Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Forty-Two ( Chapter 42 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Forty-Two

Rin stood helpless as she watched the dark haired sorceress tend to her lord. Tears welled up in her eyes and she bit her lip as she clenched her hands into tiny fists at her sides. Sesshomaru rested on the ground, limp. He looked lifeless, except for the slight rise and fall of his chest. His strong body looked fragile, something Rin wasn't used to seeing. Crimson coated his now bare thigh and spilled to clot in his beautiful silver hair. His expression was oddly serene, all except for the small blood trickle that crusted at the corner of his mouth. His markings stood out in stark contrast with his pallor face. Rin hadn't seen him like this since the first time she had come across him, resting against a tree.

Rin whispered, “I'm sorry, Sesshomaru-sama. I tried.”

The sorceress squeezed the water out of a rag, dabbing it at her lord's wound. She said, “Durnik, I'm going to have to set that bone of his. Get me more water so I can clean this blood out. Get more rags for me so I can put some pressure on it and cut off this blood loss.” Polgara scrubbed some more blood away from Sesshomaru's leg, lifting him up to move the mass of his hair out of her way. “Garion, cut some splints for me. Gather some blankets and set up a canopy over him.”

The plain faced man on the other side of Sesshomaru set down her lord's armor plate, the very same one she had helped strap on that morning. He looked at it forlornly, the battered metal in dire need of repair. As he left, Durnik muttered, “I can reshape it and make it stronger. All it'll take is a few good strikes in the middle. It's a pity that its in such rough shape now.” He went towards the rounded up horses, pulling a pack off of one before disappearing towards the tree line.

The blond man sitting not far away, stood. He said, “Yes, Aunt Pol.” He, too, went towards a horse, grabbing a pack before going to the trees. Garion selected an ax and started to cut one small tree down and chop it. He said, “Silk, can you get some of those blankets Aunt Pol asked for? Zakath, Barak put up a couple of the tents in a canopy. I'll give you some poles to put it up.”

Silk groaned, standing on wobbly legs. He staggered slightly and he grimaced. The little rat faced man pulled a pack off another horse and unwrapped some of the blankets before joining the group surrounding Sesshomaru as Polgara tended him. The little thief stretched one blanket out and smoothed it on the ground. “Alright, maybe we should lift him onto this so he's not getting so much dirt into the wound, Polgara.”

“Good idea.” The sorceress stood, wringing the now red stained rag out. She said, “Inuyasha, help us lift him onto that blanket.”

Inuyasha sat not far from Sesshomaru, a glower on his face. He looked apprehensive. Inuyasha grunted, standing up. He helped lift Sesshomaru by his feet, gently moving him onto the soft, brown blanket that the thief had stretched out. Once Sesshomaru was settled back down on it, Inuyasha took his brother's head into his lap, pulling hair from his face.

Polgara said, “Good idea, it'll keep him from thrashing too much when I set that leg.”

The red-haired man pulled two tents out from the packs. He shouted, “Zakath, take one and start to set it up.”

Zakath nodded, catching the rolled up tent. He set out to unrolling it and pulling the poles out, tossing them to the ground. The dark-haired man shoved one of the poles into the ground, preparing to make the tent into the makeshift canopy that would rise above Sesshomaru. “Barak, get the other side set up. Garion, you got that pole ready?”

“Yeah. Coming right up.” Garion brought the wooden pole he had cut over, slamming it into the ground to support the tents. It would have to do for a makeshift infirmary for the time being.

Barak dusted his hands off as he finished staking the last of the tents in place. He said, “Hettar, you sure you got all the horses back?”

Hettar nodded, his single black lock swishing. “They sure didn't like the demon but they all came back. Algar horses are smart.” He brushed off his leather. “Anything else need to be done?”

The juggler flipped on his hands, walking. “Fer a pretty boy he sure is tough, don't y' know. I guess what they say tis be true. You can't judge a book by its cover, that's fer sure. Tis a pity that demon that one with dog ears slew quite well happened to only be an itty bitty imp without that pretty jewel. What a beast that was fer sure. Makes me mighty glad I be in the storytellin' business an' not the savin' the world one.” He winked.

The old man sighed. He rolled his eyes in the direction of the storyteller. He paced. “Well, there's not much else to be done but set up camp and clean up. Mandorallen, do something useful and set up some tents and unpack.”

The knight stood, clapping his gauntleted fist to his armored chest. “I shall do as my ancient friend commands. Perchance after the tents have been struck into this ground and the bodies of our foul enemies disposed of, our fallen comrade will be well again to celebrate in the spoils of our victory.”

The old man pinched his nose. “Don't give a speech, Mandorallen, just set up camp.” The knight looked crest fallen before trudging to the horses. Belgarath tossed his hands into the air. “Arends!”

It seemed that everyone in the group was pulling together to care for Sesshomaru. Rin wanted to sit with Sesshomaru but was afraid she'd only get in the way. She wanted to throw herself on his chest and sob. It wouldn't help her lord any if she were to act on that impulse. He was injured because he had tried to save her. All she could do was wait for the sorceress to tend to his wounds and make him alright again.

Kagome joined the woman, tearing some worn garments into rags and dunking them in the buckets of water. She asked, “Lady Polgara, how bad do you think his bone is?”

“It's bad, shattered in about two places but once its set and the blood loss is handled he'll heal.” Polgara accepted one of the rags, saturating it with more of Sesshomaru's blood as the wound was cleaned out completely. “Dear, help start a fire so we can keep him warm.”

Kagome stood, heading into the trees to gather some tinder and firewood. She looked back over her shoulder once and Shippo rushed to join her in the task.

Ce'Nedra placed a hand on her red hair as she looked towards Sesshomaru, “I'll come help, Kagome. I can't stand to see that beautiful hair of his stained that way.” Tears were in the girl's green eyes as she quickly followed Kagome.

Miroku said, “Sango and I shall help. The sooner we get the fire going the better.” He followed the trio into the woods, the demon slayer not far behind. They quickly started to gather wood for the fire and Garion joined them to cut it up.

Rin watched, feeling as if she was the only one not doing something to help her lord. She felt the tears well up further in her eyes, blurring her vision slightly. Rin wondered if her lord's condition was partially her fault. He had been trying to save her when he had gotten this injured. Now all she could do was sit back and watch as the others scrambled to do something about it.

Rin looked back towards Sesshomaru, noticing that Inuyasha was glaring at her lord. Inuyasha muttered, “Come on, bastard, don't quit on me just yet. You've gotta pull through this so you can kick my ass for beating you in horse racing earlier today. I won more than you did, after all. Besides, that demon we fought, they said he wasn't much bigger than Jaken without that jewel shard. You gonna let someone the size of that damn toad of yours kick your ass?”

At this statement, Rin thought back to the battle. A great force had built inside her as she had watched Sesshomaru race to rescue her. She had seen the monstrous hand reach out towards her lord and as the energy had welled up inside of her only one thought had entered her mind. Rin had wished that her lord would be away from the beast. As she had cried Sesshomaru's name out, she had felt that vast power coil inside of her until she was certain that it would tear her apart and then it had flowed out of her in one rush. Rin had opened her eyes to be sitting by the she-wolf, a brief flicker showing Poledra sitting in the same space. Unsure of where her lord had gone or what had happened to him, Rin had thrown her arms around the wolf, sobbing. The she-wolf had kissed her cheek with her wet tongue and it had calmed her. Exhaustion claimed her tiny form after that.

Then she had seen her lord stumble towards her, dragging his shattered leg behind his battered body. Sesshomaru had looked so desperate and as soon as his red eyes had rested on her brown, they had flickered back to gold in relief. He had been unable to carry himself any further and promptly collapsed into the dirt, unconscious. Rin hadn't felt such fear as she had when she saw Sesshomaru fall wounded. It had been her fault. If she had only managed to release the strange power that had built within to help her lord the way she had intended, he wouldn't be bleeding and injured so. Rin felt another tear fall down her cheek and she attempted to hold them back. She knew her Sesshomaru-sama would not approve of her crying. He would want her to remain strong.

The longer she stood looking at her lord's injured body, however, Rin found her resistance to the tears crumble. She softly wept, hugging herself as she watched the woman tend to Sesshomaru. Her Sesshomaru-sama had been trying to rescue her before he had been injured so. Rin knelt down to grasp his hand. Just as she was about to touch him, Rin felt a hand on her shoulder. She looked up into the honey gold eyes of Poledra. Poledra gently squeezed her shoulder. “He will be fine. Let Polgara tend to him. You can see him as soon as she gets that wound of his taken care of. Your pack leader is strong. His heart beat is strong.”

Rin looked back down towards Sesshomaru. They had taken his haori off his chest and the purpled and blackened bruises that adorned the usual pale flesh only made new tears flow from her eyes. Unable to help take care of her lord, Rin looked towards the wolf-woman before glancing again at Sesshomaru. She whispered, “Get better, Sesshomaru-sama. Rin wants you to be okay.”

Poledra gripped her hand. “Come, Rin. I have something for you.”

Rin nodded, following the wolf-woman. She glanced once over her shoulder at Sesshomaru as Polgara worked quickly to stem his bleeding. When Poledra stopped, she said, “Sit.”

She sat down, looking at the woman. Rin felt more tears fall and her breath caught in her throat as she said, “I tried to help Sesshomaru-sama.”

“I know you did. Do you know what happened?”

Rin blinked back more tears, rubbing an eye. “No. It felt like I was tingling all over and then I was with you, Poledra-sama.”

“You used your Will, Rin. Do you know what that means?” Poledra's gold eyes became serious and stern, reminding Rin much of Sesshomaru.

Rin shook her head. “I don't understand, Poledra-sama. I wished that Sesshomaru-sama would be out of danger and then I was with you. Why did that happen?”

“Well, what really happened, Rin, dear, is you willed yourself out of danger. You were trying to will your pack leader to safety. When you said your pack-leader's name, your Will was unleashed and because you didn't know how to focus it on him, it centered on you instead.” A soft smile touched the tawny-haired woman's face. She held up a necklace with a small silver circle at its end. “This can help you use your Will, Rin.”

Rin took the object into her hands. She looked up towards the wolf-woman. “I don't understand.”

“Well, Rin, do you know what the Will and the Word is?”

Rin shook her head. She wasn't really certain what it all meant. She felt more tears well up in her eyes. Rin whispered, “No.”

“Well, Rin, it's rather simple. If you have enough determination inside of you to want something to happen, you can harness that power and make it happen. You see, when you gather in that power, it builds until you speak the word. Once you speak the word, what ever you desire to happen will.” Poledra smiled, warmth entering into the honey depths of her eyes.

Rin clutched the small object tightly in her hand. “Will this help me so I can help Sesshomaru-sama better next time? I don't want him to get hurt like that ever again.”

Poledra nodded. “Yes, Rin. Your amulet will help you focus your Will better. When you tried to Will your pack leader out of danger tonight, the reason it sent you near me instead was because your Will was so out of focus. It was also your first time to use your talent. You were trying to put all of your Will on your pack leader but instead it focused on you.”

Rin looked towards the wolf-woman. “I still don't understand.”

Poledra smiled softly. “Here, why don't I show you something. It'll help you to understand.” She stepped back a few feet from Rin. As Rin watched her, the woman slowly seemed to blur and the image of the silver she-wolf melded with Poledra. A soft whisper brushed Rin's mind as she watched the woman shift. Poledra disappeared and standing in her place was the she-wolf, tongue hanging out in quiet laughter, her gold eyes filled with mirth. The wolf shimmered and the whisper filled Rin's mind again. Poledra stood in the wolf's place.

Rin asked, “What was that whispering sound?”

“I was using my Will. What you heard was the sound that only others such as you and I can hear. Others with our type of talent are able to hear what we are doing.” Poledra sat back down by the child. “You see, because I envisioned myself as a wolf, I was able to become it. With focus, anything is possible.”

Rin looked at her with wonder. The wolf-woman had said she had used her Will to become a wolf. Rin asked, “Poledra-sama, would I be able to do what you just did?”

Poledra smiled. “Of course, dear. It'd take time for you to learn it, but eventually you'd be able to. You can do anything you want with your Will, except unmake things.” Her expression became serious. “Rin, when you gather your Will, you must never say the words “be not” or “go away” or “cease” ever. The Universe will not permit it and in the end it will be you who will be unmade.” She gently squeezed Rin's shoulder. “Now that you've used your Will once, it will never be sealed away again. You'll need to be taught how to use it so that you don't hurt yourself or others. The amulet you hold will also help you with that.”

Rin looked from Poledra down to the silver chain in her hands. She held up the silver disk, looking at it. Rin gasped as she looked at the intricate design that adorned its front. Carved in life-like detail on the polished silver was the image of her lord in his truest form. He stood proud and majestic, his fur outlined in careful detail. The crescent moon that adorned his forehead marked him as her lord. She traced the design, following the outline of it from the nose of the dog-demon figure to the flaring tail at its end. Rin noted that even this figure missed a front paw, just like Sesshomaru-sama. Even with the missing front paw, the figure looked intimidating and magnificent. It stood regal and proud as the image on the amulet looked ready to attack. Rin clutched it to her chest. “This is for me?”

“Yes, Rin. But to make sure it helps you focus your Will and help your pack leader, you must never take it off.” Poledra looked solemn.

“Never? I don't know, Poledra-sama. Sesshomaru-sama might not like it if I put this on without him first seeing it.” Rin looked back down at the intricate design on the amulet. She loved it dearly, the way it illustrated her lord as he was in truest form. It called to her, asking to be worn. The life-like resemblance to Sesshomaru and the beautiful detail astonished her. Yet, Rin did not want to disappoint her lord by not asking his permission first. Rin didn't want him to disapprove of her and she hesitated.

Poledra placed a hand over hers around the chain. “I mean no disrespect to your pack-leader. This medallion is here to help you and your pack-leader. When you wear it, it will help you with your talent. If you will let me, I will teach you how to use your Will and the amulet together. That way next time you try to help your pack-leader it will work out the way you intend.” She smiled warmly at Rin, her gold eyes locked on her brown. “This amulet was crafted for you before you ever came to us in the Vale. It has been waiting for you for a long time. If you shall accept it, you will only gain. Your pack-leader will also gain from your acceptance. If worn, it will increase the bond you two share a hundredfold.”

Rin looked up from her contemplation of the design on the necklace. She glanced over towards Sesshomaru's resting form, the dark haired sorceress still tending to his wounds. She looked back at the amulet and then towards Sesshomaru. He was hurt because she hadn't been able to use this Will that the wolf-woman had talked about correctly. Maybe if she did wear this amulet with the life-like image of Sesshomaru on it she would be able to the next time something similar happened. Poledra had also mentioned it strengthening the bond she shared with Sesshomaru. Rin would do anything to make that bond as strong as possible. Perhaps wearing this amulet would do this. Rin looked up towards Poledra, noticing the slight smile on the woman's face. She asked, “You will teach me?”

“Yes, dear. If you like, we'll start as soon as we're done talking with your pack-leader after he wakes.” Poledra placed her hand onto Rin's shoulder. “Do you accept my gift to you and my offer to educate you about your Will, Rin?”

Rin looked again towards Sesshomaru and then her amulet. She said, “Yes.”

Poledra took the amulet back into her hands, unclasping it. She slid it around Rin's neck, preparing to hook the latch. “You are certain?”

“Yes.” Rin nodded and Poledra clasped the amulet around her throat.

A strange voice rang by her, proclaiming, “Done! And Done!” It exulted inside the vaults of her mind and Rin looked around to locate its source. She felt the cool metal of her amulet rest against her skin and a tingling sensation ran through her body. Rin felt as if she had been missing the ornament her entire life up until this point. It warmed against her skin and she grasped it into one hand, tracing the design again. It completed her in a way that she hadn't realized she had lacked before.

Rin looked up into Poledra's eyes, noticing that the golden depths held a certain amount of satisfaction. The wolf-woman smiled. “We must get you back to your pack leader before he should wake and wonder where you are. No need to provide him with more stress about your safety.” She stood, offering her hand to the little girl.

Rin nodded, a little dazed. She didn't really understand what the voice had meant and didn't have the energy to ask. Now all she wanted to do was sit with her lord and wait for him to wake. They walked through the now forming camp, back towards the area where the dark-haired sorceress tended to Sesshomaru. His shattered leg had been set and splints rested on it. His chest was covered in bandages and had been wrapped tightly. As they neared closer, Rin noticed that Inuyasha still sat with him, Sesshomaru's head resting in his lap.

Inuyasha looked up towards her. A small smile crossed his lips. “Hey pup. You better switch with me. He's not going to want to see my face first thing when he wakes up.”

Rin glanced up towards Poledra once before letting the wolf-woman's hand go. She nodded at Inuyasha and knelt down next to him. Inuyasha gently eased Sesshomaru's head into her lap and Rin brushed the bangs off his face, away from the crescent moon. Rin whispered, “I'm sorry, Sesshomaru-sama.”



Sesshomaru clawed his way back to consciousness with some effort. The smell of lilies and blood filled his nose. The first scent soothed him and the second made his stomach turn. Sesshomaru slowly opened his eyes, noticing the slight blurred vision of Rin's upside down face above his. Relief flooded his body as he saw her face until he noticed the tears that glistened in her brown eyes and that her lip trembled. The little girl whispered, “I'm sorry, Sesshomaru-sama.”

Sesshomaru blinked, his vision clearing. He realized that his head rested in the girl's lap. Grimacing, he felt the aches and pains settle in his chest and his right leg. He said, “Rin.”

Rin nodded. “Yes, Sesshomaru-sama?”

“Do not be sorry.” He sat up slowly, his hand instinctively going to his tender ribs. Sesshomaru felt Rin rest her hands onto his back, supporting him as he adjusted himself to sit up. He grunted as he tried to move with the shattered leg. Once he was situated, Sesshomaru looked towards the young girl. Rin had her eyes cast down and a frown on her face. She looked as if she was waiting for him to punish her for something. “Rin.”

Rin lifted her eyes briefly before casting them down in what could only be described as submission. She said, “I'm sorry, Sesshomaru-sama. I tried.”

Sesshomaru made his voice stern. “Do not be sorry.” He wrinkled his nose a moment. What did she mean by her last statement? It made no sense to him. “Explain what you mean.”

“I---I tried to help you and instead you got hurt.” Rin said, flicking her brown eyes at him. Her lip trembled further and a few tears streaked down her cheeks. “I'm sorry.”

“I have told you not to be sorry. You have done nothing wrong.” Sesshomaru's brow furrowed further. As his mind came fully awake, he remembered the battle with the demon. He remembered seeing the giant hand threatening to crush the girl before she had disappeared before his vision. Then he had felt the crushing grip of that very hand around him. Under normal circumstances, Sesshomaru would have not been in such a situation. Sesshomaru had been startled by the sudden disappearance of Rin before his eyes and had felt himself hesitate that split second. After that he had felt bones in his body give way and everything fade into darkness. Sesshomaru asked, “How did you try to help this Sesshomaru?”

“I wished that you would be away from the demon and then I found myself with Poledra-sama. She said that I had used my Will and because it was my first try to use it that I couldn't focus it right.” A slight blush tinged the girl's cheeks. “I didn't mean to scare you, Sesshomaru-sama.”

Sesshomaru's eyes went wide in shock at the girl's explanation of what had happened. She had used her Will? Was she truly like the sorcerers they traveled with? Had his Rin employed their power? He looked into her face for any hint of deceit, knowing his Rin could not lie to him. Her brown eyes were confused, but they proved that she had told the truth. As Sesshomaru looked at her, he noticed a small silver chain hanging around her neck, a silver disk peeking over the collar of her smock. “Rin, what is this about your neck?”

Rin blushed further. She pulled on the chain, taking it out of her clothing. She said, “Poledra-sama gave it to me.”

Sesshomaru frowned at this. The strange wolf-woman giving his Rin a gift without consulting him bothered the Demon Lord. “Remove it and show it to this Sesshomaru.”

Rin reached around her neck, obeying. Her nimble fingers that had often broken through most of the latches and locks within his palace faltered and Rin shook her head. “I can't, Sesshomaru-sama. It won't unlatch.”

At this statement, Sesshomaru's temper flared. He slammed his fist into the ground, furious that these sorcerers would give her a gift without talking with him first and then place a spell on it that would make its removal impossible. He saw the girl flinch, further looking towards the brown blanket they sat on, in submission. He leaned forward, ignoring the pain and took the silver disk into his hand. He was shocked to see an image of himself chiseled into its surface, even to include the detail of his missing fore paw. The image was so perfectly done and Sesshomaru felt astonishment at the craftsmanship of the sorcerers to mold such a medallion based on his true form, something they had seen only once. The girl shrunk back again, shame and fear tinging her scent. He said, making his voice as gentle as possible, “Rin, I am not vexed with you.”

Rin looked up slowly. She bit her lip to fight back some tears. “I'm sorry. I should have asked you first. I didn't know it wouldn't come off.”

Sesshomaru cupped her face in his hand. “The wolf-woman gave this to you, yes?”

Rin nodded, blinking back tears. She said, “Poledra-sama said that it would help me and you. I only took it because she said it would help you. She said that I need it to focus my Will so next time I try to do something to help you I'll do what I want.” She cast her eyes down again. “Poledra-sama can hear the sounds I kept hearing. She said its only a sound that people with talent like me can hear.”

Sesshomaru pursed his lips. He would have to speak with this Poledra. It was disquieting that the woman would speak about such matters without his presence. He said, “Do you know where the wolf-woman is now?”

Rin shook her head. “No.” She lowered her head. “I'm sorry, Sesshomaru-sama.”

“Cease your apologies. You have done nothing wrong.” He glared out of the canopy resting over him. He could see the wolf-woman staring towards them before she crossed the clearing. Perhaps Sesshomaru would get his wish to talk with her about why she had placed the object around his Rin's neck without his permission.

Poledra arrived, peering into the makeshift infirmary. “I see your pack-leader has woken, Rin.” She leveled her golden gaze on him, no hint of submission in their depths. She said, “I see you have seen Rin's new ornament.”

“I have and I would like an explanation as to why I was not consulted before it was locked around her neck. Undo the spell.” Sesshomaru glared at her, his teeth clenched in an attempt to control the building rage.

Poledra knelt down. She said, “My Master gave her this gift. It was crafted five hundred years ago, during the Battle of Vo Mimbre. My mate and daughter do not know of its existence. Aldur entrusted it to me and told me I would know the precise moment to give it to the true owner. If you would like to undo the spell, discuss the matter with Him as He was the one to design the latch. It exists in two times simultaneously. Polgara could undo it, but she understands the significance of such a necklace.” Her eyes became stern. “Like it or not, she has been chosen to serve my Master.”

Sesshomaru narrowed his eyes and then stared at the woman in shock. He remembered the God they had met in the valley. He had a presence like no other and even though Sesshomaru was a powerful Demon Lord he shuddered to think of crossing such a being. It was foolhardy to even attempt such a feat, although Sesshomaru knew that the Godslayer had done so and won. He said, “I do not understand. What do you mean she has been chosen to serve your Master?”

Poledra gently rested a hand onto Rin's shoulder. “This girl has been blessed to be chosen by Aldur as a disciple. He awoke her abilities when he cured her sickness after you arrived in the Vale. She's been bursting at the seams with her power since we arrived on the shores of the Malloreon coast. It was only a matter of time before she used her Will.” Her eyes softened. “It is a blessing, for now Rin shall have a life longer than an ordinary mortal. Aldur had to give her the gift of her Will to give her the gift of a long life.”

Sesshomaru looked from Poledra to the now silent Rin. Rin still sat in submission to him, her head bowed. He gently took one of her hands into his own. He then felt anger at having not been told. “Why did you not tell me as soon as you knew?”

Poledra smiled, her flawless face unreadable. “For one to discover their talent it must be a spontaneous act. If you are told you can then try and fail, you shall never succeed again. Part of our power comes from the confidence that we know it will work.” She looked at him with unblinking gold eyes. “Now that Rin has used her Will, she will be unable to seal it away again. She will use it again rather she wishes to or not. I have been entrusted to be her teacher by Aldur.”

Rin looked up at him, her eyes pleading for forgiveness. She looked so frightened of his wrath and Sesshomaru gently squeezed her hand. She pulled away from the wolf-woman, leaning herself against his shoulder, mindful of his injuries. He slipped his arm around her before resting his eyes back on Poledra. She was to teach Rin how to use her new power. Sesshomaru frowned at the thought. He did not like this wolf-woman. He said, “Are the other sorcerers unable to educate her?”

Poledra shook her head. “It was I who trained Polgara. My mate will disagree as he believed me to be dead at the time, but I instructed her in all she knows. Aldur has matched me with Rin as well. You have no reason to fear me. I know of your disdain for the man-eating wolves and I share in that feeling. I also understand your reservations. I am a wolf by nature, and therefore understand the inner workings of pack life. You are Rin's pack-leader. As such, I regret that I had to wait until now to discuss these matters with you. It is not custom and I do not like to break with custom. However, Aldur is my Master and he wished for me to wait till the time was right.” She stood. “I shall begin Rin's education in the morning. She will learn one way or another or she could potentially harm herself. Soon the Old Wolf will wish to speak with us as a whole. I must inform him that my task has been completed. You are welcome, as her pack-leader, to be involved with her training. In fact, I encourage and request it. ”

Sesshomaru furrowed his brow as the woman left. He rubbed Rin's shoulders, attempting to reassure her. This business about Rin's new powers unnerved him more than he cared to admit. On the other hand, the revelation that now that she had been given this gift that it would increase her life span encouraged him. Sesshomaru had known that she would most likely die in a short time, after a brief sixty or seventy years on the earth. But the sorcerers they traveled with had admitted to living for thousands of years. If this was the case, his Rin would not fade away so soon, leaving him without anyone to calm or soothe his soul. As one who had seen the destructive nature of an untrained being, be they demon, miko or otherwise, he knew that Poledra was right. Rin would have to be trained to control her powers. He gritted his teeth, still displeased with the turn of events between his fight with the demon and his waking with a broken leg.

Rin whispered, “I'm sorry I didn't wait for you to wake.”

“It is not your fault. None of this is in your control.” He rubbed her back, pulling her close. “You will do as Poledra instructs you to.” It was hard for him to say, but Sesshomaru knew it was for her safety. Having seen the destructive nature of the sorcerers' capabilities, he was not willing to risk Rin harming herself because she could not control her power. It would be no better than leaving Inuyasha without Tetsusaiga to curb his demon blood.

Rin gasped as she looked up at him. She then looked down. “Yes, Sesshomaru-sama.”

Polgara peeked inside the canopy. “I see my patient is awake. Sesshomaru, how are you feeling?”

Sesshomaru sat up, wincing from the feeling of bruised ribs. They were not nearly as tender as they had been when he had first woke up. “I will heal shortly. Do not waste your time healing this Sesshomaru.”

Polgara clucked her tongue. She looked at him sternly. “Nonsense, dear. You've lost an awful lot of blood.” She knelt down, checking his splint. “You're lucky that bone didn't slice any deeper. As it was I had a hard time keeping you from bleeding to death.”

Sesshomaru drew his mouth into a tight line. He touched the splint on his leg. “Remove this ridiculous contraption.”

“I wouldn't, dear. That leg of yours needs the aid of that splint, even if you do heal fast.” Polgara smiled at him before her eyes became like steel. “I have had far more stubborn patients than you in the past. The Old Wolf is intolerable when injured. I have yet to meet someone who is more stubborn than he is.” She bent down, checking the splint and the bandages on his chest. “You are healing quite fast, though.”

Sesshomaru flinched from her touch. He glared at her. “This Sesshomaru has no need for human medicine.”

Polgara crossed her arms. “It is only for a brief amount of time. You were nearly killed tonight, after all. I'll come to check on you in a short while. Father wishes to speak with all of us, soon.” The sorceress exited the tent, again leaving Sesshomaru to his thoughts.

It was short lived as Sesshomaru saw Inuyasha's face peek in, Kagome not far behind. Inuyasha flashed a wide smile at him, revealing his fangs. “Good to see you're awake, jackass.”

Sesshomaru sighed. He did not feel up to bickering with his brother. He had other concerns on his mind. Before he could reply, Kagome knelt down on his left. She threw her arms around his neck and hugged him. “You're okay. I was so worried.” Kagome pulled back, a small blush on her cheeks. She smiled at him, tears standing in her eyes. Kagome looked down and whispered, “Sorry, Sesshomaru. I'm just happy to see you're alright.”

Inuyasha shook his head. “Oi, wench, watch it. He's got broken ribs.” He sat down in his boneless manner, arms crossed in his sleeves. “That demon sure squeezed some of the piss and vinegar out of you. You haven't called me half-breed yet.”

Sesshomaru gritted his teeth. He glared at his half-brother, narrowing his eyes. “Half-breed, if you would quit running your mouth perhaps this Sesshomaru would be able to get a word in edge wise.”

“That's more like it. I was thinking I'd have to kick your ass so you'd get pissed enough.” He kicked a back foot to scratch an ear. “That old man says we have a lot to talk about. Oh, and what about your sword? I ain't touching it. It's still in that clearing.”

Sesshomaru snorted. “I have heard.” He felt Rin sit up, remaining in a submissive position. If he could only spend some time alone with her, he could assure her that it was not her fault and that he had no quarrel with her. He closed his eyes, taking in a deep breath. So much had changed in such a short time. He said, “My sword will protect itself until I can retrieve it.”

Belgarath peeked around the canopy. “Well, I suppose we should get this discussion over with.” He sat down not far from the entrance to the canopy. The Godslayer and Polgara joined the small group inside the infirmary. “First of all, we should address Rin's new condition.”

Sesshomaru raised his hand. “Your mate has already discussed the matter with this Sesshomaru. I have no need to hear any further.”

Belgarath's blue eyes narrowed before he nodded. “I see. Alright, let's talk about the demon. It seems that Naraku provided a lesser imp from Hell with the ability to appear as strong as a Demon Lord. As soon as that jewel shard was removed from it, the demon reverted to its natural size and power before returning to Hell where it belongs. May I see the shard?”

Inuyasha pulled the shard from his haori front. It was still tainted. He passed it to Kagome first. The instant her fingers touched the shard, it purified from a dull black to a brilliant pink. Kagome held it on her palm for the sorcerer to examine. She said, “This shard was tainted and implanted in that imp. It's what gave the imp the ability to become much more powerful than it should have been able to be. I don't know much about your kind of demon but those we routinely fight employ the power of a shard to enhance their own natural abilities.”

“Yes. I understand.” The sorcerer sighed. “Well, that complicates matters some. If this Naraku is willing to use these shards to make demons from Hell stronger, I can only imagine what a Demon Lord will be like while drawing from its power. I suppose it cannot be helped.” Belgarath pinched his nose. “As you know, we had an appointment tonight at sundown. That appointment has been fulfilled. All the tasks that were necessary to complete have been completed.”

Sesshomaru arched an eyebrow, wondering what these tasks were. “And they were?”

“Well, one of them was the crossing of Garion and Inuyasha's swords. The Orb has granted a bit of its power to your brother's sword. It will be a permanent feature of it from now on. Another task was to defeat of the demon itself. That battle had to happen the way it did so that Rin would be set into a situation to use her Will for the first time. I know you are uncomfortable with it, but like it or not Rin has to have her power.” Belgarath sighed.

Polgara continued, “The Grolims that have attacked in the past, the nightmares at the inn and the like, have all been after Rin to destroy her before her power could manifest itself. We have been protecting her since you came to the Vale from such attacks. I personally have had my mind linked with Rin's since before we docked on the Malloreon coast. Any attack directed at Rin was dealt with immediately.” Her gray eyes locked on Sesshomaru's.

Sesshomaru frowned. He wasn't sure if he liked the idea that someone else felt that his protection of the child was somehow inadequate. He heard his brother snort and Kagome gasp. Kagome asked, “What type of attacks?”

“Grolims like to play mind tricks as you've learned the hard way. Garion went through a similar experience when he was growing up. A Murgo by the name of Asharak had tampered with his mind nearly from birth after setting his parents on fire. Garion was unable to speak about the mystery rider he saw. Until I discovered the subtle tampering, Asharak could demand anything of Garion. I was determined to prevent a similar instance with Rin. If a Grolim were to infect her mind before she was ready to defend herself, it could cause her to be uncertain of who her friend or foe is.” Polgara shook her head. She said, “Rin, come here.”

Rin looked up into Sesshomaru's eyes, asking for permission. He nodded for her to follow the command. Rin stood on shaky legs, joining the sorceress. She sat down, her eyes still cast down. Belgarath said, “Rin, draw your amulet out.”

Rin nodded, pulling the silver medallion out. She held it in her palm. The sorceress pulled a similar amulet out, the image of a snowy owl about to take flight adorning it. It looked as life-like as the image on Rin's. The old man drew another one from his tunic and on it was that of a standing wolf that appeared ready to lope away. The Godslayer also had one, his amulet designed with a criss cross of lines in a design that didn't appear as anything definable. When all four had their amulets out, they rested their hands on top of Rin's. Sesshomaru watched as Rin's eyes fluttered shut and a peaceful expression crossed her features. When they let go, Belgarath nodded in satisfaction. “My Master shall be pleased indeed. The task was completed even better than expected.”

Sesshomaru pushed himself to sit fully upright. He wanted to know what had transpired when these sorcerers had touched their amulets and Rin's at the same time. “What did you do?”

Inuyasha's ears lifted on his head in concentration as he stared at the group. He was about to inquire about Rin's new decoration but Kagome elbowed him roughly in the ribs and placed a finger to her lips, effectively silencing him. She hissed, “This is between Sesshomaru and Rin.”

He folded his arms across his chest, glaring at her, his focus completely off of what ever was happening with Rin. Inuyasha muttered, “You're going to pay for that dearly, wench. Just wait.”

Belgarath cleared his throat, drawing Sesshomaru's full attention away from the brewing fight between the couple. His eyes were still closed as he spoke. “She has been fully sealed to our Master. Aldur has accepted her as a disciple, though it will be some time before she realizes her full power.” The man's blue eyes opened, revealing the satisfaction and love within them. “I understand your reservations, Sesshomaru. You are a dog-demon and she is a pack-member. Aldur has decided we should form one large pack essentially. That means all of us. You, Rin, Inuyasha, Kagome, everyone. I know it'll take time for this to become completely acceptable, but we have been looking out for Rin as much as you have. She's too valuable to lose, considering she will eventually be considered a sister.”

Rin again sat in submission to Sesshomaru, her scent tinged with confusion and guilt. She stood up, crossing back to sit by his side. Silently, she sat with her head bowed and her hands in her lap. The amulet was sitting on the front of her smock.

Inuyasha asked, “So what you're saying is that God we met back in that valley wants Rin as a disciple?”

“Precisely.” Belgarath turned, his sharp blue eyes boring into Inuyasha. “Speaking of you and Kagome, I believe we have some important matters to discuss. We should leave these two be and go to discuss them.”

Inuyasha crossed his arms, his chin thrust out. He looked defiant. “I know what you want to talk about, Old Man. You may think we're going to be some big happy pack, but you're wrong. I don't care what you think, we're not talking about Kagome or anything that has to do with her time. You can forget it.”

Belgarath sighed. “I had a feeling you might feel that way. Eventually we'll have to talk about it and putting it off will not make it any easier.”

Kagome sighed. “Come on, Inuyasha. We should let Sesshomaru rest some. He's right, we'll have to talk about it eventually.” She gripped his hand into hers. Sesshomaru knew that Kagome was probably right and that Inuyasha would have to give in. He didn't like it anymore than Inuyasha did, but he also knew that the secret was already out. She tugged on Inuyasha's hand, forcing him to stand. “We'll talk with you, Belgarath.”

Belgarath nodded. “Good.” He stood, the Godslayer and Polgara followed close behind.

Polgara said, “I'll be back in awhile to make sure you're healing properly.” She ducked to clear the canopy, leaving Rin and Sesshomaru alone in the makeshift infirmary.

Sesshomaru frowned, his brows furrowed. So much had happened and so much had changed in such a brief time period. He sighed as he rested his gaze on Rin. The child sat in front of him, her head down. “Rin.”

Rin looked up, not letting her eyes connect with his for long. “Yes, Sesshomaru-sama?”

“You do not have anything to fear from me. I am not angry with you. You have done nothing wrong.” He lifted his arm. “Come.”

Rin joined him, resting her head onto his chest. Sesshomaru placed his arm around her tiny frame. She was so fragile and small. Sesshomaru ran his fingers through her soft hair. As he looked down, he noticed the chain again on her amulet. So Aldur wanted her as a disciple. She looked the same to him and smelled the same, but it was undeniable that something had shifted in her aura. He couldn't describe it. Rin's aura wasn't that of a demon or a miko. It wasn't an ordinary human's either. As he sat with her, he gently rubbed circles on her back. The tinge of fear in her scent disturbed him. Rin burrowed her face into the crook of his neck, nuzzling her nose, another act of submission. Sesshomaru felt the wetness of her tears land on his bare shoulder and he pulled her closer, disregarding the sharp pain that came from her tiny form coming into contact with his injured leg.

Rin whispered, “Are you angry with Rin? Rin will never do it again.”

“No, Rin. I'm not angry with you.” He bent a little to kiss her forehead. “You did not choose to receive this power.” Sesshomaru sighed. As much as he wanted to deny its existence, he could remember Rin's cry and sudden disappearance. They were certain evidence of the power that resided in her petite frame. “You must learn to use it.” He lifted the chain on the amulet, looking again at the image. He may not have liked the object being locked around Rin's neck without his permission, but it was at least suitable. Sesshomaru felt a small smile cross his lips. If anything, at least it was an image of himself that was fastened around her throat. Anything else would have been unacceptable.
Rin snuggled closer. “Yes, Sesshomaru-sama.” She yawned wide, curling up against him. “Rin will do as Sesshomaru-sama asks.”

Sesshomaru tucked the object back into her smock and adjusted himself to sit full upright. His ribs felt mildly bruised at this point and his leg was starting to ache rather than shoot with intense pain. It would still take till dawn for his body to fully repair but it was becoming less painful. He pulled Rin to rest across his chest. Sesshomaru rested his arm around her before nuzzling his nose into her hair. He asked, “Do you like the gift Poledra gave you?”

Rin lifted her head up, her eyes not meeting his. She bit her lip as if she was trying to formulate an answer he would approve of. She nodded yes. “I love it, Sesshomaru-sama. The picture on it looks just like you.” She looked back down, bowing her head slightly.

Sesshomaru pulled her closer. He said, “Then I find it acceptable for you to have it.”

Rin lifted her head up, smiling at him. He had given his acceptance for her to have the new amulet that rested around her throat. She gripped it in her hand. “Thank-you, Sesshomaru-sama.” She hugged him, nuzzling her nose under his chin, this time in contentment. She yawned again. “Rin is sleepy.”

Before he could reply, the child was asleep and he was left to process everything that had occurred in silence. In the end, perhaps Rin's new abilities were not such a bad thing after all. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise, although Sesshomaru would have wished for certain aspects about her new talents to have been addressed differently. He was certainly going to take an active position in her new training. Sesshomaru closed his eyes, firming his grip on Rin. He let sleep claim him to allow his body to heal faster.