Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Forty-Five ( Chapter 45 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Forty-Five

After bathing, Sesshomaru finished getting dressed. It felt good to no longer have the splint on his leg or the caked, dried blood in his hair. The smell of it had invaded his nose much of the night and if it had not been for Rin's comforting, floral scent, he might not have been able to sleep at all. Overlying the stench of his blood was the foul odor of the demon his brother had defeated, which only made it that much more difficult to rest. Sesshomaru shook his arm into the sleeve of his haori, tugging with his hand to bring it over his left shoulder. Once it was secure around his stump, he tied it shut. Sesshomaru lifted his hair and pushed it behind his shoulders to flow down his back. It felt good to be clean and healed. As he returned to the center of camp, he caught the scent of breakfast being prepared. Sesshomaru felt a rumble in his stomach; it always made him hungry after recuperating from a serious injury.

He eased himself onto the ground and waited for breakfast to be prepared. As he adjusted himself to sit comfortably, Sesshomaru felt Rin collide with him. She climbed into his lap and hugged him tightly around the throat. Rin snuggled up to him whispering into his ear, “You're all better now, Sesshomaru-sama. I'm so happy.” Rin nuzzled her nose under his chin. “Sorry, Sesshomaru-sama.” She giggled, hiding her face into his shoulder. “Rin's just happy to see you all better.”

Sesshomaru put his hand onto her hair, brushing his clawed thumb over it. He eased his arm around her shoulders, pulling her close to his chest. Rin settled down into his lap, her tiny arms circling his back and she rested her head onto his fur. Sesshomaru sighed before glancing around camp. He allowed an eyebrow to arch when he noticed that Inuyasha wasn't there. His brother had a ravenous appetite so it was unusual for Inuyasha to miss a meal. After traveling with him as long as he had, Sesshomaru knew that the half-breed would return soon enough to eat. It hadn't escaped his observation that Kagome was also absent; a small smile crossed Sesshomaru's features at the implications of what might be keeping the pair.

Rin scrambled back out of his lap and sat onto the soft grass next to him as breakfast was served. Breakfast happened to be porridge and if Sesshomaru hadn't felt so starved, he might have turned his nose up at it. He much preferred Polgara's cooking when she made roasted meats and stews. A small hunk of cheese was also passed towards him. As he looked up, he noticed that the plain faced mate of the sorceress was approaching. In his large hands he clutched Sesshomaru's dented armor plate. The quiet, plain spoken man had always avoided him in the past. Sesshomaru kept his gaze fixed on his breakfast, one gold eye cast to the side to observe what the man might do next.

Polgara's mate muttered something about the dents before turning towards him. “I can fix this for you if you'd like. I've assessed everything that needs to be done to repair it and make it stronger.” His brown eyes were fixed upon the armor as he spoke, and his hands gripped it tightly. It betrayed his anxiety about speaking directly to Sesshomaru. His scent didn't reveal any fear, instead it seemed the smith was simply uncomfortable. He continued, his voice quiet, “It's a fine piece and I'd hate to see it be left in this shape.”

Sesshomaru curtly nodded his head in response. He, too, glanced down at the plate that the plain man held. It did need serious repair after the demon had attempted to crush him. It had several depressions that marred its surface, making it impossible to wear in its current condition. He looked back into his bowl of porridge, taking another spoonful as he mulled over the man's proposal. Sesshomaru swallowed before replying, “This Sesshomaru shall accept your offer.”

The smith let a wide smile cross his plain face. He held up the armor. “I'll have it to you very soon. I have everything ready to fire it and get these dents out. It'll be like brand new when finished.” His voice revealed his eagerness to repair the armor and his behavior perplexed Sesshomaru. They had spoken hardly at all and had very little in common. Why was he so insistent and willing to help repair the damaged armor? Sesshomaru knew that the smith had no favor to repay. He had no debt to collect from this man. Yet, if it could get his armor restored, Sesshomaru would be willing to oblige the man's wish to mend it.

Sesshomaru finished the gruel that had been given to him, picking up the small hunk of yellow cheese. He tore a piece off and ate it. Glancing up, he saw Inuyasha and Kagome emerge from the trees. His brother knelt down to let Kagome slide off of his back. After Inuyasha stood back up, Kagome interlaced her fingers with his. They crossed the camp to sit down and accepted breakfast. A lot of the tension that had been building between the couple seemed to have been resolved. Hopefully it would make his brother less irritable and unpleasant to travel with. After the bandit attack in the grove, the friction between the two mates had become almost unbearable. Now they sat next to one another, Inuyasha holding his mate close and both had wide smiles on their faces. Sesshomaru's earlier assumptions about his brother's absence from breakfast had proved to be correct.

Polgara's mate brought his attention back to his side of the camp. He held up the plate. “Let me see how this fits on you as is so I can adjust it to fit better, alright?” He leaned forward with it and Sesshomaru lifted his arm in compliance. The battered armor rested against Sesshomaru's chest and warped in several places away from it. The smith made small comments about certain adjustments that would need to be made and then pulled the damaged plate away. He said, “It'll fit a bit more snug when I finish with it. I'll also reinforce it so it deflects blows better.” It was as if he wasn't talking to Sesshomaru at all.

Rin quietly watched as the smith worked. Her brown eyes were puzzled as she looked on. She had finished her bowl of porridge quickly and now nibbled on the cheese provided. Rin's nose crinkled in thought and she asked, “What are you doing with Sesshomaru-sama's armor?”

Polgara's mate looked at her, a small smile on his lips. “I'm repairing it. To do my job correctly, I have to make sure of where to strike. That way it will fit better. I couldn't bear to look at it again if I didn't follow through completely. I'd be able to see where I hadn't put my best work in. Always do your best work.” He turned his attention back to the plate. “I will have this done very shortly. It will not take much time at all.” The plain faced man stood up, crossing back towards his mate. He set the plate down onto the ground before picking it up between a pair of forceps and set it into a fire. The man lifted a heavy hammer after the plate had rested in the fire a short while and struck it in a rhythm Sesshomaru believed to be second nature to the smith.

Polgara stood, crossing the encampment. She held over one arm a brown garment. “Rin, I have something for you.” She smiled at the little girl. The sorceress held up in her hands a modest, practical travel dress. “I thought it was about time you had a proper dress for the road. It'll serve much better than the smock you've been wearing.” She offered the dress to Rin.

Sesshomaru watched Rin as she accepted it. She looked at the dress and then towards him. She asked, her head bowed in submission not unlike the night before, “Is it alright, Sesshomaru-sama, if I take this dress?”

Sesshomaru nodded. “You have my permission.”

Rin smiled wide. She looked up towards Polgara. “Thank-you, Polgara-sama. It's very nice.” She stood up, her breakfast finished. “Sesshomaru-sama, can I go change into it now?”

“Go ahead, Rin.”

He, too, finished his breakfast. Sesshomaru shook his head as he watched the girl bound off towards the canopy that they had shared the night before. She disappeared inside, leaving Sesshomaru to mull over her current demeanor. Ever since the wolf-woman had given Rin the amulet, the little girl's actions had become increasingly submissive. Except for her hugs before breakfast had arrived, Rin had seemed nervous to displease him. Hopefully as the day went on, the little girl would return to her normal behavior. She had always tried to do her best to please him, but the awkward distance between them disturbed Sesshomaru. He had tried everything to convince the child that he had no dispute with her.

Polgara broke into his thoughts. “Mother told me to inform you that she will start Rin's lesson when we stop for lunch. The Old Wolf wants to start moving very soon. We're very close to Rakand.”

“I see.”

The dark haired sorceress moved towards her mate, leaving him to wait for Rin's arrival. He glanced down at the ground, contemplating the lessons Rin would have with the wolf-woman, Poledra, later on. The woman perplexed him. Even though she knew that he did not like her, Poledra had expressed the initiative to train Rin none the less. Not unlike Inuyasha and himself, Poledra thought in the best welfare of the pack. She had demonstrated it on several occasions, even though Sesshomaru still did not trust her. Poledra had first appeared as a wolf when she had joined their traveling party on the way to Mal Zeth. She had made every effort to make Rin comfortable with her and had not done anything to startle the child. He remembered seeing the she-wolf lunge through the air, pick Rin up in her jaws and carry her to safety. Yet, the fact that the wolf-woman had locked the amulet around Rin's neck without first consulting him still vexed Sesshomaru.

The crunch of grass reached Sesshomaru's ears and he looked up, noticing that Inuyasha had crossed camp to join him. His brother sat down, his knees drawn close to his chest, one arm wrapped around them. He said, “That man, Polgara's mate, is he fixing your armor?”

Sesshomaru nodded. “Yes.” His brother's question perplexed him. He arched an eyebrow and asked, “Half-breed, why do you care what the man does with this Sesshomaru's armor?”

Inuyasha twitched his ears. He looked at the ground. “I found out something last night about him. He's like Rin.” His gold eyes were confused and awed as he looked over towards the smith as he worked. Inuyasha watched the smith as he manipulated the steel of Sesshomaru's armor. He fell silent as if transfixed.

Sesshomaru furrowed his brows, pondering what the half-breed had told him. He asked, breaking Inuyasha from his stupor, “How so?”

“That old man, he said that Durnik was murdered by Zedar. You know, the other sorcerer Belgarath fought with. Apparently Durnik was brought back to life and Aldur gave him the power of sorcery.” Inuyasha trailed a claw into the dirt around him. He kept his eyes on the ground. “Belgarath said that's why he's mad at Naraku. He released Zedar.”

Sesshomaru looked back towards Polgara's mate. He seemed ordinary enough. The man had always tried to blend into the background in the past. Durnik seemed to prefer following than taking the lead. The smith's interest in fixing his armor had been the first time the Demon Lord had seen Durnik take the initiative to set something into motion. Otherwise, the plain man had allowed others to make the major decisions concerning the agenda for their travel. Sesshomaru shifted his eyes back to his brother. “How did you come about this information?”

Inuyasha's ears drooped. “After Kagome told the old man what he wanted to know about her time I demanded to know how I could trust him. Belgarath said that he can't forgive Zedar for what he did to Durnik. Because that bastard let that other sorcerer out of the rock the old man put him into, Belgarath said he also couldn't forgive Naraku, either. I still don't know if I can trust the old man, but it does make sense. You saw how much those two sorcerers hated each other just as much as I did.” He scuffed a foot into the ground, moving to sit cross legged.

Sesshomaru looked down towards the ground. This bit of information certainly did change some matters. Before the sorcerers had little reason to actively seek Naraku's destruction. They had made talk about a prophecy and the rescue of one of the king's countries, but up until now they had had no real personal reason to oppose the evil half-breed. He looked back up towards the smith as he continued to work over his forge. The rhythmic ring of the man's hammer striking against the armor plate filled the morning air. If this man had been murdered and then brought back to life only to have his killer also resurrected by Naraku, it would certainly justify some of the emotions the sorcerers felt about the demons ravaging this land. He shook his head. “Half-breed, you say he is like Rin.”

“Yeah. I don't know how they brought Durnik back, but the old man said they revived him. Belgarath said that Aldur gave Durnik that sorcery stuff, too.” Inuyasha scratched an ear with a back foot.

Sesshomaru sighed. As he glanced over Inuyasha, he noticed that the half-breed's frame was considerably relaxed. The tension from the past day and a half had melted away. Feeling his curiosity get the best of him, Sesshomaru asked, “Little brother, have you resolved the issues you were having with your mate?”

Inuyasha snorted. “Feh. Like that's any of your business. But if you want to know so badly, yes, I did.” He crossed his arms across his chest, glaring at him. “Why do you care anyways?”

Sesshomaru replied, a smile crossing his lips, “Perhaps it is because you and your mate were becoming difficult to travel with.” If his brother responded the way he hoped he would, it would mean that perhaps his brother could begin to put the dreadful experiences in the inn behind him. He paused, waiting for the snide remark before continuing, “Perhaps you should find time to relieve the tension more often.”

“Hentai. I think we've been traveling with Miroku too long.” Inuyasha rolled his eyes. “If you're going to be such an asshole I'm going to go talk to someone else.”

The old sorcerer put an end to their impromptu banter. He said, “We're very close to Rakand. This is a Karandese city and that means we need a couple of people to enter, root around to find out what the locals are up to, and get out. We're much too large and distinct of a group to all go. Any takers?”

The thief said, “I'll go. I'll need some furs to wear, though. One should look the part. It's the only way I know to gain their trust.” He stood, brushing his hose and tunic off. “Anyone else willing to go with me?”

The monk responded from his side of the encampment, “I'll be willing to go. Perhaps some lead on what is going on with Naraku will be there.” He stood, gripping his staff in his hand.

The spy cast his eyes over the monk. “Not dressed like that you won't. They'll think you're some Grolim priest the way you're dressed. Karands hate Grolims.” He looked over the group. “We'll both need to dress to fit in. That means fresh furs. Anyone willing to go catch some for us to wear? I don't care if they're tanned or not. Karands probably don't even know what tanning is.”

Sesshomaru had no real interest in helping either the spy or monk. He realized they had to discover what was going on within the city, but it would not be up to him to aid in their underhanded activity. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Inuyasha lift his head up and look in their direction. The half-breed said, “I'll go catch what ever you want. What are you looking for?”

“Some rabbit and what ever else you can find will do. I'm not intending on wearing them for all that long. I just don't want to pry information out of riled up Karands. The more I look like them the more I can glean.” The spy paced, his nose twitching. “We'll need enough for me and the monk.”

“Alright. I'll be back shortly, then.” Inuyasha shot up to stand on his feet. He raced off into the trees, leaving Sesshomaru behind to wait for Rin.

Sesshomaru looked towards Polgara's mate when the steady hammering stopped. The smith had pulled the armor from his forge and set out to polish it. The sleeves of Durnik's tunic were rolled up, revealing the muscles that allowed the man to swing his massive hammer. He used a soft, white rag to buff the steel. His plain face was ruddy from standing over the fire. As Durnik lifted the plate for one last inspection, a smile of satisfaction crossed his face. He glanced over towards the Demon Lord and the smile broadened. Durnik returned, handing him the unblemished armor back. “I think it turned out rather well. Let's see how it fits.”

Sesshomaru fit it around his chest, tying it to his body. It certainly fit better than it ever had in the past, even before the demon had dented it. The smith's work was impressive indeed and the value he placed upon his work had not been simple words to appease Rin's curiosity apparently. As soon as it was secured to his chest, Durnik leaned closer, inspecting it. Sesshomaru allowed the plain man to apply the final checks on what he had done to repair the damaged plate. He said, gratitude in his voice, “This Sesshomaru much appreciates the work you have done.”

The man's cheeks flushed with color and he rubbed his hand on the back of his neck. “It wasn't anything really. I just popped all those dents back out and smoothed her over. I did reinforce it with some more steel, though. It should hold up better in battle. Let me know if you should find anything not to your liking.” His modesty confused the Demon Lord. He had seemed so exuberant about helping out earlier. Now that the work was over with, Durnik bowed his head in humility. “I had better get back to Pol.” He didn't make eye contact as he turned to leave.

Sesshomaru watched as the man made his way to the sorceress. As Sesshomaru shifted his gaze back towards the center of camp, he noticed that Rin was returning from the canopy. The dress fit her well and brushed the ground as she walked. Unlike the smock or even the night yukatas she normally wore, this dress accented the growth the young girl was experiencing. The bodice dipped slightly below her neck and the waist revealed the slight flair to her hips. It was apparent to his eyes that the girl still had much of her form to fill out as she continued to grow. Rin looked nervous as she crossed back towards him. A small blush colored the girl's cheeks and her head was down as she walked. He had to admit it was a nice dress and indeed was much better than the smock, however, she might also attract unwanted male attention while wearing it.

Rin stopped in front of him, her face flushing with color further. She whispered, “Is it okay? Do you like it, Sesshomaru-sama?”

Sesshomaru stood, looking over the dress. It was a soft brown, the skirt sweeping to hide her feet. The sleeves were long as well, the cuffs covering her petite hands. Now that she was up close, Sesshomaru noticed that strings tied the bodice shut. He was very thankful that the sorceress had made the collar rest just below her throat. He could see the chain of the amulet the wolf-woman had locked around her neck peeking above the neckline. Her hair hung loose around her face and some cast over one eye as she looked down. Tilting her chin up in his hand, he asked, “Do you, Rin?”

Rin nervously clasped her hands in front of her chest. She bit her lip. “I don't know. It's a lot better than that other thing. It's warmer.”

Sesshomaru tucked loose hair behind her ear. He said, “If it will keep you warm, then that is what matters. You should find Kagome soon so you can ride with her.” His hand fell back to his side.

Rin nodded. “Okay, Sesshomaru-sama.” She turned around to find Kagome. The entire exchange her eyes hadn't connected with his. He raised his hand, clasping one of hers into his. Rin stopped, glancing over her shoulder at him, eyes averted. Her body was tense and all of her actions had been passive. Her forehead was crinkled with worry and her mouth was drawn into a small pout. It disturbed the Demon Lord.

“Rin,” Sesshomaru whispered, “this Sesshomaru is not angry with you. You do not need to feel afraid around me.” Before they mounted their horses and continued on their way, Sesshomaru would assure Rin that she had no reason to feel uncomfortable in his presence.

The girl's nose wrinkled and Sesshomaru knew that she was thinking about his words. She slowly raised her eyes to look into his golden ones. The longer Rin held his eyes, the more relaxed she became. Her hands unclenched and the tension melted from her shoulders. A broad smile lit up her face. She hugged him tightly, resting her head onto his side. Rin whispered, “Okay, Sesshomaru-sama. I won't. Rin never wants to make Sesshomaru-sama angry.”

Sesshomaru placed his hand onto her tiny waist, pulling her closer to his chest. He moved it up to her hair, threading the thick mass in his fingers. It felt good to have her relaxing against him. All of the distance had placed unnecessary stress on their relationship. Rin sighed, the sound revealing her contentment. She snuggled closer and Sesshomaru was surprised at how much the dress accentuated her tiny frame. She was small but the dress brought this aspect out. Knowing they had to leave, Sesshomaru whispered, “Rin, go find Kagome. We should be leaving soon.”

Rin let go, pulling back. She smiled at him again, small dimples appearing at the corners of her mouth. It had been awhile since she had given him that particular smile. Hopefully now she would not act so awkward around him. “Okay, Sesshomaru-sama.” The smile faded. “May I ride my own horse, Sesshomaru-sama? It's cramped on Kagome-sama's horse.”

Sesshomaru pondered her request. He had her riding with Inuyasha's mate for her safety. It was easier to protect the pair if they rode together. Apart it might lead to attackers being able to target one of them. Kagome could defend herself long enough for Inuyasha to come. Rin, on the other hand, could not. He looked into her warm brown eyes, feeling his will begin to weaken. Yet, his common sense and need to keep her safe strengthened his resolve. As much as he wanted to please Rin, Sesshomaru also knew it was his duty to ensure her safety. He denied her request, his voice firm, “Not this time, Rin.”

Rin looked disappointed but quickly recovered. She smiled up at him before quickly hugging him once. She let go. “Okay, Sesshomaru-sama. Soon?”

“We shall see. Now go find Kagome.” Sesshomaru hated to turn down any request Rin made. She didn't make such requests often. At least he didn't pick upon any anxiety in her scent when he had rejected her desire for her own horse. Her dark eyes caught his again and a tiny smile graced her lips. She turned her back to him, crossing back towards the camp to climb onto the horse she would ride with Kagome. Sesshomaru shook his head and sighed.

Inuyasha returned, dropping the carcasses of six, large jack-rabbits. He asked, “Alright, now what do you want me to do with them?”

The thief said, “Skin them and put their hides onto an open pack horse for now. We won't put those disgusting untanned skins on until we have to enter the city.” He shuddered. “Karands. Such filthy people.”

Inuyasha nodded, quickly making work of his kills As soon as the task was done, everyone climbed onto their horses and continued on their way. The stench of the skins infested Sesshomaru's nose and he wrinkled it in disgust. What ever the spy and monk had to use them for, he could not wait for them to be disposed of. He couldn't imagine traveling for days with rotting skins. If anything, hopefully the hides would help the pair of unreliable men discover more about Naraku's plots. To get away from the smell, Sesshomaru pushed his horse to the lead, upwind from the pack horse carrying the untanned fur. Breakfast had been inadequate as it was and he had no desire to lose it. The sooner they arrived at this Rakand place, the better.



Rin kept her eyes trained upon Sesshomaru's graceful form as they galloped down the Imperial highway. Sesshomaru's platinum hair glistened in the noon sun. It flowed down his back and spilled over the sides of his horse, contrasting with the mahogany of the animal. He sat straight in his saddle, his body tense. He appeared ready to spring forth out of it at a moment's notice. On the horse Rin rode with Kagome, she struggled to ride comfortably in the saddle and she grimaced as it jarred underneath her. Rin wished her lord would have allowed her to ride her own animal. It was terribly cramped in the saddle with Kagome.

Yet, she would obey any command Sesshomaru gave her. Rin did not want to displease her lord any more than she felt she already had. No matter how many times Sesshomaru tried to reassure her that he was not angry, Rin knew deep down he was disappointed with her actions. She could recall the frown on his face and the frustration and anger in his gold eyes. Rin understood that he was not cross with her for what had happened with the amulet, but she couldn't help but feel that she had let her lord down. Rin wanted to do it over and wished she had waited to ask his permission for her new ornament.

As they continued down the straight highway, Rin pulled the amulet out again. She admired the image chiseled into its surface. As much as she regretted not acquiring her lord's approval first, each time Rin looked at the life-like image of Sesshomaru etched onto its front, she felt completed. It felt as if its cool metal should have rested at her throat her whole life. It still amazed her that anything could hold an image of her lord in such detail. The picture on it was as beautiful as her lord. It represented everything Rin admired about Sesshomaru: strength, grace, beauty, and power. She sighed as she adjusted again only to feel her legs chafe further.

Kagome rested a hand onto her waist, steadying her. Her concerned voice asked, “Are you alright, Rin-chan?”

Rin didn't turn to look back towards Kagome. She tucked her amulet back into the collar of her dress and directed her attention back to her lord. She curtly nodded her answer to Kagome, hoping it would appease her. Rin hoped they would stop soon for lunch. Her stomach rumbled and Rin felt that the breakfast of gruel had not been satisfying. She hoped they would have a nice stew of some sort when they rested. Not wanting to arouse the older woman's concern, Rin replied, “I'm just hungry, Kagome-sama.”

“Me too. I know we're going to stop very soon, okay?” Kagome gripped the reigns on their horse tighter into her hands. “I know it's cramped sharing a horse like this, but Sesshomaru just wants you to be safe.”

Rin bowed her head as they continued. She knew that her lord only looked out for her welfare. Sesshomaru had done so ever since she had awoken to see his face after the dreadful attack by the wolves. Ever since then, the Demon Lord had gone out of his way to ensure not just her safety, but also her comfort. She had not wanted for anything since becoming a ward to her lord. He had always been tender with her, although she knew he could be ruthless towards his enemies. When her lord had acted in such a manner, it had often been because he had felt a need to protect her. Rin whispered, “I know, Kagome-sama.”

The horses in front of them slowed to a trot before stopping all together. Rin sighed in gratitude. Finally she could get off the horse. Her legs ached and she was tired of feeling cramped. She was thankful that her time of bleeding had passed, although riding the horse still provided discomfort. Kagome slid down first with Inuyasha's aid. Once she was out of the saddle, Inuyasha looked up at Rin. He crossed his arms and his gruff voice asked,“Oi, pup, you wanna get down?”

Rin nodded. She felt Inuyasha's arm circle her waist and she put her arms around his neck so he could guide her down to the ground. Once she was standing on her feet, Rin let go and stretched by lifting her arms above her head. “Thank-you, Inuyasha-sama.” As she lowered them again, her eyes met Sesshomaru's. Quickly, Rin broke the contact and glanced towards the ground. Rin fingered the chain around her neck as she heard his foot steps approach.

Belgarath roused from his doze. He said, “We'll set up camp here for the night. Silk, are you heading to Rakand, then?”

The spy nodded. “We'll go into the city and be back perhaps around nightfall. It might take awhile to find out anything. It depends how riled up the Karands are about the demons.”

“Don't do anything to attract the attention of a magician. Just get a basic idea and get back out. The last thing you want is to become some snack for a demon.” The old man glared at him. “I mean it, Silk, no unnecessary side trips.”

Silk winked. The rat-faced man let a devious smile cross his lips. “You can trust me, old friend. I'll find out exactly what the Karands are up to.”

Belgarath threw his hands up into the air. He rolled his eyes. “Why does everyone say that to me? Silk, just go already. You've got a tendency to set my teeth on edge.” He muttered to himself as he wandered away from the horses.

Silk's nose twitched and he grabbed the untanned hides. His eyes narrowed in disgust. “Well, monk, shall we?”

Miroku nodded from atop his horse. He said, “Certainly.”

Silk pulled another pack from a horse. “Here. You'll change into these when we reach the outskirts of the city.” He handed it to the monk and Miroku strapped it to the back of his horse. The spy climbed back into the saddle. The two of them turned their horses towards Rakand. The thief said, “We'll be back soon, Belgarath.” They galloped away, leaving the rest to set up the camp.

Sesshomaru joined Rin by the horse. His smooth voice cut into the silence that settled over the camp as tents were staked, “Rin.”

Raising her gaze to meet his, Rin asked, “Yes, Sesshomaru-sama?”

He offered his hand to her and Rin took it. Sesshomaru squeezed it gently, the roughness of his palm oddly comforting. She followed her lord across the grass, her other hand lifting her skirt so as not to trip. He led her towards the center of camp where Durnik was busy preparing a cooking fire for Polgara. Sesshomaru stopped, letting go. He eased himself to sit down. Rin attempted to follow suit, only to catch her foot on the hem of her new dress. She careened forward, her hands thrust out in front of her. Rin squeezed her eyes shut, waiting for the impact with the dirt. Instead, she felt Sesshomaru's strong shoulder under her cheek and his arm around her waist. She wrapped her arms around his back, steadying herself. Rin blushed, pulling away. She mumbled, “Sorry, Sesshomaru-sama. I didn't mean to.” Rin scrambled to sit down, keeping her gaze on the ground.

A soft laugh reached her ears and Rin lifted her head, looking at her lord. She was amazed to see an amused smile rested on his lips and that his golden eyes snapped with mirth. Sesshomaru shifted to sit next to her. He pulled her closer and Rin rested her head onto his shoulder, embarrassed at her blunder. He whispered, “Rin, do not be embarrassed.”

Rin wrapped her arms around him, hiding her flushed face into his fur. She slipped into his lap, curling up into it. Rin replied, her tone injured, “You're laughing at Rin, Sesshomaru-sama.”

His quiet voice was serious, although Rin caught the slight edge, “What makes you think this Sesshomaru would laugh at Rin?”

Rin felt her cheeks grow hotter. She nuzzled her nose under his chin. A quiet laugh escaped her throat before she started to giggle. “I guess it was funny.” Sesshomaru's hand rubbed her back before he rested it onto her waist. Rin sat up, looking into his amused gold eyes. “It's still mean of Sesshomaru-sama to laugh at Rin.”

“Did you not ask this Sesshomaru why he does not laugh once? Did you not want to see me laugh?” His lips upturned into another smile.

Rin wrinkled her nose. Somehow she felt he was still teasing her. She had asked him this question. It was true, she had wanted to see him laugh. Her eyes narrowed as she noticed the mischief hiding in her lord's eyes. “Rin does want to see Sesshomaru-sama laugh, but not at Rin's expense. That's not very nice of Sesshomaru-sama.”

Another low chuckle emitted from Sesshomaru's throat. He placed a chaste kiss on her forehead before he pulled her closer into a hug. Rin snuggled to him. He asked, “When those other sorcerers touched your amulet, what did you see?” Rin sat up and noticed that the humor in his eyes had disappeared and that the typical sober expression had crossed his face again.

Rin mulled over her lord's question. She bit her lip before saying, “I saw this room in a tower with a fire that had no wood burning in it. There was this old man who sat at a table who seemed to look at me. He seemed oddly familiar but I couldn't place exactly where I had seen him before. He looked very wise and kind.” It had been strange when the other sorcerers had touched her amulet. The man had seemed so familiar and yet she couldn't quite place him. He had been old with a long, flowing white beard. A long, sweeping blue robe had adorned his body. Most of what she had felt when she had seen the elderly man had been a strange love. Rin felt that she could trust this man. Looking down at the ground again, Rin said, “It felt so odd.” She glanced up, noticing that his eyes were narrowed in thought.

Sesshomaru's brow furrowed briefly. He said, “You will start your lesson with the wolf-woman soon.”

Rin nodded. “Yes. Poledra-sama told me that we would after lunch. Is this alright, Sesshomaru-sama?”

“Yes.” He glanced at the camp over her head, his gold eyes serious. She hoped she had not displeased her lord again. He looked down at her before running his hand over her back. Sesshomaru leaned forward, resting his cheek onto her hair. “It's fine, Rin.”

Rin climbed back out of his lap to sit next to him as she noticed that lunch was ready. She gratefully accepted the roast meat being offered. It was much more satisfying than the gruel from the morning. She ate it slowly, not wanting to get any on her skirt. It tasted sweet and tangy and she savored it. As she finished the hunk of meat she had been given, she licked her fingers clean. After the long ride it felt good to have a nice meal. Satisfied, Rin waited for her lord and Poledra so she could begin her lesson.

Poledra smiled at them from across the fire. She stood, crossing camp and sat down. Rin noticed that her lord's expression had become grim and his eyes wary. His body had become stiff as he regarded the wolf-woman. Poledra tilted her head towards Sesshomaru in acknowledgment as he continued to eat a second helping of the roasted meat. “One has always wondered why humans feel it necessary to burn their meat, but it is satisfying none the less.”

Sesshomaru continued to eat, his golden eyes connecting with Poledra's. When he was was finished he tossed the bone away into the grass. Sesshomarus asked, “Wolf-woman, are you here to teach Rin?”

A gentle smile graced Poledra's lips. She said, “Yes. I am.” She smoothed her brown dress out and her gold eyes glanced over the two of them. “Perhaps we should go apart from the others in camp.” She stood, crossing the grass towards a secluded area off the road. Sesshomaru followed the sorceress, his hand keeping a tight grip on Rin's. Poledra stopped, glancing over her shoulder. She said,“One is pleased to see you, as her pack leader, involved with Rin's lessons.”

Sesshomaru sat down and crossed his legs. Rin followed suit, pulling the skirt over her legs to keep warm. She ran her fingers through the grass, waiting for Poledra to begin. Sesshomaru said, “Before you begin, I would like an explanation of everything you are requiring Rin to learn.”

Poledra smiled, mirth dancing in her eyes. “We'll do this as we go. First, we're going to start with translocation. Because it was her first act, it seems a proper place to begin. Rin is going to translocate some objects. What that means, essentially, is that she will use her Will to make an object move from one place to another. She won't use any of her physical strength to do this. It will be done through the power of her mind alone.” Her expression grew serious as she continued her explanation. “It will also train her to muffle the sound she makes when she exercises her Will.”

Sesshomaru narrowed his eyes, small wrinkles appearing in his forehead as he thought about what the wolf-woman had said. He seemed to be puzzling out the logistics of her explanation. His mouth drew into a tight line and he looked down at the grass. Sesshomaru looked back up at Poledra. He asked, “She will be using her mind to move objects? I do not quite understand.”

“Yes. The first time she used her Will, she translocated herself out of danger. I want her to be able to control that. It is normally one of the first things one learns. Essentially I'm going to teach her how to use her mind rather than her back. This will also help her to muffle the noise. I must say, she was rather loud.” Poledra stood, pointing towards a small boulder in the grass. “We'll start with this.” She turned towards Rin and her gold eyes bore into Rin's brown ones. Rin felt a small surge and heard a soft whisper. “Okay, Rin, I'm going to show you how to translocate this rock, okay?”

Rin nodded. She felt a strange pull. Her eyes fell closed and inside her mind, Rin saw the rock disappear and then reappear slightly to the right of its previous location. When she opened her eyes, she noticed that Poledra's expression had become strained. She asked, “Poledra-sama, what is that strange pull?”

Poledra gritted her teeth. She said, “I am gathering my Will. To do that, I pull in the energy from everything around me. It is how we use our Will. Now, watch carefully.” She turned her golden gaze towards the rock and spoke a soft word: “Shift.”

The rock moved as it had in the vision of her mind. It shifted from its original spot, moving to rest ten feet to the right. Rin's eyes went wide. “You want me to move it like that?” She felt dubious about the task. How could she possibly be strong enough to move this rock? It looked to be much heavier than herself and she wasn't certain at all about how to accomplish such a feat. “How, Poledra-sama? How do I move the rock?”

Poledra smiled, siting back down across from her and Sesshomaru. She explained, “First gather your Will. You pull in a little energy from everything around you and when you have an idea of what you want in your mind, you push that energy back on one focused spot such as the rock. Do you understand?”

Rin bit her lip as she glanced towards the boulder. She looked towards her lord, attempting to find some reassurance. His gold eyes were guarded and his form tense. He reached his hand out, grasping hers tightly. Rin took a deep breath, closing her eyes. She squeezed his hand. Rin felt something begin to slowly build within her and a tightness at the back of her skull. It felt like she was tugging on a force from everything around her. Gritting her teeth, Rin felt the energy swell inside. Her body tingled all over and the hairs on the back of her neck stood on end. She asked, attempting to keep a tight control of the power threating to spill forth, “Poledra-sama, now what?”

Poledra said, “Now, Rin, dear, you'll want to push at the rock and everything behind you simultaneously. You're only trying to move this rock a few feet, not miles. You also don't want to move yourself all the way to the mountains of Zamad. That's why you reinforce yourself. Do you follow that?”

Rin clenched her hand into a tight fist and gripped Sesshomaru's hand firmly. She nodded. “I think so.”

“Then focus your Will onto the rock and speak your word of choice. It does not matter what word. Any word will do.” Poledra smiled. “You can do this, Rin. You're doing just fine. Use your amulet if you feel a need to better channel your Will.”

Rin raised her free hand to the pendant at her throat and crushed it around the metal. Instantly, the building power within her intensified and revolved around a focal point: the boulder in the grass. She saw in her mind the rock shift ten feet to the right. She imagined the boulder following suit outside of her mind, and selected a word: “Move.”

At the utterance of that word, Rin felt the energy flow out in a focused line. The surging power expelled itself and centered on the rock. Rin felt behind her a strange force bracing her as the one revolving on the rock coursed out from her body. The large brown rock moved as if on its own. It shifted across the ground slowly before resting ten feet from its previous location. Exhaustion swept over her and Rin leaned against Sesshomaru. He supported her with his arm, pulling her to his side.

Poledra smiled. “Good. You did that very well, Rin. You also were much quieter when you did it. You learn quickly. This is good.”

Sesshomaru tensed next to her. Rin sat up, looking at him. Her lord blinked before looking from the rock to her. His gold eyes were wide with astonishment. He didn't speak, but his hand squeezed hers a little tighter. Rin hoped that she hadn't upset her lord. She knew that she had to learn how to use this power, but Rin also struggled with her need to please Sesshomaru, as well. She sat, catching her breath after gathering in such immense power and releasing it in such a tight center. Her eyes fell closed as she breathed deeply and she felt Sesshomaru's arm draw her to his side again.

Poledra's voice brought her back to the outside world. “Now, I'd like to teach you something you can practice while we're not holding lessons. It will help you acquire endurance.” She leveled her serious gold eyes onto Sesshomaru. “Sesshomaru, I am going to teach her how to make a small ball of energy. It can come in handy for her in the future if she can have some sort of weapon to protect herself. It will be a small projectile that once she learns can be used at any time. As her pack leader, do you understand and agree to this lesson?”

Sesshomaru cleared his throat. “This Sesshomaru does understand. Do what you must to instruct Rin.”

Poledra nodded. She smiled in Rin's direction. “Okay, Rin, we'll learn how to make a small energy ball.” Again, Rin saw inside her mind an image. This time she saw a small, blue ball of energy resting in an open palm. She opened her eyes to see Poledra's expression become strained. A slight tug reached Rin and a soft hush filled her mind. In Poledra's outstretched palm rested a small orb of blue fire. It crackled and burned brightly in the wolf-woman's palm. “This can be thrown and when you have learned how to master it, you will be able to create it quickly. It's not like creation, which is something we'll learn another time. What you're doing is channeling the energy around you into heat that will burn your opponent but not you. You're pulling the heat from the air, ground, and various other sources around you.”

Rin stared in wonder at the strange blue flames. They flickered and danced harmlessly on the palm of the sorceress. Hesitant to mimic the feat, Rin asked, “Rin will be able to do this?”

“Yes, Rin. It's a rather simple trick, but we must all learn how to control our Will with these simple tasks before we can even attempt to accomplish the more complex.” She glanced back towards the rock. “Would you like to see what happens when you throw your energy in this form?”

Rin bit her lip. She looked down at the grass. “Yes, Poledra-sama.”

Poledra stood, directing her attention again to the rock. She hurled the energy in her hand at it, shattering the rock into several pieces. She sat back down. “As I explained to you when I gave you your amulet, you must never destroy things. What I have done to the rock is change its form. It still exists, but not as it had before. Remember, you must never say “be not” or “cease” because if you do, your Will will recoil on you and destroy you.” She sat back down. “Do you think you can try to make the blue energy for me?”

Rin lifted her hand up, looking at her tiny palm. She wasn't certain if she could possibly manage to duplicate what the wolf-woman had. Then again, she had moved the rock and Rin had not been certain if she could do that, either. Rin nodded. “I will try.” She closed her eyes again, feeling the slow build of power enter her body and a strange pull on the back of her mind. She tingled with the energy and she envisioned in her mind a blue ball of fire sitting in her palm. She said, unsure of what word to choose, “Fire.” Unlike when Poledra had executed the feat, Rin's hand was now encased in a strange blue flame. It did not burn and it did not hurt. Rin stared at it in fascination. She held up her hand, looking at it.

Poledra nodded. “Yes, you did it a little differently, but it is very similar. You can use that energy any way you can imagine. If you want to use it the way I had by throwing it, you can. If you want to use it in a different way, you can. It all comes down to what any individual can imagine.”

Rin continued to look at the blue fire surrounding her hand. She listened carefully to what Poledra said. Anything she could imagine could now be done with this energy fluctuating around her hand. She imagined the blue fire imitating the whip her lord had often used. Noticing that another small rock rested not far away, Rin lashed at it with the blue light surrounding her hand by flicking her wrist. The image in her mind flowed into reality and she sliced the rock in half with the blue whip she had formed from her mind. Rin let the fire die around her hand and she looked at the pale skin of it in awe. Had she really done that to the rock?

She lifted her gaze to look up at Sesshomaru. His eyes were wide with shock and his mouth hung open slightly as he looked at her. Rin again drew in her Will, igniting the strange blue light around her hand. She flipped her hand over, looking at the blue fire and then extinguished it. Looking towards Poledra, Rin asked, “How was that?”

“You learn very fast. You grasped that very easily. One wonders why you chose a whip, however.” Poledra's eyes snapped with amusement. “It seems an odd choice. Most choose to throw it.”

Rin looked back at her lord before resting her gaze onto the lush grass. “It was what I saw in my mind so it is what I did.” She clutched her hands into her lap, not wanting to see Sesshomaru's expression. She knew he must have been upset. His body was tense and he had yet to speak. “Is it bad?”

Poledra said, “No, dear. It's just fine. I think that's all we'll attempt for one day. Do practice some of what I have taught you. You grasp simple matters well.” She leaned forward, gripping Rin's chin into her hand. “The Master will be pleased with your progress, Rin. You may have only learned two things today, but you have shown how well you can learn in a quick amount of time. We'll learn more tomorrow before my mate says we should continue on our way.”

Rin watched as the wolf-woman stood up. She walked away from the pair, leaving Sesshomaru and Rin alone. Silence fell over them and Rin felt tense. She hoped she hadn't upset her lord further. Rin felt she already had to make up to him for not asking his permission for the amulet at her throat. Now what she had learned in these lessons must have disturbed him. She asked, her voice soft and uncertain, “Sesshomaru-sama?”

Sesshomaru roused from his stupor. He glanced at her, a profound confusion in his eyes. He moved closer, taking her hand back into his. “Rin.”

“Are you angry?” Rin looked at his large hand as it hid hers. She didn't want to see the disappointment in his eyes. His clawed hand gently squeezed hers. “Rin doesn't want Sesshomaru-sama to be angry with her.”

“No, Rin. I am not angry with you.” His voice was soft. Sesshomaru let go of her hand, tilting her face up to look at him. “Why did you really choose to do what you did with that blue light?” His gold eyes were awed and puzzled.

Rin kept her gaze on his. She said, “I thought about what you can do, Sesshomaru-sama. It came to mind so I thought I would try and see if I could do something like it. Poledra-sama said I could do anything I imagined with it. Do you not like it? Rin will never do it again if Sesshomaru-sama does not like it.”

Sesshomaru firmly gripped her chin in his hand. He shook his head. “You do not need to apologize to me. You were only doing as the wolf-woman taught. You have learned well so far.” He let go, his hand falling to his side. “This Sesshomaru was only curious as to why you would choose such a manner to use the energy.”

Rin absentmindedly fingered the skirt she wore. “I have?”

“Yes.” He shifted his gaze towards the ground as he thought. After silence had settled over the pair for a time, Sesshomaru looked back up and asked, “Might you show this Sesshomaru again?”

Rin looked down at her clasped hands in her lap. She looked back up towards her lord. Rin whispered, “Only if Sesshomaru-sama wants me to.”

“I do.” Sesshomaru's gold eyes fixed upon her brown. “Will you?”

Rin glanced around the small field and she saw another boulder not far from the one that Poledra had shattered. Rin lifted her hand back up, forming an image of it covered by the blue fire in her mind. She began to pull the energy from around her into her body, clenching her teeth as it built slowly. Rin said, “Fire.” After the word had been spoken, her hand ran with the blue flames again. Rin stood, clenching that hand into a fist.

She looked towards Sesshomaru for reassurance. His gold eyes watched her with wonder. Rin turned her attention back towards the rock she had picked out. She pulled her fist closer to her chest before flicking her wrist. Much as before, the blue fire lashed out at the rock, cleanly slicing it in half. She retracted the energy, letting the fire expire from around her hand. Rin sat back down, feeling drained from using her power. It was exhausting to draw in such energy from around her and then release it in such a focal point. Rin asked, “How was that?”

Sesshomaru moved to sit by her and he grasped the hand that had been encased by the fire a moment ago, examining it. He ran his clawed fingers gently over the palm. He said, his eyes focused on her hand, “You did well, Rin.” He fell silent, interlacing his fingers with hers. Sesshomaru furrowed his brow and pursed his lips. He asked, his voice uncertain, “What does it feel like?”

Rin scooted closer to Sesshomaru, resting her head onto his shoulder. He pulled her into his lap, holding her. Rin thought a moment about the question he had asked. “It feels like all this power is being drawn into me and if I don't let it go it'll tear me apart. It tingles all over and there is this pulling on my mind. And then after I let it go, I feel exhausted.”

“And the fire?” His silver hair hung down past her, shrouding the world from her view. “Does it burn?”

“No. It doesn't burn. It feels like this tingling all over my hand.” Rin snuggled up to his chest, hugging him. A massive yawn escaped her. “Rin is very tired, Sesshomaru-sama.”

Sesshomaru rubbed her back with his hand. He nuzzled his nose into her hair. “Rest, then, Rin.”

She closed her eyes, burying her face into his fur. Another yawn overcame her. She replied, “Yes, Sesshomaru-sama.” She felt her tired mind and body slowly fall into sleep and the strong body of her lord support her as she drifted. It had been strenuous to do the things Poledra had taught her this afternoon. Now all she wanted was to sit with her lord and rest. Rin knew she was safe as long as he was with her. A small smile crossed her lips as she settled further into his lap, letting the world fade away around her.