Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter One Hundred Two ( Chapter 102 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: I do not own either Inuyasha or the Belgariad/Malloreon series. Inuyasha belongs to Rumiko Takahashi/VIZ and the Belgariad/Malloreon belongs to David Eddings/DEL Rey. There is absolutely no profit being made from this story. It merely fulfills a curiosity of mine---and a desire to keep some really old friends around for as long as possible. Please do not sue.

Check out my dreamwidth journal for more information on updates and review responses. It can be found here:
https://farawayeyes4.dreamwidth.org/Note: This story updates the 17th of EVERY month.
Chapter One Hundred Two
Despite the utilitarian features of the military pavilion, it had a cozy feel. The comfortable cushion tucked in a corner may have had much to do with it, but Jaken suspected something---or rather that a pair of someones---had more to do with it. He leisurely sipped his tea, content to share this brief interlude with the Tolnedran Emperor and the Queen Mother of Drasnia. All too soon, they'd be on the move from the camp, making their slow but steady progress into Mishrak ac Thull. Jaken relished in their pleasant companionship.

“Fulrach's wagons and Anheg's ships should be ready and in place any day,” Porenn noted, jotting notes onto a scroll. “Any word on the progress of your Legions, Varana?”

“Day's march away from Aldurford. We're nearly on schedule,” the greying Emperor of Tolnedra replied. “The Mimbrates and Asturians are with them, too. Almost feels like last time---,”

“Not quite,” Porenn said softly. “Not quite.”

“My sincere apologies, Porenn. I didn't think,” Varana said. “I'd give my crown for Rhodar's advice right now.”

“Thank you---though Belar only knows what he would have done with it,” Porenn said, wiping a tear away. “One crown is quite enough.”

The Queen Mother's grief touched Jaken. Aside from Rin, he had rarely thought too much about humans and their mortality. Often, it had centered upon how that was a weakness to disdain. With someone like Porenn, the toad demon began to understand much more about humans and their impermanence. She missed her beloved husband---seeming to ache with the loss. In that sorrow, Jaken found respect for their tenacity in the face of that mortality.

“Any other tasks you can think to note?” Porenn asked.

Tasks. The word stuck out in Jaken's mind, almost like a ringing bell. The mundane word normally didn't mean much to the toad demon. Tasks were just a part of life---and as a servant, he knew that better than most. Sesshomaru had him do much of the heavy lifting in providing for Rin---gathering food, building fires, the like. This, however, felt different. Tasks in this enterprise held much deeper meaning---and it bothered Jaken that he couldn't quite put his finger on why.

Next to him, Eriond sipped his tea, the quirk of a pleased smile curling his lips. The boy's unobtrusiveness made it easy to forget his presence---except when he wore smug, knowing smiles---as he did now. The toad demon glared at him half-heartedly. Eriond chuckled softly, not saying a word.

“Not that I can recall,” Varana replied. “Brand said that he'll be arriving in a day or two. It'll take time to marshal some forces while leaving instructions and protections in place for the Crown Prince.”

Jaken mused as he sipped his tea that he'd miss the little boy. Geran had been overzealous and a bit of a nuisance---but secretly the toad demon had grown quite fond of him. He supposed that it'd be for the best. No need for Jaken to become attached to him---even if Geran had filled the hole Rin's absence had left behind.

“Foolishness,” Jaken muttered to himself. “When did I become so sentimental?”

“Ho! You are a hard lot to find,” a surly voice hollered outside. “Why the sudden urge to join the Algarian herds, Drosta? I thought you had more sense than that.”

“What can I say, Yarblek,” Drosta said, his shrill voice sarcastic. “I tired of the dice games and brothels in Gar og Nadrak. Maybe the Algarian plains will yield an adventure.”

“No offense, your Majesty, but you're too old and too lazy to be going on an adventure,” Yarblek retorted. “I doubt you can even ride a horse properly. Besides, you'd never last. These Alorns don't have any decent ale.”

“Oh, I brought my own. I came prepared.”

“Good. I'd like to refresh myself after the long trip.”

“You're a disgusting drunken sot,” a woman's sharp voice retorted. “You're still drunk from this morning. I should know. I only had to slice you four times. You'd think that'd be enough for you to pull your head out of the ale barrel.”

“Now Vella---,”

Jaken swallowed his tea, glaring at the tent flap. How dare someone disturb them this way. He clenched his hands around the cup, muttering, “Infuriating humans.”

“Now, now, Jaken,” Varana scolded, an amused lilt to his voice. “Yarblek's not so bad once you get to know him---for a Nadrak and Kheldar's business partner, that is.”

“Men!” Porenn exclaimed, exasperated. She shook her head, rolling her eyes for emphasis. “Yarblek's been expected and he's already awfully late. He may have vital news from Belgarath and Polgara.”

“Best drag him in here before he and Drosta hit that ale barrel then.” Varana slowly stood, rubbing his stiff knee. “This damn damp weather---,”

“Varana-sama, let me assist you,” Jaken pleaded.

Even though they were in the process of preparing their campaign, the toad demon felt a bit useless sitting in this tent. He hadn't offered any real new suggestions in days. He had merely observed Council on the move, and taken in their surroundings to remember it for his later reports to Sesshomaru. Right now, he needed a task---even if that word bothered him like some troublesome hangnail at the moment. He needed to be useful to these people so gracious to allow them into their inner circle. Even if he could do one simple gesture, it'd mean everything to him.

“No---no. I'm quite alright,” Varana said. He limped out of the tent, his posture dignified. He greeted, his voice urbane, “Yarblek, so glad you could find our camp before we started our march.”

“March? You're not planning to siege the Stronghold, are you? Not even Torak could get into that monstrosity,” Yarblek quipped.

“Oh no, we're looking at a much more productive enterprise,” Varana answered. “Come in and we'll discuss. Besides, Porenn would be delighted to speak with you---and perhaps the Earl of Trellheim?”

“I wouldn't recommend talking to him at the moment. He's still pouting about being sent home---and having to leave his ship behind. You'd think it was his wife the way he bellyaches.” Yarblek laughed, the sound harsh and guttural. “I do, however, have something from him to give to the Queen Mother.”

“Excellent.”

Jaken pulled his hood up over his head with a snap just as the tent flap opened. He had no desire to be gawked at by some strangers. He hoped that this Yarblek would share his news and leave quickly.

“Oh, Jaken. You needn't hide yourself,” Porenn gently chided.

“Yes, Porenn-sama,” Jaken said, pulling the hood back down.

Eriond smiled next to him, the expression pleased.

“Foolish boy!” Jaken grumbled.

The tent flap parted and Varana entered, resuming his seat. A man clad in furs and a woman in tight leather followed. His fur cap slid down, tilting it askew over one ear. He reached out to steady the woman only to have something silver graze his hands. He sat down hard with a grunt, nursing the injured appendage.

“Vella, was that necessary?” The man sucked on his hand, stemming the bleeding.

“You know the rules about touching, Yarblek,” Vella retorted, crossing her arms over an ample bosom. Her dark eyes flashed indignantly. The raven mane framing her face gave her a wild appearance. “I'm just reminding you---again. You get handsy, I sharpen my daggers on you.”

The toad demon sipped his tea, studying Vella closely. Her exotic beauty captured him---striking at how different she seemed from Japanese noble women. Her fiery spirit and untamed mane made Vella wild---perhaps in a way Jaken envisioned Rin being if she lived to be that old or bold---or not as subservient to Sesshomaru. Vella transcended societal expectations all the while remaining unquestionably a woman. Jaken glanced between her and the petite Queen Mother of Drasnia. Both women possessed steel wills---and yet they presented them in vastly different fashions.

Varana whistled softly. “My, my. What have we done to make Vella this testy, Yarblek?”

“I'd rather not say.” Yarblek winced, scrubbing a hand over a scruffy beard.

Vella snorted. “Oh, he knows exactly what he did.”

Jaken glanced between the two, perplexed by the strange relationship they shared. They didn't seem to be romantically involved or a mating pair---judging by her violent reaction to his touching her. And yet, there seemed to be an intimacy between them. Either way, it had little do with him.

“You're being childish, Vella. He was a demon. You would have regretted it if he had bought you,” Yarblek said, pushing forward with a continuing argument---oblivious to the tent's other occupants. “I doubt he'd have cared much about you or your well-being. Trust me on this---no matter what Polgara said about him.”

“You don't know that,” Vella said, thrusting her chin out defiantly. “Sesshomaru had a noble bearing---more than I can ever say for a drunkard like you.”

Jaken startled, gasping softly. He interjected, “Did you say Sesshomaru-sama?”

“I did. What's it to you?” Vella asked, glaring at him. She flinched, gasping at his appearance. Her dark eyes went wide. “Are---are  you---is that a demon?”

“Of course I'm a demon, you foolish mortal,” Jaken replied, puffing up under her direct scrutiny.

Next to him, Eriond chuckled, an amused glint in his eyes. He said, his voice playful, “Oh Jaken, don't take it so personally.”

“No one asked you, you stupid boy!” Jaken said, crossing his arms. Looking back towards Vella, he locked eyes with the shocked woman. “You said something about my lord, Sesshomaru-sama. What do you know of him?”

Varana cleared his throat. “You'll have to forgive Jaken. He misses his lord very much and would like news about our friends, too.”

Yarblek sat up straighter, the seeming drunkness disappearing. “He's like the other demons with Kheldar? He's safe?”

“Quite,” Porenn said. She gently rested a hand over Jaken's before he could respond. “He's been an invaluable ally in recent weeks.”

Jaken sputtered, his anger dissipating. “Porenn-sama, you honor me---,”

Even with this praise, Jaken found himself idle in this conversation. They discussed plans for moving vast supplies and men. They unfurled maps of unknown places---terrain he could not guide them through. On top of it, everyone in this tent knew everyone else---and well, judging by their banter and the casual nature of their conversations. While he had basked in the glory of coming up with the solution they now embarked, Jaken scrambled to think of something else to add, some new way to assist the cause.

“I'll take your word for it,” Yarblek said, eying Jaken with suspicion. “He's certainly not as pretty as that other one, that's for sure. Want him to buy you instead, Vella?”

“I have no interest in owning a human woman,” Jaken protested, tossed from his thoughts. He thrust out his chin. “Besides, Sesshomaru-sama hates humans.”

“Oh, I wouldn't say that,” Eriond said, a mysterious smile gracing his lips.

“Impertinent boy!”

“Now, now. No need to stir up the argument all over again,” Varana said, a smile crinkling his eyes. “Yarblek, how were your travels if I may shift our attention---,”

“Adequate. That monstrosity of a boat sails better than a Malloreon galley. The further west we went, the quieter it became. Mallorea is crawling with demons and agitated Grolims. I want no part in their coming power struggle. Bad for business, though.”

“You said you had a letter?” Porenn asked.

“Ah, yes,” Yarblek said, reaching into his vest. “No idea what Belgarath wrote, but I have it.”

A parchment sealed with thick wax passed from his hands into the Queen Mother's. She carefully cracked the seal, reading it slowly. She worried her bottom lip as lines of concern crinkled her forehead. Porenn folded it and passed it to Varana.

“Read it aloud, Varana. We have no secrets and this concerns Angaraks as much as it does the rest of us. Yarblek's our ally as much as anyone else.”

Varana nodded, unfolding it. He held it a bit away from himself, pleading, “Forgive me, My eyes aren't what they used to be.”

The tent flap opened and a burly red-haired bear of a man entered. He dwarfed nearly everyone, easily becoming the largest human being Jaken had ever met---if this man was human at all. A thick beard flowed down his chest, its burnished red making his appearance wild. Above it, the man's eyes swept the tent, landing on Yarblek. Towering over the scraggly man, he glared down. He said, his voice booming, “Yarblek, you thought you could get away with stealing Belgarath's letter for the Alorn Council, did you? You're wrong. You were wrong the other nine times, too, you mangy Nadrak.”

“You must understand, my lord, Earl of Trellheim,” Yarblek wheedled. “I find sea travel tiresome. It gave me something to do. For the record, I never opened it. I thought I'd find out here---before you could, Barak.”

Barak's eyes narrowed in ire. He crossed his massive arms, his chainmail clinking. Looking as if he'd crush the other man with his bare hands, Barak glowered down at Yarblek, suspicion in his gaze. He snorted, the sound disgusted. As sudden as the fury built, the storm passed. The giant man threw his head back, laughing. It boomed through the tent, startling Jaken. “Are you certain that you're not really Kheldar's brother? You sounded just like that cheat.”

“Who me?” Yarblek shrugged, winking. “Oh, I let Urgit have that honor all on his own.”

Varana clapped his hands. “Shall we learn the letter's contents?”

“I thought you'd never ask,” Barak answered.

Jaken blinked, confused as to what had just happened. He glanced between the two men, baffled by the obvious inside joke that eluded him. Humans remained such fickle creatures. Their moods shifted so quickly and their whims made little sense. How could they be so completely angry one moment and jovial the next? Shaking his head, Jaken muttered, “Foolish humans.”

Eriond sipped his tea, chuckling. How that boy infuriated him!

The rustling of parchment filled the tent. Varana smoothed the letter out. He read, his words slow:

To the Alorn Council,

In my absence, I've been informed that a continuous Alorn Council has been convened. The Twins have told me that Cthol Murgos is on the brink of collapse. Their threat to the Western Continent must remain in check. They told me of the plans to occupy Mishrak ac Thull. I commend the original thinking made by one of our special guests. It is a brilliant suggestion---one I hope I would have made myself. There is more, however, that needs to be done to further check the growing threat Murgos pose while we venture on our way to Torak's city.

Urgit must be rescued from the country before he can be captured by the Grolims or other insurgents. That cannot appear to be friendly, however. Instead, I say we use great subterfuge. I have sent Barak, Hettar, and Mandorallen back to assist. I need a group to kidnap his Majesty of Cthol Murgos and deliver him to the Council. He's half Alorn---and will be an invaluable ally. If it looks as if we're kidnapping their King, the insurgents should splinter and take the Thullish occupation seriously.

Urgit cannot be killed, nor can he be captured by the Grolims. To lose him would negate any and all efforts our group makes in Mallorea. The prophecy would fail by default and it would all be for naught. I suggest any forces needed be dispatched upon reading this letter. The sooner Urgit is extracted, the better. I shall sleep better at night---and believe me, at my age, that's important.

I'll keep in touch with the Twins and track your progress. Keep listening to our special friend. He has his own tasks to complete.

Belgarath

“Well, that certainly changes everything,” Varana said, carefully folding the letter and handing it back to Porenn. “Aside from the alleged prophecy remarks, I'm humbled by the Ancient One's cunning. Kidnapping Urgit as a rescue mission is a stroke of genius. I wish I had thought of it.”

“Tolnedrans,” Porenn teased, fondness in her voice. “It is a brilliant scheme, however, we must discuss with the full council how we'll handle it once Urgit is amongst us. We may need to maintain the facade of his captivity at times to thwart spies.”

“Spoken like a Drasnian,” Varana quipped back.

Jaken sat stunned. This Belgarath he had only met in passing before Sesshomaru had left the Vale. Even so, he couldn't help the pride that swelled upon the praise. This sorcerer had endorsed his plan. And yet, Jaken shivered inside at the burden that settled upon his shoulders. The responsibility to make his lord proud---and live up to these stranger's words---seemed heavier now. He, Jaken, no longer simply followed. He was expected to lead.

Why him? Why now? What if he wasn't suited for this? What if he failed? Couldn't someone else take up the burden? All these thoughts consumed the toad demon, causing him to shiver. Jaken hated the uncertainty. As a follower, he knew what to do---as he was told. As a leader, he'd be expected to make decisions. What if it became too much? The sheer panic made him sweat.

A knowing and pleased smile crossed Eriond's face. He cleared his throat when he caught Jaken glaring at him. The boy's mysterious and smug reactions in moments like these infuriated the toad demon to no end.

“Dreadful boy,” Jaken muttered, straightening on his cushion. He refused to show his anxiety to this boy.

“It explains why he'd send it in a letter. No sense in letting that be revealed before we've accomplished our mission,” Barak said, his voice a great rumble.

“I agree,” Porenn said. “We must discuss the mission with the full Council. We'll need to divide our people carefully for this mission. I think that it's fair to say that Hettar shouldn't go into Cthol Murgos. He'd be a benefit to Cho-Hag instead.”

“Yes,” Varana scrubbed a hand over his face. “We could use his horsemanship in our campaign.”

Barak chuckled, the sound rumbling deep in his chest. “You're crushing his dreams, you know. He'd depopulate the entire nation if given the chance.”

“I'm sure he'll find a way to get over it,” Varana remarked. “Urgit doesn't want to be king of sand and rock after all.”

Yarblek shook his head and whistled softly. “You Alorns sure like to court trouble. What exactly do you hope to gain by kidnapping Urgit? It'll simply yield the remainder of Cthol Murgos to the Grolims---and they'll march north and west.”

“Ah, but not if we're waiting for them in Mishrak ac Thull. We'll be negotiating with the Thulls while holding Urgit as a bargaining chip,” Varana replied, making quotation marks with his fingers on the world holding. “Urgit can coordinate his campaign through spies and nip at their heels while we face their front lines.”

“Pretty dangerous gamble, but the Ancient One seems to do well in these,” Yarblek said, shrugging. “I just think you might be getting yourselves killed is all. I certainly wouldn't roll these dice even if I could win all the world's wealth. Health is wealth, as they say.”

Jaken straightened, intending to make a biting remark to this drunkard. He didn't like his dismissive attitude towards their plans. Just as the retort bubbled to his lips, Eriond gently gripped his shoulder. He shook his head, admonishing the toad. A stern but gentle frown crossed his boyish features.

“Don't. Yarblek's actually quite impressed. He just doesn't want much to do with the details. He's completed his current task.”

Tasks? That word perplexed Jaken. What tasks? The twin sorcerers used that word often while reading dusty scrolls. This Belgarath had used it in the letter. Porenn and Varana had used it in reference to their campaign. Now, Eriond had used it. The word raised alarms. Clearly, there was something he was supposed to do. Jaken refused to let Sesshomaru down. He would not fail. How would he learn, however, what he was to do?

“I'd imagine seven thousand years experience will do that,” Porenn teased. She eyed the Nadrak, her expression expectant. “However, I'm certain there is another letter.”

“Oh!” Vella said, pulling a letter from a pouch at her waist. “Lady Polgara said I was the only one that she'd trust to carry something. It is for you alone, Porenn.”

The Queen Mother accepted it graciously. “Thank you, child.”

The voluptuous woman bristled a moment before smiling, the expression innocent on her sultry face. “You're welcome.”

The large red-haired man roared with laughter. “Leave it to Polgara. Why didn't Belgarath think of having Vella carry his letter, too?”

“Because he's not a woman,” Porenn replied.

Eriond nudged Jaken. “Go. See the Twins. They'll be catching up for a few hours. You need to prepare for the next task. I can tell it bothers you.”

The toad demon glanced around the tent. How could he leave? What if they needed his advice here? And yet, Jaken knew that Eriond was right. He'd only get answers if he talked to the old sorcerers.

Slowly, Jaken exited, none reacting. He tugged his hood up and looked around the small camp flanking the tent. Near the fire, he spotted the saintly old men busying themselves with cooking dinner. The two old men sliced, diced, and minced vegetables deftly. They prepped a roast for the spit. All the while, they hummed, one starting the tune and the other finishing. They were content to do this chore---even though others in the camp could have done so. Jaken almost regretted bothering them in this peaceful moment.

“Belkira-sama, Beltira-sama,” Jaken said softly. “May I speak with you?”

The twins set down their implements in tandem. They turned and looked at him, knowing smiles on their faces.

“We wondered when---,” began one of the twins.

“---you'd come talk to us about tasks,” the other finished.

Note: This story updates the 17th of EVERY month.