Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Thirty-Eight ( Chapter 38 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Thirty-Eight

Sesshomaru washed his face off in the basin sitting in the small bath house inside the inn. He shrugged back into his haori, shaking his arm into the sleeve before tugging the other side up onto his left shoulder. Sesshomaru looked over towards Inuyasha, noticing the guilt and pain in his brother's eyes. He sighed. “Inuyasha, we already went through this. Do not make this Sesshomaru repeat himself.” He tied his haori shut, smoothing it down.

Inuyasha remained silent, averting his eyes. Sesshomaru knew that it would take time for his brother to truly let it go, but he did not want to hear another diatribe on how filthy or worthless Inuyasha felt he was. He glanced at his brother as he tried to wash the caked mud out of his hair. Inuyasha grumbled and grunted as he struggled to get his silver hair clean again. Rolling his eyes, Sesshomaru picked up some soap from a shelf. He tossed it at the tub, a small splash heard as it plunked into the water. “Half-breed, use some soap.”

Inuyasha looked up at him, his gold eyes angry. He snatched the soap out of the water, snorting. “Feh.” He scrubbed the soap across his hair. “Don't you have some place to be, bastard?”

It seemed that some things just would never change about Inuyasha, Sesshomaru supposed. He replied nonchalantly, “Half-breed, as a matter of fact, I do.”

He turned towards the door, stopping to glance over his shoulder at his brother. He watched as Inuyasha rinsed his hair before scouring it again with the soap. Sniffing, Sesshomaru turned his back and exited into the hallway. Something was different about his brother and it had nothing to do with the alcohol Inuyasha had consumed. It also didn't have to do with the typical feelings of self-hatred Sesshomaru had hoped to stomp out in his brother. Something else was going on.

Sesshomaru thought of how his brother had looked, staggering drunk. The hateful things Inuyasha had described from his dreams accompanied by the self-put downs bothered him. He had an inkling from Inuyasha's human night that his little brother had felt some of these things, but in the intensity he had seen displayed tonight made those attitudes all the more disturbing. In all the fights he and his brother had through the years, Sesshomaru was certain that Inuyasha's will to live was a strong one. The way his brother thought and talked now that they were traveling companions made it seem that it was almost the opposite. Hadn't Inuyasha asked him to kill him several times tonight? It was as if he was trying to commit suicide by provoking him. And yet, when he had offered to follow through on the promise the hanyou had said no.

His brother's skin had felt feverish to the touch, no doubt an effect from all the foul smelling alcohol he had consumed. Yet, something tugged in the back of Sesshomaru's mind as he ascended the stairs to the room Rin rested in. As real as the emotions that Inuyasha had about his status as a hanyou were, the frightening dreams Inuyasha had described to the young man seemed too intense. Something was off about the whole affair. Why would Inuyasha dream so many different events from his life that ended so brutally? Sesshomaru pursed his lips, puzzling the problem out. It didn't make sense. Certainly the actions Inuyasha had taken while intoxicated were no mystery, but the actions he had taken in his dreams were. The way the real events had altered into a savage blood bath made no sense. Sesshomaru highly doubted that deep down Inuyasha would ever truly do any of the things he had described to the Godslayer. The only exception being the incidents while Inuyasha was transformed into his full-demon form and even then some of the incidents in the dreams would never be realized.

Opening the door to his room, Sesshomaru stepped through, seeing that Rin slept peacefully. Her dark hair billowed around her head and she slept with her arms crossed around her neck. Rin's mouth hung open slightly and she murmured in her sleep intelligible nonsense. Sesshomaru knelt down, brushing her hair from her forehead. After all of the excitement of the night, it felt relaxing to watch the young girl sleep. She rolled over onto her side, leaning in towards his touch. Her eyes opened slowly and a small smile played across her lips. “You came back, Sesshomaru-sama.”

Sesshomaru shook his head, silver tresses falling into his eyes. Of course he came back. He ran his thumb on her cheek. Standing, Sesshomaru crossed to the other side of the bed. He sat down and Rin turned to curl up on his chest. His only reply was a soft snort. She yawned and snuggled down. Sesshomaru absentmindedly rubbed her hair. He was still puzzling out the difference in his brother. Inuyasha may certainly feel all the things he had expressed, but something just did not feel right. His scent hadn't seemed any different, beyond the rancid smell of alcohol. What was it, then, that was different?

Inuyasha's eyes had certainly been haunted, the golden orbs radiating disgust and loneliness. Sesshomaru conjured in his mind how his brother had looked during the scuffle, trying to piece what was missing together. He had stumbled from the effects of his drunkenness. It wasn't that. His voice had sounded the same as always, loud and rough. Yet, it almost seemed slightly odd for Inuyasha, even in a state of intoxication, to give voice to the self-hatred boiling below the surface, and to Sesshomaru no less. Sesshomaru had only seen his brother come close to such confessions when he had become human. This was different. It was as if something had snapped inside Inuyasha. His confessions had been real, there was no doubt about it, but there was no mistake, they had seemed rehearsed. Sesshomaru knew his brother was intelligent, but to actively rehearse such things to say just did not fit into Inuyasha's character. It just didn't feel right.

Rin drew his attention as she rubbed her nose under his chin. She hugged him tight. “Sesshomaru-sama?”

“Rin.” He sat up, letting her settle into his lap. Sesshomaru looked down at her, waiting for her to say what ever it was she had to say.

Instead of getting a response, he felt Rin dance her fingers across his side. Resisting the urge to jump in surprise, Sesshomaru heard her giggle softly. What had come over the little girl? She kept flicking her fingers over his ribcage and Sesshomaru had to grasp her hand into his to stop her. She smiled wide at him, her brown eyes full of mischief. Rin hugged him before kissing his cheek. “I guess Sesshomaru-sama's not ticklish.” So she had been trying to tickle him. What had brought that on was a mystery to him, almost as much as the one that had brought on his brother's confessions.

He made his voice stern. “Rin.”

Rin looked up towards him, her smile becoming a slight pout. She looked down. “I'm sorry, Sesshomaru-sama.” She pulled away from him, rolling over, her back to him.

Sesshomaru placed his hand onto her back, rubbing small circles. He turned on his side and pulled her close to himself. Nuzzling his nose into her hair, he said, his voice softer, “Rin.”

Rin turned her head, looking at him. She kept her eyes averted from his. “I'm sorry, Sesshomaru-sama. I promise not to do it again.” She rested her head back onto the pillow.

“Rin, why?” He was curious. Sesshomaru wondered why she might attempt such a thing at all.

Rin said, “It was disrespectful of me, Sesshomaru-sama.”

“No, Rin. I want to know why you did what you did.” Sesshomaru furrowed his brow in confusion.

Rin turned to look at him. She kept her eyes downcast. “I'm sorry. I won't do it again.”

“Rin,” he made his voice firm, “answer my question.”

“I just wanted to see if you'd laugh.” She didn't look at him, her expression dejected.

Sesshomaru pursed his lips. “I see.” Why would she want to see him laugh? He felt her snuggle into his chest. He moved his hand down to her side to pull her closer when she squirmed away, giggling. Now what was she doing? First his brother was acting strange and now Rin. What was going on? He didn't remove his hand, flicking one claw absentmindedly. Rin pushed against him, squealing in laughter. He arched an eyebrow at her.

Rin got out of his grasp. She panted as she tried to catch her breath from laughing before sitting back down onto the bed. Rin leaned against him. “That tickled, Sesshomaru-sama.” Sesshomaru shook his head. Something had overcome the tiny girl. She hugged him around the neck and kissed his cheek again. “Do you forgive me, Sesshomaru-sama?” Her voice was soft.

Sesshomaru sighed. He adjusted so she was once again sitting in his lap. “Yes, Rin.” In all honesty, besides being surprised by her behavior, Sesshomaru couldn't find anything that Rin had done wrong. He asked, wanting to know why she would want to see him laugh, “Why?”

“Why what?” She looked up at him, her small nose wrinkled in confusion. Rin cocked her head to one side and he had to stifle a laugh.

“Why did you want to see,” he paused, “this Sesshomaru laugh?”

“Oh.” She looked down before resting her head onto his shoulder. She traced her finger on his left shoulder. She became quiet and Sesshomaru almost had to wonder if the child had fallen asleep. Rin whispered, “Why don't you laugh?”

Sesshomaru scrunched his nose at the question. Why would she ask such a question? “Answer my question, Rin.”

She sat up, looking at him. “After my bath I talked with Poledra-sama.”

Poledra-sama? The wolf-woman? Why would Rin talk to her? He nodded his head. “I see. Go on.”

“She said something about playing.” Rin fingered her smock.

“Go on.”

“Why don't you laugh?” Rin looked at him, her brown eyes full of questions.

Sesshomaru didn't really have an answer. After all, he didn't see very much to actually laugh at. Especially after the encounter he had with Inuyasha and the battle they had in the night, Sesshomaru found that much around him was not amusing. Instead of answering her question, he asked, “What did she say about playing.”

Rin averted her eyes away from him again. She said, “Poledra-sama said you hadn't in awhile.” She yawned wide before resting her head onto his shoulder. “I won't do it again.” She sighed. “Poledra-sama said that you were right to not like the man-eating wolves, too.”

Sesshomaru's eyes went wide then narrowed. It was no secret that he was not exactly enamored with the strange wolf-woman. She was eerie to say the least. It seemed as if she was watching them quite often, not just him and Rin, but everyone in the group. Her gold eyes, while much like his own, were filled with a mischief and mirth, although there was wisdom. He still did not trust her, nor did he like her. While it might be irrational to dislike all wolves for the incidents that had led to Rin's death, Sesshomaru couldn't help but feel prejudiced against them. Yet there was one undeniable fact: the wolf-woman had saved Rin. He answered, “I see.”

Rin yawned again, nestling up to him. She said, “Poledra-sama asked if I was ready. I don't know what that meant. Do you?”

This bothered the Demon Lord. Why would the strange woman ask Rin such a question. He shook his head, threading his claws through her hair. “I do not know.” Her even breaths meant she must have fallen back asleep. After all, much of the night she had been awake. Dawn was slowly approaching, gray light streaming through the window.

He sighed, closing his eyes. Now that Rin was asleep, he could return to his other predicament. Inuyasha still had seemed different. Chills coursed down his spine as he thought of the terrible dreams that had infected his brother's sleep. There had to be something about them that Sesshomaru was missing. If it wasn't in how his brother had confessed much of his inner hatred, it had to reside in the nightmares his mind had conjured. What was missing from the puzzle? They certainly were graphic and horrific.

Exactly where had they come from? Why had he and Kagome gone their separate ways and why was Inuyasha not guarding his mate, especially after the secret of her time travel had been exposed? All of these questions only raised further. It didn't make any sense why his over protective brother would not be glued to his mate at a time like this. Inuyasha was fiercely defensive about anyone targeting anything about Kagome or her origin of era. So what had caused Inuyasha to be separated from his mate long enough to fall into a restless sleep filled with gruesome dreams and then to get heavily inebriated? In his experiences traveling with Inuyasha and Kagome, Sesshomaru had rarely seen his brother far from the young miko, especially when he believed danger to be near. So what kept his brother from following every instinct in him to protect his mate?

The nightmare that disturbed Sesshomaru the most was not the one Inuyasha had described almost clinically involving their battle which had resulted in the loss of his arm. The way Inuyasha had described executing his own mate was most unsettling. The way Inuyasha had portrayed it had seemed cold and heartless. Sesshomaru clenched his teeth together. This had to be the right direction. Something to do with this particular dream itself had to be the root of the difference in his brother. He knew Inuyasha would never willingly harm his mate. Kagome was too precious to the half-breed. What had he said had happened in the dream? Inuyasha had mentioned Kagome asking why he had betrayed her in the dream.

Sesshomaru's eyes went wide. That was it! It had to be. There was something severely wrong with the dream itself. Hadn't both Kikyo and Inuyasha believed that they had been betrayed by the other? Why would this dream mention betrayal? Naraku had created that betrayal. Sesshomaru eased Rin off his chest. He rested her back into the bed, running a thumb on her cheek before exiting on silent feet. He had to find Inuyasha and ask him everything that had happened in the dreams. It wasn't the way his brother's confessions had seemed rehearsed that was off. It was the dreams and the way his brother described them that was wrong. If he could find out everything that had happened in the dreams themselves perhaps Sesshomaru could find out what was happening with Inuyasha.



Kagome slumped against the door after she left the room she shared with Inuyasha. She could hear him cursing and hitting the floor with his fists after she had sat him. Sighing, Kagome made her way down the hallway. She was worried about Shippo. Wiping an errant tear from her eye, she straightened her shoulders. Kagome knew that Inuyasha had meant well when he had yelled at her, but it still didn't mean it hadn't hurt. She glanced over her shoulder, waiting for the thudding footsteps that belonged to Inuyasha to follow her. When none came, Kagome turned to see the hallway empty. What was going on? Why hadn't Inuyasha pursued her?

She reached the door to the room where Shippo was being cared for. She stopped in front of it when she heard Polgara's voice. It was clipped and angry. “Well Old Wolf, you will not pressure her about the matter if she comes to see Shippo. I don't care how curious you are. There is an injured little boy here and she's worried about him. I will not let you pester her.”

Belgarath's voice joined into the conversation, “Now, Pol, you know as much as I do that they should have told us when we knew her name in the Prophecy. Maybe there is something we have to know about her era.”

“Tomorrow is another day, father. You can pester her all you want when Shippo is better and she's not so scared out of her wits.” Her voice was like venom as she addressed her father. “Close your mouth, Old Man. You'll catch flies if you don't.” She heard the old man sputter his response.

Kagome softly knocked on the door, announcing that she was there. She peeked around the door before entering. Shippo rested on a small table where Polgara was carefully washing out his head wound. He looked disgruntled. “Come in, dear.” Polgara's voice became soft as she looked over.

Kagome quietly entered and took a seat in a small chair. She looked down at the floor. “How is he?”

“He's tough. I get this head wound of his cleaned out and he'll be just fine.” She smiled before turning her gaze onto Belgarath. The old man flinched visibly and kept his mouth shut. Polgara's eyes were like steel.

Kagome sat watching Polgara tend to Shippo. She bit her thumbnail nervously. Shippo had awoken awhile ago while they traveled, but he was still dazed. Connecting with the tree the way he had must have rattled something. She leaned over as Polgara prepared a salve for the head wound. The young kit had a gash an inch deep in his forehead, one she knew would be healed before morning arrived, but scared her none the less. He may be a full kitsune demon, but he was still a child. Shippo smiled weakly up at her, doing his best impression of Inuyasha when he was wounded. He folded his arms across his chest and his lower lip stuck out in distaste to the attention to his wound. He said, “Feh, I'll be fine.” Kagome felt tears swim in her eyes.

The old sorcerer stood not far away, watching his daughter work. He harrumphed every so often before his blue eyes would rest on Kagome. She knew he wanted to talk to her about the confession she had made in the grove. Every so often he would open then shut his mouth as if he couldn't find the words.

Polgara glanced over her shoulder, her eyes like steel. “If you're not going to do something productive, Old Wolf, I suggest you find something else to do. You're just making Kagome nervous and she's already got enough worries. Shoo.”

Belgarath winced. He straightened himself up, finally asking, “Kagome, what exactly did you mean about traveling five hundred years into the past?”

Kagome sighed, looking back towards Shippo. She didn't want to answer any questions until Inuyasha was at her side. She felt bad for having sat him but he was so angry and she feared what he might do to the old man and the others if the issue was pressed. Before she could answer, Polgara whirled on her feet. She said, her voice like acid, “Out, Old Wolf. You will get your answers later. Either you leave or I will create a reason for you to be here.” The insinuation in her voice at what she might do to the old man was not lost on either the old sorcerer or Kagome. Belgarath visibly winced.

Belgarath huffed. “Alright, Pol, have it your way, but I will get my answers.”

“Now, Old Wolf.” She glared at him, her arms crossed. Her eyes were like ice. Polgara looked formidable as she stared the old man down. “Out.” The old man exited, muttering to himself.

Kagome sighed, sitting down in a chair next to Shippo's. She took one of his small hands into her own. “Is he going to be alright?”

“He'll be fine, dear.” Her whole demeanor seemed to have changed. “Just a nasty hit to the head and a gash. He's a full demon, right? Won't that mean he'll heal rather quickly?”

Shippo strained to sit up and Polgara firmly placed a hand onto his chest. He said, “I'll be fine by morning.” Yep, he had been around Inuyasha for far too long, Kagome thought. His green eyes looked hazy as the nasty hit to his head still affected him. He squeezed Kagome's hand.

Kagome glanced again at the door, wondering why Inuyasha hadn't come to find her by now. He should have been near, either acting over protective or wanting to continue their fight. She had only sat him once, but she knew Inuyasha had been furious with her. She couldn't remember a time when he had looked nearly as angry as at that moment. She sighed, squeezing Shippo's hand again.

Polgara sat down when Shippo fell into a restless doze. She picked up a thread and needle, pulling a torn tunic into her lap to mend. She said, “That salve should keep him from being infected.” She bit the thread, preparing it.

Kagome fidgeted in her seat. Time ticked by and she grew worried as to where Inuyasha could be. She brushed some hair out of Shippo's face. He looked so frail asleep there. She kept her eyes locked on him, not wanting to see Polgara's penetrating gaze. She could feel it boring into her, even though the sorceress was busy mending.

Polgara's voice cut into her thoughts, “Kagome, may I ask you a question?”

Kagome lifted her eyes up. “Yes.”

“Why didn't you tell us sooner about your true era of origin? We wouldn't hurt you.” Her expression was stern even if her voice was kind. Her blue eyes were still like steel.

Kagome sighed. She still didn't want to talk about any of this until Inuyasha was close by. She clasped her hands into her lap, looking back towards Shippo. “Well, my time isn't like Inuyasha's. We don't really have anything like him or his brother. If Naraku were to find out, he might go to my time and kill a lot of people.” She looked down at her hands. Kagome felt slightly ashamed for hiding her secret in the first place. These people hadn't done anything but help them and she had gone out of her way to hide something. Then again, she knew that she had no choice. The less people who knew of her true era the better.

Polgara said, “I see, dear. I wouldn't worry too much about it. The Old Wolf will do what he can to keep Naraku from wreaking more havoc than he already is.”

The door opened slightly and Sesshomaru peered around the frame. He stepped in quietly. He harrumphed apparently not finding what he was after. Kagome asked, “Have you seen Inuyasha?”

Sesshomaru shook his head no. His eyes were fierce. Something was displeasing him. He glanced over towards Shippo and tilted his head towards him. Sesshomarus said, “I shall find Inuyasha and send him this way.” He turned around, crossing towards the door. “Tell the young kit to next time be more careful in a battle against mortals.” Then he was gone.

Polgara shook her head as Sesshomaru disappeared. She turned her attentions back towards Shippo, placing a wet cloth onto the boy's forehead. “Why is it always the head? Little boys seem to always find a way to get hit in the head. It's never the leg or the arm. Always the head.” She sighed audibly, sitting back down into the chair to continue mending the tunic.

Kagome giggled quietly. “I don't know. I couldn't tell you.” She looked out the window into the dark village. She glanced again towards the door, wondering just where Inuyasha could be. What had Sesshomaru wanted with him? She crossed her arms, tapping a foot impatiently. It just wasn't like Inuyasha to be apart from her this long, especially when he felt she was threatened in some way.

Polgara brought her back to the room when she handed her a torn cloak. “Here, occupy yourself. You'll only drive yourself insane if you sit there worrying.” She handed her some thread and a needle.

Kagome nodded, picking up the items. She set the cloak in her lap, following Polgara's example. She set out to make her stitches, hoping that it would get her mind off Inuyasha's whereabouts. Kagome noticed that hers were not nearly as tight or neat as the sorceress had made. She sighed in frustration, ripping out some her stitches before starting over. A hand rested on hers and Polgara said, “Just be patient with it. You don't have to rush through it.”

Kagome laughed nervously. “I'm just tense, I guess.” She set out to repair the hole in the gray cloak in her lap.

“Well, sewing always relaxes me and keeps me busy.” The sorceress smiled wide. “I know the Old Wolf thinks its a waste of time considering our talents, but I find it soothing to be doing something with my hands.” She set aside one tunic for another, preparing more thread to sew that one back together as well.

Kagome nodded, slowly taking the needle in and out of the fabric as she tried to imitate the tight stitching Polgara had done. She found that as she worked the tension started to ebb slightly. Shippo was resting comfortably. She still pondered as to where Inuyasha could possibly be. Polgara had been right, it was soothing to be doing something with her hands other than twiddling her thumbs.

A soft knock reached the two women's ears and Polgara set her sewing down, opening it. Miroku and Sango stood on the other side. Miroku asked, “And how is our little patient doing?”

Shippo turned over in his sleep. The wash cloth Polgara had placed onto his wound slid off and revealed that the gash in his forehead was nearly gone. He stretched before opening his green eyes. “I'm fine.”

Sango hid a small smile behind her hand. She said, “You were very brave out there, Shippo.”

Miroku nodded his agreement, “Yes, yes you were.” He looked around the room. “Where is Inuyasha? I would have thought he'd be with you, Kagome.”

Kagome looked down at the cloak she was carefully mending. She glanced up towards Miroku. “Sesshomaru said he'd send him this way if he saw him.”

The monk and demon slayer exchanged a couple glances before Miroku nodded. “I see. Well, I suppose we best be on our way.” He yawned, stretching his arms before one hand mysteriously found its way towards Sango's bottom. He quickly pulled it back as Sango raised a fist to strike him. “Take care, Shippo. If we see Inuyasha we'll tell him you wish to see him, Kagome.” He smiled wickedly before turning to exit.

Sango clenched her hands into fists. “Lecher!” She stomped not far behind him.

Polgara's expression was bemused. She had a small smile on her lips and she shook her head slightly. “Ah, to be young again.” She set out to take up her sewing again, this time a small dress. She said, “I do hope that I've gotten Rin's size right. I think it's about time she has a few other outfits.” It was a plain brown dress that still had to have the seams sewn shut and sleeves attached.

Kagome nodded. “I'm sure it'll fit her.” She concentrated on the cloak again, threading her needle a bit faster as she felt herself get the hang of sewing itself. As more time passed without Inuyasha, the worry settled into the pit of her stomach, but having her hands occupied kept her mind from being frantic. Kagome saw Shippo watch the two of them working, a pout on his features. Apparently he thought because he had been injured he should have been receiving all their attention.

Without looking up, Polgara said, her voice stern, “Dear, don't pout. It won't make your wounds heal any faster and it makes you look rather silly.”

Kagome stifled a laugh at the wide eyed expression that crossed Shippo's features. He looked astonished that the woman knew he had been pouting. He huffed before turning his back on the pair, arms crossed firmly across his chest. Kagome shook her head. It was plainly obvious that the young kit had been with her hanyou for far too long. He was developing some of Inuyasha's bad habits. Kagome bit the thread as she finished the cloak. Polgara wordlessly handed her a pair of worn socks and Kagome set to work on them.

She looked over, noticing that the dress Polgara made for Rin was coming along nicely. It was plain yet the way the woman had designed the travel dress made it seem elegant on some level. Kagome set to mending the socks in front of her, casting another glance towards the door. As many times as someone had come through the door, the one person she was waiting for still hadn't arrived. She sighed, focusing on her work.

The door flew open without warning and Inuyasha stumbled in. He looked worn and tired, dark circles under his eyes. He was clean, though. His ears were down when he looked at her and then towards Shippo. Joining her, he placed an arm around her shoulders. Looking down at Shippo, he gruffly said, “You did good out there, brat.” This caused Shippo to puff up and smile wide.

Polgara said, “Why don't you two go get some rest. Shippo just needs to sleep now.” She smiled at them.

“Okay. Thank-you, Lady Polgara.”

Kagome followed Inuyasha into the hallway down to their room. She felt him pull her close to himself as they walked. Something was bothering him and the way he looked so tired disturbed her. They reached their room and entered. Inuyasha pulled her into a tight embrace, holding her to his chest. He rested his head onto hers, a clawed hand threading through her hair. She hugged him back, certain now that something had upset her mate. He didn't act like this often, not unless something serious had happened. She whispered, “What's wrong, Inuyasha?”

Inuyasha made a low rumble in his throat. He pulled her tighter, nuzzling her hair. His breathing was ragged. Pulling away from her, he sat down onto the bed. His eyes were cast down to the floor, as if he was guilty. His ears were drooped in defeat and his mouth was drawn into a tight frown. Kagome's eyes went wide. Inuyasha only acted this way after he had seen Kikyo. He said, “I'm sorry.”

Kagome sat down next to him. “Inuyasha, for what?”

He looked up and Kagome felt pain pierce her. His gold eyes were full of such pain and self-contempt. He gently placed a hand onto her cheek before leaning in and brushing his lips against hers. Inuyasha pulled away, resting his hands into his lap. He said, “I acted like a baka tonight.” He turned away from her.

“What do you mean? You were just trying to protect me, Inuyasha. I don't understand why you're sorry.” She placed a hand onto his shoulder. Inuyasha flinched, standing up. He hadn't acted like this with her in a long time. “Is this about---Kikyo?”

Inuyasha whirled around, staring at her with his mouth open. “Kikyo?” Realization swept over him and he shook his head. “No. This has nothing to do with Kikyo.” He sat back down, kissing her again. He leaned her back onto the bed, resting between her legs as he explored her mouth. His tongue pushed deeper inside, thrusting. He rested his hand on her neck, his thumb rubbing a gentle circle.

When they broke for air, Kagome asked, “What's wrong, Inuyasha? What is bothering you?”

Inuyasha rested his forehead on hers. He closed his eyes, taking a deep breath. He looked so lost. It was as if Inuyasha was drowning. Kagome reached up, running a hand on his cheek. She moved to an ear, gently rubbing it. He moaned softly, moving to nuzzle her neck with his nose. His tongue lapped out at her mark before circling it. His hand moved to untie the string at her bodice and he nestled his nose between her breasts. He breathed, “Mine. Mate.” He rested on her chest, his cheek on her bosom. Inuyasha trailed a hand down her side, finding a hand and interlocking their fingers.

He still hadn't told her what was wrong and she was about to ask when Kagome felt Inuyasha become rigid above her. His hand squeezed hers with such force that she was afraid it might break. He let go, clutching the bed. What was happening to her mate? She wondered what might be going through his mind and what might be bothering him when Inuyasha lifted up, looking at her. His eyes were full of fury and hatred. What was going on? He snarled, pulling on the string that held the jewel shards. Kagome flinched, unsure of what had come over him. He narrowed his eyes. “Where is the rest of it, bitch?” He held up the bottle of shards, looking at it with anger.

Kagome asked, “What has come over you, Inuyasha? You know we're gathering the shards.” She felt so helpless, knowing Inuyasha had all the power as he rested atop her. She couldn't sit him as long as they were in this position.

Inuyasha sneered at her, fitting a hand around her throat. He flicked a claw, drawing blood. “Stupid bitch. So much for saying sit, huh?” Inuyasha pushed his claw in deeper before lifting it to his lips. He licked it clean. “You taste good.” His voice was laced with contempt. Inuyasha leaned down, running his rough tongue across her cheek before sucking more of her blood into his mouth. He whispered into her ear, “This is what you get for betraying me, wench. You're going to pay.”

Inuyasha lifted up, his eyes wild. He put his hand back to her throat squeezing. Kagome gasped, thrashing underneath him. What was going on. What did he mean that she had betrayed him? Inuyasha fit his other hand around her throat, squeezing. His lip pulled back into a sneer, revealing his fangs. Her eyes went wide as she felt him attempt to crush her wind pipe. He growled at her, his ears pinned tightly to his head. Inuyasha's eyes intensified in rage and started to bleed red.

Kagome clawed at his wrists. He was hurting her and she couldn't stop him. Who would protect her from her protector? She made a few gurgling noises as he squeezed her throat tighter. He flicked his tongue out at her, licking an ear. He hissed, “You'll pay for taking my right from me. You stand in my way of becoming a full demon.”

Kagome's eyes went wide. She couldn't believe the words that were coming out of his mouth. She couldn't believe the pain he was causing her as she lost more air. The room swam before her vision and Inuyasha's enraged face blurred. She felt her arms drop from his, unable to fight anymore. The last thing she remembered before darkness claimed her was Sesshomaru's face next to Inuyasha's.