Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter One Hundred Four ( Chapter 104 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: I do not own either Inuyasha or the Belgariad/Malloreon series. Inuyasha belongs to Rumiko Takahashi/VIZ and the Belgariad/Malloreon belongs to David Eddings/DEL Rey. There is absolutely no profit being made from this story. It merely fulfills a curiosity of mine---and a desire to keep some really old friends around for as long as possible. Please do not sue.

Check out my dreamwidth journal for more information on updates and review responses. It can be found here:
https://farawayeyes4.dreamwidth.org/Note: This story updates the 17th of EVERY month.

Chapter One Hundred Four

The companionable quiet blanketed the camp as they broke the fast. Ordinarily, gruel left him wanting, but this warm and flavorful version that Polgara had concocted satisfied Inuyasha's hunger. Fruit and spice provided enough taste and texture to make it interesting. Frankly, after all the stressful events at Ashaba, the half-demon was grateful for a hot meal at all. The cheese and bacon on the side didn't hurt, either.

Next to him, Kagome chattered with Shippo, Rin, and Sesshomaru. It didn't escape Inuyasha's notice that she did most of the talking. The others nodded, laughed---or in Sesshomaru's case, snorted---at all the right intervals. Inuyasha had stopped listening five minutes ago, simply enjoying the core of his pack sharing a peaceful meal. Judging by the softer expression on his brother's face, Sesshomaru agreed with him.

The events of Ashaba had been traumatic. The mausoleum to a dead God had been full of conflict and cataclysmic danger. It occurred to Inuyasha that they could have lost many in their traveling party. Hell, they could have lost his brother before even getting there. It, by far, had been the most dangerous and unpredictable place they'd visited thus far. Miroku had nearly succumbed to Naraku's taunts. Durnik had been injured in the battle with the Hound of Naraku. Ce'Nedra had been poisoned. Naraku's puppet had lain in wait to taunt them---a reminder that in this vast new world he still remained an ever present threat.

Kagome had nearly died---or gone insane from the same poisoning as the Rivan Queen.

He had almost lost his human heart to his demon. It had taken everything in Inuyasha to hold on long enough for her to purify the poison. Part of him still felt the burning confusion and rage. He remembered fighting his brother, certain that he would viciously slaughter Sesshomaru. His blood had boiled and his body  had ached. Never, in any of his transformations, had he been so utterly possessed. He suspected that it might haunt him for a number of years.

And yet, in the aftermath, Inuyasha felt a thousand times stronger in both heart and mind. Their mating bond would only grow stronger, never to be broken. No one could ever use it against them ever again. He grew curious about what changes it would bring out in the both of them. As he chewed some bacon, Inuyasha mused that he'd better talk to Myoga later on.

Not too far away, Inuyasha spotted Miroku and Sango sitting a bit secluded from everyone. They sat close together, Sango encouraging Miroku to eat. The monk picked at his food, swirling his spoon in it. The haunted expression on his face rang alarm bells in the half-demon's mind. Naraku's puppet must have shaken him more than Inuyasha realized. While his first instinct told him to stomp over and demand answers, Inuyasha took a deep breath and squeezed his spoon to calm his temper. He'd keep a close eye on Miroku. He'd have to watch and see if the monk displayed any other troubling signs.

“Keep a very close eye, Inuyasha. He may try to bolt and if he succeeds, we'll be at a severe disadvantage. We need the monk to stay with everyone---for his own protection.”

Inuyasha's ears rose and sagged in alarm. Studying the anguished face, the half-demon recognized himself. “Are you sure he'll go that far?”

“If given the opportunity---yes.”

The thought chilled Inuyasha's blood. If they weren't careful, Miroku could well drift away---or finish what Naraku had started in Ashaba. The half-demon wouldn't let it happen---not on his watch.

The old man stood, clearing his throat. “The past few days have been stressful for us all, but we accomplished our tasks---all of them quite well. However, we must turn to our next agenda.” Belgarath held up the Oracles. “This tells us our next destination---and why.”

Inuyasha twitched his ears, irritated. He didn't want to dive into the next adventure so quickly. Rather, he'd prefer they rest and recover---showing that he'd perhaps grown soft. Inuyasha continued to eat his breakfast, the gruel suddenly seeming a bit dry. Out of the corner of his eye, the half-demon spotted the small frown on Sesshomaru's face. Apparently his brother agreed.

“It'll take us east and away from Cthol Mishrak, but we'll have to make this side trip if we're to succeed there,” the old man continued. “We'll make our way through the North Woods, and with winter setting in, it'll be a tough slog.”

“Quit stalling and just spit it out already,” Beldin said, scooping up some of his breakfast from the ground. “The Hound of Naraku wasn't this tedious, don't y' know?”

“Do you mind?” Belgarath glared at him pointedly. “As I was saying, this passage spells it out. It reads, 'Behold, the Gates of Hell may only be shut by the piercing arrow of purification on the banks of the inland sea in the Seven Kingdoms.' It's clear that we must go to the city of Karand. I think Kagome has a task to complete.”

Inuyasha's ears rose high on his head and he gasped. Soon after, he started coughing as he had been mid-chew. Hadn't his mate been placed in enough danger in Ashaba?

“Me?” Kagome squeaked next to him. “Why me? I---I don't know if I can do that.”

Garion laughed heartily. He said, “I'm sorry. I've been asking that question since I turned fourteen. No one ever answers. It just is.”

“But---but--are you sure?” Kagome asked, wringing her hands. She bit her lip. “What if I'm not ready?”

“Good thing it'll take time to get to Karand then,” Belgarath said, “We'll all be with you---and considering some of the extraordinary things you've done lately, I believe that you'll be more than ready.”

“Really?” Kagome blushed, looking down at her hands.

“Really,” Belgarath said. “I do.”

“He's right, little sister,” Sesshomaru said. “You will be ready.”

“And I will help you,” Polgara said. “Which brings up an important point, Old Wolf. When we set up our next camp, we'll be setting up some butts for her to practice. It'll be critical for her to learn.”

“I agree,” Belgarath said.

Anxiety laced through Inuyasha. He didn't like the implications or the new dangers Kagome would face---most likely head on. He knew his mate possessed the strength, but it didn't mean he wouldn't worry.

“Belgarath's right. She'll be ready.”

“Fuck off. No one asked you.”

Inuyasha gently grasped one of her hands, squeezing it in reassurance. Upon touching her, he felt a comforting calm settle over his mind. Their bond fed on the touch and his inner demon purred as she siphoned power into her body. Somehow, whatever they'd face, Inuyasha knew everyone was right.

“You'll be ready.” Inuyasha kissed her temple. “I can feel it.”

“I hope so,” she whispered.

“So, now that we know where we're going, any thoughts on our route?” Silk asked. “We're likely to encounter more Karands with demons than we will Temple Guardsmen and Grolims the further east we go. Avoiding that can be tricky.”

“We're not going to have much of a choice but to go through the forest. We'll have to avoid most of the main roads---if there are any,” Belgarath replied. “Anyone visiting you lately, Garion? It'd be helpful to know the time table on this task.”

“No, Grandfather.”

“How about you, Inuyasha?” the old man asked, his gaze penetrating. He tapped his temple. “Anyone visiting you?”

“About time you caught on, Belgarath,” a dry voice said from Inuyasha's lips. The half-demon held up his hands, demonstrating that he was just as shocked by this sudden possession. Unlike the Grolim control or his transformations, this felt different. The Purpose used his voice to speak, but didn't manipulate his emotions. Rage didn't crash over him. Instead, it felt as if he had been pushed into the corner of his mind that the powerful presence tended to occupy. “I was certain you would have connected the dots a long time ago. You must be going senile in you advanced age.”

Belgarath snorted, crossing his arms. “I suspected it when he used that new sword technique and when he confronted that wolf-demon. Neither time were good times to confront him about you.”

“Make all the excuses you need. It's your ego that needs the boost,” the Purpose said through Inuyasha. “You should know, though, you only have three months to reach Karand and complete this task.”

“Three months?” Belgarath scratched his beard. The old man pursed his lips, eying Inuyasha. He asked, “Does he know then---what your presence means?”

“Not yet,” the Purpose replied. “He will when he's ready, Belgarath. Leave it at that. You best get back on the road before winter truly bogs you down in the North Woods. My only warning is this: there will be some serious delays thrown in your path. My opposite is well aware of your time constraints. Be careful.”

“Any hints?” Belgarath asked. “I hate surprises.”

“Ask the Twins,” the Purpose said. “I must go. I've already stayed too long---if Inuyasha's irritable temper means anything.”

This being had shoved him aside in his own mind. It infuriated Inuyasha. He couldn't even articulate his frustration. This powerful entity had controlled him far too long---and he did not appreciate being the Purpose's puppet. He nearly vowed to never do anything it told him again---fate be damned. This being treated him no better than a plaything.

“Wait,” Sesshomaru said, his tone icy. “This Sesshomaru will speak with you.”

“Ah, Sesshomaru,” the Purpose said. The dry tone ignored the obvious threat in his brother's words. “I wondered when we'd have this conversation. Make it quick.”

“This Sesshomaru despises deceit. How can I know that you have only good intentions for my little brother?” The Demon Lord glared at Inuyasha, his golden gaze attempting to pierce the Purpose of the Universe.

“You don't,” the Purpose quipped. “In all seriousness, I need your brother. This world and the Universe needs him. I am, after all, the one that brought all of you here. You each have you own part to play.”

“We are not pets,” Sesshomaru retorted.

“No. You're more important than that.” The Purpose sighed. “I get it. This situation is overwhelming. I must say, you and your brother have exceeded all of my expectations. I threw you two together knowing it was a risk. That you didn't kill each other is good---but that you now trust one another explicitly---that's bonus.”

“Are you playing with my mate's life?” Kagome interjected. “He's suffered enough mind games.”

“No. Think of it more like a partnership,” the Purpose replied gently. “He has things I need him to do and I guide him on those things. In return, I reward him---as I have those I've worked with before. To be fair, I don't reward them. The Universe does.”

“Is he safe?” Kagome asked.

“From me, yes. From some of the things you've yet to face? We shall see.”

“One more question,” Sesshomaru said. “Will you send us back home?”

“The question is, do you want to go home?” the Purpose retorted. “That is a question I cannot answer, I'm afraid. You'll just have to wait and see---and trust me.”

Just as quickly as the Purpose had taken possession, it left. Inuyasha sagged, feeling the emptiness in a corner of his mind. It would be useless to ask any questions. Clearly, it had left for the time being. He twitched his ears, fuming. It seemed Belgarath knew what it meant for him. What else did the old man know?

“What should we expect?” Belgarath asked, clearly thinking the presence was still there.

“Fuck if I know,” Inuyasha said. “What the fuck did the Purpose just do to me?  How dare it play games with me.”

“Sometimes the Purpose speaks directly through one of us rather than rely on just Prophecy,” Garion said. “It isn't often and usually only when it knows we need to know something right away.”

“I hate when it does that,” Belgarath fumed. “Just as we're getting answers, it leaves. Let's pack up. We ride in an hour.”

Once it was just their pack again, both Sesshomaru and Kagome turned to face Inuyasha. Both wore concerned expressions. Their intense gazes unnerved him. He didn't want their scrutiny or pity. Inuyasha hadn't chosen this Purpose or its constant interference. He didn't have any answers.

“Quit staring at me like I'm dying or something,” Inuyasha said, his teeth clenched in irritation. “I'm pissed enough as it is and I don't need you two making it worse. I'm fine, okay?”

“It didn't hurt you, did it?” Kagome asked.

“No. It just felt weird. I promise.” Inuyasha sighed. “Can we just pack already?”

They cleaned up the camp in silence, snuffing the fire, rolling up the tents, and loading the horses. With the events of Ashaba still weighing heavily, the Purpose intervening directly, and the tasks to come hanging over them, no one seemed eager for chatter anymore.

They carefully picked their way into the forest surrounding Ashaba. The climb into the mountains took most of the morning. The crisp air blanketed them, causing their breath to steam. Silence filled the trees, instantly putting Inuyasha on high alert. Nothing seemed to live around Torak's House---and the Chandim had fled sometime in the night, their path in the opposite direction judging by their fading scents.

Cautiously, Inuyasha took the lead. He glanced over his shoulder, a small smile gracing his lips. Sesshomaru rode next to Kagome, his back straight. The Demon Lord had decided to be the personal protector of the girls---and Inuyasha was grateful. As Kagome's mount stumbled, Sesshomaru eased his grip on Rin's waist to grasp her wayward horse by the reins. With a sharp tug, Sesshomaru straightened the animal, allowing Kagome to ride safely. Inuyasha's eyes met his brother's and he nodded his gratitude.

A horse nudged into Inuyasha's as they entered a narrow track long since forgotten. Its rider chuckled softly. Garion gently tugged the reins, guiding his charger. “Sorry about that. A bit hard to navigate here.”

Inuyasha snorted. “Feh.”

“I wanted to talk to you about this morning.” the Rivan King said, a sober expression crossing his plain features.

Inuyasha tensed in the saddle. “What about it?”

“The Purpose doesn't do that that often. I'm not sure why it did this morning. There wasn't a real urgency,” Garion said. “I suspect it wanted to needle Grandfather---which judging by his irritability, it worked.”

“Next time, the ass can find another way to piss off the old man, thanks,” Inuyasha retorted. “So this task---I don't like it. Kagome shouldn't be put into even more danger like this.”

“I understand, believe me.” A frown crossed Garion's face. “I don't like all the delays---or that we're heading in the opposite direction from the City of Endless Night. Something tells me that this task is extremely important to our final meeting there, though. This is a land of demon worship. That plays a role in whatever Naraku is doing. I'm going to warn you---the demons we've encountered so far haven't been the worst we might yet see. I think you'll be tested more than ever here. Just be careful.”

“How?” Inuyasha eased his mare around a small boulder in the path. “One of those demons tried to kill my brother, remember?”
“I can't elaborate.” Garion tapped his temple. “Just trust me on this.”

“How convenient. First the Purpose ticks off the old man---now it doubly pisses me off. Why does it insist on playing stupid fucking games?”

“Because that's what all of this is to it and to its opposite. A long game.” Garion sighed. “In a direct confrontation between the two, the Universe would be utterly destroyed. That's why.”

“That's comforting.” Inuyasha snorted.

The forest grew thicker, making them travel in single file. Under the dense canopy, the sun barely penetrated, casting much into shadow. The further away from Ashaba they went, the more signs of life they encountered. The sounds of animals scurrying in the trees, birds calling in the gloom, and the trees creaking and groaning filled the air.

Inuyasha sat up straighter, a hand on Tetsusaiga's hilt. He sniffed the air, not finding any unusual scents. The only travel party in these woods was theirs. The under brush scraped his horse, tugged on his clothes, and snagged his hair.

Behind him, he heard the others struggling through this difficult passage. Some cursed, others pleaded with their horses, others had horses whiny in protest. This slow trek into the North Woods seemed an eternity. How would they ever hope to reach this Karand if they seemed to only go a few miles a day?

Finally, ahead, the path widened. Inuyasha found a small alcove. It had some fallen trees and small shrubs dotting it. This might be a good spot to rest. He slowed his horse and stopped, waiting for the others to join him. As Belgarath emerged, he glanced around, nodding his approval.

“We'll make camp here for the night. No sense in tiring the horses on difficult paths.”

The whole traveling party sighed in relief. Inuyasha dismounted, crossing to help Kagome from the saddle. He pulled her close once she was on the ground. He kissed her temple. “Are you okay?”

“I'm fine. You?” His mate gently rubbed one of his ears.

“Feh. I'm fine.” Inuyasha nuzzled her hair. “I'm glad it's in the open. It was getting old having to hide it from the old man.”

“I guess.” Kagome's arms looped around him. “I am worried, though. Miroku seems troubled. Something happened in Ashaba, didn't it?”

Glancing over her shoulder, Inuyasha watched Miroku dismount. The monk's shoulders sagged and a sober expression covered his face. He bowed his head and clenched his hands at his sides. The tension in his frame coiled tight. Miroku drew in upon himself---as if to become invisible. The monk's eyes darted around, an indication that he stood on the brink of a panic attack.

Sango joined him, gently squeezing his shoulder. The monk flinched back momentarily and stiffened under the touch. The demon slayer leaned in and whispered something. Miroku nodded and the pair walked off towards a secluded spot in the trees.

Inuyasha tensed, wanting to confront them. Concern flooded him once more. Instead, he kissed Kagome's temple. “I'm worried, too. Try and keep an eye on him---I don't want him doing anything stupid.”

“I had the same thought,” Silk interjected. “Ever since Mal Yaska, my spiritual friend has been rather subdued. I don't know everything that happened to him after he used that Wind Tunnel, but I know someone looking to bolt when I see it.”

“You---you think so?” Kagome asked, her voice small. “He's going to run away?”

“Unfortunately, yes,” Silk replied. “I don't know if Sango can keep him here. We might want to keep an eye and when he tries to flee, confront him as a group. He's sending that fight or flight signal and I know from experience that flight tends to win the most often.”

Great. Just what they needed. Was this their first delay?

Note: This story updates the 17th of EVERY month.