Crossover With Non-anime Series Fan Fiction / Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Of Gods and Men ❯ Chapter 11

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Death Note belongs to Ohba and Obata. Harry Potter belongs to J.K. Rowling and Scholastic Inc. This non-profit, non-copyright infringing fan fiction belongs to me since I wrote and researched it, and taking it is plagiarism. Thank you. *Phantomness bows*
There may be Snarry inferences. I leave the fans to read between the lines. I may consider actually putting the pairing in later.
Chapter 11
 
Mikami closed his eyes as he and Light sat in their temporary room. Dumbledore had elected to assign them quarters at Hogwarts, assuming that they would be out Horcrux-hunting in a few days.
The prosecutor was fervently wishing that this was over and they could return to Japan without fuss. He wondered if his firm had found a replacement. He did not want to see how the world had backslid without Kira. If only he could be there and help!
 
Harry woke up screaming from a nightmare that night. Voldemort had been looking for something important, but it was missing… and Snape had gotten the full brunt of his anger, as all the other Death Eaters were dead, and if his Professor did not find some way to bring him soon for the final confrontation, he was dead.
What could he do?
Sure, he didn't like Professor Snape very much - hated him, more like - a snide little voice purred in his mind, but it did seem quite unfair of Voldemort to demand him.
Dumbledore would protect him, but Harry still felt leery.
What if Snape still worked for Voldemort? There had to be some reason he was still alive, what with all the other Death Eaters dead.
His thoughts ran in maddening, ever-widening circles.
 
The polyjuice potion he had found out about in the Black family library might work, Light thought. They would have to test if the Shinigami eyes could work in disguise though. Yes, Snape was an excellent brewer, so was it possible to do a test?
It was useful to have allies.
Of course, Ryuk had been off Horcrux-Hunting by his lonesome, despite his grumbles - bribery with a barrel of apples and an apple pie had worked wonders, but had reported back that there were no other pieces of the Dark Lord's soul that he himself could sense. Maybe it was worth a risk.
Dumbledore, as far as they could tell, could not see Shinigami. That was good.
 
“Polyjuice takes a month to brew, and I have none in my stores at the moment.” Severus said truthfully, when they asked. “Who were you planning on changing into?”
“Harry Potter.” Light stated, after a moment.
The black-haired man laughed. “I begin to see what your plan is.” Procuring a sample of the boy's hair would not be difficult, but the Potion took a month to brew, and their time was running short.
Mayhap a time-turner could…
 
“We would like to put it to the test before meeting Lord Voldemort,” He continued. “There are certain… abilities Mikami has that may come in useful.”
“While the plan could work, there are several aspects that must first be considered for the charade to work.” Snape said darkly. “First, the Dark Lord and Potter share two connections. The first is in their wands - the cores are twins, and while it is possible for the Dark Lord to choose another wand to prevent the connection, it is not a guarantee. The second relationship, as it were, involves a link between their minds.”
 
Harry's Occlumency shields were well-nigh nonexistent, and it would be folly to assume Voldemort would not test to see if it were the real Harry Potter in front of him.
Nonetheless, if they could possibly sneak someone who could dispose of Voldemort, Severus was all for it. Trusting the Dark Lord's demise to a foolhardy boy with more courage than brains - folly!
While Light was not quite good, despite his name, he was at least competent. The relationship between him and Mikami reminded him somewhat uncomfortably of Master and servant, but he would not pry. The means justified the ends, after all.
Polyjuice itself was not the problem.
Dumbledore might be.
He sighed. Another trip to Knockturn Alley was in order, then.
 
“Professor?”
“What is it, Potter?” He snapped. He had manfully managed to control his temper in class today. The idiot charade, putting Gryffindors and Slytherins together! On top of that, Dumbledore had, after dallying, refused his request for a time-turner, but he had managed to obtain one without too much difficulty in Knockturn. Now, the polyjuice was simmering in its cauldron, ready. He was impatient to return to his lab and scrub the remainder of the day's puerile happenings from mind.
“I was just wondering if you had any news from…”
“No,” He said. Now was not the time to deal with the adolescent. There was too much at stake at the moment, and he saw no profit in sharing his knowledge with the so-called Savior of the Wizarding World.
“But Professor…”
“If you truly wish to aid the war effort, Potter, then you may remove yourself from my classroom and practice your Occlumency as I have instructed you to do on multiple occasions! Do you imagine, that I would divulge any important secrets when the Dark Lord can read you like an open book?”
Leaving Potter mouthing like a stunned codfish, he swept out of classroom. The nerve of Potter!
 
He had several different hairs collected from his classroom over the last four days. If only the boy had master Occlumency!
The situation would be much simpler.
Implanting false memories in another's mind, though possible, was risky, and carried several hazards. The illegal nature was not a problem. Light did not want Mikami to end up brain-damaged. He had proven very useful already.
Even Kami-sama needed useful pawns.
 
But the link, the damnable bond, was their undoing. If Mikami could dispose of Voldemort quickly enough by whatever method Kira used to kill, before the man finished gloating, things would quite expeditious.
If only things did not hinge so much on Potter!
The prophecy! If not for the prophecy Sibyl Trelawney had given, they would not be in such a fix! Lily would still be alive, and well, perhaps he could have put up with James. That, of course, was pure and idle speculation on his part and nothing more.
Severus sighed.
Enough! It was time to turn his mind to more practical matters. He added in the demiguise hair and gave the mixture six, brisk, counterclockwise stirs.
 
After another three minutes of simmer, it was time for the fifteen clockwise stirs and then, a break for some tea and biscuits.
They would do the formal testing soon. He knew that the others were as impatient as he. Too much time had already been wasted.
 
“Well?”
Nothing, Ryuk said quite petulantly, between bites of apple strudel. Light had requested a plate from the house-elves, and they had been quite eager to serve. It always helped to bribe his companion into some favors. Ryuk was out for his own interests, and in this case, they were simple enough to meet.
“You are completely certain that there are no more Horcruxes?”
A loud cackle came from the Shinigami. I thought you were smart enough to take calculated risks, Light. Are you losing your nerve now?
“Of course not,” He said.
I've scoured Britain for your ambitions, and unless this Lord Voldemort of yours has sent them abroad, well, I can assure you with absolute certainty that there are no more pieces of his soul floating around.
“Well, that is a relief.” Light stood. “Mikami?”
“Yes, Kira-sama?”
“The potion will be ready soon. You are prepared to undertake the task which I ask of you.”
“But of course,” The prosecutor hastened to reassure him.
“Excellent.”
And he smiled; a long, slow smile that didn't touch his eyes.
 
End Chapter
Started 6/27/08
Completed 8/4/08
I like Light x Mikami, and in the first chapter the pairing is clearly stated. I am also disappointed that Argent Vixen has decided to discontinue Eternal Light. *Sighs*
Snape does not like Potter very much in this case, so it may not be canon compliant with book seven. Am I making him introspect too much? It must be all the Snarry fic I read!
My vacation has not been very relaxing…