Crossover With Non-anime Series Fan Fiction / Samurai X Fan Fiction / Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings ❯ Ch. 12: Forces gather to Mordor ( Chapter 37 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

.

.

.

Chapter 12: Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit, forces gather to Mordor

.

.

.

In the forests of Ithilien, a strip of land between Gondor and Mordor, Gollum continued to lead Frodo, Kaoru, Sam, and Yahiko to his secret entrance that he spoke of. Along the way, Gollum tries to catch a fish in the river. He slid around on his belly, amidst a lot of splashing, trying to keep hold of the slippery creature. The others were right behind him. Sam and Yahiko, however, were unpleased with Gollum's recreational activity.

.

"Hey, Stinker," said Sam, "don't go getting too far ahead!"

"Yeah," added Yahiko, "and don't think about getting yourself lost, creepy!"

"Sam, Yahiko," Frodo cut in, "…why do you do that?"

"What?" asked Sam.

"Call him names," replied Frodo, impatiently, "run him down all the time."

"Because," answered Sam as he looked back at Gollum, to be sure he was still in sight, "…because that's what he is, Mr. Frodo. There's naught left in 'im but lies and deceit. It's the ring he wants… it's all he cares about."

"But Sam," interjected Kaoru, "he did save Frodo's life. You could at least show him a little gratitude and sympathy for that."

"We know that, Kaoru," said Yahiko, "but Sam's right, Gollum only cares about the ring. He only saved Frodo at the Dead Marshes because he knows that Frodo still had the ring on him. I'm sure if Frodo didn't have the ring on him that Gollum would've just let him drown. Don't you remember how Yutaro was tricked by Raijuta?"

"Yahiko, how dare you--" said an insulted Kaoru.

"Who's Raijuta?" asked Sam.

"Long story, Sam," answered Yahiko.

"How could you say that, Yahiko," countered Frodo, "Miss Kaoru's right, you should show some gratitude and sympathy."

Frodo walked a little ways from the group, looking with sympathy at Gollum.

"Neither of you have no idea what the ring did to him… what it's still doing to him. I want to help him."

"Why?" asked Sam.

Frodo paused as he looked with sympathy at Gollum, who smiled back at him before replying, "…because I have to believe he can come back."

Could Sam and Yahiko understand? Perhaps not… but perhaps Kaoru could, since she was tempted by the ring numerous times as Frodo was. But neither of them had ever carried the ring. They never knew what it was like to love and hate the ring at the same time. To love and hate yourself at the same time. And to have the part you love about yourself slowly conquered. Frodo wondered if Gollum could be saved. He needed hope. Kaoru shared the same opinion as Frodo because she believed that everyone, in some form or another, needed just a shred of hope, no matter how hopeless the individual was.

"…Frodo has a point Sam," said Kaoru, "if Kenshin was able to change his ways, so can Smeagol. The Kamiya Kasshin Style is a sword style that revitalizes people, no matter how bad they are."

"…Smeagol or Gollum," said Sam, facing Kaoru, " I don't think he can be revitalized that easily, Miss Kaoru."

"You got that right, Sam," Yahiko agreed with Sam.

Sam went on as he walked up to Frodo, "…you can't save him, Mr. Frodo."

"What do you know about it, nothing!" Frodo snapped at Sam.

This took even Kaoru and Yahiko by surprise. Sam, feeling hurt by Frodo's outburst turned and slowly walked away from Frodo. Frodo suddenly felt regretful about what he said to Sam. Frodo then remembered, this was Sam, his Sam. And he was not Gollum. Not yet at least… and he didn't want to be.

.

"…I'm sorry, Sam," said Frodo, with remorse, "I don't know why I said that."

"I do," said Sam, as he turned back to Frodo, with tears in his eyes, "…it's the ring. You can't take your eyes off it. I've seen you. You're not eating, you barely sleep."

Sam concluded, as he walked back over to Frodo, "…it's taking a hold of you, Mr. Frodo. You have to fight it!"

Frodo felt intimidated by Sam's remarks.

"You know, Frodo… you are beginning to act… just a little strange," interjected Kaoru, apparently agreeing with Sam, "I did see you… caressing the ring like it meant everything to you."

"I think," added Yahiko, with a darkened expression, "I'm beginning to see some changes in you too, Frodo."

Frodo's anger began to rise again as he fumed, "I can assure the both of you that I'm perfectly alright!"

Somehow, Kaoru and Yahiko weren't entirely satisfied. Frodo turned back to Sam.

"…And I know what I have to do, Sam. The ring was entrusted to me…!"

Frodo then stormed off as he fiercely ranted, "…it's my task! Mine! My own!"

Frodo continued to walk away from them as Kaoru's concern for Frodo grew, while Yahiko growled under his breath.

"Can't you hear yourself?" Sam called out, "don't you know who you sound like?!"

But Frodo wouldn't look back.

'Frodo,' thought Kaoru, with dread, 'what's wrong with you?'

.

.

.

.

When night fell, the travelers rested, with Frodo, clinging to the ring in his hand. Kaoru, was a little ways still awake, looking at Frodo's hand which has the ring in great despair. She could feel the power of the ring and used all her strength to look away, unwilling to be tempted any further. While all that was going on, Kaoru suddenly heard talking and looked over to Gollum, perching on a rock in a corner, crouching and talking, all by himself.

.

"We wants it. We needs it," said Gollum, "…must have the precioussss. They stole it from us. Sneaky little hobbitsesss… wicked, trickssssy, falssse!"

"No! Not Master," Gollum said, contradicting himself.

.

But apparently, it wasn't really Gollum who was speaking, but his good side, Smeagol. Gollum seemed to be struggling with himself now. Kaoru looked on with great sympathy to this inner war. It suddenly reminded her of Kenshin's inner battle with the manslayer in his heart.

.

The warring Gollum continued his inner battle as the Gollum side took control again, "yes, precious, false. They will cheat you, hurt you, lie! All four of them will lie."

Smeagol countered, "master's my friend."

"You don't have any friends. Nobody likes you."

Smeagol then began to cover his ears in a panic, "not listening… I'm not listening…"

"You are a liar and a thief…"

"Nope."

.

"…Murrrrdererrrr…"

.

After that last remark, Smeagol, began to cry and whimper, "…go away."

"Go away," Gollum cackled, "HAHAHAHA!"

"I hate you," said Smeagol, silently, capping his head over his forehead, "…I hate you!"

.

Kaoru saw this with great sorrow, hoping that Smeagol will win.

.

"Where would you be without me?" said Gollum fiercely, "*Gollum, Gollum* I saved us. It was me… we survived because of me!"

"Not… anymore," Smeagol said as he let his hand down slowly, starting to fight back.

"What did you say?" asked a perplexed Gollum.

"…Master looks after us now," Smeagol said with more confidence, "we don't need you."

"…What?"

.

'That's it, Smeagol,' thought Kaoru, with determination, 'you can win… I know you can. I believe in you, Smeagol, like I believe in Kenshin.'

.

Kaoru was cheering on Smeagol as Gollum had spoken the truth for the most part. But he was wrong about one thing. Smeagol did have a friend, two friends in fact. People who would take care of him, people… who would not betray him…

.

"Leave now," demanded Smeagol, slowly and silently, "and never come back."

"No!" snarled a defiant Gollum.

"Leave now, and never… come back!"

"Arrrgh!!!"

.

"LEAVE NOW… AND NEVER… COME BACK…!"

.

.

.

.

After a few moments… Smeagol panted and looked around. Kaoru was surprised that he was just looking around, not talking to himself. It seemed that the good side had prevailed!

.

"We… we told him to go away," cried Smeagol, "…and away he goes, preciousss."

Smeagol then hopped in joy, dancing, feeling a sense of freedom. He was truly free for the first time in five hundred years.

"Gone! Gone! Gone! Smeagol is free!!!!" he cried gleefully.

'Yes,' though Kaoru, triumphantly, 'I knew you could do it. Way to go, Smeagol.'

.

.

.

.

.

The next morning, Smeagol went out to find food for Frodo. The group was resting with Sam and Yahiko on watch and Frodo and Kaoru lying on the ground. Smeagol came in suddenly and dropped two rabbits and dropped them onto Frodo's lap, startling Frodo. Kaoru was startled as well and smiles at Smeagol's entrance. Frodo looked up at Smeagol with bleary red rimmed eyes, then down at the two dead rabbits in his lap.

.

"Look! Look!" exclaimed Smeagol, "see what Sméagol finds! Hehehe! Hahaha!"

Frodo smiled at Smeagol's laughter and looks at Sam in the same matter, who in turn looked back in disgust. Yahiko was even more disgusted. Sméagol raised a fist in self-congratulation and dances around.

.

"Gee," said Kaoru, sheepishly, "you're certainly full of surprises, Mr. Smeagol."

"Ahh!" brightened Smeagol, "thank you, pretty, preciousss lady."

"Ohh," blushed Kaoru, "you certainly know a pretty woman when you see one."

"Of course he would," interjected Yahiko, "you're both ugly."

"WHAT DID YOU MEAN BY THAT, YAHIKO?" fumed Kaoru as she smacked Yahiko in the face.

Smeagol cheered, "yes! Punish that impulsssive, little child, pretty preciousss!"

"Don't call me little!" said Yahiko as he stuck out his tongue, "Pbbbttt!"

Smeagol stuck out his tongue in return, "Pbbbttt! Impulsssive child."

"Creepy hunchback! Pbbbttt!! !"

"Pbbttt!"

"Pbbttt!"

"Pbbttt!"

"Pbbbttt… "

.

.

Frodo became amused at the fighting between Yahiko and Smeagol. Smeagol then returned his tongue attack and went over to Frodo and picked up one of the rabbits and snapped its back in front of Frodo.

"They are young," said Smeagol as he began to bite them, tearing in the raw meat, "they are tender, they are nice. Yes they are! Eat them! Eat them!"

Kaoru looked surprised, as she says, sheepishly, "uh… aren't you… overdoing this a little, Mr. Smeagol?"

'He's not just ugly,' thought Yahiko with an embarrassed look, 'he's disgusting too.'

Also disgusted to see Smeagol tear into the rabbits like a wild, gross animal, Sam immediately rushed over.

"You'll make him sick, you will," he said while snatching the rabbits from Smeagol, "behaving like that!"

Sam stood, panting over Smeagol, holding the rabbits as he said, "…there's only one way to eat a brace of conies…"

.

.

.

.

Later, to Smeagol's dismay, the rabbits were being cooked in a stew.

"Argh!" cried Smeagol, "what's it doing! Stupid fat hobbit! It ruins it!"

"What's to ruin?" queried Sam, "there's hardly any meat left on them."

"Yeah," interjected Yahiko, "when's the last time you had a good hot beef pot or a bowl of hot soba? You've tasted raw food for too long creepy! Five hundred years too long, pbbbttt!"

"Pbbbttttt!" countered Smeagol.

"Hey," cut in Sam, "cut it out you two, or it'll really be ruined."

.

Frodo and Kaoru glanced up from where they were near the fire, when they heard a bird call repeated several times and went off to investigate, leaving the other three to duke it out on their own…

.

.

"Besides," Sam went on, "what we need is a few good taters."

"What's taters preciousss?" asked Smeagol, "what's taters uh?"

"PO-TAY-TOES!" Sam loudly clarified for Smeagol, "boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew. Lovely big golden chips with a nice piece of fried fish…"

"Pbbbttt!" Smeagol sticks out his tongue.

"What are you doing," interjected Yahiko, "sticking your tongue out like that! I like potatoes and fried fish, ugly."

"Yeah," said Sam, "even you can't say no to that!"

"Besides, when's the last time you tasted good potatoes? Pbbbttt! You really think you can say no to boiled potatoes and fried fish?"

"Oh yes, we could!" answered a disgusted Smeagol, sticking out his tongue again, "Pbbttt! You bet we could, impulsive child! Spoiling nice fish..."

Smeagol then scrambled up to Sam as he went on, making a sickeningly happy face, "give it to usss rrraw... and wrrriggling! You two keep nasty chips!

.

"…Pbbttt!" Smeagol finished sticking out his tongue at Yahiko and hopped away.

"…He's hopeless, Mr. Yahiko," said an annoyed Sam.

"Got that right, Sam," Yahiko added, also annoyed.

.

.

.

Frodo and Kaoru continue to follow the source of the birdcalls and soon heard the sound of many marching feet. They got on their hands and knees and crawled to the edge of the hill. As they did, they see something…

.

Sam and Yahiko, still annoyed at Smeagol, continue to taste the stew. As they looked around, they saw that Kaoru and Frodo were nowhere in sight…

.

"Mr. Frodo," said Sam.

"Kaoru," said Yahiko.

.

Sam and Yahiko go in search of Frodo and Kaoru and found them lying down near some bushes. Down below, a large group of warriors Arabian-style dressing from the south called the Haradrim, marching through the country up north, they carried menacing weapons and their faces were partly covered. Yahiko lied near Kaoru as Sam lied near Frodo. Smeagol moved in between Frodo and Kaoru. Sam and Yahiko noticed Smeagol as well.

.

"Who are they?" Sam asked.

"Wicked men," answered Smeagol, "servants of Sauron. They are called to Mordor. The Dark One is gathering all armies to him. It won't be long now… he will soon be ready."

"Ready to do what?" asked Sam.

"To make his war," Smeagol answered dreadfully, "…the last war that will cover all the world in shadow."

Kaoru interjected, "and it won't be just this world that will be covered in darkness, Smeagol… but the world that Yahiko and I come from will suffer the same fate as well."

"We've got to get moving," said Frodo, "Come on…"

.

Then, for no reason, Sam grabbed Frodo's arm.

"Mr. Frodo! Look!" he cried, pointing to a pair of giant Elephant-like creatures that came into view. They had tusks that were the size of a prehistoric Woolly Mammoth. The creatures even bellowed like elephants. Kaoru and Yahiko gasp at these large creatures. The creatures carried towers, which held soldiers and supplies, upon their backs.

"Look Kaoru!" exclaimed Yahiko, "…it's a… a giant Elephant!"

"…Yeah," replied Kaoru, nearly squeaking.

"It's called an Oliphaunt, Mr. Yahiko," clarified Sam, "…I remembered an old nursery rhyme I learned as a young Hobbit…

.

.

Grey as a mouse…

Big as a house…

Nose like a snake…

I make the earth shake…

As I tramp through the grass…

Trees crack as I pass…

With horns in my mouth…

I walk in the South…

Flapping big ears…

Beyond count of years…

I stump round and round…

Never lie on the ground…

Not even to die…

Oliphaunt am I…

Biggest of all…

Huge, old, and tall…

If ever you'd met me…

You wouldn't forget me…

If you never do…

You won't think I'm true…

But old Oliphaunt am I…

And I never lie.

.

.

.

"…No one at home will believe this," Sam said in great awe, "a real Oliphaunt in front of my eyes."

.

While Sam was in his episode of fantasy… more noises were heard, and Smeagol slipped away unnoticed. Frodo and the others look around for him.

.

"Smeagol?" queried Frodo.

"Mr. Smeagol?" Kaoru also queried.

As they kept looking for Smeagol…

.

.

.

Pandemonium broke out from below… the Haradrim soldiers were being ambushed by cloaked figures that fired deadly arrows at the soldiers and Oliphaunts from behind the bushes. Many of the Haradrim were killed. And in the commotion…

.

The Oliphaunts started trumpeting and bellowing. One of them stomped away from the area. Regardless, the figures kept firing while another Oliphaunt… stomped towards Kaoru, Yahiko, Frodo and Sam, swinging its huge trunk and tusks, scaring the travelers…

Then…

.

Another cloaked figure took aim… and shoots a soldier from atop the Oliphaunt headed towards the travelers, forcing the creature to turn around away from the travelers. The soldier fell from the Oliphaunt and landed right behind the four travelers.

.

"We've lingered here too long," said Frodo as he went off, "come on, everybody!"

.

But Frodo ran into one of the cloaked figures that grabbed hold of him and threw him onto his back. Sam and the others see that Frodo's in danger and rush off. Sam drew his sword and rushes toward one of the rangers but was grabbed by another figure and thrown down. A sword appears at his throat. Kaoru and Yahiko rush off as well and actually take down some of the rangers.

But Yahiko was inadvertently caught by one of the rangers and held a knife to his throat.

"Do not move!" ordered the ranger, "if you wish him to live, drop your weapon."

Kaoru dropped her Elvish wooden sword. Another figure came from behind and grabbed her by her arms. The leader of the figures then appeared before the captives and saw whom they've caught.

"Bind their hands," he ordered.

"No wait!" said Sam, pleading, "we're innocent travelers."

"…There are no travelers in this land," said the captain, "only servants of the Dark Tower."

"Well big surprise, we're travelers," interjected Yahiko, "we were just passing by when you guys showed up."

"There's no need for any of this," said Kaoru, trying to reason with the captain, "its obvious that you've mistaken us for enemies, so you have to let us go."

The captain then came up to Kaoru and said, "…and why should I do that, when I know nothing of you?"

"We are bound to an errand of secrecy," Frodo explained as the captain turned to him, "…those that claim to oppose the enemy, would do well not to hinder us."

"The enemy?" the captain asked incredulously.

.

The captain then turned to the Harad Soldier that he killed, who was faced down on his face… and used his foot to turn the soldier face up… so that the captain could look upon his face…

.

"…His sense of duty was no less than yours, I deem," he said.

As the captain looked at his face, he went on sadly and solemnly, yet almost to himself, "…you wonder what his name is… where he came from. And if he really was evil at heart… what lies or threats led him on this long march from home. If he would not rather have stayed there…

"…In peace…"

.

The captain's speech had a heartening effect upon Kaoru. She somehow felt that the leader was just as war-weary as Kenshin was. But then… anyone would become war-weary in some point in one's life.

.

The captain then turned to face the travelers and finished, "…war will make corpses of us all."

"Bring them along," he ordered as he walked off, with his men bringing the captives to their place of shelter…

.

.

.

.

.

Disclaimer: The Lord of the Rings and RK are not mine. They belong to their authors, respectively J.R.R. Tolkien and Watsuki Nobuhiro. This fanfiction is created just for fun, not for any commercial purposes.

A/n: so, you think these chapters were good? I don't know that myself, but remember these chapters are in honor of my mom's 50th birthday. Yep, she's 50 years old now. It's just too bad that my dad didn't reach 50. So bring in your reviews, okay, just like you did when I mentioned Grandpa's birthday. Oh, and I'm still looking for a job.

Please read and review.