Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Seventy Five ( Chapter 75 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Check my livejournal at farawayeyes4 for news, review responses, and more.
 
Chapter Seventy-Five
 
Looking over from his bed, through a slit in the canopy curtains, Jaken spotted a pitcher and washing basin that hadn't been there the night before. His eyes narrowed in ire that humans had come into his room without his knowledge. Then, they widened in shock that he hadn't awoken when they had entered. Why, he could have been easily harmed!
 
Shifting his position in the large bed, Jaken snorted. He blamed his lack of attention on the overly soft bed he now reclined in. Nothing, save the possibility of his master's fur, was ever this comfortable or exquisite. Not that he knew intimate details of his master's fur, however. If only he could receive such benevolence from his lord! Stretching further, Jaken felt himself sink into the pliant mattress.
 
Slowly, Jaken extracted himself and made use of the offered pitcher and basin. He splashed his face with the refreshing, cool water, and then dried it with the towel. He supposed he would forgive the human who had entered his room without his permission. It saved him the aggravation of conversing with one about requesting these things.
 
For a human palace, Jaken had to admit it was well-furnished, although the décor remained exotic to him. There were rich green velvet curtains dressing the windows. A soft green rug adorned the stone floor, providing warmth. The table the basin and pitcher resided upon was ornately carved, the wood a rich mahogany. In front of the window sat two high back chairs, covered in a plush emerald velvet. A mirror rested above it, the edges of its glass gilded. The bed itself was massive and lavish. Its four posts soared towards the ceiling, an emerald canopy stretched above. The toad demon found the extravagant room much to his liking.
 
A soft tap on his door called Jaken's attention. He waddled his way to answer it and found Eriond on the other side. The young man smiled, greeting, “Good morning, Jaken. I've brought you some breakfast.”
 
Jaken turned his gaze to the tray in Eriond's hands. On it were fruits, cream, bread, and tea. His stomach growled softly in approval. Jaken said, his tone gruff, “Thank-you, boy.”
 
Eriond smiled, placing the tray on the table. “I'll leave you to enjoy your breakfast in peace. Porenn said that she would like to reconvene the Council later this morning and prepare a draft of the letter to the King of Mishrak ac Thull. You'll have some time to enjoy yourself.”
 
The young man left with no response from Jaken.
 
The toad turned, grabbing the bread. He bit into it, chewing slowly. Jaken began to muse about the letter. Since it had been his idea to occupy this Mishrak ac Thull, Jaken wanted to be involved. If anything, he knew it would offend and annoy that odious and obnoxious Emperor. Jaken still did not care about such petty human affairs---at least not really. This was merely a diversion while he awaited his lord's return.
 
Jaken dipped a strawberry into the cream, and ate it, chewing slowly while he gathered his thoughts. He poured his tea, sipping from it. It was not as strong as he would have liked, nor as good as the tea at home, but it would have to do. First, how to open his letter. The toad demon surmised he would start with cordial greetings, rather than appearing demanding or threatening.
 
It had been a long time since Jaken had had a chance to make use of his diplomatic skills. Serving Sesshomaru meant far more battles than peace talks, after all. Perhaps it would be good to occupy his time while he waited, especially considering the boredom he had suffered in the Vale. It would also help him hone his ability to negotiate. The more he thought about it, the more Jaken found himself looking forward to the Council.
 
Jaken ate some more bread, mulling over how to breach the subject of occupation. He was no fool. He knew that most humans would take offense that someone wanted to take them over. He sipped more tea, swishing it around as he thought. They had to be most careful in proposing this or find the country hostile. The language they used would be extremely crucial.
 
While he had suggested that they occupy this Mishrak ac Thull without understanding their circumstances or the consequences, he now found it difficult to draft the letter without any background information. He knew nothing about them. He didn't know their customs. He didn't know what they would want or how they might respond. Without any concrete information on them, Jaken was completely stuck. He hoped there was a library in the palace that he could peruse. With some research, he could produce a good letter. After breakfast, he would have to ask someone to take him there.
 
The toad demon sighed softly, pouring a fresh cup of tea. He relished this silence, realizing that it had been the first morning in quite awhile that he could enjoy it thus. It reminded him of his lord. Sesshomaru preferred silence. Jaken closed his eyes, feeling heartsick. Again, he couldn't help but wonder why his lord had left him behind. Wasn't he Sesshomaru's most loyal servant?
 
Softly, Jaken whispered, “When will you return, Sesshomaru-sama?”
 
Jaken picked up an apple, shining it on his shirt. He bit into it, savoring it. He had to get back to the task at hand. Soon, the Council would reconvene and he had to be ready. The little blonde queen would expect him to help, and for some reason, Jaken didn't want to disappoint her. He also didn't want to look like a fool in front of the irritating Emperor. It would be disgraceful.
 
Tossing the apple core onto the tray, Jaken returned to nursing his tea. The toad figured even without knowledge of Mishrak ac Thull that the friendliest tone would be the best. He just wished he knew what they wanted in return for being occupied. There had to be a way to convince them that this was in both parties interest. There had to be something they would want---something that would make it impossible for them to refuse. If he could learn that, he would be able to easily pen this letter.
 
Finishing his tea, he pushed the tray aside. He washed his hands in the basin, then toweled them dry. Now, he had to find someone to take him to the library---if there even was one. He stood, grabbing his hood. Jaken pulled it on and over his head, not ready to be seen in the halls openly where foolish humans could gawk. If he could find that foolish boy, Eriond, maybe this would be easier.
 
Before he could leave, a soft rap sounded on the door. Jaken snorted. Perhaps it was time to return to Council already. He shuffled to the door and opened it only to find the offensive figure of the Tolnedran Emperor. Jaken most certainly did not want to see this obnoxious mortal. In fact, he was the last person the toad demon wanted to see.
 
Jaken's eyes narrowed, and he hissed, “What do you want, you stupid human?”
 
The grey-haired man sighed. “May I come in a moment?”
 
“What for?” Jaken harrumphed. “If you're going to tell me that my idea is stupid again, then I have nothing to say to you, you foolish mortal.”
 
The Emperor of Tolnedra pinched his aquiline nose and shook his head. He took a deep breath. “No, no. It's nothing like that.”
 
Jaken crossed his arms and allowed the man to enter. “Well, what is it, then? I'm busy.”
 
The curly-haired Emperor had a chagrined expression on his face. “I've come to apologize, actually.”
 
“Apologize?” The toad demon stared in disbelief. “You most certainly should apologize for being so obstinate, human.”
 
The Tolnedran Emperor pursed his lips, and his eyes narrowed, the only outward expression of building irritation. He shuffled with a noticeable limp to one of the luxurious arm chairs by the window and sat down. “After careful consideration, I found that I couldn't fault your logic. It may be unorthodox, but it will work if we're careful. If not for a theological dilemma, I may have come to the same conclusion.”
 
Jaken snorted, sitting down across from him in the other high backed chair. “I knew you were jealous---you just wish that you had thought of it first.”
 
“Perhaps.” The Emperor steepled his fingers in front of his lips. He sat forward, his expression determined. “Be that as it may, I still know more about the Thulls, and therefore can be of assistance.”
 
The toad demon blinked, uncertain if he had heard correctly. Had he just offered to help? Before, it seemed that this mortal wanted nothing to do with it. He had expected another argument. Considering the man's opposition to the idea, Jaken was surprised by his reversal.
 
“You'll assist me?”
 
“I can't see why not.” The Emperor rubbed his chin. “It'll be in the best interest for Tolnedra to be involved. That way, the Alorns can't simply take advantage of the situation. They've been looking for an excuse to butcher Angaraks for centuries. It'll also bring great profit to the Empire.”
 
“So what are these Thulls like?”
 
“The Thulls are simple and stupid.” A wry smile crossed the large man's face. “In Angarak society, they're considered human pack-mules. Thulls are broad backed and stout. Throughout the West, when the Empire encounters Murgo merchants, it is the Thulls carrying all of the goods.”
 
“If they're so simplistic, why would it be difficult to occupy?” Jaken leaned forward, intrigued. Humans typically bored him, but he wanted his idea to work. Besides, the more he focused on this, the less he would on missing his lord.
 
“It's not the Thulls that are the ultimate problem. It's their Murgo cousins---and the Grolims,” the stocky Tolnedran Emperor replied. “The Murgos are the only ones to exclusively trade with the Thulls alongside their Nadrak cousins throughout the entire West. The Grolims intimidate the entire nation with their grisly altars, which hinders our trade efforts even further.”
 
Jaken furrowed his brows and crossed his arms. He snorted. “Foolishness. We're dealing with the Thulls, not these other stupid humans.”
 
“That's the secret to our occupation.”
 
The toad demon frowned. “I don't understand. Make sense, you foolish mortal.”
 
“The one thing the Thulls want is for the sacrifices to stop.” The Emperor leaned forward. “Please, call me Varana.”
 
“So---,” Jaken paused, determining if this human was worthy to be called by name or not. He decided if it was necessary to get the needed assistance, he would do so. “---that all we need is to tell them that we would put an end to these sacrifices, Varana? Why didn't you say so in the first place?”
 
“Because it's not as simple as that. To pull that off, we'll need to be careful about their religion. Torak is still their God, regardless of the alleged events Belgarion took place in.” Varana sighed. “We can't insult their faith---even if most detest it in Mishrak ac Thull.”
 
“You're making this far more complicated than it needs to be.” Jaken sighed in exasperation. “You say they don't want the sacrifices, but then you say that they do. Which is it?”
 
“You have to take into account that they've been having them for over five thousand years at the very least, Jaken. It's a habit, and bad habits are the hardest to break,” Varana replied. “We can't just end all of their religious practices overnight. Thulls will welcome the change, but still fear retaliation from the Grolims, and rightly so.”
 
The toad demon cupped his chin in his hand as he mulled over the Tolnedran Emperor's points. Despite his prejudices against humans, he was finding them to be far more complex than he had ever imagined. Having never cared for or followed their politics, Jaken found their intricacies fascinating. It wasn't as unsophisticated as he had believed. Most of all, Jaken found it to be a challenging venture. Their could be great rewards in pursuing it.
 
Jaken's limited experience with humans had exposed him only to their fear or foolish aggression. He had no reason to think of them as anything but simple. The humans, excluding Rin and the half-breed's pack, the toad demon had interacted with gave him no reason to believe otherwise. In his estimation, humans had primitive needs and employed the most foolish of measures to attain them. Here, however, Jaken was discovering their cunning, and to his surprise, it tantalized him.
 
“If we can't just offer them the end of the sacrifices outright, then what can we, Varana?”
 
“The Empire can propose, for the Thulls, something the Alorns cannot---and will not.” A satisfied smile crossed his face.
 
“What? Don't stall.”
 
“We can offer them roads. Imperial Highways. The Thulls can finally advance their trade, and Tolnedra can profit.”
 
“You're going to profit from my idea?” Jaken narrowed his eyes. “But you didn't want to have anything to do with it yesterday.”
 
“Yes, but when I thought about it, I couldn't pass it up. The Empire has been looking for a chance to trade in Malloreon goods directly as they arrive in port.” Varana rubbed his large hands together in glee. “Now we have it.”
 
“I see.”
 
Jaken slid out of his chair and waddled to his breakfast tray. He poured another cup of tea. There was another empty cup he hadn't used, probably meant to be used for water. Glancing towards his stocky royal guest, the toad demon surmised that he ought to be polite and at least offer. It would be most unbecoming and an embarrassment to his lord not to do so.
 
Turning, Jaken asked, “Would you like some tea, Varana?”
 
Varana nodded. “Yes. Thank-you, Jaken.”
 
Jaken poured the second cup then brought both to the chairs. He offered one to the Emperor, who gladly accepted it. Sipping from his own, the toad demon let its warmth flow through him. He closed his eyes, savoring it. The soft clink of cup and saucer brought his attention back to Varana.
 
The Tolnedran Emperor cleared his throat. “Now that you know a bit about the Thulls and the situation, tell me a bit about some of your ideas for the letter.”
 
Jaken swallowed more tea, thinking. He studied Varana's lined face, finding that the man was sincere in his inquiry. He asked, “You care to hear my thoughts on the situation?”
 
“Certainly, Jaken. It's another reason I stopped by to visit this morning. While the Alorns are wasting time recovering from their hangovers, we can bring a rough proposal for the letter.” The Tolnedran Emperor sipped his tea. “Naturally, I couldn't pass it up. Besides, you've shown that you do have good ideas.”
 
“You think so?” Jaken was overwhelmed. Even though the praise came from a mortal, it still felt good. He adjusted in his seat, feeling slightly embarrassed by the compliments, ones never spoken by his beloved lord. That just wasn't Sesshomaru's way. Still, it pleased him to hear the remarks. “Well, I would start with friendly greetings so it's obvious our intentions are not hostile.”
 
“I thought the same thing. After that?”
 
“Obviously we have to start with your road proposal or another incentive before mentioning the religious matter.” Jaken sipped more tea, finishing his cup. “That's a subject we'll have to approach very carefully.”
 
“Yes, I agree. There must be something else other than my roads, however.” Varana rubbed his chin. “If we simply propose trade roads, they may take it as hostile. We'll have to think of one more thing to offer, leading in.”
 
Jaken smiled. Just a day ago he had thoroughly despised this human. The more they exchanged ideas, however, the more he grew to like him. The Tolnedran Emperor was smart, and now that they weren't arguing, surprisingly approachable. Varana was quickly earning the toad demon's respect. “Perhaps we could offer them a gift of some kind, first, Varana-sama.”
 
“Varana-sama?” The Tolnedran Emperor arched an eyebrow playfully. “Have my ears heard a compliment?”
 
Jaken sputtered. “Ah---well, yes.” He looked down, a blush coating his cheeks. “It's---it's an honorific.”
 
“I see.” A small smile crossed the Tolnedran Emperor's lips. “Just what does it mean?”
 
“It means lord, Varana-sama.”
 
A soft knock on the door disrupted their conversation. Jaken climbed out of his chair and opened the door. Eriond stood on the other side. He smiled mysteriously and bowed his head in respect towards Varana. The young man looked down at Jaken, a pleased expression in his blue eyes. Jaken frowned. He would never understand this boy.
 
“Your Majesty, Jaken,” Eriond began. “Porenn says that it is time to resume Council.”
 
“I was beginning to wonder if we'd ever return to Council, boy,” Jaken said, his tone surly. He had been enjoying his time speaking one on one with Varana and was disappointed that it was going to end.
 
“We wouldn't want to keep Porenn waiting.” Varana winked. “It is her court, after all.” He grasped one of his knees and winced. “Unfortunately, my left knee has locked up on me and I can't get up. A little assistance would be appreciated.”
 
Jaken waddled over to his side before Eriond could. Normally such human weakness would repulse him, but for some reason it didn't this time. He offered his hand to the stocky man. “Certainly, Varana-sama.”
 
The Tolnedran Emperor eyed his outstretched hand with suspicion at first. He bit his lip, appearing indecisive. Varana glanced from the toad demon's hand to his face, and shrugged. He tentatively accepted Jaken's hand, and the toad demon pulled, allowing him to stand. Varana brushed his hand across his gold mantle and straightened his knee. A soft pop could be heard. The Tolnedran Emperor winced then sighed in relief.
 
“Thank-you, Jaken.”
 
Eriond shook his head, his pleased and knowing smile growing. It was obvious that he wanted to say something about the turn of events, but wisely kept his mouth shut. Jaken glared up at him, annoyed. It unnerved him that the boy seemed to know something he didn't. He could never tell just what Eriond might be hiding behind his mysterious smiles.
 
Finally, unable to take anymore, Jaken snapped, “What is so amusing, you dreadful boy?”
 
Eriond shook his head. “Nothing. Nothing at all.”
 
Jaken snorted. He grabbed his staff, shaking it in Eriond's direction. “I'm onto you, boy.”
 
The trio made their way towards the throne room awaiting them. Jaken gripped the Staff of Two Heads tightly, his hood pulled high over his face. He still felt uncomfortable in the halls and did not want to welcome any humans gawking. Jaken kept his eyes trained on the rich carpet lining the floor. This place still seemed so unusual and it made the toad demon feel uneasy.
 
The large oak doors swung open and they entered. Inside, the other kings sat waiting. There was the soft cadence of friendly chatter, and Jaken relaxed. Even though the room was full of royalty, the meeting had an informal feel. There wasn't any pomp and circumstance as there had been the night before. No trumpets brazenly announced their presence and no one pompously announced their entrance. It, despite Jaken's preference for formality, was refreshing.
 
Porenn stood from her throne, her hands clasped in front of her. Smiling warmly, the Drasnian Queen Mother greeted, “Good morning, gentlemen. I trust that you slept well.”
 
“We did,” Eriond responded, a soft smile crossing his lips.
 
“Good. I'm pleased.” Porenn sat back down. She gestured towards the open seats. “Sit. We have much to discuss.”
 
It hadn't escaped Jaken's notice that the other kings stared at him standing next to the Tolnedran Emperor. There was an awkward silence in the spacious throne room, and each monarch, excluding Porenn and the brutish king of Cherek, had wide eyes. It seemed that no one wanted to speak. Several of them fidgeted, obviously uncomfortable.
 
The large Cherek king smiled slyly and arched a thick black eyebrow. He said, his deep voice resonant, “I'm pleased to see that we won't have another shouting match today.”
 
“Why you!” Jaken cried and shook his staff. Just because he had warmed up to Varana did not mean he had to like this other king.
 
The plain-dressed king of Sendaria chuckled softly. “Careful, Anheg. Don't go tempting fate.”
 
Varana limped to his throne with dignity. It reminded the toad demon of Sesshomaru, to not allow such a minor thing to hinder him. The Tolnedran Emperor sat down, smoothing out his golden mantle. “Fulrach, don't worry. There won't be any shouting today. Why shout when there are much better methods to employ?”
 
The pock-marked Nadrak monarch eyed Varana with suspicion. He said, his voice shrill, “I don't think I like that tone, Varana. You seem awfully pleased with yourself for not being happy at the end of last Council.”
 
Jaken sat down in the offered chair. He was most pleased that it was placed close to the Tolnedran Emperor. He laid his staff down next to it, turning his attention to the Council. He noticed that there was a large chart in the middle of the room, propped up on an easel. Upon closer inspection, the toad demon realized that it was a map. He wondered how it would be used in the day's meetings.
 
“I agree.” Anheg shifted, his dented crown sliding down his forehead. He repositioned it, snorting. He asked, “Just what are you up to, Varana?”
 
“I'll admit that I had my reservations, but after considerable thought, I've found that it is to Tolnedra's benefit.”
 
“Your reservations?” Anheg frowned and shook his head. “That's a nice way of putting it.”
 
“I realize that; however, Jaken and I met and had a fruitful discussion.” Varana smiled at the toad demon. “Didn't we, Jaken?”
 
The other monarchs turned their gazes toward Jaken, amazed expressions on their faces. Jaken felt uncomfortable under their scrutiny. He wanted to pull his hood back up and hide his face from the unwanted attention. The toad demon glanced over, seeing the Tolnedran Emperor's encouraging smile. It made him less conscious of everyone's focus upon him.
 
“Yes, we did, Varana-sama.” Jaken sat up in his chair and puffed his chest out slightly.
 
“Methinks perhaps our brother in Tolnedra hath protested too much in the last Council,” the Arendish King commented, an amused lit to his archaic speech.
 
The twin sorcerers entered the immense hall. Belkira said, his voice gentle, “We're sorry that---,”
 
“---we're late, Porenn. We had to speak with our brother and it ran late,” finished Beltira.
 
“That's perfectly fine,” Porenn said. She gestured towards a couple open chairs, the torch light refracting off of her rings. “Please, sit. We've not begun our discussion just yet.”
 
Ignoring the twin sorcerers entrance, Fulrach arched an eyebrow. He shifted on his throne and said, “I'm astounded. Just last night you were certain that Jaken didn't even exist. It's not like a good Tolnedran to switch your position, especially about something like this.”
 
“Why you! Varana-sama apologized. How dare you insult him, you stupid human!” Jaken cried.
 
The twins exchanged knowing glances, soft smiles crossing their faces. One began, “We're pleased to see---”
 
“---Jaken making friends,” completed the other.
 
The sober Rivan Warder smoothed his grey cloak down. “I don't mean to interrupt the growing debate, but I'd like to know when we should expect the Crown Prince of Riva to arrive. I don't think any of us would like to face an enraged Overlord of the West if he should return to find his son harmed.”
 
“Don't worry about Geran,” Eriond said. “I would have taken him with me myself, but Horse can only comfortably seat two and I didn't feel safe having him ride that far with me and Jaken. I think he'll be fine with Javelin.”
 
“Javelin should be arriving tomorrow---” Belkira said, his voice soft.
 
“---if all things go well. We think Geran would be in good hands with him.”
 
“We've provided Geran with an Algarian escort as well,” Cho-Hag said, his tone injured. “We wouldn't let anything happen to the heir to the Rivan throne.”
 
“I just thought I'd ask before we got too caught up in the---discussion,” Brand said, gesturing towards the brewing fight growing between the Cherek King, Tolnedran Emperor, and Jaken.
 
Anheg snorted and crossed his large arms. “It's exactly like a Tolnedran, Fulrach. If it'll profit him, he'll do it. Profit is everything, after all.”
 
Jaken glared at the offending Cherek King. How dare they speak about Varana-sama that way? He decided that this human monarch didn't deserve his respect, not if he'd treat the Tolnedran Emperor in that manner. The toad demon surmised that the brutish man couldn't be as refined as Varana. Jaken said, “You brute! How dare you attack Varana-sama's character that way!”
 
Varana-sama can take of himself,” Anheg replied, his voice a thunderous rumble. His gaze was affixed upon Jaken, his expression shrewd. “Ask him. He'll tell you that he can profit from this occupation of the Thulls.”
 
Jaken felt slightly intimidated by the large Cherek monarch. His face was hidden by his black beard, making his expressions harder to read. That didn't change the fact that he was human. The toad demon wouldn't let himself back down. Not now. Not when Varana's honor was at stake. Jaken figured that Anheg was just jealous, that he hadn't come up with a way to profit. Besides, in the toad demon's eyes, the Tolnedran Emperor had every right to profit from this endeavor.
 
Sitting taller in his chair, Jaken snorted and thrust his chin out in defiance. “I am well aware that Varana-sama can take of himself, you dimwitted mortal. Besides, why shouldn't he profit from this?”
 
A deep rich hearty laugh burst forth from the Tolnedran Emperor. “He's outwitted you, Anheg the Sly. Jaken's made an excellent point. Not even you can argue against it.”
 
Anheg glared darkly at him. He bit out sarcastically, “I'm so glad you've become such good friends over night, Varana.”
 
Jaken puffed his chest out, beaming proudly. He had been praised in front of everyone by Varana. No one could refute that. He smiled and said, “Thank-you, Varana-sama.”
 
“Now, now.” Porenn chided. “Let's get to the task at hand. We have much to do and so very little time---certainly not for arguing.”
 
“Alright, we'll behave.” Fulrach winked. “We promise.”
 
“Men!” The petite blonde threw her hands up in the air and sighed. “You're all overgrown boys!”
 
“Naturally,” Drosta said, a wide smile crossing his pock-marked face.
 
Porenn shook her head, ignoring the Nadrak ruler's comment. “Now, when we last left session, I believe we had decided to write a letter opening negotiations with the Thulls.” She turned, smiling winsomely at Jaken. “Jaken, since this was your idea, do you have any ideas to get us started?”
 
Jaken blinked, a blush coating his cheeks. He looked down and asked meekly, “Me, Porenn-sama?”
 
“Yes, of course,” Porenn replied.
 
“Go on, Jaken,” Varana encouraged. “Just remember what we discussed this morning.”
 
“We're curious to hear about---” Beltira said, a gentle smile on his face.
 
“---what you and Varana discussed, Jaken. Our brother thought your suggestion was ingenious. Go on. Tell us,” completed Belkira.
 
“Alright.” Jaken cleared his throat, trying to calm his nerves. “First we should start with friendly greetings. Whatever will fit their customs best, perhaps.”
 
“Anything else, Jaken?”
 
“I thought perhaps we could offer them a gift,” Jaken replied, glancing towards the ceiling in thought. “It's the way to warm them up to the proposition of our occupation. If we just lead directly with that, they'll reject it outright.” The toad demon cleared his throat. “Varana-sama also has other suggestions that can help us convince the Thulls.”
 
Porenn looked towards the twins. “Belkira, Beltira, did Belgarath have anything else to say about what Jaken suggested?”
 
“Our brother thought that it would---” answered Beltira, smoothing his white robe out.
 
“---be a good distraction. He said that the turmoil in the West was one reason he had sent back Hettar, Barak, and Mandorallen,” Belkira continued. “Belgarath finds it amusing when anything can upset the Grolims, and he said that this---”
 
“---was one of the best ideas he's heard to do just that.” A small knowing smile crossed Beltira's face. “He said that the Malloreon Grolims wouldn't come to their Murgo cousins aid. They have enough problems of their own.”
 
“I see,” Porenn replied.
 
“Other suggestions? What other suggestions?” Anheg shifted on his throne. “Alright, no more evading, Varana. Just what do you have in mind?”
 
The Tolnedran Emperor held his hands up in supplication. “Now, Anheg, there's no need for that suspicious face.”
 
“I rather agree with Anheg,” Drosta interrupted in his shrill tone. “There's certainly something you want in this letter.”
 
Varana nodded. “Yes, but I think it'll benefit everyone involved. If it gets the Thulls to comply, does it really matter?”
 
“You know that the Thulls will surrender without a fight as they did in the Battle of Thull Mardu, Varana,” Fulrach said.
 
“Perhaps.” Varana folded his arms. “Zakath and Taur Urgas aren't hovering upon their doorstep this time. If we simply invade upon our letter, they'll feel threatened and fight back. We need more than a simple declaration of friendly occupation. Imagine if Cherek decided to annex Sendaria. You'd resist, wouldn't you, Fulrach?”
 
“You wouldn't!” Fulrach eyed Anheg. “Would you?”
 
“No. What would I do with a country full of turnip farmers?” Anheg tapped his fingers on his chair arm. “Don't distract, Varana. What is your scheme to sway the Thulls?”
 
“Roads.”
 
“Roads?” Anheg's bushy eyebrows rose. “So that's what you're after.”
 
“What do you mean by roads exactly?” Porenn asked, a small frown on her face.
 
Varana grunted and pulled himself out of his chair. He walked stiffly towards the map. He picked up a pointer and twirled it in his fingers. He placed the tip on the map. “Here's where the Southern Caravan route ends in Rak Goska.”
 
“And you would like to expand it.” Anheg snorted.
 
“Precisely.” Varana nodded, pointed at the Cherek monarch. “You've got it, Anheg. Right now the Murgos control all trade with the Thulls. They have since Angaraks arrived on this continent. Thulls can't trade in the West without a Murgo escort, and Westerners can't trade directly with the Thulls in Mishrak ac Thull. Expansion of the Southern Caravan Route would change that.”
 
Drosta chuckled, the sound a raspy wheeze. “Thulls are stupid and need escorting---as you so aptly put it, Varana. They don't handle bartering and bargaining in their sales as well as we do. If they even so much suspect an underhanded deal, they lose their tempers. It's not a pleasant sight.”
 
“That may be true, but it will still benefit them and us. We'll just have to tread carefully in any trade agreements, that's all,” Varana replied.
 
Jaken examined the map, interested in Varana's explanation. He followed the thin line from the Tolnedran Emperor's pointer back towards a place called Tol Honeth. That road passed through mountains and crossed rivers like a wavy ribbon across the map. It looped northward from Tol Honeth, becoming the Great Western Road. It cut across places called Arendia, Sendaria, Algaria, and Drasnia before continuing into Gar og Nadrak, where it ended. It puzzled Jaken that it didn't follow south. If it had, it would have eventually circled back to Rak Goska, after traversing the road-less Mishrak ac Thull. Why hadn't they married the two Caravan Routes before? It didn't make any sense.
 
“Alright, Varana,” Anheg said, cupping his chin in his hand as he leaned haphazardly on his throne arm. “It sounds nice, but how will extending the Southern Caravan Route convince them that we should occupy them?”
 
“I'm curious, too,” the Rivan Warder said, his deep voice soft. A dubious expression crossed his sober face. “How does this help anyone besides Tolnedra?”
 
“We need a diversion, don't we, Brand?” Varana paced, his gait a bit stiff. “Our goal is to keep the rebel Murgos from eating the rest of Urgit's kingdom out from underneath him. We're also distracting the Grolims at the same time. What do you think they'll do when they hear the West has extended an olive branch to the Thulls? Zakath and Urgit are our allies---and Drosta is here, but it's only been a rather loose political alliance---until now.”
 
“Grolims tolerate our interactions with the West as long as they get their dues,” Drosta interrupted. “I know they'll hate the roads, but there has to be more than that to distract them.”
 
Jaken furrowed his brow. “But just last night you said that the Murgos would be furious. Which is it, human?”
 
Drosta peered at the toad demon. “The letter, as it stands, sounds like Tolnedra negotiating to build roads. It's not the first time the Tolnedran Empire has tried to expand the Southern Caravan Route. There has to be something more.”
 
“I agree,” Cho-Hag said. He slicked his single lock back. “The Murgos will brush that off as a tired debate and ignore us. We want these rebels to take notice and pressure off of Urgit. I just don't see roads doing that. As much as we need to convince the Thulls to let us occupy them, we have to rile those more zealous about their faith.”
 
Porenn nodded, smoothing her black skirt down. She smiled slightly at Jaken. “Jaken, dear, what else did you and Varana discuss?”
 
A rush of heat filled Jaken's cheeks. “I---well, Porenn-sama, Varana-sama's the one who came up with that idea, too.”
 
“Oh, I see.” The tiny blonde shook her head, laughing softly. “Come now. That may be, but I'd like to hear it from you. We wouldn't want to inflate his Tolnedran ego any more than it already is.”
 
“Porenn!” Varana cried, a playful lilt to his voice. “That was uncalled for. I think you bruised it.”
 
“Did I? I'm sorry, Varana,” Porenn smiled winsomely at him. “I promise not to do it again.”
 
“Right.” Varana shook his head, chuckling. “Well, Jaken, go ahead. Give them the crux of our argument.”
 
Jaken swallowed, his mouth becoming dry. He puffed his chest out, trying to look confident. The toad demon slid out of his chair and cleared his throat. “Well, it's rather simple. We came to the conclusion that we would offer an end to the sacrifices.”
 
“But wouldn't it be easier to just start with that?” Anheg asked.
 
“No,” Drosta said, his shrill voice serious. “If we go into Mishrak ac Thull and take their religion away, they'll resent us. I'm an Angarak and I hate my religion, but if someone else were to tell me to abolish it, I'd be furious. To us, a cruel God is better than no God. Seeing the Morindim is proof enough. The Thulls have to want this.”
 
Brand sighed and rubbed his face. “It's such a shame that the sacrifices didn't end with Torak's death. All of this could have been avoided.”
 
Pursing his lips, Varana nodded. “Belgarion's alleged exploits aside, what say you all to the proposed gifts, the roads, and our promise to offer sanctuary to those who desire to escape the Grolim knife? Any other suggestions?”
 
“I'm fairly satisfied,” Fulrach said. “It's going to get us what we want, and it should rile the rebel Murgos enough to react.”
 
“Methinks that this plan hath a sound foundation,” the Arendish King said. “I find no fault in it.”
 
“I'm fairly pleased with the outcome of this discussion,” Porenn said. “However, I think we should try and somehow get a letter to Urgit and let him know our plans. We should also try and plant some spies in Cthol Murgos so we're aware of their movements.”
 
“I agree with that.” Anheg sighed. “Alright, does everyone else agree?”
 
A murmur of Yeas filled the room, closing the debate.
 
“Now, Varana, let's hear more about your roads.”
 
“Ah, yes, of course.” Varana smiled. “I'd like to start with the roads in Mishrak ac Thull itself, and then connect Rak Goska and Yar Marak at a later date.”
 
Drosta snorted. “I don't know if I like the Empire encroaching upon the Northern Caravan Route.”
 
“I have to agree,” Porenn remarked. “I'd like some type of trade agreement that Tolnedra won't turn it into another Imperial Highway.”
 
“Of course, of course.” Varana tapped his pointer on the floor. “If it'll ease your mind, we'll wait to connect the two routes until Belgarion has weighed in.”
 
“Sounds reasonable. What else?” Anheg asked.
 
Varana leaned on his pointer as if it were a cane. “I'd like to look at cutting across Southern Algaria, connecting the new roads to Tol Honeth. We could use it as a supply chain while we occupy, as well.”
 
“No,” the grim voice of the Algarian King interrupted. “Absolutely not.”
 
“No?” Varana frowned, his brow crinkling in confusion. “What do you object to, Cho-Hag? The road or something else? There's nothing in Southern Algaria but grass.”
 
“I said no. You will not construct your road in Southern Algaria.” Cho-Hag's hawk-like face was stony.
 
“Why you foolish human!” Jaken cried. He crossed his arms. “If there's nothing but grass there, then why does it matter?”
 
“That's not entirely true,” Brand interjected. “There is something there in the southern tip of Algaria, alright.”
 
“What is it?” Varana demanded, his tone becoming irritated. Ire crossed his face and the Tolnedran Emperor clenched his teeth. “You Alorns have been hiding something there for centuries. Just what in the name of the seven Gods is it?”
 
Jaken eyed the map. Algaria was a large country devoid of any cities or features but two. In the northwest corner was a city named Aldurford, on the banks of the Aldur River, and in the southwest corner rested the Stronghold. If there wasn't anything else noted on the map, what could be in the southern tip? The country looked like one large grassland. Why not let a road cut through it? It didn't make any sense.
 
“You already know, Varana, if you think about it,” Anheg said.
 
The Tolnedran Emperor rubbed his chin, his expression lost in thought. He frowned and threw his hands up in the air. “I don't know. Just tell me already.”
 
“You're blind.” Anheg sighed. “Think. Where did Beltira and Belkira come from? I know that your Tolnedran sensibilities dismiss sorcery, but you can't deny that those two exist. They live somewhere, you know.”
 
Varana blinked and looked towards the two saintly old men. “Is this true?”
 
“Yes. Our Master's Vale is---” began Belkira.
 
“---there. It is home to all of our brothers, as well,” finished Beltira.
 
“The fabled Brotherhood of Sorcerers?”
 
“The proper name is the Vale of Aldur.” Brand said. “You know, Belgarath wouldn't be very happy if he found a construction crew building a road through his backyard.”
 
A small pout crossed Varana's face. He sighed and chuckled. “No, I suppose not. I guess I'll just focus on the roads in Mishrak ac Thull.”
 
“Wise decision,” Anheg quipped.
 
Porenn stood. “I think we should break for a nice lunch. We've accomplished much, gentlemen.”
 
“Sounds like a plan to me.” Anheg rubbed his stomach. “I'm famished.”
 
“Now that we have the letter completed, we have other matters to address,” Porenn said. “We'll discuss our military tactics after lunch, I think. Think about the forces you have at home and how we will gather them. We don't have Ce'Nedra to call them to arms this time.”
 
Jaken watched as the other kings stood from their thrones, progressing to the door. He sighed and did the same. It had certainly been a very busy morning indeed. His stomach rumbled, and he realized that he was quite hungry. He hoped that the lunch would be as good as the breakfast had been. He bent to reach for his staff. When he looked up, his eyes met the Tolnedran Emperor's and a small smile crossed his face. He felt so honored that Varana would wait for him.
 
“Yes, Varana-sama?”
 
Varana shook his head and chuckled. “Jaken, I think you've changed the world forever.”
 
“I--I have?” Jaken blinked, feeling heat flood his cheeks.
 
“Of course. I'd say for the better, too.” The Tolnedran Emperor smiled. “Come on, let's go to lunch before the Alorns eat it all.”