Crossover With Non-anime Series Fan Fiction / Samurai X Fan Fiction / Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings ❯ Ch. 5: The enemy's plan ( Chapter 59 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 5: The enemy's plan, Sauron strikes against Gondor and Japan

The next day, Gandalf assembled the others and Théoden into the main hall. Kenshin, Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli and Aoshi all stood by one another. Sanosuke sat on one of the tables. Saito stood against another pillar, smoking and being by himself. Pippin sat in an armchair, looking remorseful, with Merry standing next to one of the pillars. Misao sat at a table that was near her Hobbit companions.

But before the night was through, Radagast contacted Gandalf of the incident with Ayame and Suzume handling another the Palantir. Kenshin was most shocked to hear that the two children he knew and played with often… also had a frightening ordeal with the black orb, as Pippin did. However, Gandalf suggested sleep so they could tell Théoden in the morning.

So after hearing about Pippin's ordeal… Gandalf was ready to give his report to Théoden and the rest…

"There was no lie, in Pippin's eyes," said Gandalf, sincerely, "a fool… but an honest fool, he remains. He told Sauron nothing, of Frodo and the ring."

"And what did Radagast had to say?" Kenshin asked Gandalf, "even though Pippin did not give away Sir Frodo's secret, he wasn't sure about the children, that he wasn't."

"He told me of what befell your two friends, Ayame and Suzume, in Kyoto, Kenshin," Gandalf said gravely, "…those children were so alone without you, so they thought they would try to see if you were okay Kenshin."

"…No doubt that they were, Sir Gandalf," Kenshin said, full of remorse.

"But what I don't understand is how they got their hands on one of those things, in the first place," said Sanosuke.

"Apparently, there was another spy in Sauron's service," said Gandalf, "he was an Orc disguised as a man, sent to your world to weaken the armies so it would easier for Sauron to take it over. Radagast was able to uncover the spy and take his Palantir. The Dark Lord was more persistent than I thought."

"Yeah," agreed Sanosuke, "but did Ayame and Suzume tell Sauron about Frodo?"

Gandalf lowered his head for a moment, trying to answer.

"…Gandalf," spoke Aoshi…

The White Wizard then lifted his head and answered, "…it was very close. The children were tortured so much that they would've answered in mere moments… but no… no they did not answer him. The Palantir that they had was taken from them, just in the nick of time. So… Sauron still remains in the dark, of Frodo's quest."

Gimli breathed a deep sigh of relief, as did everyone else. They were still able to keep Frodo a secret to Sauron.

Gandalf went on, "we've been strangely fortunate. Pippin and the children, Ayame and Suzume, saw into their Palantirs a glimpse of the enemy's plan… Sauron moves to strike the city of Minas Tirith. And he also moves to take over Kyoto, to use it as a base into which he can strike at the capitol of Japan, Tokyo."

"How does he intend to do this, Gandalf?" asked Aoshi.

"You might already know, Aoshi," replied Gandalf, "are you all still familiar with Shishio's plan to take over Japan?"

Kenshin and his allies thought about it for a moment… and they might all know what Sauron intended to do…

"Sure," answered Saito, "as much as the Battousai's other associates do. Shishio was planning to burn Kyoto to the ground and at the same time… sail from Osaka to Tokyo with an armored battleship called the Purgatory to attack the city in order to plunge the citizens into chaos, thereby making the government lawless.

"After Shishio was defeated, the whole affair was completely covered up, never to be revealed to the people. Just another shadow, of the imperialists," finished Saito.

"Well, don't forget," said Gandalf, "Saruman had an interest in your world before Sauron and Mordor ever did. The concept of taking over another world was never beyond Sauron's greed and imagination. While Saruman was under Sauron's control, he must've told him about Shishio's plans for taking over Japan.

"Undoubtedly, Sauron must've liked how Shishio planned his take over, and now intends to finish what Shishio began by taking over Kyoto, to build some ships of their own and use them to invade and destroy Tokyo."

"Man," growled Sanosuke, clenching his fists, "it's like Shishio all over again, except this time, the creep's more tougher and has more manpower than what we've faced with Shishio, Kenshin."

"Indeed, Sano," Kenshin agreed.

Gandalf then began explaining, "Sauron's defeat at Helm's Deep showed our enemy one thing, he knows that the heir of Elendil has come forth. Men are not as weak as he supposed. There is courage still, strength enough perhaps to challenge him, as there are an increasing band of defenders in Kenshin's world who stand ready to challenge Mordor. Sauron fears this. He will not risk the peoples of Middle-Earth and Kenshin's world uniting under one banner."

Gandalf turned to Kenshin and said, "and before this comes to pass, Sauron will crush all those who oppose him in your world, Kenshin."

Then Gandalf turned to Aragorn as he said, "and he will raze Minas Tirith to the ground before he sees a king return to the throne of Men, Aragorn."

"Théoden," Gandalf advised the king of Rohan, "whatever happens, prepare your armies, for if the beacons of Gondor are lit, Rohan must be ready for war."

"Tell me," said Théoden, rather smugly, "…why should we ride to the aid of those who did not come to ours?"

Gandalf and Kenshin gasped in surprise to Théoden's answer to Gandalf's suggestions and advice…

"What do we owe Gondor?" Theoden asked, even more smugly.

"Théoden," spoke Kenshin.

"Why do you act so surprised, Battousai?" interjected Saito, "its not like he's been talking like this before, or anything."

Aragorn knew that Saito was right, Théoden had acted like this, while preparing for the battle of Helm's Deep.

Aragorn then resolved, "…I will go."

"No!" objected Gandalf.

"They must be warned," Aragorn insisted.

"They will be," Gandalf assured Aragorn, "…let me handle that responsibility, Aragorn."

"…And I suppose," Kenshin cut in, "that me going to my world to protect my friends is out of the question."

"I've sent a message to Galadriel," said Gandalf, "she will send whatever forces she has left to Kyoto to help fend off Sauron's forces, including some of the Elves that have survived Helm's Deep. Let's hope it will be enough."

"Eh… Elves, horsemen," grumbled Gimli, chiming in, "I wish I could muster a legion of Dwarves, fully armed and filthy."

"Your kinsmen may have no need to ride to war," Legolas told Gimli plainly, "I fear war already marches on their own lands."

Gimli became unsettled hearing such a thing to be possible.

Gandalf then went up to Aragorn and Kenshin and whispered, "however, you two must come to Minas Tirith, by another road… follow the river, and look to the black ships."

Understanding the message, Kenshin and Aragorn nodded in affirmation.

"Understand this," Gandalf said to everyone, "things are now in motion that cannot be undone. In the meantime, I ride for Minas Tirith…"

Gandalf then turned to Pippin and added, "and I won't be going alone."

Pippin looked back at Gandalf in perplexed disbelief as the wizard said his last statement. Aoshi looked at Gandalf's stare towards Pippin and Merry, knowing fully well, what the wizard intended.

"Gandalf," said Aoshi, "if you intend to take Pippin, then may I come with you?"

"Aoshi," Gandalf responded, "it is not necessary."

"Please," Aoshi insisted, "I wish to help protect you and Pippin if you are in trouble."

Gandalf thought for a moment… but nodded in affirmation, welcoming his company.

The wizard, with the covered Palantir in his arms, joined by Aoshi, began to walk out of the Hall, towards the stables. Merry, Misao, and Pippin were right behind them.

"Of all the inquisitive Hobbits, Peregrin Took, you are the worst!" Gandalf huffed loudly, in exasperation, "hurry! Hurry!"

"Where are we going?" Pippin asked Merry, like he was still unaware of what was happening, especially with him.

"Why did you look?" scolded Merry, as he kept walking, "why do you always have to look?"

"…Don't know," Pippin reasoned with Merry, "I can't help it!"

"You never can," Merry shot back at Pippin.

"Yeah," added a very upset Misao, not looking in his direction, "its why you're such a knucklehead, Pippin."

"I'm sorry, all right!" Pippin exclaimed defensively.

"Oh yeah!" yelled Misao as she and Merry stopped and looked at Pippin with angry expressions, "well it’s a bit late to say that, don't you think?"

"I won't do it again, Misao," Pippin said in assurance.

"Don't you understand?" Merry said firmly as he went up to Pippin, nearly storming towards him, "the enemy thinks you have the ring."

Upon hearing this, Pippin began to cringe a little, looking at his friends.

"But, what about those two children I saw… little Ayame and Suzume," said Pippin, inquiring fruitlessly, "won't he think that they have the ring too?"

"…Maybe," Merry replied uncertainly, "but as it is, Misao's right. It's too late for you to say anything, least of all an apology. He's going to be looking for you, Pip. They have to get you out of here."

"And y-you're coming with me, Merry?" Pippin asked, nervously.

"Why should he?" interjected Misao, very smugly, "thanks to your brainless move, Aoshi's going to be watching your back."

Pippin looked upon Misao very sadly as if he thought she was blaming him for Aoshi's decision to go to Gondor.

"Pippin!" a voice called out…

Merry, Misao, and Pippin turned to see that it was Aoshi calling for Pippin.

"We must leave now," Aoshi beckoned the Hobbit as he went back into the stables.

Merry and Misao began walking off towards the stables but Pippin stayed where he was for a brief moment.

"Merry?" Pippin wondered to Merry.

"Come on," Merry said impatiently to Pippin over his shoulder.

When they all entered the stables, Gandalf lifted Pippin with ease onto the White Stallion, Shadowfax. Aoshi gathered what he needed and mounted upon Thendred.

"How far is Minas Tirith?" asked Pippin, subdued.

"Three day's ride, as the Nazgûl flies," answered Gandalf, looking up at the Hobbit, "and you better hope we don't have one of those on our tail."

Pippin pursed his nose, sharing Gandalf's assessments about the Ringwraiths. Misao and Merry grew sad, seeing their friends part ways, just when they were reunited with one another at Isengard. Merry stepped forward to Pippin and Gandalf as Misao went up towards Aoshi, from where they both stood out of the way.

"Here," Merry said solemnly to Pippin, handing him a small leather pouch, "…something for the road."

Pippin took the pack and looked at it, recognizing it as part of the weed that they pilfered back at Isengard.

"The last of the Longbottom leaf?" inquired Pippin.

"I know you've run out," mentioned Merry, "you smoke too much Pip."

Misao grasped Aoshi's hand as she said, "Lord Aoshi… please promise me something."

"What is it, Misao?" Aoshi wondered solemnly.

"…Promise me…" Misao began to sob, "…promise me that you'll come back to me! That we'll see each other again."

Aoshi stared blankly at Misao's request as she continued to shed tears.

"…I promise… that I'll try, Misao," Aoshi responded with uncertainty.

"…That's not enough!" cried Misao, "promise me that you will!"

Aoshi gave no further response to Misao's tears, but just looked at her with much sympathy.

Misao buried her head in Aoshi's lap and sobbed further, "please, promise me you will… you will…"

Pippin and Merry looked upon the teary-eyed Misao with a scared expression, sharing her sadness. No doubt Pippin would feel the same if he never saw Merry ever again.

Pippin turned to Merry and asked nervously, "b-but… we'll see each other soon."

Merry paused as he looked upon the serious, solemn expressions on Gandalf and Aoshi for they knew the seriousness of the situation, compared to himself and Misao…

"Won't we…?" Pippin added as he continually stared at Merry.

"I don't know," Merry finally answered uncertainly in a breaking voice, as he paced a few steps away from Pippin, "…I don't know what's going to happen."

"Please Lord Aoshi," implored Misao of Aoshi, with tears still in her eyes, "please tell me you will come back."

"…As Merry said, Misao," said Aoshi, solemnly, "we don't know what will happen."

"But--"

"Merry?" Pippin called to his friend as Gandalf mounted on Shadowfax, sitting behind Pippin.

"Run, Shadowfax," Gandalf commanded Shadowfax, who tossed his head impatiently, "show us the meaning of haste."

"Merry!!!" Pippin cried out as Shadowfax ran off flying swiftly out of the stable in a full gallop, with Aoshi not far behind him upon Thendred.

"Lord Aoshi!!" Misao screamed to Aoshi as he rode off with Gandalf.

Merry and Misao ran off after the swift horses… and climbed up a watchtower. Aragorn saw the pair run very frantically and followed them.

"Merry! Misao!" Aragorn called to them.

Misao and Merry reached the top of the tower… and see their friends ride away from Edoras on their horses. Aragorn went up to join them, sympathetically, also watching the horses heading off to Gondor. Kenshin stood at the front of the Golden Hall as he watched the wizard leaving for Minas Tirith from there…

'Good luck, Sir Gandalf,' thought Kenshin, wishing a safe journey.

Arwen Undómiel swore to be with her lover, Aragorn for the rest of her life, bearing away her immortality. But after a sad, horrific vision from her father, Elrond, Arwen changed her mind and went along with her kin in a caravan of horses… to the Grey Havens, where Cirdan, the ship-maker was lord. Arwen rode her horse, Asfaloth amongst the procession of elves, her eyes, deep staring pools of sadness. Some walked and some rode as she did. It was an unhurried slow and dignified pace down the wooded path.

Arwen remembered her father's orders to the company of Elves that she now traveled with…

Take her by the safest road.

A ship lies anchored in the Grey Havens. It waits to carry her across the sea...

The last journey of Arwen Undómiel.

Suddenly… Arwen looked off on her right…

And saw a young boy running past, next to the caravan. Arwen's eyes slowly followed the boy as he ran further into the trees. Then…

The surrounding forest… began to change into a place made of grey stone. The boy ran up towards an aged man, who was looking out into the sky. The man then turned around… and ran happily down towards his boy and jovially lifted him from the ground, gently spinning him around, laughing and smiling abundantly…

Arwen became greatly surprised… that the man was none other… than Aragorn as she continued to see him kiss his son on his forehead…

The boy then looked over, directly at Arwen…

Arwen, in turn, returned the boy's gaze as she looked down… and saw the Evenstar pendant around his neck. The boy instantly had her attention, realizing that the boy was her son as well. She and Aragorn will have a child together… and they shall name their son, Eldarion.

Eldarion looked at his mother with the most proud and most hopeful expression, showing her that she was not wrong in choosing to live with his father, Aragorn. Arwen, receiving the message, looked on at her son in sorrow and shuts her eyes as tears roll down her cheeks, remembering what Elrond, her father, had told her…

There is nothing for you here… only death…

It seemed that Elrond had misled Arwen all along. Arwen then realized that she was wrong to lose her hope as she opened her eyes… and saw that the vision of her son was gone. Arwen's hope was now rekindled and even stronger than before because of her son's reaching vision, for if she hadn't experienced it… she would have left Middle-Earth, never to return...

"Lady Arwen!" one of the Elves called to her…

Arwen turned to face the Elf.

"We cannot delay," the Elf told her.

Arwen had agreed with her Elf brethren, for she felt that she was delayed, but not as the Elf thought. She then turned her horse around… and headed back for Rivendell.

"My lady!" the Elf called out to Arwen, but did not turn around…

Arwen had not wasted another moment, going back to Rivendell with all speed mustered, deeply angered with Lord Elrond. She felt that her father had been very selfish in trying to persuade her from her firm decision by telling her the lie that she would be all alone in Middle-Earth. As Arwen entered Rivendell… she spotted her father, working at a desk in a pavilion. Arwen rushed towards Elrond, believing that he had some explaining to do.

Arwen let her cloak fall to the ground, as she demanded of her father, "tell me what you have seen!"

Elrond heard his daughter and stood from his chair, turning to meet her.

"Arwen," he said to his demanding daughter.

"You have the gift of foresight, what did you see?" Arwen demanded once more, not wanting to hear more excuses, only of what he truly saw.

"I looked into your future," Elrond answered firmly, "and I saw death."

"But there is also life," Arwen fiercely corrected her father, who turned away, walking toward the railing, "…you saw there was a child, you saw my son!"

"That future is almost gone," Elrond said, admitting that he withheld the vision of his future grandson.

"But it is not lost," replied Arwen, faithfully.

"…Nothing is certain," Elrond said with a doubtful expression as he sat back down.

Arwen came and knelt beside her father and kindly assured him, "…some things are certain. When Kenshin came to this world, even he didn't know fully if he was certain whether or not he could help to defeat Sauron. But he believed ada… he believed that he could… as I believe in my son."

Arwen was still a little angry with her father for lying to her, but… she understood his motives perfectly well and treated Elrond with great sympathy and understanding. Arwen gently touched Elrond's chin, softly turning his head to meet her eyes.

"If I leave Aragorn now… I will regret it forever," she sadly and earnestly told her father, "it is time…"

Before running to her father… Arwen had gone into the chamber, where the Sword that was Broken, Narsil, was kept on display, to which Elrond told Aragorn that could be re-forged. Remembering a poem, she knelt beside the shattered sword, for she knew that Aragorn needed the sword to take his place as the King of Gondor…

From the ashes a fire shall be woken…

A light from the shadow shall spring…

Renewed shall be blade that was broken…

The crownless again shall be king…

Elrond knew what Arwen was thinking. But did not know what to say.

Arwen told her father, "re-forge the sword. Ada…"

Elrond did not answer his daughter and walked away, trying to give her suggestion some thought. Arwen picked up a book for a moment… then…

She felt a little faint, as if exhausted… and slowly fell on top of a bed, dropping the book that was in her hands. She could feel that her hands were slowly becoming very numb. Elrond turned around… and reached down to pick up the book, standing idly over his daughter for long, but very few moments.

The Elf-lord then reached out with his other hand… and felt Arwen's hands. Something was wrong…

"…Your hands are cold," Elrond observed, tossing the book aside and knelt down to use his other hand to grasp Arwen's own hands, "…the life of the Eldar is leaving you…"

Arwen paused a moment before replying, "…this was my choice."

Elrond knew what was happening… she was becoming mortal. Elrond grieved very deeply. After all his attempts to bring his daughter with him to Valinor… he had been unsuccessful in the end.

"Ada, whether by your will or not," Arwen said to her sad father, "…there is no ship now, that can bear me hence."

"Yes," replied Elrond fatefully, still in great grief, "you have given away your life's grace… I cannot protect you anymore." 

With Elrond, still a little grieved with the fact that he has to give up Arwen… decided to honor her wish and immediately ordered for Narsil to be re-forged, so Aragorn could use it. The task of re-forging the sword was given to Elrond's other children, his twin sons, Elladan and Elrohir.

The twins worked endlessly as the used the pieces of the old sword to heat them, so they could mend it together, with the clanging of their hammers…

CHING…!

CHING&# 8230;!

CHING…! 

Elrond looked on, observing his sons' work in re-forging Narsil, making it stronger than before…

As time moved on…

The work on the sword was nearly complete. The sword of Elendil and Isildur would once again be used against Sauron, but will also be given… a new name…

Gandalf, Aoshi, and Pippin hurried, with all speed, to Minas Tirith, to warn the Steward of Gondor, Denethor, of the invasion from Mordor that will soon come. Even when Pippin was sleeping, the valiant riders never slowed in their course… determined to reach Gondor.

And on certain occasions… Pippin would ride with Aoshi each time they took small breaks. The riders then crossed a small pond on the third day…

Gandalf turned to Pippin and Aoshi and called out, "we've just passed into the realm of Gondor!"

"Is Minas Tirith much further?" inquired Aoshi.

"Not much further now, Aoshi," answered Gandalf…

Gandalf, Pippin and Aoshi crested upon a hill…

And looked upon the great, white city delved into the side of the mountain. Seven concentric walls it had and many towers. And the topmost circle of the city was built upon a great crag that nearly divided the city in half. The crag was seven hundred feet high. At the summit of this mighty keep, stood the Citadel of Anarion and the Court of the fountain.

The sight of it was boundless within Aoshi's eyes… as it was like a giant white castle to him.

"Minas Tirith, city of Kings," announced Gandalf.

'Magnificent,' thought Aoshi with great awe…

Dis claimer: I do not own Rurouni Kenshin or Lord of the Rings. RK is the property of Nobuhiro Watsuki and Lord of the Rings is the property of Professor J. R. R. Tolkien

-

A/n: Yep, the next chapter is the arrival in Minas Tirith. Could you think of a better way to end Valentines Day, with the White City of Gondor? I could. Anyway, please read and review.