Crossover With Non-anime Series Fan Fiction / Samurai X Fan Fiction / Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings ❯ Ch. 28: Stories that really mattered ( Chapter 53 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/n: Here are the last two chapters of Section 2. But wait, there's an added bonus… YOU GET TO READ CHAPTER 1 OF SECTION 3!!!! I planned to do so from the beginning when I had the extended edition of Return of the King. But anyway, Happy belated New Year everyone. 2005 is going to start of with Section 3 folks… that's right! So, enjoy these three chapters and please read and review.

.

.

Chapter 28: Stories that really mattered, Sam's compassionate speech

The Ents, angry with Saruman, were now laying siege to Isengard. They stormed the valley, tearing down the wall surrounding the tower of Orthanc, and used the boulders as projectiles to throw at the Orcs. The Ents swung their huge limbs, throwing and stamping on Orcs and rolling huge boulders over the ground. The Orcs tried to fight back, but the Ents were so huge, they merely stepped on the Orcs that got in their way. One of the Ents used an Orc as a club with which to hit other Orcs, and another Ent was pulled down with chains by some Orcs… who immediately jumped onto the Ent, and hacked away at his wooden limbs. Seeing this predicament…

.

Treebeard grabbed a boulder and, with a roar… threw it at the Orcs, knocking them off the Ent.

"Yes!" Misao and the Hobbits cheered triumphantly, while still on Treebeard as he himself… growled with the utmost satisfaction. 

In all of the commotion, Saruman rushed out onto the balcony of Orthanc… and stared out at the pandemonium in incredulity, watching the chaos in disbelief, as Isengard was ripped apart before his eyes…

Merry and Pippin threw rocks and stones at the Orcs, while Misao threw her kunais at the Orcs, their aims true.

"A hit, a fine hit!" Treebeard exclaimed as yet, another orc was dropped by a well-thrown rock.

"Kansatsu Tobikunai!" Misao cried out her Kunai attack, which hit many Orcs.

"Arg!" Treebeard exclaimed again, in awe of Misao's abilities, "such masterful throws, my dear!"

"I learned from the best, Treebeard," Misao said, smiling and continued her throwing.

Continuing their assault, two Ents rock a wooden structure and push it over into the caverns below, smashing against the rock. Some Orcs fire flamed-tipped arrows at an Ent… setting him on fire.

Saruman continued to look about from his balcony, helpless, with a shocked expression on his face as he went from one side of the balcony to he other, gripping his hands on the rail, seeing many of the Ents throw rocks and boulders at the tower…

.   

The Ents had now climbed up a slope, towards a dam and try to break it down. One of the Ents at the dam was pulling at the main support.

"BREAK THE DAM!" an Ent roared out, "RELEASE THE RIVER!"

The Ent finished pulling out the main support and stepped hastily out of the way of the water that was about to rush down swiftly down the slope…

And the dam bursts out, sending down the white waters, rushing down in great quantities, taking down some of the Orcs on the dam… then took out the mining equipment near the dam. The white waters of the Isen River slowly… but surely… made their way down towards Isengard and Orthanc tower. Hearing the rushing waters…

Saruman turned his head… and looked up, to see the rushing river coming down fast from the slopes of the mountains, about to flood his stronghold…

"Ah!" Misao gasped, spotting the approaching fast moving water, "what's that!"

Treebeard rumbled a triumphant laugh, seeing the rapids coming his way.

"Pippin! Misao!" Merry warned his friends, "hold on…!"

The other Ents, along with Treebeard, seeing the incoming wave of water, braced for impact, while Misao and the Hobbits tightened their hold on top of Treebeard, to brace for the coming force of the rapids…

"HOLD ON, MY FRIENDS!" Treebeard bellowed cautiously…

SPLASH!

The crushing force of the floodwaters swept upon Treebeard and his friends, as they held their own ground against the rapids. An Ent, still on fire, set by the Orcs, ran in and lowered his burning body into the water, quenching the flames…

The flooding waters soon reached the vast holes dug into the ground, by Saruman's Orc minions… and began to pour down into the caverns…

The rushing waters of rage, released by the Ents, ran throughout the caverns, relentlessly washing away the bridges… mechanisms… and structures from within…

.

…And also reaching into the forge furnace fires, putting them out… forever.

Saruman growled under his breath as he continued, even more so, to watch helpless, as the water took out more of his mining machines, pushing them into the flooded caverns. The rushing waters continued to swallow, viciously, throughout the entire barren valley…

From above… and below the ground…

In Osgiliath, Frodo was still in his trance, as he heard the call. He began to walk slowly… moving woodenly away from the safe corner that Faramir had pushed him and his companions against. Gondorian Rangers were still running about, defending their stations.

.

"What are you doing?" Sam asked, concerned, pushing himself away from the wall.

Frodo didn't hear Sam… he only heard the call of the flying Nazgûl. Soaring menacingly throughout Osgiliath, and he began to climb a nearby stone staircase.

"Where are you going?" Sam called out to the dazed Frodo…

Yahiko saw what Frodo was doing and turned to Kaoru, who was apparently dazed herself for no reason. Yahiko became mystified to Kaoru's condition… but tried to wake her up nonetheless.

"Hey Kaoru!" Yahiko cried out, shaking Kaoru, "…wake up! Frodo's in trouble!"

After a few moments…

Kaoru slowly fluttered her eyes. "…Wh… wh… what's happening?" she stuttered.

"Look!" Yahiko cried out, pointing towards Frodo, who was climbing up the staircase… and went onto a bridge.

Kaoru gasped to herself, in great fright and peril… as Frodo stopped at the middle of the bridge… standing there, as if entranced…

.  

Suddenly…

The Nazgûl on a Fell beast slowly emerged, flapping its giant, leathery wings, hovering before the bridge, just in front of Frodo…

The Black-hooded wraith slowly edged on his Fell beast, closing in on Frodo…

Frodo stared at the wraith, fixated, as he felt the needy call of the ring… holding it up in his hand, with its smooth whispers calling to the Nazgûl…

Seeing this peril… Kaoru regained her wits and started running toward the stairs, with Yahiko right behind her. Sam was ahead of them as he began to ran up the stairs to reach Frodo…

Faramir watched the unfolding tableau, between the wraith and Frodo from below…

Frodo slowly moved to put the ring on his finger, as the Nazgûl flew threateningly closer… and closer to Frodo…

As Frodo was about to put the ring on…

Sam knocked over Frodo, tackling him, just before the creature could catch Frodo with its talons. Faramir mounted an arrow… and shot the Fell Beast. The creature bellowed in pain and flapped its huge wings to carry it out of range. Then the two Hobbits went tumbling down the stairs.

"Frodo!" Kaoru cried out, "Sam!"

The Hobbits continued to roll down the stairs… and crashed onto the ground with Sam on top of Frodo. Frodo quickly rolled over on top of Sam… and drew his sword…

"AAAAAAARRRGGHHHH!!!" Frodo wailed out, at the top of his lungs, holding Sam in a death grip, pointing Sting at his throat…

Sam looked at the tip of Sting at his throat… then at Frodo, whose eyes were livid with madness and anger… fearing that someone would try to take the ring away. Frodo glared down at Sam with no sort of recognition, only raw, pure hatred. Kaoru and Yahiko watched helplessly and speechlessly with shocked expressions on their faces, to Frodo's paranoia…

"…Frodo," Kaoru spoke, gasping.

"…It's me," Sam spoke to Frodo, with tears in his eyes, "…it's your Sam."

Sam's words… slowly began to shake and ease his master's loathsome expression of madness.

"Don't you know your Sam?" Sam pleaded once more, with his tears slowly running down the sides of his face.

Then…

The madness faded… and recognition returned to Frodo's eyes. The snarl slowly left Frodo's face… only to be replaced by horror, for he realized what he nearly did… and was overcome by grief. Stumbling backwards… he got off of Sam and collapsed against a wall, letting the sword slide from nerveless fingers to clatter to the ground, as his legs slowly buckled. Sam panted as he slowly sat up after being threatened by Frodo.

"…Frodo," Kaoru said again, with tears starting to run down her face…

"…Frodo," Yahiko said also, with a sad, stricken expression…

Frodo was against the wall, stricken with despair…

"…I can't do this Sam," Frodo said slowly… his voice exhausted with doubt and despair.

"I know," Sam sadly replied, as he began to stand up, "…it's all wrong."

Sam went on, with his hand on his throat, "…Miss Kaoru… and Mr. Yahiko. It's wrong for them too. By rights, we all shouldn't even be here."

Sam stood up completely, walked slowly towards a wall… and leaned against it, looking out into the distance.

"…But we are," Sam finished, seeing the Ringwraith leave Osgiliath.

Kaoru deeply sympathized with Sam's loss of courage, holding a consoling hand on Yahiko.

Sam then began to explain, "…its like in like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo… the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end… because how could the end be happy…?"

Back at Helm's Deep, the Rohirrim were victorious over the Uruk-Hai… and began to flee in defeat.

"…How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened…?"

After the Uruks fled, Théoden raises his sword with a victorious cry, "victory! We have victory!"

"YAAAAHHHH!!!!" the soldiers cried their cheer… as they began to chase the Uruks across the valley…

"…But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come…"

At Isengard…

The land continued to be flooded. The clouds broke up over Isengard and the sun shone down on Merry, Pippin, Misao, and the Ents, who had successfully destroyed Saruman's stronghold.

.

"…And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer."

Merry, Misao, and Pippin looked on from their perch upon Treebeard, in rapt fascination, watching their victory unfold. Seeing the destruction of his stronghold… Saruman stumbled back slowly, into his chamber, as the water finished up… flooding the land…

"Those were the stories that stayed with you… that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand why…

"…But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now…"

"…Folk in those stories… had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going… because they were holding on to something," ended Sam compassionately.

After a few moments of silence…

Kaoru spoke, "Sam's right Frodo. We are holding onto something. All of us here… are holding onto something."

Frodo listened to Kaoru for a moment… then asked wearily, "…what are we holding onto, Sam?"

Sam approached Frodo and helped him to his feet as he answered, "…that there's some good in this world, like any other world, Mr. Frodo… and it's worth fighting for."

"…Yeah Frodo," Yahiko interjected, solemnly, "…we've all haven't come this far… just to turn back now."

Frodo then realized… that Sam and Yahiko were right. They couldn't turn back now, not when Sauron still wants to conquer Middle-Earth and then… conquer Kenshin's world afterwards. Standing in a corner, Gollum listened to the traveler's statements to Frodo… and even seems moved himself. Kaoru looked over to Gollum, who looked at her in return, and smiled at the creature. Gollum seemed moved even more.

And Faramir… who'd been watching and listening… slowly approached the travelers, with the guards stepping up behind the travelers. Faramir first looked down at Sam…

Next… he looked at Yahiko…

Then… he looked up at Kaoru, who looked at Faramir with sympathy. He didn't look the same as he did when the travelers first met him. Faramir lastly, went down to Frodo on one knee, to be at eye level with Frodo…

"…I think at last," Faramir said sincerely, "…we all understand one another, Frodo Baggins."

Hearing this remark surprised the travelers greatly.

Then, Madril then came up to him and said, "you know the laws of our country… the laws of your father. If you let them go, your life will be forfeit."

.

Faramir had meant what he said about understanding Frodo's mission. The travelers looked at Faramir in sympathy, knowing that their release could cost Faramir his life.

After a few moments… Faramir resolved, "…then it is forfeit."

The travelers gasped in surprise that Faramir was willing to give his life for them now.

"…Release them," Faramir ordered.

Sam angrily shook the rangers' hands that were on his shoulder. Frodo looked up at Faramir with gladness in his eyes.

"Its about time," said Yahiko, "we've wasted enough time as it is, right Kaoru?"

Kaoru looked at Yahiko and nodded in agreement, "…right, Yahiko."

Kaoru then turned to Faramir and bowed. "Thank you, Faramir," she said in gratitude, "thank you for understanding. I'm sure that Boromir would've been proud of you."

Faramir grinned at Kaoru and said, "come, I shall take your companions to a safe route out of the city."

Kaoru smiled at Faramir in return and nodded in agreement.

"Fare thee well on your journey, Kaoru Kamiya," Faramir graciously added, "may it be free of further incident."

The Uruk-Hai kept retreating and scattering away from Helm's deep, being chased by the Rohirrim. At the end of the valley… there was a new and unnatural forest that hadn't been there before and the Uruk-hai made for the safety to its dark branches…

"Stay out of the forest!" cried Éomer, reining his horse in front of the riders, feeling something threatening coming from the forest, "keep away from the trees!"

The Rohirrim stopped where they were, as they watched the Uruks escape into the forest.

.
"Huh? Why are we stopping for?" asked Sanosuke.

"You moron," retorted Saito, as he pointed at the forest, "those trees weren't there before, and even you should be able to recognize them."

Sanosuke looked at the trees… and gasped that he just realized that the land had changed so suddenly…

'Could those trees be?' thought Sanosuke, thinking that he does now what kind of trees they were…

The Uruk-Hai kept running into the forest, wailing as they passed under the waiting shadow of the trees. Kenshin also peered in realization of the forest the Uruks were fleeing into, in such a panic.

'The Huorns!' Kenshin thought, gasping in surprise…

Gandalf, Aragorn, and the others continued to look on after the forest… when the last of the fleeing Uruks went in…

CRUNCH!!!

.

And the forest canopy started rustling about, their branches moving wildly, making all sorts of noises. It seemed… as if the trees were crushing something… and they were. It was the Uruk-Hai. Kenshin, Sanosuke, and the Rohirrim gasped in shock, as their blood ran cold, seeing the Huorns, a regressed form of Ents, beginning to crush the remaining hosts of Isengard, with the utmost hatred for them.

The sentient trees finished off the rest of the enemy troops… once and for all.

In Kyoto, Japan…

The dark sky was still overhead, filling the people with the greatest dread, greater than that of the violence of the Revolution. But, at the Aoiya, Radagast the brown was now in deep meditation, communicating once more with Gandalf. Okina, Omasu, Kuro, Ochika, and Shiro were in the room with the brown wizard, overseeing his meditative state. Suddenly…

A knock came at the door of the restaurant. Megumi went down to the door to see who it was. After a few moments…

Radagast came out of his trance, with a sigh of relief on his face, followed by a breath of worry in his stance.

"Well, Radagast?" wondered Kuro. 

"It seems that we have won the first battle at Helm's Deep my friends," said Radagast, "but this is just the opening skirmish for both worlds. Gandalf was able to arrive at the fortress, with reinforcements, just in the nick of time."

"So, what does Gandalf intend to do now?" asked Okina.

"…A very dangerous move, Okina," replied Radagast, "Gandalf now intends to go to Isengard next… to confront Saruman and to get some information from him, about when Sauron will commence his attack. However, it will not be easy, for Saruman will still have a trick or two to spare, even when defeated. We must all be on guard, for Sauron will want to have everyone who opposes him, to be eliminated. In Middle-Earth, as well as in this world."

"…So we're going to be eliminated, huh?" another voice came in the room…

It was a tall muscular man, wearing an extravagant white cape. And with him were two others… a man with tall, blond hair, shaped like a broom… and a young innocent looking boy… who was always smiling, all led in by Megumi.

"Well," said the man with the white cape, "I don't intend to let that happen."

Instantly… Omasu and Ochika were drooling, "…Oh! Master Seijuro Hiko, you're so cool!" they exclaimed.

"Women," Shiro muttered to himself, annoyed at the women.

"Who are you, sir?" Radagast asked the newcomers.

"Oh, hi old man," answered the man the women called Seijuro Hiko, "I'm Seijuro Hiko, 13th successor of the Hiten Mitsurugi Style."

"Hiten Mitsurugi Style?!" said Radagast in amazement, "…then you must be known to Kenshin."

"Hmm," Hiko smirked, hearing Kenshin's name mentioned, "then you must know my dumb apprentice."

The young boy giggled at Hiko, saying, "I don't see how Mr. Himura could be so dumb."

"You're too young to understand," said Hiko to the young boy, smirking.

Radagast then asked the boy, "who are you, my lad?"

"I'm Sojiro Seta sir," answered the boy, "and this is…"

"Chou the Sword Hunter," answered Kuro, in disgust, knowing that he worked for Shishio.

"Oh man," said Chou, "you sourpusses have to spoil everything, don't you?"

"Hmm, I see that you all know each other well," interjected Radagast.

"Well, we weren't exact on friendly terms, old man," Chou replied.

"You can say that again," said Shiro, "he was one of the people who worked for Shishio, who was also trying to take over Japan. Are you going back to being a rotten jerk?"

"I'll always be a rotten jerk to you," answered Chou, "I meant what I said about joining along the next best thing that comes along. But after what I heard about every man being eliminated, I don't think it's the best thing for me, so I'm going to help you fight these creeps, whoever the heck they may be, no matter what you sourpusses think of me."

After Chou offered his help, Omasu spoke to the boy, Sojiro. "Hey, you're Sojiro, the one who broke Himura's old sword, right?" she asked.

"Yes," Sojiro said solemnly.

"I heard you were wandering, searching for your own path," said Omasu.

"I am," Sojiro answered, "but… I've never fought for anything that I truly believed in. Most of my life, I believed in Shishio's philosophy, that only the strong live and not the weak. And now… I believe that everyone deserves to live and not be eliminated, regardless of strength, or weaknesses."

"Anyway," Hiko interjected, "we can catch up on old times later. I've already gathered that my stupid apprentice has gotten into another big fight. I told him I wouldn't help out if he got into another fight. However, it wouldn't be the case if I were helping you people. And after what's been going on lately, I don't think that even I can just sit around this time and let tragedy strike. For once, I'll agree with my dumb apprentice, because I have a feeling… that this world will truly suffer, if I were to sit back like I did in the Revolution."

"You are right, Master Hiko," Radagast confirmed, "losing this battle is not an option that we have."

"Indeed," Hiko agreed, "this battle seems to be way out of my league, even with my strength alone. I had a feeling that you people knew about the whole situation, having a strange old man in your company, that's why I decided to come here. So full us in on what's happening."

"Of course Hiko, and I urge you to be on your guard," cautioned Radagast, "because of Kenshin's victory at Helm's Deep, Sauron will now undoubtedly plan his retribution in both this world… and in Middle-Earth. He will not leave any of you alive.

"…The final battle will soon commence," Radagast finished with determination.

The Oniwaban group and their newly arrived comrades took great care under Radagast's leadership, looking upon the dark sky, enveloping Kyoto…

The Japanese Police, as well as the army, continued to suffer heavy attack from the Orcs. They were ambushed around every corner of the mountains outside Kyoto. Despite the guns that they had, the Orcs had the element of surprise. The gunmen were even overrun by the Wargs that the Orcs rode upon. Within every meadow, hill, and river that lay ahead, there was no land unturned by the Orcs of Mordor….

Kanama, from his office in the Police department, oversaw the carnage, with the Palantir that he had in his hands, wearing a sinister smile. Mordor was starting to make its move… to take over Japan.

Disclaimer: I do not own Rurouni Kenshin or Lord of the Rings. RK is the property of Nobuhiro Watsuki and Lord of the Rings is the property of Professor J. R. R. Tolkien