Malloreon girl to me.”

Kagome had the sinking feeling that this man wouldn't respect Inuyasha's claim as her mate. He seemed determined to find a reason for them to talk privately and all his interest lay in sizing up the competition, namely Inuyasha. She had no doubt in her mind who would win the contest, but it wasn't worth the murder of this courtier. She said, hoping he would buy the lie, “From the west, his brother's lands. They're a bit to the south.”

“Oh? Surely it's not a part of Cthol Murgos? That stinking waste land is no place for a fine Malloreon lady such as yourself.”

“I'm not Malloreon.” She glanced around, trying to locate a flash of red and the silver of Inuyasha's hair. At this point she'd settle for Sesshomaru or Miroku rescuing her from the predicament.

Ce'Nedra tugged on her arm. “Well Zelleth, it has been an absolute delight to talk with you. We must be going. My husband wishes to retire soon and it'd be best if I am with him when he wishes to make that decision.”

Zelleth's dark eyes swept over the two of them. He nodded, “Of course, your Majesty. But Lady Kagome doesn't have to go off with you, does she?”

Ce'Nedra bit her lip and Kagome realized she had made a mistake. Ce'Nedra remarked to her without moving her lips, “He's not going to leave you alone unless you get Inuyasha. He doesn't respect him.”

Kagome groaned. She didn't exactly like the man before her as it was. He may have dressed pretty and spoke eloquently, but she detected that he was unaware of how much cologne was too much. Where on earth could Inuyasha, Sesshomaru, or Miroku be? Any of them could have handled the situation with ease. Kagome sighed. She said, “I must return to my lord.” Her own voice sounded forced, trying to out duel the prissy man before her. She curtsied. “He will be most displeased with me if I don't return to him soon.”

Zelleth nodded. “Let me escort you to him, then, my lady. No reason for you to be accosted by any of these other men on your way to your husband.” He extended his arm to her.

Ce'Nedra was right, this fool had no respect for Inuyasha. Could it be because of the long hair? Inuyasha always looked so wild and masculine to her that she had no inkling what a man might think of his appearance. Or, did he know something he wasn't revealing? She sensed no aura of evil from him. He didn't feel like a demon, so she wondered why this young man would be so insistent. She reluctantly accepted his offer, hoping that when she found Inuyasha she could clean her hands of the parasite.

They weaved their way through the crowd, and Kagome noticed that the man led them towards a hall way section of the banquet hall. She glanced, trying to see if the tiny queen had followed and noticed that Ce'Nedra had disappeared. Zelleth grasped her arm tightly and she winced. It was obvious this man had no intention at all of leading her to Inuyasha.

She struggled against him, hoping that he'd let her go so she could get away. Zelleth snarled at her, his dark eyes snapping with anger. Kagome knew she was in big trouble and over the din of voices, the idle laughter, and the sound of dish-ware clinking that she had little chance of being heard by anyone. All except for Inuyasha or Sesshomaru that was.

Before she could cry out, Zelleth pinned her against a wall, his hand over her mouth. He slid a dagger out of his pocket and placed it at her throat. “You scream and I'll cut your throat. Do you understand? I noticed that the emperor favors the King of Riva and that his friend is your husband. You're going to do what I say and get me close to the emperor.”

Kagome nodded, trying to find a way to alert Inuyasha, or anyone for that matter, to her plight. She hoped he'd at least remove his hand from her mouth so she could breathe. His cologne was killing her. He hissed, “I'm going to kill the emperor and you're going to help me do it. If you don't do what I say, I'll slice your pretty dress off and punish you. I might even have to kill that strange husband of yours. You wouldn't want that, would you?”

Kagome shook her head. Her heart beat increased and she hoped that her distress would reach Inuyasha somehow, that he'd feel that something was wrong. She saw into the throng of people that she couldn't see anyone she recognized. No Sango, no Miroku, no Sesshomaru, no one. She gasped when she felt the man forcefully slam her into the marble column behind them. He had turned her back to the crowd and she felt so disoriented in the gloom of the hallway wing off the dining room.

Zelleth lifted his dagger from her throat and slid it under the velvet choker. He sliced it off, clutching it in his hand before placing the knife edge back to her throat. Zelleth glared at her. “Such a lovely throat to be marred by such a hideous scar. I bet you that your husband is really a demon, no? I've heard things that the emperor of this realm had sided with demons. You let a filthy demon mate with you, didn't you? You're disgusting. You're a whore for demons and we both know it. What's one more for you?” His hand eased down, brushing her thigh through the thin fabric. He rubbed ever so slowly, sliding his hand to her inner thigh. She was thankful for the silk and undoubtedly her cotton panties, but it wasn't enough. His touch made her flesh crawl.

Kagome blinked back tears. She wished someone would come and stop this man from hurting her or accusing her of being dirty for loving Inuyasha as much as she did. She tried to struggle against him when she felt the blade slightly cut into her. Kagome squeezed her eyes shut as she felt his tongue run across the fresh cut on her throat. She waited for him to either finish slitting her throat or make good on his word when the knife and the body pressing her against the column disappeared. She heard the knife clatter to the floor over the din of people talking and then the man slam into the wall. When she opened her eyes, she saw Sesshomaru had the man pinned against the wall, his hand around the man's throat.

“Human, you will never lay a hand on my brother's mate again. Do you understand?” Kagome noticed that his hand glowed a slight green tinge and that any moment he would poison the man. “What were you doing with her?”

The man choked out, “Let go, demon filth.” He had his hands on Sesshomaru's wrist, squeezing. It didn't affect the Demon Lord. “You cannot kill a holy person. I was sent to dispose of the demons in the name of Torak.”

Sesshomaru's eyes narrowed and he squeezed a little tighter. He snarled, “Human filth, your Torak is dead, slain by the same hands of the king you wish to get close to. You're worthless.” He slammed the man's head against the wall, dropping him unconscious to the floor. He turned around slowly and Kagome gasped. His eyes were blending back and forth from gold to red. His silver mane lifted around his face, adding to his feral appearance.

Kagome ran, hugging Sesshomaru as she finally sobbed. She buried her face into his silk robes. “I was so scared.” Sesshomaru stiffly placed his arm around her. She wrapped her arms tighter around him, shaking. He felt so solid and strong and she was thankful that he had come to her rescue.

His hand brushed over her hair briefly. His voice sounded tightly controlled as he stated, “Kagome, Inuyasha will want to know.”

Kagome felt more tears course down her cheeks. She rasped out, “He, he wants to kill Zakath. He wanted to use me to get to Zakath. He said he'd kill Inuyasha.”

“I heard. He shall not harm you again.” He gently rubbed her hair before letting go and Kagome noticed that his eyes had bled fully red.

Kagome felt nervous but completely safe with Sesshomaru. She reached up, touching her mark. When she pulled back, she saw blood on her fingers. Kagome looked from her fingers to Sesshomaru's face. He looked savage. It was the most out of control she had ever seen the Demon Lord become. Sesshomaru took a step towards her, his hand reaching out. He brushed some of the blood off her throat. His eyes intensified in fury before he closed them and lowered his arm back to his side. When he reopened his eyes, they had returned to a burnished gold, yet anger swirled inside.

The man Sesshomaru had slammed against the wall groaned as he regained consciousness. Kagome was surprised that Sesshomaru hadn't simply killed the man outright. Sesshomaru turned, looking at Zelleth. He picked him up by his shirt collar and snarled, “You will come with me. You will do as I say or I will kill you. Do you understand?”

Zelleth's groggy eyes focused on Sesshomaru's face. He groaned, his head lolling to one side. He couldn't form any cohesive thoughts and Sesshomaru held him up, dragging him towards an exit of the banquet hall to another side room. He tossed the man on the floor and returned to Kagome. She asked, “Is he alive?”

“Yes.” He closed his eyes again, taking deep breaths. “You will remain with me for now. We will find Zakath and inform him. Until then do not leave my side as it is not safe. I will return you to Inuyasha when I am certain of your welfare.” He handed her a small handkerchief. “Here.”

Kagome nodded. “Thank-you.” She wondered what would cause Sesshomaru to feel so angry over the attack. Kagome knew he and his brother had come to an understanding, but she didn't really think it extended to her. She wiped her neck with the cloth that Sesshomaru had provided, following his stoic form as he caught up with Zakath.

Zakath turned, looking towards the two. He said, “Sesshomaru, is there something you needed?”

Sesshomaru nodded. “Come with me.” He turned, making his way back towards the small room off the banquet hall. Kagome followed close behind, not wanting to be separated from the Demon Lord.

Zakath followed not far behind. He asked, “Do you know what he wants?”

Kagome nodded, blinking back tears again. She felt so stupid for letting it happen in the first place. Sesshomaru opened the door and the man sat on the floor in a heap. Sesshomaru nudged him with a foot. “Get up.”

Zakath asked, “What is this all about? Why is this man injured?”

Sesshomaru lifted the man up from the floor. He snarled, “Tell him, Zelleth. Tell him your plan.”

The man grunted, lifting his head up. His head fell back as he lost consciousness again. Kagome said, “Don't hurt him anymore. Please.” She closed her eyes as more tears fell. “That man, he, he wants to kill Inuyasha. He wants to kill you.”

“Me? What have I done to acquire such a traitor at my own palace?”

“It is because you associate with me and my brother. He knows what we are.” Sesshomaru let go of the man, letting him fall back to the floor and Kagome wondered why he held such restraint. He could have easily killed him at any time.

Zakath's eyes narrowed. “I will send someone to retrieve this man and we shall deal with him accordingly. Tell no one of this matter. I don't want the others out there who might have the same idea to scatter. I'd rather set a trap for them. Thank you for pointing this matter out to me, Sesshomaru.” His expression became similar to Sesshomaru's, cold, calculating and emotionless. “Return to the party and act as if nothing happened.”

Sesshomaru nodded. He leaned over, whispering in Kagome's ear, “You will stay with me for the duration of this party. It would be best not to upset my brother over this matter in front of this crowd. Do not go near him until it is time to retire for the evening. If he should smell your blood before then he may go into a rage. Do you understand? I do not do this to hurt you or your mate.”

Kagome nodded. She said, “I understand. We don't need Inuyasha to make a scene.” She finished wiping the blood from her throat. “What about my mark?”

Sesshomaru squared his shoulders. He pulled another cloth from his robes. “Place this around your throat.” It was a soft yellow.

Kagome nodded her thanks, folding it into a strip and tying it into a scarf. She sighed. “Why didn't you kill that man?”

“It serves no purpose to dispose of him just yet. I will attend to that matter when he is no longer valuable.” Sesshomaru's voice sounded like ice and Kagome felt a chill run up her spine. “Or, I shall simply hand him over to your mate.”

Kagome shuddered to think what might happen if Inuyasha should get a hold of the man. She knew he wouldn't hesitate to kill a male, especially a rival one that was challenging his claim on her. While the man had simply implied rape as a consequence if she became uncooperative, even mentioning it once had been enough for Sesshomaru and would be more than enough for Inuyasha. Either way the man would die and it would be a violent death. She adjusted the scarf at her neck. “Well, I suppose we should return to the party before Inuyasha comes looking.”

Sesshomaru held his arm out for her and she arched an eyebrow. It was no shock to her that the Demon Lord would have such manners in a court such as this. She accepted his offer, knowing that no more men would dare challenge, especially one such as him. It would be foolish and life threatening. She caught a slight smile at the corner of his lips. It seemed as if in an instant Sesshomaru's complete demeanor had changed again. If someone had told her a few short months ago that she'd be escorted through a fancy party by Sesshomaru she would have told them they were crazy. Yet, here she was. He said, “Shall we?”