Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Forty-Seven ( Chapter 47 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Forty-Seven

Kagome leaned against Inuyasha, her head resting on his shoulder. His arm held her waist and his claws traced in random designs across her stomach. Her eyes fluttered shut and Kagome sighed in contentment, burrowing her face into the crook of his neck. She brushed her cheek against the silkiness of his silver hair. Kagome whined, “It's not fair.”

Inuyasha pulled her closer. He whispered into her ear, concern filling his rough voice,“What's wrong, Kagome? What's not fair?”

Kagome hugged him, running her hand across his firm chest. She played with his hair, twirling a few locks around her fingers. She made her mouth into a pout and grumbled, “Your hair is softer and prettier than mine. It's just not fair.” Inuyasha smelled of sweat and musk and Kagome inhaled deeply, drinking in his reassuring scent.

Inuyasha grunted. “Feh. What's gotten into you, wench?” He pulled away and looked down at the ground, a blush covering his cheeks. A tiny smile crossed his lips, making him appear boyish. “Oi, my hair is not pretty. I don't know what you're talking about. You must need more sleep, woman.”

Kagome hid a sly smile behind her hand, before leaning over to kiss the tip of one white triangle. Inuyasha shuddered under her touch and flattened his ear. Kagome's voice became a throaty whisper as she breathed against it,“You also have these adorable fuzzy ears.”

Inuyasha turned towards her, his gold eyes wide and his mouth agape. His cheeks tinted pink. “Oi, wench, not in front of everyone.” He drew his lips into a pout and wrinkled his brows. Her hanyou fidgeted, trying to cover up how flustered his body had become from her soft touches.

She shook her head in disbelief. Kagome couldn't understand why Inuyasha acted so shy. Hadn't he done such sensual things with that very same pouting mouth the night before? His fangs had dragged across her skin; his tongue had tasted it in a torturous motion. A blush tinged her cheeks at the memory. Kagome leaned forward, kissing his forehead. “I need to take a bath. I'll go ask Lady Polgara if she can set one up. Try not to get into too much trouble while I'm gone, alright?”

Inuyasha snorted. He averted his eyes away from her and flinched, quickly crossing his legs. “Feh. Whatever, woman. Just go take your bath already.”

Kagome giggled. “Oh Inuyasha, what will I do with you.” She kissed his cheek, catching the desire pooling in the golden depths of his eyes. Kagome looked away, scanning the camp for the sorceress. It would be best to get to the tub. The predatory gleam in Inuyasha's eyes meant if she didn't go now she might not make it at all. Polgara sat by another small fire, mending a torn tunic. The white lock in her hair took on a ruddy cast. Kagome crossed towards her. “Lady Polgara, may I take a bath?”

Polgara's violet eyes fixated on her. “Certainly, dear. It's been set up for some time. It's just over there on the right.” She pointed in the direction Kagome should take. “Enjoy yourself, Kagome, dear.”

“Thanks.” Kagome looked towards Inuyasha. His eyes were locked on her, the gold swirling with confusion and lust. He turned his back on her roughly, staring up at the sky. Kagome shook her head and sighed. She crossed the grass to where the tub stood, ready for use. She untied the strings on the bodice of her dress.

A splash could be heard, indicating someone was already in the tub. Kagome looked up to see that Sango and Shippo lounged in the warm water. Sango sat with her eyes closed, the water up to her chin. The little boy swam in lazy circles. Yet, before Kagome could join them, Shippo said, “That bump Miroku gave me last night still hurts. He hits as hard as Inuyasha. Why did he hit me anyways? I didn't do anything wrong.”

Kagome noticed that Sango's cheeks flushed with color. Her eyes snapped open, glaring at the fox child. Apparently something had happened between the monk and demon slayer. A wide, playful smile flickered across Kagome's lips. Perhaps Kagome and her hanyou weren't the only ones in need of some time alone. A blush tinted Kagome's cheeks, thankful that Shippo hadn't interrupted them instead. She remembered watching through hooded eyes as Inuyasha removed her socks with his fangs and the feel of his rough tongue on her toes. There would have been no end to the embarrassment if Shippo had burst in upon that scene.

Sango's clipped voice broke into Kagome's thoughts. “Why are you asking me? I don't know why that pervert does anything.” She turned her nose up in the air.

Shippo crossed his arms over his bare chest and glared at the water, his mouth drawn into a pout. His bushy tail twitched, making ripples in the bath. He continued on as if Sango hadn't replied, “He was a big meanie, just like Inuyasha. Speaking of him, Inuyasha takes up all of Kagome's time and I hardly get to see her at all. It's not fair.”

Kagome sighed inwardly. She felt bad that she couldn't spend more time with the little boy. Lately, so much had happened between Kagome and her mate that she just hadn't had much time to devote to Shippo. She shook her head, snippets of the conversation she'd shared with Inuyasha the night before filtering through her mind. It had been hard for her to admit that she didn't trust him when the truth about her time had been exposed. Kagome had trusted Inuyasha with everything since releasing him from the tree. From then on, she had fought by his side against Naraku. But when it had come to her own era, she had let her modern ideals get in the way of what really mattered.

The water splashed the sides of the tub as Sango moved. “Well Shippo, they're mates now so that means they spend a lot more time together. Kagome still loves you. Inuyasha just wants to spend a lot of time with her to keep her safe.”

Kagome pulled the dress off of her shoulders and let it pool around her feet, disrobing as if in a trance. What Sango said sunk in and Kagome felt more guilt for letting foolish pride get in the way, making her oblivious to Inuyasha's true intentions. Kagome hadn't wanted to appear weak or that she needed his protection all the time. She'd wanted to show him that she was capable of protecting herself, and instead had hurt her hanyou deeply. She had mistaken his protectiveness as a drive to be the dominant figure in their relationship.

Shippo splashed as he dunked under the water. When he resurfaced, his face broke into a wide smile as he caught sight of her. “Kagome! Are you here to join us?” He lurched forward until he reached the tub's side. Shippo's tail bobbed behind him and he waved at her.

Kagome blinked, emerging from her stupor. She flashed him a smile. “Sure thing. I need to take a bath. I need to get all this dust out of my hair.”

Sango scooted over in the tub, making room. “Come on in, Kagome.”

Kagome finished undressing and climbed over the tub edge. She let the warm water settle around her as she adjusted to sit comfortably. Kagome dunked her head under the water, saturating her hair. Once she reemerged, she sat back, relaxing. Kagome glanced towards Sango and saw that a blush still tinted her friend's cheeks. She asked after a moment of awkward silence, “So, how long do you think it'll take for Miroku and Silk to come back?”

Sango snorted. “Depends on how many women the lecher asks to bear his children this time.” She rinsed her hair and splashed water over her face. Kagome noticed the worried frown on her friend's lips and the tension in her voice, betraying the demon slayer's distress. Sango tensed her shoulders, crossing her arms over her chest.

Shippo propelled himself across the water, latching onto Kagome's neck. His emerald eyes whirled with curiosity as he asked, “Where were you and Inuyasha this morning, anyways? I looked all over and I couldn't find you.”

Kagome nibbled on her lower lip, heat rushing into her cheeks. She stuttered, unsure of how to answer the fox boy's question without revealing too much about what had transpired between her and her mate. Mate. The very word evoked powerful emotions such as love, security, and desire. Kagome was Inuyasha's mate. Inuyasha was Kagome's mate. As she struggled to formulate an answer to Shippo, she pondered what being a mate exactly meant. Kagome knew that being mates meant that the couple had made love. Beyond that she couldn't place an exact definition on the term. Kagome smiled weakly. A nervous laugh escaped her throat. “We went for a walk, that's all.”

Sango's frown increased and she turned dubious brown eyes in Kagome's direction. She looked out towards camp. “Sunset is near.”

Kagome gazed up towards the sky. Wispy clouds streaked across it in pale reds and purples. A dark bank loomed above, promising a storm. Kagome looked back into Shippo's eyes and pried his arms from around her neck. Shippo sat down next to her in the tub. Kagome sighed and said, “Hopefully they'll arrive before dark.”

Sango's eyes scanned their surroundings. The taller girl's frame was tense and worry creased Sango's forehead. She muttered, “That monk can protect himself. He'll be just fine. He's probably too busy asking every woman he can to bear his children, anyways.”

Kagome hid a wicked grin behind her hand as Sango struggled to hide her love for Miroku. As many times as Miroku had asked women to bear his children, Kagome had yet to see him be serious about the venture. Her smile became a frown as she remembered the pained look in Inuyasha's eyes when he believed she didn't want children. She felt uncertain about what he expected from her as his mate. He had looked so defeated, his ears down and a tight frown on his face. Kagome knew that she was not ready and that neither was Inuyasha. Perhaps it was one of the things that Inuyasha expected of her. What else did he require from her?

Shippo's alarmed voice brought her abruptly from her insights. He cried out, climbing back into her lap,“Kagome, why do you have bite marks on your neck? Are you okay?” The little boy reached a tiny hand out to touch her throat.

Kagome blushed. She placed her fingers at her neck, feeling the tender flesh. She could remember how it felt to have Inuyasha hold her by her throat. His fangs had gently sunk into the column of her throat as his hips crashed into hers. In that position, her mate had all the control, and as she thought back to it, Kagome had enjoyed being dominated by Inuyasha. There was no way she could possibly explain the origin of these bruises and bites without raising further embarrassing questions from the fox. Kagome rushed out, “Um, they're nothing, Shippo. You don't need to worry about them.”

Shippo's green eyes became concerned. He turned towards Sango, pleading silently with his eyes for her to help him. Kagome smiled wanly at her friend, hoping Sango would get the message that it was best not to ask. Sango nodded, quickly commenting, “Shippo, didn't you make a drawing earlier today you were telling me about? Why don't you tell Kagome?”

Her plan seemed to have worked as the kit smiled wide, revealing his tiny fangs. He began to babble about the drawings of Inuyasha, Kagome and himself. Kagome half-listened to the child's enthusiastic descriptions, nodding at the appropriate moments. More thoughts swirled through her mind, tugging to get her attention. She understood that Inuyasha had asked for submission at times. Her modern, feminist perceptions of the world had rejected this behavior and her pride had been offended. Yet, as she drifted in the bath, Kagome grasped that when he had pinned her against the tree, ordering her to obey his demand not to talk to Belgarath, that he had acted this way out of love and a need to protect her. She had misinterpreted these intentions, believing that Inuyasha viewed her as weak and helpless. Kagome couldn't believe she had ever thought that her Inuyasha would ever consider her nothing more than a pitiful woman.

Shippo's hand waved in front of her face. He demanded, his voice sullen, “Kagome, are you even listening to me? Are you okay?” He pushed closer into her face, tears standing in his eyes. “You've been very quiet.”

Kagome shook her head. She gave him a small hug. “I'm just tired. It's been a long past couple of days. Why don't you tell me more about these drawings?”

Shippo hugged her back. He nodded his head vigorously. “Okay. Well, I made this one drawing of you and me and Inuyasha. We're back in Kaede's hut. Inuyasha's sitting with his arms crossed looking at us. You're hugging me.” A frown clouded his face. “Do you think we'll ever see Kaede again?”

Kagome sighed. “I'm sure we'll find a way home again eventually.” Home. Another word, like mate, that brought forth strong emotions: security, safety, belonging. Kagome didn't think of her era as home anymore. It hadn't been since she'd released Inuyasha from the Sacred Tree and embarked on the quest to recover the jewel shards. Yet, she had often returned to her era when she felt she needed a sanctuary from the grim realities of the feudal era. So many vicious battles between demons or humans had resulted in unnecessary death. Disease was wide spread, lacking any modern remedies. Prejudices pervaded with no attempts at tolerance being made. So many of these things caused Kagome to long for modern ideals and conveniences.

Now that she couldn't simply jump down the well and run to her mother, Kagome had been left to figure things out as they came. There was no well to escape into. Perhaps this was a blessing. Kagome began to see that she had made strides with Inuyasha, ones that might have never been if she had the ability to return home. She and Inuyasha may have never made love and become mates if the well had been in reach. Her home was with Inuyasha, no matter where that may be.

Sango's stern voice pulled Kagome from her thoughts. She commented, “Shippo, why don't you go and see if that lecher has come back.” A grim scowl marred the demon slayer's features.

Shippo protested, “But I never get to see Kagome---” He backed down when Sango glared at him. Shippo held his head down as he exited the tub, drying himself off with a towel Kagome had brought back from her era. He pulled his clothes back on and scampered away.

Sango asked, “Alright, Kagome, mind telling me why you're distracted tonight? Are you sure you're alright?”

Kagome absentmindedly ran her hand through the water, grasping the soap. She lazily washed her arms, trying to find an answer that would appease her friend. “I'm just tired, that's all. I didn't sleep well last night.” For emphasis, a large yawn erupted from her.

“Are you sure that's it, Kagome?” Sango's expression became stern. Her eyes focused on her neck, her brows knitting in worry. “Inuyasha didn't hurt you again, did he?”

Kagome felt her entire face flush with color. She shook her head forcefully. “No! It's not like that at all. Inuyasha would never hurt me.” As she thought about Sango's accusation, Kagome's eyes went wide. She rubbed the tender skin of her throat. It explained why he had made love to her the way he had the night before. His instincts, as a half dog demon, demanded that she submit and it had been his way of acquiring that submission. The events of the past few months became clear. It had been his instincts that had driven everything he had done, from taking her as his mate to the way he acted towards the others, especially his brother.

Sango placed a hand onto her shoulder, gently shaking her. Her brown eyes were troubled. Her voice pleaded, “Kagome, talk to me. You've been so quiet and distracted. What is wrong?”

Kagome sighed. “I'm fine. I'm just thinking about some things, that's all. Don't worry about me, okay?”

Sango looked dubious as her frown increased and her nose crinkled. “Okay, Kagome, but you know you can tell me anything, right?”

“I know I can.” Silence settled over them. As she watched the slayer, she noticed that Sango continued to gaze into camp and mutter to herself about the monk. Kagome smiled slyly at Sango. Curiosity got the best of her and Kagome asked, “So why did Miroku hit Shippo, anyways?”

Sango bit her lip and color filled her cheeks. “I don't know.”

“Oh come on, Sango. Something happened between the two of you, didn't it?” Kagome waggled her eyebrows suggestively.

“No!” Sango's entire face became red. She splashed as she crossed her arms. “Nothing happened!”

Kagome laughed. “What ever you say, Sango.” The way her friend reacted to her comments meant that something must have happened. She yawned and closed her eyes.

Sango put a hand onto her shoulder. “You sure you're alright?”

Kagome opened an eye. “Yeah. I'm just tired. I think I need to relax a little before bed.”

“Alright, I'm going to see if anyone's heard anything. Come find me if you need anything.” Sango stood, climbing out of the tub. Rivulets of water ran down the side of her face from her hair. Sango used the towel to dry off before she pulled her slayer outfit back on. She eased into her travel dress over that. The demon slayer turned, following the path Shippo had only a little bit before.

Kagome relaxed back into the water. Silence settled over her, all save for the soft splashes as she washed. She sighed, closing her eyes. A small throb announced itself in her right temple and she massaged it. Maybe she was over analyzing all of these things. After all, all that really mattered was that she loved Inuyasha and that he loved her.

A twig snapped and Kagome cracked one eye open. Rin stood before the tub, her face tired and her brown eyes weary. She struggled with the knots on her bodice as her fingers fumbled to pull them loose. Rin shrugged her shoulders out of the material and entered the tub, slowly sitting down. Shock crossed her face, her eyes wide and her mouth agape. Rin stood, splashing water over the side. She bowed, muttering, “Sorry, Kagome-sama. I didn't know you were here. I should have asked first.”

Kagome scooted over for the young girl. She smiled, waving her hand to indicate that she wanted the girl to stay. “You don't have to go, Rin. I'd love the company.” She caught Rin's arm. The young girl bowed her head, settling back into the water as far away as she could. As Kagome observed her, she noticed Rin's submissive nature to her elders, and Kagome knew it must have been something Sesshomaru had unconsciously ingrained into the child. As Rin had grown up around the Demon Lord, she must have acquired the instincts of his kind by imitation and observation. Rin kept her eyes cast away as she adjusted in the bath. The little girl's demeanor brought back the conversation the old sorcerer had with Sesshomaru after he had awoken. Belgarath had mentioned that they should form a large pack. The old sorcerer must have been talking to the two brothers, using terms they understood.

Rin wordlessly dunked her head under the water before relaxing against the tub side. As the little girl settled back further, soft moonlight reflected off the disc at her throat. It glinted, drawing Kagome's attention. As Rin sat motionless, Kagome noticed the image carved on its front. She gasped softly. It was an image of Sesshomaru transformed into his true form. How anyone could have so accurately represented the Demon Lord on the amulet around Rin's neck baffled her. Kagome couldn't imagine where she had gotten it. A large yawn escaped Rin and Kagome noticed that the tiny girl looked worn out and her face taut. Rin looked out towards the camp, her eyes searching. She muttered under her breath, “Rin will be waiting for you, Sesshomaru-sama.”

Kagome moved closer to Rin, resting a hand onto petite girl's exhausted shoulder. “Are you alright, Rin-chan?”

Rin flinched, not looking up. “Yes, Kagome-sama.” The girl blinked bleary eyes, resting against the tub, her arms pulled around her tiny body.

Rin had become as much of a sister to her as Sango. Family. Pack. Were the two words describing the same thing? She knew she wasn't the only one who had grown attached to Rin. Inuyasha had come to the girl's defense several times in the past. He had protected Rin from the Murgo horse thieves and then again from Kagura. The latter had earned the hanyou a broken arm. He had also accepted Rin as a sister, or to define it accurately, pack sister.

Sesshomaru, much as Inuyasha had defended Rin, had acted similarly towards Kagome. He had guarded over her when he believed she might wander too far from the camp. He had also spent the rest of the ball with her after Zelleth's attack. Had the Demon Lord acted this way because Sesshomaru viewed Kagome as a pack sister, too? She wondered when the two brother's perceptions of one another had shifted. As long as she had known Inuyasha, Sesshomaru had been an adversary. Now the two were inseparable, especially when it came to keeping the group safe. It seemed that the two brothers had decided that the four of them, being that of Sesshomaru, Inuyasha, Kagome, and Rin would form a close family; a pack. But did this also include Miroku, Sango, and Shippo? Maybe it did for Inuyasha, but Kagome wasn't quite certain how the Demon Lord felt about them.

Rin disturbed her contemplations, her soft voice a whisper as she asked, “Kagome-sama, may I please have the soap?”

Kagome jolted out of her thoughts, glancing towards the small girl. Rin sat with her arms pulled around her chest, her eyes focused on the water in front of her. Kagome searched with her hands, splashing as she fished the soap out. Kagome outstretched her palm towards the girl. “Here, Rin-chan.”

The girl gave her a weak smile picking the small bar up. She bowed her head and said, “Thank-you, Kagome-sama.” She turned her attention towards the camp, her eyes focused in the direction Sesshomaru must reside. Rin moved to sit apart from Kagome. She muttered, “Sorry for disturbing you.”

As Kagome relished in the warm water surrounding her, she thought about the heavy travel ahead of them. She hoped they would find another inn soon. It amazed her at how difficult traveling had been at the beginning before Inuyasha had taken her for his mate. Having Sesshomaru present had placed a strain on Inuyasha. As soon as the Demon Lord had shown that he wasn't a rival, Inuyasha had relaxed considerably and that at some point the brothers had started to depend upon one another. They coordinated how they would ride, one to the front and one to the back. Their golden eyes were always on the look out for danger and when anyone had been threatened, especially Rin or herself, both brothers reacted with aggression. In any case, it was the family Kagome found herself belonging to. She certainly hadn't lacked for love or protection.

It also still didn't mean she didn't miss her other family: Mama, Sota, and Grandpa. Kagome felt a blush cross her cheeks. What would her mother think about her becoming Inuyasha's mate? Her mother had always encouraged her to follow her heart and so she knew that perhaps Mama would be accepting of the half-demon as a son-in-law. Her mother had often asked after Inuyasha. It was also at her mother's insistence that she begin taking birth control. Perhaps this showed her mother's approval of her daughter's choice of husband.

A loud yawn escaped the small girl sharing the tub with Kagome. She lounged in the tub, her eyes closed. Kagome was curious as she watched the young girl. She realized she didn't know how old Rin was. They had traveled together for a few months and Kagome knew that Rin had been with Sesshomaru for a few years, but she wasn't sure how old the girl was. Maybe Sesshomaru didn't know her age, either. Kagome asked, curious, “How old are you, Rin?”

Rin opened her eyes, keeping them trained upon the water. She stated, “Rin will turn twelve in a week and a half.” Her eyes fell shut and she sighed. Kagome let a small smile cross her lips. It was adorable how Rin emulated her lord's manner of using the third person.

So Rin was twelve. That meant she was approximately the same age as her little brother Sota. Rin's devotion to Sesshomaru reminded Kagome of her brother's hero worship of Inuyasha. She really couldn't fault Sota. After all, they had no father figure and Inuyasha was strong although rough around the edges. The difference between Rin and Sota, however, resided in that Rin depended solely upon Sesshomaru and Sota only saw Inuyasha in spurts.

As for Grandpa, she rolled her eyes. She loved and missed him dearly, but he had a tendency to try and purify her hanyou. Of course, none of his spells had any potency. Inuyasha had brushed them off as senile peculiarities of her grandfather, but Kagome had to wonder how much these attempts had bruised his pride. Maybe if they could ever find their way back home, Kagome would be able to explain some of these things to her family. For now, the well was out of reach and therefore so was her family. Up until now, her manner of dealing with being homesick was to push it out of her mind. It hadn't been difficult to do so, considering all the things that had happened to them in this strange new world. Kagome wasn't certain they'd ever get to see Kaede's village or the Sacred Tree, let alone the well. It might not be such a bad thing. As she had told Inuyasha, perhaps her inability to travel back and forth between the two eras would keep her family from facing the dangers they did on a daily basis. She never wanted anyone in her family to face the horrors that Naraku created. She hoped the longer they stayed away from the well, the safer her family would be.

Kagome looked over Rin's exhausted form, moving to sit next to her in the water. She asked, “Rin are you sure you're feeling alright?”

Rin sat with her head bowed. She nodded, another yawn breaking out over her delicate features. She said, the weariness evident in her voice, “Rin is just sleepy. Sesshomaru-sama said Rin should take a bath and retire for the night.” Rin made idle ripples in the water with her finger.

Kagome slid her arm around the young girl, hugging her. “Alright. You look like you need it. Why don't we both get dressed and I'll take you to the tent. I'm sure Sesshomaru-sama would want to make sure that you get there alright.” She squeezed Rin's shoulders.

Rin nodded, her head still held down. “Okay, Kagome-sama.”

Kagome pushed through the water, exiting the tub. She dried off and pulled her clothes back on as Rin did the same. Rin looked lovely in her dress. It accentuated how much of a young woman the girl was becoming. “That looks good on you, Rin. I like it.”

Rin blushed and said, “Rin doesn't know if Sesshomaru-sama does. He said that Rin should wear it if it makes her warmer.” She struggled to tie the bodice with tired fingers before smoothing it down. “Rin thinks she likes it a lot more than the smock, she just doesn't want to disappoint her Sesshomaru-sama. Rin thinks she's failed him enough lately.”

Kagome was surprised by the young girl's words. She couldn't understand why Rin would think she had disappointed Sesshomaru. The past few days the two had been inseparable except for travel accommodations. Every time Kagome had glanced in their direction, she had seen Sesshomaru being tender and gentle with Rin, often holding her. He hadn't looked stern or disapproving. Why Rin believed she had disappointed him confused Kagome. “Why would you ever think that you've failed him, Rin-chan? Sesshomaru-sama cares about you very much.”

Rin nodded, biting her lip. “Rin knows that Sesshomaru-sama cares for her, but he left as soon as he brought Rin to the tent and told her to bathe. He told Rin he had something to take care of. Rin thinks she has angered her lord in some way to make him leave like that.” Tears formed in her weary brown eyes. “Rin never wants to anger Sesshomaru-sama. He looked so upset when he left, although he tried to hide it from Rin. Rin saw it in his eyes.”

Kagome pursed her lips as she listened to the young girl. She pulled Rin into a hug. “Rin-chan, I'm sure Sesshomaru-sama is still a little rattled from what happened in that battle with the demon. You haven't done anything wrong. He was just scared and he doesn't like to feel that way.”

The thought that Sesshomaru might abandon Rin had hurt the little girl. It reminded her of the times she and Inuyasha would fight and she would run to the well. The well, to Kagome, now meant a wedge between her and Inuyasha. It had been the thing creating distance between them. How many times had she hurt him by leaving? There had been too many times she hadn't had the gall to face him and work through their problems instead. She pulled Rin closer, threading her hands into the girl's hair. It shocked her to realize how childish she had been in the past. Not having the well to fall back onto had forced her to face Inuyasha and everything that was going on between them without a buffer or escape route. As she thought back to the times she had flung herself down the well after a fight, sometimes about a small thing, Kagome could recall the hurt that Inuyasha had tried so hard to hide. It had shined brightly in his gold eyes, mistaken at the time for anger and hurt pride. She knew she had hurt her hanyou deeply when she ran away like that. If they ever got back home, she vowed to never hurt Inuyasha like that again.

She rubbed Rin's back, holding her. Kagome whispered, “Rin-chan, let's get you to your tent so you can rest. You should sleep. I'm sure Sesshomaru-sama will be there in a little while. I don't think you have to worry too much about him leaving you behind. He just wants to make sure that there aren't any more demons out there to hurt you, that's all. He cares very deeply for you.”

Rin burrowed her face into Kagome's shoulder. She said, “I know Kagome-sama.” A wide yawn tore from her tiny frame. “Rin is very tired now.”

Kagome giggled. “Come on, let's take you to your tent. Maybe he'll be waiting for you.”

Rin lifted her head, a weak smile flickering across her face. She nodded her head. Mid-smile she yawned again. They turned towards the camp. When they arrived at the tent, Rin hugged Kagome. She said, “Thank-you, Kagome-sama.”

“You're very welcome, Rin-chan. Sleep well. I'm sure that Sesshomaru-sama will come back very soon.” Kagome watched as the young girl disappeared into the tent. She smiled at her before looking around. Kagome sighed, walking through the camp in an attempt to see if she could find Inuyasha anywhere. She muttered, “Great, just when I wanted to talk to him. Just where did Inuyasha go now?”

“Did you have a nice bath, dear?” Polgara caught her attention. The woman still sat by the fire, making another dress, gray in color. Her gray eyes melted into violet.

Kagome nodded. “Yes, Lady Polgara.” She looked around again, frustrated. She asked, “Have you seen Inuyasha anywhere at all?”

Polgara's needle flashed in the ruddy light of the fire. She shook her head. “No. He went for a walk some time ago. Is everything alright?” Concern crossed the face of the sorceress as her mouth drew into a tight line.

Kagome sighed. She sat down by the woman. Before she found Inuyasha, she needed advice. “Well, I guess so. I think I've really hurt him, though.”

Polgara bit her thread, shaking the dress. “And now you don't know where to begin when you talk to him, is that it?”

Kagome nodded. She would keep the details to herself. To reveal the specifics would only add to the heartache of the past few days. “I just don't know where to begin. I have so many questions and even more things I think I should apologize for. Inuyasha is so good to me and I want to make him feel like he makes me feel.”

Polgara smiled softly. “I see, dear. Kagome, why don't you just start by apologizing to him? It would be as good of a start as any. He may be gruff and rough on the outside, but he's very understanding and tender on the inside. I'm sure you two can work out your problems.” Her needle flashed in the gray fabric again as she focused her attention on the work before her.

Kagome mulled over the advice Polgara had given her. It made sense and it amazed her at how easily the sorceress had assessed Inuyasha's character. “Thank-you, Lady Polgara. Can you tell me what direction Inuyasha took?”

Polgara pointed her finger towards the right of camp. “He went that way, dear. He said he wanted to wait for the monk's return.”

A smile crossed Kagome's face. Her hanyou would rather die than admit it, but Inuyasha did worry about the monk and did consider him to be family, or pack to be more accurate. “Thank-you.” Kagome made her way in the direction the sorceress had indicated. She came across Inuyasha sitting in the grass. He had Tetsusaiga drawn. The blade coursed with the blue fire and the fur fringe still held the tint of an azure frost. Inuyasha's face was illuminated by its glow, making his stern features appear soft. His silver hair seemed to be cerulean in the bask of Tetsusaiga's blade.

Kagome sat down next to him, admiring the beauty of her mate's sword. She leaned her head against his shoulder and he lowered the blade, transforming it back to rusty form. Inuyasha wordlessly slipped his arm around her, pulling her close. She could hear him take a deep breath as he inhaled her scent. She whispered, “It was pretty. Can I see it again?”

A soft snort reached Kagome's ears. “It's not pretty, wench. It's a sword.” He complied and the fire ran the blade, azure in color. “I'm just trying to understand how it works with whatever Garion did to it, that's all.”

Kagome wrapped her arms around his torso. She could hear the admiration in his voice for Tetsusaiga's new look. Otherwise why would he sit staring at the blade instead of testing it? Polgara's advice filled her mind again. Kagome bit her lip, unsure of where to begin. “Inuyasha----”

He snorted, rubbing her side. He transformed Tetsusaiga back, setting it into the grass. He asked, “What is it, wench?”

“Inuyasha, I've been thinking.” Kagome felt him tense up, although he didn't pull away. “I'm sorry.”

Inuyasha growled in her ear. “Just what are you being sorry for? I told you last night that you've got nothing to be sorry for. Quit apologizing.”

Kagome sat up, looking into his eyes. “Not that. I'm sorry for all those times I ran away down the well. It wasn't fair of me.” She looked down at the ground. She found one of his hands interlocking her fingers with his. “I was thinking when I was in the bath. I realized that it hurt you when I would do that. I'm sorry.” She gazed back up towards him.

His gold eyes softened in concern. “Oi. What brought this on? What made you think about the well like that?” Inuyasha's ears drooped and he pulled her into a hug.

Kagome snuggled against his chest, her arms going around him. “I was thinking after everything came out about my time. I'm sorry. I didn't trust you enough. I should have and I didn't. I'm sorry I kept running away like that all the time, too.”

Inuyasha fisted one clawed hand into her hair. He snorted. “Feh. I thought we talked about that last night, woman. You promised to listen to me next time. It's settled. Don't think about it anymore, alright?” He rested his chin atop her head, holding her close. “What's in the past is in the past. You got that?”

Kagome curled up further into his lap, her arms going about his neck. She rested her head onto his shoulder, rubbing her nose under his chin. “It was still wrong of me.”

A snarl erupted from Inuyasha's throat. Before Kagome could feel him shift, he had flipped her onto her back, his body blanketing hers. His fangs locked around her neck and he growled. As he loosened his grip, he kissed her, his clawed hand trailing through her hair. “Damn it, wench. I said let it go. You ain't got anything to apologize for.” His eyes were fierce and his ears flattened to his skull. “If anyone is going to do any apologizing, it'll be me.” He pulled away, turning his back on her. His shoulders sagged.

Kagome moved to sit by him, taking his hand into hers. “Didn't you just tell me what's in the past is in the past? I forgive you. I never blamed you, because it wasn't you who hurt me.” Kagome watched as the breeze twisted through the grass. She leaned her head onto his shoulder. Kagome whispered, “I'm sorry. I didn't understand why you didn't want me to go home all those times. I thought you saw me as nothing more than a shard detector. I don't know how I could've ever thought you'd think that way about me. It was wrong of me.” She wrapped her arms around his chest, savoring the feel of the power that resided there.

Inuyasha wrapped his arms around her, pulling her into his lap. “It's my fault you felt that way, Kagome. I did tell you that you weren't anything but a shard detector in the past, after all.”

Kagome cuddled closer. “I know.” She let a small smile cross her lips. Kagome nuzzled her nose against his jaw line. “You're a terrible liar now that I look back on it. I wish I'd seen through it sooner.”

“Feh. What does it matter now. Like I said, it's in the past, so quit worrying about it. You'll only hurt yourself if you think too much.” Inuyasha's voice reverberated through her ears.

Kagome laughed softly. “That's my dog boy.” She lifted herself up and kissed him. Her musings about family and pack came back to her and she wondered how she would ask the questions swirling in her mind. “Inuyasha, can I ask you something? What am I exactly? I mean, to you.”

“You're Kagome. My mate. Why would you ask that?” Inuyasha's voice sounded guarded and concerned.

“I know that, but exactly what does that mean?” Kagome ran her hand across his chest again, snuggling closer to him. “I mean, Belgarath said something about a pack. How does my being your mate fit in?”

“Where is this coming from?” He wrapped his legs around her and cocooned her against his strong body.

“I was just thinking, after we had that conversation last night.” She leaned her head onto his shoulder, seeing the profile of his face. He was staring above her head at some unknown point.

“You're my mate.” Inuyasha paused, formulating his answer. “As for that pack thing, that old man has another thing coming if he thinks we're going to be some large pack.”

“What about everyone else?” Kagome slid her arms around his back. “I mean, Miroku, Sango, Shippo, Rin, even Sesshomaru.” After spending so much time lost in thought about the matter, Kagome wanted to know exactly what it meant so she wouldn't misinterpret anything. “Where does everyone fit?”

“Feh.” Inuyasha burrowed his nose into her hair. He sighed. “I think that'd be fairly obvious, Kagome.” He pulled her closer to his chest.

“So they're part of our pack? Is that like family?” Kagome wrinkled her nose in thought. “It's just that what Belgarath said made me start thinking about everything.”

Inuyasha grunted. “Yeah. They are. Anything else you need any answers to?”

Kagome snuggled closer to him. “What do you expect from me as a mate? I never want to do what I did about my time again.”

Inuyasha rubbed his hand over her back. He traced a claw up to her neck, tracing it over her mark. Inuyasha pulled back before kissing it. His gruff voice became husky as he whispered into her ear, “Mate. Mine.” Lifting his head, Inuyasha said, “That mark tells all other males that you have been claimed and that you belong to me. It gives me the right to kill any male that dares to challenge my claim. It also means that I can ask for your submission.” He looked into her eyes. “For my kind, you are supposed to be obedient to me as I am the male. When I demand something, you are supposed to obey. It is a part of my instincts, to keep you safe.”

Kagome bit her lip, mulling over his answer. That would mean that if Koga came to challenge Inuyasha, her hanyou would have the right to kill the persistent wolf prince. “Kill?”

Inuyasha nodded. In his gold eyes Kagome saw fierce possessiveness. “That's what I said. Next time that fucking wolf tries anything, I can rightfully kill him. Nothing but death can break the bond a mated pair share. Nothing.” He crushed her body to his, his hands in her hair.

Kagome wrapped her arms around his body. “And the obedience?”

Inuyasha nuzzled his nose into her hair. He pulled back, tugging on his beads. “Do you think I'm stupid enough to answer that when I have these around my neck?” A wide smile revealing his fangs spread across his face. “Honestly, if I answer wrong, you'll plant my face into the ground, won't you?”

Kagome shook her head, laughing. “Oh Inuyasha, I won't say 'it. I'm serious. Don't be smart.”

Inuyasha's grin grew. He sighed looking down. His lips drew into a thoughtful pout and his brows knit over his eyes. “I'd be stupid to think I can expect you to submit to my every demand. I made you promise to listen to me when I feel something is not safe. That's all I can ask. Let me protect you.” Inuyasha kissed her. “Are you satisfied?”

Kagome nodded. She thought about Rin and how heartbroken she had looked at the thought of losing Sesshomaru. “Inuyasha, have you seen your brother at all?”

“No. Why?” Confusion filled his eyes.

“Rin said he left to take care of something. She feels bad, thinks she pushed him away.” Kagome fingered the ties to his haori. “She thinks she's failed him. I don't know why she thinks that, but she does.”

Inuyasha became rigid. “The pup thinks she pushed Sesshomaru away? Why? They were together most of the day. What does my jackass brother have to take care of anyways? It's not like there's anything we can do until the monk comes back.” His mouth drew into a tight scowl. “Did the pup say which way he went?”

Kagome shook her head. “No. Sorry. I just hope he comes back. Rin is so upset. She thinks she disappointed him.”

Inuyasha huffed. “Why don't you go back to our tent. I'll go see if I can find out what Sesshomaru is doing. He better have a damn good reason for making the pup feel bad.”

Kagome nodded. “Okay. Good luck.”

Inuyasha disentangled himself from her. He stood, re-sheathing Tetsusaiga. “Feh. He's the one who will need the luck if he's hurt the pup.” He turned, looking over his shoulder. “Just get to the tent, alright?”

Kagome smiled winsomely at him. “Whatever you say, my mate.”

“Smart ass.” He smiled before bounding away.