Crossover Fan Fiction ❯ The Shadow Senshi ❯ Prologue: Recruitment ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Alright, the prologue is mostly mine but I will use inspiration from many sources. I will cross this over with anything I think I can get away with. Everything is propriety of whomever owns them at present. If you see any mistakes, I'd love to hear about them. You can get me at Gabriel.Pelletier@Sogetel.net
 
_Emphasis_ Usually also means a rise in volume.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -----
 
The Shadow Senshi
Prologue
By The Hunterminator
 
“YOU WANT ME TO WHAT!!!!!?????”
 
The thunderous roar of a disbelieving voice echoed through the halls of the palace. The answer was pleading and attempting to reason.
 
“Listen to me before you go running off. He who brought peace has thought about it for a long time and the only way for us to prevent things that threaten the peace when our laws prevent us from direct action is to have a team of champions. Since the forces of heaven have made such teams many times before, we will be allowed to make our equivalent of it.”
 
The sound of an heavy breath being drawn prepared anyone within hear shot for the next outburst.
 
“Why me?! WHAT did I DO to YOU!?”
 
A deep sigh was heard.
 
“Kuai bo, You are the best choice for this. You are the only one of your kind who is reliable and we need your natural expertise in raw combat, both magical and physical, for this.”
 
“YOU WANT ME TO MAKE A TEAM OF _MAGICAL GIRLS_ FOR KAMI-SAMA'S SAKE!!!”
 
Many heads shook in disapproval, both at the outburst in the great palace of He who brought peace and at the wording of said outburst.
 
“Come on… I thought you'd be glad. You wanted a way to prove that the stories about us are grossly exaggerated.”
 
“Maybe, but magical girls? Please tell me you're kidding. The idea of creating a group of super powered pose and prose spouting schoolgirls makes me want to stab myself with my own soul weapon.”
 
“That's the beauty of it. Apart from a few restrictions, you can make them anything you want. There's no NEED to make them pose and spout poetry and speeches.”
 
You could actually hear the series of blinks that ensued. And quite easily picture the grin spreading on Kuai's face. No words necessary, he simply grabbed the assignment file and left the taskmaster's office.
 
The door opened and those outside could finally see the cause of all the noise. He wore the off duty uniform of the United Heaven and Hell Peace Keeping Force, an organisation whose sole goal was to prevent a war that many people on both side wanted to cause.
 
Kuai Bo had distinctively Chinese features and a muscled frame but the most impressive part of him was visible to those with spiritual senses. He was literally a volcano of shadow magic and had the distinctive tinge of a Bellumbra, also know as a war demon, the most combat oriented specie.
 
Finding a seat in the waiting room, Kuai familiarized himself with the specifics of his newest assignment. Many emotions crossed his face as he read. Scowls at a few of the restrictions, smiles at those that weren't there and pensive as he tried to find the way to make the most efficient team he could. Having a general idea of what was needed, Kuai made his way to the home of Telum Ka for the help he would need.
 
Telum stood tall and slim, very obviously not a fighter, as was confirmed by the tall staff that was obviously a focal point of his magic. He was an Umbredos, a shadow priest. Although weak, this specie had a few very interesting skills which would be invaluable for this job. Going directly to the point, Kuai gave Telum his requirements and the later sent the champion's call that would bring those needed to Kuai.
 
He then sent him to the world his champions would come from. It was a world that had been recommended by the file since it had been almost destroyed by a pseudo demonic entity. Thus, many locals were resentful and wished for revenge. The entity and it's minions would also prove to be sufficient training before the real missions.
 
As for the arrival point, it was a small house outside of Tokyo. Over the next few hours, 4 young girls wandered to the house and, intrigued, entered it. They talked to each other, finding kindred souls in the others.
 
There was a blond haired girl, Hatsuyo, a tenacious young orphan from Nerima whose sensei, a man cursed to become a girl with water, had died along with most of his friends and fellow martial artists attempting to kill the youma that attacked furinkan high school.
 
There was also an energetic brown haired girl, Kimie who had seen her family burn at the hands of a demon in Osaka. Even her skill with her family's Naginata couldn't stop the creature. Now, her cheerfulness and optimism had been severely lessened by the great undercurrent of sadness and insecurity.
 
Sakamae, her bluish black hair waving around with each movement, burned with a passion and desire for revenge for those who had slaughtered her village near Shikoku. Even the ease with which the flying beast had dodged her arrows didn't discourage her.
 
In contrast, Yukiyo's cold intellectual quest for a mean to fight back seemed like acceptance to the untrained eye. But the amount of death she had seen, her best friend's for example, gave her cool determination that could chill to the bone. Her red hair seemed a good indication of the hidden anger that kept her going.
 
One of the main topics of discussion was why they were in this small house when none of them planned to be there. The discussion would have continued but a noise from a dark corner revealed a fifth presence amongst them. They might have fled, or attacked, but the figure spoke.
 
”I'm sure that you all wonder why you are here. Let me explain before you jump to conclusions. Simply put, I'm here to offer you all a mean to get the vengeance you all crave. I saw this land and the dire situation, but cannot act directly. I can, however, give people the means to fight back.”
 
“But those means have consequences, and are permanent. So I used a simple spell to call people who correspond to what I need and might accept the simple deal I have to offer. Simply put, I offer to make you all into a group of fighters who will repel the evil that wrapped this world in shadows and thus get your revenge. In exchange, the day you die, you will join me and help me in killing those who would cause the last war.”
 
The teens looked at each other in puzzlement and Yukiyo spoke up.
 
”You spoke of consequences, what are they?”
 
A few words of assent arose and the dark figure nodded.
 
”They are mainly in relation to the source of the powers you would get, namely, me. You see, a lot of beings see my kind as inherently evil and will thus, by extension, consider anyone I help to be thus too. Bluntly put, I am a demon.”
 
The girls had a reaction that Kuai tended to call the spontaneous teleportation trick. It was usually caused by great fright and surprise and was usually characterized by an instant travel to the other end of the room in a defensive stance and a surprised scowl on the face. That reaction always caused him to chuckle.
 
“No need to react this way, if I was aggressive, I'd have killed you LONG ago. Anyway, the stories about my kind are quite exaggerated especially the Holy Scriptures. After all, the winners are those to write history.”
 
This didn't seem to reassure the young girls much as Sakamae spoke up.
 
“Oh really? And how can we know you won't simply go back on your word or worse, that everything you say are lies?”
 
To those who didn't know what demonic society was based on, the ensuing reaction might have been surprising but believe me, it was actually mild compared to what it might have been.
 
Demons being untrusting and some having a craving for dissimulation and mischief, the only thing preventing total chaos was the fact that no matter what, no demons would lie or go against a promise.
 
What his reaction was? Oh right, well, bluntly put, he growled and his reply had a very dangerous tone to it.
 
“If you had said that to any other demon, you'd be dead. Some might trick people, forget to say things or say them to imply false things but we _never_ lie and we _never_ break a promise.”
 
Sakamae actually seemed a bit surprised to hear that demons seemed to have some honor. Yukiyo spoke up again.
 
“Ok, so. To get those powers you speak of, what would we become? Would we be turned into demons? And what would these powers be anyway.”
 
Kuai lost a bit of animosity at that and answered in a calm voice.
 
“No, you'd stay as you are. Except that you would gain the ability to turn into Senshi, magical warriors if you will. As for the powers, well, here goes the usual magic 101 one minute course.”
 
“Basically, you'd use magic. Magic is the power generated by living beings. Some of you might have heard of Ki which is a basic form of magic. If we imagine magic as water, you could say that most humans are buckets with a spoon being used to send the magic at the target. With practice, it can go up to a bathtub and a bucket for casting, for humans anyway.”
 
“But I would be better to compared to a small lake and I'd use a bath tub, far too much for me to use. Thus, I can link myself to people, so that they can use my powers, thus being far more powerful than should be possible.”
 
“This is basically what I'd do with you. You would also gain the ability to resurrect yourself since I cannot die. Other benefits would be the increase in all of your physical attributes and the ability to use a soul weapon, a weapon bound to you that would be made for you, always be with you and would be able to permanently kill anything.”
 
“Now think about it. With this, you could finally kill every single one of the monsters in this land”
 
And think they did. But Kuai Bo never doubted that they would accept. It had, after all, been one of the requirements for the champion's call. And finally, after much whispering amongst themselves, Sakamae, the nominal leader it seemed, spoke up.
 
“We accept.”
 
Kuai smiled wide, stood up and stepped into the light. The girls were finally able to see whom they were talking to. He was tall, and muscular, this was certain. He wore clothes which could best be described as a biker's outfit. Leather coat, black jeans, large steel toed boots, chains and leather gloves all of a pitch black tint. His head was completely bare from apparel; only his long mane of black hair wound into a pigtail that twisted around so much that its length was impossible to estimate further than saying it was long.
 
As he approached, he raised his right hand and shadows seemed to flow into it, finally solidifying into four balls of pure darkness. Instinctively, the girls knew what to do with them. They simply each took one, imagining the best weapon they could imagine, the one they would be invincible with.
 
Hatsuyo's flowed into her and anyone having magical sight would see her burning with an aura of darkness. Her weapon had always been her body after all.
 
Kimie's stretched and quickly became a wicked looking Naginata that she swung experimentally around a bit.
 
Sakamae's stretched too, although into a different shape as it became a simple bow of pure black. She knew, without needing to check, that she simply had to will it and an arrow of shadow would form in her hand, ready to be shot.
 
Yukiyo's took a bit longer; she after all was not a fighter. Thus, she imagined a weapon that didn't require strength. Her weapon finally became a rather large pistol, quite simple in appearance but it wouldn't have any kickback or even require any ammo. As Yukiyo's weapon was finally done, Kuai Bo lifted his hand again and suddenly, he held his own weapon.
 
It was, bluntly put, a scythe. It had a round counter weight on the bottom and a second blade stood at the end of the straight shaft like a spear but it still was a scythe. Suddenly, the Girls felt their clothing shift as shadows seemed to stick to their clothing, slowly dissolving it and replacing with their uniforms.
 
It could best be described by saying that it was standard light plate mail, although pitch black, with a color patterned fuku stuck on.
 
Hatsuyo's took a green tint for her affinity with earth.
 
Kimies took a yellow hue for her new connection to air and thunder.
 
Sakamae's turned blue, for the water which crushes all upon it's path.
 
And finally Yukiyo's turned red, a clear indication of her inner fire. The girls now felt it, the power of a demon, and they also felt it flowing into them, giving them more power than they knew what to do with. The instinctive knowledge put into them gave them the basic skills needed to begin their career as the champions of the shadows but training would be needed. Kuai looked at them and finally spoke.
 
“Tonight, go together and get used to your powers. I will send someone to teach and advise you and remember, the day you die, we will meet and we shall work together.”
 
And with those words, he left. Not through the door mind you. He simply stepped into the shadows and he suddenly wasn't there anymore. As he stepped into his home, he called his servant.
 
“I want you to go to the Shadow Senshi tomorrow to act as their advisor and trainer. I want a monthly status report and once they are done with their vengeance, arrange for a few would be demon hunters around the multiverse to learn about the new champions of the Shadows. I wouldn't want them to live TOO long after all. I need them as soon as possible.”
 
The servant bowed, and left to plan what would need to be done.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -----
 
Author Notes: Well, it's finally done. Next chapter will introduce the Sailor Senshi's role in the story.
 
Version 1.2: Formatting has been changed, added a few explications and improved the chapter as much as I could without this chapter having ever been pre read. If someone could correct it and send me the corrected version, I would be eternally grateful. If you want, in exchange, I can create something for you. I'm very good at creating unconventional characters and very good at creating technological weaponry.