Crossover With Non-anime Series Fan Fiction / Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Of Gods and Men ❯ Chapter 10

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

^^V
Disclaimer: Death Note belongs to Ohba and Obata. Harry Potter belongs to J.K. Rowling and Scholastic Inc. This non-profit, non-copyright infringing fan fiction belongs to me since I wrote and researched it, and taking it is plagiarism. Thank you. *Phantomness bows*
Chapter 10
 
Ever since his rise as Kira, Light had fallen out of the habit of doing legwork. Much of his time was spent analyzing data and befuddling the members of his investigation team. Trudging through a swamp with a grouchy - make that two grouchy, black-haired men - though Mikami was trying not to complain - was not a task he had expected.
Snape ran a quick series of diagnostic spells over the teetering shack they had arrived at.
There was no reaction.
Mikami blinked, unsure of what exactly they were searching for.
“Blast it, a dead end.”
And so on it went…
 
If this was Dumbledore's play to distract him, Light had to admit it was working well. He was quite certain - even Ryuk was certain - that there was something out there; they just had not seen it yet. Normally, Light would not be poking around in dustbins or trying to charm elderly women, but he was at his wit's ends at the moment. Whatever they were looking for looked to be very expensive, and since Mikami and Snape were a far cry from attractive, though fangirls might digress, it fell to Kira to set things straight.
He coughed politely and accepted another cup of tea from the fawning woman.
Perhaps if she had been a good twenty years younger and a good fifty pounds lighter, Apolonia Bulstrode might - just might - have attracted Light's attention. As it were, Light listened to her wax poetic about her life, trying to extract all the useful information there was. It wasn't much.
Perhaps Severus and Apolonia would have had more in common, but with the sudden rash of deaths among the Death Eater corps, the fact that the Potions Master was still walking and breathing cast a deep shadow of suspicion upon him.
 
This was the fifth Death Eater's wife he had visited so far. Narcissa Malfoy had been inconsolable, while Crabbe and Goyle had been quite unfortunate in their marriages. It had been child's play to discover what their unfaithful spouses had been up to - seeing lovers on the side, but unfortunately not useful. Moreover, Madame Yaxley had actually drugged his tea with an aphrodisiac and Light had had quite enough of recently widowed women trying to get into his pants.
Yaxley hadn't even mentioned anything useful…
 
“Oh Light, you are such a dear,” She simpered. “Why don't I show you my little treasure? You must not tell anyone else, dear. It's in my bedroom.”
Ryuk made a lewd suggestion from behind the young man while Light's eyes narrowed. Hopefully, this was the lead he had been searching for.
He just hoped she wasn't going to pull out a jeweled dildo or something.
Apolonia rifled through her drawers for a moment, before removing a beautifully crafted eye. The pupil was carved from a single ruby, the structure was of ivory, and the blood vessels and veins were tooled in gold and silver.
“Isn't it lovely?”
 
“Yes,” Light responded politely. “It must have been very expensive.”
She tittered. “It was a gift from one of my suitors, long ago.”
“May I hold it for a moment?”
“But of course!” She giggled, watching as he studied the eye. Ryuk had stopped his chortling and looked serious.
So this was what a Horcrux felt like…
The clammy chill was irritating, but the knowledge that he held a portion of another's soul was quite … how should he put it… elating?
It was similar to the emotional highs he had experienced before.
A pity the Death Note did not work on inanimate objects. He wasn't exactly sure if the rules applied to soul fragments, but this was quite different from killing someone. And if he tried to kill Voldemort now, while he could still come back to life - well, the Death Note didn't work twice.
 
“I'm sorry,” Light said politely. “But I need to use the bathroom…”
Apolonia actually blushed at this. Light hastily ducked into the elaborate bath she showed him and clicked his watch open.
Ryuk chuckled as he picked an eye pencil off her vanity and began to write.
Useful of Mikami to be your eyes, isn't it?
He chuckled and finished penciling in a single name. Ermintrude Angelina Bulstrode. No wonder she used a false name for appearance's sake! That was a mouthful. It was lucky he had managed to fit the entire appellation!
 
Snape was surprised when Light returned from the Bulstrode house, eye in tow.
“Is this one of them?”
The Potions Master nodded. He recognized Voldemort's aura.
In a few days, the woman would commit suicide. It was better to leave some things resolved, just in case.
There was a way to disarm those Horcruxes. Harry had used a Basilisk fang to stab the diary - crude, but effective. He himself could brew a potion or two that would mimic the soul-destroying effect of the Dementor's Kiss. That would be enough for the Horcrux. After all, without the pieces of his soul, Voldemort could not return.
As for his physical body, that would be the trickiest problem.
 
The eye was locked up tightly in Dumbledore's office for the time being. The complex potion would take a few days to brew.
Snape almost found himself humming as he swiftly prepared his ingredients, frowning when he realized that the exact variety of oleander required had to be fresh. He would be paying a trip to Diagon Alley tomorrow.
The newt's eyes were already bubbling quietly in a smaller cauldron. Coconut milk was an odd choice, but it would provide a handy base.
He lost himself in the calm motions as he prepared the brew. It was easy to slice, to peel, to stir ever so elegantly. It was a pity potion-making was wasted on most of the dunderheads he taught her. However, if this could defeat Voldemort once and for all…
It would be quite a triumph indeed.
 
Four days later, they watched the eye dissolving in a puddle of goo. Not seconds later, Snape felt his Dark Mark burn, and swiftly vanished to answer the summons.
Dumbledore congratulated Light, but it was easy to see how furious he was inside.
* Why didn't Severus take care of him? No, he is still useful… Voldemort has not yet been defeated. *
Perhaps Harry could have more time to train and grow.
 
Light and Mikami were expressionless. Soon…
 
End Chapter
Started 6/13/08
Completed 6/26/08
Well, I wasn't quite sure where to go. I've been toying with the idea of less than seven Horcruxes, and it works. Why bother when there is a perfectly adequate magic number elsewhere?