Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Forty ( Chapter 40 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Forty

Sesshomaru stood outside in the hallway, blocking the door to the room Inuyasha and Kagome were sharing. He clenched his teeth and narrowed his eyes at anyone who approached. Anger flooded through him as he thought of what he had witnessed and his hand crushed itself into a fist. Sesshomaru had never seen his brother so broken. It was an experience he hoped to never repeat. He had not intended to provide comfort at first, but as soon as he had touched his brother's ear and Inuyasha had howled, something inside he couldn't explain had begged it of him. Sesshomaru couldn't even explain why he had touched his brother's head and ear in the first place, except that he had comforted Rin much the same way so often in the past that it had become a habit. It had taken all of his concentration to not tear the room to shreds when Inuyasha had begged for death. Sesshomaru had made the soft rumbling sound to keep the rage within from escaping as much as to soothe his brother's tortured mind.

He turned his gaze on the couple before him, daring them to demand entrance to the room. The monk and demon slayer stood, their eyes locked on him as they pleaded silently with him. It was the monk who first broke the silence. “Sesshomaru-sama, we are only concerned about our friends. May we only see them a few moments to make sure that they are alright?”

Sesshomaru remained still, blocking the door. He snorted. He had a funny feeling it would be quite some time before Inuyasha was alright again. The manipulation of his brother's mind and memories made the Demon Lord furious. It had provided his brother with no chance to defend himself. It had been done only to produce those using Inuyasha's own memories against him with some form of sick amusement that Sesshomaru was unable to understand. These actions were the actions of cowards, unwilling to face an opponent in the open and with honor.

Turning his attention back to the pair, he said, “It is of no concern of yours. Return to your rooms.”

The demon slayer stood defiant. “Kagome's my friend. She's like a sister to me. Is she alright? We just want to see if both Inuyasha and Kagome are alright.”

Sesshomaru narrowed his eyes as he turned his gaze completely on the demon slayer. He said, “All you need to know is that they need their privacy. Return to your rooms.” His voice was cold and tightly controlled so not to betray the awful anger building within.

The way his brother had collapsed in upon himself and howled in agony after realizing what he had done flashed before Sesshomaru's vision. Inuyasha's wails of utter anguish assaulted him again and he clenched his teeth further to resist reacting. Sesshomaru was certain of one thing and one thing alone: the parties responsible for his brother's suffering would face his wrath. His brother's inferiority complexes had disturbed the Demon Lord quite enough. The absolute pain and suffering Inuyasha experienced on account of the mind tampering made Sesshomaru's earlier efforts to discourage such thinking seem an act in futility. This only fueled his anger at what had been done to Inuyasha.

It had been awful enough to see Inuyasha berate himself for his own heritage. The way he despised his very existence because of what he was had upset Sesshomaru plenty. He knew that he had played a role in forming that very opinion that Inuyasha held, but it unnerved him how much his brother targeted his demon blood as the source of his taint. This led Sesshomaru to believe that this opinion had been more enforced by the humans Inuyasha had encountered and less from the insults he had himself slung towards his half-brother.

Sesshomaru had known the entire time that the monk had been present, overhearing the altercation between them. At the time, Sesshomaru had found it more of a concern to handle his brother's troubling inferiority complex than to punish the human for his transgressions. A small smile tinged his lips as he thought about what the monk had ferreted out so well from his eavesdropping: Inuyasha was a member of his pack. And as such, that meant that any threat to the pack had to be destroyed. That meant he had to find out who ever had manipulated his brother's mind. The petty eavesdropping of the monk was something he would let slide for now.

The monk cleared his throat, gaining the attention of the Demon Lord. He said, “We're only concerned. It has come to our attention that Inuyasha had some awful nightmares that might not be natural. In fact, Sesshomaru-sama, we believe Naraku might be behind them. All we ask is to see if our friends are alright.”

Sesshomaru drew his mouth into a tight line before glaring. He said, “No. Return to your room. Do not make this Sesshomaru repeat himself.” He was growing irritated with the humans' insistence on seeing how his brother and the miko were doing. They needed their privacy and it was not anyone's place to disturb them for any circumstance. While they may care for Inuyasha and Kagome, it frustrated him that they could not wait. As he stood, he processed what the monk had said. “Monk, did you say Naraku might be behind these nightmares?”

He nodded. “Yes. Although I don't think he did this alone. It's the only explanation that makes sense. Who else would relish in using Inuyasha's own memories against him? Sango and I fear for Kagome's safety on account of these nightmares. We only ask to see them momentarily, Sesshomaru-sama, to see that they are alright.”

Sesshomaru pursed his lips. The monk was inquisitive and quicker than he had originally thought. He might not be far off the mark on who had caused his brother's mental torture. If that was the case, it was certainly a new low for Naraku. He had not been below playing mental games in the past, but to actually infect another's mind as he had done his brother disturbed him. It meant that any of them might face a similar experience. “And you say he had help? Could it be these Grolims the sorceress mentioned?”

“Yes. Garion had similar nightmares and Lady Polgara said that he had let Grolims tamper with his mind. She touched his palm to her hair. I don't know how it fixed anything, but it must have done something.” The monk rubbed his chin with his hand. “It led us to believe that Inuyasha was going through the same thing.”

Sesshomaru curtly nodded. “I see.” He thought about the way his brother had looked as the sorceress had done much the same thing that the monk had described. His brother's eyes had gone from the red of his full-demon state to the gold of his hanyou. The rage that had marred his face had melted into an odd peace and the sneer had faded into a small smile. It was as if his entire demeanor had changed. What ever the sorceress had done in touching Inuyasha's palm to her hair had done something. It obviously had severed what ever control these Grolims had. “Might you know where she is now?”

The slayer crossed her arms, glaring at him. It was the first time Sesshomaru could recall the demon slayer becoming brave enough to show any anger towards him. She stomped her foot. “We still haven't seen if Inuyasha and Kagome are alright.”

Sesshomaru narrowed his eyes. He glared at her. “Know that they are alright. You shall see them when they are ready. Not before.” He watched as the monk leaned in towards the demon slayer, whispering something. She huffed and glared in his direction before stomping away.

The monk sighed. “I apologize, Sesshomaru-sama. Sango is just concerned, as am I.”

Sesshomaru snorted his reply. The privacy between a mated couple was not to be breached for any reason. It should have been apparent to them that this was the case. Their insistence upon seeing Inuyasha and Kagome grated on his already frayed nerves. Why could they not wait until one or the other exited the room or asked for their company? It should have been sufficient enough for them that he had said that they were alright. He stated, his voice low, “You have not answered my question, monk.”

“Ah, yes. Lady Polgara, last I saw her, was on her way to speak with Belgarath. You might try there.” He fingered the beads around his Wind Tunnel. “If you like, I'll keep watch on the door and keep anyone from disturbing Inuyasha and Kagome. If you say that they are alright, Sesshomaru-sama, I will take your word for it.”

Sesshomaru arched an eyebrow in his direction. The monk had eavesdropped on his conversation with Inuyasha. What would lead him to believe that he wouldn't do the same for Inuyasha and Kagome? He bit one fang into his lip as he tried to decide if this would be acceptable. As angry as he was for what had happened to Inuyasha, he also knew they had to understand it so to prevent it from reoccurring. That would mean finding the sorceress and demanding answers, something he couldn't do as long as he stood guarding the door.

Sesshomaru was certain of one thing, he had no intention of seeing his brother again in the condition he had been in upon his exit to the hall. He relinquished his guard position in front of the door, stating, “I will allow this. But know this, monk, if you shall eavesdrop on their private conversation as you have done with Inuyasha and myself, I shall not be so lenient with you. They are not to be disturbed under any circumstances. Do you understand?”

The monk nodded before bowing slightly. “Yes, Sesshomaru-sama. They shall not be bothered. You have my word.”

Sesshomaru's eyes narrowed as he stepped from the front of the door. “I had better.”

“Trust me.”

At this statement, Sesshomaru couldn't help but feel the tendril of unease curl in the pit of his stomach. Why did he get the feeling he had just made a severe error in judgment? He watched as the monk took his former place, facing the hall. Sesshomaru had the sinking feeling that as soon as he turned his back the monk would have his ear to the door, listening in. Sesshomaru shook his head, making his way towards the scents of the sorceress and her father. He hoped that he had made the right choice leaving the nefarious monk at guard in front of his brother's room. If not, he was certain that Inuyasha would handle him. A small smile crossed his face. Perhaps it would bring some normalcy back to his little brother.

He stopped as he heard the sorceress speak. “Father, you do realize that we must get a move on. The morning is already half over and we have an important appointment at sundown. What if we don't make it? What if we don't complete the task?”

What appointment? What task? What was she talking about? Sesshomaru heard the old man sigh. “Pol, why do you always start with the what ifs when anything happens? You know it irritates me and gets us no where. Yes, I know we have an appointment at sundown. I have a funny feeling that we won't have any trouble making it, either.”

Sesshomaru stepped close to the door, preparing to make his presence known. He did not approve of eavesdropping, as he had pointed out to the monk. However the next statement of the sorceress made him stop. “Father, those Grolims know about Rin. They can sense just as much as we can that she's bursting at the seams. I'm surprised she hasn't exercised it yet. That's why they targeted Inuyasha and Garion. They know I've had a shield on her since before we got off the ship at Mal Gemila.”

Sesshomaru's eyes went wide. Their target had been Rin all along? Anger flooded into his body as he thought about it. So what his brother had endured was because they couldn't get their real target. Sesshomaru was thankful that Rin had not been subjected to much the same treatment, but he could still hear his brother's agonized voice whisper to him, begging him for his execution. Either way, these Grolims would pay. The vile behavior of these Grolims disgusted him. As it was he was already vexed with them. The fact that they had intended to infect Rin's mind with a similar tactic only caused this fury to increase.

Before he could enter again, he heard her continue, “How can you be so assured that we'll make our appointment on time? Father, we can't dawdle.”

The old man said, “Simple. I have a funny feeling it'll meet us halfway. Trust me, Pol. We'll make it in time.”

“Why do I even bother talking to you, Old Wolf.” She threw her hands up in the air. “You're so infuriating about this whole thing.”

Sesshomaru took this opportunity to enter the doorway. He would not lower himself with such petty behavior. He asked, “Woman, what exactly did these Grolims do to my brother?”

The sorceress looked up at him, her steel eyes becoming violet. She asked, “How is Inuyasha?”

“He is with his mate.” He cast his eyes around the room, noticing that the old man lounged in a chair with his feet up on the table. Sesshomaru hadn't noticed before, but the man's boots didn't even match. His long sleeved, brown tunic was stained and patched in several places. Belgarath's expression contrasted the dowdy nature of his clothes. It was serious and stern. Turning his attention back towards the sorceress, Sesshomaru stated, “You have not answered my question. What did these Grolims do to Inuyasha?”

Polgara sighed. “It's an old Grolim tactic. Usually they will enter another's mind and make a connection with them. From there, they'll decide what they want to do with it. In this case, they decided to bring to the surface a lot of painful memories for both Inuyasha and Garion and then warp them. Our Grolim was attempting to make it look less suspicious that someone was having nightmares but it only made things worse.” She picked up an unfinished brown dress, flashing her needle through the fabric. “Once the dreams were brought out, they could then change them, make them what ever they wished, and upon waking take control of the mind.”

“I see. So they used my brother's own memories against himself. For what purpose?”

“I assume a delay tactic. I am curious, however, why he was targeted.” Polgara bit the thread. “It seems odd that out of your group he would be the only one targeted. Unless these Grolims were working with Naraku, which is possible, I suppose.” She adjusted the skirt on the dress she was sewing. “How is Kagome?”

Sesshomaru sat down into an empty chair, keeping his gaze locked on the woman. He was not going to mention that he had overheard her say something about Rin. It concerned him that these Grolims had targeted her, but he wasn't sure if he could entirely trust the sorceress, either. The fact that she had done something with the little girl without consulting him bothered the Demon Lord. Sesshomaru said, “If it was Naraku, it is because he enjoys torturing Inuyasha.” He paused. “Kagome is with her mate. When I left she was awake.”

“Good, good. We're just lucky our Grolims weren't as skilled as they could have been. It could have been a lot worse, especially if they had drawn it out rather than making it explode in one night. Mind tampering can be tricky if done incorrectly. One false move and the control can be severed quite easily.” She held up the dress, examining the seam she had sewn. Satisfied, she continued sewing on another side.

The old sorcerer said, “We will be leaving within the hour. I suggest you get ready. We must not stay for too much longer. Ashaba is quite a bit aways from here and we must make it there before the end of next month.” He stood, brushing his tunic off and tying the odd rope around his waist tighter.

Polgara nodded. “Alright, father. We'll pack up and get ready to move.” She set aside the dress and brushed off her own. “Is there any other questions you have, Sesshomaru, dear?”

He cringed inwardly at the endearment added after his name, but remained silent. He asked, “What did you do to my brother to sever this manipulation?”

Polgara started to prepare her items for packing. “I showed him the Tree while I traced the Grolims. It seemed natural to show him that as he seems connected to trees. Once I found the Grolims, I severed their connection and control. Showing Inuyasha the Tree allowed me to clear everything away and start the reversal of their mind tampering.”

“Tree?” Sesshomaru wondered what tree she had meant.

“The Tree in the Vale. It's the oldest thing alive in the world and was the first thing I thought of to show him.” Polgara smiled a little. “There seemed to be another tree from where you are from, one he was very familiar with.”

“Goshinboko. He was sealed to it for fifty years.” Sesshomaru stated plainly.

“Ah. That must be it.” She finished packing her own items. “I suppose we should start preparing to leave.”

Sesshomaru looked over the pair. He tilted his head in acknowledgment before standing. He made his way out into the hallway. Sesshomaru continued, finding Rin waiting for him outside their door. She was looking down at the floor, fingering the fabric of her brown smock absentmindedly. As he approached, she looked up and smiled brightly at him. “Sesshomaru-sama! There you are.” She ran to him, her bare feet slapping the floor. She hugged him tight. “I woke and you weren't there.”

Sesshomaru let a small smile cross his lips. He placed his hand on her hair, gently rubbing his thumb in a circle. He wrapped his arm around her shoulders, pulling her close. Sesshomaru said in a low voice, “Rin.”

“Yes, Sesshomaru-sama?” She looked up at him, her brown eyes smiling.

“Prepare to leave.”

“Okay.” She turned back into the room and Sesshomaru followed. She neatly packed the items she had used and set the saddle bags by the door. Rin pulled on the tiny leather shoes he had made for her, making sure they snuggly fit her feet. Much like his brother, Rin usually preferred to be bare foot, but he had insisted that she not cut her feet needlessly on the ground that they traveled and she had given in to his demand. Her shoes were modeled much on his own, only brown instead.

Sesshomaru turned to the corner he had placed his own belongings and picked up his armor, strapping it back onto his chest carefully with his arm. He sat back down onto the bed so better to balance himself as he tugged on the ties to twist them into a knot with his fingers. Rin joined him, helping wordlessly tie the strings with her small, nimble fingers. Sesshomaru let his hand fall to his side, allowing the girl to help him. He knew he should have refused, as he was fully capable of placing the plate on his chest, but she worked so much faster and tied the knots just a bit tighter. And, although he wouldn't admit it aloud, it felt pleasant to have her aid him. She lifted his hair out of the way as she tethered the armor around his back, making sure that it fit snuggly. Rin smiled at him before kissing his cheek. “There, all better now, Sesshomaru-sama.”

Sesshomaru placed his hand onto her cheek. He let a small smile cross his lips momentarily before standing. He placed his swords at his hip. “Rin, let us leave.”

Rin picked up the saddle bags and slung one over her shoulder. She slipped her free hand into his and followed him out of the room. She asked, “Where did you go, Sesshomaru-sama?”

“I had matters to attend to.” Sesshomaru was surprised that the child hadn't heard the howls of his brother. Then again, he had noticed in the past after she had nightmares once she fell back to sleep she tended to sleep heavily. He gently squeezed her hand as they exited into the mid-morning air. They would have to wait for the rest to join them and continue on their journey. For now he would cherish some time in silence with his Rin.

Rin leaned her head onto his side. “Okay, Sesshomaru-sama.”


Miroku watched as Sesshomaru gracefully made his way down the hallway. He waited until the Demon Lord was out of sight and then placed his ear to the door. Miroku knew he could be asking for Sesshomaru's wrath for eavesdropping, but he had to know if his friends were alright. After the awful cries and howls that could have been heard from the room, both he and Sango had been terribly concerned about the welfare of both Inuyasha and Kagome. It was obvious that the terrible gut wrenching sounds had come from Inuyasha. This only made them more nervous as to what had happened to Kagome.

Sango stood not far away, pacing. She had her thumb up to her lips, biting the nail nervously. “Well, monk, can you hear anything?” She had set her reservations aside at eavesdropping after the sounds had come from within the room. Now that Sesshomaru was no longer guarding the door, they both needed to know if their friends were alright. The Demon Lord may have attempted to assure them, but seeing, or in their case, hearing it for themselves would be the only thing to satisfy them.

Miroku waved his hand at her, trying to get his concentration in focus. He adjusted his head several times on the door, trying to pick up any sounds from within. Finally, he heard Inuyasha's gruff baritone. “Kagome, put that down and just get over here already.” His voice sounded as if he was pleading with the miko.

Kagome responded, “Alright, my impatient hanyou.”

Miroku knew he should have stopped listening as soon as he heard both their voices and that they were alright. After all, it had been what had led him and Sango to the door that Sesshomaru had refused them entrance to. But curiosity got the best of him and he continued to listen in on their conversation. Inuyasha's voice became husky as he said, “You know, I still need to punish you for those shoes.”

“If you would have just wore them I wouldn't have had to subdue you so much, you know.” Her voice was playful, unlike the beginning of one of their famous fights. It was fairly obvious to Miroku that things were not so drastic as they had been but perhaps a short half an hour ago.

A brief moment of silence reached Miroku's ears followed by a soft moan from Kagome. Inuyasha replied, “Shoes hurt my feet, you know. It's not just my hands that have claws.” Another soft gasp reached the monk's ears and he smiled slightly. It seemed the two were much better than he and Sango had expected. “Your damn shoes pinch my claws into my toes and that hurts.”

Kagome's breathless voice asked, “Really? Why didn't you just tell me that instead of swearing?”

Inuyasha's voice became throaty as he replied in a low tone, “Maybe because I liked where things were going? After all, weren't you straddling my naked ass?”

“Hentai hanyou.” Her voice was raspy.

Miroku waved off Sango as he continued to listen. She hissed at him, “Well, are they alright or what?” Miroku's only answer was a wide grin. He pressed his ear closer to the door, trying to hear what was going to happen next. Sango glared at him. “Lecher, don't listen in on that. Perhaps Sesshomaru knew what he was doing when he wouldn't let us in. Even he knows you're a pervert.”

He glared at her. Miroku held a finger up to his lips as he listened. He caught another groan, this time coming from Inuyasha and he smirked to himself. Inuyasha rasped through shortened breaths, “Damn straight, wench.” A few more moans reached the monk's ears followed by soft mewls.

Sango smacked him in the head, causing him to knock against the door. He grunted. “What was that for, Sango?”

“You're listening in on that.” She emphasized the word that, making it sound dirty. “It's rude.”

Miroku hadn't moved from his position at the door. It opened and he fell in a heap in the doorway. Looking up, he saw a half-naked Inuyasha, his expression irate. The hanyou snarled at him, “Fucking monk, what the hell are you doing listening at our door?”

Kagome joined the half-demon, wearing Inuyasha's haori. She finished tying it around herself before she turned and glared at the monk as well. “Sango, what is he doing here?”

Miroku backpedaled away from Inuyasha into the hallway. He stood, placing his hand onto the back of his neck. “We were just concerned about your welfare. We wanted to make sure that you're alright, nothing more, honestly.”

“Yeah fucking right. Give me one good reason why I shouldn't shove that staff of yours so far up your ass it comes out your mouth.” Inuyasha advanced on him, his knuckles cracking.

Kagome sighed. “I know he doesn't deserve this. Inuyasha, sit!” She stomped past the prostrate half-demon, glaring at the monk. “Next time I'll let him do it.” Miroku gulped. As bad as an angry Inuyasha was, Kagome was far worse. She glared up at him, her gold speckled eyes narrowed in fury. “Just what were you doing, anyways? Can't we have some privacy? What's the matter with you?”

Sango pulled on the monk's hand. “He was just doing what he's been doing all night. He's eavesdropped on just about everyone tonight, it seems.”

Miroku glared at the demon slayer, feeling his ego bruise. He, however, took this opportunity to squeeze her hand back. It had startled him to have her touch, but he wasn't about to point it out to her. He'd enjoy it for as long as she would allow. Miroku said, “Now, now, I only did what I did because I was concerned for two of my good friends. No need to make it sound like I was up to no good.”

Inuyasha stood, pulling Kagome flush against his bare chest. He glared at the monk. “Figures he'd say something like that.”

Miroku laughed nervously. “It's not what you think, honestly! We heard that you had some terrible nightmares and we were concerned for your safety, Inuyasha. It's the truth.” He looked towards the half-demon, noticing that his ears drooped and his mouth had drawn itself into a tight frown. Miroku looked towards Kagome, noting the purpled bruises on her neck and knew that something had to have happened between the pair. He wisely decided not to mention the anguished cries.

Sango asked, “What happened, Kagome?” She stepped closer to the pair, looking at the bruises. Inuyasha growled, pulling Kagome closer, his golden eyes defensive. It was most certainly not the question to ask as apparent from the way the half-demon behaved. Miroku had a sinking feeling the bruises had been caused by Inuyasha while under the control of the strange Grolims. It explained the terrible howls and sobs that had come from the room awhile ago. He placed his hand onto Sango's shoulder, trying to wordlessly tell her not to press the matter. Sango tensed under his touch but she didn't continue her questioning.

Kagome answered, “They'll heal.” She leaned her head onto Inuyasha's shoulder, gripping her arms around his. It was as if she was trying to keep the hanyou from bolting. “We're alright, as you can see.”

Sango nodded, backing away from the pair. Miroku cleared his throat. “We're sorry we disturbed you.”

“Save it.” Inuyasha's gruff voice lacked its typical bite. His eyes cast around the hallway. “Where did my jackass brother go? He was standing outside this door last I knew.”

“He went off to talk with Lady Polgara about what happened. I told him I would stand by the door and keep anyone from entering your room.” Miroku looked down at the floor.

Inuyasha huffed. “Sesshomaru was foolish enough to trust you?” He didn't relinquish his hold on Kagome.

Miroku felt his pride bruise at the comment. He glared at the half-demon. “Very funny.”

The monk noticed that Kagome tensed up in Inuyasha's grasp. Inuyasha in turn tensed with her, wrapping his arms around her further. She whispered, “That shard, it's closer now.”

“How close?” Inuyasha whispered in her ear. His expression became concerned and wary. Inuyasha's ears rose on his head to full alert, twitching. Although Kagome hadn't said anything about the shard's location as of yet, he seemed ready to spring into action at any second.

“Half a day.” Kagome pulled out of Inuyasha's arms, giving him a kiss on the cheek. “I think we better start packing. Who knows how soon we'll come across it.” She disappeared back into the room, closing the door behind her.

Miroku cleared his throat. It stopped the half-demon from entering the room behind Kagome. He turned, looking at him, arms crossed in impatience. “Inuyasha, there's more.”

“More what?” Inuyasha tapped his foot.

“Well, earlier, we found out that there is some appointment we have to make by sundown tonight.” Miroku fingered the beads on his Wind Tunnel. The mention of this strange appointment had perplexed him as well. It had been a cryptic statement for the sorceress.

“Appointment? What the fuck are you talking about?” Inuyasha flattened his ears to his head. “I don't understand.”

Sango said, “We don't, either. All I know is that Lady Polgara mentioned something about an important appointment we have to make. She said that what happened was a delay tactic to keep us from making it. I didn't really understand what she was talking about, either.”

Miroku put a hand to his chin. He paced a little. He thought about what Kagome had just said about the shard only being a half day away. That would mean they would most likely find it by sundown. Could this be the appointment that the sorceress spoke of? Miroku asked aloud, more to himself than the others,“You don't think it has something to do with the shard Kagome mentioned?”

Inuyasha snorted, leaning against the door. “Maybe. So you're saying that who ever played mind games with me was trying to delay us?” He placed one bare foot against the door itself, tapping it. His expression was furious then confused. He whispered, as if he was talking to himself, “I still don't understand. What do they mean appointment? For what?”

“It baffles me, too.” Miroku stopped. “ I suppose we should do as Kagome said. I think we'll be leaving shortly, either way.”

Sango said, “I guess it's about all we can do. I'm glad both of you are alright.” She turned, making her way down the hall to start packing.

Inuyasha nodded. “Sounds like a plan. Maybe we'll actually get to do some real fighting for a change. It's so boring beating on humans. There's just no sport in it.” He turned towards the door. Inuyasha's hair hid his expression from the monk. “Besides, it's been awhile since we've had a real opponent. If it's this one with the shard, it'll even make it that more enjoyable.”

“I agree. See you down by the horses, then, Inuyasha?”

“Yeah, see you down by the horses.” He glanced over his shoulder, distaste evident on his features.

He turned, preparing to follow the same route that Sango had. Miroku was about to make his way towards the room he and Sango had been given when Inuyasha grabbed him by the collar of his robes. He stopped. “What is it, Inuyasha?”

Inuyasha leaned in, a wicked smile on his lips. He curled his lip back, revealing his fangs. Inuyasha said, “Monk, you ever listen at my door when I'm with my mate again I will make good on my promise, you understand?” The half-demon let go, turning his back on him.

Miroku smiled back at him, his hand on the back of his neck. “I hear you, Inuyasha.”

“Good.” He opened the door and disappeared.

Miroku shook his head making his way towards his room. He stopped in the doorway, watching as Sango stood, bent over packing some of the bathing supplies they had used. The gray dress fit well to her bottom, making it that much more appealing. He let a small smile cross his lips and his hand reached out to touch her when she stood, facing him. He quickly made his hand into a fist, casting his gaze away from her. To cover, Miroku said, “All finished packing?”

Sango crossed her arms, glaring at him. “You can't fool me, monk.” She lifted the saddle bag up. “I'm going to go by the horses. I'll meet you down there.”

Miroku sighed. As she tried to brush past him, he took her hand into his. “My dear Sango, you misunderstand me.”

Sango snorted, but did not pull her hand back. “Right.” Miroku let a small smile cross his lips. He stepped a bit closer and Sango took a step back. She looked at him with wary eyes. “Just what are you up to, now?”

“I'm not up to anything.” Miroku closed the distance between them. He slid the saddle bag onto his own shoulder. “I just thought I'd take this burden for you.” He flashed another smile at her. “Is that not the gentlemanly thing to do?”

“And since when do you want to be a gentleman, lecher.” Sango looked towards him, still not pulling her hand back. “What are you up to.”

“As I've said, nothing.” Miroku kept holding her hand. “Shall we go down to the horses, then? I'm sure we'll be expected down there soon.”

Sango snorted. “I still don't know what you're up to. I suppose, though, we should go down and get ready for the ride. Kirara, come along.” The fire cat jumped onto her shoulder, mewling softly. Sango rubbed the cat's had with her free hand.

Miroku shook his head. Slowly he slipped his arm around her waist and they made their way into the hallway. He couldn't help but notice that the slayer had yet to rebuke him for his actions. This only caused his smile to intensify. Once they exited out into the morning air, he let go reluctantly and turned to prepare his horse. He glanced in Sango's direction, noticing the confusion in her eyes. Perhaps if ignoring her hadn't worked maybe something else would.